PDA

View Full Version : MLS officiating analysis - huh.. interesting..

__wowza
04-21-2010, 03:55 PM
http://mlsnet.com/content/us-ref-analyzes-calls-week
currently up on the MLS website, they're discussing questionable calls this week.

Parkdale
04-21-2010, 03:57 PM
so it looks like it's just a ref reviewing the close calls of the past week, like a commentator? or is this actually some kind of binding arbitration? what a strange thing for them to do on the official site!!!

bimmer
04-21-2010, 04:54 PM
so it looks like it's just a ref reviewing the close calls of the past week, like a commentator? or is this actually some kind of binding arbitration? what a strange thing for them to do on the official site!!!

It's not really an original concept... I know that the NFL network has a segment where the "chief officiating official" (or something) goes through calls made in the past week and explains the rulings and acknowledges mistakes.

Blizzard
04-21-2010, 10:16 PM
http://mlsnet.com/content/us-ref-analyzes-calls-week
currently up on the MLS website, they're discussing questionable calls this week.

Too bad they didn't analyze the phantom handball.

Pachuco
04-21-2010, 10:40 PM
I found this really interesting actually. good read.

werewolf
04-21-2010, 10:45 PM
It's not really an original concept... I know that the NFL network has a segment where the "chief officiating official" (or something) goes through calls made in the past week and explains the rulings and acknowledges mistakes.

its interesting. But the that one and this article, are both critiques hosted through media that the leagues own and control.

JDG
04-21-2010, 10:55 PM
I found this really interesting actually. good read.

Agreed

Too bad they didn't analyze the phantom handball.

Conspicuous in it's absence?

sulfur
04-22-2010, 05:58 AM
This was done last year too -- but through the USSF referee's site.

On the MLS site (when it works), it definitely gets more exposure.

profit89
04-22-2010, 06:05 AM
Step in the right direction for MLS. More openness and stop pretending everything is fine in MLS.

__wowza
04-22-2010, 08:23 AM
its interesting. But the that one and this article, are both critiques hosted through media that the leagues own and control.

oh i agree entirely, but at the same time they're addressing that there have been issues. with wording like "unfair advantage" coming from one of their guys, they seem to be addressing that they have indeed made mistakes. i think it's a breath of fresh air.

Mark in Ottawa
04-22-2010, 08:49 AM
I wonder what John Carver would have to say? :rolleyes:

Pachuco
04-22-2010, 09:11 AM
I wonder what John Carver would have to say? :rolleyes:

John Carver would have publicly accused JDG of being a coward for jumping out of the wall :)

Darlofletch
04-22-2010, 09:21 AM
re the pickens foul, lack of a card.

“For this particular case, a yellow works here,” Tamberino said. “We didn’t want any more than a yellow card. We didn’t think it was excessive force. It was definitely reckless.”

it's not about excessive force, it's about denying a goalscoring opportunity, cronin would have been through with maybe a defender or two on the line but no goalkeeper to beat. How that wasn't a red card is beyond me, if that had been a defender, leaving cronin through with just the goalie to beat it would have been red, so why not in this case, when the goalscoring chance would have been even easier?

sulfur
04-22-2010, 09:25 AM
it's not about excessive force, it's about denying a goalscoring opportunity, cronin would have been through with maybe a defender or two on the line but no goalkeeper to beat.
Defenders are considered (for whatever reason) harder to beat than GKs.

And there was one (almost) on the line, and another coming across to help. 1v2 is not a "clear goalscoring opportunity."