PDA

View Full Version : Red Bulls to host pre-season tournie with Man City, Spurs, and Sporting Lisbon

fdasilva
04-21-2010, 01:40 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2010/04/21/new_york_manchester_city_united/

The tournament will be played july 22-25...

Whoop
04-21-2010, 01:42 PM
This is something TFC should consider doing... without TFC. LOL

BC101
04-21-2010, 01:43 PM
This is something TFC should consider doing... without TFC. LOL
LOL yes...

TFC Cityboy
04-21-2010, 01:43 PM
Roadtrip!!!!!!

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-21-2010, 02:55 PM
Other MLS teams are lining up big friendlies left, right, and centre. With all the big teams coming over to NA, TFC better lineup something decent.

Whoop
04-21-2010, 03:04 PM
I hate midseason friendlies... but if they insist on having them then I hope it's someone decent.

Brooker
04-21-2010, 03:13 PM
nothing I like more than a competitor tiring out playing useless games and risking injuries.

i hope they have more tournaments!

Oldtimer
04-21-2010, 03:19 PM
nothing I like more than a competitor tiring out playing useless games and risking injuries.

Great idea!

Do you think they could schedule 4 or 5 more? Preferably against the most difficult and roughest playing teams possible.

:D

Detroit_TFC
04-21-2010, 04:38 PM
Roadtrip!!!!!!

Hell yeah.

I was planning on going to the game in Philly on 7/17 anyway, I'm just going to stay through the next weekend. Glad I didn't get an air ticket yet, I'll probably drive now, so I won't have to rent a car.

MrHawk
04-21-2010, 04:41 PM
I hate midseason friendlies... but if they insist on having them then I hope it's someone decent.

I hear FK Borac Banja Luka are close to coming here.

Along with

Orlando Pirates
Millwall
Joe Public
Charleston Battery
TFC Academy

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-21-2010, 04:55 PM
^ I wouldn't turn my nose up at Millwall.

Whoop
04-21-2010, 05:06 PM
I'm holding out for the Kaizer Chiefs myself.

Kevvv
04-21-2010, 05:10 PM
that would be a riot

Shakes McQueen
04-21-2010, 05:18 PM
Man, Kaizer Chiefs or Orlando Pirates would be awesome, haha. I don't even mean that ironically.

- Scott

Canary Canuck
04-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Paul Beirne did say the phone's been ringing off the hook since word of grass got around.

Shakes McQueen
04-21-2010, 06:14 PM
Paul Beirne did say the phone's been ringing off the hook since word of grass got around.

That's good to know. I imagine it also helps to have a proper grass pitch, and not trucked in squares of temporary stuff.

- Scott

Whoop
04-21-2010, 06:31 PM
That's two rivals that now are hosting a tournament (NYRB and Chicago).

On one hand I'm jealous because both have got some quality teams coming. (Chicago - Paris St. Germain, Red Star Belgrade, Legia Warsaw; New York - Manchester City, Tottenham and Sporting Lisbon)

But on the other hand, more potential for injury and/or fatigue.

Oblio2
04-21-2010, 06:59 PM
And those players involved in WC wont be there

MrHawk
04-21-2010, 07:10 PM
That's two rivals that now are hosting a tournament (NYRB and Chicago).

On one hand I'm jealous because both have got some quality teams coming. (Chicago - Paris St. Germain, Red Star Belgrade, Legia Warsaw; New York - Manchester City, Tottenham and Sporting Lisbon)

But on the other hand, more potential for injury and/or fatigue.

I don't imagine any top players would be showing up from any squad.

Maybe one or two during a high profile match..........but unlikely MOdric, Kranjcar, Corluka would be there (Just my opinion)

Suds
04-21-2010, 07:16 PM

I'm with ya on that. No way I want TFC playing 3 extra games in July.

We already have the Carlsberg Cup game and likely another firendly to be lined up. That's more than enough. If TFC is playing extra games I want it to be becuase they are int he CONCACAF tournament.

Detroit_TFC
04-21-2010, 07:55 PM
Well, with Utd playing Celtic in T.O. (obviously not confirmed yet but likely) that should satisfy some desire to see big name teams. Our team is probably better served staying off the exhibition circuit this year.

Whoop
04-21-2010, 08:13 PM
I don't imagine any top players would be showing up from any squad.

Maybe one or two during a high profile match..........but unlikely MOdric, Kranjcar, Corluka would be there (Just my opinion)

End of July? They might be playing especially with the EPL season starting on August 14th. The guys that likely wouldn't be playing would be the ones who just played in the World Cup.

If anything guys who have been signed by those teams will likely be playing in order to get acclimatized to the team.

The one in Chicago... that tournament I can see no one there because of the WC.

CretanBull
04-21-2010, 08:34 PM
I'd rather big teams come here to play each other than see them play us. They ruin our season, tire us out, exposes us to injuries etc. On top of that, I don't get any enjoyment seeing Aston Villa pound our team.

Whoop
04-21-2010, 08:38 PM
That's what I mean... it's something BMO Field should be looking at for the European pre-season.

A 3 or 4 team pre season tournament, that is common place in Europe, could certainly sell here.

Shakes McQueen
04-21-2010, 09:09 PM
I think that'd be a great idea. Though I will admit, it was pretty thrilling to see Gala score that goal against Madrid last season, even though we were getting pounded.

- Scott

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-21-2010, 09:23 PM
I'd like to see us play PSG, they're a bigish team, they got some good players, but wouldn't roll us.

Pachuco
04-21-2010, 09:40 PM

Must be teams from the Qatar Stars League. They have problems growing grass in the desert and don't get to play on it often.

cmonyoureds
04-21-2010, 09:54 PM
I'll put in a good word for TFC with my nephew's Timbit's team.

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-21-2010, 10:36 PM
Interesting post from Goff:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/

Rangers and Celtic are tentatively planning preseason trips to North America in late July, including Rangers against D.C. United at RFK Stadium.

Fenway would be available July 19-28 while the Red Sox are on a 10-day West Coast road trip.

Other potential matches and sites:

Rangers vs. Club America at Dallas Cowboys Stadium
Celtic at Toronto FC
Celtic vs. team to be determined in Philadelphia
Manchester United vs. MLS All-Stars in Houston
Manchester United at Philadelphia Union
(Man U has also committed to playing at Chivas Guadalajara)

We should learn soon whether some, or all, of these proposals come to fruition.

Whoop
04-21-2010, 10:39 PM
Maybe he means Celtic vs Manchester United in Toronto?

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-21-2010, 10:50 PM
^ I'm hoping he's not mistaken. Celtic would suit me fine.

buddies
04-22-2010, 03:21 PM
^ I'm hoping he's not mistaken. Celtic would suit me fine.

From the BBC yesterday ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/scot_prem/8635171.stm

... Rangers and Celtic are considering an offer to play a friendly in the USA this summer.
The fierce rivals have never met outside Glasgow but could be set to meet in Boston during a close-season tour of North America in July.
A US-based promotions company is behind the plan, which is at an early stage.
Celtic are tentatively scheduled to play Manchester United in Toronto in July, while Rangers are believed to be arranging games in Miami and New York.
The venue for any derby would likely be the Gillette Stadium in Massachusetts, where Celtic drew 1-1 with New England Revolution in July 2006.

More than 16,000 spectators were in attendance for that match but organisers would be confident of selling out the 68,756-capacity ground for an Old Firm game, generating some much-needed revenue for both clubs.
A similar proposal was mooted six years ago, with Australia as the host country, but the match never materialised.
The general secretary of the Rangers Supporters' Association believes an Old Firm game played in Boston or elsewhere in the USA in the summer would be "quite a spectacle".
John McMillan told BBC Scotland: "I'm quite sure from the point of view of ex-pat fans and American/Canadian locals who are fans, it would be quite a spectacle.
"Celtic have a large support in the Boston area, so from that point of view it would be attractive.
"There would be some security concerns surrounding the match, but if the right precautions are taken, it could be a good thing."