PDA

View Full Version : When do you see Mo walking the plank?

Oldtimer
04-21-2010, 08:55 AM
So most people here want Mo gone. When do you see him leaving the organization?

S_D
04-21-2010, 08:57 AM
the end of the season or when TFC are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. He won't leave earlier unless pried out with a crowbar.

bgnewf
04-21-2010, 09:45 AM
If we god forbid crash out of the Voyageurs then I think the clamour for Mo's head from the fan base will be too loud to ignore. If we lose this trophy I think he is gone.

If not I don't see him gone before the end of the season at the earliest.

s2cazz
04-21-2010, 09:49 AM

Every night when I fall asleep I have sweet sweet dreams of an CCL winning Mo Johnston-less TFC.:scarf:

Redcoe15
04-21-2010, 09:53 AM
The right side of my brain says "the sooner the better!"

The left side of my brain says "I have no idea."

ensco
04-21-2010, 10:13 AM
Could be mid May, next four league games are very tough ones against relatively stylish teams.

Roogsy
04-21-2010, 10:16 AM
Not soon enough.

Whoop
04-21-2010, 10:19 AM
1) If Toronto doesn't win the NCC, I could see MLSE gassing him after that.

2) If Toronto does win the NCC, I say at the end of the year.

Hooligan69
04-21-2010, 10:19 AM
When do you see Mo walking the plank?

Never. Mo will survive earthquakes, volcanoes, famine, another ice age and, finally, nuclear holocaust... and TFC still won't make the playoffs.

Globetrotter
04-21-2010, 11:04 AM
assuming we continue our run of futility, I'd imagine he'd be gone during the season so the new guy can be a part of live games instead of just off season work.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-21-2010, 11:07 AM
I'll wait till this new MASSIVE signing is announced! ;)

Beach_Red
04-21-2010, 11:54 AM
For all their problems, MLSE usually do what they say they will. They said they'd give him the season to make the playoffs and they will. If the team makes the playoffs they'll live up to the contract they signed and let him continue.

As they should really, a deal's a deal. They told him what he needs to do to keep his job so if he does that (make the playoffs) they'll honour their end. They're inept, not dishonourable.

And if they don't make the playoffs, they're going to have to negotiate with the next GM and they won't be offering any more money than any other team, so their reputation is important.

It's not a great sales pitch to the next GM, "Oh, and no matter what we tell you, we'll let the fans decide when you're fired."

The next GM will negotiate a much better dal for himself than Mo did - no one's going to come here for a series of one-year contracts (unless, please no, they sign someone desperate for a job) and MLSE will be able to offer a better contract because the team has had years of profits.

This is no longer an expansion team, so it doesn't have to think like one. It's time to go after an established, successful GM and give him a multiple-year contract for big money.

Like they did with their other teams.

FOGES
04-21-2010, 11:56 AM
For me, Mo is fired due to these items:

1) Sure we want playoffs this year, but he built a team last year where we were constantly and consistenly told that playoffs was the goal - FAIL

2) Obviously, playoffs is the goal again this year. however, little improvement to the team has been displayed. There are plenty of question marks surrounding the team and the organization. And, in this league (yes anything can happen) a poor start often doesnt translate into later success. sure its possible, but if your drycleaner ruins your stuff 3 times in a row, do you go back to the same drycleaner in hopes that it wont happen again? hell no, you find a new guy.

3) Since the MLS campaign has started so poorly, the NCC is hugely important for me. At the very least we've gotta retain the cup. If we do, i say Mo stays until the end of the season. If we dont he's gone the next day...its as simple as that

Shakes McQueen
04-21-2010, 12:40 PM
I guessed late July. The roster is already more or less set for this season - the margin for improving the team is slim. Hence, it makes little sense to can Mo in the near future... as much as I would like that.

My guess is they give Mo his shot, and if/when it looks like another lost season, they make him walk the plank somewhere between July-September, before the season is over, to give some "hope" to the fans.

If we somehow manage to retain the NCC, I'd project that he gets until the end of the season.

I look at it this way: Last year Mo was able to point to a marginal improvement in the club's fortunes - we finished with a slightly better overall record, and won the NCC - even though many of us thought he should have been given the pink slip.

If the team takes a step backwards this season (and by all accounts, this looks to be the case), then he is cooked.

- Scott

ensco
04-21-2010, 12:46 PM
For all their problems, MLSE usually do what they say they will. They said they'd give him the season to make the playoffs and they will. If the team makes the playoffs they'll live up to the contract they signed and let him continue.

As they should really, a deal's a deal. They told him what he needs to do to keep his job so if he does that (make the playoffs) they'll honour their end. They're inept, not dishonourable.

I'm not sure how that would violate "the deal", if we're 2-9 and it's obvious we won't make the playoffs in May. You can't just ignore the facts and throw the season away.

Beach_Red
04-21-2010, 01:21 PM
I'm not sure how that would violate "the deal", if we're 2-9 and it's obvious we won't make the playoffs in May. You can't just ignore the facts and throw the season away.

Once the team is mathematically eliminated, sure. Until then it may only be "obvious" to us (it was obvious to us last year or the year before).

The problem is, DC will also be 2-9 as will a few other teams. The playoffs won't be decided till the final game, not because so many teams will still be in the hunt but because so many teams will be bunched near the bottom.

Then the GMs from all those teams at the bottom will play musical chairs in the off season.

ilikemusic
04-21-2010, 01:50 PM
He will never lose this job.

At this point, I have to assume he has naked pictures of Tom Anselmi or something.

There is no logical reason why he is still managing this team. I dont see why more of the same should change his standing.

ParadymeTFC
04-21-2010, 01:51 PM
Who cares, its already too late.

Oblio2
04-21-2010, 02:09 PM
If we god forbid crash out of the Voyageurs then I think the clamour for Mo's head from the fan base will be too loud to ignore. If we lose this trophy I think he is gone.

If not I don't see him gone before the end of the season at the earliest.

+1

:(

Bombonera
04-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Could be mid May, next four league games are very tough ones against relatively stylish teams.
I think that if we great creamed, and by creamed I mean totally embarassed by Seattle, the plank he has been walking for some time gets much shorter.

I have to agree that the voyager cup gives him some hope in that a win would be most welcomed by fans and MLSE. Failure to generate home wins in that one = GONE FOR SURE

Brooker
04-21-2010, 03:17 PM
I hope we extend his contract and let him try a 15 year plan.

Let's give him another chance!

Pachuco
04-21-2010, 03:22 PM
If we don't outright win the Canada Cup then NOMO MOJO. I will stand naked in front of BMO until MOJO is gone.

jloome
04-21-2010, 05:17 PM
If lose three or four more in a row, without a win? 1-7? 1-8? Either of those might do it.

Losses mount, pressure grows. I figure they'll want someone in in time for the next transfer window (end of June?) if they're gonna pull the pin.

Shakes McQueen
04-21-2010, 05:21 PM
If lose three or four more in a row, without a win? 1-7? 1-8? Either of those might do it.

Losses mount, pressure grows. I figure they'll want someone in in time for the next transfer window (end of June?) if they're gonna pull the pin.

That's true. Never underestimate the pressure of having an absolutely shocking record.

- Scott

Dirk Diggler
04-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Realistically, I don't see him being fired until a)We lose the NCC or b)End of the season. Sure, a long ass stretch of losses just might do it but considering how TFC is fairly decent at home, I don't see that happening.

Mind you that I don't think either timeframe for his firing is preferable. As someone already stated, it is pretty much irrelevant now since he should have been sacked long ago.

levyashin
04-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Please make it sooner than later,he has screwed up to many times.Preki could take over from him and do both jobs for the season after all he has Danny D and Jimmie Boy to do the slog work.

Oblio2
04-21-2010, 09:31 PM

Everynight in my dreams

Damien
04-21-2010, 09:35 PM
Never. Mo will survive earthquakes, volcanoes, famine, another ice age and, finally, nuclear holocaust... and TFC still won't make the playoffs.

so you're saying he's like a cockroach? :lol:

andyc
04-21-2010, 09:50 PM
When will Mo go?

At least 3 years too late....

Bombonera
04-21-2010, 09:52 PM
He sure as hell isn't a fucking twinky...

Bombonera
04-21-2010, 09:57 PM
He gets paid... and clearly does not have the dignity to "fold".

Maybe he gets a job back at home...maybe.. But I guess failure..total and complete failure, with all the resources at hand in the MLs won't transalte professionally into anything.. THe money is good... And I do believe he has an extention.

YUp, parts of me hurt..and have hurt... and I don't think he for a second gives a rat's ass anymore. He has lawyers.

jabbronies
04-22-2010, 07:53 AM

That's my take on it. I think if the season is to be salvaged, it has to be done soon in order to bring in some decent players and turn the tide.

It seems that Mo doesn't have the contacts to build a winner. We need someone who does.

koryo
04-22-2010, 08:01 AM
I don't really think he'll go until the end of the season... and even then who knows? MLSE don't have a clue regarding a replacement do they.

End of season sounds about right. Realistically though, he should have been sacked the morning after last year's 0-5 against New York.

__wowza
04-22-2010, 08:43 AM
it's OK guys, he wants to win just like we do!

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/799055--johnston-asks-tfc-fans-for-patience

Bombonera
04-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Mo's not being accountable. He's blaming the collective bargaining...

I think if he was to say, "I fucked this up", and was to have done so weeks (or years) ago, then at least I would be vieing him a bit differerently.

His nonsence, and his way of throwing sound bytes around is really arrogant and generally annoying.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-22-2010, 05:33 PM
sadly i think itll be later rather than sooner

Bombonera
04-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Deep down I suspect OMY is probably right, which is wy I am at least at this point so friggin mad.

twistedchinaman
04-22-2010, 08:45 PM
Lose the Canadian Championship -- he's gassed immediately.

james
04-22-2010, 08:49 PM
part of me says get rid of preki and Mo NOW. The other part says all we have been doing since day 1 is eliminate players and coaches, we've had something like 75 players on TFC and 4 coaches in just 3 seasons and a few games into the 4th. Maybe we shouled actually try to play a full season with 1 coach and the same players, maybe we will actually inprove as a team, we havent tryed that yet. But then again the other part of me says no these guys will never win, lets just get rid of everybody and start fresh!

Hitcho
04-23-2010, 08:46 AM
To answer the question, I don't think he'll ever voluntarily walk the plank. Never in a million years. So he's going to have to be pushed.

And that begs a new question - will MLSE push him and if so why and when? From MLSE's point of view, everything is going swimmingly. The franchise is making money, season tickets are sold out and the waiting list remains healthy enough to give them comfort. Mo made them $5 million by drafting and selling Edu and that money has more or less paid for the grass to go down, along with the Madrid money they made and the profits from how the franchise is being run. And to cap it off the team now has a couple of glamour Canadian signings in the form of De Ro and de Guz to keep the profile high and the shirt sales rolling. So why would MLSE want o push him out? All they'd get for it is a pay off to swallow and a new deal to bargain with a new GM.

I can only think of two reasons why MLSE would push Mo out - consistently poor results and the fans reaching breaking point. However, neither of those alone will be enough to trump the money based reasons set out above, so it would take one of these two reasons to become so bad that profits were hit hard enough to make them re-consider their position.

So, to conclude, we're stuck with Mo until he makes us so fucking shite that people stop buying season tickets and no-one wants to buy shirts anymore.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to dash my head into the door frame until I pass out from loss of blood.

reggie
04-23-2010, 09:08 AM
the coward was not on his monthly show this week,he stuck jimmy b in his place.

nascarguy
04-23-2010, 09:43 AM
we should change this topic name to "" when do you see parkdale & mo walking the plank?"" ......lol he really needs to go
how dare parkdale close the Don Valley Parkway. Hey AL-MO I hear the Don Valley Parkway is close this week it would be a great place to paint a big banner....!!lol

I think I need to go to the store to get paint to make a banner....lol

Oldtimer
04-23-2010, 09:46 AM
I can only think of two reasons why MLSE would push Mo out - consistently poor results and the fans reaching breaking point. However, neither of those alone will be enough to trump the money based reasons set out above, so it would take one of these two reasons to become so bad that profits were hit hard enough to make them re-consider their position.

That's where pressure from the supporters i.e. "MO MUST GO" can make a difference. MLSE will find it hard to ignore us if we're calling for his head.

nascarguy
04-23-2010, 09:54 AM
maybe mo should be a scout for tfc

Beach_Red
04-23-2010, 09:57 AM
Well, you can't expect a guy with a family to support to quit a job if his boss isn't making him. Remember last year when the contract was extended, Anselmi talked about all the jobs they thought he was doing and said that the team on the field was only a part of what they were looking at. Of course, it's all we see and it's all we care about.

Maybe he'll go work for First Wave as an agent...

Hitcho
04-23-2010, 09:58 AM
That's where pressure from the supporters i.e. "MO MUST GO" can make a difference. MLSE will find it hard to ignore us if we're calling for his head.

Agreed, and this is why I was advocating before that we should have a continuous pressure mounting campaign to get the message across, but you (at least I think it was you! :D) were suggesting it's better to just bottle it up and then vent the supporter frustration when things have gone really pear shaped. Same end, slightly different means. For me the horse has already bolted but there's no need to wait until the door is blown off its hinges before we try and bolt it shut.

Parkdale
04-23-2010, 09:58 AM
we should change this topic name to "" when do you see parkdale & mo walking the plank?"" ......lol he really needs to go
how dare parkdale close the Don Valley Parkway. Hey AL-MO I hear the Don Valley Parkway is close this week it would be a great place to paint a big banner....!!lol

http://library.thinkquest.org/3890/EMPEROR3.JPG

Good, I can feel your anger. Strike me down with all of your hatred and your journey towards the dark side will be complete!

Hitcho
04-23-2010, 10:02 AM
Haha - nice try Parky, but I'd say you were more of storm trooper than Emperor Palpatine. Although if you can do the lightning bolt thing then feel free to let it rip the next time Landycakes is in front of 112 (or your prawnies if you can reach from up there!).

Note to Paul B - now that's something that I think most supporters would happily pay an increase for in their SSH packages. Just sayin'...

nascarguy
04-23-2010, 11:52 AM
ok back to the real topic....... when will we be making parkdale must buy us beer banner and what gate do I have bring it to...

zamperina
04-23-2010, 09:32 PM

Agreed, no way he lasts if they only have a couple wins after 10 games!

habstfc
04-24-2010, 11:10 AM
I agree... I think 10-12 games in to the season if they aren't within a couple points of a playoff position I think he'll be gone.