PDA

View Full Version : As is... Does TFC have "Potential"

mastermixer
04-21-2010, 08:04 AM
Ok so it looks like we finally have a full squad and we have a few games under our belt so I'll ask: Do you think TFC has the right players to be any good this year. Outside of DeRo and JDG (although you could argue this as well) do the supporting cast have what it takes to put anything together this season?

maninb
04-21-2010, 08:09 AM
Without a capable striker they are doomed.....and we can't depend on DeRo to do everything...

gtaguy
04-21-2010, 08:10 AM
I said maybe but deep down i think this is a failure.

Snowy
04-21-2010, 08:12 AM
I said maybe. I see some promise in the defensive shape of the team, but unless they can find goals from more than one source, and get rid of the silly mistakes, then it will be a long season.

J .
04-21-2010, 08:13 AM
Lots of young talent and DeRo.... Definately.

Daveisonfire
04-21-2010, 08:24 AM
If they can play like the 15 mins in Colorado that resulted in the foul on Cronin and DeRo's penalty then we could be a serious contender.

Consistency is the key.

flatpicker
04-21-2010, 08:26 AM
Without a capable striker they are doomed.....and we can't depend on DeRo to do everything...

^ What he said.

Unless Barrett suddenly fixes his problems with aim.

Suds
04-21-2010, 08:31 AM
We are still in desperate need of a striker (or at least the one's we have to start producing). Defensive strength is imperative but if you can't score you can't win.

I've seen glimpses of decent play from TFC. So, can they turn 15 minutes of good play into 90?? So far I'm not convinced. I see way too many individual errors right now.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-21-2010, 08:33 AM
OUR BACK LINE is a mess.....until we get it right.....we are doomed!....

MARSHALL...SERIOUX... would look good right about now....

2 fooooking beasts we let go!

S_D
04-21-2010, 09:14 AM
I don't think we will do much this season, however we have a full roster! So now any cash that they have left over they can use it to upgrade a player or two as the season goes on.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-21-2010, 09:45 AM
4 games in with a new coach.
I am worried about the lack of creativity and lack of a regular goal scorer (as well as a hesitancy in Preki's history to chase one). That being said Im ready to give Preki a chance AND i still expect (or want) Mo to go.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-21-2010, 09:47 AM
MARSHALL...SERIOUX... would look good right about now....

2 fooooking beasts we let go!

Marshall looked slow and only looks good cuz he has someone young to cover his pace, Serioux was prone to injury, cost 100k + AND was played out of position. Ive seen more promise in our current CBs then i ever have from those two. We do however need our fullbacks to step up

David_Oliveira
04-21-2010, 09:56 AM
I honestly think that we do have potential. We play decently for maybe 20-30 minutes of a game. We do need alot of work but i think with time, we could see a solid game here or there

DichioTFC
04-21-2010, 10:04 AM
i voted yes.

luke wileman said it last year and he said it again this year, only 10-11 wins are necessary to make the playoffs (40 point threshold with draws). yeah it sucks dropping points this early in the season but i really do see TFC pouring it on at the end of the season.

frei in net. better backline. solid mid. DeRo getting goals. Barrett with killer through balls. OBW with speed up front.

i'm not doubting anyone that says we have issues (fullbacks, wingers, teamwork, consistency) but its coming along. anyone who thought this would have been fixed overnight (like the frontrunners that magically reappear after every loss) is an idiot. patience is needed.

it might be until mid may until we see the team at its full potential, but thats what it is, a team with potential.

they will get butter. we deserve butter.

Hooligan69
04-21-2010, 10:16 AM
Does TFC have potential this year?

Simple answer: No.

Whoop
04-21-2010, 10:20 AM
No I don't see potential for this team beyond this season.

But this is the MLS and for this season, this team could still squeak, just barely, into the playoffs.

Beach_Red
04-21-2010, 10:22 AM
No, there's no potential. This team is being built for MLS 2007.

TFCRegina
04-21-2010, 10:25 AM
This team has potential to get better, because they can't get any worse.

DichioTFC
04-21-2010, 10:34 AM
This team has potential to get better, because they can't get any worse.

:scarf: thats the spirit
:D

NORMAN KRATES
04-21-2010, 10:34 AM
Potential is a difficult thing to measure.

TFCRegina
04-21-2010, 10:38 AM
:scarf: thats the spirit
:D

Lower expectations far enough and you'll never be disappointed!

[NBF]
04-21-2010, 10:47 AM
Every single team in MLS thats a contender, has 5 key players;

1. 1 solid GK : Check

2. At least 1 quality defender making a minimum of $300K. If your guys are willing to accept $100K, you know what you're getting. Fail

3. At least 1 good solid MF and we have 2: Check x 2

4. At least 1 good striker making a minum of $450K. Once again, if your guys are willing to accept 100K/per year, you know they're not quality. Fail

5. A second striker. San Jose, Columbus, NYRB, Galaxy, Dynamo, Revolution, Fire.

What do they have in common???

Success: Check.
Winning records: Check.

olegunnar
04-21-2010, 10:47 AM
Let see, last year we weren't good enough. We were 12th in a 15 team league...this year we made the following changes....

Usanov/Gargan for Wynne
HscocLatvia for Brennan
Saric for Robbo
Labrocca for Guevara
Cann for Serioux

Maybe the RB is a bit of an upgrade beyond that I'm not sure we've upgraded the team very much.....

Short answer...no I dont' think you can make an argument that we're better than last year and have the potential to win anything.

NORMAN KRATES
04-21-2010, 11:07 AM
I think you need strikers in order to win games.

ManUtd4ever
04-21-2010, 11:48 AM
I maintain that Preki will mold this squad into a cohesive, defensively sound squad over the course of the season. The backline is still suspect but has improved since the preseason and will get better over time. I suspect we will see more from the likes of Barrett, White, and Peterson up front but a reliable striker definitely needs to be added to the roster to provide support to DeRo. I have a feeling TFC will frustrate supporters more often than not for the next several games but it won't be due to lack of effort. Preki will eventually find the right formula within the roster and TFC will have a strong enough second half to squeak into the playoffs. At that point, in the MLS, anything can happen...

ensco
04-21-2010, 12:16 PM
I maintain that Preki will mold this squad into a cohesive, defensively sound squad over the course of the season. The backline is still suspect but has improved since the preseason and will get better over time. I suspect we will see more from the likes of Barrett, White, and Peterson up front but a reliable striker definitely needs to be added to the roster to provide support to DeRo. I have a feeling TFC will frustrate supporters more often than not for the next several games but it won't be due to lack of effort. Preki will eventually find the right formula within the roster and TFC will have a strong enough second half to squeak into the playoffs. At that point, in the MLS, anything can happen...

I just have no idea where the data is to support any of this.

Our backline has not improved since preseason

What playoff team in MLS history has ever been built by bringing in 3 of their 4 starting defenders after the season started?

What playoff team in MLS has ever added a striker midseason who made a meaningful difference in the season he was added?

ManUtd4ever
04-21-2010, 12:26 PM
I just have no idea where the data is to support any of this.

Our backline has not improved since preseason

What playoff team in MLS history has ever been built by bringing in 3 of their 4 starting defenders after the season started?

What playoff team in MLS has ever added a striker midseason who made a meaningful difference in the season he was added?

I assume that you have written the season off already and that is your perogative.

The "data" is my observation thus far and Preki's track record. This poll is based on opinion, not hard evidence.

As for MLS teams in the past that have had a late season surge to qualify for the playoffs despite a slow start? In the last few years alone look at Columbus, Real Salt Lake, DC United, NY Red Bulls...

ensco
04-21-2010, 12:36 PM
This poll is based on opinion, not hard evidence.

As for MLS teams in the past that have had a late season surge to qualify for the playoffs despite a slow start? In the last few years alone look at Columbus, Real Salt Lake, DC United, NY Red Bulls...

Fair enough.

I think those teams all surged because they gelled, not because of big midseason additions. My opinion.

Pachuco
04-21-2010, 01:05 PM
I see potential in these players:

Frei
JDG
Dero
Barrett
Cann
Nana
Labrocca
White
Cronin
Sanyang
Maybe Peterson but I'm not sold

Anyone else can fall off planet earth for all I care.

I also see though that some of these guys with potential are still fairly young and really should be coming off the bench as depth. These guys will not end up living to their potential, especially with terrible players like Saric and Garcia on the field.

Take away some of our best players to injuries and international duties and we are hosed. Don't be fooled, this WILL happen as it has every other season.

The beautiful thing about the MLS is the coach can really make a difference here, and we can get wins with crappy players on the field. But since I don't see that much potential in our coach, then I'll go with....

No freeking way this team makes the playoffs as it stands today!

prizby
04-21-2010, 01:21 PM
yeah another poll and another debate about the team

James Oliphant
04-21-2010, 01:27 PM
;990011']Every single team in MLS thats a contender, has 5 key players;

1. 1 solid GK : Check

2. At least 1 quality defender making a minimum of $300K. If your guys are willing to accept $100K, you know what you're getting. Fail

3. At least 1 good solid MF and we have 2: Check x 2

4. At least 1 good striker making a minum of $450K. Once again, if your guys are willing to accept 100K/per year, you know they're not quality. Fail

5. A second striker. San Jose, Columbus, NYRB, Galaxy, Dynamo, Revolution, Fire.

What do they have in common???

Success: Check.
Winning records: Check.

Since when, in this league, does salary dictate quality?

Edson Buddle has 7 goals in 4 games....and makes under $180k. Conor Casey, 3 goals in 4 games and 16 last year, $200k on the nose. Javier Morales, 3 goals in 3 games, $150k. Fredy Montero, 12 goals last year, $155k. Sebastien Le Toux, 3 goals in 3 games, $100k...

All these guys are making less than half (and in the case of Le Toux, less than 25%) of what you're suggesting the pricetag for a "quality" striker.

footballcanada
04-21-2010, 04:29 PM
Toronto great off field...Pathetic on field.

I protest. No more going to games. No more buying merchandises. No more GOL TV.

Stryker
04-21-2010, 04:41 PM
We have the potential to finish dead last for what it's worth.

levyashin
04-21-2010, 06:51 PM
:canada:2 players will make the difference,Creative midfielder,goal scorer unfortunately MO has not got a clue what these words mean so we have to defend alot better with what we have if we get a 1-0 result.

Pachuco
04-21-2010, 09:20 PM
:canada:2 players will make the difference,Creative midfielder,goal scorer unfortunately MO has not got a clue what these words mean so we have to defend alot better with what we have if we get a 1-0 result.

And a left back, a right back, another central defender (atleast one for depth) some wingers would be helpful too ;)

Cashcleaner
04-21-2010, 09:22 PM
With all due respect, the team isn't just DeRo and (occasionally) JDG. You also have to consider Attakora, Frei, Ibrahim, and many others. Absolutely I think we have good potential in the roster as-is, however, it's going to take a great coach to build a competitive team.

Brooker
04-22-2010, 02:36 AM
well... dunno if they have potential but they can only get better. lol.

KiwiRedsFan
04-22-2010, 06:11 PM
I agree with you Brooker. There are still plenty of games in the season. Lets give the guys a chance.

I hope none of the players lurk on here. They may get a shock.

ag futbol
04-22-2010, 10:24 PM
The answer to this pole in my opinion is no. The line de jour from management is that we've got a younger team now. That's great, unfortunately despite a lot of these being young very few have the potential to be special. Most are just going to be career MLS grinders at best.

There are lots of young players with potential in MLS. The good ones show you a flash of brilliance every once in the while. We rarely see that from guys on our team who are prematurely being labeled the future. I don't just say that because of what they did here, but also what they did with their previous teams.

I see things getting much worse before they get better.

ua-kozak_TFC
04-24-2010, 09:53 PM
talking about potential.. been watching philly lately. And they are playing some pretty good soccer. And although they haven;t been very fortunate with the results...(a lot of goltending and defensive f-ups). They show some very promissing futbol. The goal against us I gotta admit was pretty nice... they know how to move the ball.. and if you give them a few more games i think they'll be a very difficult team to beat for any team in our league...I don;t see them showing the "expansion excuse"...

LesH
04-24-2010, 10:19 PM
I voted "not a chance"... no reason to explain why, we all know those...
Maybe next year, when at least 2 more real value players are added to the squad?

Nwambe
04-25-2010, 02:42 PM
Look, I'll be straight up - I've not been the most fervent TFC follower, though I do bleed red and white. I don't think that TFC will be playoff contenders this year. Not having gotten rid of Barrett (Or, as I'm fond of calling him, "Short Bus"), or Nick "The Fearsome Pylon" Garcia, in addition to the other, sizeable holes in the lineup, it seems that we'll be spinning our wheels for a while.

Mind you, it's not these players themselves who are the problem - They are the symptoms of a greater problem. Remember, you can't spell problem without "Mo"

KezmanCCCC
04-25-2010, 11:01 PM
i think after what i saw in todays match we played the best starting 11 that we have... i think with the continued hard work by the players we have potential to get into this playoffs this season... but we still need a few additions to the squad.... and only time will tell...

nascarguy
04-25-2010, 11:06 PM
Toronto great off field...Pathetic on field.

I protest. No more going to games. No more buying merchandises. No more GOL TV.
I do not buy anything at bmo field from year 1 & I cancel goltv last year. This year I'm not wearing any tfc merch to any mls games.
The only time I will wear tfc merch is for the montreal and van games.

sweetlemon69
04-27-2010, 07:14 AM
WOW. I was shocked to see only 31% Yes. Does nobody see the play that's happening from the back line to the middle third, and the creative sparks starting uptop? It's a completely different system then what's been deployed thus far. Shame on you "No/Maybe" people...