PDA

View Full Version : Going out on a limb: COULD PAUL BEIRNE RUN THE WHOLE SHOW?

jimmyjazz
04-20-2010, 11:38 AM
My experience with him is top notch - he seems to "get it" from every possible angle as a soccer fan, and on top of it he seems to be able to make things happen, from the small things that mean a lot to us as supporters, to the big stuff that is crucial to continuing success as a business enterprise (yes, there have been some gaffes too, but they are minor in comparason to the successes)

Could he run the whole show, on field as well as off?

I think so, but I also freely admit, I dont know what is involved in running the soccer side of the Club.

Comments?

Jim

J .
04-20-2010, 11:39 AM
no...

Whoop
04-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Not a chance.

grizzle
04-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Paul posted this on twitter...

"when I came into this league I didn't know soccer. Now it is in my bone marrow". -Garber. Applies to me as well!

Do you really want someone that had no prior soccer experience before TFC in charge of running the club? Is this thread a joke?

Chevy
04-20-2010, 11:47 AM
Nope.

drewski
04-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Paul posted this on twitter...

Do you really want someone that had no prior soccer experience before TFC in charge of running the club? Is this thread a joke?

i was just about to look for that.

sure he'd be the first to laugh at the idea too

Gobi
04-20-2010, 11:54 AM
I'm not sure he has the experience for scouting talent or building tactics.
But then... I guess he'd still be an improvement. :rolleyes:

Paul can stick to running the business of the team.

Dichio and Dasovic should run everything else.
:scarf:

VoxPopuliCosmicum
04-20-2010, 11:57 AM
Even if he's not the right guy to rebuild the club, he couldn't possibly do worse than Mo. Why not fire Mo immediately and make Paul B "Interim Director of Soccer" with a clear understanding that he will return to his previous role after a proper GM has been found?

Roogsy
04-20-2010, 11:58 AM
LOL! I dont think Paul would want the job.

TFCREDNWHITE
04-20-2010, 11:59 AM
no. close thread

stugautz
04-20-2010, 12:02 PM
It can work if he hires a proper director of player personnel to handle player issues, and a coach to handle the coaching. But in reality, not a good idea.

Parkdale
04-20-2010, 12:02 PM
no. close thread

I love it when non-members tell us how to run our boards :D

Paul isn't the sports guy - he's the operations and management guy.
The on field product has to be run by someone who knows the game.
If it's not on the grass, it's Paul's problem, but if it's inside that big
green square, it should be on someone else's shoulders.

Damien
04-20-2010, 12:08 PM
I say let him...

He can get tips on how to run the team and where to sign players on the supporter club message boards or on BigSoccer.com :stogey: :lol:

drewski
04-20-2010, 12:09 PM
Even if he's not the right guy to rebuild the club, he couldn't possibly do worse than Mo. Why not fire Mo immediately and make Paul B "Interim Director of Soccer" with a clear understanding that he will return to his previous role after a proper GM has been found?

same for my dead cat but i don't think he should be replace mo either

Redpunkfiddle
04-20-2010, 12:16 PM
I'll get a head start-

FIRE THEORETICAL MANAGER BEIRNE NOW!

flatpicker
04-20-2010, 12:16 PM
Paul does his job well.
It's a rare thing in MLSE to have someone doing their job well!
Let him keep focusing on that, and find someone else that can do Mo's job well.

AL-MO
04-20-2010, 12:19 PM
Is this thread a joke?

Co-signed.

Parkdale
04-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Co-signed.

you co-signed a question? shouldn't you 'co-sign' a statement?

flatpicker
04-20-2010, 12:39 PM
you co-signed a question? shouldn't you 'co-sign' a statement?

co-signed.

oh... wait...

McBrace
04-20-2010, 12:42 PM
This Thread is a Joke!

Ok everyone Co-sign..

H Bomb
04-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Seems like a nice guy and all but of course not. But this thread has given out a name or two i'd support... Drewski's dead cat for GM!!!

H Bomb
04-20-2010, 12:46 PM
This Thread is a Joke!

Ok everyone Co-sign..

...co signed.

Damien
04-20-2010, 12:48 PM
im gonna go with...
http://www.thephantomcity.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/20070629simpsonscarbonrod.jpg

Batman
04-20-2010, 12:56 PM
If Paul was to assume full responsibility and his first move would be to find the new head of soccer, I don't see what the problem would be.

Whether the head of soccer reported to Paul, or to Anselmi, I don't expect it would make a great deal of difference.

On the other hand, I don't know what it would achieve. The soccer side of the club is the area in a shambles, whereas the business side seems to be running quite smoothly, with the possible exception of PR.

I guess it would recognize his contribution but clearly he'd need someone else to take charge of the soccer side of the biz.

Auzzy
04-20-2010, 01:58 PM
I wonder why mlsintoronto never posts anything in any of the really interesting threads...? ;)

Redcoe15
04-20-2010, 03:02 PM
Uhhhhh... No.

billyfly
04-20-2010, 03:04 PM
We might find out sooner than we think.

Beach_Red
04-20-2010, 03:10 PM
If Paul was to assume full responsibility and his first move would be to find the new head of soccer, I don't see what the problem would be.

I still find it hilarious they had to hire a search committee to find a GM for their hockey team.

They'll have to hire a search committee to find the search committee to find a GM for soccer.

ensco
04-20-2010, 04:33 PM
The overall snide tone of this thread is nuts. Paul B clearly has the "girl next door" problem in these parts. It's a caponomics world, he'd be well suited to it.

On an interim basis, he'd be absolutely fine. Maybe even on a fulltime basis, if he had the right help.

Guys like Paul are becoming GMs in every sport.

(Not looking to kiss his ass. I've only met him once. Still very unhappy with the Wall of Honour thing for Jim "Rob Ramage" Brennan.)

ExiledRed
04-20-2010, 04:51 PM
Paul's awesome and he couldnt do any worse for the team, than has been done these last few years.

I say fire the current setup and give him the rest of the season.

TorCanSoc
04-20-2010, 04:56 PM
What are we talking about Anselmi's job? Or Mo's job? If its Mo's, he doesn't have the football pedigree behind him for any kind of Euro deals.

TFCRegina
04-20-2010, 05:01 PM
My experience with him is top notch - he seems to "get it" from every possible angle as a soccer fan, and on top of it he seems to be able to make things happen, from the small things that mean a lot to us as supporters, to the big stuff that is crucial to continuing success as a business enterprise (yes, there have been some gaffes too, but they are minor in comparason to the successes)

I think so, but I also freely admit, I dont know what is involved in running the soccer side of the Club.

Comments?

Jim

Too connected to us, listens to what we say too often. I don't want anyone in the RPB running TFC, or in any supporter group anywhere running TFC.

Let's get people with actual international coaching licenses who actually know what the hell they're doing.

I'd rather have some guy who doesn't speak a word of english and doesn't care for our supporter groups if it means we're producing on the pitch.

jloome
04-20-2010, 05:03 PM
He seems intelligent to me and only flies off the handle in cases he sees as unfair, which indicates a logical passion. To me, those two elements are infinitely more important to any kind of success than tactical experience or playing experience.

I'm quite sure he'd do fine, as he'd have a humility currently lacking in administration with respect to outside voices and expertise.

CretanBull
04-20-2010, 05:30 PM
The squirrel would do a better job than Mo. Paul is a business guy, and by all accounts that side of things is going well and is in good hands. Let him do what he does best - find someone equally competent to handle the other side of things.

Bombonera
04-20-2010, 06:32 PM
No. PLEASE no. No friggin way. No, No, No, No!!!!!

No more political nonsence. We want and deserve quality, not sound bytes. I can't even believe this option came up.

Sorry Paul, no offense, but seriously!

Shakes McQueen
04-20-2010, 07:17 PM
I'd be fine with it on an interim basis. Maybe even a permanent basis, depending on who he surrounded himself with.

- Scott

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-20-2010, 07:22 PM

Comments?

Jim
He has enough responsibilities as it is. One person can't run an entire club.

Jose Mourinho
04-20-2010, 07:25 PM
Paul does his job well.
It's a rare thing in MLSE to have someone doing their job well!
Let him keep focusing on that, and find someone else that can do Mo's job well.

I agree that Paul does his job well, however; I disagree with your opinion that it is a rarity within MLSE. As a company MLSE have been very successful in milking the monopolized cash cow. They have done their jobs very well.

It is now up to us to do our job well. Unlike Maple Leaf fans, our job is to start holding them accountable. They are well aware that the atmosphere and culture we provide is instrumental in selling their product to the casuals who come to BMO largely in part to watch the "animals in 110-113 & 127" (Bank of Montreal - This Is Our House commercial).

Without us, BMO is naked and silent. That will create a snowball effect because for every supporter who stops coming, there will probably be two or more casuals who stay away.

We have the bargaining chips, lets us them.

torontocelt
04-20-2010, 07:46 PM
Is this thread for real?

nfitz
04-20-2010, 07:48 PM
Could he run the whole show, on field as well as off?On field?

We all dream of a team of Paul B's, a team of Paul B's, a team of Paul B's

Number oneeeeeee is Paul B
and Number twooooo is Paul B
Number threeeee is Paul B
and Number fooooour is Paul B

Number fiiiiiive is Paul B
and Number siiiiix is Paul B
Number sevennn is Paul B
and Number eighhhht is Paul B

Number niiiine is Paul B
and Number teeeeen is Paul B
Number ELEVEN! is Paul B
and the subs are Paul B

Oldtimer
04-20-2010, 07:59 PM
Wow, you can tell the fans are getting really desperate when someone suggests that the business manager should be running the club!

http://www.pages.drexel.edu/%7Embp24/media/fav-red_swingline_stapler-big.jpg

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-20-2010, 08:01 PM
^ The idea of a stapler banner is really growing on me...

billyfly
04-20-2010, 08:27 PM
I agree that Paul does his job well, however; I disagree with your opinion that it is a rarity within MLSE. As a company MLSE have been very successful in milking the monopolized cash cow. They have done their jobs very well.

It is now up to us to do our job well. Unlike Maple Leaf fans, our job is to start holding them accountable. They are well aware that the atmosphere and culture we provide is instrumental in selling their product to the casuals who come to BMO largely in part to watch the "animals in 110-113 & 127" (Bank of Montreal - This Is Our House commercial).

Without us, BMO is naked and silent. That will create a snowball effect because for every supporter who stops coming, there will probably be two or more casuals who stay away.

We have the bargaining chips, lets us them.

If you are going to use "The Special One" as your board name at the very least talk like him!

I demand you to re-do this post the way "O Menino Bonito" as my Mom calls him would speak.

DOMIN8R
04-20-2010, 08:35 PM
If it were up to me - I would prefer PB replace Anselmi!

I know, I know - in due time, in due time.......

torontocelt
04-21-2010, 06:23 AM
Wow, you can tell the fans are getting really desperate when someone suggests that the business manager should be running the club!

http://www.pages.drexel.edu/%7Embp24/media/fav-red_swingline_stapler-big.jpg

Does this mean we can also consider the stapler for the role? If so I vote for the stapler to take over, sorry Paul.

Parkdale
04-21-2010, 08:29 AM
If it were up to me - I would prefer PB replace Anselmi!

I know, I know - in due time, in due time.......

Paul --replaces--> Tom
Jim --replaces--> Mo
Danny --replaces--> Preki

then when things go wrong, we've all have a crisis of faith for getting exactly what we wanted.

Auzzy
04-21-2010, 08:49 AM
Reading Parkdale's post, I'm reminded that there's a different MLSE employee who could probably do a better job than all of these guys, no?

Gixmo
04-21-2010, 09:14 AM
No Thanks

Paul's a great guy, stand up and trusting.. But his role is in the business of football with numbers, Not the on field product. I don't doubt that he probably could do it. That means less time with his VW though, and more times with his psychiatrist

That being said, if MLSE wants an easy out - Toss Mo onto the Gardiner and give PB the reins for the rest of the year. What's the worst that could happen.

Stapler 2 Stick eh... Ideas!!

James17930
04-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Paul --replaces--> Tom
Jim --replaces--> Mo

then when things go wrong, we've all have a crisis of faith for getting exactly what we wanted.

Like with Gerba. :rolleyes:

ensco
04-21-2010, 12:32 PM
Paul --replaces--> Tom
Jim --replaces--> Mo

Sorry man, but I definitely think it would be a bad thing if DD became the coach, and I personally would go completely nuts if Brennan became the GM.

DD needs time, but has shown that he may have it in him.

Brennan has shown nothing.
- He appears (I say appears, it isn't certain) to be Mo's protege. Not good if so.
- He was a silent captain whose teams repeatedly choked in big games. He is wound very tight, not a good trait in a GM.
- He became a spokesman for Fieldturf, which is bad given that he was captain when he did it. He is not focused enough on doing what is right.

KezmanCCCC
04-21-2010, 12:38 PM
i dont know much about the guy... i just saw him once at my work ordering some deli meat... he was wearing an MLS jacket... lol...