PDA

View Full Version : Mystery player 35 solved?

dantdot
06-19-2008, 03:54 PM
http://thestar.blogs.com/torontofc/2008/06/tfc-adds-speed.html and it's not what you think.

Record-setting Welsh midfielder Gary Speed (http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=7512) worked out with TFC today, wearing jersey number 35.

So, no, this is not an Abdus Ibrahim/Olivier Tebily type situation, where a a guy shows up "unofficially," practices with TFC for a while, then eventually becomes part of the team. This is a few days of Speed's life designed to bring him a few steps closer to becoming a certified coach. He's still under contract to Sheffield United and I'm guessing he makes a bit more money there than he would in MLS.

TorontoBlades
06-19-2008, 03:58 PM
I'd like to hear that presentation and what he thinks. He's a Blade and a great footballing mind.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-19-2008, 04:11 PM
Is he a DM?
Edus replacement if thats the case...

NateDoGG
06-19-2008, 04:25 PM
wow i would love to see him playing with tfc!

bimmer
06-19-2008, 04:34 PM
The article stated that he is NOT going to become part of the team... he's just here to study the team, then going back to Wales to become a coach.

NateDoGG
06-19-2008, 04:37 PM
ya, i dunno why he just doesnt do it in england
but it would be cool for the youngins

Ossington Mental Youth
06-19-2008, 04:41 PM
The article stated that he is NOT going to become part of the team... he's just here to study the team, then going back to Wales to become a coach.

Yep, i jumped the gun. Sorry.

dantdot
06-19-2008, 05:13 PM
Story on TFC site http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080619&content_id=167065&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

ExiledRed
06-19-2008, 08:11 PM
So definitely not asian.

:)

devioustrevor
06-19-2008, 09:58 PM

I recall reading somewhere that to get a UEFA coaching license a player had to study under a coach in another country for a short while.

--Edit--

And what do you you know, it says that right there in the article. I really should read them first for now on.

Raging Reggie
06-19-2008, 10:03 PM
So definitely not asian.

LOL, yea! definantly not asian! Doesnt Flush owe some people some beers or something for that comment :)

Very cool that Gary Speed was in town though, quite impressed

Lucky Strike
06-19-2008, 11:43 PM
So definitely not asian.

Yup. Someone around here owes me 10$.

Well... not you specifically...

Dirk Diggler
06-20-2008, 01:15 AM
Hmmm....interesting that he chose Toronto. I wonder what led him to do that. Aside from Carl Robinson, does he have a JC connection by any chance.

Keyman
06-20-2008, 01:19 AM
They were both at Newcastle at the same time if I'm not mistaken.

professor
06-20-2008, 08:05 AM
Carver holds the UEFA Pro designation, and is a UEFA coaches assessor/instructor for the FA so he is a potential mentor for many UEFA Pro and "A" license candidates such as Speed. Given that the MLS season is Europe's off-season, look for more guest coaches at TFC sessions - especially coach's from the UK

I'm not sure of this, but I'm pretty sure Carver is the only UEFA Pro licensed coach in Canada - to bad the CSA doesn't see any value in this.
I think he and Gullit are the only two in the MLS, but John Murphy, an assistant with Colorado is currently in the "Pro" program. Murphy is an American.

TFC Assistant Cummins is also a UEFA Pro holder and don't think that Dasovic, Bent and Neely aren't sniffing around looking to enhance their coaching portfolio's either

I think Mo is a UEFA B only as a result of his international background as a player representing his country - sort of a fast track/exemption for a select few.

CSA bestows their version of a B license to any player who represents Canada, however, no other FIFA member will recognize the Cdn B on par and UEFA is no exception

GetGame
06-20-2008, 08:33 AM
I think you're right. Steve Payne of Bryst Academy in Toronto is halfway through his UEFA Pro license. He currently has his UEFA 'A' (along with 3 other coaches in the SAAC academy group).

From what I've heard, other FIFA members have little use for our 'A' license as well (coaches heading to Europe are told to at least get a USSF 'A' before applying for UEFA courses). This is why I found the TFC Academy release that stated Dasovic's Cdn 'A' is Equivalent to a UEFA 'B' as a bit misleading...

H Bomb
06-20-2008, 09:19 AM
That's great IMO. A classy player and guy whos appearance can only help our players. John Carver deserves the key to the city

Detroit_TFC
06-20-2008, 11:21 AM
That's great IMO. A classy player and guy whos appearance can only help our players. John Carver deserves the key to the city

QFT++

Carver has brought way more than just sideline leadership, he brings his whole portfolio of player connections which really enhances our rep.