PDA

View Full Version : New Theory About The Refs

James17930
04-19-2010, 10:13 PM
I had a thought -- you guys can debate it.

Maybe one reason we think the refs are so bad sometimes is that the players are so bad (compared to Europe) that they constantly do things which put the refs in horrible positions.

For example, in one of the threads someone said "I can't believe the ref gave 3 penalties in one game." The implication was the ref was unprofessional.

But the ref can't be thinking about "well, I already gave two, so I can't give another one." He has to call what actually happens, and if you look at each play:

1st -- Even if the ball didn't actually hit Cann's arm, Cann went to ground in the box with his arm outstretched, and the ball came to rest against his body. From the ref's angle on the field, I think it would definitely have looked like it hit his arm (so my point even if it didn't, I understand how the ref made that mistake). I've never seen defenders dive around in the box as much as in MLS. It gives the refs tough decisions to make.

2nd -- The GK absolutely clobbers Cronin. No debate there at all.

3rd -- Usanov clobbers Casey. What can you do?

So -- yeah.

Now, of course are still some bad calls made, but maybe it's not so much 'the refs are bad,' but 'the players do such stupid things the refs have no choice but to make controversial calls."

Discuss.

Suds
04-19-2010, 10:29 PM
The refs in the MLS leave a lot to be desired.

But I can see with your point about clumsy players and players trying to make up for a bad decision being their own worst enemies. Clumsy tackles puts a player in the position to get a card.

That being said, my issue with MLS refs has more to do with their inconsistency than any one particular call in a game.

Blizzard
04-19-2010, 10:58 PM
I had a thought -- you guys can debate it.

Maybe one reason we think the refs are so bad sometimes is that the players are so bad (compared to Europe) that they constantly do things which put the refs in horrible positions.

For example, in one of the threads someone said "I can't believe the ref gave 3 penalties in one game." The implication was the ref was unprofessional.

But the ref can't be thinking about "well, I already gave two, so I can't give another one." He has to call what actually happens, and if you look at each play:

1st -- Even if the ball didn't actually hit Cann's arm, Cann went to ground in the box with his arm outstretched, and the ball came to rest against his body. From the ref's angle on the field, I think it would definitely have looked like it hit his arm (so my point even if it didn't, I understand how the ref made that mistake). I've never seen defenders dive around in the box as much as in MLS. It gives the refs tough decisions to make.

2nd -- The GK absolutely clobbers Cronin. No debate there at all.

3rd -- Usanov clobbers Casey. What can you do?

So -- yeah.

Now, of course are still some bad calls made, but maybe it's not so much 'the refs are bad,' but 'the players do such stupid things the refs have no choice but to make controversial calls."

Discuss.

1st -- Referee was out of position approximately 30 yards behind the play. If he'd been in position, he would not have made the erroneous call. From where he stood, ok, I'll buy that it looked like a handball but that doesn't excuse his poor positioning.

3rd -- Usanov breathed on Casey! Totally crap call. I doubt the ref even saw it. Casey was going down more often than Linda Lovelace during that match.

Mark in Ottawa
04-20-2010, 06:49 AM
Less talented players = less talented league in general = less talented management/officials both on and off the field.

As a former "on field" sports official it is obvious that with the shortage of officials in all sports the management "peter principle" (I know... cue up jokes here...) is fully in effect. The officials quickly get promoted to more challenging leagues and rise to their "level of incompetence".

It is what it is. We can only hope that over time the league improves and by extension the management both on and off field will follow suit.

Pachuco
04-20-2010, 10:29 AM
James I couldn't agree with you more. Alot of people seem to think that officiating is an exact science and can't understand why the refs in the MLS make so many mistakes. Well, I think you are bang on in thinking that these refs have alot of decisions to make because of the quality of the players on the field. There's a direct corralation between the number of penalties that have been called on us and the quality of players we've put on the field.

Don Julio
04-20-2010, 10:42 AM
I have another theory, and it applies to all leagues, but in our case is magnified in MLS:

The officiating sucks when the team you're cheering for loses.

drexel10
04-20-2010, 10:53 AM
I have watched about 15-20 games this year and I think the refs have improved. I think they have been instructed to try and let the game flow more and this seems to allow tugs and shoves that continue in the box and then get punished. Overall, it hasn't been that bad.

Pachuco
04-20-2010, 10:55 AM
I have another theory, and it applies to all leagues, but in our case is magnified in MLS:

HAHAHA, man you are so right.

Mark in Ottawa
04-20-2010, 10:59 AM

^^ +1 :smilielol5:

James17930
04-20-2010, 09:20 PM

^^+2

Shaughno
04-21-2010, 09:34 AM
While that's true... if you watch other MLS games, there are just as many brutal calls that happen there as well. I'd lean more to the clumsy/less talented theory personally.