PDA

View Full Version : Possible replacements for Mo Johnston

ballerz
04-19-2010, 09:14 PM
Everyone's been waiting, but who's out there as a replacement? Here is my wish list for the new Director of Soccer in order:

1. Bob Bradley (post WC) - Likely to bring along a wealth of knowledge and scouting of American players, which is key to long-term success in the MLS

2. Thomas Rongen - As with Bradley, his appointment as USA U20 head coach would be very valuable to any MLS club

3. Frank Yallop - Perhaps he has lost SJ like Mo has lost TFC? But he does have a better track record than Mo

4. Holger Osieck - Did the most for soccer in this country and he still has ties to Canada. Possibly the best football tactician of any possible replacement

5. Steve Sampson - Was somewhat successful as a US head coach and is unemployed

6. Denis Hamlett - Long time coach with the Fire (since inception I believe) so he did cut his teeth with one of the premier franchises of the league before getting hired and fired as top boss last year

7. Bob Gansler - Does anyone know why he he left after year 1? He does have a lot of credibility and experience in the league

the-lower-eastsider
04-19-2010, 09:17 PM
1. mr lahey

king dave
04-19-2010, 09:24 PM
What about DD?
He loves it here, he is respected, knows the game and it would make sense just to give him Mojos office as the ginger kid heads to St. Louis to fuck that team in the ass.
KD.

king dave
04-19-2010, 09:25 PM
1. mr lahey
Great!
Now every random drunk will be here in minutes:rolleyes:.
KD.

FluSH
04-19-2010, 09:27 PM
What about DD?
He loves it here, he is respected, knows the game and it would make sense just to give him Mojos office as the ginger kid heads to St. Louis to fuck that team in the ass.
KD.

Are you saying Danny Dichio? I would love this to happen... but it won't not for some time... with Jim Brennan as "assitant" that's too many former players running the show straight after their retirement.

king dave
04-19-2010, 09:28 PM
Danny as director would be perfect!
Doubt he would put up with MLSE bullshit though.
But we can dream, can't we?
KD.

Pachuco
04-19-2010, 09:28 PM
What about DD?
KD.

But there's no proof he'd be good at being a GM. I would hate for him to get thrown into the fire with no experience. He'll get eaten alive by the fans fairly quickly. I wouldn't risk that relationship if I was DD.

ballerz
04-19-2010, 09:30 PM
Don't laugh but I think a good choice for the top job is Bob Lenarduzzi. His record with the Whitecaps is actually quite phenomenal and if we people can erase the memories of the 1990s CNMT, you have to admit he is a good candidate.

Next year, it is entirely possible that Whitecaps would be more MLS ready than us...

Smokecell
04-19-2010, 09:31 PM
Brian Burke or Colangelo

but in all seriousness I would prefer someone with ties to some successful clubs in europe in which we could snatch players down the line

king dave
04-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Look!
This big, beautiful bastard came here and genuinely won the hearts of every supporter. That's a tough thing to do and speaks volumes of the kind of man Danny is.
Could you imagine where TFC could go with Danny D calling the shots if given the freedom to do what he wants by the fucking teacher pension twats?
Man O man, it would be great!
KD.

Jose Mourinho
04-19-2010, 09:35 PM
Dichio is not qualified to run this club. End of story.

ballerz
04-19-2010, 09:35 PM
Look!
This big, beautiful bastard came here and genuinely won the hearts of every supporter. That's a tough thing to do and speaks volumes of the kind of man Danny is.
Could you imagine where TFC could go with Danny D calling the shots if given the freedom to do what he wants by the fucking teacher pension twats?
KD.

I think he is still the honorary Director of Soccer for Thornhill Soccer Club. Let him get some experience first :D

king dave
04-19-2010, 09:36 PM
But there's no proof he'd be good at being a GM. I would hate for him to get thrown into the fire with no experience. He'll get eaten alive by the fans fairly quickly. I wouldn't risk that relationship if I was DD.
Yeah he does have the perfect relationship now, why jeopardize it?
It really comes down to who wants to step up to a thankless job for the most part. But that is where great leaders are usually culled from.
KD.

ballerz
Brian Burke or Colangelo

but in all seriousness I would prefer someone with ties to some successful clubs in europe in which we could snatch players down the line

Like Ruud Gullit?

TFC07
Don't laugh but I think a good choice for the top job is Bob Lenarduzzi. His record with the Whitecaps is actually quite phenomenal and if we people can erase the memories of the 1990s CNMT, you have to admit he is a good candidate.

Next year, it is entirely possible that Whitecaps would be more MLS ready than us...

No way he will leave Vancouver to join Toronto. I think Frank Yallop is the right choice. He's Canadian and has some history with some of our Canadian players (or at least has experience with DeRo).

king dave
I think he is still the honorary Director of Soccer for Thornhill Soccer Club. Let him get some experience first :D
I bet Thornhill Soccer club could beat TFC!
KD.

king dave
04-19-2010, 09:50 PM
This may be a biased suggestion, but GOD is retiring this season.
He is reportedly coming to Scallys sometime this summer.
Now that would be sweeeet!!
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4068/4536929824_d1b252a1d6.jpg

KD.

Bombonera
04-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Brian Burke or Colangelo

as long as you are at it, might as well mention JOHN FERGUSON who is equally unqualified to manage in the mls as he was/is in the NHL.

Actually, the fact that he survived as long as he did while simultaniously selling the farm for has been's, is a painful thought v. this discussion.

Frankly, if MO goes, then my guess is we get Preki for at least another season... I think MLSE is totally and completely lost when it comes to the MLS. Moreover, sometimes it really seems like MO has them by the balls. A lot of what goes on is illogical, absurd, etc.

Damien
04-19-2010, 09:53 PM
A Brennan/Dichio tandem could work for the remainder of the season if we fired Mo now... and a replacement search could happen in the meantime.

Whoop
04-19-2010, 09:53 PM
None of the suggestions in this thread fill me with a lot of hope.

king dave
04-19-2010, 09:55 PM
Moe has told individual supporters, face to face, when asked why doesn't he just leave, that he isn't going anywhere.
Cockey fuck, I'll give him that and the corn out of my stool!
KD.

rocker
04-19-2010, 09:55 PM
Danny as director would be perfect!
Doubt he would put up with MLSE bullshit though.
KD.

put up?? he's putting up with it now. His paycheque comes right out of the MLSE bank account.

nascarguy
04-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Great!
Now every random drunk will be here in minutes:rolleyes:.
KD.
you called my vote is for KD and nc can be his co-gm ...lol now back to my beer.

nascarguy
04-19-2010, 10:00 PM
I bet Thornhill Soccer club could beat TFC!
KD.
I bet the battery could beat them....... oh wait they did....oops!

king dave
04-19-2010, 10:01 PM
Hey this guy worked out well . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Nicol
KD.

Whoop
04-19-2010, 10:05 PM
Steve Nicol is currently employed by New England and was not listed in the options above.

Like I mentioned in another thread... everyone always says Steve Nicol but what if he says no? Who's next?

Maybe Nicol says, "fuck that, I ain't going to Toronto."

nascarguy
04-19-2010, 10:10 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Johnoe/Picture1-2.png
VOTE FOR ME

king dave
04-19-2010, 10:12 PM
Steve Nicol is currently employed by New England and was not listed in the options above.

Like I mentioned in another thread... everyone always says Steve Nicol but what if he says no? Who's next?

Maybe Nicol says, "fuck that, I ain't going to Toronto."
I just meant comparitively speaking, Nicol is a successful European manager of an MLS franchise. So it can be done.
KD.

king dave
04-19-2010, 10:13 PM
VOTE FOR ME
I can see the anti-KD banners already!
Hell, I'll even help make 'em:D.
KD.

Whoop
04-19-2010, 10:17 PM
I just meant comparitively speaking, Nicol is a successful European manager of an MLS franchise. So it can be done.
KD.

So if we can't get Steve Nicol, who is the next Steve Nicol?

denime
04-19-2010, 10:18 PM
VOTE FOR ME

This guy will have my vote 100%.

Who will sing Canadian Anthem in N.Carolina if he becomes our new GM? ;)

Nascarguy you know the Canadian Anthem?

Detroit_TFC
04-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Some teams have technical directors/"directors of soccer", some don't. Maybe we don't need one. LA seems to be doing much better since they dumped Lalas and went with Arena in the dual role of coach/manager. If Preki is both coach and making the primary roster decisions, maybe we have already gotten rid of our TD but the TD just doesn't want to go.

Edit:
I know that MJ is General Manager but IMHO he functions more as a TD. So says I.

nascarguy
04-19-2010, 10:24 PM
This guy will have my vote 100%.

Who will sing Canadian Anthem in N.Carolina if he becomes our new GM? ;)

Nascarguy you know the Canadian Anthem?
I'm going to be co-gm

nascarguy
04-19-2010, 10:26 PM
Some teams have technical directors/"directors of soccer", some don't. Maybe we don't need one. LA seems to be doing much better since they dumped Lalas and went with Arena in the dual role of coach/manager. If Preki is both coach and making the primary roster decisions, maybe we have already gotten rid of our TD but the TD just doesn't want to go.
yeah and jimmy can still be co-gm

king dave
04-19-2010, 10:27 PM
So if we can't get Steve Nicol, who is the next Steve Nicol?
Robbie Fowler, are you not getting the faxes son?

KD.

king dave
04-19-2010, 10:29 PM
I'm going to be co-gm
No. You are my caddy.
KD.

jloome
04-19-2010, 10:31 PM
Robbie Fowler, are you not getting the faxes son?

KD.

Dave, he's worth about 100 million pounds. I doubt he'd be even a wee bit interested.

Suds
04-19-2010, 10:38 PM
Dave, he's worth about 100 million pounds. I doubt he'd be even a wee bit interested.

maybe Robbie will feel sorry for us and buy TFC as a pet project and save us all!!

is anyone in Canada related to this guy? :D

king dave
04-19-2010, 10:52 PM
We will see. Retired people do crazy things for $$$:D.
KD.

106-12
04-19-2010, 11:06 PM
ME . and for the guys who know me and seen me play please i need your votes .

Brooker
04-19-2010, 11:09 PM
Look!
KD.

Gerba said MLSE was great and Johnston is the problem. No?

nascarguy
04-19-2010, 11:17 PM
No. You are my caddy.
KD.
yeah I know same thing co-gm/ beer caddy

king dave
04-19-2010, 11:28 PM
Gerba said MLSE was great and Johnston is the problem. No?
Me too.
I know this though,

1. The players are not happy.
2. The supporters are not happy.
3. And I have discovered a new late night cocktail,

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4042/4537152894_c785942be8.jpg

Kept the fruit punch in the freezer so I am drinking slushy baby!
KD.

Gixmo
04-19-2010, 11:37 PM
Fruite is the shit, but I prefer it when I'm sip'n my gin & ju-ice..

Laid back
/OT

king dave
04-19-2010, 11:39 PM
Now, seriously.
The next director of soccer here in Toronto will be elected from a pool of individuals who will follow/listen/take directive from the employer.
Let's not kid ourselves.
Toronto FC/MLS is a new thing here in North America.
But unlike other North American professional sports franchises, MLSE lack the experience. And that is our job as supporters.
KD.

ilikemusic
04-19-2010, 11:42 PM
Just a couple suggestions for MoJo's replacement. I think they would all do a comparable if not better job.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_R-_ONwRsAR8/SeyrM4WYr2I/AAAAAAAAAzQ/EQzMOMb5oPk/s1600/chimp_playing_poker_smoking.jpg

http://akpest.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/LOG-ren-and-stimpy-1552749-1280-1024.jpg

http://brainaudit.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/chair.jpg

king dave
04-19-2010, 11:44 PM
I love monkey pics!
Goodnight douchebags.
The strippers have arrived.
KD.

Kevvv
04-20-2010, 01:08 AM
Remember Dave: Saran Wrap, or CCD.

fetajr
04-20-2010, 10:35 AM
Rafael Carbajal... even though he's commited to Milltown FC, i'm sure $$ could lure him to TFC

Gobi
04-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Danny Dichio, blindfolded, with his hands tied behind his back and locked in a broom closet could replace both Mo and Preki and still do a better job.

DD for TFC!
DD for success!

J .
04-20-2010, 12:03 PM
1. mr lahey

Agreed

olegunnar
04-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Colin Clarke

Adrian Heath

Whoop
04-20-2010, 12:07 PM
I don't think Dichio or Brennan are ready yet to take over.