PDA

View Full Version : MLS Rumours Speculates -McBride deal done - 1 player, allocation money and draft pick

GabrielHurl
06-19-2008, 02:59 PM
http://www.mls-rumors.net/2008/06/incoming-brian-mcbride-to-chicago-fire.html

A source 'in a position to know' wrote us the following this morning. We have previously received good information from this source so have no reason not to believe him.

"Hello, I think you guys should know that a deal has been reached to bring Brian McBride to Chicago. The package that Chicago is sending Toronto includes a player, allocation money and a conditional draft pick. On your scale this would be an 10 because the deal is essentially done and awaiting final approval in (MLS Headquarters) New York. Keep up the good work."

So there you have it. McBride is coming home to Chicago.

Raging Reggie
06-19-2008, 03:00 PM
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh snap

Roogsy
06-19-2008, 03:01 PM
So far so good. I guess it depends who the player is and how much allocation. But I think Mo's response yesterday to the whiner's lies probably helped move things along. Way to go Mo!

Ron Manager
06-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Good. Now that that is done, let's see who we got and start making our other moves.....DP Striker.

Rawkus_420
06-19-2008, 03:08 PM
Whos it gunna be...id like to see Mapp personally...

Billy the kid
06-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Hope we got someone good. McBride will tear up the league for the next couple of years. How many people in the MLS could play at the level he's been playing at, and for non DP money.

Jack
06-19-2008, 03:14 PM
Rolfe.

BeachRed
06-19-2008, 03:15 PM
Good. Now that that is done, let's see who we got and start making our other moves.....DP Striker.

Does have a DP always work? I'm just curious, does every team have one (or two) and have all the recent winning teams had them?

Does it ever interfere too much with team chemistry?

I guess it's not possible for a GM to use what would have been DP money spread around a few other players to sort of raise the salary cap, is it?

Jack
06-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Does have a DP always work? I'm just curious, does every team have one (or two) and have all the recent winning teams had them?

Does it ever interfere too much with team chemistry?

I guess it's not possible for a GM to use what would have been DP money spread around a few other players to sort of raise the salary cap, is it?

No. A DP counts for $400,000 against your cap, regardless of what you pay him. If we sign a DP now, he only counts for $200k, since it's the halfway point (Cuauhtemoc was in this boat last year).

I'd say that DPs seem to be having some pretty decent success. Angel is good, Blanco has been great in Shitcago. Denilson was a bomb, but he's gone. Becky's been good...without him and Landycakes, the Gals are a USL Div 1 team at best.

Damien
06-19-2008, 03:19 PM
fuck i'm excited... i really hope Mo ripped Klopas' heart out of his ass!!!

Ron Manager
06-19-2008, 03:25 PM
I think whether we get Rolfe or Mapp may depend on the truth of the rumours of Edu moving.

olegunnar
06-19-2008, 03:41 PM
So mls-rumors is credible now?

ManUtd4ever
06-19-2008, 03:42 PM
If the player turns out to be Rolfe, TFC essentially lands a top striker by MLS standards in exchange for nothing, lol. The McBride saga was an unexpected windfall for MoJo and co. :D

shwade
06-19-2008, 03:43 PM
Sooo...do we still have the top allocation spot?

Ron Manager
06-19-2008, 03:44 PM
So mls-rumors is credible now?

It's easy to look credible on a move everyone knows will happen. Even if they have made this up, the deal will be announced at some point and they can conveniently blame any delay on MLS policies and red tape.;)

Artur3575
06-19-2008, 03:45 PM
well i hope something is done ...so we can look after a DP Striker i would think both of these moves would be enough this year to get us far...

ExiledRed
06-19-2008, 03:46 PM
Sooo...do we still have the top allocation spot?

I think thats a no,

essentially we just traded it for a player, some cash and a 'pick'

Ron Manager
06-19-2008, 03:47 PM
^^^ and if the player is Mapp or Rolfe, I think we did well.

Artur3575
06-19-2008, 03:48 PM
i say very well

shwade
06-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Oh I think I get it.
The whole discovery shit should go altogether.

yellowfellow
06-19-2008, 03:54 PM
http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/soccer/archives/2008/06/now_chicago_fir.html

So, we are not the only ones who think Klopas is an idiot...

Oblio2
06-19-2008, 03:54 PM
Fuck, Im excited....we had better do ok out of this. Fuck Kloppas!!!!!
Fuck Shit-Cago!!!!

C'mon the Reds!!!!

Ossington Mental Youth
06-19-2008, 03:56 PM
I think whether we get Rolfe or Mapp may depend on the truth of the rumours of Edu moving.
Not really as Mapp plays the wing and Rolfe is a striker.
Still stand by the idea that Edu will not be leaving us this season.
Perhaps at the end of it but i highly doubt this point in the season

Damien
06-19-2008, 04:01 PM
http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/soccer/archives/2008/06/now_chicago_fir.html

So, we are not the only ones who think Klopas is an idiot...

Haha great blog... the Chicago Hypocrites should be their official name.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-19-2008, 04:11 PM
Possibly Edus replacement right here, dunno if hes a DM, if he is, Edu might be leaving
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=2194

EDIT: NEVERMIND IM A RETARD, READ THE WHOLE ARTICLE

Nuvinho
06-19-2008, 04:12 PM
I heard on BS board (Chicago section) that Conde is not on the bench tonight. Just pure speculation, for now.

Oblio2
06-19-2008, 04:15 PM
I heard on BS board (Chicago section) that Conde is not on the bench tonight. Just pure speculation, for now.

Nice!!!

MG42
06-19-2008, 04:19 PM
I think if we get Conde or Mapp MoJo already has a team to trade them to, if it's Rolfe we'll keep him

S_D
06-19-2008, 04:20 PM
Well someone will have to go if this trade pans out because we don't have the roster space for an additional player.

Oblio2
06-19-2008, 04:22 PM
Cunninghamm...please Cunningham.....

S_D
06-19-2008, 04:22 PM

Don't read too much into that. Conde hasn't seen the bench on a number of occasions this year, and when he has been on the bench he has seen limited and somewhat useless minutes.

MG42
06-19-2008, 04:23 PM
Well someone will have to go if this trade pans out because we don't have the roster space for an additional player.

Hopefully we get Rolfe and we can ship out Cunny for $$ and a pick

J .
06-19-2008, 04:25 PM
It would be good to get Rolfe or Mapp. Either of them could play a role. Personally, I hope it is something Mo could package up to get...

DeRo!

:P

bangersandmash
06-19-2008, 04:30 PM
I know I'm probably alone here, but I am eager to see what the conditions on the draft pick are. This is very exciting. I wonder if Mo is listed in the phone book....

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2008, 04:46 PM
Blanco

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2008, 04:47 PM
It would be good to get Rolfe or Mapp. Either of them could play a role. Personally, I hope it is something Mo could package up to get...

DeRo!

:P

god no let him stay in houston

RealG-TFC
06-19-2008, 04:55 PM
why?

S_D
06-19-2008, 04:56 PM
make sure to watch the Chicago/Chivas game tonight. It should be on sopcast. Hopefully we will get a little info on the trade (if it has actually taken place)

Oblio2
06-19-2008, 04:56 PM
yeah, why?

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2008, 04:58 PM
why?

not a fan of De Ro, ok hes canadian, and thats why a lot want him on the team, but remember he didn't want to come here when given the chance,
before resigning with Houston...he wanted to play for a winner i believe was his quote at the time...so let him stay there.

RealG-TFC
06-19-2008, 05:01 PM
that's your reasoning?

He's a great player. And a player is what we are looking for.

Oblio2
06-19-2008, 05:03 PM
Wow. He's a fantastic player......He's do well here. His reasons were legit.

mighty_torontofc_2008
that's your reasoning?

He's a great player. And a player is what we are looking for.

Hes an ok player...wouldn''t says hes great!!

deltox
maybe we could field 6 mid-fielders

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2008, 05:05 PM
like to know whso going...i hope not Cunny....send the Fire lombardo..

oxygenatedbrain
06-19-2008, 05:08 PM

Dated June 7th...? He's out with a bad hamstring and hasn't been 100% for a while.

ensco
06-19-2008, 05:14 PM
Mapp - Chicago BS boards are full of people who say that he floats, and that he dogs it when he's hurt. He's not having a good year. He's had trouble getting back to the form he showed in 2006, when he was one of the best MFs in the league.

Doesn't sound like Mo's kind of guy, but based on the blog below, I'm worried that Mapp is the guy who is available. The USMNT rates Rolfe (and a bunch of other guys on the Fire) over Mapp.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/soccer_redcard/2008/06/bradley-calls-u.html

I want Rolfe. We need help at striker.

ccopela
06-19-2008, 05:16 PM
surprised no one has mentioned barrett yet. I'd be happy if he was the player

bangersandmash
06-19-2008, 05:17 PM
I'd be disappointed (but not too much) if its Conde. Our defence is pretty good. Only 2 goals at home (the whole team is to blame for our road performances!). Another defender isn't going to have a huge impact on the team. Attacking mid or forward!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-19-2008, 05:21 PM
Mlsintoronto is online...ask him! ;)

deltox
06-19-2008, 05:27 PM
he just said that mls rumors have it wrong

sully
06-19-2008, 05:33 PM
he just said that mls rumors have it wrong

where?

deltox
06-19-2008, 05:34 PM
in the bmo loses thread

sully
06-19-2008, 05:36 PM
mlsintoronto said [copied and pasted from BMO loses thread :

no - no idea where the mlsrumours com from...the previous news reports were pretty close to the truth... we know what we want and chicago has a lot to think about.

Jack
06-19-2008, 05:37 PM
where?
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=2182

And Mighty, if you don't want DeRo or think he's not quality, I will point you in the direction of the last two MLS Cup final games and you can tell me again what's wrong with DeRo. He's a big-game player with a ton of talent. Easily one of the top 5 players in the league.

Raging Reggie
06-19-2008, 05:52 PM
im going to watch the chicago game tonight, you think the player that we got still has a change to play tonight for chicago, or do you think they will be already packing getting ready to come here?

Jack
06-19-2008, 06:06 PM
I doubt it. The deal hasn't gone through yet and, given what Paul said, I would think
that it's still far enough away that they haven't actually told the players.

Nonetheless, I hope I'm wrong! :D

ManUtd4ever
06-19-2008, 06:15 PM
I believe logic would dictate that MoJo is after Rolfe, and that Rolfe is available given his redundancy on Chicago's roster with the addition of McBride. As many of you have suggested, Cunny would then be traded (for a 1st round draft pick IMO) to allow the roster/salary cap space to sign a DP striker. If the deal involves Rolfe straight up for the rights to McBride, it's still a steal...

GaryJamboTFC
06-19-2008, 06:18 PM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=2182

And Mighty, if you don't want DeRo or think he's not quality, I will point you in the direction of the last two MLS Cup final games and you can tell me again what's wrong with DeRo. He's a big-game player with a ton of talent. Easily one of the top 5 players in the league.

Mousey continues to demonstrate how little he/she/it knows about football. DeRo is a tremendous player at this level, not only a Canadian, but a hometown player. DeRo coming to TFC is a best possible scenario. Not likely, but we'd be extremely lucky if it happened.

Jack
06-19-2008, 06:21 PM
Mousey continues to demonstrate how little he/she/it knows about football. DeRo is a tremendous player at this level, not only a Canadian, but a hometown player. DeRo coming to TFC is a best possible scenario. Not likely, but we'd be extremely lucky if it happened.

This is some truth, right here.

DOMIN8R
06-19-2008, 06:25 PM
It will be Conde. He didn't travel to L.A.

ag futbol
06-19-2008, 06:27 PM
If that's the case, book his connector flight to NY because we have no need for another defender.

TFC OZZ
06-19-2008, 06:28 PM
Assuming we're getting Conde, and trading him to NY, who or what will we end up recieving from NY??

S_D
06-19-2008, 06:30 PM
^^^ money.

DOMIN8R
06-19-2008, 06:31 PM
I always thought this transaction would ultimatelly go 3 ways. McBride to Shitcago, Conde to TFC, Conde to Shite Bulls, Shit Bulls ???to TFC?

arsenal
06-19-2008, 06:31 PM
It will be Conde. He didn't travel to L.A.

Not necessarily. He has been injured and not playing for some time now.

DOMIN8R
06-19-2008, 06:34 PM
Why wouldn't he still travel?

Jack
06-19-2008, 06:35 PM
Sometimes injured players don't travel with the team.

arsenal
06-19-2008, 06:35 PM

Happens frequently. Not to mention he has been a locker room cancer and his teammates don't trust him ..... why bring him along?

djking2
06-19-2008, 06:37 PM
If we had offered to take Conde they'd have kissed Mo's ass and had the deal done a long time ago.

DOMIN8R
06-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Sometimes injured players don't travel with the team.

Not usually. Most MLS teams travel together no matter what.

The cancer argument, I buy.

Jack
06-19-2008, 06:38 PM
I think you guys are underestimating Trader Mo with this Conde stuff.

We could probably get him for much less than McBride, given the fact that he's buried on the bench and in the doghouse. They'd love to pass the whole "I want to play in New York soap opera off on us"

Jack
06-19-2008, 06:38 PM

How do you know this?

arsenal
06-19-2008, 06:40 PM

I do recall Dunivant not traveling to DC this year when injured. The process of flying is probably not the best for some injuries. I will be glad when this soap opera is done and we know the outcome .... but the drama is entertaining.

DOMIN8R
06-19-2008, 06:41 PM
How do you know this?

Bacause everytime I watch MLS games, other thn our own, injured players are always dressed in their suits off to the side of the bench somehwere. Even the DPs like Angel, Blanco, Becky.....

DOMIN8R
06-19-2008, 06:42 PM
I do recall Dunivant not traveling to DC this year when injured. I will be glad when this soap opera is done and we know the outcome .... but the drama is entertaining.

Alright. Then he is an exception to the rule. Or - I'm wrong:o

poppamidnight
06-19-2008, 06:43 PM
Conde??? are you kidding me???

Why another defender???

Marvell, Tyrone, Marco, Jimmy B...'
Then you have to quality Bench guys: Tebily, Julius James
some youth that has shown (limited time) they can play: attoakora-Gyan
plus a utility capable player in Dunivant...

We technically have 6 D-men that all should be starting...
Why would we want 7???

DOMIN8R
06-19-2008, 06:45 PM
Because it's a lucky number, Silly

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2008, 06:47 PM
Conde??? are you kidding me???

Why another defender???

Marvell, Tyrone, Marco, Jimmy B...'
Then you have to quality Bench guys: Tebily, Julius James
some youth that has shown (limited time) they can play: attoakora-Gyan
plus a utility capable player in Dunivant...

We technically have 6 D-men that all should be starting...
Why would we want 7???

Defence wins championships so the saying goes..you can never have enough quality defenders...this would help for future call up for wcq.

poppamidnight
06-19-2008, 06:49 PM
Defence wins championships so the saying goes..you can never have enough quality defenders...this would help for future call up for wcq.

What good is near DOUBLING a required position (7 should-be starters), when we dont even have 1 up front???

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2008, 06:52 PM
What good is near DOUBLING a required position (7 should-be starters), when we dont even have 1 up front???

trade bait...but scroing hasn't been a problem at home anyways, i would still rather have a stronger backline.

Keyman
06-19-2008, 06:53 PM
There is no need for Conde unless we are swinging him for something else, most likely to New York, so I put the odds of Conde being the lone man, at highly unlikely. I've said all along that I feel the player we are going after is Rolfe, and I'm sticking to it. The only thing that I do not understand is Chicago's reluctance to give up Rolfe, when they will end up still having a plethora of strikers even if Rolfe were to leave.

I still think both teams are pretty far away, but then again, I'm usually wrong about these things!

footyfan
06-19-2008, 06:56 PM
trade bait...but scroing hasn't been a problem at home anyways, i would still rather have a stronger backline.

If Toronto wins every home game and prevents every team from scoring against Toronto on the road through depleted rosters due to things next year like the CONCACAF Champions League and maybe even SuperLiga, then Toronto FC could be in a good position next year to win the Supporters Shield.

Just sayin. DC United's defense used to be the deepest in the league, with the likes of Eddie Pope, Ryan Nelsen, etc. And since scoring goals was never a problem this defensive depth helped DC United win championships.

Your organization is already on record as envying some of those early years of United so it would make sense for them to follow a similar blue print:

Creative latin american midfielder (check)
Serviceable role players (check)
Quality foreign forward (check)
Deep backline (in progress).

arsenal
06-19-2008, 06:58 PM
There is no need for Conde unless we are swinging him for something else, most likely to New York, so I put the odds of Conde being the lone man, at highly unlikely. I've said all along that I feel the player we are going after is Rolfe, and I'm sticking to it. The only thing that I do not understand is Chicago's reluctance to give up Rolfe, when they will end up still having a plethora of strikers even if Rolfe were to leave.

I still think both teams are pretty far away, but then again, I'm usually wrong about these things!

Chicago is reluctant to give up Rolfe because he is probably their 2nd best player. Unlike their other strikers (Frankowski, Barrett, Herron, etc) he plays in the midfield as well so adds versatility. He just got called in to the nat'l team again for this weekend (along with Barrett) so he is a young guy with promise ..... not the kind of guy you want to give up if you don't have to. That being said, I hope this is the guy Mo is going after and I hope he gets him ...... would be fine addition to the roster and allow us to deal Cunny right away even without a DP striker.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2008, 06:58 PM

who would we want from NY? they are terrible...Chicago knows that have a chance at the MLS championship and don't want to part with anyone,can't blame them thetr, but they wanted Mc bride.

Keyman
06-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Chicago is reluctant to give up Rolfe because he is probably their 2nd best player. Unlike their other strikers (Frankowski, Barrett, Herron, etc) he plays in the midfield as well so adds versatility. He just got called in to the nat'l team again for this weekend (along with Barrett) so he is a young guy with promise ..... not the kind of guy you want to give up if you don't have to. That being said, I hope this is the guy Mo is going after and I hope he gets him ...... would be fine addition to the roster and allow us to deal Cunny right away even without a DP striker.
Oh I know, I understand what type of a player Rolfe is. I just find it very odd that Chicago is SO reluctant to give him up, especially when you would be receiving a player who could potentially become the best striker in the league. Barrett has been playing very well this season, he's arguably been their top striker; he could easily replace Rolfe, if he hasn't already. Then you have Frankowski, Nyarko, Carr and Herron; all offer enough cover for the loss of Rolfe. Add Blanco to their offense, and you've got one hell of an attack. I just think that something might be up, it's my own opinion.

It all makes me think that Mapp is the potential target, however, Chicago isn't exactly in love with Mapp either.

arsenal
06-19-2008, 07:09 PM
Oh I know, I understand what type of a player Rolfe is. I just find it very odd that Chicago is SO reluctant to give him up, especially when you would be receiving a player who could potentially become the best striker in the league. Barrett has been playing very well this season, he's arguably been their top striker; he could easily replace Rolfe, if he hasn't already. Then you have Frankowski, Herron, Nyarko, Carr and Herron; all offer enough cover for the loss of Rolfe. Add Blanco to their offense, and you've got one hell of an attack. I just think that something might be up, it's my own opinion.

It all makes me think that Mapp is the potential target, however, Chicago isn't exactly in love with Mapp either.

Chicago should have to deal Rolfe ... their whiney bitch GM just doesn't want to do it. McBride makes them the favorite to win it this year and maybe next but after that they are in trouble. Not to mention, the guy is just coming off a serious knee injury, is 35, and his face busts up very easily. Lots of question marks ... I think Chicago is just hoping the league steps in and does them a favor.

Keyman
06-19-2008, 07:10 PM
who would we want from NY? they are terrible...Chicago knows that have a chance at the MLS championship and don't want to part with anyone,can't blame them thetr, but they wanted Mc bride.
Who would I want from New York? No one. Which is why I think the idea of Conde coming is highly unlikely. There is not one reasonable player that I would want in return for Conde from New York's roster.

jloome
06-19-2008, 07:13 PM
Ha, Mo's going to drive us all crazy with this one.

Keyman
06-19-2008, 07:16 PM
Chicago should have to deal Rolfe ... their whiney bitch GM just doesn't want to do it. McBride makes them the favorite to win it this year and maybe next but after that they are in trouble. Not to mention, the guy is just coming off a serious knee injury, is 35, and his face busts up very easily. Lots of question marks ... I think Chicago is just hoping the league steps in and does them a favor.

Well I think we're all hoping they do deal Rolfe, or Barrett, either one would be a fantastic addition to our front line.
Also, that could definitely could be the case, with them hoping for the league to step in. I'm actually surprsied that they have not stepped in yet. I was expecting them to give McBride "special status", to bring him home. I think the fact that Mo came out to the media, and went public the the McBride scenario, helped a lot. The league is going to have a lot of explaining to do if they hand Toronto the short end of the stick on this one.

DOMIN8R
06-19-2008, 07:16 PM
:iagree: :dupe:

BeachRed
06-19-2008, 07:24 PM
I think the fact that Mo came out to the media, and went public the the McBride scenario, helped a lot. The league is going to have a lot of explaining to do if they hand Toronto the short end of the stick on this one.

I think you're right. And like them or hate them, MLSE is a major player in the sports world and probably won't be easily pushed around.

J .
06-19-2008, 07:27 PM
I doubt Conde will be coming to TFC unless he will be packaged off.

Nyarko and a first round pick next year with some allocation money. TFC would be set for the future with our already two first round picks, a third would make out team very deep next season. Nyarko would be a future striker and with Ibrahim those two likely our starting pair 2-3 years down the road. MoJo could then go out and get us a DP and DD would be a very good backup, possibly could prolong his career.

footyfan
06-19-2008, 07:31 PM
Well I think we're all hoping they do deal Rolfe, or Barrett, either one would be a fantastic addition to our front line.
Also, that could definitely could be the case, with them hoping for the league to step in. I'm actually surprsied that they have not stepped in yet. I was expecting them to give McBride "special status", to bring him home. I think the fact that Mo came out to the media, and went public the the McBride scenario, helped a lot. The league is going to have a lot of explaining to do if they hand Toronto the short end of the stick on this one.

The league, specifically Garber back in 2006 said they were moving away from franchises and towards being clubs. As such clubs were given greater autonomy in dealings with players, the Designated Player rule was discussed, voted down and then passed a year later, the rules on how transfer money was handled and split were moved in the clubs favor, etc.

MLS has been moving away from being heavy handed with regards to clubs, they rather just let the clubs work it out for themselves. The old daysof centralized manipulation are gone, thank god.

Batman
06-19-2008, 07:32 PM
I've edited the tital to reflect what we know at this point. (It's not known to be a done deal)

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-19-2008, 07:39 PM
I've edited the tital to reflect what we know at this point. (It's not known to be a done deal)

hey batman..go to the SHE's a Beauty thread......there is a nice pic of you in there....or your twin! :)

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=2187&page=2

Batman
06-19-2008, 07:42 PM
Honestly, RPB, I dont really think I look THAT much like David Beckham... But I can understand your mistake!

Danbwoy
06-19-2008, 07:43 PM
I don't want to comb the thread, but is there any concrete source on this yet?

Batman
06-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Nope. It was denied earlier by Paul Bierne.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-19-2008, 07:49 PM
Nope. It was denied earlier by Paul Bierne.

Its all spec...right now....but i think Pauls ison the hush until...MLS signs the deal!...:hump:

This will be finalized 2morrow! :)

Marc"2L"
06-19-2008, 07:52 PM
not a fan of De Ro, ok hes canadian, and thats why a lot want him on the team, but remember he didn't want to come here when given the chance,
before resigning with Houston...he wanted to play for a winner i believe was his quote at the time...so let him stay there.

No.. he didn't come here because of the turf.

dantdot
06-19-2008, 07:56 PM
Sources usually appear on the boards before trades are announced, it's just MLS Rumors drumming up traffic.

Batman
06-19-2008, 08:11 PM
BTW I'm not saying its not happening. I just changed the thread title to reflect that it currently is speculation on MLS Rumours part.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2008, 08:15 PM

so when hosuton comes here he won;'t play on it?:confused:

ExiledRed
06-19-2008, 08:51 PM
so when hosuton comes here he won;'t play on it?:confused:

One game.

If he was here he'd play up to twenty, plus the away games on turf at rice eccles, Gillete, Giants and so on.

Marc"2L"
06-19-2008, 09:15 PM
DeRo is one of the main guys who wants Canada games at Saputo because of the grass.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2008, 10:19 PM
DeRo is one of the main guys who wants Canada games at Saputo because of the grass.
well if he gets tired in houston let the Impact have him!!

James17930
06-19-2008, 10:42 PM
I don't want Conde. We don't need another defender.

Lucky Strike
06-19-2008, 11:34 PM
1. I want either Barrett or Rolfe + 1st round pick + allocation
2. If Edu is going to leave, then Bakary Soumare is who I'm interested in. He's been excellent with Chicago.
3. If Conde has anything to do with us, it'll be because he's going to RBNY in exchange for god knows what. Other than Angel, a first-round pick (which looks like it might be pretty high) and allocation, they really have nothing we want

Although allocation is good and needed for an eventual DP striker, it expires after a while so we can't get hung-up on that. Further, the draft is becoming less and less important as the quality of the league grows. In my view, 1st rounders are of good use, 2nd rounders MIGHT pan out and anything after is pretty worthless aside from a diamond in the roughest rough you can find.

P.S. Why does everyone in the MLS think we need defenders?!?

James17930
06-19-2008, 11:43 PM
^^ I'd take Dane Richards in a heartbeat. Young, strong and fast. Although, I have a feeling RBNY are grooming him to try and step into Altidore's shoes.

Dirk Diggler
06-20-2008, 12:03 AM
Pardon my ignorance but is there even a player with the Fire that is worth essentially a straight swap for McBride? I know allocation money and a draft pick are being rumoured as well but we all know that draft picks in the MLS are essentially worthless (if you don't have the top pick that is). In terms of talent level, how would you guys rate Rolfe, Nyarko, Mapp etc relative to each other.

arsenal
06-20-2008, 08:05 AM
Seems like Mo may really drag this one out. Chicago is playing like shit and the players are probably affected by wondering who will be dealt and who will lose his spot to McBride. Shut out twice in a row now ..... should only help drive up the value of McBride.

S_D
06-20-2008, 08:09 AM
I just pulled these quotes from the chicago chivas game last night:

Well after watching this game and the previous one, Mapp and Rolfe are totally overrated by Chicago. hell I would dump either one of them for McBride in a heart beat.

Not sure even if I want to see either of them in a TFC kit.

and Barrett = Cunningham ;)

I have watched the last 2 chicago games.... they would all be a serious downgrade from what we have (yes even our subs). Not sure about their Generation Adidas guy though.

Mo should be asking for Rolf, Mapp AND Barrett just so he can trade them for allocation $$$ or send the allocation pick elswhere. There is no way that any one of them is worth McBride.

From what I have seen Chicago has overrated all of their players mentioned in the media "negotiations", and are seriously undermining the value of the players just by playing them. :D

Ossington Mental Youth
06-20-2008, 08:18 AM
Chicago did lose 2 - 0 so it could be that noone was playing properly.
Watch a few more chicago games and report back because i dont think that a loss is a shining example of how well people can play.

S_D
06-20-2008, 08:36 AM
Chicago has been playing terribly as of late and sure, they may be in a slump. But I still stand by my 2 game observation... none of them are worth it.

And you would think that these players would be playing their assess off to prove to Chicago that they are vital parts to the equation and shouldn't be traded. I will give you this though: the McBride stuff may have become a distraction to the Chicago team.

I will continue to watch the Chicago games (if available) and report back. And if I am wrong about my 2 game observation I will be the first one to take back all I have said :)

Ossington Mental Youth
06-20-2008, 08:46 AM
Good point on the distraction bit.
I should keep an eye out as well simply out of interest.
I think one or several of those guys have been called up (and/or considered for the nationals) so there must be something in there. As well as the fact that Chicago has been in the top 4 since hte start of the season. Blanco cant take all the credit. Ive got faith Mo will do good by us.

Pachuco
06-20-2008, 08:54 AM
Chicago has been playing terribly as of late and sure, they may be in a slump. But I still stand by my 2 game observation... none of them are worth it.

And you would think that these players would be playing their assess off to prove to Chicago that they are vital parts to the equation and shouldn't be traded. I will give you this though: the McBride stuff may have become a distraction to the Chicago team.

I will continue to watch the Chicago games (if available) and report back. And if I am wrong about my 2 game observation I will be the first one to take back all I have said :)

What would be interesting to see is going back to games that they have won. They've won as many games as us. You've only seen two games and they were shut out in both. They are a good team and have won 6 games for a reason. I wouldn't judge the players by simply those two games. Unless you tell me that they have no skill on the ball or something :confused:

Damien
06-20-2008, 08:59 AM
Chicago did lose 2 - 0 so it could be that noone was playing properly.
Watch a few more chicago games and report back because i dont think that a loss is a shining example of how well people can play.

Chicago's best interest is to pull the trigger on this trade ASAP... it could be rattling the players minds.

Oldtimer
06-20-2008, 09:00 AM

He actually gave both reasons, so you're both right. The turf, and playing for a "winner." Frankly, I don't blame him. Give up an MLS Cup win to play for the second worst expansion team in MLS history? And look at the injuries we had because of the turf until we had Winsper to counteract it.

S_D
06-20-2008, 09:09 AM
What would be interesting to see is going back to games that they have won. They've won as many games as us. You've only seen two games and they were shut out in both. They are a good team and have won 6 games for a reason. I wouldn't judge the players by simply those two games. Unless you tell me that they have no skill on the ball or something :confused:

Well Barrett missed a few shots that should have gone in. Right now he is missing shots like Cunningham is. The question we have to answer is does he still have an upside? I dunno.

As for all of the wins, look at the scoresheets. Blanco has been a monster for them. He didn't play too well in the last few games (still good at whining though lol) and I have a pretty strong suspicion that when he slumps so does Chicago. And that certainly doesn't help Chicago in the negotiations.

Blanco can't do everything and even great players like him have little slumps. If Chicago's "core" can't pick up the slack occasionally their perceived value just isn't there.

I trust Mo though over my judgement any day. ;)

poppamidnight
06-20-2008, 10:07 AM
My speculating is now if theres no evident IMMEDIATE move with Cunny, that the Chicago player will be Nyarko....

Makes sense that we'd have to rid ourselves of Cunny when we bring in that striker we want to bank our $ on (dp?)

Making Dichio our top-guy off the bench,
also giving us that future (Nyarko + Ibrahim)

Basically (in my eyes) its down to this:
-DP + the future (Nyarko)
-Wolfe/Barret/Mapp

Im thinking it will be the first, simply for the fact that with the second, you dont get the quality... if you went with the second AND ADDED THAT DP, you'd pretty much turn your back on Dichio for any sort of playing time for the rest of the year... Something too cold to do to the player that has come through most often for you when you've needed it

bangersandmash
06-20-2008, 10:15 AM
Nyarko is possibly the best deal. He's young, he's a striker and he's Generation Adidas which means (if I'm not mistaken) that his salary doesn't count against the cap. Toronto is already close to the cap. The first $400,000 of a DP's salary counts against the cap. Bringing in another Generation Adidas player gives TFC more wiggle room for bringing in a DP striker (which, given the level of expectation, will involve mo inventing a time machine, travelling back the the 70s and signing Cryuff or no one will be satisfied!). Bringing in a player like Wolfe/Barret/Mapp will mean paying them out of our cap money and reduce the pool of cap money available for a DP.

TOBOR !
06-20-2008, 10:21 AM
McBride and Cunningham for Barrett, someone else, cash + pick.

edit : baseless speculation

Ossington Mental Youth
06-20-2008, 10:22 AM
Dudes totally unproven tho, i really dont think Nyarko will be in the trade.
Id venture Rolfe and/or Mapp +Allocations+draft pick

Pachuco
06-20-2008, 10:37 AM
I know alot of people are saying Mapp. So I ask, what the heck would we do with Mapp? put him on the reserves? I mean, I can't see him playing over Robert and Ricketts and Smith more then holds his own as the winger sub. Can he play as a striker?

djking2
06-20-2008, 10:41 AM
^ Agreed. Who have they got they got they'd be willing to trade that would start here?

poppamidnight
06-20-2008, 10:44 AM
I know alot of people are saying Mapp. So I ask, what the heck would we do with Mapp? put him on the reserves? I mean, I can't see him playing over Robert and Ricketts and Smith more then holds his own as the winger sub. Can he play as a striker?

Thats my whole reasoning....

Cunny is going to get dumped at one point,

Theres no way theres gunna be any backstabbing and Dichio be completely out of the mix.... He will finish the year at least as our 1st player of the bench...

We're still gunna be playing 1 up front though,

So basically, if that 1 gunna be Rolfe/Barret?
or are you gunna move Amado upfront and put Mapp in his spot?
or are you gunna bring in a DP, and have this Chicago "mystery player" be a prospect?

Jack
06-20-2008, 10:44 AM
Nyarko is possibly the best deal. He's young, he's a striker and he's Generation Adidas which means (if I'm not mistaken) that his salary doesn't count against the cap. Toronto is already close to the cap. The first $400,000 of a DP's salary counts against the cap. Bringing in another Generation Adidas player gives TFC more wiggle room for bringing in a DP striker (which, given the level of expectation, will involve mo inventing a time machine, travelling back the the 70s and signing Cryuff or no one will be satisfied!). Bringing in a player like Wolfe/Barret/Mapp will mean paying them out of our cap money and reduce the pool of cap money available for a DP.

Just to clarify, the DP who comes in during the summer window only counts for $200k against the cap.

Pachuco
06-20-2008, 11:06 AM
Just to clarify, the DP who comes in during the summer window only counts for $200k against the cap.

for this year, but next year he would obviously count against the full cap, but I know you know that :)

Jack
06-20-2008, 11:12 AM
for this year, but next year he would obviously count against the full cap, but I know you know that :)

Right, but during the off-season it's a lot easier to get the cap space than in the middle of the season.

That's why I reiterated that point.

footyfan
06-20-2008, 12:12 PM
No. A DP counts for $400,000 against your cap, regardless of what you pay him. If we sign a DP now, he only counts for $200k, since it's the halfway point (Cuauhtemoc was in this boat last year).

I'd say that DPs seem to be having some pretty decent success. Angel is good, Blanco has been great in Shitcago. Denilson was a bomb, but he's gone. Becky's been good...without him and Landycakes, the Gals are a USL Div 1 team at best.

Gallardo and Emilio are doing quite well for United :)

Broadview
06-20-2008, 12:14 PM

Anyone know what date this takes effect?

Pachuco
06-20-2008, 12:15 PM
Gallardo and Emilio are doing quite well for United :)

you wouldn't have said that 3 weeks ago. Wait until they prove they can be consistent this year because you make such statement.

Jack
06-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Anyone know what date this takes effect?

Summer transfer window. Basically, now.

Lucky Strike
06-20-2008, 12:49 PM
you wouldn't have said that 3 weeks ago. Wait until they prove they can be consistent this year because you make such statement.

+1...

Ossington Mental Youth
06-20-2008, 12:52 PM

Pretty much
I was just looking at the chicago website
and barretts got 5 goals and 3 assists in 12 games (much like Dichio but younger) and Rolfe has 2 goals and 2 assists in 8 games (or summat)

arsenal
06-20-2008, 01:00 PM
Pretty much
I was just looking at the chicago website
and barretts got 5 goals and 3 assists in 12 games (much like Dichio but younger) and Rolfe has 2 goals and 2 assists in 8 games (or summat)

If looking at stats .... keep in mind Rolfe has played most of the season on the right side of midfield.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-20-2008, 01:01 PM
If looking at stats .... keep in mind Rolfe has played most of the season on the right side of midfield.

Yep, out of position (sorta)

Ossington Mental Youth
06-20-2008, 01:18 PM
Tho not the greatest team in the world they are at least organized and have depth.
Lookie lookie who got called up
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=2237

S_D
06-20-2008, 04:49 PM
some interesting comments by fire fans on Ives article "what's wrong with the fire":

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/06/whats-up-with-t.html

for some of them McBride can't get there fast enough
for others Barrett can't get out of there fast enough