PDA

View Full Version : We can't score. Here's why

craz11
04-19-2010, 05:18 PM
History of TFC attacking players:

Year 1: Mo trades Conor Casey (32G, 6A since)
Mo trades Helmet Eskandarian (9G, now retired)
Mo trades Edson Buddle (32G, 3A since)
Mo releases useless Andy Welsh

Year 2: Mo trades Ronnie O'brien (4G, 6A since)

Year 3: Mo trades Jeff Cunningham (23G, 10A since)
Mo releases Rohan Ricketts (5G, 1A in Hungary) <- last true winger we've had
TFC asks Danny Dichio to retire (14G, 9A over 2.25 seasons)

Year 4: Mo releases Amado Guevara (9G, 6A over 2 seasons)

Of these guys he's replaced them with:
Dwayne De Rosario (very respectable 15G, 6A starting Year 3)
Chad "Grin-and" Barrett (9G, 4A starting halfway Year 2)
O'Brien White (Jury's out - can he finish? - What's obvious is he's slow as uphill balls)
Julian De Guzman (0, zilch, nada - we pay a DEFENSIVE midfielder to try to be an ATTACKING player? - there's a reason Robbo isn't on this list)
Amadou Samyang <-- who is this guy? seriously? did Mo find him kicking balls around outside BMO?
Sam Cronin (1G, 3A - guy played defensive mid in college. See De Guzman, Julian)
Matin Saric (has 4G in his pro carrer going back to 2001. 2001?!?!?!)
Nick LaBrocca (4G, 1A in 2 full seasons in MLS)

So a little number interpretation:
IN : (30G, 14A)
OUT: (123G, 50A)

You can say the OUT guys are playing better tactics, on better teams, but that just proves my point. Mo has been doing a lousy job since day 1.

Anyone remember day 1?

All We Are Saying ... Is Give Us Some Goals

:facepalm:

OHARARULES
04-19-2010, 05:22 PM
Not sure if I buy what your selling..

but I do like the part about day 1

"All We Are Saying ... Is Give Us Some Goals "

Super Cereal
04-19-2010, 05:29 PM
O'Brian White didn't look slow winning the PK against Philly...

Bombonera
04-19-2010, 05:57 PM
OBW - "Slow as uphill balls" Funny!

Yup, totally remarkable underperformance.. BUT IT WAS THE TURF wasn't it?

ag futbol
04-19-2010, 06:06 PM
That's a good synopsis of the more meaningful moves that have happened to the club in the past. There's a couple of things going on there:

1) The coaching in the past was terrible.

2) We had a bunch of parts as opposed to a team that is supposed to create synergy when working together.

3) Our management can't identify talent, they simply roll the dice as many times as needed to get something they see as valuable.

rocker
04-19-2010, 07:11 PM
O'Brian White didn't look slow winning the PK against Philly...

yeah, I agree. he isn't slow by any means (Garcia is slow).

Anyhow, next thing you know Mo will trade O'Brien White to Houston and White will go on to score 10-12 goals.

fetajr
04-19-2010, 08:10 PM
we can't score because we have no attacking game plan and strategy...or if we ever had one, it sucks. We pass side to side, no tactic to penetrate the defense.

jloome
04-19-2010, 08:17 PM

Anyhow, next thing you know Mo will trade O'Brien White to Houston and White will go on to score 10-12 goals.

Average first step, good pace. Two different things. Teams judge by both their acceleration towards theball or away with it and also their speed up and down the pitch/line. His first step is average, but his speed and strength are good, which is why he's a diagonal, cutting striker. He actually dribbles alright, too.

His problem right now is his off-the-ball movement. He doesn't move laterally enough to either a) pull the centre halfs apart and create space or b) lose his marker and create space to receive and shoot/attack the net.

jloome
04-19-2010, 08:19 PM
History of TFC attacking players:

Year 1: Mo trades Conor Casey (32G, 6A since)
Mo trades Helmet Eskandarian (9G, now retired)
Mo trades Edson Buddle (32G, 3A since)
Mo releases useless Andy Welsh

Year 3: Mo trades Jeff Cunningham (23G, 10A since)
Mo releases Rohan Ricketts (5G, 1A in Hungary) <- last true winger we've had
TFC asks Danny Dichio to retire (14G, 9A over 2.25 seasons)

Year 4: Mo releases Amado Guevara (9G, 6A over 2 seasons)

Of these guys he's replaced them with:
Dwayne De Rosario (very respectable 15G, 6A starting Year 3)
Chad "Grin-and" Barrett (9G, 4A starting halfway Year 2)
O'Brien White (Jury's out - can he finish? - What's obvious is he's slow as uphill balls)
Julian De Guzman (0, zilch, nada - we pay a DEFENSIVE midfielder to try to be an ATTACKING player? - there's a reason Robbo isn't on this list)
Amadou Samyang <-- who is this guy? seriously? did Mo find him kicking balls around outside BMO?
Sam Cronin (1G, 3A - guy played defensive mid in college. See De Guzman, Julian)
Matin Saric (has 4G in his pro carrer going back to 2001. 2001?!?!?!)
Nick LaBrocca (4G, 1A in 2 full seasons in MLS)

So a little number interpretation:
IN : (30G, 14A)
OUT: (123G, 50A)

You can say the OUT guys are playing better tactics, on better teams, but that just proves my point. Mo has been doing a lousy job since day 1.

Anyone remember day 1?

All We Are Saying ... Is Give Us Some Goals

:facepalm:

Unhappy players don't produce. They need a healthy mixture of "happiness/fear of god", not all of one or the other.

FootieChick
04-19-2010, 08:23 PM
I'm not liking this whole Sanyang thing... the guy has more passion for the game then we do!

He absolutely loves being here, the team, the players, and he works his ass off out on that field. But what are you going to do if you don't have the opportunity? Our team stinks right now!

Yes, he is a friend of mine and I often speak with him about how he played... he has promised me no red cards this season (haha). He wasn't meant to be a striker, he was meant to bring the ball up the field, which is what he does.

Nerepis
04-19-2010, 08:26 PM
Unhappy players don't produce. They need a healthy mixture of "happiness/fear of god", not all of one or the other.

I don't think a truer sentence has ever been written on this board.

222Westside
04-19-2010, 08:35 PM
Guys guys, don't worry..... next year they are going to get new flags at BMO field.

ballerz
04-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Mo trades away/releases strikers, wingers, defenders and brings back central and defensive midfielders to replace them. Don't think about scoring goals, we can hardly field a game day roster with everyone playing their natural positions.

sweetlemon69
04-19-2010, 08:40 PM
JDG is playing a defensive midfielder position. He started uptop once.

FluSH
04-19-2010, 08:45 PM
It's very sad to learn the truth...

Jose Mourinho
04-19-2010, 08:47 PM
Hey, who did we get in return for Casey? If I'm not mistaken he is playing in the German 3rd division.

ballerz
04-19-2010, 09:46 PM
Hey, who did we get in return for Casey? If I'm not mistaken he is playing in the German 3rd division.
He's one Riley O'Neil, currently of SV Wilhemshaven - a 4th division German club.

rocker
04-19-2010, 09:47 PM
interesting comments from Schellas Hyndman of Dallas today on Cunny...

“I think he’s a complicated person to figure out. He’s been around so long and he’s a proven goal scorer,” the FCD coach said. “You look at him and think it must be confidence. Maybe he’s thinking too much instead of trying to be natural. He’s a player that kind of wears his emotions on his sleeve. He’s not an easy player to counsel because if you say the wrong thing to him, he takes it the wrong way. So what you hope to do is have him come out of it. And then at some point in time, you have to look at someone else.”
“This game coming up is a real opportunity for him to come out. We all know he can do it. It’s getting it done in practice. That’s where you build the confidence. If you can score four or five goals in practice, then that builds confidence for the game.”

Jamaicanadian
04-19-2010, 09:56 PM

I was thinking something very similar lol

Oh and OB is not slow......Looked slow against Wynne tho.......

Ossington Mental Youth
04-19-2010, 10:48 PM
THIS is correct

That's a good synopsis of the more meaningful moves that have happened to the club in the past. There's a couple of things going on there:

1) The coaching in the past was terrible.

2) We had a bunch of parts as opposed to a team that is supposed to create synergy when working together.

3) Our management can't identify talent, they simply roll the dice as many times as needed to get something they see as valuable.

jloome
04-19-2010, 10:58 PM
interesting comments from Schellas Hyndman of Dallas today on Cunny...

“I think he’s a complicated person to figure out. He’s been around so long and he’s a proven goal scorer,” the FCD coach said. “You look at him and think it must be confidence. Maybe he’s thinking too much instead of trying to be natural. He’s a player that kind of wears his emotions on his sleeve. He’s not an easy player to counsel because if you say the wrong thing to him, he takes it the wrong way. So what you hope to do is have him come out of it. And then at some point in time, you have to look at someone else.”
“This game coming up is a real opportunity for him to come out. We all know he can do it. It’s getting it done in practice. That’s where you build the confidence. If you can score four or five goals in practice, then that builds confidence for the game.”

Smart coach.

Beach_Red
04-19-2010, 11:03 PM
Smart coach.

Remember when Carver said they were recreating all Cunningham's chances from the game in a practise but they only a few hours so they couldn't get to them all? A funny line, but maybe not the best motivator...

drewski
04-20-2010, 08:14 AM
besides AG (who wasn't keen on staying IIRC), I don't remember any of them being particularly prolific while here

BFin
04-20-2010, 08:46 AM
Ripping on Sanyang for no reason?

Why hasn't that god damn defender scored more goals for our team?!?!

s2cazz
04-20-2010, 10:03 AM
heres our problem in my eyes:

1. we need to play people in their positions
a. JDG - Play him in a DM position and I'm sure he will shine.
b. DERO - I love the guy but he is not a striker. He is an attacking mid. His 8 - 12 goals a season would continue in an attacking mid position and we would probably be more creative of a play maker than guevara if he was given a quality striker to work with (no offense to OBW)

2. OBW and Barrett are better wingers than centers.

3. DP -We needed a striker. We did not need a DM as a DP. But JDG sells lots of tickets. Get us someone to score goals.

thats my $0.02

Parkdale
04-20-2010, 10:05 AM

clearly you don't remember your history. Ronnie O'Brien REQUESTED the trade.

but don't let the truth get in the way of a good argument.

http://mcnutt.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/colbert-truthiness.jpg

s2cazz
04-20-2010, 10:07 AM

http://mcnutt.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/colbert-truthiness.jpg

isn't that Bill Archers Motto?

rocker
04-20-2010, 10:11 AM

the funny thing is he says 'since' after Ronnie's stats.... Ronnie hasn't actually played in two seasons... the guy disappeared. Obviously he had some issues beyond playing soccer to deal with. strange guy.