PDA

View Full Version : Why it might be better to get rid of Mo now (then later)

Damien
04-19-2010, 11:38 AM
I'm just putting this out as a for instance...

But say we're at about mid-season and the season is pretty much shot...
And let's say Mo has not been fired (yet)....

If you're in his shoes, do you make a last ditch attempt to trade away the future (draft picks, prospects, attakora/cronin/frei/sanyang/gomez) to make room for some half-assed geezer from europe to come in to score a goal or two and maybe become playoff longshot?

Like why not, you're gonna be fired anyway... right?

D.

trane
04-19-2010, 11:44 AM
The sooner we start the overhaul the better. Simple as that in my eyes. Whatever happens with this seasons happens. I give it 10 games. Then if it is the same old same old, they have to fire him.

ilikemusic
04-19-2010, 11:45 AM
He should have been fired three years ago.

nfitz
04-19-2010, 11:47 AM
If we win on Sunday, we'll be ahead of where we were last year in points.

This is way premature!

If there is house-cleaning now, the season is shot. We still have a chance. We are starting to see some dividends; in the last 2 games, only a single goal was scored against us in open play.

trane
04-19-2010, 11:49 AM
^ Hahahaha. That is funny , that you think it is premature to fire MO. Are you Mo or related to him?

Batman
04-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Mo is officially a lame duck. There is no way MLSE can allow him to tie the club down with any future poor signings (especially DP signings) that could screw the team for years beyond Mo's tenure.

Based upon this, he should be released at 2 PM today. Any longer is simply prolonging the agony.

fetajr
04-19-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm sure Anselmi is googleing "how to hire a good soccer manager" right now as we speak

Suds
04-19-2010, 11:51 AM

This is way premature!

If there is house-cleaning now, the season is shot. We still have a chance. We are starting to see some dividends; in the last 2 games, only a single goal was scored against us in open play.

I'll give my all and cheer on the team on Sunday ... but my brain tells me Seattle is going to hand our collective asses to us.

nascarguy
04-19-2010, 11:52 AM
win or lose mo has to go now and before the next game it is what is best for the team.

drewski
04-19-2010, 11:53 AM

This is way premature!

points are only one aspect. we may be ahead in points but we've played like shit. shitier than we did at this point last year IMO. Our only points came against an expansion team who were down a man for over half the game. A game we should have owned but only won by 1 goal

mastermixer
04-19-2010, 11:53 AM
I'll be at the game for support as well on Sunday but all my soccer knowledge tells me the way this team has played so far this year has no chance against an organized team like Seattle.

Beach_Red
04-19-2010, 11:59 AM
I'm sure Anselmi is googleing "how to hire a good soccer manager" right now as we speak

Well, he can't very well hire Gord Kirk to do it for him for soccer.

No, they'll fire Mo and First Wave will move another client into the job immediately.

Really what should happen is MLSE should partner with someone the way RSL have or the way New York has the other Red Bull teams.

Of course that would mean splitting the profits.

nfitz
04-19-2010, 12:02 PM
^ Hahahaha. That is funny , that you think it is premature to fire MO. Are you Mo or related to him?I think he is doing an okay job!

Have you listened to the Gerba interview? Clearly the guy is cancer. Clearly firing such a player was going to not look good. Mo had the balls to do it (or let Preki do it).

I don't really see the need to panic.

Roogsy
04-19-2010, 12:05 PM
I think he is doing an okay job!

[...]

:facepalm:

Whoop
04-19-2010, 12:06 PM
Take out the cancer now. It's spread... and it's still spreading...

trane
04-19-2010, 12:16 PM
:facepalm:

I am ussualy anit-face palms, but it does seem appropriate.

Aroundtheworld
04-19-2010, 12:38 PM
I think they should fire Mo now, not so much because I think it will salvage this season (it won't), but that it will be better for next season. Look at RSL year 3. They were a total mess and then changed everything midseason. It took them a while to start winning under Jason Kreis that year, but you could see they had promise. The next season they go on to make the playoffs and the year after that they win the MLS Cup.

Super
04-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Even if we went on to win the MLS Cup at this point I'd still want Mo fired. I just don't like his methods, and I don't trust him to have ANYTHING to do with this team. I want him gone - period. He has greatly outstayed his welcome.

koryo
04-19-2010, 12:55 PM

Have you listened to the Gerba interview? Clearly the guy is cancer. Clearly firing such a player was going to not look good. Mo had the balls to do it (or let Preki do it).

Dear, dear me. The most unfortunate thing is that you really believe what you post, don't you?

Common through your posts to-date:
- pro-management bias
- utterly no consideration for both sides of an argument
- no demonstrated football knowledge

People around here are fed up with Johnston because he's had three+ years to build, at the very least, a stable and competitive side. We're nowhere near that very modest goal. That constitutes dereliction as far as I'm concerned, and there isn't much else to argue.

You're either from MLSE (marketing or otherwise), don't know any better (which includes relations, the media), or you're Kavanagh in disguise.

Whichever way, at least do us the courtesy of clearly stating your motives. Otherwise, kindly consider pissing off please.

ComedyOfErrors
04-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Hey nfitz.

I DID listen to Gerba's interview! I can't believe the spin you are putting on it and I must question your motives. The interview I watched was a calm person explaining from his perspective what has happened to him. He clearly states that he has no issues with the upper echelons of management but with the inviduals (Mo and Preki) who decided his football future in Toronto. The lack of integrity, lack of honesty, and lack of mangerial ability are constantly recurring themes for Mo.
Similar 'stories' and 'anecdotes' re-appear far too often to not have an element of truth. It is rare for athletes to speak honeslty and openly about the 'locker room'. I for one, praise Gerba for his candor. To say that Mo has "an okay manager" is like having the Band play an encore on the Titanic!

Having said that, I am willing to wait out the next few games before I hoist my UNCENSORED Banner.
:scarf::flare:

KezmanCCCC
04-19-2010, 01:25 PM
Out With Mo Asap.....

reggie
04-19-2010, 01:32 PM
i wonder who the other guy was that he interviewed other then MO(MUST GO NOW AND BRING PRICKY WITH HIM)

Oldtimer
04-19-2010, 01:36 PM
For MLSE as an organization, they can't afford to fire Mo without giving him a chance this year. Otherwise, they won't be able to attract decent GMs.

Also, as much as Mo seems the ultimate problem, and Preki is part of Mo's mess, it won't benefit us to change horses midstream. I'm afraid that we will have to ride out a terrible season.

It's clear that MO MUST GO, however, later in the season is the appropriate time.

For us as supporters (and everyone listens to the supporters, and especially to the RPB) we will need to do as much as possible to ensure that the pink slip makes it to Mo's desk, and he doesn't get "year 5 of the 5 year plan."

Oldtimer
04-19-2010, 01:36 PM
i wonder who the other guy was that he interviewed other then MO(MUST GO NOW AND BRING PRICKY WITH HIM)

Bruce Arena (if my memory serves correctly).

reggie
04-19-2010, 01:47 PM
really...and he hired mo based on what....the sound of his voice or his great record at ny.
MO MUST GO NOW AND BRING PRICKY AND ANSELMI WITH HIM

Oldtimer
04-19-2010, 01:50 PM
Anselmi's not the problem (although he hired Mo and gave him a contract extension). Mo is a manipulator, and could pull the wool over a non-footy boss's eyes.

Ali said that he had NO problems with MLSE as an organization, and the organization treats the players well. He'd love to work for them again.

The problem starts in the GM's office.

Stryker
04-19-2010, 01:51 PM
I suspect Mo will be gone by the end of may. At that point it'll be Preki's ship for the rest of the season. If he can't fix shit and produce results MLSE will have no choice but to give ethier Hart or Nichol whatever they want to come here or risk long term damage to the franchise.

Beach_Red
04-19-2010, 02:23 PM
Anselmi's not the problem (although he hired Mo and gave him a contract extension). Mo is a manipulator, and could pull the wool over a non-footy boss's eyes.

Ali said that he had NO problems with MLSE as an organization, and the organization treats the players well. He'd love to work for them again.

The problem starts in the GM's office.

Well le's hope that's true because it's about all the change we can expect.

ua-kozak_TFC
04-19-2010, 02:34 PM
For MLSE as an organization, they can't afford to fire Mo without giving him a chance this year. Otherwise, they won't be able to attract decent GMs.

Also, as much as Mo seems the ultimate problem, and Preki is part of Mo's mess, it won't benefit us to change horses midstream. I'm afraid that we will have to ride out a terrible season.

It's clear that MO MUST GO, however, later in the season is the appropriate time.

For us as supporters (and everyone listens to the supporters, and especially to the RPB) we will need to do as much as possible to ensure that the pink slip makes it to Mo's desk, and he doesn't get "year 5 of the 5 year plan."
I disagree... I think its exactly the opposite. 4 years IS MORE than what any decent manager would ask for a shot at showing what they can do. And is way more than the contract they would sign.

I think for MLSE is far more important to be respected in the eyes of the fans... the fans is what they should be worried to attract.

ps: Oldtimer this is exactly what i wanted to to know in the poll i made, but you blocked. when everyone thinks Mo should be gone... Now... in 10 games... at the end of the season or at the end of his contract (after year 5). I think a poll like his would be very insightful... The statistics would be interesting and show us where we stand as a group... something that can;t be quatified by the repeating fire Mo posts... just a thought.

Beach_Red
04-19-2010, 02:46 PM
I disagree... I think its exactly the opposite. 4 years IS MORE than what any decent manager would ask for a shot at showing what they can do. And is way more than the contract they would sign.

How many years should it be to attract the best possible candidate to Toronto?

nfitz
04-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Dear, dear me. The most unfortunate thing is that you really believe what you post, don't you?I believe what I post??? Ha ha.

I have concerns about Mo, I exagerate my support in him to make a point.

We have all sorts of people here being really, really, silly and trying to sabotage our season. Blowing up the place at the moment isn't going to get us anywhere this season. There's still a long year in front of us.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be action. I just can't think that this is the time.

You're either from MLSE (marketing or otherwise), don't know any better (which includes relations, the media), or you're Kavanagh in disguise.I see absolutly no reason for such absurd claims. Just because you don't agree with someone, doesn't mean that they are part of some conspiracy. Why the George Bush-like "My way or the highway" attitude? Is your position so weak that it can't take some debate?

I think it's sad to see alleged "supporters" failling to provide support so early in the season, and jumping on board every bad news bandwagon so quickly. That's not the kind of support we need. It's a long season ... it should be clear by July/August if we need to take action.

I DID listen to Gerba's interview! I can't believe the spin you are putting on it and I must question your motives. The interview I watched was a calm person explaining from his perspective what has happened to him. He clearly states that he has no issues with the upper echelons of management but with the inviduals (Mo and Preki) who decided his football future in Toronto.Which is precisely why it seems to be a good thing they got rid of him. The reason he was shipped home is now quite apparent; there can't be any doubt he was making similiar comments in the locker room. Ergo, he is cancer, and what choice did they have but to remove him quickly. We should congratulate Preki and Mo for moving quickly on this!

koryo
04-19-2010, 03:14 PM
^^ So, long story short:

- you post what you post to provoke reaction
- this is all for debate but Gerba is a cancer beyond a shadow of a doubt
- Johnston & Preki deserve to be congratulated for potentially doing their jobs
- rather than demand accountability from those we turn our hard-earned money over to each season, support really should just be about cheerleading.

Go on, tell me another one...

nfitz
04-19-2010, 03:40 PM
- you post what you post to provoke reactionNo, to restore balance, which appears to be absent.

- this is all for debate but Gerba is a cancer beyond a shadow of a doubtThis is what we've heard in the past isn't it? Aren't there were suggestions of this last season, and before he came? This just seems to be same old to me. Why is anyone so quick to put so much faith in someone who has clearly fallen. He had been sent packing by an English Third Division club when we got him. Clearly Mo failed to do his homework ... and really should be questioned.

- Johnston & Preki deserve to be congratulated for potentially doing their jobsYes, they should be recognised for doing their jobs on the dismissal. It was clearly not the easy route.

- rather than demand accountability from those we turn our hard-earned money over to each season, support really should just be about cheerleading.No. I never said that. I've said the opposite. However, there will be limited opportunities to make an impact with action. I don't believe the timing is right. If there is outrage from fans everytime we loose on the road, it looses impact. At the same time, we are sitting on one of the current longest home unbeaten records in MLS games.

spark
04-19-2010, 04:21 PM

HAHAHAHA

You must be from MLSE - you applaud mediocrity!

Luanda
04-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Imagine the following scenario.

MOJO gets the pink slip now. His replacement is found within a matter of weeks. He comes in and: a) immediately gets rid of the whole coaching staff with new hires; this is followed simultaneously by b) getting rid of what he deems to be "dead" wood.

I am afraid that we would not be better off. Better to work with the Devil you know than that which you do not. This said, MOJO to be let go near or at season's end.

J .
04-19-2010, 04:43 PM
Let the season play out, if we dont make a run in the playoffs, then new management need the off season to make changes.

canadian_bhoy
04-19-2010, 04:50 PM
TFC needs to do the same thing that Seattle did with Sigi Schmid. They had him lined up halfway through the season and once the MLS Cup was over - he stepped right in with the Sounders.

TFC should be getting Steve Nicol lined up right now so that when the season ends, he can step right in.

Is Mo going to save this season? (not with Paul Dickov he isn't).
Should Mo be around next season? (no)
If he isn't going to help things this season and shouldn't be around next season, then what's the point of him being here one second longer?

Whoop
04-19-2010, 04:56 PM
But who says that Steve Nicol wants to be here?

I mean everyone turns to Steve Nicol as the savior, but what if he says, "No, thanks"?

Now who do you turn to?

I can see having him #1 on your list of potential candidates, but you don't want to be scrambling if he says no.

They should be doing an extensive search to come up with 5-6 possible candidates. Once they do that, they let Mo go (whether it's during the season or at the end - depending on the availability of their candidates) and move on it quickly.

ua-kozak_TFC
04-19-2010, 04:57 PM

MOJO gets the pink slip now. His replacement is found within a matter of weeks. He comes in and: a) immediately gets rid of the whole coaching staff with new hires; this is followed simultaneously by b) getting rid of what he deems to be "dead" wood.

I am afraid that we would not be better off. Better to work with the Devil you know than that which you do not. This said, MOJO to be let go near or at season's end.
then by your logic... we should never to try to change anything. And keep Mo for ever in fear that someone will come in and dismantle everything we already have... Let the dismatteling begin... we have a shit squad either way. If dismatling this shit team is what it takes to build a winner team. He;s got my support...

ua-kozak_TFC
04-19-2010, 05:03 PM
But who says that Steve Nicol wants to be here?

I mean everyone turns to Steve Nicol as the savior, but what if he says, "No, thanks"?

Now who do you turn to?

I can see having him #1 on your list of potential candidates, but you don't want to be scrambling if he says no.

They should be doing an extensive search to come up with 5-6 possible candidates. Once they do that, they let Mo go (whether it's during the season or at the end - depending on the availability of their candidates) and move on it quickly.
WRONG!!!
regardless whether NICols is on board... one thing is for certain. As canadian-bhoy said... if MO can;t help us... and Preki is building... THEN WHY the heck would you keep the dude?? Just so he f-ed up further and leave the team in ruins... because it can always get worse. he can trade our most important assents or future.. (Atakora, Frei, draft picks, etc)

Whoop
04-19-2010, 05:07 PM
Umm... so who do put in place in the interim?

If someone is available now and you want him, you can gas Mo.

But say you want Steve Nicol... and there's a gentleman's agreement that he will come here for example, well Steve Nicol can't get hired until the NER season is over.

The only options you have if you gas Mo is to put Brennan or Preki in charge temporarily. But if they aren't options for the job down the road, they could fuck up the team too.

Or find someone now.... so who would you hire?

You can't hire Nicol right now, nor Bruce Arena.

Don Julio
04-19-2010, 05:15 PM
I'm just putting this out as a for instance...

But say we're at about mid-season and the season is pretty much shot...
And let's say Mo has not been fired (yet)....

If you're in his shoes, do you make a last ditch attempt to trade away the future (draft picks, prospects, attakora/cronin/frei/sanyang/gomez) to make room for some half-assed geezer from europe to come in to score a goal or two and maybe become playoff longshot?

Like why not, you're gonna be fired anyway... right?

D.

Um, has Mo not already done that 1-2 times a season since the beginning? It's sad that we'd probably be better off starting again completely from scratch, releasing all our players and cap hits, and doing an expansion draft.

Red Baron
04-19-2010, 05:23 PM
replace Mo with Mourinho

Beach_Red
04-19-2010, 05:26 PM

But say you want Steve Nicol... and there's a gentleman's agreement that he will come here for example, well Steve Nicol can't get hired until the NER season is over.

The only options you have if you gas Mo is to put Brennan or Preki in charge temporarily. But if they aren't options for the job down the road, they could fuck up the team too.

It depends why you're making the change. If it's to fix an attitude problem on the team then he doesn't need to be replaced, Preki just takes over.

If it's to start shaking up the line-up again and to go out and sign another DP (stop laughing, the new rules say we could sign two more) then sure, someone else would have to be lined up.

ua-kozak_TFC
04-19-2010, 05:30 PM

I think you are underestimating Mo and his ability of wiggle out of problems and screw things up. I believe this. Do we have garantees that Preki will be a good coach? NO, and that is why he should be given some time. But there is one garantee, and its that Mo is clueless and incompetent on how to run the team. So this is a case of addition by substraction. At this moment i have more trust in Preki. Than I ever had for Mo and his long list of internal problems with TFC and past history, reiforces this believe. i think this year should be a testing ground for Preki but not Mo to further Fup our team... And it cannot be allowed for him to do more than demage even if the interim coach may also demage the team. This is a question of ACCOUNTABILITY!!! and STARTING from scratch one step at the time, although it would be idea to have a replacement right away but this are not the stuation we are in at the momment...

that said despite our up roar... and even if Every single fan comes with a jersey No MOre MO to the stadium for every single home game this season. It is not going to happen.... Mo signed a huge contract. which more than likely is a garanteed contract. and he will do anything to keep his job until novemeber to see whether we make the playoffs... because that would be his buy in for an other year, regardless of what we think or how we feel..

Bloor West FC
04-19-2010, 05:38 PM
Goodbye Mo Goodbye Preki I have no reason to believe in these two knobs!

MUFC_Niagara
04-19-2010, 06:11 PM

Roogsy, I see your facepalm and raise you.....

uEOLQQgz7P8&feature=related

Shakes McQueen
04-19-2010, 06:12 PM
The sooner we start the overhaul the better. Simple as that in my eyes. Whatever happens with this seasons happens. I give it 10 games. Then if it is the same old same old, they have to fire him.

I'll second this. He needs to be canned mid-season, unless this team has a dramatic turnaround. It'll give the new guy more time to assess the players we already have, and it will ensure that Mo doesn't have another off-season to further screw up our cap space.

From a public/fan relations standpoint, it's also important to give the paying customers a reason for optimism, if this season continues along it's current trajectory.

Even if this team miraculously were to make the playoffs, unless it's a deep run, he needs to be fired.

I'm of the opinion that he needed to be fired after last season, but that didn't happen. If it doesn't happen this season, I will be livid.

- Scott

Hustle
04-19-2010, 06:48 PM
I miss the streamers. In that vein, I think that our current shoddy play would be alot easier on the eyes if my view of our shoddy play was partially obstructed by showers of of pink slips until Mo is gone.

gtaguy
04-19-2010, 06:51 PM

This is way premature!

What type of dope are you smokin . This club should already have surpassed last years numbers.Or did you fall into the coolaid Mo is serving. Without the idea of a key striker. a decent CB were playing like were high school students. Face reality we are quickly becoming the shit bulls of this season..:facepalm:

nfitz
04-19-2010, 10:09 PM
You must be from MLSE - you applaud mediocrity!Why when someone disagrees with you, would you think they must be from MLSE? What's with all the groupthink, have you all lost your ability to form your own opinion?

And surely mediocrity is the best we can ever achieve ... this IS MLS after all ... it's not like it's going to be on par with the better European leagues for many year.

What type of dope are you smokin . This club should already have surpassed last years numbers.Or did you fall into the coolaid Mo is serving.And speaking of dope smoking!

THA BUTCHA
04-19-2010, 10:39 PM
hey..

Always remember that TFC PAY PEOPLE to monitor and post on Fan forums and do their best to influence the publics opinion.

Irrefutable example Number 1..

MLSinToronto aka Paul Bernie aka the President of the club

any way..

Carry on

Luanda
04-20-2010, 06:02 AM

then by your logic... we should never to try to change anything. And keep Mo for ever in fear that someone will come in and dismantle everything we already have... Let the dismatteling begin... we have a shit squad either way. If dismatling this shit team is what it takes to build a winner team. He;s got my support...

Please re-read the last sentence and then think!

Troll
04-20-2010, 06:32 AM
I think Mo is doing a fine job and should be given more time. Perhaps even re-up his contract and double his pay.

drewski
04-20-2010, 08:11 AM
Roogsy, I see your facepalm and raise you.....

uEOLQQgz7P8&feature=related

I see that and raise you a

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3131/2313356652_f2b27826c4.jpg

AND a
http://www.toplessrobot.com/picard_finger.jpg

Daveisonfire
04-20-2010, 09:21 AM
We are seeing classic "end of regime" stuff here:

-create a diversion, throw bones to the masses - the "Wall of Honour"

-stamp out all dissent - order security to seize offending signs

-propaganda machine - send emissaries out to question the character of a disgruntled former player

-delaying tactics - pleading for time

The fat lady is warming up her vocal cords backstage as we speak.

"Let them eat poutine"