PDA

View Full Version : Ali Gerba interview - spills the beans on Mo & Preki

Pages : [1] 2

jabbronies
04-19-2010, 10:30 AM
Not sure if it's been posted, but Ali opens up big time!
http://blogs.thescore.com/footyblog/

Shaughno
04-19-2010, 10:31 AM
I want text updates LOL it's posted in the news thread but it's video and I can't watch it LOL

mastermixer
04-19-2010, 10:35 AM
Yeah I heard he trash talks preki major, but I can't watch at work!!

jabbronies
04-19-2010, 10:38 AM
Basically he loves the club. Has nothing against anyone in the club.

Seems to have beef with Mo and Preki.

Preki is a hard ass and it's known around the league for the way he treats players who makes mistakes. has doubt in his ability as a coach. No tactics have been implemented after 3 months of preseason.

Players in the dressing room do not like going to training.

Mo is a liar. Told him that he had faith in Ali, then turns around and shows him the door.

Phil
04-19-2010, 10:40 AM
One question....If Preki comes in and says he doesnt want him (Gerba) does that make Mo the liar or Preki the bad guy?

Ladies Love Julius James
04-19-2010, 10:40 AM
I'll break it down for you if you cunts support my blog: www.juliusjames.blogspot.com (http://www.juliusjames.blogspot.com)

- They sent me home at 5am from Charleston
- 9months ago I heard about TFC and some drama but I didn't know how nasty it could go, all politics.
- Training camp took a toll on Jim Brennan so in a way I'm not suprised at his decision
- The players hate to goto training
- We played 12 games, scored 3 goals and did no real trainings for tactics
- The politics have nothing to do with MLSE but instead off and on the field, individuals and the way they treat players.
- I told Mo I was injured and they felt I should have been performing better despite being indured.
- Mo threw me on waivers despite being aware of my injury and he felt I wasn't giving it my wall
- With Preki and Mo running your team you always have to watch your back. The players aren't comfortable, one bad game and you could be gone on this team

- There's no good impression of TFC from former players or the MLS
- Preki don't have a good reputation around the league
- They lack professionalism, not MLSE but individuals (mo and preki)
- "I don't know if I was a rapist or bad influence in the dressing room"

HAHAHAAH

- Mo Makes bad decisions
- Vancouver and MTL both have a better chance of making MLS playoffs than TFC
- It wasn't the players, they do well it's MO

Who lasts longer? Preki or Mo?
- Good question, when people see the truth, I put my money on both leaving at the same time.

- The fans are great, you can't envy European football in Toronto because they have the same enthusiam and passion.

- The club, the front office has been good to me, I have the most respect for them
- Total lack of respect from Preki and Mo
- I don't know what I did wrong especially to be treated like that
- I worked the hardest in pre-season and you could ask players

- Anytime Toronto want me, I'll be there.
- I'm hoping it will be soon and possible I'll be back here
- I think I'll be back here soon
- Happy to be back home in Toronto/MTL
- If I can't play on those teams I will go back to Europe and move on with my life
- I'm in great shape and I can't make quick decisions. I have to think about it and make a decision that leaves me secure
- I have a special relationship with Stephen Hart and the players and I love the tea.
- Hart called me and was in shock that I was cut, he said I was in the best shape he had seen and wanted to no what happened, he was completely shocked
- CSA is worried about what's going on TFC

fetajr
04-19-2010, 10:43 AM
lol...."they treat me like, i don't know, like i'm a rapist or if i have a bad influence in the dressing room."

koryo
04-19-2010, 10:45 AM
I want text updates LOL it's posted in the news thread but it's video and I can't watch it LOL

Same. I would greatly appreciate it if someone posts key points here.

Thanks!

tfc2007
04-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Yeah he really does, he also is talking about how most of the players, "80%" are not happy, and jimmy was one of those guys.

Nuvinho
04-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Who is next to come out and talk about the bad situation at TFC. We know Jimmy and Danny can't, else they would get canned. Robbo? Speak your mind please.

fetajr
"they treat me like, i don't know, like i'm a rapist or if i have a bad influence in the dressing room."

tabloid media will spin this as "Rapist Ali.G left TFC due to bad influence in the dressing room "

jabbronies
hey Julius...I merged all of your posts into 1.

Darlofletch
04-19-2010, 10:48 AM
thanks for the update, that's a pretty depressing situation, let's hope it's just a disgruntled employee exagerrating things. if not, yikes.

Ladies Love Julius James
04-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks Jabbronnies LOL I had to jot everything seperately so i don't forget.

arbogast
Yeah he really does, he also is talking about how most of the players, "80%" are not happy, and jimmy was one of those guys.

Well, I gues we know Kristian Jack's source for the Jimmy bust up rumor (that Jimmy lambasted at his presser), after all KJ did say that he heard from a "former teammate" that Jimmy was pissed. So if this is true, is Jimmy a liar like Mo? I gues they make a great couple.

Keyman
HAHAHAHAHA HOLY SHIT
this is a hilarious interview hahahahaha

Shaughno
04-19-2010, 10:52 AM
LOL CSA is worried about TFC? Worry about your fucking National team and your own goddamn organization first! LOL

Keyman
04-19-2010, 10:53 AM
"Football is the biggest lie"

Oldtimer
04-19-2010, 10:54 AM
Robbo was to gentlemanly to share the truth. DD and Jimmy B. have positions with the club. Many thanks for Ali G. & KJ for exposing the truth.

If we had any doubts, both Mo and Preki stand in the way of any future success for this club.

Suds
04-19-2010, 10:56 AM
when KJ asks about players being happy and his thoughts of Preki a Gerba answers "just look at the players when they show up for practice" ... that does not sound good at all

Gerba clearly has issues with both Preki and Mo.

tfc2007
I think Ali Gerba is one of the most honest footballers. I really dont think he said any of this out of spite, more just fact.

ginkster88
LOL CSA is worried about TFC? Worry about your fucking National team and your own goddamn organization first! LOL

TFC has cornered the market on National Team and possible future NT players so I'm not surprised they're keeping a close eye on the organization. It's in their best interests to worry about their morale, development and safety.

FluSH
04-19-2010, 10:57 AM
Wow!

Drama

rocker
04-19-2010, 10:58 AM
finally a player says what's happening. Gerba has balls. Robinson never had the balls to say exactly what's happening.

Interesting that Gerba says MLSE and the office people are great. But he focuses on Mo and Preki only.

Ladies Love Julius James
I think Ali Gerba is one of the most honest footballers. I really dont think he said any of this out of spite, more just fact.

I agree my impression was that it was all the truth. He seemed like he loves MLSE but hates Preki and Mo. Ready to move on

Nuvinho
how can he come back to play for TFC, MoJo will be here til he dies...so no way he comes back.

Shaughno
04-19-2010, 10:59 AM
TFC has cornered the market on National Team and possible future NT players so I'm not surprised they're keeping a close eye on the organization. It's in their best interests to worry about their morale, development and safety.

While I agree, they have many, MANY more pressing issues within their own organization that they should be focusing on IMO. Until they get their shit in order, it doesn't matter what or how the NT players are feeling/doing.

Nuvinho
finally a player says what's happening. Gerba has balls. Robinson never had the balls to say exactly what's happening.

Robbo has some backhanded comments on twitter all the time.

Oldtimer
"I think they need to change the people who make the decisions both on and off the field." - Ali Gerba

This will now be my signature.

Parkdale
04-19-2010, 11:00 AM

robinson probably has a lot more to say, and it could do more damage to his career.
Robinson is still playing in the MLS, gerba is not.

rocker
04-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Robbo has some backhanded comments on twitter all the time.

but that's not having balls. Gerba comes out and says exactly what he thinks. Robbo just hides.

rocker
04-19-2010, 11:02 AM
robinson probably has a lot more to say, and it could do more damage to his career.

His career is almost over. Why would speaking out against Mo hurt his career?

Gerba could be worse off -- coming out against an MLS team could blackball him for playing in MLS again.

MG42
04-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Free Gerba!

Free Ali!

Parkdale
04-19-2010, 11:04 AM

he is still playing in the MLS, and revealing 'secrets' form inside a club could label him as a rat and a cry baby, which is not something you want hanging over you. If he did a tell all expose, then it would get back to his current manager/coach/team mates who would have to judge him on it. Sure many would understand (sutton, boyens) but some would not.

Oldtimer
04-19-2010, 11:06 AM
He took some risk. Kudos to him for being honest.

boban
04-19-2010, 11:06 AM
You missed the point of the comment completely. yes the CSA could and should run their shop better. But it just goes to show you how truly fucked this is even if the grand mama of all fucked up organizations feel TFC is worrisome. Also, if I do recall, the CSA was looking for input from MLSE in many aspects and more club involvement at the national level. Maybe this gets them to rethink that.

Roogsy
04-19-2010, 11:08 AM

Ali tells you how it is, plain and simple. He never minces words he's just honest.

The truth is I was really upset when they let him go. I think he had something to contribute if he had been given the chance.

MG42
he is still playing in the MLS, and revealing 'secrets' form inside a club could label him as a rat and a cry baby, which is not something you want hanging over you. If he did a tell all expose, then it would get back to his current manager/coach/team mates who would have to judge him on it. Sure many would understand (sutton, boyens) but some would not.

I would agree if he was speaking of a "normal" MLS club...everyone knows how screwed up this team is, and generally speaking everyone knows the rep that MoJo carries. Our team is in shambles right now.

Nuvinho
Don't know if MLSE would do anything about this, they may think its just a disgruntled employee. But I am sure MLS is taking note and also other players in the MLS. If more ex-players come out with stuff like this, who would really want to come play here?

ilikemusic
Mo Johnston is the problem?

Stop the fucking presses!

trane
04-19-2010, 11:09 AM
I am concenred if there has been no discussion of tactics what exactly is Preki doing?

I have always thought that Montreal and Vancouver are better then us as teams, tacticaly, we are more tallented, but they are way better organized, that is why we do so poorely, against them. I never undestood why there is not talk about bringing in a USL coaching staff in here.

Roogsy
04-19-2010, 11:09 AM

Gerba could be worse off -- coming out against an MLS team could blackball him for playing in MLS again.

I think it's an acceptable risk. Ali will simply go back to Europe. I don't think he wanted to play for anyone else in MLS other than Toronto (or Montreal).

Phil
04-19-2010, 11:11 AM
Mo Johnston is part of the problem?

Stop the fucking presses!

Fixed your post.

trane
I am suprised that Montreal has not signed him, I expected him to be playing against us on May 12.

Damien
I hope most regional and national media get a hold of this for more exposure of MoJo's stupidity.

Fire Mo!!

Parkdale
04-19-2010, 11:13 AM
I have always thought that Montreal and Vancouver are better then us as teams, tacticaly, we are more tallented, but they are way better organized, that is why we do so poorely, against them.

and if there's any doubt about that, just look at how well Montreal did in Concacaf in 2008.

nobodybeatsthewiz
04-19-2010, 11:13 AM
- the fans deserve butter

koryo
04-19-2010, 11:15 AM
Oh shit. The rot in this organization can't get much deeper, can it?

Parkdale
04-19-2010, 11:15 AM
"It is what it is" - Ali Gerba speaking directly to Kevvv

mastermixer
04-19-2010, 11:16 AM

Interesting that Gerba says MLSE and the office people are great. But he focuses on Mo and Preki only.

Prob cuz he thinks he might get a job back with TFC if Mo and Prekster ever get the boot.

rocker
04-19-2010, 11:18 AM
Prob cuz he thinks he might get a job back with TFC if Mo and Prekster ever get the boot.

I don't think he's lying tho just in case he can get a job back someday.
I've heard the office people at TFC are great. Even Marvell and Mo Edu have come back to "say hello" to the office people like Paul Beirne.

tfcleeds
04-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Robbo has said he would reveal more at a later date about how exactly he was treated. He's got his own reasons for not saying stuff sooner I guess.

Roogsy
04-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Yep...the front office people outside of Mo's department have very good relations with the players. All of them are big supporters of the club and work their tails off for the players.

All of that effort is undone by Mo's tactics and Preki's obstinance. Everyone else can be the greatest co-workers on the planet, but when the guy who manages you every day and the guy who determines your contract status are less than trustworthy...it can't be overcome.

Players are simply not happy here and it is translating on to the pitch. That falls squarely on Mo and Preki.

alexintoronto
04-19-2010, 11:21 AM
I'll break it down for you if you cunts support my blog: www.juliusjames.blogspot.com (http://www.juliusjames.blogspot.com)

- CSA is worried about what's going on TFC

You know you're mismanaged when...

Thanks for the recap LLJJ - can't wait to watch it.

Oldtimer
04-19-2010, 11:23 AM
Yep...the front office people outside of Mo's department have very good relations with the players. All of them are big supporters of the club and work their tails off for the players.

All of that effort is undone by Mo's tactics and Preki's obstinance. Everyone else can be the greatest co-workers on the planet, but when the guy who manages you every day and the guy who determines your contract status are less than trustworthy...it can't be overcome.

Players are simply not happy here and it is translating on to the pitch. That falls squarely on Mo and Preki.

QFT. :(

Beach_Red
04-19-2010, 11:23 AM
I would agree if he was speaking of a "normal" MLS club...everyone knows how screwed up this team is, and generally speaking everyone knows the rep that MoJo carries. Our team is in shambles right now.

Many MLS clubs have gone through periods of being screwed up - that may be "normal" for MLS. Or maybe it was and the league is getting better. TFC seems to be going in the wrong direction.

While it's good to hear a guy who was inside speaking out, it would entirely undermine the ownership if they made a change in GM or coach now - it would be admitting years of mistakes and accepting the word of a guy who was fired. Of course the guy who wasn't wanted on the field is going to say the people who made that decision can't make correct decisions - he may very well be right but how can anyone act on that now?

What effect is it going to have if the team keeps getting ex-players like Brennan and Dichio into the front office? Will they be able to change the attitude of the organization, or will they be co-opted into it? You can't blame them for not saying anything and for supporting the management - they need the jobs - but it will have a long-term effect.

mmmikey
04-19-2010, 11:24 AM
this interview just supports everything ppl have been complaining about mo/preki.

i found it scary that preki wasn't working on tactics.. i mean.. u can see it on the field, but i was at least hoping it was the players failing to execute it.

Steve
04-19-2010, 11:24 AM
I hate to say it, but I'm not surprised by any of that. TFC is currently playing as if they have no plan (which is what Ali said, no tactics were drilled at all) and as if they are not enjoying their time here. They play with their heads down, as if they can't wait to just get the game over with. I think it all leads back to a lack of respect for Preki and Mo. Preki probably came in with a "now here is how it's gonna be" attitude, and when some players questioned him, he made examples out of them. The problem is, now the remaining players are feel like they have nothing to play for. They're going through the motions, but don't seem to be alive out there.

I would also bet that Brennan originally thought Preki would lighten up a little after preseason, but after he was the same person, Brennan decided he wasn't enjoying playing anymore on this team, and chose to move upstairs.

nascarguy
04-19-2010, 11:26 AM
Mo needs to go now not at the end of the season. Mlse is the king of mismanaged team's

Roogsy
04-19-2010, 11:27 AM
this interview just supports everything ppl have been complaining about mo/preki.

i found it scary that preki wasn't working on tactics.. i mean.. u can see it on the field, but i was at least hoping it was the players failing to execute it.

This reminds of year 1.

Hey...we have a team! Wait a sec...does Mo know anything about tactics? Because the players look like they have no idea what they are doing out there.

What we have here is Mo part deux.

nascarguy
04-19-2010, 11:27 AM
garba was a good player better mo get his hands on him

koryo
04-19-2010, 11:29 AM
So put yourself in the position of, say, Anselmi: what do you do now?

Steve
04-19-2010, 11:31 AM

Start a hunt quietly for a new GM/Coach (can be the same person or not). Don't let MoJo sign anyone else to guaranteed contracts, ride out the year hoping something good will happen while expecting us to be bottom of the league. Immediately sign new GM/Coach after the last game of the season is played and start from scratch (mark 3?4?5?)

Oldtimer

Fire Mo late in the season when the team tanks and misses the playoffs yet again.

Good points, Steve about quietly looking.

nascarguy
FIRE MO TODAY

arbogast
I am concenred if there has been no discussion of tactics what exactly is Preki doing?

I have always thought that Montreal and Vancouver are better then us as teams, tacticaly, we are more tallented, but they are way better organized, that is why we do so poorely, against them. I never undestood why there is not talk about bringing in a USL coaching staff in here.

Well JDG said in a Star article last week that there was a serious lack of tactical discussion beyond watching videos. I chocked it up to him coming from Europe and maybe having higher expaectations, but now Gerba corroborates the same statement. Not surprised. sadly.

trane
This reminds of year 1.

Hey...we have a team! Wait a sec...does Mo know anything about tactics? Because the players look like they have no idea what they are doing out there.

What we have here is Mo part deux.

This is the puzzling part of this. I thought the entire reson that Preki was brought in, was that Mo finaly recognized, three year late, but better late then never, that we needed to work on our tactical play. This cannot be true? Can it? What the fuck have they been doing in camp. Running? What the fuck is that?

Suds

well .. seeing Anselmi isn't going anywhere soon, hire some with ultimate control over football operations who will hire a new GM, build a scouting staff, etc., etc

... then make sure to keep your own ass out of everything related to the team

mastermixer
04-19-2010, 11:32 AM
What sucks about all this crap is that we have two of the most talented Canadian players of all time on the same team who aren't getting any younger and by the time this shit storm is settled they will be announcing there retirment.

trane
04-19-2010, 11:32 AM
Well JDG said in a Star article last week that there was a serious lack of tactical discussion beyond watching videos. I chocked it up to him coming from Europe and maybe having higher expaectations, but now Gerba corroborates the same statement. Not surprised. sadly.

All in all I am not suprised, it has looked liek that all along, but as I said above I thought Preki was brought in to address that. You cannot say we will play defensive football, and then not show the team how you will do that.

TFC07
04-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Thank you Ali G for speaking out! :flare:

Fire Mo now and let Perki finish the season, then fire him afterwards.

nascarguy
04-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Fire Mo late in the season when the team tanks and misses the playoffs yet again.

THATS TOO LATE

koryo
04-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Everything I said about Preki needing time to build his side I take back and apologize for, unreservedly.

mmmikey
04-19-2010, 11:35 AM
What sucks about all this crap is that we have two of the most talented Canadian players of all time on the same team who aren't getting any younger and by the time this shit storm is settled they will be announcing there retirment.

u forgot to mention: AND we will be competing with MTL and VAN for canadian talent, both of which have a much better reputation.

i've always wondered why players aren't dying to come to a city like toronto, cosmopolitan and great fan support, now no more turf!!... but we treat players like shit. wonderful.

nfitz
The bottom line as far as I can see here is that Gerba didn't want to work as hard as they wanted him to.

Much else seems to be simply the disgruntled whining of a former employee. I'm sure players moan to each other about how hard they are training. I'd be concerned if they didn't!

Clearly he had an attitude problem, and was a cancer in the locker room. This is the story we've heard about him at other clubs.

I'm not saying everything is perfect ... but I just don't see much in this ... other than Gerba ensuring he never plays professionally again. Wow, talk about burning bridges!

FluSH

Robinson is still employed by MLS... he would be fine BIG TIME if he cameout.

Ricketts could have talked...

Don Julio
04-19-2010, 11:36 AM
The only surprise is that he wants to play for TFC again.

The scariest bit is that the reputation has spread enough that no players will want to come here. I'm sure this interview didn't help, either.

FluSH
THATS TOO LATE

King Dave is that you>?

Chevy
This is the puzzling part of this. I thought the entire reson that Preki was brought in, was that Mo finaly recognized, three year late, but better late then never, that we needed to work on our tactical play. This cannot be true? Can it? What the fuck have they been doing in camp. Running? What the fuck is that?

I think in all fairness Preki needs a little more time before we bash his tactics. This current group of players have been together, what, three weeks?

You can't install a tactical philosophy when you have a half-complete roster. That's on Mo, not Preki.

Beach_Red
04-19-2010, 11:37 AM

A very tough place, you'd think. A coach and GM with multi-year contracts - the GM after a series of shorter-term contracts to gt to know him, so you can't very well say, "I didn't have enough information." And you can't claim that you hndicapped them in any way, the ocntracts are a sign they have your full support.

But it does look like there's something else going on. Guys are being rewarded for something, but we can't see what that is. What do they see that we don't?

Anselmi was quoted after last season saying that they looked at a whole bunch of things to decide how well the job was being done - lots of things beyond just performance on the field. They were starting a whole new business from scratch.

Still, it sounds like typical corporate-speak where they have ten things to determine "success," apply a value to each one and add them up. And "profits" probably count for eight of the ten things.

But to us, there's only one thing that matters.

trane
04-19-2010, 11:39 AM
^ Yeah, but if they are not working on tactics, like Gerba claims, how is he going to install a tacticall philoshophy, week 10? When we have, if we are luck 15 out of 30 possible points. Preki is partly resposible for the revolving door roster.

Beach_Red
04-19-2010, 11:39 AM

Hey, if they had to hire a search committee to fnd a GM for their hockey team, what are the chances they could quietly look for a soccer guy?

But it does seem likely that there won't be any more contracts signed this year.

trane
04-19-2010, 11:40 AM
The bottom line as far as I can see here is that Gerba didn't want to work as hard as they wanted him to.

Much else seems to be simply the disgruntled whining of a former employee. I'm sure players moan to each other about how hard they are training. I'd be concerned if they didn't!

Clearly he had an attitude problem, and was a cancer in the locker room. This is the story we've heard about him at other clubs.

I'm not saying everything is perfect ... but I just don't see much in this ... other than Gerba ensuring he never plays professionally again. Wow, talk about burning bridges!

Gerba can score goals, he will play again, the question is when.

nascarguy
04-19-2010, 11:40 AM
King Dave is that you>?
nope it his youger better looking twin ........lol

gtaguy
04-19-2010, 11:43 AM

Theres two ways to play this.. what he should do and what he actually does.

What he should do is start looking for a replacement coach and GM ASAP .. I don't give a shit both have to go. Preki in my mind is not the type of coach players enjoy unless they have played for him before or understand his mentality and system. Cleaning house has not helped him win any friends eighter. His media relationship is the shits aswell.

But what Anselmi will really do I think is this..

He will Talk to the media and say to lay off his two guys. Defend the both of them tooth and nail.
Will probably allow another year of failure endure before he pulls the whole plug on Mo and Preki.

arbogast
04-19-2010, 11:44 AM
I think in all fairness Preki needs a little more time before we bash his tactics. This current group of players have been together, what, three weeks?

You can't install a tactical philosophy when you have a half-complete roster. That's on Mo, not Preki.

What tactics??? Both Gerba and JDG have stated the club doesn't work on tactics.

DangerRed
04-19-2010, 11:46 AM
^ Yeah, but if they are not working on tactics, like Gerba claims, how is he going to install a tacticall philoshophy, week 10? When we have, if we are luck 15 out of 30 possible points. Preki is partly resposible for the revolving door roster.

I think we're dreaming if we think we're going to get 15 points out of 10 games. For that to happen, someone would have to score goals and someone else would have to prevent our opponents from scoring. Neither of those two things is happening right now, except of course for DeRo.

trane
04-19-2010, 11:46 AM
^ I read this and I laughed, and laughed, for fuck sake, if there is club that needs to work on tactics, it is us, ans we do not FUCK. In the EPL, Serie A, Spain they work on tactics EVERY DAY, but us ??? NO thanks we will wing it.

trane
04-19-2010, 11:47 AM
I think we're dreaming if we think we're going to get 15 points out of 10 games. For that to happen, someone would have to score goals and someone else would have to prevent our opponents from scoring. Neither of those two things is happening right now, except of course for DeRo.

I agree, that is the best, best, best scenario at this point. 9 to 12 is what I am expecting.

Roogsy
04-19-2010, 11:49 AM
^ I read this and I laughed, and laughed, for fuck sake, if there is club that needs to work on tactics, it is us, ans we do not FUCK. In the EPL, Serie A, Spain they work on tactics EVERY DAY, but us ??? NO thanks we will wing it.

:facepalm:

You laughed.

I cried.

smeghead
04-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Wow and Mo still has a job? its the two blind mice leading the shitshow. this season is gonna hurt.

Beach_Red
04-19-2010, 11:52 AM

We don't really know that. We don't know if it's on either one of them.

They may sign the wrong players to contracts, but why would they choose not to sign any players in the off season? It could only work against them.

Now, if someone didn't want to sign contracts because there might have been a lock-out, that makes some sense...

trane
04-19-2010, 11:53 AM

You laughed.

I cried.

That is my next emotion.

TFC07
04-19-2010, 11:54 AM
Now the question is: what can we (fans) do about this? I don't think 'boycotting' games would work since fans will still go to games no matter what.

Whoop

I think that's the case.

Dirk Diggler
Wow ... great interview. Burst out in laughter in the middle of the library after the rapist comment lol.

But yes, nothing surprising really. As ilikemusic stated, we already knew Mo was a big part of the problem. Unfortunately Mo will try to pass this off as bullshit coming from a bitter former player but we all know that is not the case (even if it is, it should not take away from the validity of the statement).

Whoop
04-19-2010, 11:56 AM
I think it's an acceptable risk. Ali will simply go back to Europe. I don't think he wanted to play for anyone else in MLS other than Toronto (or Montreal).

Exactly.

Maybe Robbo wants to coach in MLS, as well. Maybe when Mo is gone he might want to be a coach with TFC?

Lucky Strike
04-19-2010, 11:56 AM
The scariest bit is that the reputation has spread enough that no players will want to come here. I'm sure this interview didn't help, either.

That's my biggest concern. Essentially to sum up, Mo is the worst thing that's ever happened to TFC.

Parkdale
04-19-2010, 11:59 AM
Essentially to sum up, Mo is the worst thing that's ever happened to TFC.

and seeing as there has never been a TFC without Mo, it's very hard to see the two as separate things.

Mango Kid
04-19-2010, 12:00 PM
75 players have worn the TFC jersey in three years and change. Incredible.

I almost feel left out.

SilverSamurai
04-19-2010, 12:00 PM
That's my biggest concern. Essentially to sum up, Mo is the worst thing that's ever happened to TFC.
My thoughts exactly.

I also was not impressed w/ Ali G being cut. I don't think he was ever really given much of a chance.
I wonder what Serioux would have to say about all this...

Whoop
04-19-2010, 12:01 PM
If Mo is to blame, who is to blame for bringing in Mo?

And I was willing to give Preki time (the team did need someone with a harder edge)... but that time is slowly diminishing. Especially if they are not working on tactics.

I had feeling this season was going to get a lot uglier before it got better.

CoachGT
04-19-2010, 12:05 PM
75 players have worn the TFC jersey in three years and change. Incredible.

I almost feel left out.

Give it a week or two, given the current situation. But only if you play defence first.

ua-kozak_TFC
I would take this interview with a grain of salt...

Did ali gebra show any promise during his time here... not raelly. And everybody knows this..he was an other MO johnston experiment of a `big name` player that can't catch a job in europe... and only wants to cash on MLS salary for once playing in europe... AHEM AHEM.. JDG and like every one else Mo has hired in the last 4 years...

I think if someone deserves patients and a little understanding in this time is Preki... (You can;t comment really on his coaching abilities... because with the squad as it is.) I don;t think Mourinho or Guardiola would have a shot at making this team string a few passes and make a shot on target... lets not even mention making the play offs. I think if anything we should give him some props for his BALLs to dismatle this joke of a team created by MO of "one time wonder" players, a strategy that let to no where for 3 consecutive years...

It all comes down MO, preseason after preseason, we got the same shit...no reinforcements despite humongous holes in many aspects of our team...And players only come in when shit hits the fan... or 24 hrs before the opening game...

:scarf:

I think Ali is just pissed with Preki bcs he didn;t see him in his plans... And he was just an other over payed and underperforming player that plugged our cap space last year...

Beach_Red
If Mo is to blame, who is to blame for bringing in Mo?

And I was willing to give Preki time (the team did need someone with a harder edge)... but that time is slowly diminishing. Especially if they are not working on tactics.

I had feeling this season was going to get a lot uglier before it got better.

It is the usual route for all their teams, isn't it.

ua-kozak_TFC
04-19-2010, 12:08 PM
ENOUGH SAID!!!
The sooner we can get rid of him the sooner we'll move forward...

TFC Cityboy
04-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Boys and Girls, we have our smoking gun.

Having said that, this story would have even greater credibility if Adrian or Robbo were to subtley say that Ali makes some good points.

I agree with Koryo ..I've been saying to give Preki a chance and see how this pans out in a month or so, but having seen every pre-season game that was streamed on the web and all the league matches, the comments about lack of tactics and the players hating training make sense.

Bottom line...if you think your boss is an asshole, your boss's boss is an even bigger asshole and you have no respect for either of them, how is that going to reflect on your performance?

Roogsy
04-19-2010, 12:10 PM
I think Ali is just pissed with Preki bcs he didn;t see him in his plans... And he was just an other over payed and underperforming player that plugged our cap space last year...

Of course Ali is pissed...but if that is the only evidence we use to come to a conclusion, then we are doing ourselves a disservice. Taking all the evidence available into account, his words ring very true.

Sometimes, even angry people can tell the truth you know. You don't discount what they say just because you know they got screwed.

Auzzy
04-19-2010, 12:13 PM
I would really like to know why Ali Gerba has bounced around so much between teams, just to give this interview some context. RE Mo, I don't think there's much to question: 75 players since '07 pretty much says all you need to know.

RE Gerba's view of Preki, I think more context about Gerba's history would be interesting. Also, one journalist recently wrote that Gerba looked horribly out of shape during the fitness testing at York University. (Not sure if it was one of MLSE's "journalists" or someone from the outside. I can't find the quote just now.)

Of course, "80% of the players aren't happy to be playing or practicing" is a huge indictment if it's true -- regardless of what issues Gerba himself might have. I just wonder a bit, is that 80% of players bitching about a tough pre-season, that might still work out positively in the long run? Or is it really a more permanent problem?

His comments would certainly explain some of what we've seen on the field in the last few games. I would still be surprised though if Preki is so much a part of a problem, seeing the relative success he had with Chivas, with a mostly mediocre cast of players.

Beach_Red
04-19-2010, 12:17 PM
ENOUGH SAID!!!
The sooner we can get rid of him the sooner we'll move forward...

Well, we'll move, but with the track record in this city there's no guarantee it'll be forward.

Still, different shit would be more interesting for a while.

Super
04-19-2010, 12:23 PM
"The fans deserve better than what they're getting right now" - Damn straight!

Blizzard
04-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Well, I gues we know Kristian Jack's source for the Jimmy bust up rumor (that Jimmy lambasted at his presser), after all KJ did say that he heard from a "former teammate" that Jimmy was pissed. So if this is true, is Jimmy a liar like Mo? I gues they make a great couple.

Ya but that's heresay. Go to the horses mouth, not a disgruntled former teammate. That said, I'd bet Robbo is the source.

Steve
04-19-2010, 12:26 PM
I would really like to know why Ali Gerba has bounced around so much between teams, just to give this interview some context. RE Mo, I don't think there's much to question: 75 players since '07 pretty much says all you need to know.

RE Gerba's view of Preki, I think more context about Gerba's history would be interesting. Also, one journalist recently wrote that Gerba looked horribly out of shape during the fitness testing at York University. (Not sure if it was one of MLSE's "journalists" or someone from the outside. I can't find the quote just now.)

Of course, "80% of the players aren't happy to be playing or practicing" is a huge indictment if it's true -- regardless of what issues Gerba himself might have. I just wonder a bit, is that 80% of players bitching about a tough pre-season, that might still work out positively in the long run? Or is it really a more permanent problem?

His comments would certainly explain some of what we've seen on the field in the last few games. I would still be surprised though if Preki is so much a part of a problem, seeing the relative success he had with Chivas, with a mostly mediocre cast of players.

Ok, just to play devil's advocate for a second, what, exactly, did Preki do at Chivas that gains him such praise? He took a team that had made the playoffs in 2006 under Bradley and got kicked out into the first round, and made them into... a team that made the playoffs and got kicked out after the first round. He made pretty much 0 headway there. Remember, he wasn't the coach that rescued them from their first year, worst MLS team ever, slump, that was Bradly. He just took what was already there.

Also, how much of the "mostly mediocre cast of players" was actually his fault? I mean, we talk all the time about how he got a cast of OK players to play well, but if you recall, he was the one that sent Guevara out of town for a song (and Guevara did pretty fucking well here after that). Maybe he is just a coach that doesn't like skilled players, so our dreams of him coming in and doing better since we had more skilled players than Chivas were always pipe dreams?

I mean, Preki had 3 years of experience coaching before us. That's it. What if his assistant coaches there, or the system laid down by Bradley, were actually responsible for them being "pretty good" for his 3 years?

Now, I have no proof for that assertion to be fair, I just want us think about it. Are we giving Preki the benefit of the doubt for the season because he's we should give any coach the benefit of the doubt that comes in (which is fair) or are we basing it on some history of his that may or may not be as impressive as we're making it out to be?

MUFC_Niagara
04-19-2010, 12:29 PM
What a fucking mess. Our club is in a world of hurt. Playoffs......LMAO....yaaaaaaaaaa, that'll happen.

"The fan deserve butter" - Ali Gerba (Rudi will be happy to hear that. lol)

Auzzy
04-19-2010, 12:36 PM
^ Steve, yeah, good points. I don't know much about the Chivas history. I did hear though that the Guadalajara-based management controlled things fairly tightly, and that they were at least partly to blame for the mediocre cast.

I also really want(ed) to give Preki the benefit of the doubt, and was hoping that problems were more due to Mo rather than Preki. More than anything, because I want the endless carousel to stop and for there finally to be a bit of stability. (I.e., ditch Mo, but keep Preki for now.) It's obviously hard to separate Mo & Preki, because we don't know exactly who has decided what. Of course, I'm getting more worried about Preki as well, after seeing results so far incl. pre-season, bizarre roster moves & timing, etc. This interview adds to the doubt -- but on the other hand, the main point of my post was, I also have a hard time giving Ali 100% benefit of the doubt either, considering his history.

mastermixer
04-19-2010, 12:42 PM

Mo is the only thing to happen to TFC so far. That's the sad part.

Luanda
04-19-2010, 12:44 PM
That MOJO should go after now 4 years, yes. That Preki should be relieved after 4 games...???? Enough of the revolving door with respect to both players and coaches.

Super
04-19-2010, 12:47 PM
This club is a fucking mess.

mastermixer
04-19-2010, 12:49 PM
My prediction for MoJo's comments in regards to this

Beat reporter: Mo.. do you have any response to Ali Gerba's comments recently regarding Preki and yourself?

Mo: Listen... he is just a player who was not performing up to our standards and is obviously going to speak out against us. All the players are happy and Preki is doing a good job with this squad.

Oh, by the way, We are looking at a couple of guys...

Beat Reporter: But I didn't ask you about that....

Mo: We're always looking

Beat Reporter: Ok... thanks for the in depth interview. :facepalm:

ua-kozak_TFC
04-19-2010, 12:50 PM
SAy what will about preki but one thing i like about him... is that he is sencere... There is no excuses... As i said i would like to see how any other manager would have faired in his position... And the players brought in i am not sure if they are his idea... he just says what he wants ( defenders) mo brings useless players that no body else wants... and he chooses the LEAST useless out of the bunch... Doesn;t that sound like a recepe for success?

adam1001
04-19-2010, 12:51 PM
i was also willing to give preki a chance, but obviously the players have major problems for him. If you dont get along with the coach, than you can forget about winning games. Send mo and preki home! Id rather have carver back than watch this sorry excuse of a team.

ua-kozak_TFC
04-19-2010, 12:52 PM
That MOJO should go after now 4 years, yes. That Preki should be relieved after 4 games...???? Enough of the revolving door with respect to both players and coaches. +1 I think i would give him some times... I have no more patient for MO though it ran out a few years back... when he went to brasil for a scouting trip and signed Herpes for life...

Steve
04-19-2010, 12:52 PM
SAy what will about preki but one thing i like about him... is that he is sencere... There is no excuses... As i said i would like to see how any other manager would have faired in his position... And the players brought in i am not sure if they are his idea... he just says what he wants ( defenders) mo brings useless players that no body else wants... and he chooses the LEAST useless out of the bunch... Doesn;t that sound like a recepe for success?

I don't think that's necessarily the case though. I mean, when Carver was here, we brought in a COMPLETELY different type of player (players like Ricketts, who Carver had history with). Now we seem to be bringing in eastern European players as our "role players", when we never have before. I mean, again, I have no proof of anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if Preki is saying a lot more than "I want defenders".

KezmanCCCC
04-19-2010, 12:53 PM
good on ali to spill the beans.... i hope robinson will do the same as well as serioux (which he already kind of did).... just so the truth can be uncovered... preki and mo are both to be blamed equally for the shit on and off the feild.... i wish ali was still with our squad...

bgnewf
04-19-2010, 12:54 PM
here is my take on this:

http://www.tfcpics.com (http://www.tfcpics.com/)

We can either choose to believe him or not believe him. I do not think that you can forget that Ali Gerba has played for ten teams in 11 years and that in and of itself must speak to the quality of his character to some degree. That may indeed colour some of what he says here.

People on the Pro "Mo" and "Mo Must Go" sides all tend to latch onto bits of information out of context in order to bolster their arguments that they are correct. And the Mo haters all have a lot here to pick over. No matter the truth I think we will definitely see a lot of that "taking stuff out of context" in the coming days.

Now I hope that the media pick up on this interview and pin Preki and Mo down to responses to what Ali has to say.

And if only Kristian could hold of John Carver.

adam1001
04-19-2010, 01:05 PM
here is my take on this:

http://www.tfcpics.com (http://www.tfcpics.com/)

We can either choose to believe him or not believe him. I do not think that you can forget that Ali Gerba has played for ten teams in 11 years and that in and of itself must speak to the quality of his character to some degree. That may indeed colour some of what he says here.

People on the Pro "Mo" and "Mo Must Go" sides all tend to latch onto bits of information out of context in order to bolster their arguments that they are correct. And the Mo haters all have a lot here to pick over. No matter the truth I think we will definitely see a lot of that "taking stuff out of context" in the coming days.

Now I hope that the media pick up on this interview and pin Preki and Mo down to responses to what Ali has to say.

And if only Kristian could hold of John Carver.

With more than half of our team getting mysteriously cut, theres obviously something going on. I for one, can see why the players might not get along with preki, and especially mo. Preki has shown no passion whatsoever, and he does not seem to respect the players. If the coach doesnt respect players, they wont respect him. This is only my opinion though.

Auzzy
04-19-2010, 01:11 PM
I hope someone has grabbed a full copy of this interview. I just wonder if it's going to disappear soon, after Ali's lawyer has been reminded about some legal obligations....

Pigfynn
04-19-2010, 01:12 PM
This club is such a fucking shit show!

Stop embarrassing your supporters and fix it now!

When have any of you ever heard of another MLS team's players leaving (as they do here every few weeks) and turning around to say "it's sooo fucked up over there" like they do here? Never...

This is a pathetic mess and in a year where we are hosting the final. Anselmi must be privately freaking out and wondering why Mo can't even keep his players' from ripping this club a new one when they leave.

So sad.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-19-2010, 01:15 PM
although i havent finished the article we must remember he is a player thats bounced from club to club, so even tho we may agree wtih him on certain levels (Mo must go), he is still has a shit track record, pls keep this in mind...

Fushida
04-19-2010, 01:15 PM
Mad props to Kristian Jack for this interview. FFS I can't believe no reporters in this town has had the balls to just ask these legitimate questions and push the envelope on this Mo ordeal. Everyone has known for 2-3 years that there's something horribly wrong in this organization, and FINALLY someone does this. Honestly, who's even surprised with what Ali G has said?

I'm hoping other news outlets start picking up on this and will signal the beginning of the end for Mo.

Shaughno
04-19-2010, 01:16 PM
although i havent finished the article we must remember he is a player thats bounced from club to club, so even tho we may agree wtih him on certain levels (Mo must go), he is still has a shit track record, pls keep this in mind...

The scary thing is... despite that, we know all too well how accurate many of those statements are...

SmokedPanda
04-19-2010, 01:17 PM
I almost threw up after hearing Gerba say Montreal and Vancouver are better because it's the truth. Those 2 clubs are more stable and consistent than TFC. 75 players in 3 years? 3 goals in 12 matches? HEART BREAKING!!!!!

bgnewf
04-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Mad props to Kristian Jack for this interview. FFS I can't believe no reporters in this town has had the balls to just ask these legitimate questions and push the envelope on this Mo ordeal. Everyone has known for 2-3 years that there's something horribly wrong in this organization, and FINALLY someone does this. Honestly, who's even surprised with what Ali G has said?

I'm hoping other news outlets start picking up on this and will signal the beginning of the end for Mo.

And if you heard the Brennan retirement press conference you will hear both Brennan and Mo throwing KJ under the bus for reporting that they do not agree with.

You are so right about the other media outlets. Tougher questions need to be asked.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-19-2010, 01:22 PM
The scary thing is... despite that, we know all too well how accurate many of those statements are...

yeah its unfortunate. also unfortunate we couldnt hear it from a more reputable player

JamboAl
04-19-2010, 01:22 PM
This club is such a fucking shit show!

Stop embarrassing your supporters and fix it now!

When have any of you ever heard of another MLS team's players leaving (as they do here every few weeks) and turning around to say "it's sooo fucked up over there" like they do here? Never...

This is a pathetic mess and in a year where we are hosting the final. Anselmi must be privately freaking out and wondering why Mo can't even keep his players' from ripping this club a new one when they leave.

So sad.

+1. I've been as neutral on this as possible but the more that comes out, the more I'm being swayed into the anti-Mo camp. In fact, I trust MLSE to get this right more than I trust Mo and that's saying a lot.

Will it take us not making the playoffs this season and then having Vancouver show us up next season to make the past 4 years look like a waste of time?

Roogsy
04-19-2010, 01:24 PM
yeah its unfortunate. also unfortunate we couldnt hear it from a more reputable player

Would it matter? Regardless of where it came from apologists will continue to be apologists and believers will continue to believe.

The key is to look at the evidence as a whole not in pieces.

canucker
04-19-2010, 01:30 PM
this is brutal. how is this club going to get fixed? i don't have much hope right now. it looks like we'll be suffering through a shite season.

do any of you guys think there's a chance mo could get canned before the end of the season? or will it take not making it into the playoffs to get fired?

TFCRegina
04-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Too much of a revolving door, partially a result of too much pandering to the supporter base. We need to let them have time to work. Sack Mo, and give Preki the reins. We need someone with an iron will, even if we hate his guts for a while.

I'm sick and tired of us pandering for players, TFC signing them and them not producing (Gerba and JDG are prime examples).

I'd love it if MLSE just stopped reading these boards.

None of us has the Coaching licenses needed to manage a team at this level, yet it often feels like we're calling the shots. It's embarrassing.

Oh and Mo shoulda been fired at the end of last season.

ua-kozak_TFC
04-19-2010, 01:32 PM
Would it matter? Regardless of where it came from apologists will continue to be apologists and believers will continue to believe.

The key is to look at the evidence as a whole not in pieces.
exactly... i mean this is just an other drop into the glass. That will definetly spill over the glass for many fans but the question is. WIll MLSE glass spill too??

jloome
04-19-2010, 01:35 PM

Nope. Discpline, not tactics. They're both euro players who likely -- as Carver actually stated -- believe that players at this level shouldn't need that much tactical guidance beyond a formation.

They underestimate the inability of North America-trained players to move and read off the ball.

trane
04-19-2010, 01:35 PM
To those that dobut , Gerba, and I understand why, there is reason too, BUT does it look like the players are happy? Does it look like we work on tactics enough? [ lets me go back to last weeks 4-3-3 that looked like a 4-5-1]

mastermixer
04-19-2010, 01:36 PM
Question is do the issues go higher than Mo and Prekie?
Raptors seem to be having very similar issues at the moment with player movement (9 new players this past year) lower than expected performances and coaching problems.

Shaughno
04-19-2010, 01:36 PM
jloome... they underestimate the inability of NA players to do ANYTHING off the ball.. fuck it's frustrating. Landon Donavon aside...

TFCRegina
04-19-2010, 01:37 PM
Question is do the issues go higher than Mo and Prekie?
Raptors seem to be having very similar issues at the moment with player movement (9 new players this past year) lower than expected performances and coaching problems.

I've pointed this out. Same with the Leafs...tear apart the team every year, zero chemistry, disappointed fans.

MLSE needs to stop reacting to us and do their bloody jobs. Run the team, don't let us run it.

ua-kozak_TFC
04-19-2010, 01:38 PM
Too much of a revolving door, partially a result of too much pandering to the supporter base. We need to let them have time to work. Sack Mo, and give Preki the reins. We need someone with an iron will, even if we hate his guts for a while.

I'm sick and tired of us pandering for players, TFC signing them and them not producing (Gerba and JDG are prime examples).

I'd love it if MLSE just stopped reading these boards.

None of us has the Coaching licenses needed to manage a team at this level, yet it often feels like we're calling the shots. It's embarrassing.

Oh and Mo shoulda been fired at the end of last season.
I totally agree.. except for the looking at the boards part... I hope that they see this overqhelming majority of fans who want a new direction to this team, that does not include Mo johston...
Mo is the only one who looks at the boards and tries to please us by signings whenever shit hits the fan... like JDG who never wanted to come here in the first place... he wanted to stay in europe and when NOBODY wanted him there he decided to sign... Honestly Him and Dero should switch salaries...

felipe
04-19-2010, 01:38 PM
First off - we're only in year four of the year five plan - Patience!

Secondly, I believe nothing until I hear the viewpoints from Braz or Velez

trane
04-19-2010, 01:40 PM
Nope. Discpline, not tactics. They're both euro players who likely -- as Carver actually stated -- believe that players at this level shouldn't need that much tactical guidance beyond a formation.

They underestimate the inability of North America-trained players to move and read off the ball.

As you state North Amrican-trained palyers need quidance, and every manger wants his own system and his own tactics, even a 4-4-2 can be played in so may different ways. Simple example, the role of the wingers, mostly defensive, a bit of both, attacking, attacking but mostly limited to crossing ect. ect. I am not sure in other countries, but AC Milan as veteran a club as it is , works on tactical issues on a daily basis. Kaka stated that in Italy this is moslty what they work on. [ in Spain he says they still do it, but focus more on skill development- I am sure that you would agree TFC can use both]

Look at Barca, a team that plays attacking football, but look at the spacing, the movement, always a passing lane, every player seems to play his role to perfection. You do not get that good as a team without working on understaindg and executing tactics. JDG said the same.

ua-kozak_TFC
04-19-2010, 01:41 PM
First off - we're only in year four of the year five plan - Patience!

Secondly, I believe nothing until I hear the viewpoints from Braz or Velez
lmao

Oldtimer
04-19-2010, 01:45 PM
As a amateur youth soccer coach, it's obvious to me that TFC is not playing tactical football. Some youth teams play better tactically than TFC.

The question is, is it the coach... or the players?

We have 2 players (one a former player) saying that there are no tactics. If that's true, both Preki and Mo who hired him need to go.

If it's just that Preki is a tactical genius, and the players are crap... well this is Preki's squad, and Mo signed the players. So if that's true, both Preki and Mo need to go.

Either way, we need to clean house.

Menelaos
04-19-2010, 01:45 PM
"They treat me like I was a rapist" come on...that was just retarded and I he lost all credibility with that statement...

AL-MO
04-19-2010, 01:48 PM
This interview didn't give me a good feeling....but nothing I didn't already know.

Pookie
04-19-2010, 01:49 PM
The one thing that troubles me about the comments in this thread is the lumping of "Mo and Preki" together.

Preki wants guys who work their asses off and face it, Gerba had a big ass to work off. It isn't surprising to me that he would take a parting shot at a guy who cut him based on fitness and attitude.

It's not like we had a team that was superior in fitness and never gave away late goals (and points) before Preki.

It's not like we had a team that played their hearts out (see 5-0 NY, 2009 or Nutralite Canadian Championship, 2008) every time they stepped out there, before Preki.

It's not like we had a well established system and style of attack (see TFC 2007, 2008, 2009) before Preki.

Preki has asked for the players to play for each other. I really don't care if they like the guy or not. Clearly, they didn't respond to any of the coaches we've had for over 3 seasons so maybe it is time for a reality check on that front.

I'm not ready to throw him under the bus. Gerba never excelled under Cummins either. He had a chance to establish himself and blew it. He's now looking for work.

I'm not going to dismiss everything he says but I'm also not going to use it verbatim as a blueprint on how to improve the team.

Now, as for Mo, clearly there is some merit to that criticism based on results achieved after 4 years. In Preki's case, it's been just 4 games.

Oldtimer
04-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Pookie, my question is, has Preki gotten the players to play with heart, or out of fear? If it's just fear of losing their jobs, then nothing good will come of his coaching.

rocker
04-19-2010, 01:56 PM
As a amateur youth soccer coach, it's obvious to me that TFC is not playing tactical football. Some youth teams play better tactically than TFC.

The question is, is it the coach... or the players?

We have 2 players (one a former player) saying that there are no tactics. If that's true, both Preki and Mo who hired him need to go.

If it's just that Preki is a tactical genius, and the players are crap... well this is Preki's squad, and Mo signed the players. So if that's true, both Preki and Mo need to go.

Either way, we need to clean house.

Preki was doing something right in LA for three seasons. If he had no tactics for three seasons, then that's amazing -- winning coach of the year, finishing near the top of the table, and making the playoffs every season? Preki has shown he can win in this league -- Mo has not. Preki didn't suddenly forget how to win.

I'm not going to take everything Gerba said at face value (many people on this very board said gerba was a fat, lazy useless lump), but I commend him for speaking his mind unlike so many former players who like to hint at things rather than telling us things.

SilverSamurai
04-19-2010, 01:58 PM
The one thing that troubles me about the comments in this thread is the lumping of "Mo and Preki" together.

Preki wants guys who work their asses off and face it, Gerba had a big ass to work off. It isn't surprising to me that he would take a parting shot at a guy who cut him based on fitness and attitude.

It's not like we had a team that was superior in fitness and never gave away late goals (and points) before Preki.

It's not like we had a team that played their hearts out (see 5-0 NY, 2009 or Nutralite Canadian Championship, 2008) every time they stepped out there, before Preki.

It's not like we had a well established system and style of attack (see TFC 2007, 2008, 2009) before Preki.

Preki has asked for the players to play for each other. I really don't care if they like the guy or not. Clearly, they didn't respond to any of the coaches we've had for over 3 seasons so maybe it is time for a reality check on that front.

I'm not ready to throw him under the bus. Gerba never excelled under Cummins either. He had a chance to establish himself and blew it. He's now looking for work.

I'm not going to dismiss everything he says but I'm also not going to use it verbatim as a blueprint on how to improve the team.

Now, as for Mo, clearly there is some merit to that criticism based on results achieved after 4 years. In Preki's case, it's been just 4 games.
A chance? He had, what 4 games tops?
I'd hardly call that a chance. 1 game was that loss against Columbus where the team had a meltdown. Can't blame him for that since he was subbed off anyways.

adam1001
04-19-2010, 02:00 PM

Sure, we werent great in 2007 and 2008, but last years team was a hell of a lot better than what ive seen so far this season. The other issue is that i see absolutely no potential for us getting any better. I didnt mind preki as our coach at first, but why the hell would you get rid of all our best players and start from scratch yet again?

Pigfynn
04-19-2010, 02:01 PM
(the lumping Preki and Mo thing)

^ I agree with this. I think Gerba doesn't like Preki more because Preki didn't like him. Lee Godfrey said that when he saw with his own eyes the shape Gerba was in at York fitness testing in pre season he thought "Gerba was going to have a heart attck on the treadmill"

There is outside evidence to suggest Gerba was NOT fit in preseason.

Mo must go, but I have time for Preki...for now

Roogsy
04-19-2010, 02:04 PM
Hmmm...I saw Gerba before he left for Charleston...seemed to be in good shape to me.

Dirk Diggler
04-19-2010, 02:05 PM
"They treat me like I was a rapist" come on...that was just retarded and I he lost all credibility with that statement...

That was the best line of the interview in my opinion.

Pigfynn
04-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Well, that seems to be a point of contention Roogs

Dirk Diggler
04-19-2010, 02:07 PM
Also, I agree in that I'm willing to give Preki time. Unless things continue to go south at the current rate, I think he deserves the entirety of this season. They can start truly evaluating whether or not to fire him at mid-season next year if we remain the worst team in the league.

Oldtimer
04-19-2010, 02:10 PM
It would be foolish to fire Preki now. Give him this season. The new GM can evaluate whether to keep him (likely based on this season's results).

I can't imagine he'll be staying.

jloome
04-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Pookie, my question is, has Preki gotten the players to play with heart, or out of fear? If it's just fear of losing their jobs, then nothing good will come of his coaching.

He's replaced players that allegedly have less heart with ones allegedly with more heart.

Problematically, the ones that left had more talent. We need a mix of both, nt sure if we have it yet.

Either way, what happened in the shitshow of a preseason to put us this far behind the eight-ball? Was Mo so hamstrung on salary room that he couldn't do a thing until the new cap was announced, because that sure is what the timing appears to be.

Trying to get players to play for a hard-assed coach who is essentially treating the team as a rebuild project four games into the season is not going to be easy.

Plus, it's clear he doesnt' know what he has yet, or what he wants yet. For two games in a row we've started with ludicrous tactical setups, then switched when chasing the game.

There are issues here beyond Mo.

Daveisonfire
04-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Everything I said about Preki needing time to build his side I take back and apologize for, unreservedly.

I don't know it's odd though that apparently "without tactics" Preki still made the playoffs with Chivas and had a 40-29-21 record there.

You can't do that without tactics...

sarsippius
04-19-2010, 02:54 PM

Agreed, completely.

I hold my hand up here and count myself as one of the many that over-reacts to stuff like this Gerba interview. I feel cooler heads need to prevail. There is most likely some truth in what Gerba is saying, but it's not all truth I am certain. Same goes for what Mo says, although based on his record I am not as willing to believe what comes from Mr. Johnston's mouth.

Preki has success (albeit limited - but at least the playoffs) over time with another club. Chivas didn't have the most spectacular line up, and did have to deal with player personality issues (Ref: Amado Guevara, although I am sure there were more), and he worked through those over a couple of years. He needs time - two seasons at least in my opinion - to try and get something going. We don't know what two seasons with the same coach are like in these parts. I think we need to find out.

I feel there are two things that can be done that might get this team moving in the right direction:

1) Fire Mo (I know: "D'uh."). He is the only consistent tying element between all 3 completed unsuccessful seasons. Despite what Gerba is saying, Mo's record is his own worst enemy, and stands alone as enough of an excuse to let him go.

2) I feel another member of the current team needs to step up and be a leader on field.

The issue about just as much of a problem to me. Last game: people in the wall who aren't supposed to be there, with one man missing in the last game alone? This leads to a goal. That doesn't seem right. Yes, it's one game, but this has to be a symptom of a greater issue. DeRo is a "lead by example" kind of guy, is doing his job and getting results. Who else is on the pitch executing direction and making sure everyone is performing with heart? It can't be DeRo alone. Jason DeVos pointed out the lack on on field leadership immediately after the Preki interview. Someone has to take control outside of DeRo, step up and take charge.

TFCRegina
04-19-2010, 02:55 PM
http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/all-is-not-right-in-toronto/8699

My take on the situation. I haven't seen the Gerba interview yet, I'll get around to it later today.

DichioTFC
04-19-2010, 03:03 PM
There are issues here beyond Mo.

As sad as it is, that might be very true.

From ownership down to Preki, every single person (Anselmi, Beirne, MoJo) has to admit their responsibility on this issue.

I was excited to see what Ali could have done in the MLS with a full preseason. Hell, if he couldn't score 10 games into the season then they have an argument for letting him go. But they didn't even give him a chance. Just like Preki didn't give Guevara a chance or Robbo a chance, hell, it looks like he drove Jimmy B into retirement.

It sure is getting harder and harder to support the team. I'll still be cheering on the 25th, I hope Preki uses this as inspiration to get a result... for his sake and for the club's sake. Otherwise....

mastermixer
04-19-2010, 03:06 PM
^ It doesn't help that this completely revamped roster is pretty shitty either.

Oldtimer
04-19-2010, 03:17 PM
http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/all-is-not-right-in-toronto/8699

My take on the situation. I haven't seen the Gerba interview yet, I'll get around to it later today.

Why are you writing an article when you haven't even heard the interview?

TFCRegina
04-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Why are you writing an article when you haven't even heard the interview?

It's not on Gerba, it's on the team in general.

Pookie
04-19-2010, 03:29 PM
Sure, we werent great in 2007 and 2008, but last years team was a hell of a lot better than what ive seen so far this season.

You make it sound like missing the playoffs was a minor thing in 2007 and 2008 (and 2009). "Sure, gosh golly we weren't that good then... but now in 2010 when it counts.... shit, we really suck now..."

If missing the playoffs was of minor consequence to you in 2007, 2008 and 2009 then what makes 2010 any different?

The other issue is that i see absolutely no potential for us getting any better. I didnt mind preki as our coach at first, but why the hell would you get rid of all our best players and start from scratch yet again?

Because "all of our best players" weren't good enough:

- to play sound football for a full 90 minutes
- to protect a lead
- to play with pride
- to come forward and be accountable for the NYRB game (except for Cronin and Edwards)
- to get us in the MLS playoffs just once in 3 years
- to finish 1st in a 3 team tournament that included 2 USL clubs (2008, Canadian Championship)
- to qualify for more than one CCL season
- to win a CCL playoff game (or even score a CCL playoff goal)
- to....

you see where I am going?

Truth be told, I'd be pissed if they didn't get rid of everyone based on those results.

123 elite
04-19-2010, 03:39 PM
Strange. Nowhere in there did i hear him offer up reasons why we had to watch his lame fat wobbly ass do nothing for half of last season. Guess a lot of people are overlooking that to fire another blast at Mo. Not defending Mo here but Ali Gerba was rubbish in every game he played. Clean your own act up first and then you may have some crdibility.

MG42
04-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Strange. Nowhere in there did i hear him offer up reasons why we had to watch his lame fat wobbly ass do nothing for half of last season. Guess a lot of people are overlooking that to fire another blast at Mo. Not defending Mo here but Ali Gerba was rubbish in every game he played. Clean your own act up first and then you may have some crdibility.

I believe the knee injury was mentioned...could be wrong though

Pookie
04-19-2010, 03:41 PM

I kind of look at it another way.

The MLS is a developmental league.

For the guys who are young, I'm sure that they don't want their careers to end here. They should be aspiring to becoming the best that they can be in order that they might get a chance to prove themselves in a higher league.

It's also a path to financial independence or at least a path towards a higher income than they could have earned as a young guy entering the workforce with his college mates.

I don't think Preki motivates by fear. His message as I see it is simply to train hard, do your job and you'll play. Eg, Don't come in after midnight if you want to start.

As a player, I would love to play for Preki. You know where you stand. You know what it takes to get more time. You know that the million dollar guy next to you is subject to the same rules.

And if I did those things, I'd get more time and more experience. I'd learn what it takes to get my ass out of the MLS and to the highest level I could get to.

If that doesn't motivate a player and he wants to bitch about how Preki doesn't talk nicely to the guys... well then I say we need to find better character players. Players who want to achieve something better for themselves and not simply pretend they are superstars because they earn over $100k a year.

grizzle
04-19-2010, 03:44 PM
Good for Ali to come out and say what we already knew. Hopefully it will open some other peoples' eyes.

grizzle
04-19-2010, 03:46 PM

He came in injured and was never given a fair chance to show what he could do.

kelzag
04-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Glad to see Ali come forward and kudos to the Score and KJ for putting this out there.

As far as Robinson goes, I think he made it clear that it was his choice at the time not to say anything.

From his County Times editorial on March 25th:

"Let me just say this, I knew back in November that I would be moving and no-one knows the real reasons except me - when I decide I will reveal the reasons and it might just shock a few people.
But for now I want to concentrate on the job ahead for me after joining NY."

Might be a good time to say something now?

adam1001
04-19-2010, 03:54 PM
You make it sound like missing the playoffs was a minor thing in 2007 and 2008 (and 2009). "Sure, gosh golly we weren't that good then... but now in 2010 when it counts.... shit, we really suck now..."

If missing the playoffs was of minor consequence to you in 2007, 2008 and 2009 then what makes 2010 any different?

Because "all of our best players" weren't good enough:

- to play sound football for a full 90 minutes
- to protect a lead
- to play with pride
- to come forward and be accountable for the NYRB game (except for Cronin and Edwards)
- to get us in the MLS playoffs just once in 3 years
- to finish 1st in a 3 team tournament that included 2 USL clubs (2008, Canadian Championship)
- to qualify for more than one CCL season
- to win a CCL playoff game (or even score a CCL playoff goal)
- to....

you see where I am going?

Truth be told, I'd be pissed if they didn't get rid of everyone based on those results.

Missing the playoffs was not a minor consequence at all. Obviously, everyone expected to make the playoffs (myself included). My point is that we were in fact building a better team. The results showed that. I fully understand that there needed to be changes made to the team. I just dont think that cutting half of your roster and replacing them with equal/lower quality players is the answer. We had a solid core in robinson, guevara etc to build around, but now were left starting all over again.

Pookie
04-19-2010, 04:17 PM
Missing the playoffs was not a minor consequence at all. Obviously, everyone expected to make the playoffs (myself included). My point is that we were in fact building a better team. The results showed that. I fully understand that there needed to be changes made to the team. I just dont think that cutting half of your roster and replacing them with equal/lower quality players is the answer. We had a solid core in robinson, guevara etc to build around, but now were left starting all over again.

How in fact were we "building a better team?"

We cut/traded the following:

Dichio (age 36)
Brennan (age 33)
Guevara (age 34)
Robinson (age 34)
Serioux (age 31) * I miss this guy

and traded 24 year old Marvell Wynne for 26 year old LaBrocca.

If anything, our roster was getting long in the tooth with a core group of players that arguably were on the downside of health, fitness and skill.

We brought in:

Cann (29)
Gargan (27)
Harden (26)
Hscanovics (23)
Joseph (22)
Labrocca (25)
Peterson (24)
Usanov (25)
Saric (31)

I'd argue that if you compared our future potential with this youthful group vs the core of what we had, they would not come out "equal/lesser quality."

The laws of aging indicate that we were going nowhere with what we had.

Super
04-19-2010, 04:29 PM
Might be a good time to say something now?

I think TFC supporters would definitely appreciate it if he would come out and spill the beans on his experience leaving the team. We need this sort of help to get rid of Mo.

adam1001
04-19-2010, 05:21 PM

Dichio (age 36)
Brennan (age 33)
Guevara (age 34)
Robinson (age 34)

If anything, our roster was getting long in the tooth with a core group of players that arguably were on the downside of health, fitness and skill.

We brought in:

Cann (29)
Gargan (27)
Harden (26)
Hscanovics (23)
Joseph (22)
Labrocca (25)
Peterson (24)
Usanov (25)
Saric (31)

I'd argue that if you compared our future potential with this youthful group vs the core of what we had, they would not come out "equal/lesser quality."

Obviously, dichios time was up. maybe even brennans (although im sure there were other reasons for his retirement). And its good that we have a younger team now. But besides dero, there is absolutely no leadership on this team. Guys like robinson and serioux provided some of that leadership last year. Guevera linked well with dero and at least showed creativity in the midfield. Although his finishing was crap, even vitti took on defenders and created some sort of attacking spark. Out of all these players signed, who exactly can move the ball forward and provide some sort of creativity in the midfield? Right now, were relying on dero to do all that work himself. I havent written off julian yet, but i am expecting him to step into that leadership role as he gets more comfortable.

Redcoe15
04-19-2010, 05:43 PM
Sadly, nothing Gerba says comes as a suprise to anyone. :( :facepalm:

bones
04-19-2010, 05:48 PM
For all those that think Preki is just a bad ass my way or the highway I have some alternate views. I just spent 3 hours in the air with the team travelling back from Denver and I was impressed with Preki's positive discussions. He bounced around talking with players. I sat behind Nana and across from Dero and Adrian. Preki spoke to both Nana and Adrian about some of the things to improve on and how to spot thing in the future but the key was HE WAS VERY POSITIVE. I'm sure he works his players hard but he was always a very hard working player himself. Hard work now will pay off later.

Bones...

ag futbol
04-19-2010, 05:51 PM
Pookie, asides from age i can't think of many positive things to say about the players in the second group you listed. I'd say other MLS teams have guys that vintage as well, but they have considerably more talent to grow into.

Labrocca is the best of the group. He's technically sound and a smart player, but he's not a game changer.

Guys like Peterson, Gargan, Harden, Cann, based on their past history are at best subs at this level. If we're going to play them as anything more than that, we will be in trouble.

Everyone else is just complete crap. Their either defensively irresponsible, technically deficient, or a first wave client. At best I think they improve to the level where they could sit on the bench, otherwise they are pretty close to an Andy Welsh level of futility.

The bottom line is we need better talent. We need to sign guys who can make an impact on the game, and we're struggling to identify players who can even stand on the field without being liabilities.

Pearce321
04-19-2010, 06:04 PM
"When you enjoy the football the goals will come"

Shakes McQueen
04-19-2010, 06:05 PM
Hmmm...I saw Gerba before he left for Charleston...seemed to be in good shape to me.

I think we are all accepting the word of a disgruntled ex-player a little too easily.

I have no doubt that a lot of what he is saying is probably true, but his opinion of Preki (for example), or Preki's "bad reputation" throughout the league, holds no weight with me. This is the guy who sent Gerba home for being useless, remember.

I also don't buy his excuse about being injured. His performance in pre-season was identical to his performance last season.

There's more stuff I take issue with, but let's start with that. This just sounds like a bitter ex-employee trying to get back at the people who "did him wrong", in his opinion - trying to make excuses for why he didn't work out here, by blaming everyone but himself, and using "the rest of the players/league think so too!" as cover.

You got paid a lot of money to play for us, Gerba. And you scored one goal.

- Scott

ag futbol
04-19-2010, 06:19 PM
^ See the thing is you really don't have to give Ali Gerba much credit because a lot of the things he's saying where brought up in the past ad nauseum. We've seen signs of people being frustrated and the amount of movement that takes place and whispers of TFC being shady about their dealings.

This is the first time a player has directly come out and said so much, but none of it is really news.

Whether Gerba is being honest about his training is another matter entirely. I don't particularly care about the answer to that one.

Ladies Love Julius James
04-19-2010, 06:20 PM
rohanricketts (http://twitter.com/rohanricketts)

Ali Gerba where ever u are I wanna let u know u r a brave man. May not have been a smart move but u kept it REAL Robbo they want u next lol 1 minute ago (http://twitter.com/rohanricketts/status/12481788256) via web

Ladies Love Julius James
04-19-2010, 06:21 PM

Robbo, they are sayin that you hide the truth and are afraid to talk ... I said that Robbo is just smarter than the rest. Enough said..

Sonny Cheeba
04-19-2010, 06:23 PM

Ali Gerba where ever u are I wanna let u know u r a brave man. May not have been a smart move but u kept it REAL Robbo they want u next lol 1 minute ago (http://twitter.com/rohanricketts/status/12481788256) via web

hah! of course ricketts would post something like that....

how is it not a smart move? he's not on the team anymore dummy, he can say whatever he wants about the administration. big fuckin deal.

Nodoubtguy
04-19-2010, 06:25 PM
lol @ fucking Ricketts.....don't you have your own team to worry about?

Sonny Cheeba
04-19-2010, 06:27 PM
lol @ fucking Ricketts.....don't you have your own team to worry about?

i think he's a wannabe torontonian or some shit..... haha

Pookie
04-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Pookie, asides from age i can't think of many positive things to say about the players in the second group you listed. I'd say other MLS teams have guys that vintage as well, but they have considerably more talent to grow into.

Therein, lies the MLS conundrum. If you stock a team with talent you can grow into... how long will you actually keep them before they move on to bigger and better?

This isn't really a long term building league. You can't get a couple of "franchise guys" and build a team around them like you can in the NBA, NFL or NHL. "Franchise guys" end up on transfers to bigger leagues.

So, generally speaking, are you better to build a team around younger, presumably hungrier players or older (somewhat) accomplished players looking to extend their careers?

The older guys might be more stable and with you a little longer. At the same time, you get all the baggage (skills/effort/attitude/health) that probably saw them fall from the bigger leagues.

The younger guys are on the upside of their careers and ideally still hoping that with hard work they can make it to the next level. At the same time, they are going to make mistakes and they have little experience. They also might only stay with you for a couple of seasons.

ag futbol
04-19-2010, 06:41 PM
Therein, lies the MLS conundrum. If you stock a team with talent you can grow into... how long will you actually keep them before they move on to bigger and better?

Maybe i'm mis-reading you here, but i hope this isn't to suggest that mediocre talent is the way to go. The league certainly needs it's career MLS guys and people who can fill out the bench, but that's not how you win.

I'd say there's a good mid-range out there too. Of guys who will develop into solid MLS players but won't have Europe knocking on their door. I do not think i see anyone who fits that description in our list of recently acquired players.

There's no set formula for winning this league. You just try to amass whatever you can and try to win as soon as possible. Because your core is extremely hard to keep intact given the low pay levels.

Roogsy
04-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Scott...I personally saw Ali myself, I am not taking his word on anything with regards to his fitness.

I think we are all accepting the word of a disgruntled ex-player a little too easily.

I take Ali's word in conjunction with all the other evidence available and it seems to fit pretty well.

I have no doubt that a lot of what he is saying is probably true, but his opinion of Preki (for example), or Preki's "bad reputation" throughout the league, holds no weight with me. This is the guy who sent Gerba home for being useless, remember.Preki's repuation is actually pretty well-established. Let's put it this way, Chivas players had a party when Preki left. There is a reason for that.

I also don't buy his excuse about being injured. His performance in pre-season was identical to his performance last season.Ali was injured last season, that is pretty much unanimously agreed. This season was the chance to see what he was actually going to bring, but he didn't get the chance. As for pre-season, if you take Ali's word at face value and there really was no work on tactics, how would you expect pre-season to go?

Let me point out another significant contradiction. When we talk about JDG, there seems to be unanimous to give him "time" before making a decision on his impact and yet Ali who was here roughly the same amount of time but definitely was given much less playing time, we pass judgement? Why the difference?

There's more stuff I take issue with, but let's start with that. This just sounds like a bitter ex-employee trying to get back at the people who "did him wrong", in his opinion - trying to make excuses for why he didn't work out here, by blaming everyone but himself, and using "the rest of the players/league think so too!" as cover.Oh for sure this is a spite move from Ali against Mo and Preki. Think what you will about that, I'd rather concentrate on whether what he says has any truth or weight. From the supporting evidence, what Ali is communicating to us should be listened to.

- ScottYup...and who gave him that contract? And why didn't Preki wait to see what Ali could bring in the regular season? After all, he's brought in a ton of new players that are going to take many weeks to get up to speed, could we not have used Ali in the meantime? All I know is 1 goal in 5 games is a lot better than what Barrett has given us and yet he is still here and Ali was shipped out. I'd have to wonder why we are not more upset why Barrett is still here rather than how many goals Ali scored with substantially less opportunities?

Ontario Arab
04-19-2010, 06:56 PM
There are 5 people I genuinly feel bad for....DeRo and Frei (because they are TFC), DD because he is who he is, and I hope he isnt regretting his decision to stay, I think he would do better than Mo and Preki at organising this team, and hope thats why he took his post because he feels he can do something in the near future, Jimmy B because he is a great pro, and Carl Robinson, because he is another pro and we are missing him for sure in the team............EVERYONE else can Piss right off.

rocker
04-19-2010, 06:57 PM
hah! of course ricketts would post something like that....

how is it not a smart move? he's not on the team anymore dummy, he can say whatever he wants about the administration. big fuckin deal.

huh? it's not necessarily a smart move if he wants to play in MLS again.
That's why it takes guts to come out and speak his mind.
Teams at other MLS destinations may think he's a troublemaker.

Sonny Cheeba
04-19-2010, 06:59 PM
huh? it's not necessarily a smart move if he wants to play in MLS again.
That's why it takes guts to come out and speak his mind.
Teams at other MLS destinations may think he's a troublemaker.

with the nonsense that's been going on at TFC, i doubt other teams in MLS would see that as an issue.

rocker
04-19-2010, 07:02 PM
Let's put it this way, Chivas players had a party when Preki left. There is a reason for that.

What's the proof of that? Can I get a link to the story where they had a party? Or is that just a metaphor? ;)

Chivas won games and made the playoffs every year. If players hate winning games and making the playoffs every year, I think the problem is them not Preki.

rocker
04-19-2010, 07:03 PM
with the nonsense that's been going on at TFC, i doubt other teams in MLS would see that as an issue.

I doubt that. Why wouldn't former TFC players speak out then?
Everyone else is so guarded. So obviously speaking out is a problem.
If everyone in the league believed in the players, then guys like Robbo would speak out right away.

Sonny Cheeba
04-19-2010, 07:06 PM
Robbo was traded, he didn't have his contract torn up, and wasn't sent packing from a meaningless pre-season tournament.

he may have bad things to say about the club, but why would he need to bother saying them? he's in New York. much better situation than with Ali.

Pookie
04-19-2010, 07:12 PM
Maybe i'm mis-reading you here, but i hope this isn't to suggest that mediocre talent is the way to go. The league certainly needs it's career MLS guys and people who can fill out the bench, but that's not how you win.

I think we are almost on the same page.

I'm accepting that "mediocre" is the talent that we currently have in the league. It's why 6-7 teams can fight for a remaining playoff spot over the last few games of the season.

While that describes the talent, there are intangibles that come into play when building a team.

I tend to feel that younger, hungrier players provide an element that older, career extending players do not. For that, I'm prepared to accept some mistakes that the older players might not make.

sully
04-19-2010, 07:20 PM
Whilst there's pieces missing..Garba of course is pissed, so how objective is he..why was he sacked..they said performance issues but at bloody preseason the point is to get prepared so that's crap.. Of course the players must be on tenderhooks for their jobs with all the player turnover..is this reflected on the field - yes.. and Garba is right about tactics, i.e. there are none..we saw that on Sunday..
If I were a prespective MLS player, I'd avoid Toronto like the plague... Disappointing stuff.

Here's an idea: Get Mo out soon - and put in Hart.

Roogsy
04-19-2010, 07:21 PM
What's the proof of that? Can I get a link to the story where they had a party? Or is that just a metaphor? ;)

Chivas won games and made the playoffs every year. If players hate winning games and making the playoffs every year, I think the problem is them not Preki.

Not a metaphor. ;)

Shakes McQueen
04-19-2010, 07:24 PM

Which is my point - whether players "like" Preki is 100% irrelevant. I don't care of they "dread" going to training. All I care about, is whether they play hard for him. And on that question, his record speaks for itself so far.

- Scott

jloome
04-19-2010, 07:28 PM
I don't know it's odd though that apparently "without tactics" Preki still made the playoffs with Chivas and had a 40-29-21 record there.

You can't do that without tactics...

You can when you start with a team that already had a playoff berth under Bob Bradley and have his roster to work with. Judge him on the fact that during his time there, they never got any better, and you have the half-full glass of water perspective.

jloome
04-19-2010, 07:31 PM

Dichio (age 36)
Brennan (age 33)
Guevara (age 34)
Robinson (age 34)

We brought in:

Cann (29)
Gargan (27)
Harden (26)
Hscanovics (23)
Joseph (22)
Labrocca (25)
Peterson (24)
Usanov (25)
Saric (31)

Except that they would. There isn't a single player on that list who is the quality of either Robinson or Guevara....or even Brennan and, possible, Serioux as well.

jloome
04-19-2010, 07:33 PM

I have no doubt that a lot of what he is saying is probably true, but his opinion of Preki (for example), or Preki's "bad reputation" throughout the league, holds no weight with me. This is the guy who sent Gerba home for being useless, remember.

I also don't buy his excuse about being injured. His performance in pre-season was identical to his performance last season.

There's more stuff I take issue with, but let's start with that. This just sounds like a bitter ex-employee trying to get back at the people who "did him wrong", in his opinion - trying to make excuses for why he didn't work out here, by blaming everyone but himself, and using "the rest of the players/league think so too!" as cover.

- Scott

And he started five games. Apparently, he got paid to sit for us. So, not exactly fair, particularly as he stated even last season he was injured. (I'm no fan, I think he's lazy and has lousy off-ball movement. But I don't see that that discounts what he's saying, either.)

ensco
04-19-2010, 07:39 PM
I wish Ali hadn't spilled all this.

Really, we knew all of this already, and I fear he's really damaged his career with this.

I know he's an adult, but man, what a colossal blunder on his part.

Shakes McQueen
04-19-2010, 07:40 PM
Scott...I personally saw Ali myself, I am not taking his word on anything with regards to his fitness.

I wasn't questioning your information - I was actually using your skepticism as a launching pad for my point that we can't take Gerba's word as gospel here.

I take Ali's word in conjunction with all the other evidence available and it seems to fit pretty well.

It fits well with the narrative we have created, yes. How much actual corroborated "evidence" we have, is debatable.

Preki's repuation is actually pretty well-established. Let's put it this way, Chivas players had a party when Preki left. There is a reason for that.

Because he was a notorious hard-ass who didn't accept laziness and insubordination from his players. I'm fine with that.

Ali was injured last season, that is pretty much unanimously agreed. This season was the chance to see what he was actually going to bring, but he didn't get the chance. As for pre-season, if you take Ali's word at face value and there really was no work on tactics, how would you expect pre-season to go?

Again - I don't take his words at face value. It sounds like an ex-employee making excuses. If I hear another player or two mention that they inexplicably didn't work on tactics, then perhaps my view will change.

Yup...and who gave him that contract? And why didn't Preki wait to see what Ali could bring in the regular season? After all, he's brought in a ton of new players that are going to take many weeks to get up to speed, could we not have used Ali in the meantime? All I know is 1 goal in 5 games is a lot better than what Barrett has given us and yet he is still here and Ali was shipped out. I'd have to wonder why we are not more upset why Barrett is still here rather than how many goals Ali scored with substantially less opportunities?

Mo gave him that contract, and Mo should be fired.

As for Gerba vs. Barrett - I have no doubt that Preki was wholly unimpressed with Gerba's work ethic and fitness when training camp started, and that likely expedited his leaving town. And unlike Barrett, if Gerba isn't scoring goals, he brings no other benefits to our attack because of his poor workrate and fitness. Barrett does many other things well.

And a quick glance at Wikipedia says Gerba had 1 goal in 11 appearances in a TFC uniform. Ironically, Barrett is the one with a strike rate of roughly 1 in 5 (9 goals in 45 appearances).

Like I said before - I have no doubt that much of what Gerba said is true. Specifically, his criticisms of the front office certainly ring true with many of us. But his smearing of Preki, for example, just sound like a disgruntled ex-employee making excuses.

- Scott

Roogsy
04-19-2010, 07:42 PM
I don't see it. Ali sees his immediate future in Europe. This won't do anything to affect him there. What affects him more will be coaches looking at how he performed last year and why he was released. If he can overcome that, then his interview with some small channel in Toronto won't even be a consideration.

And if Montreal ever want him, it's 50/50 whether this will be an issue at all. I'd guess probably not. Montreal is well aware of the drama sorrounding this team. They probably won't hold it against him. So I don't see how this damages him in any way.

Roogsy
04-19-2010, 07:44 PM
Again - I don't take his words at face value. It sounds like an ex-employee making excuses. If I hear another player or two mention that they inexplicably didn't work on tactics, then perhaps my view will change.

How many players will you need scott? JDG has already come out and said the same thing. Now Ali. If one more player comes out, will it be something you might believe?

And a quick glance at Wikipedia says Gerba had 1 goal in 11 appearances in a TFC uniform. Ironically, Barrett is the one with a strike rate of roughly 1 in 5 (9 goals in 45 appearances).

You are fully aware that the 11 appearances includes garbage minutes at the end of several games. Come on Scott.

Shakes McQueen
04-19-2010, 07:45 PM
I don't see it. Ali sees his immediate future in Europe. This won't do anything to affect him there. What affects him more will be coaches looking at how he performed last year and why he was released. If he can overcome that, then his interview with some small channel in Toronto won't even be a consideration.

And if Montreal ever want him, it's 50/50 whether this will be an issue at all. I'd guess probably not. Montreal is well aware of the drama sorrounding this team. They probably won't hold it against him. So I don't see how this damages him in any way.

If they see him as a guy who has no problem going public with complaints about the management and gossip about the state of the locker room, it could certainly hurt his chances of getting signed elsewhere.

- Scott

Roogsy
04-19-2010, 07:48 PM
If they see him as a guy who has no problem going public with complaints about the management and gossip about the state of the locker room, it could certainly hurt his chances of getting signed elsewhere.

- Scott

We will have to agree to disagree. This is completely a guess on both our parts I suppose.

twistedchinaman
04-19-2010, 07:49 PM
There are only few words you can say.

Ali - great that he spoke out, but really he did shite all. All sauce, no sizzle.
Preki - he's got a limited lifeline with me.
Mo - FIRE THIS HEADCASE ALREADY!!!!!!!

Pookie
04-19-2010, 08:04 PM
Except that they would. There isn't a single player on that list who is the quality of either Robinson or Guevara....or even Brennan and, possible, Serioux as well.

Really?

To borrow a phrase from the investment world, past performance does not indicate future success.

You could make a case that the stats compiled in 2009 by our older players might outpace those contributions made by our current crop in 2009.

But to claim that the stats for 2010 would paint the same picture is a little silly considering that the season still has 26 games left in it.

But if you want to check up on the boys:

- Robinson hurt his knee in a game against Brazil 3 weeks ago and only started training last Wednesday.

- Guevara is doing ok, with 2 goals in 15 appearances

- Serioux has played a total of 4 minutes this season with Houston

jloome
04-19-2010, 08:09 PM
Really?

To borrow a phrase from the investment world, past performance does not indicate future success.

You could make a case that the stats compiled in 2009 by our older players might outpace those contributions made by our current crop in 2009.

But to claim that the stats for 2010 would paint the same picture is a little silly considering that the season still has 26 games left in it.

But if you want to check up on the boys:

- Robinson hurt his knee in a game against Brazil 3 weeks ago and only started training last Wednesday.

- Guevara is doing ok, with 2 goals in 15 appearances

- Serioux has played a total of 4 minutes this season with Houston

And the guys we've signed would have played a total of zero minutes with Houston. Strawman argument, given that every one of those teams could beat us with their second teams right now. It's not comparable.

Even if Robbo were a crapout and Cann ends out being better than Serioux, getting back one valuable replacement for three valuable players does not exactly equate.Plus, we're paying a chunk of Robbo's salary.

By the way, he'snot out any more, he played Saturday night.

Nope, I see a lot of promise in some of the guys he's brought in. But I see a coach who values work ethic and discipline entirely, when there has to be room for talent and creativity as well.

kelzag
04-19-2010, 08:09 PM

Robinson played most of the second half in NYRB's win over Dallas on Saturday.

FluSH
04-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Somewhat out of topic... but this interview puts Kristian Jack on the #1 spot for TFC Journos/reporters for 2010...

It would be tough to beat this interview...

FootieChick
04-19-2010, 08:26 PM
I listened to the interview and from the observations of the politics that have been there in the past... I believe the guy. There is a lack of respect and the players are not being treated fairly.

I want Mo and Preki gone!

Garcia can stay on the bench and keep it warm for the players who are worthy of a break after they work their asses off!

Jose Mourinho
04-19-2010, 08:27 PM
To me, Ali conducted him self very professionally in this interview.

To me, the words Ali spoke were credible because they are backed up by the facts.

Mo Johnson, for me is not a good General Manager. Mo Johnson, for me has not made good decision for this football club.

Preki, for me is not the right man for the job. Preki, he needs time to implement his system. Preki, has had time, pre-season until now. Many games, few goals. A good manager will implement his system and tactics quickly.

For me, Mo Johnson and Preki are leading this team down the wrong path.

For me, we need an uprising.

Bluenose13
04-19-2010, 08:31 PM
To me, Ali conducted him self very professionally in this interview.

To me, the words Ali spoke were credible because they are backed up by the facts.

Mo Johnson, for me is not a good General Manager. Mo Johnson, for me has not made good decision for this football club.

Preki, for me is not the right man for the job. Preki, he needs time to implement his system. Preki, has had time, pre-season until now. Many games, few goals. A good manager will implement his system and tactics quickly.

For me, Mo Johnson and Preki are leading this team down the wrong path.

For me, we need an uprising.Well......You are the special one :D

Pachuco
04-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Wait...did Ricketts sign with TFC?

Bars92
04-19-2010, 08:34 PM
There are only few words you can say.

Ali - great that he spoke out, but really he did shite all. All sauce, no sizzle.
Preki - he's got a limited lifeline with me.
Mo - FIRE THIS HEADCASE ALREADY!!!!!!!

You do realise your in Calgary right?

MG42
04-19-2010, 08:35 PM
You do realise your in Calgary right?

I don't get it

MFG1
04-19-2010, 08:38 PM
You cant argue that when there's smoke there's fire. hahahaha From now on as it shows, Mo will only be bringing in players that don't speak a lick of english.

adam1001
04-19-2010, 08:46 PM
if anyone has rohan on facebook, check out his response to the guy that posted the story on his wall.... apparently theres a story behind Johann smith as well.

Pookie
04-19-2010, 08:48 PM
Robinson played most of the second half in NYRB's win over Dallas on Saturday.

So that's nice.

Aging players are on the downside of both skill and health. Robinson's 32 total season minutes really don't offer a counter point at this stage of the game do they?

kelzag
04-19-2010, 08:51 PM
So that's nice.

Aging players are on the downside of both skill and health. Robinson's 32 total season minutes really don't offer a counter point at this stage of the game do they?

You brought his name up.

FluSH
04-19-2010, 08:54 PM
You brought his name up.

EL OH EL

What he's really saying is:

So What?

Pookie
04-19-2010, 08:55 PM
^ as a counterpoint to the notion that we took a step backwards by bringing in younger players.

No worries. .. my post is sarcastic but it wasn't meant to be a shot at you.

FluSH
04-19-2010, 09:07 PM
^ as a counterpoint to the notion that we took a step backwards by bringing in younger players.

No worries. .. my post is sarcastic but it wasn't meant to be a shot at you.

too late I just reported your @ss... :D

jloome
04-19-2010, 09:27 PM
Well, everyone knows about it now.

MLS must be giving its online editors actual freedom. In this day and age? How novel.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/content/gerba-blasts-tfc-letting-him-go

jloome
04-19-2010, 09:28 PM
I do notice that the headline isn't exactly accurate. Maybe whomever approved it figure bigwigs don't read the small type underneath.

Whoop
04-19-2010, 09:29 PM
Not a metaphor. ;)

But where's the proof? LOL

Auzzy
04-19-2010, 09:46 PM
Very different take on this, from Paul James:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/gerba-has-sense-of-entitlement/article1539934/

I'm not going to accept this article as the gospel either, but it's a good idea to maintain some perspective.

Oh, and here's more from Ali directly:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/797662--gerba-rips-tfc-s-preki-johnston

Whoop
04-19-2010, 09:51 PM
LOL... Paul James makes Ali sound like all the minor hockey players I encounter every year.

123 elite
04-19-2010, 10:11 PM
He came in injured and was never given a fair chance to show what he could do.

If he was injured then he shouldn't be playing. He has a responsibility to himself and the team to let people know he is not fit to play. If he doesn't then he shouldn't hide behind the injury excuse for his poor performance.
All in, he offered nothing to the team in any of the games he played. There were plenty of players last season that have caused a lot of love / hate on these threads but Garcia aside most have had some redeeming aspect to their game. Serioux had some sound performances, Vitti had a lot of skill, Barrett has a lot of speed and a great work ethic, Wynne lots of speed etc etc. Gerba displayed nothing. Even if he was injured and playing he didn't do anything. Couldn't run, no passion, no positioning, created nothing and a dreadful first touch. Somebody with one of their legs taken out by a sniper could turn in a better performance than him. And his preseason was showing no improvement that i could see.

TFC115
04-19-2010, 10:32 PM
Ok, so watching this video kinda pissed me off and shows me that this club is really fucked. People want more players to speak out,so i asked Rohan Ricketts about his comments on ali gerba's video and if he has anything to say... this is what he wrote back

Ali was brave to open up. Hat off to him. I would not say it was smart but it was very brave. I saw some people suggesting Robbo should speak out... well I Robbo and know he is very smart and knows how to play the game so you guys can keep waiting. I have been in Gerba's shoes. They are not nice shoes to be in. But we must remember this is the co operate world. Emotions and sympathetic values are below ZERO. So what has happened to Ali is slowly becoming the norm. It can have an adverse effect on the league when stories like this surface ( which are true ), because fellow pros will see how the colleagues are being treated. You know who would be good for me to interview one day.... Johann Smith... Now that would be THE story !! I use to think I had a story but mine is still a love story as I have a special connection with all you TFC supporters. Mmmm I wonder if Mr Smith would wanna have a chat on my first podcast ? P.S. The team ain't doing so well now but remember its not a sprint its a marathon and the goal for the team is to make the play offs which I am sure they will do. Lay off JDG he is only human ( players are only as good as their surroundings ) Patience is a virtue. Thank you for your attention Adios amigos RR10

nimamalek
04-19-2010, 10:33 PM
Marshall - doing well at Seattle, obviously his defending was not an issue
Dunnivant - doing extremely well with LA, his defending cannot be questioned
Cunningham - Scoring a boat load at Dallas, maybe with more support he could have started scoring for us
Buddle - scoring like crazy for LA, maybe he needed more support from management
Nagamura - had a great season with Chivas last year
Casey - probably should have kept him, between him, Cunningham and Buddle I dont think we would have had any scoring issues
Wynne - early still but he has been playing well for the Rapids
Phelan - playing very well for NE for very little money
Robinson - wasnt a fan of his passing but that was before I watched JDG

thats almost a full line-up of good players that we let go without giving them a chance

Detroit_TFC
04-19-2010, 10:37 PM
Normally I take the comments of former team members leaving under a cloud with some skepticism but the facts are that in four years we're on our fourth coach and how many players on and off the roster, 35? 40? Ok, maybe not that many but it feels like it. We've dumped coaches and we've dumped players. It's got to be something else that is causing the funk.

Nuvinho
04-19-2010, 10:43 PM
^80 players or something like that.

Nuvinho
04-19-2010, 10:45 PM
what does 4 years, 4 coaches, 80 players, and 1 idiot running the team equal = tfc

jloome
04-19-2010, 11:13 PM

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/gerba-has-sense-of-entitlement/article1539934/

I'm not going to accept this article as the gospel either, but it's a good idea to maintain some perspective.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/797662--gerba-rips-tfc-s-preki-johnston

Problematically, both Gerba and James can be right.

Gerba IS a lazy player with a sense of entitlement. But James himself then points out Preki may have gone too far and that Johnston has done a lousy job on the team.

It's very easy for a bitter ex-coach to say "look how awful these players are," but it doesn't hold much water when he gives them all the blame while conceding they're not entirely responsible.

footballcanada
04-19-2010, 11:40 PM
Ali Gerba is a legend.

Shakes McQueen
04-19-2010, 11:53 PM

Paul James' article essentially espouses my point of view on this. Gerba sounds like a lazy, entitled has-been in the piece. While he says a lot of things about Mo that ring very true (but let's be honest, the verdict has been in on Mo for a while, we didn't need this), his complaints about Preki are petulance in it's purest form.

He made us run a lot! What a meanie!

Give me a break, Gerba. You did nothing with your time on the pitch for this team, and came back this season looking as slow and out of shape as ever - a repeated knock against you in your various gigs around the world.

- Scott

jmorgs88
04-20-2010, 12:12 AM
I cant believe he's complaining about a whole lot of running, especially in training camp where a big part of it is meant to run you into the ground...i know many people feel that Gerba didnt quite get the opportunity to prove himself but that occurs on the practice pitch and not in game situations; unless the coaches were completely out to lunch i would say he didnt play much because he didnt work to earn his spot

If he kept the finger pointed at Mo alone then perhaps you could find more merit in what he is saying but to complain against a coach that has achieved his fair share in the league and just arrive at TFC takes away all of Gerba's credibility

Gerba's 11 different home addresses over the past 10 years should have raised some flags long before he had the chance to sign for us

werewolf
04-20-2010, 12:13 AM
He expanded far beyond running to much in his comments towards Preki. 3 months+ and no tactical input, the only person scoring is DeRo.

Auzzy
04-20-2010, 01:13 AM
Yeah, I don't know what to think about all this. For sure there will be a couple of sides to these stories.

Here's one thing that makes me scratch my head. Admittedly, it's been a few hours since I heard the interview, so I can't remember the details. However, Ali makes it sound like Preki and Mo are basically two sides of the same problem. Also, he says that Jimmy was another player not happy with the situation this season. Ali adds that he doesn't think Mo or Preki will have success, or last much longer with the team. Given all this, why the heck would Jimmy move upstairs to work with Mo?

Another side of this, interesting from the Star article: Gerba says he found out he should immediately leave the team in South Carolina via email from some team staff member. Didn't Wynne hear he was being traded via text message? We've heard similar rumours from others. That kinda crap just totally pisses me off. Sure, some people will say, get over it, it's business, it's a tough world, whatever. But that kind of treatment (if true) is just total BS, it's unnecessary, it just makes things worse w/o any benefit, affects the team's reputation for no good, etc. It's a basic sign of a bad boss/bad management. Who the hell cares what you think about a player, treat them professionally & with respect, especially if you're trading or releasing them. Sit down with them, "it didn't work out, best of luck, yada yada." Costs nothing, except to keep your freaking misguided ego in check for 10 minutes. It's not like these guys are running the best freaking team on the planet, where what the players think about you probably doesn't make a big difference for your team's reputation.

Auzzy
04-20-2010, 01:31 AM
BTW I always thought it was totally weird that Gerba was asked to leave the South Carolina tournament early. (Why not just bench him if there's a problem, and when you're back in Toronto, sit the guy down & say, sorry, it's not working out, can we make a deal to get you released/bought out.) Here's some completely wild speculation, why Gerba might have been told to leave early. Gerba mentions "80%" of the players weren't happy with the practices or the games. So it sounds like he was talking with a bunch of players about this. Maybe Preki caught wind that Gerba was going around & chatting with everyone, maybe thought he's raising a stink. Couple that with poor performance by Gerba: might be reason they thought, better he leave sooner rather than later.

Here's another side. bones posted this in the Monday "Today's News" thread: http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=986591#post986591

For all those that think Preki is just a bad ass my way or the highway I have some alternate views. I just spent 3 hours in the air with the team travelling back from Denver and I was impressed with Preki's positive discussions. He bounced around talking with players. I sat behind Nana and across from Dero and Adrian. Preki spoke to both Nana and Adrian about some of the things to improve on and how to spot thing in the future but the key was HE WAS VERY POSITIVE. I'm sure he works his players hard but he was always a very hard working player himself. Hard work now will pay off later.

Bones...