PDA

View Full Version : Possible second team in New York City.

Vecchia Guardia
04-18-2010, 09:45 AM
http://mlsinsiderblog.com/?p=1696

ManUtd4ever
04-18-2010, 09:53 AM
The Red Bulls are just starting to gain momentum in that market. I think it would be prudent for the MLS to wait at least another 2-3 years before considering adding a second franchise in the New York region...

Ossington Mental Youth
04-18-2010, 09:54 AM
didnt only 12k show up to the game last night?

Beach_Red
04-18-2010, 09:55 AM
Maybe a second team would actually help with that momentum - close rivalry, more media coverage, all that.

tfc2007
04-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Maybe a second team would actually help with that momentum - close rivalry, more media coverage, all that.

I think it would eventually, but not right now.

Super
04-18-2010, 10:09 AM
This doesn't make much sense to me. Didn't Garber say last year that he wanted to stop expanding at #20? I believe we're at #18 with Vancouver and Portland joining next year. So, with only two spots left, he's going to award a second team to a market that can't fill out a 25k stadium already?

#19 should be Montreal. #20 should be the last market in the states with the most potential to fill seats. And then that's it. Hand the guy a fucking condom!

Pachuco
04-18-2010, 10:13 AM
Yawn....this thread comes up once a year and goes knowhere once a year. How about they try getting some fans to show up to their flashy new stadium first?

rocker
04-18-2010, 10:31 AM
2nd team? they'd need a first team in New York ;)
Red Bulls are in New Joisey! :)

They should rebrand them the New Jersey Bon Jovis and they'll be fine.

Beach_Red
04-18-2010, 10:41 AM
One of the comments on the article put it pretty well:

"How on earth are you going to have 1 team run academys, charities, and all that stuff for a metro area of 19 million people. People have to remember this isn’t a city… it’s 7 cities together, it’s a megalopolis."

It's not like New York is a little bit bigger than the other cities, it's on another scale.

Every sport has two teams in New York. Maybe soccer needs two teams to be taken seriously.

TFCUNITED
04-18-2010, 11:03 AM
It's hard for me to see a second team in New York right now when the league will probably be stopping at 20 teams. It looks like Montreal will be the 19th team and the 20th team will probably be St. Louis or somewhere in the South East. If we had a MLS1 and MLS2 and some sort of pro-reg between them then I could see NY having two or more teams. Right now the best bet for a 2nd team in NY will be in the NASL/USL.

Canary Canuck
04-18-2010, 11:08 AM
One of the comments on the article put it pretty well:

"How on earth are you going to have 1 team run academys, charities, and all that stuff for a metro area of 19 million people. People have to remember this isn’t a city… it’s 7 cities together, it’s a megalopolis."

It's not like New York is a little bit bigger than the other cities, it's on another scale.

Every sport has two teams in New York. Maybe soccer needs two teams to be taken seriously.

I agree. To put it in perspective, New York has more people than a lot of major European countries. The other thing is they're still struggling to draw new fans from the eastern boroughs. A new team at Willets Point by the Mets stadium would draw different fans than the Shite Bulls and aid awareness of the league in the overall region.

ren989
04-18-2010, 11:19 AM
I don't mind the idea if it's through relocation. Maybe move the Chivas team to New York. Having two teams in LA and NYC would look a little silly in a 20 team league.

Beach_Red
04-18-2010, 11:39 AM
Any idea what's going on with the USL team, FC New York?

Redcoe15
04-18-2010, 11:43 AM
I can see the point in having two teams in New York. But how about they wait until NYRB gets successful and builds up a demand for tickets before deciding to add another Big Apple team. I'd much prefer to see St. Louis as the 20th team.

Yohan
04-18-2010, 11:51 AM
does MLS really need Chivas USA v2 in NY?

TFC07
04-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Toronto should get a second team instead of NYC.

twistedchinaman
04-18-2010, 12:17 PM
^ Great idea, probably not going to happen. :D

I don't know about NY...but the Metrostars/Red Craps have had almost 15 years to build a base -- now that they sort of have something, they should have a cross-town rival. But give it at least another 3 seasons. Or start the team now, but ask it to join Division 1 for the time being...let them build up support. FC New York could be just that team.

Beach_Red
04-18-2010, 12:40 PM
I can see the point in having two teams in New York. But how about they wait until NYRB gets successful and builds up a demand for tickets before deciding to add another Big Apple team. I'd much prefer to see St. Louis as the 20th team.

Maybe, but remember the NY Jets couldn't give away tickets their first few years in the AFL and people said that would flop.

habstfc
04-18-2010, 12:46 PM
Second home game of the year last night against dallas, only 13,000 decided to show up. End of story.

Beach_Red
04-18-2010, 12:53 PM
Second home game of the year last night against dallas, only 13,000 decided to show up. End of story.

Let's hope it's not the end of the story - could there really be a top-level sports league in North America without a presence in New York?

There's a lot more of this story left to be written.

rocker
04-18-2010, 01:01 PM
the thing many of us said before RBA was that people need to remember this is New Jersey. It's not New York. Yes, I know New Yorkers go to New Jersey for many sports teams, but the NFL is a totally different beast.

If people look at attendances for teams with New Jersey in their names, it's never that great.

If they put a team in NY proper (like by the new Mets stadium, as someone mentioned), it would have a higher attendance than the NJ team, in my opinion.

kodiakTFC
04-18-2010, 01:41 PM
didnt only 12k show up to the game last night?

14k showed to the game last night. Not great.

Edit: I was at the gym a couple days ago and saw someone wearing a Metrostars jersey. Random.

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-18-2010, 01:49 PM
New York is obviously a huge untapped market, but they should worry about the first team getting decent attendance before adding a second.

Davenport
04-18-2010, 02:39 PM
What they need to do is attract the massive Latin population in NYC.
They haven't done that yet.

prizby
04-18-2010, 02:53 PM
there are plenty of good markets in the states

the problem is people are lazy and don't want to have to travel far to see a game, i wonder how much better the Revolution could be if they weren't in foxboro

at the same time,

there are good places in cities like a Miami and St. Louis..its all about where you build the stadium (in the right place) and whether you can secure the financing for that stadium too

devioustrevor
04-18-2010, 02:59 PM
Shouldn't New York have a first team before they get a 2nd? Wouldn't you T.O.-based TFC supporters consider having New York Red Bulls similar to having TFC in Pickering?

J .
04-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Bad idea

Detroit_TFC
04-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Hard to believe the MLS board would approve a second team in NYC that would in anyway damage RB's investment, they would block it. So whatever business case is being made, it's probably asserting that a second team would increase attendence for RBNY too.

I guess its possible but I'm really skeptical.

Mikey
04-18-2010, 08:43 PM
Any rumours of a second team in Toronto? Or Buffalo, or Rochester? Somewhere easy to drive to every week?

king dave
04-18-2010, 10:47 PM
New York just got a USL/USL2 development team last year in Long Island I think.
The Red Bulls play in Harrisbourg, NJ. It makes perfect sense to have a team in NY proper, no?
I think it would be great, going down the road, to have a proper NY team.
We could all stay in Astoria and try to find an Irish pub:rolleyes:.
KD.

king dave
04-18-2010, 10:48 PM
Any rumours of a second team in Toronto? Or Buffalo, or Rochester? Somewhere easy to drive to every week?
Yeah. I heard about a team at Christie Pits:rolleyes:.
C'mon man:D.
KD.

nascarguy
04-18-2010, 11:15 PM
hamilton wants a team in the usl

king dave
04-19-2010, 12:04 AM
hamilton wants a team in the usl
+1.
KD.

king dave
04-19-2010, 12:06 AM
The 'Hammers'.
'One nail at a time'.
KD.