PDA

View Full Version : Don't Cry For Me Argentina!

bgnewf
04-17-2010, 05:40 PM
http://tfcpics.com (http://www.tfcpics.com)

Why DeRo should be allowed by TFC to go to Argentina next month.

__________________________________________________ _________
The Canadian Soccer Association announced this week that Canada's Mens National Team will play Argentina in Buenos Aires on May 24th in what will be one of the most high profile games the Canadians will be playing in the forseeable future. And on Rogers Sportsnet today in an interview on Soccer Central, TFC Captain Dwayne DeRosario stated that in no uncertain terms he would love to be part of that team that plays against the Argentines on their home ground. He stated that he has already spoken to both Stephen Hart and Preki about the game.

The Canadian National Team always seems to have problems in getting players to be released from their clubs to play in these types of matches and this match most likely will be no exception. TFC plays the last of four games in 12 days on May 22nd, including two away games in the Voyageurs Cup. Then five days after the Argentina game TFC travels west to play San Jose in a match that could be one of the best chances of the season that Toronto has to get a win on the road.

And even with all these games he will be playing for TFC I think that DeRo should be allowed to go to Argentina and represent his country. And Toronto FC should let it be known as soon as possible!

DeRo is our Captain. He is our leader. He plays hard each and every minute.

And this is a wonderful chance for Toronto FC to do something for it's best player and on field leader and even more importantly to undo some of the damage to the club's reputation that has taken place over the past year. Comments from departed players and staffers have alluded to a lot of problems between players and managment behind the scenes over the history of TFC under Mo Johnston's tenure and an overt display of gratitude to an important player would be the smart play here. Reputation is important in this sport. And in a league like MLS where the salary cap rules the day it is often the little things like this that convince players to come to one team over another.

And a happy DeRo will be a better performer for TFC. Yes there is always a risk here in this kind of thing but the upside is that we may even see his game move to a higher level down the stretch.

He wants to go. He deserves to go. He should go.

Julian DeGuzman to go to Argentina too?? Not so much. That's another story...

deeznutz
04-17-2010, 05:44 PM
This is a huge game for the lads to learn something and I think ALL of them should play!

nascarguy
04-17-2010, 05:55 PM
sorry but both need to stay with TFC

Pookie
04-17-2010, 06:01 PM
Did Johnston win any points for letting Guevara (or Wynne or Brennan or Gerba or Sutton or Marshall or... ) go on International duty in previous years?

Shakes McQueen
04-17-2010, 06:10 PM
If you're going to let DeRo go, then you have to let anyone else who gets tapped by the CMNT go too. You'd really want to essentially spit in the face of our DP, by letting DeRo participate in the match, and keeping JDG in Toronto?

- Scott

nascarguy
04-17-2010, 06:17 PM
CSA broke sutton for us

woolly
04-17-2010, 06:19 PM
If you let DeRo go, then JDG, and what about Nana? He'll likely get tapped even as a benchwarmer/ sub.

I don't think we can pillage the roster for our best players for any length of time...

jazzy
04-17-2010, 06:21 PM
Did Johnston win any points for letting Guevara (or Wynne or Brennan or Gerba or Sutton or Marshall or... ) go on International duty in previous years?

Ya Guevara is going to the world cup, enough said.......it's classy,

nascarguy
04-17-2010, 06:29 PM
and what if one of them get hurt csa will not repair them

TFC07
04-17-2010, 06:36 PM
I am sure DeRo and JDG want to play against Argentina and they're willing to miss couple of TFC games.

This is a big game and a good showing from Canada will improve Canada's soccer image in Canada assuming this game is going to be on TV.

Waggy
04-17-2010, 06:46 PM
While I agree in princple, in reality TFC has a few guys who COULD get called to play for Canada. It's probably not good for the locker room moral to allow 1 to go but not the rest. If I were JDG or Nana, I'd be FURIOUS if he were allowed to go and I wasn't. And it's unreasonable for us to be without all 3 for a friendly, even one as big as with Argentina.

TFC07
04-17-2010, 06:50 PM
Nana is good enough to play for Canada? I don't think he'll be called up unless Canada is having trouble finding players.

Super
04-17-2010, 06:50 PM
In principle no club should be able to stop a player from playing for his country - period. I'd love to keep all of our players, but this is just an issue that I think is important to respect - otherwise we might as well fold our national team and call it a day.

nascarguy
04-17-2010, 07:00 PM
it's time to let the younger player's play csa has about 3 to 4 year's and they got to work on making a better team

bigtfcfan
04-17-2010, 07:04 PM
All players called up should be allowed to go. I'm pretty sure both DeRo and JDG will get called.

Darlofletch
04-17-2010, 07:29 PM
If they get called up, and they want to go, we should let them. all clubs are going to have to deal with players missing, we're probably not going to have anyone miss time for the world cup, so overall we won't be hit too bad. You've got to respect players careers, and respect the national team.

denime
04-17-2010, 07:41 PM
While I agree in princple, in reality TFC has a few guys who COULD get called to play for Canada. It's probably not good for the locker room moral to allow 1 to go but not the rest. If I were JDG or Nana, I'd be FURIOUS if he were allowed to go and I wasn't. And it's unreasonable for us to be without all 3 for a friendly, even one as big as with Argentina.

It is FIFA official date too,so TFC can't do anything about it.If they are called and they decide to go it is up to them.

And lats face it they have the chance to play vs Argentina how often?

They should go if they are called.

nascarguy
04-17-2010, 07:42 PM
argentina is not going to call up the big name stars for a non fifa date

RealG-TFC
04-17-2010, 07:44 PM
Hmm...I'm on the fence, while I agree that he is essential to TFC success, which ultimately is the only thing that matters, I also don't want Canada to get spanked too badly against the Argies...

nascarguy
04-17-2010, 07:45 PM
It is FIFA official date too,so TFC can't do anything about it.If they are called and they decide to go it is up to them.

And lats face it they have the chance to play vs Argentina how often?

They should go if they are called.
oh it's a official fifa date now

RedsYNWA
04-17-2010, 07:51 PM
^^ Dude put yourself in their shoes.... I bet everyone would love to play Argentina. A Happy Player is a goood player a bitter player is not.

Davenport
04-17-2010, 07:54 PM
^^ Dude put yourself in their shoes.... I bet everyone would love to play Argentina. A Happy Player is a goood player a bitter player is not.
But a bitter drinker is better than a happy clapper......:drinking:

GuelphStorm2007
04-17-2010, 08:01 PM
it's time to let the younger player's play csa has about 3 to 4 year's and they got to work on making a better team
I totally agree with that statement I would rather see the likes of Nana, Hoilett, Will Johnson, and Jackovic play instead of some 30 year olds:scarf:

nascarguy
04-17-2010, 08:08 PM
why is csa booking dates in may why not feb or march.

DichioTFC
04-17-2010, 08:09 PM
why is csa booking dates in may why not feb or march.

because csa is full of idiots.

Fiin
04-17-2010, 09:01 PM
because csa is full of idiots.

Lol truer words were never spoken.

Bombonera
04-18-2010, 09:51 AM
I get the idea that Canada's best play for Canada when it means something.

But to suggest that our best players should go (while we are clearly under development and playing suspect ball) to play a game that to me seems arranged so that the argentine side learns to score goals again, in the zoo that is the monumental in BS.As., is ridiculous.

WHat if they get hurt? Then what?

Pachuco
04-18-2010, 10:21 AM
I think it's selfish to suggest that our players shouldn't go. Like someone else said, let's just fold the national team. All people do around here is bitch about how the CSA doesn't get Canada good opposition to play against, now they do and they want to fold the game so our players don't get hurt? ridicolous. Club should NEVER be allowed to stop a player from playing for his country.

JonO
04-18-2010, 10:28 AM
It is FIFA official date too
Pretty sure I remember reading that it's not an official date...

nfitz
04-18-2010, 10:29 AM
It is FIFA official date tooNo it isn't, except for players who are on World Cup squads.

The official calendar for FIFA is at:
http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/worldfootball/calendar&live/51/52/61/internationalmc-fifa-dates-2010-2014-updateseptember2009-e.pdf

However, for the Monday 24th game in Argentina, it's quite feasible for TFC players to make the game, and not miss any TFC games.

We play a 1 pm game on the 22nd. Air Canada has a direct flight that departs Pearson just before midnight, arriving in Buenos Aires mid-afternoon on Sunday. Plenty of time to be ready for a Monday game. And no reason they couldn't be back on Toronto Wednesday afternoon (heck, Tuesday afternoon if they can catch a 9 pm flight on Monday out of Buenos Aires).

As long as they don't stick around for the Venezuela game on the 29th, the players should be able to pull it off, without still a bit of recovery time before our game on the 29th.

Gazza
04-18-2010, 10:31 AM
I guess i always choose country over club. I think De Ro and Julian should be there to provide experience to the younger guys against a very talented side(no matter who argentina names). Nana should be there to gain some more international experience.

Obviously De Ro has proven that he still has it and still belongs in the mix for 2014 qualifying. And you never know what the CSA is going to do next, so the team should start thinking about gelling right away to gain some momentum going into the first qualification game.

[NBF]
04-18-2010, 10:47 AM
I would prefer if Will Johnson went instead of DeRosario. At least he doesnt quit on his team.

-------------------------------------Wagenaar-----------------------------------
-------------------------------------Hirschfeld-----------------------------------
-------------------------------------Monsalve------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stalteri--------------Jakovic------------------------McKenna-------------Klukowski
Attakora-------------D.Bassi------------------------Hainault----------------Straith
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------Bernier--------------DeGuzman------------Hutchinson---------------
--------------Peters---------------Simpson---------------DeJong-----------------
Huime-------------------------------------------------------------Nakajima-Farran
S.Jackson--------------------------------------------------------------W.Johnson
------------------------------------Friend----------------------------------------
------------------------------------Ocean---------------------------------------

On The Bubble: David Edgar(CB), David Hoilett(FW), Jacob Lensky(MF), Jonathan DeGuzman(MF),
Shaun Saiko(MF), Adam Street(GK), Roberto Stillo(GK)

Carts
04-18-2010, 11:17 AM
I am sure DeRo and JDG want to play against Argentina and they're willing to miss couple of TFC games.

This is a big game and a good showing from Canada will improve Canada's soccer image in Canada assuming this game is going to be on TV.

Dero said himself he wants to play in the Argentina match - while missing "as little time as possible" in the one-on-one with Gerry Dobson...

I suspect Dero & JDG will ship out for the Argentina match, and come home without playing in the 2nd friendly on the trip...

Kind of a compromise between CSA & TFC...

Yes, they miss matches, and could get hurt, but the experience of playing Argentina, in Argentina should be given to the lads who have earned it...

Carts...

nfitz
04-18-2010, 11:38 AM
I suspect Dero & JDG will ship out for the Argentina match, and come home without playing in the 2nd friendly on the trip...

Kind of a compromise between CSA & TFC...

Yes, they miss matches ...Why do they need to miss matches? They can play our Saturday afternoon game, and still be in Buenos Aires on Sunday. Tired, sure ... they don't need to miss any of our matches.

Carts
04-18-2010, 11:47 AM
Why do they need to miss matches? They can play our Saturday afternoon game, and still be in Buenos Aires on Sunday. Tired, sure ... they don't need to miss any of our matches.

You know what, I agree - they don't "need" to miss, I just think they will b/c Preki will be all pissy and sit them etc...

Carts...

Bombonera
04-18-2010, 02:54 PM
I think it's selfish to suggest that our players shouldn't go. Like someone else said, let's just fold the national team. All people do around here is bitch about how the CSA doesn't get Canada good opposition to play against, now they do and they want to fold the game so our players don't get hurt? ridicolous. Club should NEVER be allowed to stop a player from playing for his country.
I think there is a fine line here. Yes, they need the experince, and no we as a country should not throw in the towel. No way.

Club before country never when it means something. BUt this is a meangless match, and depending on who plays and how they play, could be an abosolute embarassement. Let's please remember that in a country like Argentina, Football is verything to most. It afffects politics

And for anyone who has never taken the Direct to BS.AS., FYI -It's nothing like 5 hours to LA. It's a killer.

Gazza
04-18-2010, 03:03 PM
I think there is a fine line here. Yes, they need the experince, and no we as a country should not throw in the towel. No way.

Club before country never when it means something. BUt this is a meangless match, and depending on who plays and how they play, could be an abosolute embarassement. Let's please remember that in a country like Argentina, Football is verything to most. It afffects politics

And for anyone who has never taken the Direct to BS.AS., FYI -It's nothing like 5 hours to LA. It's a killer.

I think every international should be meaningful to a country always on the outside looking in when it comes to World Cups.

Not only do they need to assess their young talent, but they have to gel as a team to gain some momentum going into the next round of qualifying.

clc12
04-18-2010, 05:55 PM
I don't know whether argentina will play their starters, although it will definitely be their wc squad.

Maradona did not want to play this game because he wants his players to rest but its too late now. it should be a great experience for Canada