PDA

View Full Version : Barrett isnt as bad as you might think...

razor787
04-17-2010, 04:38 PM
I have been browsing here for a while now, and never got around to making an account til now. For my first post, im most likely going to get flamed a bit...

Anyway, after looking at some stats, I came to the realization that Chad Barrett isnt as good as everyone says he is...

Looking at his stats, he has had 50 appearances to 11 goals. Yes, thats complete shit for a striker, but considering everyone golden boy, Danny Dichio, has 14 goals, for his 66 appearances, is Barrett really that bad?

4 extra goals for Danny, for another 14 games. I dont see how danny can be so highly praised around here, yet everyone teases Barrett for being shit.

And truthfully, Barrett has shown he has the ability. Every game, he has atleast 1 great chance, just doesnt capitalize on it. He can find the space, hes just a little off on his aim.

Darlofletch
04-17-2010, 04:43 PM
I have been browsing here for a while now, and never got around to making an account til now. For my first post, im most likely going to get flamed a bit...

Anyway, after looking at some stats, I came to the realization that Chad Barrett isnt as good as everyone says he is...

Looking at his stats, he has had 50 appearances to 11 goals. Yes, thats complete shit for a striker, but considering everyone golden boy, Danny Dichio, has 14 goals, for his 66 appearances, is Barrett really that bad?

4 extra goals for Danny, for another 14 games. I dont see how danny can be so highly praised around here, yet everyone teases Barrett for being shit.

And truthfully, Barrett has shown he has the ability. Every game, he has atleast 1 great chance, just doesnt capitalize on it. He can find the space, hes just a little off on his aim.

first post and he messes it up. barrett would be proud of you.

sorry, that was unnecessary.

I don't think you'll get too much argument right now, a lot of people seem to be quite positive about barrett and what he brings, in every respect except his finishing. wait for him to miss a whole bunch of chances in one game and people will be all over him again.

Comparison with Dichio is a very good one, both of them in very different ways bring a lot more to the team than their goal scoring stats suggest. Unfortunately, We've never had a striker who did nothing, but scored lots of goals, to complement either of them.

Davenport
04-17-2010, 04:52 PM

Dichio was a veteran when he came here and lead the attack with real passion and character.
Barrett is at the peak of his career ( ?).
No comparison really.

Barrett has lots of enthusiasm, but every player who gets paid to play should have that.
His inability to finish sitters is becoming legendary.
Hence the new nickname for a misssed simple chance:
A Barrett !!

razor787
04-17-2010, 05:22 PM
Dichio was a veteran when he came here and lead the attack with real passion and character.
Barrett is at the peak of his career ( ?).
No comparison really.

Barrett has lots of enthusiasm, but every player who gets paid to play should have that.
His inability to finish sitters is becoming legendary.
Hence the new nickname for a misssed simple chance:
A Barrett !!

So Dichio is better because he had a long career before he came here and didnt score all that many goals? Dichio was a great charecter infront of the camera, but comparing the two players side by side, for their on-pitch work. My money goes to Barrett.

He gets several chances each game, he plays his heart out, just isnt the best finisher. Like I said before, he is great at finding space. He is usually in a good position, and gets a good chance on net, which is more then you can say for dichio.

Dichio was nearing the end of his career. He was slow, had many fouls when he played, and wasnt usually in the best positions. Skillwise, him and Barrett are pretty even. I might actually even go as far as giving Barrett the little nudge above dichio.

flatpicker
04-17-2010, 05:26 PM
^ but Dichio had an uncanny knack for those one-touch flick-on passes that put his teammates in scoring positions.

Unfortunately, the people who received his passes seemed incapable of finding the net.

ManUtd4ever
04-17-2010, 05:32 PM
Barrett is the kind of player that will give coaches a coronary. I love his hustle and grit but it amazes me how he scores unexpected world class goals on occasion and fails to capitalize on the routine chances...

Beach_Red
04-17-2010, 05:41 PM
Barrett is what MLS is all about - an American player just good enough. If he converted more of his chances into goals, he would be gone from MLS and return in ten years.

koryo
04-17-2010, 05:58 PM
Stop thinking of Barrett as a striker. Fact is, we're a better attacking team when he's on the pitch, but his strength is to do the work to set up DeRo & White. He did that the other night and DeRo missed from point blank range.

Funny how no one mentions that.

Honestly, some of the opinions on this forum are as bad as the chanting in the stands:
neither have bugger all to do with what's happening on the pitch.

Pookie
04-17-2010, 06:00 PM
Barrett is what MLS is all about - an American player just good enough. If he converted more of his chances into goals, he would be gone from MLS and return in ten years.

Stop copying from my page... ;)

Mark in Ottawa
04-17-2010, 06:07 PM
Barrett and Dichio were/are two entirely different styles of player.
Attempting to compare them is like comparing apples & oranges...

The knock on Barrett is the number of clear chances he does not score on.
Many people forget the fact that getting those chances is damn hard work.

As long as he keeps working hard the chances will keep coming... and if he calms down a bit and start hitting the target... well the naysayers will shut it pretty damn quick.

Remember Jeff Cunningham? Loads of pressure... lots of stick and little to no results.
He goes elsewhere and get told to calm down and just play his game and the rest is history.

Stryker
04-17-2010, 06:16 PM
First thread fail. Welcome to the forums.

Shakes McQueen
04-17-2010, 06:23 PM
This probably could have just as easily gone in the thread I made about Barrett on Thursday.

- Scott

sulfur
04-17-2010, 07:11 PM
Stop thinking of Barrett as a striker. Fact is, we're a better attacking team when he's on the pitch, but his strength is to do the work to set up DeRo & White. He did that the other night and DeRo missed from point blank range.

Funny how no one mentions that.
Aside -- from re-watching a chunk of the game last night, DeRo was actually flagged for being offside on the play.

Final stats of the game? OBW - 2 times offside. DeRo - 3 times offside. LaBrocca - 1 time offside.

Philly? 1 time offside.

ensco
04-17-2010, 07:14 PM
He also isn't as good as you might not think.

Davenport
04-17-2010, 07:51 PM
So Dichio is better because he had a long career before he came here and didnt score all that many goals? Dichio was a great charecter infront of the camera, but comparing the two players side by side, for their on-pitch work. My money goes to Barrett.

He gets several chances each game, he plays his heart out, just isnt the best finisher. Like I said before, he is great at finding space. He is usually in a good position, and gets a good chance on net, which is more then you can say for dichio.

Dichio was nearing the end of his career. He was slow, had many fouls when he played, and wasnt usually in the best positions. Skillwise, him and Barrett are pretty even. I might actually even go as far as giving Barrett the little nudge above dichio.

No, what I meant was it's not fair to compare the 2.
Dichio was on the downside of a decent career while Barrett should now be at his peak and he's still very average. Given that, Dichio did more for this club than Barrett ever will.
They are 2 different players at 2 different times in their careers.
Will Barrett ever garner the love from the fans that Dichio did and still does....no way.
Says it all really.
Every player should play his heart out....that shouldn't be a factor and each one in his own way does, it's just that Barrett's style is all huff and puff with not much at the end of it.
He's just not good enough...and a player earning $300K should be.
IMHO he's a bit of a joke....and I don't think I'm in the minority.

Brooker
04-17-2010, 08:13 PM
He's just not good enough...and a player earning $300K should be.

yeah... he's not worth 300k but I can't exactly blame him for agreeing to those terms... lol.

I really do feel Barrett will play a big part this season.

Fiin
04-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Barrett is an enigma.. he has great work rate, speed, and off the ball positioning.. but just has a curse on him when in strike range.

canadian_bhoy
04-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Wild Thing Chad Barrett.
I hope he changes his number to #99.

Wild thing
you make my heart sing
you miss everything, badly
oh wild thing

Sa0v08XY2G8

superstar1976
04-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Hard worker+odd great goal+bald head ......

does not equal even a good player. I like him as a winger to be honest, but no where else on the pitch. He doesn't have a good touch, basically houseleague control of the ball, and can't finish if his life depended on it.

koryo
04-17-2010, 10:22 PM
^^ I still believe that Barrett would be a good winger for us.

And have done since about four weeks after he arrived.

superstar1976
04-17-2010, 10:28 PM
Yes, when he's played there, I don't really have a problem with him as his liabilities are not as noticable...

razor787
04-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Hard worker+odd great goal+bald head ......

does not equal even a good player. I like him as a winger to be honest, but no where else on the pitch. He doesn't have a good touch, basically houseleague control of the ball, and can't finish if his life depended on it.

Then why is dichio such a great player in the TFC Fans eye? Yea, he got the first goal, but someone had too.

Other then that, he was a sub-par striker. He didnt have a that great of a touch either. I think its just that they each have 2 different bandwagons.

People started loving dichio when he got that first goal. After that, anything great he did was noted, and all the things he did, like not getting the amount of goals that a striker should, was stricken from his record because he is Dichio, and everyone loves him.

Where Barrett, same class as Dichio, but (just like other people have said) he opens up more space for other people to score, and is a bigger threat in our attack.

Again though, I want to re-state, I am not a fan of Barrett. Im just not a fan of everyone being on the Dichio love bandwagon, and the Barrett hate wagon, when they both provide the same on field.

And like some people have mentioned, yea, they are two different types or strikers. Barrett is more of a pest type. He is upfront, to distract defenders, open space, and get goals whenever possible. Dichio was more of a standard striker, that also would play the pest role when needed. Which adds even more to my point. If Dichio is supposed to just score goals, and the pest style striker is able to get more goals/chances, then obviously Dichio isnt as good as all the praise that he has recieved for his on-field performance

koryo
04-17-2010, 10:33 PM
Then why is dichio such a great player in the TFC Fans eye? Yea, he got the first goal, but someone had too.

Other then that, he was a sub-par striker. He didnt have a that great of a touch either. I think its just that they each have 2 different bandwagons.

People started loving dichio when he got that first goal. After that, anything great he did was noted, and all the things he did, like not getting the amount of goals that a striker should, was stricken from his record because he is Dichio, and everyone loves him.

Where Barrett, same class as Dichio, but (just like other people have said) he opens up more space for other people to score, and is a bigger threat in our attack.

Again though, I want to re-state, I am not a fan of Barrett. Im just not a fan of everyone being on the Dichio love bandwagon, and the Barrett hate wagon, when they both provide the same on field.

And like some people have mentioned, yea, they are two different types or strikers. Barrett is more of a pest type. He is upfront, to distract defenders, open space, and get goals whenever possible. Dichio was more of a standard striker, that also would play the pest role when needed. Which adds even more to my point. If Dichio is supposed to just score goals, and the pest style striker is able to get more goals/chances, then obviously Dichio isnt as good as all the praise that he has recieved for his on-field performance

Okay, my time is short here so I'll be blunt: you must be bloody blind.

G'night :)

superstar1976
04-17-2010, 10:34 PM

I agree about Dichio that his following is almost cult-like for scoring that first goal.....but his ability to hold up the ball, was key for our team and usually was the reason why others were able to score. For me, Barrett doesn't have any important qualities (other than hustle) that helps TFC.

Nestease
04-18-2010, 12:11 AM

Danny Dichio is a legend because he fucking played with his heart. This has to be the worst thread i've ever seen. He managed to turn every goal he scored into a legendary moment. He made his goals count.

Stop trying to rewrite history. Danny Dichio didn't have a great touch? Where the fuck were you those first seasons? How many great plays and goals did Danny start with his flick from the side of his boot? How many plays did he start with a flick off the head? You are delusional.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNL50pdMZ1Q#t=1m20s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNL50pdMZ1Q#t=2m31s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNL50pdMZ1Q#t=2m43s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNL50pdMZ1Q#t=4m14s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-NfJCveHdA#t=1m08s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-NfJCveHdA#t=3m12s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-NfJCveHdA#t=4m15s

Only famous because he scored the first goal?

Where were you the day Danny scored with no time left on the last game of the season? You know, that legendary goal from outside the box?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6omFaXXvlJw#t=2m02s

Where were you when Dichio took on 2 defenders, got hauled down, and managed to flick it past the keeper in legendary fashion? You know, the day where he picked up the corner flag like a fucking king.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-NfJCveHdA#t=4m25s

Where were you when Danny Dichio managed to head that ball in and tie the game in the second half and then proceed to boot away the corner flag like a god.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNL50pdMZ1Q#t=3m00s

Where were you when Dichio launched those wonder balls from outside the box into the back of the net?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNL50pdMZ1Q#t=3m20s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6omFaXXvlJw#t=1m13s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-NfJCveHdA#t=2m26s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-NfJCveHdA#t=2m43s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-NfJCveHdA#t=3m22s

Everything Danny Dichio did was magical. I can remember nearly every goal like it was yesterday.

Chad Barrett:
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/1566/320cp24barrettfc.jpg

The King:
http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/3370/dannydichio.jpg

Thread Over.

Carts
04-18-2010, 12:53 AM
I think Barrett will prove the nay-sayers wrong...

He'll bust his ass all season and earn the respect from those who don't beleive...

From playing on the wing, to running in on the attack, to being an out an out striker...

It may not mean goals-a-plenty, but his contribution to the squad will be top class...

Just my two cents...

Carts...

ballerz
04-18-2010, 01:27 AM
Given the condition of our roster, Chad Barrett is a useful player who will always work hard and defend. He is an underrated passer and is as good as a dual feet player as you will get in MLS. Yes, I would like to see him replace but Mo Johnston should fix our fullbacks and wide midfielders first. And if Cann turns out to be a one match wonder, we got to fix the center defence too. Having to play Barrett at striker is the least of my worries right now.

Yohan
04-18-2010, 02:10 AM
yeah... he's not worth 300k but I can't exactly blame him for agreeing to those terms... lol.

I really do feel Barrett will play a big part this season.
Barrett makes 200k. Which is still a lot for MLS salary wise, but no way crazy 300k sounds.

Given the condition of our roster, Chad Barrett is a useful player who will always work hard and defend. He is an underrated passer and is as good as a dual feet player as you will get in MLS. Yes, I would like to see him replace but Mo Johnston should fix our fullbacks and wide midfielders first. And if Cann turns out to be a one match wonder, we got to fix the center defence too. Having to play Barrett at striker is the least of my worries right now.
Barrett also reads the game pretty well, picking out teammates. Esp. DeRo.

Ever since DeRo took Barrett under his wing mid last season, these two have been linking up well. If Preki plays DeRo and Barrett together, I suspect they will both have good seasons.

123 elite
04-18-2010, 08:04 AM
There is some real tosh written on here about Dichio. He was pretty useful at times true but 'everything he did was magical' ???? Give me a break.

nimamalek
04-18-2010, 09:00 AM
Just like Danny Dichio Barrett brings more to a team then goals, as a pure goal scorer they are both shit but they create chances and make other players around them better. He didnt score on Thur but he put OBW through on goal and set Dero up for that gimmie.

Goodfellas FC
04-18-2010, 09:08 AM
Dichio is a legend but not for his strike rate.

Maybe you missed TFC's first 2 seasons?

AdamoTheGreat
04-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Barrett is awful. I'm still waiting for him to proove me otherwise.

canadian_bhoy
04-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Dichio is a legend but not for his strike rate.

Maybe you missed TFC's first 2 seasons?

Dichio was our all-time goal scoring leader until DeRo showed up. That's despite the fact that he got a concussion in year 1 and missed a bunch of games.

Dichio is a legend because of his heart, class and the fact that he could put the ball in the net.

Darlofletch
04-18-2010, 02:27 PM
Danny Dichio is a legend because he fucking played with his heart. This has to be the worst thread i've ever seen. He managed to turn every goal he scored into a legendary moment. He made his goals count.

Stop trying to rewrite history. Danny Dichio didn't have a great touch? Where the fuck were you those first seasons? How many great plays and goals did Danny start with his flick from the side of his boot? How many plays did he start with a flick off the head? You are delusional.

Where were you the day Danny scored with no time left on the last game of the season? You know, that legendary goal from outside the box?

Where were you when Dichio took on 2 defenders, got hauled down, and managed to flick it past the keeper in legendary fashion? You know, the day where he picked up the corner flag like a fucking king.

Where were you when Danny Dichio managed to head that ball in and tie the game in the second half and then proceed to boot away the corner flag like a god.

Where were you when Dichio launched those wonder balls from outside the box into the back of the net?

Everything Danny Dichio did was magical. I can remember nearly every goal like it was yesterday.

Chad Barrett:

The King:

Thread Over.

I don' necessarily disagree with you, and yeah dichio's a legend, but that was the weakest argument ever, and it annoys me when people write "thread over", so i'll bite.

You can say very simlar things about barrett. where were you when he scored that awesome game winning goal against montreal.

where were you when he scored the equaliser against columbus and then ran to the south stand and kissed the badge like a king or a god..

where were you when he scored the game winner against montreal, as well as assisted on two other goals (I seem to remember dichio missing a couple of good chances in that game).

where were you when he ran around san jose's goalie to seal one of our few away wins ever.

everything chad barrett does is magical, i can remember all the goals as if it was yesterday.

see how easy that is.

thread over. (is it? of course it isn't!)

Davenport
04-18-2010, 02:34 PM
I don' necessarily disagree with you, and yeah dichio's a legend, but that was the weakest argument ever, and it annoys me when people write "thread over", so i'll bite.

You can say very simlar things about barrett. where were you when he scored that awesome game winning goal against montreal.

where were you when he scored the equaliser against columbus and then ran to the south stand and kissed the badge like a king or a god..

where were you when he scored the game winner against montreal, as well as assisted on two other goals (I seem to remember dichio missing a couple of good chances in that game).

where were you when he ran around san jose's goalie to seal one of our few away wins ever.

everything chad barrett does is magical, i can remember all the goals as if it was yesterday.

see how easy that is.

thread over. (is it? of course it isn't!)

Answers:

1/ It was against Montreal's reserve team.
2/ Gods and Kings don't kiss badges.
3/ You asked that one already.
4/ Not sure where I was.....but I'm sure it was a brilliant finish.

The reason you can remember these world class moments is that he's had so few of them.

TFC USA
04-18-2010, 02:40 PM
Barrett scored the easiest goal of his life against San Jose, what the fuck kind of argument is that?

CretanBull
04-18-2010, 04:06 PM
Barrett can be our version of Emile Heskey...he doesn't need to score if he makes his strike partner better, before we judge him we have to see him play with someone who can finish.

Darlofletch
04-18-2010, 06:21 PM
Barrett scored the easiest goal of his life against San Jose, what the fuck kind of argument is that?

It was absolutely a weak argument, purposely so as I was just trying to highlight how weak the same argument used in dichio's favour was. so thanks, I guess I proved my point.

Darlofletch
04-18-2010, 06:24 PM
Answers:

1/ It was against Montreal's reserve team.
2/ Gods and Kings don't kiss badges.
3/ You asked that one already.
4/ Not sure where I was.....but I'm sure it was a brilliant finish.

The reason you can remember these world class moments is that he's had so few of them.

1, no it wasn't i was refrerring to the home game last year, the really fucking cool volley from outside the box.
2 and raising or kicking flags does make you a king or a god?
3, no i didn't, see response 1. and how did dichio do with his chances in that game?

again, i was just trying to prove how weak the dichio argument that apparently should have closed the thread was.

Pachuco
04-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Barrett had a really solid hour today. We lost our attacking threat as soon as he went off.

Wagner
04-30-2010, 10:17 AM
I'm coming around on Barrett.
I think his goal vs. MTL might have broken the ice...and he will hopefully go on a little streak.

Yeoman
04-30-2010, 10:21 AM
he's been WAY more agressive and willing with the ball this year that's for sure.
he's going to happen. give him time.

McBrace
04-30-2010, 10:24 AM
I think he would have had two if OBW, laid that one off to him.. OBW had two defenders sucked in and Barrett was all alone...Shame, I would have liked to see him get the brace.

Darlofletch
04-30-2010, 10:29 AM
I'm coming around on Barrett.
I think his goal vs. MTL might have broken the ice...and he will hopefully go on a little streak.

I've thought that so many times about barrett, and it never quite seems to happen

I hope you're right, and even if you're not i still like barrett, he works really hard, creates chances, but I can't see him ever becoming a big goalscorer.

I really really hope it happens, but depending on how much he plays this year, he'll be a 5-10 goal scorer again, whicle also contributing in other ways.

Suds
04-30-2010, 10:30 AM
I think most people have no problem with Barrett's work rate, that he works for the team, and that fact he runs down every ball even if it was a totally shit pass from a teammate.

But if he is to be considered a good striker he needs to convert a higher percentage of his opportunities. (and he's had some glorious misses) Preki has said he thinks it's a mental thing for Chad and he's working with him on that. I sure hope he is right because we need goals out of this kid.

So, I'm definitely not in the Chad sucks club. He has many positives to work with. If he starts to convert more of his chances we will have a solid MLS player on our team. And that's not a bad thing.

Oldtimer
04-30-2010, 10:31 AM
There is only one Danny Dichio, he is a legend and will continue to be so.

That being said, I agree that Barrett is under-rated. He actually does a lot for the team in many games. As far as scoring, he is capable of being one of the top scorers in the league, should Preki be able to help him get over his mental block. Cunningham had a mental block when he played for TFC and gave up trying (which was infuriating). He was able to resurrect his career when he went to a coach that helped him overcome that block.

Razor
04-30-2010, 10:31 AM
I think he would have had two if OBW, laid that one off to him.. OBW had two defenders sucked in and Barrett was all alone...Shame, I would have liked to see him get the brace.

I felt bad for Chad on that one. OBW sends his shot into outer space when he could have easily dished it off to Chad who was all alone.

Did you see Chads reaction? :D I'd be pissed to.

Yeoman
04-30-2010, 10:33 AM
i still don't get how you guys don't have this fapping for barrett, considering he did put the goal that gave us the cup last year you know?

Suds
04-30-2010, 10:35 AM
i still don't get how you guys don't have this fapping for barrett, considering he did put the goal that gave us the cup last year you know?

we are Toronto sports fans .... we always need a whipping boy on our teams

right now it seems we have two (for some people) .. can we all just agree we hate Landon Donovan and put all out hate on him :D

Yeoman
04-30-2010, 10:37 AM
i'm totally all for that
i just wish he was coming here, so i can yell if he remembers me calling him a cunt in berlin last year (he did look directly at me he has to! lol)

stugautz
04-30-2010, 11:49 AM
Barrett also has a nice touch when crossing the ball. He does the little things very well.

McBrace
04-30-2010, 11:58 AM
I felt bad for Chad on that one. OBW sends his shot into outer space when he could have easily dished it off to Chad who was all alone.

Did you see Chads reaction? :D I'd be pissed to.

Yes I did, and he had every right to be pissed..

torontocelt
04-30-2010, 12:22 PM

How do you attempt to compare two players who have a totally different style and role in the team? If all you are basing it on is that they both play as strikers then yes you can make a comparison on goals scored however it is ridiculous to compare them on that alone. Yes they might both play up front but they have completely different skills and roles within the team.

Danny was a target man, designed to hold up the ball, allow midfielders etc to move up the park and provide an outlay for long high balls. His strengths were his power, ability not to get knocked off the ball, lay offs for his fellow strikers, retaining possession, providing height at set pieces and generally using his size to be a nuisance and rough up the centre backs.

Chad's game is completely different. It is more speed based, running into space, dragging centre backs out of position, running onto through balls etc.

Each of them have their own strengths and weaknesses and each of them bring completely different attributes to the team. It is also worth remembering that Dichio's game would be so much more than scoring, by rights it is usually the smaller player who scores more than his large partner, this is normally because the larger player is utilizing his size to provide openings for the smaller striker.

If you insist on wanting to compare them based solely on scoring goals, no matter how wrong I think that is, then I would most definitely put my money on Danny as being a better finisher than Chad Barret.

Waggy
04-30-2010, 12:38 PM
we are Toronto sports fans .... we always need a whipping boy on our teams

right now it seems we have two (for some people) .. can we all just agree we hate Landon Donovan and put all out hate on him :D

If we had good teams, there would be no need for a whipping boy. Unless some brilliant coach/gm combo decides to continue playing an Aki Berg equivalent inexplicably. I stand by my Berg hatred.

trane
04-30-2010, 01:26 PM

Chad Barrett:

The King:

Thread Over.

Every time I think of this I get a bit sad. Still our best player, played too little retired to early. I wish to have seen one season were he played at almost full season, and led us to the playoffs.

trane
04-30-2010, 01:30 PM
I have had this argument for two years, YES barrett is a good player for us, NO he is not a good striker. How can people still hope that he turns it around, how much time does he need? Seriously? You all dedided that Gerba was bust after playing hardly at all, but Barret he will turn it around. I have to wonder why??

[again like Koryo I belive in him as a winger]

Oldtimer
04-30-2010, 01:35 PM
You'll see him shine if he plays alongside a true goal-poacher.

trane
04-30-2010, 01:47 PM
^ In terms of goal scoring?

KRO
04-30-2010, 02:38 PM
You all dedided that Gerba was bust after playing hardly at all, but Barret he will turn it around. I have to wonder why??

Because Barrett works hard, creates space for other people and seems to care. Most fans can see that and cut him some slack for his memorable misses.

Despite all the love he was giving TFC in the interview last week it did not look as if Gerba could be bothered when he was on the field.

ag futbol
04-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Work rate is great. Work rate when you're the guy who's supposed to be putting the ball in the net is irrelevant. There are some really f'n lazy strikers out there, but they are allowed to be that because they are clinical when they get the ball. More than any other position on the field, it really is all results.

So given that he's had the same act going ever since he was in Chicago, it would seem Chad's future is either as a winger or a backup striker.

This is just the same argument re-hashed once every six months. Hell, he could have a Connor Casey like breakout, but the kid's been around the league a while now. Time prove he can be the guy up front is running thin. He'll always be MLS quality, but as a starting striker? there aren't too many other teams that would be itching to give him that role.

Roogsy
04-30-2010, 02:45 PM

He'll bust his ass all season and earn the respect from those who don't beleive...

From playing on the wing, to running in on the attack, to being an out an out striker...

It may not mean goals-a-plenty, but his contribution to the squad will be top class...

Just my two cents...

Carts...

I don't know about that.

He's had two season to do this and hasn't. At this point, he would have to catch on real fire to undo the pain we've endured from him for many, many games.

That being said, I believe he is serviceable as a depth player. But a starter? No way.

scooter
04-30-2010, 03:02 PM

Just my two cents...

Carts...

you are right sir

hopefully that cracker of a goal on wednesday will help boost his confidence and things will turn around from here

the man needs us to cheer from him this weeks project should be to think up a chant for him then supporters could egg him on to victory

scooter
04-30-2010, 03:12 PM
I've thought that so many times about barrett, and it never quite seems to happen

I hope you're right, and even if you're not i still like barrett, he works really hard, creates chances, but I can't see him ever becoming a big goalscorer.

I really really hope it happens, but depending on how much he plays this year, he'll be a 5-10 goal scorer again, whicle also contributing in other ways.

lets give him time to gel with our boys
sure as shit if we trade him he will haunt us like another tfc reject:picard:

dont even say the "c" word or the td word

grizzle
04-30-2010, 03:24 PM
My thoughts on Barrett...

Sure, he works hard, but lets be honest here. When he blows a shot (which usually happens several times when he is on the field), he really blows it (ie. kicking the ball like 20 feet off target).

I'll give him the benefit on tha goal against MTL. He looked great getting around those players, but would that fly against better players? Also, if he was another 10 feet out would he still manage to hit that big ass net? All questions that I don't think anyone can confidently answer about Barrett.

I think he puts way too much pressure on himself to do well to the point that it has become his ultimate downfall. He is way too emotional and until he gets that in check we are going to see the same crap from him all season.

As for OP even though Barrett has less games than Danny he might even have more minutes. Basing the score rate should be more on minutes than starts as at the end Danny wasn't really putting in entire games due to his age.

ManUtd4ever
04-30-2010, 03:28 PM
The key with Barrett has always been consistency. We have all seen him score world class goals on occasion and misfire on routine chances. I have no doubt that he has the ability to be a competent striker as well as a playmaker in a starting role. Due to the lack of depth on our squad this season, Barrett has the opportunity to seize the moment and assert himself as the number one striker option. Let's hope he takes advantage of it...

KdotOdot
04-30-2010, 03:29 PM
"If you ain't ain't down with Chad B..motherfucker...you can eat the dick cookie!"

- KRS One

T.O TILL I DIE
04-30-2010, 03:45 PM
"If you ain't ain't down with Chad B..motherfucker...you can eat the dick cookie!"

- KRS One

:leaving: your a scary one lol

[NBF]
04-30-2010, 04:13 PM
WTF!

Yous guys do this every single fuckin time. Chad Barrett scores a goal against a team he should be scoring on and all of a sudden you think maybe he's turned a corner. There's nothing worse than when your striker only scores in the league once a month.

Chad Barrett:

The Good:
- He is decent with the ball.
- He has good power striking the ball.
- Decent positioning on the field.
- Finishing, is not great, but barely good enough.
- Good aggression and always in persuit. Tracks back to help the team in defense.
- Good in heading the ball.
- Good balance, rarely gets knocked off the ball.
- Good mobility and agile.

The Bad:
- Rarely scores in succession. Like I said before 1 goal per month. Nowhere near Rooney-like.
- Has a serious problem with stamina, since joining MLS. He won't last past 65 mins.
- No acccuracy in his shots. Constantly places shots 3-5 feet off the frame of the goal.
- He has a hard time finding space. Has a problem shedding defenders.
- Has confidence problems at times and will put his head down for good portions of the game.
- Dribbling skills is good enough for MLS, but should be better to be a top striker.
- His passing skills are marginal.
- He doesnt push the ball forward, due to a lack of dribbling, positioning, and passing.
- His crossing is shit.

The point that needs to be made is that Chad Barrett is an excellent bench player to bring on during 70th minute of a game. Kinda like a Ole Gunner Solkjeir type of player. On his best day he might be a good 2nd striker but a feature striker he is not. His best role is of Striker #3 or backup Left/Right Winger. Dont even think that he would make a good attacking midfielder.

MarkoftheDrink
04-30-2010, 06:06 PM
Just saw the post game presser with Preki and Chad seems like he's still a boy, seems anxious. I think when he grows up he has the qualities to be a really solid MLS striker (as described above by NBF). He desperately needs a good season under his belt. I think the chaos surrounding him on TFC has hurt his development in terms of his confidence. If we really see this team turn around and become a 'team' I think Chad will come around. If we're lucky it'll be this year if not next. If that doesn't happen IMO he's likely a career backup.

trane
04-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Dudes, Pato is 20, Balotelli is 19, Bojan and Mecheda are somewere around that age. Age is an issue but should not be such a big issue.

CretanBull
04-30-2010, 06:47 PM
Dudes, Pato is 20, Balotelli is 19, Bojan and Mecheda are somewere around that age. Age is an issue but should not be such a big issue.

But what have they ever done?

Oh...

:o

Bloor West FC
04-30-2010, 06:56 PM
Chad Barrett rocks! I say that all the time and everybody in 111 attacks me. :(
But I am still getting his jersey soon!

nfitz
04-30-2010, 07:22 PM
If Barrett could just score a few more of this shots, then perhaps people would let up a bit.

It was a great goal, but frankly until that point, he seemed to have 2 left feet on Wednesday - though that isn't typical for him.

He's young, has potential ... perhaps this will be his year. I'm not sure we have much to loose by playing him frequently at this point.

Nerepis
04-30-2010, 07:42 PM
I've always be a huge fan of Chad's work rate but the problem he seems to have is rushing his shot. The goal against Montreal he seemed to slow things down, he showed little patience, found half a yard and struck a beauty. He's not a striker, but if he gets out of his own head there will be more to come. He's the James Brown of TFC, "The Hardest Working Man in Show Business"

FluSH
04-30-2010, 07:59 PM

First of all: I support Chad Barrett and I think there is a spot for him in the starting 11.

Now unto your comparison to Dichio... You have tunnel vision... to grab one stat and compare it against another without looking at the over all picture....

Why was Tie Domi loved so much in Toronto? Was it because of his goals? What about Charles Oakley? Please tell me...

I like Barrett and all but you're posting like you slept with him last night...

Shakes McQueen
04-30-2010, 08:17 PM
I think Barrett is probably one of the most "complete" players on our roster - by which I mean he works hard, has no problem tracking back, has pretty good control, has pretty good passing skills, makes pretty good off-the-ball runs, etc.

If he could put chances in the back of the net regularly, I suspect he'd be playing at the equivalent of Championship or League 1 level in Europe.

The thing I loved about Chad's goal the other night against Montreal, is that he didn't just hammer the ball - he worked the defenders laterally to get centered in front of the goal, and then calmly put it in.

He has a good head on his shoulders - just needs to get in his inner zen garden more often when presented with these opportunities. And unlike a Gerba, even when Chad isn't scoring goals, he brings other great qualities to our lineup.

I like what I see with him under Preki so far though.

- Scott

felipe
04-30-2010, 09:14 PM
Chad is likely our best player after DeRo and JDG.and Frei
I don't understand why some supporters don't like him - what's not to like?
I disagree vehemently with NBF - chad is excellent at finding space, makes excellent passes, and creates loads of space for his teammates - trust me, they appreciate all he does..

DOMIN8R
04-30-2010, 09:20 PM
Like the effort. Like the guy.

I could easily tip towards being a passionate advocate for the guy but he sulks/whines/blames too much when opportunities are unrealized. If he could check the post trauma; public opinion would skyrocket.

Just my 0.02.

The K-Man!
04-30-2010, 09:40 PM
Chad is likely our best player after DeRo and JDG.and Frei
I don't understand why some supporters don't like him - what's not to like?
I disagree vehemently with NBF - chad is excellent at finding space, makes excellent passes, and creates loads of space for his teammates - trust me, they appreciate all he does..

Chad is our fourth best player???? Oh boy. No sure what games you've been watching to come to that conclusion...

ExiledRed
04-30-2010, 10:34 PM
He's overpaid, and his contract has hindered this team, and put better players on the bench. that goal against Montreal shouldnt be a fluke at that salary, and this is his last chance to prove it wasnt a fluke. Im guessing he's in for another drought, but I hope he proves me wrong, because lord knows they love to play the guy.

I watched him sky that ball or otherwise miss the target, every time in the pre game practise, even with DeRo placing the ball at his feet, fucking ten yards out. Frei should have been bitching that he needed some practise too, because Barrett wasnt working him at all. He missed a few howlers too, and I cant blame White for not passing the ball to him in space on that chance. Also, Barrett should never have taken that free kick, that was poor judgement.

In all fairness though, he scored one of his best goals, (he scored a better one against montreal before, which didnt 'break the ice') and like I said, if he can do that more often I'll be happy. But Im not holding my breath, historically that was his one in twenty, and itll be a while before he finds the net again.

habstfc
05-01-2010, 12:22 AM
Why is it that anyone that defends barrett always brings up his workrate. Your going to give him extra points for working hard..that's what he's supposed to do. If you're not scoring goals as a striker you better be working your effing ass off. It's kind of a silly argument in defending him in saying well at least he works hard, is good on the ball etc. your main job as a striker is to score goals plain and simple. if your not scoring goals than maybe he shouldn't be in the starting lineup or be played on the wing where his speed could be put to use.

Comparing him to dichio is a valid argument but I'd be interested to see what their strike rate is in minutes played, not games played. I may be wrong but I'll bet ya he's played way more minutes than dichio has.

As my brother said at the seattle game after yet another miss" Barrett never misses an opportunity, to miss an opportunity"

AdamoTheGreat
05-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Chads last goal was the first real spark I've seen from him this season and I hope he keeps that up...I'm willing to leave the past in the past if he steps it up this season.

spinx
05-01-2010, 01:08 PM
with Bosh leaving Toronto... maybe it's time for us to have CB19 signs!!!!

:rofl:

ParadymeTFC
05-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Why is it that anyone that defends barrett always brings up his workrate. Your going to give him extra points for working hard..that's what he's supposed to do. If you're not scoring goals as a striker you better be working your effing ass off. It's kind of a silly argument in defending him in saying well at least he works hard, is good on the ball etc. your main job as a striker is to score goals plain and simple. if your not scoring goals than maybe he shouldn't be in the starting lineup or be played on the wing where his speed could be put to use.

Comparing him to dichio is a valid argument but I'd be interested to see what their strike rate is in minutes played, not games played. I may be wrong but I'll bet ya he's played way more minutes than dichio has.

As my brother said at the seattle game after yet another miss" Barrett never misses an opportunity, to miss an opportunity"

Well when your 1 of 2 players on the team that actually does it, its worth noting.

ensco
05-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Work rate is overrated. Braz hustled every minute he played here.

The fear that he'll score 12 or 15 for someone else (a la Buddle or Cunningham) next year is clouding our judgment.

I'd move on if I were Preki (or Mo or Anselmi or whoever will make this call).

Beach_Red
05-01-2010, 02:10 PM
He's overpaid, and his contract has hindered this team, and put better players on the bench. that goal against Montreal shouldnt be a fluke at that salary, and this is his last chance to prove it wasnt a fluke. Im guessing he's in for another drought, but I hope he proves me wrong, because lord knows they love to play the guy.

This is one of the main reasons why people complain it's a problem to have the manager and the player - both sides of the negotitation - represented by the same agent.

Blizzard
05-01-2010, 03:44 PM
This is one of the main reasons why people complain it's a problem to have the manager and the player - both sides of the negotitation - represented by the same agent.

So, are you saying that Mo tells Preki who to play?

Beach_Red
05-01-2010, 07:35 PM
So, are you saying that Mo tells Preki who to play?

No, I'm saying it looks like they all work for the same company and we have no idea who' really in charge.

Shakes McQueen
05-01-2010, 07:43 PM
No, I'm saying it looks like they all work for the same company and we have no idea who' really in charge.

They don't work for their player agency. All of this First Wave stuff is getting a little too tin foil hattish for me.

- Scott

razor787
05-01-2010, 07:44 PM
So, are you saying that Mo tells Preki who to play? Who else is Preki going to play? White isnt even as good as Barrett, Ibrahim is young, and is still developing, and is a couple years off of a starting role. Playing DeRo as striker is alright, but im not a fan of playign a lone striker, the goals dont come as often, and soon enough teams will realize that he is our only threat, and close all passing lanes to him.

Barrett is needed as a striker, since out of the shit piles we have (before you start, I never said I liked barrett, just to cut the kid some slack) he is the best one, naturally he is going to be chosen. We simply dont have anyone better.

jazzy
05-01-2010, 08:07 PM
We'll see what Barrett's made of now......striking tonight with no help

Blixa
05-01-2010, 08:10 PM
I don't think he'll see much of the ball tonight.

DoubleUp
05-02-2010, 04:20 AM
Barrett has another half season imo.

Roca
05-02-2010, 06:06 AM
The TFC called him "Wade" Barrett on its official web site. That must tell us something...

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/05/trouble-rio-tinto

razor787
05-02-2010, 12:39 PM
The TFC called him "Wade" Barrett on its official web site. That must tell us something...

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/05/trouble-rio-tinto

:picard:

Wull
05-02-2010, 05:42 PM
Honestly, seeing him with the captain's armband last night was the lowest point in TFC history for me. If that's our third best leader in the dressing room (number two being a lazy, moody shit) then we're in even more trouble than I thought

FluSH
05-02-2010, 06:00 PM
Honestly, seeing him with the captain's armband last night was the lowest point in TFC history for me. If that's our third best leader in the dressing room (number two being a lazy, moody shit) then we're in even more trouble than I thought

lol

When I saw that armband on Barrett it felt like seeing my wife with another man... I was disgusted.

I like Barrrett and all but...

I felt it should have gone to Frei before Barrett.

T0R0NT0 FC
05-02-2010, 07:00 PM
lol

When I saw that armband on Barrett it felt like seeing my wife with another man... I was disgusted.

DEFINITELY!!! :picard:

torontocelt
05-02-2010, 07:22 PM
lol

It is hard for a keeper to be captain as they are so far back the pitch. He is also a rookie. I personally think the armband should go to a CB or a midfielder unless you have a striker who is prolific like Shearer for example.

supersaint
05-02-2010, 07:56 PM
Chad scored a cracker against Montreal, he works hard, and really wants the team to win. If his finishing was to improve he would be pretty useful at this level. Prefer him laying the ball off rather than being an out and out striker. Having said that, a couple of goals to boost his confidence and who knows.

ExiledRed
05-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Chad scored a cracker against Montreal, he works hard, and really wants the team to win. If his finishing was to improve he would be pretty useful at this level. Prefer him laying the ball off rather than being an out and out striker. Having said that, a couple of goals to boost his confidence and who knows.

a couple of goals to boost his confidence....

jesus man, have you been watching this guy since he came on board?

who knows? I know, the whole fanbase should know by now. I've seen him bag a couple of goals, and it does shit for his overall accuracy. How can someone be 'breaking the ice' EVERY time he scores?

His confidence is definitely a problem, the kid is OVERconfident, judging by the way he bitches at better players and he probably thought he deserved that armband.

Pachuco
05-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Personally, Barrett has been one of our best players this season while he's been healthy. He's outplayed Deguz if you ask me.

Heathen
05-02-2010, 08:25 PM
lol

I caught the game late and was wondering who was captain without De Ro and JDG, I thought Nana, maybe Frei but Barrett!!!

ExiledRed
05-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Personally, Barrett has been one of our best players this season while he's been healthy. He's outplayed Deguz if you ask me.

Without getting into the Deguzman debacle.

Barrett's paid to be one of our best players. He's also supposed to score goals. He doesn't know where the goal is unless were playing USL teams, and the quality of his play doesnt justify that paycheque or that contract.

Also, watching this team, Its like everybody is bending over backwards to help Chad score, including DeRo who seems to think its a good idea to let Barrett take free kicks.

He shouldn't need help beyond the normal flow of the game, and I'm sick of chances being wasted to help him 'gain confidence' and better players being resigned or benched so he can keep trying to make good on his contract.

Shakes McQueen
05-02-2010, 10:29 PM

I agree. Aside from DeRo, I'd go so far as to say Barrett has been our most consistent player in the games he has started.

I was also fine with giving Barrett the arm band. Preki was clearly impressed with Barrett's work ethic, and his strong performances on the pitch. Perhaps this was simply a reward for his hard work, to see what he did with the responsibility.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
05-02-2010, 10:37 PM

Barrett's paid to be one of our best players. He's also supposed to score goals. He doesn't know where the goal is unless were playing USL teams, and the quality of his play doesnt justify that paycheque or that contract.

Also, watching this team, Its like everybody is bending over backwards to help Chad score, including DeRo who seems to think its a good idea to let Barrett take free kicks.

He shouldn't need help beyond the normal flow of the game, and I'm sick of chances being wasted to help him 'gain confidence' and better players being resigned or benched so he can keep trying to make good on his contract.

His contract is irrelevant. Blame Mo for that, not Chad.

I also think your assessment of people "bending over backwards" to help him score is unfair. Barrett handed DeRo a sure goal that he botched by going offside in the Philly game, and he also sent DeRo in on at least one good chance (that I can remember) against RSL yesterday. Yet we (rightly) don't make assertions that peopel are bending over backwards to get DeRo goals.

I also haven't actually seen Barrett miss very many clear scoring chances this season. He has looked as dangerous as anyone, when given the opportunity.

I wish Mo would bring in a proven striker for Chad to complement, because I think in a secondary striker role, the positives he brings to our lineup would become more clear.

- Scott

trane
05-03-2010, 09:45 AM

AGREED 100%.

Pachuco
05-03-2010, 09:58 AM

I'd be interested in knowing who these better players are that have been resigned or benched?

Steve
05-03-2010, 10:00 AM

I see comments like this constantly, and really don't understand them. See, what many people don't seem to get, is that one of Chad's greatest strengths is movement off the ball. He doesn't get good chances because "other people are bending over backwards for him" he gets them because he can read the game really well, and knows where to be, and when to be there. Honestly, I don't know how anyone can disagree with that. Now, we all know that he has had difficulty putting the ball away, we can agree on that, but the reason he has so many chances to put it away is because of his own hard work and positioning.

Also, as a side note, from a couple of his chances on Sat, he's got a ridiculously quick shot. Sure, one of his shots was from too far out to be too effective, but he has great power, and a quick trigger, when he wants to. I was just watching him with the ball and all of a sudden it's flying towards the net. He needs to do more of that, try to catch the keeper off guard.

trane
05-03-2010, 10:08 AM
I'd be interested in knowing who these better players are that have been resigned or benched?

Ali Gerba is a better striker as per track record then Barret, as much as you do not like him for eating the pies, and Dichio was clearly the better player then Barret was, and he hardly played last year.

trane
05-03-2010, 10:11 AM
I see comments like this constantly, and really don't understand them. See, what many people don't seem to get, is that one of Chad's greatest strengths is movement off the ball. He doesn't get good chances because "other people are bending over backwards for him" he gets them because he can read the game really well, and knows where to be, and when to be there. Honestly, I don't know how anyone can disagree with that. Now, we all know that he has had difficulty putting the ball away, we can agree on that, but the reason he has so many chances to put it away is because of his own hard work and positioning.

Also, as a side note, from a couple of his chances on Sat, he's got a ridiculously quick shot. Sure, one of his shots was from too far out to be too effective, but he has great power, and a quick trigger, when he wants to. I was just watching him with the ball and all of a sudden it's flying towards the net. He needs to do more of that, try to catch the keeper off guard.

Sorry, I am no Barret hater, but I have to laugh a little at your evaluation of Barret, if he had half the attributes you give to him HE WOULD BE OUR TOP SCORER, but he does not have them. He works hard, he runs into space, he move. Those are his attributes, he does NOT have a quick triggger, he does not have great vision, his shot is strong BUT is not a cannon but rather a home made pipe bomb.

Steve
05-03-2010, 10:16 AM
Sorry, I am no Barret hater, but I have to laugh a little at your evaluation of Barret, if he had half the attributes you give to him HE WOULD BE OUR TOP SCORER, but he does not have them. He works hard, he runs into space, he move. Those are his attributes, he does NOT have a quick triggger, he does not have great vision, his shot is strong BUT is not a cannon but rather a home made pipe bomb.

No, he has a quick trigger (physically, not mentally), and he has a hard shot, what he doesn't have is confidence, accuracy, and a nose for goal. Some of his goals have showed how he has a pretty fucking hard shot, but again, he has trouble hitting the net. So, no, the attributes I give him don't make him our top scorer because they don't make him hit the bloody net.

trane
05-03-2010, 10:20 AM
^ You also say he has vision. He does not he ends up in good position to time to time due to his hustle. Yes when he decides to shot it is fast, but I believe that the right Mental make up is ultimatly what makes a striker. He simply does not have it.

Pachuco
05-03-2010, 10:20 AM
Ali Gerba is a better striker as per track record then Barret, as much as you do not like him for eating the pies, and Dichio was clearly the better player then Barret was, and he hardly played last year.

Ammm...two coaches thought Ali Gerba was useless. Sorry buddy, not with you at all on that one. Dichio and Barrett don't have anything in common, if he wasn't playing, it was because of the tactics, not because one is better then the other.

Back to the point at hand, Barrett is one of the best players on this team right now. Without him we'd be royally fucked.

trane
05-03-2010, 10:26 AM
^ Two MLS coaches did not use, Ali at all. Cummins in his own admission did not use Ali because he came in hurt, the other did not like him because in his mind he did not work hard.

No Barret and Dichio had nothing in common, Dichio was a proven target man striker, and no it was not simple tactics, someone decided that the team would be better playing with Barret ratether then Dichio, the record shows that they were clearly wrong. We were never better then when Dichio played. NO matter what you may think of him.

I have not said something, that was on my mind. PEOPLE like Barrett becuase he is a young WHITE north American who works hard, so people want him to succe they believe that Rooney shit. Barret is not a bad player, BUT he does not have the instinct of a striker nor the skills of a central mid. so that makes him as much a problem as a solution.

Pachuco
05-03-2010, 10:30 AM
^ Two MLS coaches did not use, Ali at all. Cummins in his own admission did not use Ali because he came in hurt, the other did not like him because in his mind he did not work hard.

No Barret and Dichio had nothing in common, Dichio was a proven target man striker, and no it was not simple tactics, someone decided that the team would be better playing with Barret ratether then Dichio, the record shows that they were clearly wrong. We were never better then when Dichio played. NO matter what you may think of him.

I have not said something, that was on my mind. PEOPLE like Barrett becuase he is a young WHITE north American who works hard, so people want him to succe they believe that Rooney shit. Barret is not a bad player, BUT he does not have the instinct of a striker nor the skills of a central mid. so that makes him as much a problem as a solution.

WTF? I like Barrett cause he's WHITE and north american who works hard? what about my board name tells you I think that way? I have a love fest for Guevara and I'll admit that I'm biased because he plays the style of play I enjoy watching. That's far from Barretts abilities. Sorry Trane, this has to go down as one of the most close minded posts I have ever seen you post.

trane
05-03-2010, 10:36 AM
^ No man that is the reality, it is not you, but I have to conclude that is why such an average player gets so much love and good will after underperforming for over two years. You may not like it but I suspect that it is true.

Again I do not hate him, but this waiting for him to become a top striker is bull.

Pachuco
05-03-2010, 10:39 AM
^ No man that is the reality, it is not you, but I have to conclude that is why such an average player gets so much love and good will after underperforming for over two years. You may not like it but I suspect that it is true.

Again I do not hate him, but this waiting for him to become a top striker is bull.

I'm not waiting for him to become a top striker, I'm waiting for him to become a top winger who can take people on and create opportunities for others. If you look at it from that perspective, I think he's done his job this year. Most people agree at this point that Barrett isn't a natural goal scorer, but that doesn't mean he can't be used or that he isn't valuable to this team. I'm waiting for OBW to become a top striker, because besides scoring goals, I don't see OBW contributing in any other way. He, unlike Barrett has the qualities of being a pure out and out striker. But he couldn't play any other position if his life depended on it.

trane
05-03-2010, 10:47 AM
^ You know that I agree with that, again I was not talking about you waiting for him to become a top striker but that view in particular. It is getting old. I think he can be a very good winger.

Beach_Red
05-03-2010, 11:13 AM

Being American in a league that requires most of the roster to be American is a factor, for sure.

But if people want Barrett to succeed because he's white they've seriously misread American sports. The most popular sports are the ones whose top athletes are African-American - basketball and the NFL really only became massively popular when they became mostly African-American. If people wanted white stars hockey would be number one in the US. Baseball's popularity is sinking just as te number of African-American players is going down. Coincidence?

Even golf is more popular if it has an African-Ameican star.

Okay, we're kidding around, but the next step for soccer in the US is for it to move past the white suburbs and into African-American culture.

trane
05-03-2010, 11:28 AM
^ But people tend do give players they can relate to on a personal basis more of a chance. Somehow people are relatign to barrett in a way they did not with Cunny for example. I did not want to make it about race, put people clearly have given him alot of rope.

JonO
05-03-2010, 11:33 AM
The reason barrett get's more leeway is simple: He genuinely seems to care/hustle more than Cunny ever did. I don't think anyone here will argue that...

trane
05-03-2010, 11:37 AM
^ Agreed, but two years later people are still wating for that one game that will turn it around for him. Lombardo hustled and cared as well. He was run out and hated by supporters.

I still want him to suceed, but he is not our future at strikers.

T_Mizz
05-06-2010, 03:47 PM
I have no clue what it is about Barrett in BMO against Montreal but remember that sweet goal in last years' tourney, everyone in my section was simultaneously erupting and speechless. And this year's goal was pretty good too, can't wait til next year, until then though maybe Barrett does belong on the bench.

J .
05-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Cunny just sulked in Toronto and played his way out of town.

Barrett has worked hard and definately is looking like he is improving. I dont think he has received proper coaching until Preki arrived. I've noticed his skills are improving and I would bet on Barrett putting ten in this year if he keeps starting. I'm not saying he is an All Star but he has the work rate and pace, which in MLS is important.

Definately a player worth keeping, I dont think he will be a top striker, but as a 2nd or 3rd, I definately like him.