PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Saturday,Apr.17

denime
04-17-2010, 05:31 AM
Mornin'

TFC's mountainous task (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/04/16/13620436.html)

Mo signs a go again (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/04/16/13620431.html)

Sign of the times for TFC’s Mo Johnston (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/796758--young-sign-of-the-times-for-tfc-s-mo-johnston)

Canada begins building towards 2014 (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/canada-begins-building-towards-2014/article1537327/)

CSA announces friendly dates (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/04/16/13614861.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

London
04-17-2010, 06:17 AM
it is snowing here!!!

WTF it was 25 degrees here yesterday

scooter
04-17-2010, 06:44 AM
its snowing in richmond hill too

what about burlington

mornin d

Tim
04-17-2010, 06:59 AM
no snow in burlington!

Petor
04-17-2010, 07:17 AM
it is snowing here!!!

WTF it was 25 degrees here yesterday

There is no match today, he did enough yesterday, weather wise and on the pitch. :scarf:

MrHawk
04-17-2010, 07:21 AM
its snowing in richmond hill too

what about burlington

mornin d

Just friggin cold here.

CretanBull
04-17-2010, 08:08 AM
I hope the CSA doesn't book a 'visiting' team at BMO vs. Canada that it markets as a 'home' game for our opposition the way it did last time vs. Jamaica. It would be nice to see them try to sell the game as a Canada game to Canada supporters.

koryo
04-17-2010, 08:47 AM
I hope the CSA doesn't book a 'visiting' team at BMO vs. Canada that it markets as a 'home' game for our opposition the way it did last time vs. Jamaica. It would be nice to see them try to sell the game as a Canada game to Canada supporters.

You would think so, but I don't see the CSA being so sensible.

Pigfynn
04-17-2010, 08:53 AM
Footy blog says it's Honduras in T.O

Gazza
04-17-2010, 08:55 AM
When you open the Sun today, try not to stare too much, the SSG is my gran!

Chevy
04-17-2010, 09:31 AM

I can't help it. Did you find the guy that busted up your Gran's face? :D

Gazza
04-17-2010, 09:32 AM
I can't help it. Did you find the guy that busted up your Gran's face? :D

That's a low blow haha

Carts
04-17-2010, 09:40 AM

Wow, at first I though "MILF"... Now I realize its a "GILF"... <3

Seriously though, at 41 she's in incredible shape - there's alot of 20 year olds that want her body...

Carts...

crofty
04-17-2010, 09:42 AM
best quote:

"the actual list of prohibited items, published on the club’s website, mentions among other things “large flags, banners and drums” and anything deemed “offensive”, which, come to think of it, finally explains their longtime hole at striker"

J .
04-17-2010, 09:51 AM
I wish the CSA would be fucking fired. I hate those idiots.

CretanBull
04-17-2010, 10:12 AM
^At least they are scheduling games...that's a (baby) step in the right direction.

Alonso
04-17-2010, 10:18 AM

Well there is no way in hell she's 41 then, unless you're 9 years old and your mother was 16 when she had you and your gran was 16 when she had your mother.

How old are you?

Besides the age lie, she seems really nice though...:D

Oldtimer
04-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Good to see the media scrutiny.

kdzb
04-17-2010, 10:48 AM
I'm so happy that the press is siding with the fans and putting pressure on MLSE...
At least they realized that we support our team faithfully but we don't accept mediocrity.
MLSE, you can have all the profits you want as long as you deliver a good product on the pitch and don't think that we are just following blindly.

:scarf:

TFCRegina
04-17-2010, 10:55 AM

Sad thing is...she looks better than half the SSGs we get...although recently, we've had a good run with SSGs, so she only looks better than 1/3 of them.:facepalm:

DichioTFC
04-17-2010, 11:01 AM
Good to see the media scrutiny.

at the same time though, F%*$ Chris Young of the Toronto Star:

As long as they’re in their seats as paying customers and not doing something truly protestant — like, just saying, a boycott — you grit and bear it, all the way to the bank.

Stirring the pot with the fans so he can have better material to write about and The Star can sell more papers. Not even The Sun did that.

F Chris Young. You want to report on something? How about report on the players before / after the game instead of some management BS. Report on training. Report on injuries. Report on game strategy. Give people a detailed analysis of what we can expect in the upcoming game on Sunday. I know people will argue that it helps the cause (getting rid of MoJo), but this is ridiculous. We're not trained seals that will belly flop on command. We don't need drama-loving "fans" coming in, because they can start La Revolucion. We need fans that care about the playoffs, that care about the longevity of this club, that care about the chants and why we sing about a striker at 23:13.

Suck it Chris Young. Suck it long. Suck it hard.

Chewy Unikronik
04-17-2010, 11:39 AM
Suck it Chris Young. Suck it long. Suck it hard.
There went my tea on the keyboard... LOL!!!

Gazza
04-17-2010, 11:41 AM
"Suck it Chris Young. Suck it long. Suck it hard."

Thanks for giving me something to say to him if i ever get the displeasure of meeting the upper case "C"

CretanBull
04-17-2010, 12:16 PM
at the same time though, F%*$ Chris Young of the Toronto Star:

Stirring the pot with the fans so he can have better material to write about and The Star can sell more papers. Not even The Sun did that.

I don't understand your reaction to his article...writing a piece on TFC supporters isn't exactly going to boost newspaper sales - especially when the article was posted online for free.

He didn't say anything that hasn't been said here a million times, if anything he's sympathizing with our situation...

FluSH
04-17-2010, 12:40 PM
I don't understand your reaction to his article...writing a piece on TFC supporters isn't exactly going to boost newspaper sales - especially when the article was posted online for free.

He didn't say anything that hasn't been said here a million times, if anything he's sympathizing with our situation...

+1

If I could I would have recommended the article...

FluSH
04-17-2010, 12:43 PM
Anyhow...

Chris Young

Thanks for that Article/piece... FluSH Approves.

peace

Gazza
04-17-2010, 12:45 PM
Sad thing is...she looks better than half the SSGs we get...although recently, we've had a good run with SSGs, so she only looks better than 1/3 of them.:facepalm:

Definitely, we've had a good run of form with the SSG's lately...no C section scars or treasure trails in quite a few weeks.

spark
04-17-2010, 01:04 PM
Saw the Globe piece, good to see that now with grass at BMO we can hopefully get more CM/WNT games here in TO

CANADA CONFIRMS SCHEDULE FOR 2010 (http://www.rednationonline.ca/Canada_confirms_schedule_of_five_remaining_friendl ies_for_2010_campaign_apr_16_10_article.shtml)

For those interested - apologies for the brutal connection from way up on top of the mountains ...

INTERVIEW WITH MARVELL WYNNE (http://www.rednationonline.ca/podcast.shtml#MarvellWynne)

DichioTFC
04-17-2010, 01:20 PM

I hear you and FluSH for not agreeing with my point of view, didn't expect many to actually, but the way that I see it is as a value-based thing.

I want the local reporters to talk write in-depth about the squad in a way that represents the squad in a positive light. If the fanbase learns about the squad because of its mismanagement, how can we reasonably expect people to respect Toronto FC / MLS / soccer in North America. It's things like this that accumulate and snowball into degrading the team specifically and the sport in general.

Talking about issues like these amongst supporters is different because, when it comes down to it, we will support the team. If people judge the team based solely on that article (which people probably will), then it will further degrade the perception of the team.

I dunno, just how I feel.

SilverSamurai
04-17-2010, 01:32 PM
Didn't turn out that way though.
Then again it was a WCQ...

I wonder who it'll be though... when can I buy my tix?!:canada:

Toronto Ruffrider
04-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Didn't turn out that way though.
Then again it was a WCQ...

I wonder who it'll be though... when can I buy my tix?!:canada:

Supposedly, Honduras will be our opponent in Montreal, though I'm not sure who our opposition will be here in T.O. (Ecuador maybe?). Good luck making the Montreal tilt into a home game.:rolleyes:

For what it's worth, the CSA had its hands tied with respect to scheduling for its 2008 home WCQers. As I recall, BMO Field was unavailable for the Honduras game, and Stade Saputo was unavailable for the Jamaica game. For all of the CSA's incompetence, I doubt our national governing body scheduled its matches around maximizing away support.

CretanBull
04-17-2010, 02:14 PM
Supposedly, Honduras will be our opponent in Montreal, though I'm not sure who our opposition will be here in T.O. (Ecuador maybe?). Good luck making the Montreal tilt into a home game.:rolleyes:

For what it's worth, the CSA had its hands tied with respect to scheduling for its 2008 home WCQers. As I recall, BMO Field was unavailable for the Honduras game, and Stade Saputo was unavailable for the Jamaica game. For all of the CSA's incompetence, I doubt our national governing body scheduled its matches around maximizing away support.

It abosolutely does (or did, it may be re-thinking that now) - that's not a secrete or a conspiracy, its been their strategy. Canada played its first home game at BMO vs. Costa Rica, they drew about 11,000 people. I was among a *tiny* minority of people there who spoke English - I don't even think the game was advertised in the English language media. It was a failure. They followed that up with the Jamaica game. Toronto has the largest Jamaican population outside of Jamaica. Outside of our boards, did you see anyone promoting it as a Canada game? I saw TONS of Toronto based Jamaican groups promoting the event, I saw posters downtown etc. but they were promoting it as a chance to see the Jamiacan national team. Make no mistake about it, we (TFC's supporter groups) saved that from being another embarrassment. Montreal is the closes big city to New York's huge Honduran population, so we play there for that game.

When we qualified in '86 we didn't cater to those audiences for the sake of (desparately needed) money - we moved those games to places like NewFoundland.

denime
04-17-2010, 02:36 PM
It abosolutely does (or did, it may be re-thinking that now) - that's not a secrete or a conspiracy, its been their strategy. Canada played its first home game at BMO vs. Costa Rica, they drew about 11,000 people. I was among a *tiny* minority of people there who spoke English - I don't even think the game was advertised in the English language media. It was a failure. They followed that up with the Jamaica game. Toronto has the largest Jamaican population outside of Jamaica. Outside of our boards, did you see anyone promoting it as a Canada game? I saw TONS of Toronto based Jamaican groups promoting the event, I saw posters downtown etc. but they were promoting it as a chance to see the Jamiacan national team. Make no mistake about it, we (TFC's supporter groups) saved that from being another embarrassment. Montreal is the closes big city to New York's huge Honduran population, so we play there for that game.

When we qualified in '86 we didn't cater to those audiences for the sake of (desparately needed) money - we moved those games to places like NewFoundland.

True and sad in the same time.

Toronto Ruffrider
04-17-2010, 02:43 PM

I have to disagree on this point. Our supporter contingent was substantial, but at most the RPB/U-Sector/NEE/Voyageur presence was at around 2,000-2,500 people. Dino did a fantastic job of buying and selling tickets to Canadian fans, but the vast majority of fans at BMO (probably at least 2/3rds, or 13-14,000 people) supported the home team. What made up the difference? This game was marketed well to TFC season ticket holders, which stands in stark contrast to the way the Honduras game was marketed to Impact season ticket holders. At the end of the day, the everyday fan still comprises the largest group to attend soccer games, even games as important as this one.

As for the Jamaican groups promoting this game, that was their prerogative. I can't say that this group effort paid off hugely, though, seeing as how we had a significant numerical advantage.

Back to the issue of scheduling games, it has to be noted that we aren't exactly swimming in soccer stadiums in this country. If Stade Saputo was unavailable for the Jamaica game, what were our alternatives? Commonwealth? Richardson Stadium? Swangard? Schedule a Canada/Jamaica game in any of those stadiums and the traveling away support will outnumber the home support, I guarantee it.

Toronto Ruffrider
04-17-2010, 02:45 PM
^^On the topic of our WCQer in St. John's, Nfld, it should be noted that there were no Hondurans there because the Honduran supporters went to Saint John, NB, by mistake. That was definitely a screw up in our favour.

CretanBull
04-17-2010, 02:59 PM
I have to disagree on this point. Our supporter contingent was substantial, but at most the RPB/U-Sector/NEE/Voyageur presence was at around 2,000-2,500 people. Dino did a fantastic job of buying and selling tickets to Canadian fans, but the vast majority of fans at BMO (probably at least 2/3rds, or 13-14,000 people) supported the home team. What made up the difference? This game was marketed well to TFC season ticket holders, which stands in stark contrast to the way the Honduras game was marketed to Impact season ticket holders. At the end of the day, the everyday fan still comprises the largest group to attend soccer games, even games as important as this one.

As for the Jamaican groups promoting this game, that was their prerogative. I can't say that this group effort paid off hugely, though, seeing as how we had a significant numerical advantage.

Back to the issue of scheduling games, it has to be noted that we aren't exactly swimming in soccer stadiums in this country. If Stade Saputo was unavailable for the Jamaica game, what were our alternatives? Commonwealth? Richardson Stadium? Swangard? Schedule a Canada/Jamaica game in any of those stadiums and the traveling away support will outnumber the home support, I guarantee it.

I'm not saying that it was all us, but we certainly made an event out of it which generated interest to a wider audience. Did the CSA honestly do anything to market to TFC season ticket holders, or were we the common link that created excitement around the stadium about that game?

^^On the topic of our WCQer in St. John's, Nfld, it should be noted that there were no Hondurans there because the Honduran supporters went to Saint John, NB, by mistake. That was definitely a screw up in our favour.

The point is, we made it difficult for them to get to it - we didn't cater to them (and the cold weather didn't hurt our team as much as it did theirs!

Putting a Jamaica game in Toront is a joke if you want it to be a 'home' game for Canada.

[NBF]
04-17-2010, 03:32 PM
I get mixed up on the Saint John and St.John's also, so hard to distinguish one from the other. It's almost like Chad Barrett's accuracy on goal, I just see lines and I follow them. Sometimes, I end up where i want to go, and sometimes I end up right where I started.

Im glad that the CSA is continuing to evolve specially now that there will be 3 teams in the MLS. Things are looking up and all thats left is for a National Academy to be announced. The more games we play we will definitely generate more funds for an academy. I hope by 2014 we can get to the point of building an academy.

DOMIN8R
04-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Preki with Early Problems at Toronto FC (http://www.insidefutbol.com/2010/04/17/preki-with-early-problems-at-toronto-fc/20759/)

Red Rat
04-17-2010, 06:26 PM
Found this

"They've had the supporters from Day One.

Now they have grass.

And Thursday night they even got a win thanks to a pair of goals from Dwayne DeRosario that were helped no little bit by the visiting Philadelphia Union.

What Toronto FC hasn't gotten yet, however, is a football team that looks like it can make the playoffs.

While new boss Preki alternately emoted or appeared to be agonizing for the ESPN2 cameras, TFC made enough mistakes in front of the Union's goal to last a season. After all, if you're going to play three strikers, shouldn't you at least be able to get most of the attempts on the frame?

DeRosario's first goal was a gift from Chris Seitz in the Union goal, the second straight week that the Philadelphia keeper has contrived to beat himself.

The second came thanks to a penalty won by O'Brian White, who probably should have been awarded one earlier by referee Baldomero Toledo. DeRosario put the spot kick away nicely.

And we haven't even mentioned the fact that Philly again played an entire second half with 10 men since one of their central defenders got himself stupidly sent off.

On opening night it was Toni Stahl. Thursday it was Danny Califf. Stahl, at least, had the excuse of being a rookie. Califf ... well, the sooner he gets rid of that Mohawk, the better."

bgnewf
04-17-2010, 06:35 PM

I was at that game.

Second best footy memory behind the Dichio seat cushion game

S_D
04-17-2010, 06:41 PM
http://www.ego4u.com/images/countries/canada/nunavut04.jpg

They need to schedule some games up North.

TFC07
04-17-2010, 06:53 PM
Canada is going to play against Jamaica in Toronto? If not, then why are we talking about this? Canada can find better opponent to play against in Toronto.

S_D
04-17-2010, 07:20 PM
I don't know about that.

Canada is ranked so low that a lot of countries don't even look at us. The chance to play the likes Argentina is just so rare, you have to jump on it when you can. I wish we could play teams like that all the time :). But I can't complain too much, at least they are scheduling games!

KezmanCCCC
04-17-2010, 10:34 PM
i cant wait untill the canadian friendly at BMO... i hope the csa brings in a good opponent... bigger than the one they got for montreal no offence to honduras....

JonO
04-18-2010, 07:34 AM
Preki with Early Problems at Toronto FC (http://www.insidefutbol.com/2010/04/17/preki-with-early-problems-at-toronto-fc/20759/)
Interesting quote:

Toronto’s director of soccer, former Scottish international Mo Johnston, has reportedly been at odds with many of Preki’s moves, but has given the new coach responsibility for rebuilding the squad and is loathe to get involved. This may be a suicidal decision on the part of Johnston as if Preki fails to make the playoffs then the Scot will see just as much heat as his coach.