PDA

View Full Version : Who are the best players in the MLS?

torontocelt
04-16-2010, 09:06 PM
I have followed TFC since year two when I moved here but I am not familiar with other teams. I was hoping that some of you guys could perhaps post the names of players who you regard as being the best in the league, this might help people like me become more familiar with the other teams in a know your enemy kind of way.

At the game last night I felt Philly had a great little player in their team, number 20 Torres. He is the guy that played the beautiful pass that set up their goal. He was pretty small but appeared to have great vision, illustrated in his pass for the goal and he played some other great passes also. Philly have him on loan from a team in Columbia, we would have done well to get someone like him. Below is a link to an article on him from the Philly web page, I also had look on their facebook and the Philliy fans are nuts about him. It is the fourth article down.

http://www.philadelphiaunion.com/Content1.aspx?cid=2.1

I am sure that there are quite a few good players in the MLS, does any one have any recommendations?

Oldtimer
04-16-2010, 09:57 PM
LA's Donovan (known to supporters of all other teams in the league as "Landycakes") is hands down the best American striker in MLS, although he is freakily strange. There's a certain David whats-his-name who plays midfield with him when he's not trying to get on England's WC team or is injured (which amounts to 90% of the time).

New York's Angel is the gold standard for Designated Players in the league.

Seattle's Kasey Keller is one of the best GKs in MLS. Freddie Ljungberg is one of the best midfielders.

Chivas' Big Zack Thornton has been considered the best GK in MLS.

TFCUNITED
04-16-2010, 10:12 PM
Taylor Twellman is another good players and he plays for the New England Revolution.

tfc2007
04-16-2010, 10:26 PM
Casey,
Golden Boot winner.

TFC OZZ
04-16-2010, 11:16 PM
Not mentioned off the top of my head: (excuse the spelling)

-Chad Marshall D
-Schellotto MF
-Kyle Beckerman MF
-Jaime Moreno F
-Conde D
-BUDDLE F

Stryker
04-16-2010, 11:20 PM
De Rosario is in the top 10.

Dirk Diggler
04-17-2010, 12:23 AM
Cunningham.

TFC_4_Life
04-17-2010, 12:28 AM
Sharlie Joseph - consistently and widely acknowledged as best defensive mid in the league, and has been for quit some time. Plays with New England.

drexel10
04-17-2010, 12:29 AM
probably some spelling errors :)

Javier Morales/RSL, Perreira from Dallas, Shalrie Joseph/New England, Brad Davis/Houston, Omar Cummins/Colorado, Santos/Chivas, Montero/Seattle, David Arnaud/KC, Kevin Alston/ New England

New comers who look good: Limpare/RBNY, Tim Ream/RBNY, Torres/Philly, Ryan Smith/KC,

Bars92
04-17-2010, 07:47 AM
Kenny Cooper was good.

Razcle
04-17-2010, 09:07 AM
Taylor Twellman is another good players and he plays for the New England Revolution.

Twellman doesn't actually play for NER. He just holds down a roster spot..:o

Gazza
04-17-2010, 09:14 AM
Kevin Harmse

No really, De Ro has been consistently one of MLS's best players year in and year out...i'd put him top 10 at least...

Good question though, since i don't know much about the MLS before TFC came into the league other than to keep up with how the canadian players were doing.

J .
04-17-2010, 09:44 AM
DeRo, Donovan, Joseph, Freddie L, Schletto (sp?), McBride,

jloome
04-17-2010, 10:17 AM
probably some spelling errors :)

Javier Morales/RSL, Perreira from Dallas, Shalrie Joseph/New England, Brad Davis/Houston, Omar Cummins/Colorado, Santos/Chivas, Montero/Seattle, David Arnaud/KC, Kevin Alston/ New England

New comers who look good: Limpare/RBNY, Tim Ream/RBNY, Torres/Philly, Ryan Smith/KC,

That's an interesting list that no coach in the league would probably agree with, if that's supposed to be the best from each team.

Alston is a serviceable fullback, getting better, but not even a patch on Shalrie Joseph's skill. Freddie Ljunberg at Seattle is a better player than Montero (although Montero's a good striker); Tim Ream is a rookie with three games under his belt; Ryan Smith? I hope whatever you're smoking tastes good. Omar Cummings over his striker partner, Conor Casey? Maiconm Santos over Jesus Padilla?

No, this is a rather random list of fairly decent players, but does not reflect the best in the league. Brad Davis? Really?

flatpicker
04-17-2010, 10:25 AM
Hopefully we can eventually ad JDG to that list... but he needs to step up his game.

Yohan
04-17-2010, 01:51 PM
Dwayne DeRosario M/F Toronto

Wilman Conde D Chicago

Chad Marshall D Columbus
Guillemo Barros Schelotto M/F Columbus

Santino Quaranta M DC

Davy Arnaud M Kansas City

Shalrie Joseph M New England

Jeff Cunningham F Dallas (don't laugh)
Kevin Hartmann GK Dallas

Juan Pablo Angel F New York

Sasha Klejstan M Chivas USA
Jonathan Bornstein D Chivas USA
Zach Thornton GK Chivas USA

Conor Casey F Colorado
Omar Cummings F Colorado

Brian Ching F Houston
Geoff Cameron D/M Houston

Landon Donovan M/F Los Angeles
Donovan Ricketts GK Los Angeles
David Beckham M Los Angeles

Javier Morales M Real Salt Lake
Kyle Beckerman M Real Salt Lake

Freddy Montero F Seattle
Freddie Ljungberg M/F Seattle
Jhon Kennedy Hurtado D Seattle
Kasey Keller GK Seattle

Dman81
04-17-2010, 01:53 PM
julius james
him so good that he got two names !

buhahahaah

trane
04-17-2010, 02:05 PM
We have two of them JDG and De Ro, and a third that may be developing at the back in Attakora. The other teams I realy do not follow enough, but clearly, Becks, Ladycakes, Ljunberg, Blaco ( if he still with Chicago) and Kenny Cooper ( if he is still with Dallas). I have not seen any non TFC MLS games this season, and I have not been paying attention to the rest of the MLS.

tfc2007
04-17-2010, 02:08 PM
We have two of them JDG and De Ro, and a third that may be developing at the back in Attakora. The other teams I realy do not follow enough, but clearly, Becks, Ladycakes, Ljunberg, Blaco ( if he still with Chicago) and Kenny Cooper ( if he is still with Dallas). I have not seen any non TFC MLS games this season, and I have not been paying attention to the rest of the MLS.

gone to mexico.

trane
04-17-2010, 02:10 PM
gone to mexico.

By Blaco, I meant Blanco, and I had heard that, but was not sure if it had acctualy happened.

ManUtd4ever
04-17-2010, 04:25 PM
Marvell Wynne, Adrian Serioux, Carl Robinson, Greg Sutton, Connor Casey, Edson Buddle, Jeff Cunningham, Todd Dunivant, Kevin Goldthwaite...

Yohan
04-18-2010, 05:29 AM
Players who are good, but something is wrong with them to put them in the best of MLS level (injuries, inconsistency, not proven enough, too old, etc)

Toronto FC
Stefan Frei GK
Julian de Guzman M

Chicago
Collins John F
Brian McBride F
Marco Pappa M
Justin Mapp M

Columbus
Eddie Gaven M
Robbie Rogers M
Frankie Hejduk D