PDA

View Full Version : Progress

J .
04-16-2010, 05:54 PM
My thoughts on the game were that Toronto FC is taking the mold that Preki would like them to fit.

Yes, they gave up a late first half goal. But that was the only real defensive lapse of the game. For five minutes we had a poor run of play, but for the most part we did was needed. Our back line looked improved, OBW is developing and drew the penalty and DeRo could have had the brace. Barrett could have also scored two. Our midfield is definitely showing signs of being the top MLS mid in the league and I expect by July we will be a force through the middle of the park.

We were much more creative, we could have won by much more than just a goal. When we gave up the late score, we did not collapse, we should an improved mental fortitude, did not start to panic and took a win we deserved.

The club resisted to start launching the ball through the air, but kept it on ground and used movement to create space.

Was it EPL quality? No. A solid MLS game? Yes.

There has been a ton of progression through the style and tactical development of the club. It looked much more like the first half of the NER game.

Preki has done more for the club in his short tenure installing shape and tactics, than Carver, Cummings and MoJo did when they were the coach.

ManUtd4ever
04-16-2010, 06:11 PM
I think your analysis is somewhat flattering to TFC as the match was against an expansion team that was down a man for 60 minutes. I do agree that the second half offered some cause for optimism compared to what we have witnessed since the start of the season. I believe it will take at least another 4-5 games before this team develops cohesion within the starting lineup that Preki is still experimenting with. As for our midfield there is enough talent there to assume that it should eventually be among the stronger groups in the league but right now it's not even close to the top. Last night was merely the first step towards respectability. There are sure to be more hiccups along the way but I firmly believe that by mid season TFC will be one of the most difficult teams to play against in the MLS. Let's hope by that time TFC is still in contention for a playoff spot in the standings because this team will be poised to have a much stronger second half of the season...

Helmet
04-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Last night was one of the first times in four seasons that you could actually see the formations the Toronto was running and the shifts made depending on ball position.

This should hopefully bode well as the players learn each others tendencies and abilities and it will be interesting to see how it translates during the season.

TFCRegina
04-16-2010, 06:17 PM
I think your analysis is somewhat flattering to TFC as the match was against an expansion team that was down a man for 60 minutes. I do agree that the second half offered some cause for optimism compared to what we have witnessed since the start of the season. I believe it will take at least another 4-5 games before this team develops cohesion within the starting lineup that Preki is still experimenting with. As for our midfield there is enough talent there to assume that it should eventually be among the stronger groups in the league but right now it's not even close to the top. Last night was merely the first step towards respectability. There are sure to be more hiccups along the way but I firmly believe that by mid season TFC will be one of the most difficult teams to play against in the MLS. Let's hope by that time TFC is still in contention for a playoff spot in the standings because this team will be poised to have a much stronger second half of the season...

In some countries, they teach sports to kids using smaller versions of things. Smaller hockey pucks, smaller footballs, fewer people in the area of play.

You have to learn to walk before you can run. We did well against 10 men, and it will get the confidence up for the next game.

Maybe doing well against 10 men will help them do better against 11 in Colorado.

J .
04-16-2010, 07:46 PM

Even prior to being up a man, I thought that our team was playing well. It is a work in progress, but if the team continues to improve, within 4-5 games we should be one of the more difficult teams to play against.

There was a lot of battle from our team last night. It would have been easy to get down on themselves, but they not only battled for the ball, but battled a history of self inflicted let downs.

Also, the supporters should pat themselves on the back for continually pushing the team onward.

sweetlemon69
04-16-2010, 07:53 PM
Was it EPL quality? No. A solid MLS game? Yes.

EPL resists the urge to long ball? :)

Shakes McQueen
04-16-2010, 08:00 PM
One thing I noticed, was that there weren't as many brutal defensive lapses as we were prone to the first two games (coincidentally I'm sure, when Garcia was on the field), or all of last season.

- Scott

Chevy
04-16-2010, 08:09 PM
It did look promising, but we need to give this group another four to six weeks to really see what they are (or are not) capable of.

Assuming that this is our squad going forward, we're essentially in pre-season mode considering all the new additions.

J .
04-17-2010, 08:47 AM
EPL resists the urge to long ball? :)

I meant in terms of being attractive soccer. MLS is not an attractive tactical brand of game its a physical league. Sometimes I expect people want to see sexy soccer. MLS simply is not that league.

JDG needs to learn from DeRo to take control of the game like he does in the Gold Cup matches.

kitchener-TFC
04-17-2010, 10:53 PM
I thought the sight of Cann and Nana winning balls in the air was quite encouraging. Like Chevy said, give the team about a month, and we'll go from there.