PDA

View Full Version : 4-4-1-1 and Target DP striker-that is what I would like to see

trane
04-16-2010, 02:22 PM
From yesterday, I would like to keep on seeing De Ro play far up. But I would prefer to see it with a big target striker, for him to play off.

De Ro played great, but was too isolated and could not get to many decenent crosses, particularly the short chiped in one. A target striker would be a perfect pairing, in my eyes. I am not sure who is available, Milan does not want to sell Huntelaar, so that chance is gone.

TFCRegina
04-16-2010, 02:44 PM
Peter Crouch for Designated Player!

DichioTFC
04-16-2010, 02:49 PM
strikers are an expensive commodity and finding a DP that would wililng to come to the MLS (short of Henry) would be difficult as well. the strikers out there cannot create opportunities on the ball like Ronaldo back in the day or Ronaldhino now.

I would actually prefer fullback upgrades over DP strikers. save the DP for when the player is right, not necessarily just because it suits our purpose at the current moment (i.e. De Guzman, sure we have DMs, but finding one of De Guz's caliber with a Canadian passport would be impossible)

"THE PAGE"
04-16-2010, 03:01 PM
PAUL DICKOV is almost signed boys! just wait!

MartinUtd
04-16-2010, 03:03 PM
Has TFC even expressed interest in an additional DP?

trane
04-16-2010, 03:04 PM
^ 5-5 seems a little short for a target striker.

trane
04-16-2010, 03:06 PM
Has TFC even expressed interest in an additional DP?

That seems to be the talk, but there is not official basis for it, that I am aware of.

HOwever, my point was more that we play 4-4-1-1, De Ro behidn a a target striker, that be a DP striker is more of a wish, just because of I am not aware of any quality target striker available. That kid that played for BC maybe?

TFCRegina
04-16-2010, 03:06 PM
^ 5-5 seems a little short for a target striker.

Hence the Peter Crouch comment.

trane
04-16-2010, 03:14 PM
^ Yes, I was refering to Dickov.

swan
04-16-2010, 07:57 PM

i hope not...

i hear he is not even getting starts at leeds and hardly coming off the bench why would he be a DP...

Ossington Mental Youth
04-16-2010, 08:12 PM
he will sadly

Batman
04-16-2010, 08:52 PM
Frankly I don't even think Mo should be ALLOWED to sign a DP right now. That's how little faith I have in him.

I expect he's under serious evaluation, and he shouldn't be in a position of making an expensive bonehead move that could cost this team well beyond his tenure.

I think the new GM should be in place (assuming we can get one) and then that guy, takes on the task of additional DPs.

tfc2007
04-16-2010, 10:15 PM
with the new DP rule, we should have 1 DP on the back line,
1 DP on the mid (which we do), and than 1 DP up top.

Too bad when they did the new CBA it wasnt a higher cap, because although the above sounds good, i dont think it would be practical under the cap.

Jeff s
04-16-2010, 10:36 PM
In Football manager, TFC ended up getting Javier Portillo as their DP. Just saying :p

prizby
04-16-2010, 10:39 PM
some more fantasy football :)

trane
04-17-2010, 06:45 AM
^ The point is 4-4-1-1 with De Ro as the in the hole striker would work, but i think that it would work better with a target striker. DO be honest how we get them I do not care, the DP is just so that he we could get some quality.

We are short of a proper striker. So unless OBW develops, we are going to have to bring one in. Even if he does develop one proper striker is not enough.

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-17-2010, 07:04 AM
Ruud Van Nistelrooy. He'd be perfect, no? One of the most prolific goalscorers of his era. Only problem is he's ancient and if I'm not mistaken has had injury problems recently.

Vecchia Guardia
04-17-2010, 08:08 AM
with this tactic you need a player like corradi or crouch, someone able to far salire the team

swan
04-17-2010, 08:12 AM
i hope not...

i hear he is not even getting starts at leeds and hardly coming off the bench why would he be a DP...

words form a life long leeds fan in england about dickov

"hes dog crap"

CretanBull
04-17-2010, 08:22 AM
I thought our whole team played better when we went to 4-4-2 with Barrett and White up front. I think the problem with playing DeRo up front is that he's constantly looking for service that isn't coming and he gets taken out of the game, unless he drops back to pick up the ball himself. I'm not really confident with a Barrett/White partnership up front, but atleast we played a tight formation when they were together. I think when DeRo plays wide he has the freedom to go forward as often as he wants, but he falls back into formation after a forward run and that helps our whole team keep its shape.

Fushida
04-17-2010, 08:22 AM
Ruud Van Nistelrooy. He'd be perfect, no? One of the most prolific goalscorers of his era. Only problem is he's ancient and if I'm not mistaken has had injury problems recently.

And it looks like we're getting DICKOV. Prehistoric would be the word to describe him then?

:facepalm:

Candu_88
04-17-2010, 09:02 AM
There is no question that TFC lacks speedy skilled true wingers so our players instincts are to play long balls down the middle. DeRo can't perform well under those conditions as a lone striker. Did you notice DeRo was called offside 4 times and is well on the way to winning the MLS again in that stat? :(

I like OBW's improved off the ball movement, better speed and diagonal runs and his linking with the midfield is beginning to impress me but clearly his best role is two strikers working together. When DeRo is a lone forward at times we look like we are playing the really rare 4-6-0 formation.

Given the current squad's balance I 100% agree we need a target striker but not just size we need hard working speedy, powerful target man that will pressure the defenders pulling them out of position and moving consistently. Static target strikers are too easy to handle.

trane
04-17-2010, 01:59 PM
^ I agree with this. I just think that kind of striker would put us over the top, in relative terms.

CB,

I agree with you in that De Ro looks much better withdrawn, playing more like an AM, but he is also our best scorer, that is why a 1-1 front with him in the hole is something I would like see, he would not be a pure striker, but a trequartista, a AM/SS a role that I think suits him perfectly. He is a mid but most defently an attacking mid.

jimiv
04-17-2010, 02:01 PM

Is this why there was a Scottish flag flying in the south end on Thursday night?

trane
04-17-2010, 02:09 PM
I think the Scotish flag is for the supporters favourite Mo Jo.

jimiv
04-17-2010, 02:37 PM
Ugh, I had always been under the impression that those flags represented our starting 11 but now that I count them it looks like there may only be 10 flags.

CretanBull
04-17-2010, 02:38 PM
I agree with you in that De Ro looks much better withdrawn, playing more like an AM, but he is also our best scorer, that is why a 1-1 front with him in the hole is something I would like see, he would not be a pure striker, but a trequartista, a AM/SS a role that I think suits him perfectly. He is a mid but most defently an attacking mid.

I like him best in that AM/SS role - I don't like him as a winger at all (I think his talent is wasted there) - but the rest of our team plays better and keeps its shape when he plays LM.

Going forward with the ball, there's not a lot of difference between 4-4-2 and 4-4-1-1...the "1" who is in the different position is going to be a bit of a roamer, so they're practically the same.

But things fall apart on defense. For a reason I can't explain, when DeRo isn't in the midfield, we get lost on defense, our midfield just scrambles for the ball and the team loses its formation. If we win the ball back (as JDG has done for us!) we struggle in our transition to the attack because no one is where they should be, and JDG gets blamed for being a shitty passer - all because the outlet players aren't where he expects them to be (where they are told to be, where they are in training!).

Our choice seems to be, get the most out of DeRo and let the rest of the team scramble, or not get the most out of our best player and let the rest of the team stay organized. In time, I'm sure coaching will allow us to do both, but right now I don't see it (and the revolving door starting XI isn't helping).

DeRo should play the way Beckham did for Man U - control the game from the wing. He should be the 1st option as an outlet pass when we're coming out of our own end. The ball should be at his feet, the decision making should be his. He'll have the freedom to cut in and take a shot when he sees it or have the option of moving the ball up to one of the two strikers ahead of him. That way, when we don't have the ball, we'd always be 4-4-2. When we've got the ball, we become 4-3-3 if DeRo sees a chance to move forward, or stay 4-4-2 if he decides to provide service for the strikers. It's far from ideal, but I think it's what will work best now.

trane
04-17-2010, 04:17 PM
^ The scrabeling to the ball thing I just do not get, I mean does that shit not end by the time you hit your teenage years? But they realy do it. Not as bad last game, but over the four years, is ludicrous.

prizby
04-17-2010, 05:04 PM
^ The point is 4-4-1-1 with De Ro as the in the hole striker would work, but i think that it would work better with a target striker. DO be honest how we get them I do not care, the DP is just so that he we could get some quality.

We are short of a proper striker. So unless OBW develops, we are going to have to bring one in. Even if he does develop one proper striker is not enough.

So your saying DeRo in the hole would work...what if it was with a bunch of 9 year olds...would that work too?

the whole point is we have 5 or 6 posts a week suggesting formations or whatever all saying they will work, they will work

what if they don't?

well then we get mad at management

its an endless cycle. I think its time for us to stop playing fantasy football, stop telling management who we want to see, stop putting pressure on them, let them build a team and if they can't put together a successful product in a couple of years (after we shut up and just be fans) then let them know how we feel

the problem is we demand too much, they do what we say without thinking about whether its feasible or not...DP, Ali Gerba etc...

jloome
04-17-2010, 08:56 PM
strikers are an expensive commodity and finding a DP that would wililng to come to the MLS (short of Henry) would be difficult as well. the strikers out there cannot create opportunities on the ball like Ronaldo back in the day or Ronaldhino now.

I would actually prefer fullback upgrades over DP strikers. save the DP for when the player is right, not necessarily just because it suits our purpose at the current moment (i.e. De Guzman, sure we have DMs, but finding one of De Guz's caliber with a Canadian passport would be impossible)

There are a ton of strikers of DP quality but not world-reknowned. Angel wasn't going to be starting in the premiership anymore when he came over, and there are other guys from the River/Boca/Corinthians/Santos/etc. backgrounds who would be effective here for DP money.

Fiin
04-17-2010, 09:03 PM
There are a ton of strikers of DP quality but not world-reknowned. Angel wasn't going to be starting in the premiership anymore when he came over, and there are other guys from the River/Boca/Corinthians/Santos/etc. backgrounds who would be effective here for DP money.

Even less then DP money.. even though he isnt a striker.. GBS is proof of that.. not so hot lately... but definatly a force and just hit DP..

CretanBull
04-17-2010, 09:31 PM
Even less then DP money.. even though he isnt a striker.. GBS is proof of that.. not so hot lately... but definatly a force and just hit DP..

I think GBS took less money to stay somewhere where he was happy, I don't think he would have made that initial move for the money that he's making now.

Fiin
04-17-2010, 09:44 PM
I think GBS took less money to stay somewhere where he was happy, I don't think he would have made that initial move for the money that he's making now.

True. Just sayin there is definate talent out there for less then DP cash that can make a huge impact.

Bombonera
04-18-2010, 10:08 AM
TOn's of players out there whow can really play and might consider doing so in TO for DP money. WE all know that.

I also wonder (tree is another post to this point...) wheteher MO should have the right to play those cards. IT's a real conundrum. We deserve better, but his track record so far re:signings is rough, and we as a team are really struggling. So, if makes those calls, they don't work, he get's fired, etc., then what does the future look like? WHat would his replacement do? My guess is back to the drawing board, but with a serious payroll, and not much flexibility.

On the other hand, maybe it's up to Preki at this point. WHo knows what decision making Mo is really allowed.

trane
04-19-2010, 02:51 PM
So your saying DeRo in the hole would work...what if it was with a bunch of 9 year olds...would that work too?

the whole point is we have 5 or 6 posts a week suggesting formations or whatever all saying they will work, they will work

what if they don't?

well then we get mad at management

its an endless cycle. I think its time for us to stop playing fantasy football, stop telling management who we want to see, stop putting pressure on them, let them build a team and if they can't put together a successful product in a couple of years (after we shut up and just be fans) then let them know how we feel

the problem is we demand too much, they do what we say without thinking about whether its feasible or not...DP, Ali Gerba etc...

Are you serious? We put pressure on managment by talking football? This is what supporters do. We love the game so we talk abou it. Managemnt should worry that we stop talking about it, then it may be the start of the end of TFC.