PDA

View Full Version : The view from the North

Carefree
04-16-2010, 12:15 PM
So, were any of you sitting in the new North stand last night? What did you think of the set-up, view, atmosphere, etc?

I was in row three directly behind the left goal post and was pleasantly surprised at how great the view was. I hadn't seen any photos before but I was under the impression that it was being built behind the beer garden rather than on top of it. The steep inclination means even higher rows are very close to the action when it's happening in that half, which is great. And because of the height we still have a pretty good view of the other end, which sadly is not the case with the south end.

As far as the atmosphere, it's definitely not the south end but it has some definite potential. Most of the more vocal fans were in the higher rows but down at the bottom it was pretty quiet.

Overall I'm very happy with it and will certainly go back.

Whoop
04-16-2010, 12:20 PM
Maybe one day we can truly get a north-south massive.

tfcleeds
04-16-2010, 12:22 PM
I was also in the north end - agreed on the view - it was great. I was pleasantly surprised at how close we were to the action.

I'd definitely consider watching more matches from there.

Commie Red
04-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Nice to hear Carefree. I too was impressed with the great view (well, what i imagined was a great view as I didn't actually sit there). The whole north stands are far nicer than I imagined they would be from the original sketches. They certainly help make BMO more of a fortress than it has been in the past. Now if we could fill in the corners and get a partial roof...

bingobob
04-16-2010, 12:47 PM
I was in the north...loved it....18th row right under the jumbotron...the stands are steeper than anywhere else in BMO...60 bucks is a little steep, but it was worth it.

DichioTFC
04-16-2010, 12:51 PM
I was in the deadzone known as 226 and from where I was sitting the North End supporters were VERY loud. I'll be looking to trade my partials for North End seats from hereon in.

Carefree
04-16-2010, 12:51 PM
^^^ I know. The price is really the only thing I don't like about the new stands.

peterboroughtfcfan
04-16-2010, 01:37 PM
^^^ I know. The price is really the only thing I don't like about the new stands.

I was up near the top of 132 last night and was also pleasantly surprised. Luckily there were a bunch of Usector and RPBs around me so we turned up the volume in the top rows. Some moron attendant tried to get us to sit down but we stood our ground for most of the match.

While the view was fine and the prices were shitty, the best part about the new stands is....(drum roll)..........BEER HOLDERS.

Why the hell they didn't think about this with the south side stands is beyond me. We were stomping the whole game and my beer didn't spill once. Beautiful!:drinking:

celt-nick
04-16-2010, 01:48 PM
thats awsome.....I spill alot more beer than I should:D

I was up near the top of 132 last night and was also pleasantly surprised. Luckily there were a bunch of Usector and RPBs around me so we turned up the volume in the top rows. Some moron attendant tried to get us to sit down but we stood our ground for most of the match.

While the view was fine and the prices were shitty, the best part about the new stands is....(drum roll)..........BEER HOLDERS.

Why the hell they didn't think about this with the south side stands is beyond me. We were stomping the whole game and my beer didn't spill once. Beautiful!:drinking:

Mark in Ottawa
04-16-2010, 03:19 PM
Just curious... from my seat in 110 I couldn't tell...
What is the area directly under the new North stand?
Is it the same old beer garden setup?
Is it tables with specific ticketed assignments?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

rocker
04-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Just curious... from my seat in 110 I couldn't tell...
What is the area directly under the new North stand?
Is it the same old beer garden setup?
Is it tables with specific ticketed assignments?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

it's pretty much just open space.. some standup tables, some beer service.
But the big Carlsberg beer service was located in the walkway between the scoreboard and the Food building. In that area they had hotdog vendors, more standup tables and the poutine truck (which was doing brisk business at 6:10pm). Anyone can stroll there or under the north stand and up to the edge of the standing room area.

Mark in Ottawa
04-16-2010, 03:25 PM
it's pretty much just open space.. some standup tables, some beer service.
But the big Carlsberg beer service was located in the walkway between the scoreboard and the Food building. In that area they had hotdog vendors, more standup tables and the poutine truck (which was doing brisk business at 6:10pm). Anyone can stroll there or under the north stand and up to the edge of the standing room area.
Hey thanks for that.
When you usually march into gate #3 you miss that stuff.

Inklink
04-16-2010, 03:25 PM
I wasn't at BMO, but I can say that the new stand looked great. It completes the stadium's look to an extent.

Davenport
04-16-2010, 03:27 PM
It would be great if the RPB could be in the North stand.
Imagine that.
A central location, instead of being stuck away in the corner, and raised.
The noise and look would be very impressive.
A real "end".

P-NUTZ
loved that fortress feel. certainly enhances the mood and intimacy/intensity within. i picked up 3 pairs for three other games just in case, but may try them one game in contrast from my ususal view.

Dave67
We grabbed some food from under the new stands. It was a lot smoother to negotiate pre game than anything under the East stand. The new North West entrance was a dream

ForestGlade
04-16-2010, 03:33 PM
I sat 10th row on the far right stand. The atmosphere was both a mix of newer fans and nomads trying to start chants to no avail.

The view of DeRo's goal was something to behold

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4036/4526756696_fb7e6e17e9.jpg

Roogsy
04-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Maybe one day we can truly get a north-south massive.

Please don't say that...right now I am still smarting from last night. :D

grizzle
04-16-2010, 03:55 PM
My friends were in 133 and got a couple videos. Here is one of them (Dero's goal)...

http://www.vimeo.com/10988630

EDIT... here is another video from there...

http://www.vimeo.com/10990002

T0R0NT0 FC
04-16-2010, 04:05 PM
I was row 4 in Sec 133. The view from the stands was great! Being so close to the action and about 20' above it made me feel like I could have tried for a couple of those crosses from corners! It's pretty sweet!

They just have to put up better scoreboards in the south end... you could barely see them with the security etc standing in front of them. I'm surprised they didn't build on above the last of the box seats in the south, plenty of room up there and it wouldn't upstruct the view of anyone

Smokecell
04-16-2010, 05:20 PM
I sat in 131, great view and as others have expressed it was better than originally thought. Side note: watched the espn 2 highlights and the new north end looked great on tv to boot

Detroit_TFC
04-16-2010, 05:39 PM
I was in 131, row 3 all the way on the west side. Great view of both field and NEE, not hard at all to pick up their chants (at least on our side of the North End), for those wanting to. On the other hand it was hard to hear the guys who were sitting up by the videoboard more in the middle. Seat bases flip up as in the more expensive sections, so moving in and out is easy. Facing away from videoboard wasn't such a big deal. Small time/scoreboards were placed in the east and west gaps on the south end, but they weren't so easy to see because the cops and security were standing in front of them and the boards weren't high enough.

Most of the patio was reserved for corporate partners so hard to determine how many people would hang out there. Highlight of the night: poutine - it was delish. Lowlight: the glacially, inexplicably slow customer service at the main north concession stand on the upper level. Whoever was managing that should be fired.

nfitz
04-16-2010, 05:58 PM
Lowlight: the glacially, inexplicably slow customer service at the main north concession stand on the upper level. Whoever was managing that should be fired.Yeah, I wondered up there right at the beginning of the half to grab a Scotch egg ... and the line scared me away, so I went all the way down to that wonderful pie place under 104, and got a hot pie right out of the oven, with no wait! It's a shame that there aren't more smaller vendors who only sell one or two things; the line-ups for those always seem to go smoother.

One day, I'll get to try these mytnical Scotch eggs.

The view from 132 was great by the way ... and the sound from the south end carried in well! But I've said this in other threads.

TFC Cityboy
04-16-2010, 05:59 PM
the scotch eggs are shite...they should not be deep-fried, they should be served breaded and cold

boban
04-16-2010, 06:08 PM
Lowlight: the glacially, inexplicably slow customer service at the main north concession stand on the upper level. Whoever was managing that should be fired.
That's just how it seems to be - sigh. I was buying drinks rights there. I was third in line and it took forever. She even had to take out a paper and pen to figure out the total. :facepalm:
I don't understand why at the NSS the service goes so downhill compared to ACC - especially when a lot of that staff I believe is the same.

T.O TILL I DIE
04-16-2010, 06:41 PM
actually i was surpirised on how the fans were pretty loud up there. One day if theres more fans like the ones at the top of the north end you could make your own supporter group :D ! but oh when the reds was louder then NEE :O p.s they werent that great i heard better last season

GabrielHurl
04-16-2010, 07:01 PM
Speaking from a 127 vantage point - you guys were pretty loud up there - great to hear

JDG
04-16-2010, 07:23 PM
I was in 124 last night, and was enjoying the usual great performance from 110-113.
To my left I enjoyed the drumming from NEE, but couldn't hear the chanting very much - just a matter of the way sound travels forward better than it travels right or left.
I was very pleasantly suprised several times to clearly hear some familiar chants to my left and when I looked, it was the upper/central part of the North Stand in full song - absolutely amazing for a first outing, and something that should be aggressively built upon if possible.
Great job to all who were involved!

TFC HSV
04-16-2010, 07:42 PM
I was in 134 row 10.

I had a great time. The atmosphere was great espicially when more people started standing and chanting.

I recommend it, it was better then the east or west sides for sure.

The price is a bit steep but that was the most fun I've had at a game in awhile.

South or North end are definitely the way to go imo.

Mark120
04-16-2010, 07:45 PM
The missus and I have half seasons in the front row of 120 but we weren't scheduled to see the home openner. We got seats in the 13th row of 132 and really liked the view from up there; we seemed to be right in the middle! Obviously, it was something new for everyone up there and everyone seemed pretty excited for the better. Shame about some of the TFC play, but with so many new guys, it's going to take some time for the team to gell.

Just so glad TFC got the result! I think they will play with much improved confidence when we see them next at home.

This is my first post, although I've been a supporter since the very start and reading many of the threads here. Excellent forum people!

Cheers! :drinking:

Stencils
04-16-2010, 08:38 PM
I was pleasantly surprised with the standing going on in the north end. During a large part of the second half, people stayed standing in many of the areas and there was very little to no 'sit down please' stuff going on.

There were some chants attempted by a few people, but it was a real mix of people up there so it was difficult to sustain anything for long enough to get people into it.

I did feel bad for some of the moms and dads with smaller kids up there because there were a very few people being VERY loud with the obscenities. I prefer chants and songs at opposing keepers as opposed to just screaming C*nt at him repeatedly, but that's just me.

nfitz
04-16-2010, 10:31 PM
the scotch eggs are shite...they should not be deep-fried, they should be served breaded and coldYikes! Hot??? I've never seen a hot Scotch egg! What do they do to them if not breaded?

Perhaps I was saved!

I did feel bad for some of the moms and dads with smaller kids up there because there were a very few people being VERY loud with the obscenities. I prefer chants and songs at opposing keepers as opposed to just screaming C*nt at him repeatedly, but that's just me.I have some tickets later in the season when my 2-year old will be there ... I'm really not too concerned what she hears ... but I'm not sure I really want to hold her up so she can see other standing people for 2 hours ... hmm ... Row 17 ... down in the front everyone seemed to be sitting much of the time.

Lamps
04-16-2010, 11:05 PM
Was in the lower part of 132, really enjoyed the sight-lines and the chants that were able to get started.

Would've liked to stand, but since I was in the lower section, didn't want to block anyone else's views. Probably should have just moved to the upper part where there seemed to be other supporters standing.
Also would've like to see the small scoreboards in the south west/east corners propped up since it was too hard to make out the time with security guards,police and others on the ground standing in the way

tfc2007
04-16-2010, 11:09 PM
Was in the lower part of 132, really enjoyed the sight-lines and the chants that were able to get started.

Would've liked to stand, but since I was in the lower section, didn't want to block anyone else's views. Probably should have just moved to the upper part where there seemed to be other supporters standing.
Also would've like to see the small scoreboards in the south west/east corners propped up since it was too hard to make out the time with security guards,police and others on the ground standing in the way

Shouldve told them the field level seats arent a supporters section and they need to sit down. :P