PDA

View Full Version : Where Is Sam Cronin?

DichioTFC
04-15-2010, 11:29 PM
From the postgame press conference:

Media: What is Sam Cronin's status with the club
Preki: ...*glances away*..He's...a part of the team.
Media: I mean is there an illness? Is he injured?
Preki: No. He's training. He's training. Sam is working hard. He's...part of the group and we're watching everybody in training and we're... making decisions based on that.

Whats going on there with Cronin? He played 90 in Columbus and hasn't been seen from since. Not as a sub in the NE debacle, not in tonight's match.

He seemed like one of our gems last year, and a long-term stud for us, but Preki's kept him on the bench.

Thoughts?

Stryker
04-15-2010, 11:34 PM
I thought he dropped off alot the second half last year.
I won't be heart broken if he's moved.

ballerz
04-15-2010, 11:37 PM
Convert him to a RB? Or please move him for a pacey winger. Labrocca, De Guzman and Sanyang is good enough for me in the middle of the park.

ilikemusic
04-15-2010, 11:38 PM
Only one possibility...

http://www.dimensionsguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Dog-House.jpg

Though im sure its not nearly as nice as this spoiled little pup.

DichioTFC
04-15-2010, 11:39 PM
Convert him to a RB? Or please move him for a pacey winger. Labrocca, De Guzman and Sanyang is good enough for me in the middle of the park.

He played RB for a year in college so he can hold it down, so how about Cronin in the right, Hsucanovic on left until he gets a yellow and then put in Gargan to finish the other 80'

Fiin
04-15-2010, 11:39 PM
Maybe he had Anti-Mo thoughts or a banner..

DichioTFC
04-15-2010, 11:40 PM
Only one possibility...

http://www.dimensionsguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Dog-House.jpg

Though im sure its not nearly as nice as this spoiled little pup.

Cronin's doghouse is probably not as nice, but he's probably got the same frown :(

DichioTFC

If he had an Anti-Mo banner, he wouldnt have been allowed into the stadium.. unless he snuck in with NEE lol

Fiin
He played RB for a year in college so he can hold it down, so how about Cronin in the right, Hsucanovic on left until he gets a yellow and then put in Gargan to finish the other 80'

Or fill in for Alphabet Soup.. that dudes gonna be suspended on yellows in no time lol..

Pachuco
04-15-2010, 11:43 PM
Saric over Cronin is Preki's second worse move next to starting Garcia last game

Stryker
04-15-2010, 11:44 PM
Saric over Cronin is Preki's second worse move next to starting Garcia last game
Yup. Saric has sucked for the most part so far.

DichioTFC
04-15-2010, 11:47 PM
Yup. Saric has sucked for the most part so far.

Saric wasn't that good in the preseason games we saw on TFCTV. He's admittedly better during the season (to the point that he's not Alphabetting Soup people like Alphabet Soup) but there is no way Cronin gets benched for Saric... or Gargan... or Alphabet Soup

Pachuco
04-15-2010, 11:49 PM
The only explanation I have is that he's about to be traded for a striker. But like as soon as tonight. Or else, it don't make sense.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-15-2010, 11:53 PM
i like cronin and i think he adds alot i dont think its a terrible move that hes on the bench especially as we have so many options now, im sure preki has his reasons adn we will see why

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-16-2010, 12:04 AM
The only explanation I have is that he's about to be traded for a striker. But like as soon as tonight. Or else, it don't make sense.

The same thing occurred to me. He's got the most trade value after Frei and we have numbers, if not depth, at his position. I'd hate to see him go, but TFC needs a striker pretty bad.

James17930
04-16-2010, 12:05 AM
Cronin is another Chris Pozniak.

Can play in many different positions, but doesn't excel at any of them.

I'm quite comfortable with him as a bench guy.

Stryker
04-16-2010, 12:07 AM
Sure would be nice if we could get Teal Bunbury.
Just hope we don't get hosed again by San Jose.

James17930
04-16-2010, 12:13 AM
^ You mean KC ;)

ballerz
04-16-2010, 12:15 AM
Sam Cronin for Robbie Rogers. Two teams trade a guy they don't want to a team that needs their help. Well, not really sure if Columbus need a Cronin type of player.

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-16-2010, 12:19 AM
Sam Cronin for Kei Kamara. TFC tried to trade for him last year, he's the kind of forward they're missing. Or we trade him for an allocation and make room to sign Adebayo Akinfenwa from Northampton Town or Marc Nygaard from Randers FC (okay maybe I'm being a little silly).

ballerz
04-16-2010, 12:24 AM
Sam Cronin for Kei Kamara. TFC tried to trade for him last year, he's the kind of forward they're missing. Or we trade him for an allocation and make room to sign Adebayo Akinfenwa from Northampton Town or Marc Nygaard from Randers FC (okay maybe I'm being a little silly).

Please!!! No more allocation money!!! This will only lead to the signing of some obscure Estonian with 8 vowels in his name playing in Serbia who happens to know Preki's cousin.

AL-MO
04-16-2010, 12:28 AM
Low on the depth chart.

Jeff s
04-16-2010, 12:40 AM
He's on the bench, which is what he deserved from the start...

King Tut
04-16-2010, 02:06 AM
From the postgame press conference:

Whats going on there with Cronin? He played 90 in Columbus and hasn't been seen from since. Not as a sub in the NE debacle, not in tonight's match.

He seemed like one of our gems last year, and a long-term stud for us, but Preki's kept him on the bench.

Thoughts?

Probably going to get dropped or traded. Impossible is Nothing!:hump::facepalm:

LOOOL

SiguenzaFC
04-16-2010, 04:10 AM
We simply dont need him, we got JDG as a deffensive mid, and Saric is more attack minded (although he hasnt performed well)

Being benched will make him hungry and hopefully raises his quality

The 6 Yard Box (http://the6-yardbox.blogspot.com/%22%3E)

TFCtoMUFC
04-16-2010, 06:28 AM
I would be distraught if we traded Sam Cronin. He is a great player, and would be better than Hscanovics, Gargan, Saric on the pitch.

zamperina
04-16-2010, 07:06 AM
Comments from Bob Iarasuci on last nights soccer show...

"How do you start Gargan over Cronin?"

mastermixer
04-16-2010, 07:24 AM
I would be distraught if we traded Sam Cronin. He is a great player, and would be better than Hscanovics, Gargan, Saric on the pitch.

And the fact is this is very obvious. Which makes me wonder if there is more to this than we know.

KRO
04-16-2010, 07:30 AM
My theory is that he is being given the cold shoulder by the guys who are still around from last year because of his outspoken comments after the NYRB debacle. "What happens in the room stays in the room" kind of attitude. Maybe this is affecting his game and he is on his way out.

I hope not. How he is below Dan Gargan and Martin Saric in the depth charts is beyond me.

ensco
04-16-2010, 08:19 AM
Preki in the Globe today: "if you want me to send a bunch of ballerinas out there, I will"

Translation: Saric and Sanyang play because they're animals out there. Cronin doesn't, because he isn't.

ensco
04-16-2010, 08:28 AM
I agree with this analysis.

The key to success in life is to repackage what someone else has already said, then put it out there as your own brilliant idea.

sardinho
04-16-2010, 08:37 AM
i think he's trade bait, and preki doesn't want to "showcase" him in games where the roster makes disorganization on the pitch a virtual certainty. frei might be joining him, but a keeper can be showcased regardless of what's happening in front of him. i wouldn't be at all surprised to see one or both of them gone before our next home game.

jloome
04-16-2010, 11:30 AM
The key to success in life is to repackage what someone else has already said, then put it out there as your own brilliant idea.

Problematically, Saric is friggin' awful. There's quite obviously a reason he moved year-to-year. Preki might even recognize this but see it as an upfront sacrifice -- a loss-leader --required to get the team to play with the right attitude.

Sanyang isn't ready yet either. Both have a tendency to freeze up when they have the ball and are ready to trigger a forward move and neither would use space in front of them, instead looking for an outlet without moving from four feet in front of the backline.

bee dubya
04-16-2010, 11:39 AM
I'm surprised that Preki doesn't use Cronin more. Cronin seems to me to be a prototypical MLS starter and the type of player Preki would seem to like.

There's also the possibility that Cronin isn't someone Preki likes because he had ties to the "old guard" TFC players (Robinson, Brennan, etc).

Roogsy
04-16-2010, 11:44 AM
Comments from Bob Iarasuci on last nights soccer show...

"How do you start Gargan over Cronin?"

Because Gargan is a Preki guy.

It's obvious Preki wants nothing to do with people from last year, regardless of ability or contribution.

He wants his guys only. I can't agree with that. A good coach uses both. Takes the best of last year and adds more of his "personality" this year. Preki wants a completely new starting XI and it's hurting rather than helping this club.

Section 117
04-16-2010, 11:57 AM
I actually thought Gargan played a decent game yetserday

ManUtd4ever
04-16-2010, 11:58 AM

It's obvious Preki wants nothing to do with people from last year, regardless of ability or contribution.

He wants his guys only. I can't agree with that. A good coach uses both. Takes the best of last year and adds more of his "personality" this year. Preki wants a completely new starting XI and it's hurting rather than helping this club.

I hope this isn't the case. I hope it is more of a trial and error scenario with the roster until Preki finds the right chemistry within the group as a whole. Cronin and Gala deserve more playing time without a doubt...

DichioTFC
04-16-2010, 12:03 PM
I actually thought Gargan played a decent game yetserday

Gargan had an alright game, but there was definitely room for improvement (positioning, pace, fitness). Funny enough, Cronin is the solution to those problems but he's spent the last 180' on the bench.

DichioTFC
04-16-2010, 12:04 PM
I hope this isn't the case. I hope it is more of a trial and error scenario with the roster until Preki finds the right chemistry within the group as a whole. Cronin and Gala deserve more playing time without a doubt...

Cronin yes, but Gala is tough to fit in because of his age and the fact that he's undersized.

FOGES
04-16-2010, 12:43 PM
cronin obviously isnt an allstar but i believe hes a solid starter. of course if his heart and motivation is under question that a different story. hes better than starting on the bench thats for sure, let alone not seeing any minutes.

also, whats up with Gomez aka 'Mango'? hes very young but he had a few decent performances last year. not saying i'd pick him over Cann or Nana, but hes better than garcia as an defensive option off the bench.

[NBF]
04-16-2010, 01:25 PM
Sam Cronin, I think he got sat for insubordination, but I do want him to be traded for a Striker, it's about the only thing left to sign, which this team desperately needs.

Check this out before you start crying for Cronin's head:

-----------------------Frei------------------------
--------------------------------------------------
Gargan-------Attakora------Gomez-------------Rai
-------------Cronin---------LeBrocca--------------
---------------------------------------------------
---------------------DeGuzman--------------------
OBW--------------------------------------DeRosario
---------------------Barrett-----------------------

Thats not bad , if you ask me.

Pachuco
04-16-2010, 01:30 PM
;980708']Sam Cronin, I think he got sat for insubordination, but I do want him to be traded for a Striker, it's about the only thing left to sign, which this team desperately needs.

Check this out before you start crying for Cronin's head:

Gargan-------Attakora------Gomez-------------Rai
OBW--------------------------------------DeRosario
---------------------Barrett-----------------------

Thats not bad , if you ask me.

Put Cann in for Gomez and switch OBW and Barrett and I agree that's probably the best we can do.

ag futbol
04-16-2010, 02:00 PM
If we trade Cronin, I would for once like TFC to get their first proven winger since Ronnie O. I think a solid striker would be outside of his market value.

But you could easily poke around and get something like Nick Zimmerman who would do wonders to open up the midfield with his pace on the flank.

TFCRegina
04-16-2010, 02:12 PM
Fact: We have a lot of midfielders.
Fact: We have a lot of defensive midfielders.
Fact: Cronin is a defensive midfielder by trade.

Conclusion: We have a lot of competition for the spots, and Cronin isn't competing well enough in practice, otherwise he'd be in the slot.

I'm glad Preki has gone so far as to bench players who were fan favourites from last year. Why should they deserve automatic spots in the lineup? Nobody has asked that question yet.

Everyone talks about Cronin's obvious benefits to the squad, but really, what game did he deliver on a silver platter last year? How many games was he apart of a losing effort for the team? His role was a defensive midfielder, defense...something our team was not very good at last year.

Cronin needs to earn his spot and show he deserves to be started ahead of Saric and company in the depth chart.

Oh and there's also the possibility that he was benched for the home opener so he could be used ahead of the "weaker" (your guys' words) defensive midfielders in what will likely be one of TFC's toughest away games this season in Colorado. People were talking about how it'd be tough to go from BMO to Colorado on four days rest.

Maybe that's why he sat?

Pachuco
04-16-2010, 02:23 PM
Fact: We have a lot of midfielders.
Fact: We have a lot of defensive midfielders.
Fact: Cronin is a defensive midfielder by trade.

Conclusion: We have a lot of competition for the spots, and Cronin isn't competing well enough in practice, otherwise he'd be in the slot.

I'm glad Preki has gone so far as to bench players who were fan favourites from last year. Why should they deserve automatic spots in the lineup? Nobody has asked that question yet.

Everyone talks about Cronin's obvious benefits to the squad, but really, what game did he deliver on a silver platter last year? How many games was he apart of a losing effort for the team? His role was a defensive midfielder, defense...something our team was not very good at last year.

Cronin needs to earn his spot and show he deserves to be started ahead of Saric and company in the depth chart.

Oh and there's also the possibility that he was benched for the home opener so he could be used ahead of the "weaker" (your guys' words) defensive midfielders in what will likely be one of TFC's toughest away games this season in Colorado. People were talking about how it'd be tough to go from BMO to Colorado on four days rest.

Maybe that's why he sat?

So how do you explain Cronin being benched last game as well? that's obviously not the reason he's being benched. It's not like he's THAT important to the team where we need to save him. Nobody here disagrees that he should be earning his starting role, but when Saric is playing and Cronin isn't, there's something wrong. Saric has been brutal for 3 games now and Cronin was atleast decent in the Columbus lost. Saric is the one who should have to prove himself over Cronin, not the other way around.

Oh, one more thing. Preki was quite frank that he's sitting Cronin based on performance. If he was saving him I'm not sure why he would say that.

TFCRegina
04-16-2010, 02:23 PM
So how do you explain Cronin being benched last game as well? that's obviously not the reason he's being benched. It's not like he's THAT important to the team where we need to save him. Nobody here disagrees that he should be earning his starting role, but when Saric is playing and Cronin isn't, there's something wrong. Saric has been brutal for 3 games now and Cronin was atleast decent in the Columbus lost. Saric is the one who should have to prove himself over Cronin, not the other way around.

I'll direct you to the first half of my post, where I pointed out Cronin is not special.

TFCRegina
04-16-2010, 02:25 PM
And I'll just add to that. Cronin proved himself how? By being apart of a team that let in 5 goals against the worst club in MLS last season?

Cronin hasn't done anything to set himself apart from Saric in Preki's eyes.

Preki sees more than you or I or anyone here could ever see, because he's at every practice and he's at the game, and he watches the tape over and over and over. He'll know players better than anyone on these boards.

Pachuco
04-16-2010, 02:30 PM
And I'll just add to that. Cronin proved himself how? By being apart of a team that let in 5 goals against the worst club in MLS last season?

Preki sees more than you or I or anyone here could ever see, because he's at every practice and he's at the game, and he watches the tape over and over and over. He'll know players better than anyone on these boards.

Preki also started Garcia last game when 99% of the people on these boards could've predicted what was going to happen. I'l leave it at that.

TFCRegina
04-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Preki also started Garcia last game when 99% of the people on these boards could've predicted what was going to happen. I'l leave it at that.

And who do you propose he should have started at that time to play Centreback in his place? Hmm?

We had no depth in that position. He could have thrown in a guy he just signed, or a bunch of guys who play wing positions. Either way it would have been a disaster in the centre. Garcia or no Garcia, it would have been a nightmare in the central defense.

mclaren
04-16-2010, 02:34 PM
Preki likes aggressive, athletic, determined, hard-working players. I think he probably sees Cronin as a bit of a lightweight at the moment who needs some work on his game.

Pachuco
04-16-2010, 02:35 PM
And who do you propose he should have started at that time to play Centreback in his place? Hmm?

We had no depth in that position. He could have thrown in a guy he just signed, or a bunch of guys who play wing positions. Either way it would have been a disaster in the centre. Garcia or no Garcia, it would have been a nightmare in the central defense.

As it's been proposed many times on these boards, there were definately options to not playing Garcia. It's been discussed over and over. Harden for one was on the bench. If you don't believe in playing guys he just signed then I guess Cann should have been on the bench yesterday. Personally, we are better off with three defenders then with Garcia at CB.

trane
04-16-2010, 02:36 PM

That is why I am mixed on Preki, I like what he wants to do, but sometimes he seems to have too rigid of a mind set.

Jloome, Saric, as I have said in another post, has not struck me one way or the other. But I have not seen as much TFC this year, as I have heard so I may be missing someting. Yesterday, he struck me as invisible.

I was a big fan of Cronin, and I would have thought he was preki's type of player, I would have prefered to see him usef at RB and allowed attakora to stay at CB instead of Garcia.
Sanyang I thought had a good game yesterday, good marking, and one of the best tackles I have seen on TFC. I thought his passing was solid [well at least as solid relatively speaking].

P-NUTZ
04-16-2010, 02:39 PM
Saric has played poorly - last year cronin was, more often than not, responsible and calm with possessing and moving the ball.
He can play better than saric at the moment, and has more all around upside than gargan.
Disturbing that he has sat both games.

DichioTFC
04-16-2010, 02:40 PM

I would like to see Cronin play RB or one of the CM positions, partnering with De Guz (preferably as RCM). Its true that Preki has more knowledge of the players than we do, but judging from watching Cronin last year, I suspect that he could be an upgrade over Saric in the mid or Usanov / Gargan on the right back.

TFCRegina
04-16-2010, 02:40 PM
As it's been proposed many times on these boards, there were definately options to not playing Garcia. It's been discussed over and over. Harden for one was on the bench. If you don't believe in playing guys he just signed then I guess Cann should have been on the bench yesterday. Personally, we are better off with three defenders then with Garcia at CB.

Harden had a shitty game in Columbus, so your point isn't proven at all. Both Garcia and Harden did poorly, so it was picking poison.

And the Latvian, who was just signed prior to the New England game, was also a winger. So basically, we had the choice between two central defenders who had poor games previously and a bunch of wingers who aren't centrebacks.

And I wouldn't play 3 defenders, regardless of the situation, as a manager. Minimum four, usually five. But I prefer not having the other team rack up goals.

You'll recall the New York debacle had us playing a 3-5-2, and was an unmitigated disaster with NY employing strong wing play.

DichioTFC
04-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Saric has played poorly - last year cronin was, more often than not, responsible and calm with possessing and moving the ball.
He can play better than saric at the moment, and has more all around upside than gargan.
Disturbing that he has sat both games.

I'm hoping he starts alongside De Guz on Sunday.

TFCRegina
04-16-2010, 02:43 PM
I would make the assumption that Preki is not watching last year's tape based on the decisions as a manager so far. He's making his players earn their spots, and I'll leave it at that.

jazzy
04-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Preki in the Globe today: "if you want me to send a bunch of ballerinas out there, I will"

Translation: Saric and Sanyang play because they're animals out there. Cronin doesn't, because he isn't.

He's better than these two and Gargan......I watched him last year for all those Barrett fans he's just as dogged in his work effort, esp defensively....I think it's because that's now JDG's role....he's his back-up.

jazzy
04-16-2010, 02:47 PM
I agree with this analysis.

Out of context ...You are making up your own analysis, ...Preki not saying at all that Cronin's not aggressive.

P-NUTZ
04-16-2010, 02:49 PM
i suspect saric is better than he appears right now - but right now he's been unproductive with the ball.

Funny that the young latvian had such misadventures on that left side all night as he appears to be playing scared and lacking confidence, but it was awesome that near the end he got up and made a great block at the top of the box stopping a hard shot at net. He also almost anticipated a lose ball in the first half then backed off it - cause if he would of been more comfortable and gone with his instinct on that play he would be alone down the wing. It would be nice to see him come around and become something like Gomez if he's allowed to stay out there.

P-NUTZ
04-16-2010, 02:52 PM
And on Cronin, the comfort level he has with JDG, barret and white already is worth something. these guys should have some advantage of confidence and familiarity with each other when on the field at the same time as so many around are strangers.

jazzy
04-16-2010, 02:55 PM
Put Cann in for Gomez and switch OBW and Barrett and I agree that's probably the best we can do.

Barrett up front?...last year all over again, did you see last night's game at all?.....A sure header delivered right to his head, and again Barrett misses the net, he had to actually direct it past the net because he was right in front of it.....he.needs 8 shots on net to score 1 goal......He is effective as a winger digging up the ball, and running with it then distrbuting it....THATs all. How soon we forget.

DichioTFC
04-16-2010, 02:56 PM

The actual context behind this quotation was in regards to being a physical team with one reporter asking if the guys were playing too dangerously, or too physical. It had nothing to do with Saric, Sanyang or Cronin. I guess it had more to do with Alphabet Soup than anyone else.

FYI - Its on TFCTV Preki's post-match press conference.

DichioTFC
04-16-2010, 02:57 PM
Barrett up front?...last year all over again, did you see last night's game at all?.....A sure header delivered right to his head, and again Barrett misses the net, he had to actually direct it past the net because he was right in front of it.....he.needs 8 shots on net to score 1 goal......He is effective as a winger digging up the ball, and running with it then distrbuting it....THATs all. How soon we forget.

Theres more to being a forward than finishing. Pace, positioning, off-the-ball movement, technique... these are all positive attributes that Barrett possesses. Sure, we would like for him to score more goals, but he does all of the little things to make sure that he's on the pitch day-in and day-out

ensco
04-16-2010, 03:01 PM
The actual context behind this quotation was in regards to being a physical team with one reporter asking if the guys were playing too dangerously, or too physical. It had nothing to do with Saric, Sanyang or Cronin. I guess it had more to do with Alphabet Soup than anyone else.

FYI - Its on TFCTV Preki's post-match press conference.

He never talks about specific players. I stand by my translation!

jazzy
04-16-2010, 03:03 PM
Theres more to being a forward than finishing. Pace, positioning, off-the-ball movement, technique... these are all positive attributes that Barrett possesses. Sure, we would like for him to score more goals, but he does all of the little things to make sure that he's on the pitch day-in and day-out

Agreed which is why for the lack of wingers , I'd like to use his positive qualities, on the side creating width and a threat with his aggressiveness, just don't make him a target man.

S_D
04-16-2010, 03:04 PM

huh?

P-NUTZ
04-16-2010, 03:06 PM
i like barret as a winger - heck even thought of him as an outside mid if his ego could handle it. i still believe in his striking ability - tho he really has to hit the net on opportunities like last night. I also want to see the lads move upfield more as they get more comfortable at the back so they can start shooting more from just outside the box.

Dave67
04-16-2010, 03:08 PM
April 15th TFC in Toronto
April 18th TFC in Colorado

I suspect Preki's just keeping a couple of guys rested for Sunday. If Cronin does not play Sunday then he may not figure at all in Preki's plans.

Stryker
04-16-2010, 03:10 PM
I'm probley stating the obvious here but if Cronin doesn't play sunday he's as good as gone.

P-NUTZ
04-16-2010, 03:11 PM
that would suck. he's a starter in this league and at least a super sub.

Snoop
04-16-2010, 04:22 PM
[quote=P-NUTZ;980920]i suspect saric is better than he appears right now - but right now he's been unproductive with the ball.

I totally agree. I think the whole team is a little tentative but will come around. I think that Preki knows what he is doing with regards to Cronin. I do not believe that he is benching him because of the type of player he is. We know that he runs the entire game, plays both sides of the ball well and can play multiple positions which is exactly what Preki wants in his players.

I think he might be lighting a fire under his ass to push him to the next level.

Davenport
04-16-2010, 04:24 PM
He must have pissed Preki off.
He's a far better player than Saric.

grizzle
04-16-2010, 04:39 PM
I totally agree. I think the whole team is a little tentative but will come around. I think that Preki knows what he is doing with regards to Cronin. I do not believe that he is benching him because of the type of player he is. We know that he runs the entire game, plays both sides of the ball well and can play multiple positions which is exactly what Preki wants in his players.

I think he might be lighting a fire under his ass to push him to the next level.

That is what I was thinking also, but who knows.

DichioTFC
04-16-2010, 04:53 PM
April 15th TFC in Toronto
April 18th TFC in Colorado

I suspect Preki's just keeping a couple of guys rested for Sunday. If Cronin does not play Sunday then he may not figure at all in Preki's plans.

Here's hoping so, but Cronin didn't have a problem with back-to-back games. And the guys who should've been rested because of injuries (Peterson, Barrett) were brought on as second half subs.

I have faith in Preki but FFS we need to know whats going on with Cronin.

Standup105
04-16-2010, 09:38 PM
This must be personal. There is no way anyone with any soccer knowledge (which Preki seems to think he has in abundance) would ever rate Saric and Gargan over Cronin in the mid, and if he can play in the back like we're told, then throw Ustanov and Hsanoviciash(whatever) into that pool. These guys are dreadful...Cronin may be simple and not exactly the flashiest player, but I'd have him over everyone of these guys in any position every day of the year.

Razcle
04-17-2010, 09:05 AM

Funny...because you could also suggest that Barca is a bunch of ballerinas, with the sweet and smooth passing and trickery, and I think they are highliy regarded in the football world...lol...

However I am not suggesting that Cronin plays anything like the Champions League Title holders

ensco
04-17-2010, 09:34 AM
Funny...because you could also suggest that Barca is a bunch of ballerinas, with the sweet and smooth passing and trickery, and I think they are highliy regarded in the football world...lol...

However I am not suggesting that Cronin plays anything like the Champions League Title holders

I would suggest that if you ever meet Puyols or Xavi or Yaya Toure in a bar, just to name three, you'd be wise not call them ballerinas

Candu_88
04-17-2010, 09:40 AM
Cronin is a true box to box midfielder. IMO he was our best corner kicker and created many scoring opportunities even when playing as the ratter. Preki's failure to use one of our best young resources has already significantly dropped my confidence in him and is pissing me off. The fact he fucked up the first two away games with Garcia in the lineup was very bad too.

Understand that every time a new coach comes in for a short time the Hawthorne effect kicks in. A change in the work atmosphere motivates all employees but only for a little while. Demo a new golf driver or clubs, borrow a tennis racquet and we all hit the ball better than what is our norm. Demo and then spend 300 bucks on a new driver and three rounds later you are topping, skying, shanking, hooking or slicing again and you have actually dumped your money in the toilet. New feel and feedback stimulates our brain and improves us but it is nowhere near permanent.

The fact that the strange lineups and poor results in the first two games and the fact Preki is in the temporary Hawthorne zone is why I have no faith in Preki or Mo.

jloome
04-17-2010, 09:41 AM

OB WHite will never be a winger and Nick Labrocca is too much of a two-way mid to waste sitting deep. Plus, defences stack backwards in MLS and are tough to catch on the break, so playing a one-man frontline is a last resort tactic.

jloome
04-17-2010, 09:43 AM
[quote=P-NUTZ;980920]i suspect saric is better than he appears right now - but right now he's been unproductive with the ball.

Why? What about Saric's record of not staying with one club for more than a year in his entire career suggests we're gonna see something better.

He's Kevin Harmse, redux. Not a terrible mid, but not a very good one, prone to bad fouls, can't pass, can't jump forward (whomever suggested here he's better going forward than Cronin is mental, period.)

He'll be a backup within three games.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-17-2010, 10:30 AM

i kinda expect this and am not angry provided we arent paying him stupid money. I do kinda have more faith in him than Harmse, as to why? im not sure, i got this feeling we might see more from him

J .
04-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Cronin, while he played well, was thrust into a starters role due to a lack of depth. Now he can focus on developing his game. I think its good for him to have to work for a spot and improve. I am fine with him on the bench, the club looks like its battling more.

Stryker
04-17-2010, 11:03 AM
Yup I agree with this. I think I'm starting to see Preki's new strategy.
Signing reletively easily tradeable players at a reasonable salary till we get some big salaries off the books next year and start over.

TFCRegina
04-17-2010, 11:09 AM
^ Yep.

Cronin will likely start in Colorado. I just have a feeling that Preki sat him in New England to send a message, and at the home opener because he needed a rested midfielder for Colorado.

Pachuco
04-17-2010, 12:28 PM
OB WHite will never be a winger and Nick Labrocca is too much of a two-way mid to waste sitting deep. Plus, defences stack backwards in MLS and are tough to catch on the break, so playing a one-man frontline is a last resort tactic.

This is the lineup I was proposing...OBW is definately not a winger.

Gargan-------Attakora------Cann-------------Rai
Barrett--------------------------------------DeRosario
---------------------OBW-----------------------

You are correct about Labrocca, I missed the fact he had Lebrocca playing deeper than Deguz. Those two should be switched as well.

scooterTFC
04-17-2010, 09:30 PM
I think people on this board are overrating Cronin’s current ability as a player and his contribution to the team last year. He’s a decent young player and I think he will have a good long career in MLS. He’s a level headed, consistent but unspectacular player. His greatest strength is that he reads the game well, and really seems to understand how to play within the organized shape of the team. He combines well with teammates in basic passing sequences (makes himself available to recive the ball, offers support and works give and go plays on the outside). However, he still has a lot to work on, and as it stands right now he doesn’t have a natural position. Is he DM or a wing player?

Cronin as a DM
When the team has possession, of the ball, seems like a natural holding mid, and looks pretty effective moving the ball out of the backfield. Defensively his positional sense is pretty good but he’s to timid in his challenges, he just looks unwilling to get ‘stuck in’ - to play DM he has to get better a winning possession of the ball.

Cronin as Winger
On the wing, his problems are the inverse. Defensively he’s a good wing player, but he’s pretty useless in the attacking third. He has no eye for the goal. Last year, he looked completely uncomfortable with the ball at his feet in the attack. At times it was actually embarrassing see him treat the ball like hot potato, reflexively dumping it off to team-mates instead of passing to penetrate, getting down the wing or attacking defenders 1 on 1. As LM last year he mostly relied give and go and overlap support from Brennan vs. attacking himself.

Nuvinho
04-18-2010, 03:10 PM
He is starting today, along with Saric - Sanyang and Gargan out.

Jeff s
04-18-2010, 03:29 PM
He is starting today, along with Saric - Sanyang and Gargan out.
Gargan imo have been one of the few positives so far. Benching him is a poor decision.