PDA

View Full Version : Does Barrett Make Our Offense More Functional?

Shakes McQueen
04-15-2010, 11:14 PM
I'd like to preface this post by pointing out that I'm not saying Barrett makes our offense GREAT, or even necessarily GOOD. So before a bunch of you go buck wild about what a shitpile Barrett is, check yourselves before you wreck yourselves.

Tonight I noticed that Barrett was one of our calmest players on the ball. Almost every half-decent scoring opportunity we had in the second half, he was involved in. His passing and skill on the ball didn't make me cringe, like I did whenever most of the other guys on our team had the ball.

His poor finishing ability has been well documented, but I thought he seemed to make our offense a little more productive in the second half. He does a good job of interacting with the players around him, and reading where the play is going, something I also can't say of many of our other players.

Maybe he just looks better because some much of the rest of our roster has gotten worse, but I was happy with the performance Barrett put on tonight.

- Scott

Gazza
04-15-2010, 11:17 PM
I was wondering that myself lol...i got so excited when he came in at the second half.

Not sure if it was only because he's the best of the worst?? I have so much hope for him because he does make good runs and he has pretty good speed, he just can't finish!

He reminds me of a Brian Macabe, he means well, just can't get the job done and is prone to blunders!

I still believe he will get his 10 goals! (i said that with a semi-straight face).

Stryker
04-15-2010, 11:17 PM
Not only that but he defends better than half the defenders on our roster. I'm telling ya people, except for his glaring problem with hitting the net Barrett is a great player.

FluSH
04-15-2010, 11:19 PM
I like what I saw from Barett... as long as you understand (and almost expect) that he will have at least 2 near misses per game... then you are good to go. don't let that stress you... lol

Pachuco
04-15-2010, 11:19 PM
Barrett makes this team better, I have no doubt about that. As Stryker said, not only does he hussle while going forward but he does that going backwards as well. His obvious problem is he can't hit the net. Right now though, he is a starter in my books and I hope he starts next game.

shaggingscot
04-15-2010, 11:20 PM
Barrett's a better than average MLS player with two glaring weaknesses.

1. His fitness is for shit, he can't last 90 minutes without cramping up.
2. His finishing is horrendous.

He runs off the ball he tracks back and he has decent passing ability.

TFCRegina
04-15-2010, 11:22 PM
Montreal always brings out the best in Barrett.

Shakes McQueen
04-15-2010, 11:23 PM

In fairness to Barrett, if the rest of the guys on our team moved around as much as Barrett when they were off the ball, they might have cramps too.

- Scott

ballerz
04-15-2010, 11:24 PM
Barrett is good enough to start for TFC given the state of our roster.

Tonight, he was a big game changer and was involved in every attack in the second half.

Considering he finds himself with 5 or 6 chances per game, he can possibly score us 8 to 12 goals over the entire year.

James17930
04-15-2010, 11:26 PM

I had a thought -- maybe that's why he can't last the full 90.

Though I think we'd rather have him working his ass off for 70 mins instead of coasting through 90.

And yes, though he can't score to save his life, he does often create a lot of scoring opportunities for others. Hence the suggestion some have had of putting him on the wing.

Or we could try the 4-3-3 again with him in the mix there somewhere.

Or keep him as super-sub. As least he's versatile in that way.

Whoop
04-15-2010, 11:30 PM
If he had hair, he would have scored on that header.

His head was too slick.

DichioTFC
04-15-2010, 11:32 PM
The effect that Barrett has when he enters the game reminds me of Dichio's impact coming off the bench. The whole team just flows better, the passes connect with greater regularity, there seems to be more openness and creativity. Barrett as a super sub might not be a bad idea, but with the kind of contract he has, he should be a starter.

Cashcleaner
04-15-2010, 11:32 PM

He certainly fits in well in a supporting role, agreed. His passing...well... decent is probably the best way to put it. I've rarely been blown away by his performance as a whole, but I agree he has a fair sense of positioning and can move the ball up fairly well.

It's not really enough for me, I'll admit, however. I would like him a lot more if he could find the back of the net.

DichioTFC
04-15-2010, 11:33 PM

His head was too slick.

Are you saying he needs some grass on that noggin?
:D

Mikey
04-16-2010, 06:50 AM
It looked like DR Evil running around from up top, I was waiting for Preki to sub on a pair of sharks with "laz-er" beams.....

Petor
04-16-2010, 07:13 AM
It looked like DR Evil running around from up top, I was waiting for Preki to sub on a pair of sharks with "laz-er" beams.....

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:CiGL6hUABIyRRM:http://tvrecappersanonymous.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/dr-evil.jpg

I think he used the glare to great affect.
Had me confused for a while, who's that skinhead? :conehead:

ManUtd4ever
04-16-2010, 07:22 AM
I know Barrett has his issues as far as finishing but I love what he brings to the team. The offense undeniably has more of a flow with him on the pitch and he has an excellent work ethic. In section 119 last night he was right in front of us when he just missed a couple of chances and he was screaming in frustration. Most of the South Stand just cheered loudly as if to encourage him. It was a contrast in the crowd reaction to Barrett from last season and it was nice to see. I think with all the roster changes Barrett is definitely more appreciated this year. Personally, I want to see Chad succeed more than anyone on the squad...

KRO
04-16-2010, 07:23 AM
I'm glad it's not just me that thinks Barrett makes a difference to the team. His movement off the ball creates space for other players and he started to work very well with OBW last night.

I'm watching the first half thinking that everything has changed, there is nothing familiar from last year. Then Chad comes on and misses a sitter and all is well with the world!!!

Ron Manager
04-16-2010, 07:25 AM

His head was too slick.

He was attempting to evoke the power of Dichio.

Dudebroguy
04-16-2010, 07:38 AM
Man if he could convert 1/4 of his chances he would be top scorer for sure. Love his work rate and passion out there. As it was mentioned in previous threads if Preki works on his finishing with him it would help him so much.

stugautz
04-16-2010, 07:42 AM
I don't think we should read TOO much into Barret's performance from last night. Yes he did provide a spark and hustle a bunch, but we were playing against a 10 man side. If he keeps up the same presence against Colorado on Sunday, then I think we can begin to sing the praises.

Oldtimer
04-16-2010, 07:54 AM
He was attempting to evoke the power of Dichio.

If he plays better looking like DD than Rooney, so be it!

Stencils
04-16-2010, 07:57 AM
Barrett's presence on the pitch definitely helped our attack.

People around me are always lamenting that he misses all his chances. Well, that's what the game is, people. A series of chances where one or two go in. Not counting Barrett's work in the second half, I don't think our chances amounted to more than I could count on one hand.

The right pairing up front with Barrett will make the difference in our attack. DeRo should have scored off that pass. If they can sort things out (and DeRo can be a little more generous with the passing himself), we'll be all right for the scoring.

Yohan
04-16-2010, 10:46 AM
DeRo plus Barrett = lots of magic. They worked well together last season, and I think they'll do good again this season. For some reason those two key off each other better

sulfur
04-16-2010, 10:55 AM
DeRo plus Barrett = lots of magic. They worked well together last season
When DeRo would pass the ball to Barrett last year. After Barrett missed that chance in the opener last year that was gift wrapped from DeRo, there were very few passes his way for a while.

Hopefully DeRo's ghastly miss won't make Barrett stop passing to him this year. :D

TFC USA
04-16-2010, 10:57 AM
Barrett as a forward is terrible and easily one of the worst in the league.

Barrett doing non-forward things is very good.

Pryu
04-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Barrett does most things right. Just can't finish. Maybe he should aim right at the goalie every time he shoots or heads the ball. Hey Barrett, try aiming for the goalie!

Bloor West FC
04-16-2010, 11:13 AM
Barrett has improved greatly this year from what we have seen last year, and this is only his second game back from injury, remember he had no pre season games played.

He created some very nice plays yesterday. I think he will improve every game and will be a player that most teams will hate to be against.

jloome
04-16-2010, 11:16 AM
Not only that but he defends better than half the defenders on our roster. I'm telling ya people, except for his glaring problem with hitting the net Barrett is a great player.

Agreed. His lateral movement made Philly's backline look pretty bad. Fuck, if he could finish he'd be dominant.

Shakes McQueen
04-16-2010, 03:14 PM
Agreed. His lateral movement made Philly's backline look pretty bad. Fuck, if he could finish he'd be dominant.

I agree. There was one play in particular he made, where he skillfully cut inside and made two defenders look ridiculous, got into great position for a shot at the keeper, and unfortunately put it right into the keeper's chest.

He has also gotten pretty good at getting around defenders in the corners, and/or forcing them to concede corner kicks.

- Scott

trane
04-16-2010, 03:21 PM
I like Barret playing wide. BUT I think the way we played in the second half is not as much to do with Barrett as an individual, but playing with three strikers ( De Ro included). I thought that the way to play in the second hald would be to control the mid, by passing the ball around, making them press and the countering. BUT despite our superior numbers we were unable to pass the ball aroudn effectively enough. So preki brought in two strikers and we pressured them more, Barrett was clearly a great part of this, but in my view it has more to do with how he and OBW was ussed then his own skill set. Which is one I like.

Snoop
04-16-2010, 04:16 PM
I think Barrett and White were workhorses that changed the game when they came on. They outworked the opposition and now I kind of understand why Preki got rid of Gerba because he's not the type of player that likes to track back.

kitchener-TFC
04-16-2010, 05:17 PM
I've got a good feeling about Barrett this year. He'll get those double digits. Both him and OBW seemed to have gotten faster. They were out-running the Phily defenders.

Sally Mack
04-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Yes. Yes he does.

As terrible as his finishing is... at least he creates something to finish.

MUFC_Niagara
04-16-2010, 05:36 PM
He did very well on the left. He got into the box or won a corner almost everytime he had the ball on the wing. He really helped to stretch them in the 2nd half. But.....his finishing is shit.

J .
04-16-2010, 05:56 PM
I'd like to preface this post by pointing out that I'm not saying Barrett makes our offense GREAT, or even necessarily GOOD. So before a bunch of you go buck wild about what a shitpile Barrett is, check yourselves before you wreck yourselves.

Tonight I noticed that Barrett was one of our calmest players on the ball. Almost every half-decent scoring opportunity we had in the second half, he was involved in. His passing and skill on the ball didn't make me cringe, like I did whenever most of the other guys on our team had the ball.

His poor finishing ability has been well documented, but I thought he seemed to make our offense a little more productive in the second half. He does a good job of interacting with the players around him, and reading where the play is going, something I also can't say of many of our other players.

Maybe he just looks better because some much of the rest of our roster has gotten worse, but I was happy with the performance Barrett put on tonight.

- Scott

Ill agree with everything but the roster being worse.

TFC Cityboy
04-16-2010, 05:58 PM
he had an excellent game and works his arse off for this team. I really hope this is a breakout year for him. The lad genuinely seems to love this team and the fans and I'd like to see us get behind him.
He looked good alongside OBW last night.

Bombonera
04-16-2010, 06:00 PM
Barrett has always gotten into good position to score annd did so again last night. THe problem in the past has been the lack of scoring (athough ther have been a couple of nice ones..)

Perhaps with a little service, a good playing partner in OBW (or a new DP),etc. and a little help from the Gods that were clearly on our side last night, who knows, we might get 10+ out of him. If that happens, it's straight to the wall of honor for him (or whatever that insult to Dichio is called..he should have been first!)

RedPatchBoy
04-16-2010, 06:10 PM
I think everyone rips on barret because he doesnt hit the net much, but IMO he is one of the best players on the team. He set up dero for an awesome goal (even though he missed) it was still the best play we had all game. So think about that next time you tell someone that barret sucks.

DOMIN8R
04-16-2010, 07:43 PM
There is much to admire in Barrett. IMO - An excellent sports psychologist could make him outstanding.

I hope he does well. Fingers crossed.

Marc"2L"
04-16-2010, 08:33 PM
For how much flack we've given him, his workrate is remarkable.

Barrett is somebody we're going to be ecstatic about coming on with 30 left and we're up a goal.

Stencils
04-16-2010, 08:43 PM
he had an excellent game and works his arse off for this team. I really hope this is a breakout year for him. The lad genuinely seems to love this team and the fans and I'd like to see us get behind him.
He looked good alongside OBW last night.

+1 on this. I've always had good things to say about Barrett and lamented his lack of support. He's just missing...SOMEthing to bring his game around and help him finish those chances. Does TFC have a team psychologist??

Come on Barrett!

Bombonera
04-16-2010, 09:42 PM
On some days last year a psychologist sure doesn't seem like it would do though did it?

An exorcism on the other hand?

The father Guido Sarducci once performed one at fenway. SHould MLSe give him a call? we would I think all really enjoy his success.

Kilgore Trout
04-16-2010, 11:32 PM
Short answer: yes.

drexel10
04-17-2010, 12:11 AM
Barrett puts too much pressure on himself and that is why he is more prepared to miss a chance than score it. He is a good player, and in the last year has improved in all aspects of his game and creates many opportunities for others, so I am not sure why that isn't appreciated??

Brooker
04-17-2010, 01:11 AM
Does Barrett Make Our Offense More Functional?

hell yes.