04-15-2010, 08:08 PM
Victory..at last!

Not pretty, but I'll take it.

Southsider
04-15-2010, 08:09 PM
That was a good one!

twistedchinaman
04-15-2010, 08:10 PM
Wow that was fast...this post open already!

TFC USA
1-0-0 without Garcia.

Keep Preki, FIRE MO!

Dero is my hero.

twistedchinaman
After today I reckon I should nix the idea of going to Philly with me Reds shirt on when I'm there on 5/25... :scarf:

TOBOR !
04-15-2010, 08:11 PM
So next week why not just start out with two strikers. Maybe one of BArrett/OBW if they aren't ready for a full game and start Ibrahim with them

yeah - thank god for them and their strike rate.

Krasno.pL.
Lets keep it going in Coloraddoooo
Cann looked Solid for the most part.. . we need to get/be composed. Wayyy too nervous on the ball.

Batman
1-0-0 without Garcia.

Keep Preki, FIRE MO!

Dero is my hero.

Ya, I don't think we'll be seeing much more of Garcia.

TOBOR !
1-0-0 without Garcia

the post-Garcia era has begun...

twistedchinaman
04-15-2010, 08:12 PM
1-0-0 without Garcia.

Keep Preki, FIRE MO!

Dero is my hero.

Dwayne de Rosario, I <3 you!!!!

:scarf:

:D

s2cazz
I'm with Zeelaw... Barret for winger

GuelphStorm2007
A win, Finally!!!!! Hopefully they can build on this

ag futbol
Thank god we have Dero and they have Chris Seitz.

I assign everybody else on the team to carry Dero and Frei's bags for the rest of the season, because they were shit.

Nazzer
yeah - thank god for them and their strike rate.

Well not necesarily for the benefit of those players skills. But having DeGuz and DeRo, the two best players of the team playing out of position just seems stupid.

twistedchinaman
Ya, I don't think we'll be seeing much more of Garcia.

Thank heavens!

prizby
Question:

Where is Sam Cronin...when Amadou went down, i thought for sure it would be Sam

SO WHERE IS HE?

s2cazz
04-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Night gentlemen... I'm out. This is nothing to celebrate

GuelphStorm2007
04-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Barrett as a winger Why not.

Gazza
04-15-2010, 08:14 PM
What a shit storm!...Colorado will show us what the winds of shit really feel like.

TOBOR !
04-15-2010, 08:15 PM
Hey Stef - try to focus on the guy interviewing you.

TFC USA
That was a seriously undeserved win, but I'll take it.

Danny Califf should take up MMA.

Fushida
Preki's bold subbing of 3 attackers for 3 defenders was the game changer.... it was damn risky but I guess he lucked out in it getting us the 3 points. Though when Gargan went down I bet Preki was sweating bullets.

Shway
04-15-2010, 08:16 PM
a liability?

twistedchinaman
04-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Night gentlemen... I'm out. This is nothing to celebrate

What a shit storm!...Colorado will show us what the winds of shit really feel like.

That may be true, but for tonight just breathe -- because we can.

TFCRegina
04-15-2010, 08:17 PM
De Ro is awesome.

twistedchinaman
04-15-2010, 08:17 PM
That was a seriously undeserved win, but I'll take it.

Danny Califf should take up MMA.

It was like Doris the Ugly Stepsister, but hey...it was a win...

James17930
04-15-2010, 08:18 PM
the post-Garcia era has begun...

It sincerely better have.

s2cazz
04-15-2010, 08:19 PM
6xLsRI7-hBs

A little reminder....Lowered Expectations will get you through the season.

Inklink
04-15-2010, 08:21 PM
DeRo did well.

I thought Cann played well.

Really poor job creating chances, I thought.

Crowd was great.

Thank God for the PK and the red card.

Not very impressed, but I'll take the 3 points :) .

TFC USA
04-15-2010, 08:21 PM
I still can't believe we scored a penalty.

BTW GREAT CROWD TONIGHT AT BMO! That was great to see.

TFCRegina
04-15-2010, 08:22 PM
It was like Doris the Ugly Stepsister, but hey...it was a win...

That's what paper bags are for.

TFCRegina
04-15-2010, 08:23 PM
I still can't believe we scored a penalty.

BTW GREAT CROWD TONIGHT AT BMO! That was great to see.

I know. That's the first game we've ever gotten a fair ref job from Toledo on. A penalty and a red on the other side. Amazing!

Manutd #1
first half was soo bad for both teams, so many giveaways both midfields were shit, stupid idea putting dero up front with deguzman supporting him.....second half was so much better....deguzman looked a bit more comfortable(still needs to imporve) barret, yes he missed a sitter but looked tired comin off injury, white was very good his speed caused problems....peterson looks like he has potential and Cann looks to be the answer to our cb issue him and nana should play together for awhile and keep gorgan at rb.....on another note i love dero carrying the team but we need the rest of the team to play to his level

deacon
We play like that against 14 teams in MLS and we lose. Home opener, man up for 60 minutes, 2 gifts from their keeper, you've got to be kidding.
Let's trade Cronin right now, if he's out of favor that much with preki, if he's not going to get on pitch, let's get somebody for him, If Preki rates Gargan,Saric,Usanov ahead of cronin, I'm worried.
We should have had two straight re cards in 1st half, ESPN announcers blown away not called.
Colorado will run all over us on Sunday.

ag futbol
04-15-2010, 08:24 PM
I know. That's the first game we've ever gotten a fair ref job from Toledo on. A penalty and a red on the other side. Amazing!
Probably near the best game he's ever called.

There were a lot of cards, but they were deserved. He actually kept the game under control for the most part. He missed the one penality, so by normal ref standards it's a bad game but by Toledo standards it's 10/10

SiguenzaFC
04-15-2010, 08:24 PM
Lets keep it going in Coloraddoooo
Cann looked Solid for the most part.. . we need to get/be composed. Wayyy too nervous on the ball.

The backline looked more solid but they need to communicate better and be vocal (Garcia deserves credit)

The fullbacks need to push up so the CBs can open up and let De Guzman (Gargan seemed to want to play D Mid too) come back to receive the pass through the middle between their strikers and let him start the attack.

The ESPN commentator nailed it when he said Toronto needs to control the ball a lot more in their build up. I noticed in some instances the players closest to the ball didnt look for it and backed away or froze and it might be because of confidence, determination and chemistry issues but its something that has to change

The 6 Yard Box (http://the6-yardbox.blogspot.com/)

TFC USA
04-15-2010, 08:25 PM
Watching Seitz play makes me thankful we have Stefan Frei.

Seitz is utter shit.

Manutd #1
oh on another note the north stands are a great addition it made the stadium louder and it made it look better great job

Fushida
Probably near the best game he's ever called.

There were a lot of cards, but they were deserved. He actually kept the game under control for the most part. He missed the one penality, so by normal ref standards it's a bad game but by Toledo standards it's 10/10

Haha like I said in the game thread, if John Carver were still coach Raivis and Saric would have been redded and JDG would have gotten a yellow for diving :D

TFCRegina
04-15-2010, 08:26 PM

Seitz is utter shit.

We shoulda traded Edwards for a 2nd round pick.

ArmenJBX
04-15-2010, 08:27 PM
This is a new session I'd like to introduce to post game threads, which are the top 3 "Good", "Bad", and Ugly" and any side notes which apply. Let me know what you think! :D

The Good

-Dwayne De Rosario. Captain Fantastic, where would we be without him
-Adrian Cann. Like Frei said, he won every ball and was a welcome change.
-Preki. Good choice for subs, and looks very intimidating on the bench :D

The Bad

-Fullback yellow cards. Hscanovic especially, this is two yellows for the same incident.
-Chad Barrett's pass to De Rosario. He should have shot. If we we're 1-1, I'd be livid.
-Sam Cronin benched again. I really liked him last year and I hope Preki will too.

The Ugly

-Nick Garcia. He is still on the bench. (I kid, I kid)
-Empty seats, which speaks for itself. Mainly because I COULDA BEEN THERE! :D
-Danny Califf. Seriously, Peter Nowak should sit this punk down and give him a talking.

Sidenotes

-Grass looks awesome, and the bounce difference is noticable.
-New stands look amazing on television. Can't wait to see them live.
-Supporters Groups, and all the fans, once again, you take my breath away. Keep up the amazing work!

(I'll be doing these kinda recaps for every game if you'd like, I hope to one day be a writer for Toronto FC, so any tips, advice or critique is appreciated! :D)

-JimmyBaldX

prizby
04-15-2010, 08:28 PM

Seitz is utter shit.

Seitz was weaker in position, but i tend to disagree

I think Seitz is a lot better at crosses, he went way out of his 6 yard box to get a cross in the air, something i believe Frei has or will be improving very soon

TFC USA
04-15-2010, 08:30 PM
The bad involves Saric. Dude was making suicidal plays. So was Hscsigasouiewrweiougreoqw3u5322ic.

Nodoubtguy
04-15-2010, 08:32 PM
I thought Labrocca was really good today.....can't wait to see more of him

devioustrevor
04-15-2010, 08:32 PM
I'd also add to "The Bad" was our players' spacing, especially in the first half. At times it seemed like they all wanted to occupy the exact same space as each other. As the talking heads on the stream I was watching said, they seemed to be playing on a 30 yard wide field instead of the ~70 yards of BMO's width. I constantly saw 2-4 Union players closing down on the ball, if our players spaced themselves better we could've attacked all those open spaces they left us.

Hopefully Preki takes the lads for a walk around BMO so they can recognize the true width of the field.

twistedchinaman
04-15-2010, 08:34 PM
The Good

-Dwayne De Rosario. Captain Fantastic, where would we be without him
-Adrian Cann. Like Frei said, he won every ball and was a welcome change.
-Preki. Good choice for subs, and looks very intimidating on the bench :D

+1 to all of 'em, can't disagree...

The Bad

-Fullback yellow cards. Hscanovic especially, this is two yellows for the same incident.
-Chad Barrett's pass to De Rosario. He should have shot. If we we're 1-1, I'd be livid.
-Sam Cronin benched again. I really liked him last year and I hope Preki will too.

I don't know what else Cronin could do...but Hscanovics and the new kids need to temper themselves, they need to know that American refs are like the Katy Perry song -- Hot 'n Cold.

And Barrett...man needs to score a brilliant goal. He needs it, and we do too.

The Ugly

-Nick Garcia. He is still on the bench. (I kid, I kid)
-Empty seats, which speaks for itself. Mainly because I COULDA BEEN THERE! :D
-Danny Califf. Seriously, Peter Nowak should sit this punk down and give him a talking.

Garcia on the bench is a WONDERFULLY BRILLIANT! As for the seats -- again with the early leaving, you'd reckon GO Transit should have something worked out by now!

Califf, I will say, is like Hscanovics -- he needs to temper himself, or like the Lou Christie song..."Lighting strikin' again...again...again...again..."

Sidenotes

-Grass looks awesome, and the bounce difference is noticable.
-New stands look amazing on television. Can't wait to see them live.
-Supporters Groups, and all the fans, once again, you take my breath away. Keep up the amazing work!

The grass pitch looks wonderful -- great work by the supporters. Yoda tifo was a win.

And that, folks, is all she wrote. Like Ben Knight would say, onward!

C.Barrett19
04-15-2010, 08:35 PM
The Bad

-JimmyBaldX

How can u blame chad barrett for passing to dero he thought he was on side and he was being unselfish for dero to get a hat trick

ag futbol
04-15-2010, 08:36 PM
The Bad

-JimmyBaldX

How can u blame chad barrett for passing to dero he thought he was on side and he was being unselfish for dero to get a hat trick
Because Chad Barrett is looking across knowing he has zero defenders in front of him and he's passing it forward to Dero who is ahead of where he is.

Common sense, it was offside the second he looked across to pass it. Bad run by Dero, bad pass by Barrett.

TFC USA
04-15-2010, 08:37 PM
Garcia off this team sounds better than just on the bench.

devioustrevor
04-15-2010, 08:37 PM
The bad involves Saric. Dude was making suicidal plays. So was Hscsigasouiewrweiougreoqw3u5322ic.

Saric looked like Shite. At times it looked like he was afraid to have the ball at his feet. Not an inspiring quality in a midfielder. The Latvian is a Red Card waiting to happen.

Actaully I'm not too impressed by either of our new Fullbacks. Usanov really needs to make better decisions with his passes. Almost all the passes I seen him make were either soft passes to Nana, or passing the ball tight to the touchline leaving our midfielders not enough room to do anything with the ball.

JDG wasn't too impressive in the first half either. A lot of bad passes by him. He was awesome winning the ball though.

ArmenJBX
04-15-2010, 08:38 PM
The Bad

-JimmyBaldX

I figured it was a golden opportunity to bury the game and he looked kind of scared to take his shot. Again, it wasn't horrible but it stuck out in my mind. But hey, I beg him to prove me wrong. I'd like nothing better then Chad Barrett being a 10-15 guy, and I think everyone agrees.

Cashcleaner
04-15-2010, 08:39 PM
So.........Good thing there wasn't any protest, eh?

3 points is 3 points, I'll take the win and be happy.

twistedchinaman
04-15-2010, 08:39 PM
Tonight...the calls for blood has been quieted, but they're not going away.

Mo Johnston, you're still on notice...

devioustrevor
04-15-2010, 08:41 PM
I'd like nothing better then Chad Barrett being a 10-15 guy, and I think everyone agrees.

I think Barrett would be incredibly dangerous if played as a supporting forward to a pure goal-scorer. When he's fit he's an all-action Center Forward that does everything right except put the ball in the net.

Kilgore Trout
04-15-2010, 08:42 PM
I dunno, I think we have the players to make a good team, there's just no chemistry yet. I hope Preki can make it work.

twistedchinaman
04-15-2010, 08:44 PM
I think Barrett would be incredibly dangerous if played as a supporting forward to a pure goal-scorer. When he's fit he's an all-action Center Forward that does everything right except put the ball in the net.

So true...but wouldn't the role you speak of belong to JDG?

boozilla
04-15-2010, 08:48 PM
The ref handed us the game. Red card? Really?
Also, not a PK, as Seitz got there first.
JDG often looked disinterested.
Whatever, I'll take it. We'll need all the scrappy wins we can get.

A side note:
Aside from a couple of shouts, the 117 section left Garcia alone, when he was 'warming up.'
Classy.

Manutd #1
04-15-2010, 08:48 PM
i think barret was completely gassed he is still unfit he looked very tired and i think the defender woulda caught him plus i kno u all love dero and why wouldnt u but dero gets offside ALOT and there was no reason to be offside plus he missed

Kilgore Trout
04-15-2010, 08:49 PM
last time I checked an elbow to the face when you're all that's keeping a player from the ball and the goalkeeper was a red card.

James17930
04-15-2010, 08:49 PM

BMO record

Guess Thursdays aren't so bad after all ;)

Glad everyone went home happy.

ag futbol
04-15-2010, 08:50 PM
I'd have to disagree on both accounts.

Straight elbow to the face is a red for violent conduct.

As someone correctly pointed out on the SBI forums, even if Seitz gets the ball first (which i don't think he did) he's not allowed within the rules to drag down OBW, so it's still a pk.

TFCRegina

Next time you take an elbow to the face while running full clip let me know how it feels.

People like you should just be banned from this forum.

You could bitch about anything.

devioustrevor
So true...but wouldn't the role you speak of belong to JDG?

Why would that role belong to a Holding Midfielder. Preki had JDG play a more attacking role tonight and in the first half JDG looked lost most of the time.

James17930
04-15-2010, 08:51 PM
torontofc.ca is down.

Maybe it crashed because so many people are going there to check out highlights :)

Redcoe15
04-15-2010, 08:51 PM
A win is a win. Nonetheless, considering TFC played at home against a first year expansion side that went down a man, they were damn fucking lucky to get something. If it were any other club, they'd have shat the bed. This club still has a ways to go to be competetive, but you gotta start somewheres.

And DeRo proved tonight he deserves to wear the captain's armband. Without him, TFC would have been dead.

Waggy
04-15-2010, 08:52 PM
Next time you take an elbow to the face while running full clip let me know how it feels.

Thank you! Jesus, it's like people WANT to be unhappy. We won for christ sakes. Relax for a freaking hour.

edit: wow, 2 Jesus references in 3 sentences. Not bad for someone who isn't christian haha

twistedchinaman
04-15-2010, 08:52 PM
Why would that role belong to a Holding Midfielder. Preki had JDG play a more attacking role tonight and in the first half JDG looked lost most of the time.

So...what CAN we do with JDG?!?!

:facepalm:

James17930
04-15-2010, 08:53 PM

BMO record

Don't want this to get left behind.

TFCRegina
04-15-2010, 08:53 PM
So...what CAN we do with JDG?!?!

:facepalm:

Pay him several million dollars a year to do a job that Cronin could do.

ag futbol
04-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Agreed, between the first to second half it was night and day.

Considering Cann and Attakora aren't smooth on the ball we badly need someone with passing range to sit back there and open up the field, which is exactly what he did when he was in his natural spot.

Hardly worthy of spending your DP slot on, but considering the circumstances, it's the best use of his skills. Screw trying to play him as an AM.

Pay him several million dollars a year to do a job that Cronin could do.
Cronin has trade bait written all over him right now.

Which i completely disagree with, but what the hell it's better than letting him rot on the bench.

TFC USA

BMO record

Normally when you add seats you'll get attendance record when you have fan support as good as ours. :D:scarf:

James17930
Agreed, between the first to second half it was night and day.

Considering Cann and Attakora aren't smooth on the ball we badly need someone with passing range to sit back there and open up the field, which is exactly what he did when he was in his natural spot.

Hardly worthy of spending your DP slot on, but considering the circumstances, it's the best use of his skills. Screw trying to play him as an AM.

+1

This is where JDG is at his best.

profit89
04-15-2010, 08:56 PM
JDG played his heart out in the second half. Anyone who says different is blind.

He was all over that pitch.

profit89
04-15-2010, 08:57 PM
JDG needs to be an that Pirlo-role. Deep lying midfielder that orchestrates everything from deep in the back.

James17930
04-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Normally when you add seats you'll get attendance record when you have fan support as good as ours. :D:scarf:

Good to have it confirmed though :D

Manutd #1
04-15-2010, 08:58 PM

A side note:
Aside from a couple of shouts, the 117 section left Garcia alone, when he was 'warming up.'
Classy.

red card was a clear red card at first look i thought it was harsh but after i saw the replay he is an idiot and it was a clear elbow to the face, in any league that would be reviewed and a possible suspension would be given.

as for the penalty watch the replay white touched the ball first and i sense it was a makeup call for the none call on the white takedown

Manutd #1
04-15-2010, 09:03 PM
I think JDG has been off and on in the second half he played alot better that passing play with peterson that he finished off by crossing to barret(who shoulda scored) was pure class........i will hold off on labeling him a waste of a dp spot and what not until at least 15 games in

MFG1
04-15-2010, 09:08 PM
A shitty dribble for the first goal,
getting scored on in extra time while a man up,
winning on a penalty kick.
that was an ugly win.

the only thing that was a success was scoring on a penalty, history right there baby!

boozilla
04-15-2010, 09:11 PM
Just calling it from where I was standing. On the red card the ball was gone, so it could have gone yellow. Have not seen the replay, so you may be right.
Calls like this, and the PK have gone against us in the past, so I was happily surprised, that all.

twistedchinaman
04-15-2010, 09:12 PM
Now I can tick off a few items off my 2010 Wishlist....

http://www.clipartguide.com/_thumbs/0808-0710-2914-4641.jpg Home Opener win
http://www.clipartguide.com/_thumbs/0808-0710-2914-4641.jpg A Garcia-free night

Not bad...

Waggy
04-15-2010, 09:12 PM
A shitty dribble for the first goal,
getting scored on in extra time while a man up,
winning on a penalty kick.
that was an ugly win.

the only thing that was a success was scoring on a penalty, history right there baby!

WE WON FOR GODS SAKE! When teams beat us in the (not too distant) past when we were crap, do you think their fans complained "ya, well it was over TFC and they're shit. we should have won by more"? NO, they enjoyed a freaking win. Holy crap. WE WON! Save the complaints for the morning at least. The boys did what they needed to do, the crowd/stands/grass looked great, what more do you want?

bigtfcfan
04-15-2010, 09:13 PM
Hey guys, new here. I definitely agree that JDG needs to play in his natural DM spot. I used to watch him in this position in depor and he is a first class DM. If we are spending the money on him I think we should use him where he is most comfortable. I don't know about you guys but I don't think a DP should be all about scoring goals, but i'm sure he'll get a few goals in by the end of the season anyway.

He came alive in the second half, night and day difference. I'm looking forward to seeing more from him.

ArmenJBX
04-15-2010, 09:16 PM
Hey guys, new here. I definitely agree that JDG needs to play in his natural DM spot. I used to watch him in this position in depor and he is a first class DM. If we are spending the money on him I think we should use him where he is most comfortable. I don't know about you guys but I don't think a DP should be all about scoring goals, but i'm sure he'll get a few goals in by the end of the season anyway.

He came alive in the second half, night and day difference. I'm looking forward to seeing more from him.

Welcome to the board :D

I agree, Julian de Guzman is a defensive midfielder, plain and simple. He's pretty good there too. He looked out of position today, and never looked comfortable until he was moved back a bit.

This is just Preki's tinkering. JDG will probably be playing the natural DM role.

windsorlad111
04-15-2010, 09:18 PM
the best passing from our boys was the last five minutes. they should have been stroking it round the turf like that all game.

lame ass shit. i don't care they won. it was shit football.

windsorlad111
04-15-2010, 09:19 PM
** actually i DO CARE THEY WON ** but it was still shite

Fushida
04-15-2010, 09:22 PM
the best passing from our boys was the last five minutes. they should have been stroking it round the turf like that all game.

lame ass shit. i don't care they won. it was shit football.

Maybe you're watching the wrong league.

MFG1
04-15-2010, 09:22 PM
WE WON FOR GODS SAKE! When teams beat us in the (not too distant) past when we were crap, do you think their fans complained "ya, well it was over TFC and they're shit. we should have won by more"? NO, they enjoyed a freaking win. Holy crap. WE WON! Save the complaints for the morning at least. The boys did what they needed to do, the crowd/stands/grass looked great, what more do you want?

hahaha you have the right to condescend me after the colorado game and the result there. Sorry if I sound cynical I am currently going through withdrawl of Mo's Kool Aid, but all in all that was a fun game because I had absolutely no expectations. We have lost many a game under those same circumstances in the past, it just seems surreal. And I want a gravy boat

dag
04-15-2010, 09:23 PM
I just got back. My own (not original) thoughts on the game:

- I barely know any of the players on the team. Seriously.
- Toronto was fortunate to win. I was impressed with Philadelphia's play-making. And their goal was very good (no it wasn't offside). If it weren't for the red card in the 36th minute, I could have seen Toronto actually lose.
- We lacked confidence in the first half. Our passes were abysmal.
- The new Russian's throw-ins were uniformly terrible.
- The new guy from the Baltics - I wasn't impressed. He appeared timid to me.
- White and Barrett were catalysts for change in the second half. They each played with intensity and fervour, and wanted to go towards the Philadelphia net - something that was missing in the first 45 minutes.
- I really dumped on Barrett last year, but I was impressed with him today. He had a solid game.
- How could DeRo hit the bar on that shot in the final minutes?? Great set-up by Barrett.

ag futbol
04-15-2010, 09:23 PM
Lost in all this is that Adrian Cann played his first game and did pretty well.

Not exactly smooth, but positionally he was flawless, which is exactly what we needed at CB.

Waggy
04-15-2010, 09:27 PM
hahaha you have the right to condescend me after the colorado game and the result there. Sorry if I sound cynical I am currently going through withdrawl of Mo's Kool Aid, but all in all that was a fun game because I had absolutely no expectations. We have lost many a game under those same circumstances in the past, it just seems surreal. And I want a gravy boat

Touche lol. Sorry man, didn't mean to sound like I was attacking you, just a LOT of negatively around here after a win. I'm not saying all is well with the club, just, we can take a break from the chicken little routine for a few min. If we want to point out all the negatives around the club (and god knows we love to do that, and they give us plenty of opportunity), we should at least enjoy the fruits of our labour (like Garcia sitting). But yes, it'd be WAY better with a gravy boat

Dave67
04-15-2010, 09:29 PM
It was an ugly win. Horrifically ugly, but those ugly wins can get us into the playoffs at years end. Nice to see everyone back at BMO.

Lucky Strike
04-15-2010, 09:32 PM
For those who are interested, my player ratings are up:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=979169#post979169

brad
04-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Because Chad Barrett is looking across knowing he has zero defenders in front of him and he's passing it forward to Dero who is ahead of where he is.

Common sense, it was offside the second he looked across to pass it. Bad run by Dero, bad pass by Barrett.

Disagree - smart move by Barrett. DeRo had an empty net to put it into. Barrett's not watching the line at that point, it's up to DeRo to stay onside.

brad
04-15-2010, 09:36 PM

It happened right in front of me. I saw it from the opposite angle of the camera (IE - clear on).

Straight red, not a shadow of a doubt.

Shakes McQueen
04-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Usanov and Cann both looked pretty good tonight - certainly upgrades over an oaf like Garcia. Hscanovics, however, did not look good - certainly not an upgrade over Brennan.

DeRo and Barrett were both great. I really like Labrocca too.

My other thoughts? I can't believe Califf threw an elbow like that. What else was he expecting to get?

The OBW penalty was fortunate, but then again, he should have had a penalty earlier around the 63rd minute, that didn't get called.

This team still has problems - especially going forward, where we still look feckless. That said, fucking buck up chaps, we won the game. A win is a win is a win.

- Scott

alex andrew
04-15-2010, 09:46 PM
what i liked is the fact that they paced themselves.

it's for the first time in a long, long, very long ?

time, that not only was i sure of the victory after the second goal, but i was convinced they could play another period.

this, for me, is the big winner.

alex andrew
04-15-2010, 09:51 PM
Straight red, not a shadow of a doubt.

do you guys have a link to an official, state of the art, updated and revised 'football rules and regulations' ?

i seem to be a little rusted.

why was there an indirect free kick after the red card ?

was expecting a direct kick, made sense to me.

billyfly
04-15-2010, 09:52 PM
The 63rd minute was a card for sure. Glad for the win.

twistedchinaman
04-15-2010, 09:52 PM
It was an ugly win. Horrifically ugly, but those ugly wins can get us into the playoffs at years end. Nice to see everyone back at BMO.

Winner.

Globetrotter
04-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Expansion team
Red card
keeper fumble
PK
2-1. ouch. it's a start though.

Gazza
04-15-2010, 09:56 PM
I so hope you guys aren't judging Adrian Cann on one game. His marking was atrocious and his first touch was just ugly...lowered expectations is the phrase of the night for sure!

rocker
04-15-2010, 10:01 PM
This is probably the first game in our history where we actually got some breaks and some luck. We've played better games where we have some bullshit call against us (or Julius James pulls down a defender and blows it.. or Marvell gets a handball call and they score and we lose). So while it wasn't a good performance, finally we get some breaks! Teams have used us time and again to get those breaks and get into the playoffs.

On the Barrett pass -- I actually thought it was a good decision. De Ro was more open than Barrett was.. it was a no brainer to pass there. De Ro just fucked it up.
The one Barrett fucked up was the header -- he should have at least got it on goal.
He looked like Dichio's mini-me out there tho.. hahah.

I thought Cann and Nana weren't really tested tonight. Cann was solid but it was a relatively easy night (his fault was those bad long balls). The fullbacks were scaring me though.. that rash challenge by RH that earned a yellow was atrocious. I'm not sold on the guy yet.

I love the North Stand. I sit in 125 and it's so nice now to look over and see people and not a big space. They are right on top of the opposition keeper down to those new two rows right behind the goal. The people there were also really into the match with some chants started. Opening the area to the Food Building is also a nice relief valve for the crowds.

Gazza
04-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Preki won me over with this quote after tonight's game...

When asked about the rough tackling by his team...

"Well if you want me to bring a lot of ballerinas I will," said Preki when asked about it. "This is a hard game. We've got to be tough."

Krasno.pL.
04-15-2010, 10:03 PM
I so hope you guys aren't judging Adrian Cann on one game. His marking was atrocious and his first touch was just ugly...lowered expectations is the phrase of the night for sure!

Best Defender..

Shakes McQueen
04-15-2010, 10:04 PM
I also forgot in my short review - Preki's substitutions were great. And he made the right decision, in deciding to bench Garcia. Finally a coach who appears to have his head on straight.

- Scott

jazzy
04-15-2010, 10:05 PM
JDG played his heart out in the second half. Anyone who says different is blind.

He was all over that pitch.

Yes he was more comfortable as the game went on, and the players started realizing where he was going to be. Is it his fault noone passed to him in the first half. There were times he and DeRo would split the field and be on the wings completely ignored. They can't will the ball to themselves. And he dug the ball out many times and passed it calmly while being pressured. This is the only way we will win this year lads....UGLY, I will take it thanks over last few games...........

ballerz
04-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Am I the only one who thinks DeRo had a bad game? From my vantage point in the East stand, he was lazy as hell standing wide left. Waved for the ball but won't move into space. He won't give up the ball until it is way too late. He looked a tad slower and perhaps age has caught up to him?

Yeah, he scored twice but one was a gift and one was a PK. On the scoresheet, he looks great. On the TV, he probably looked alright. Live, you can see all that is wrong with him and he looked terrible.

Whoop
04-15-2010, 10:14 PM
I think Ljungberg was right about Philly. They are a rough team.

Gazza
04-15-2010, 10:15 PM
Am I the only one who thinks DeRo had a bad game? From my vantage point in the East stand, he was lazy as hell standing wide left. Waved for the ball but won't move into space. He won't give up the ball until it is way too late. He looked a tad slower and perhaps age has caught up to him?

Yeah, he scored twice but one was a gift and one was a PK. On the scoresheet, he looks great. On the TV, he probably looked alright. Live, you can see all that is wrong with him and he looked terrible.

You might be the only one, yes. He's our only game changer.

Whoop
I'm not the biggest DeRo guy around but I thought he played well.... except for his Barrett-esque miss... LOL

He puts that in it's 3-1 and suddenly the scoreline doesn't look so bad.

It's a start though... hopefully they can build on it.

jazzy
** actually i DO CARE THEY WON ** but it was still shite

IT IS NEVER SHIT WHEN YOU WIN..........Holly F$%k get out more!!!

TFC Cityboy
04-15-2010, 10:16 PM
papered over the cracks, for me....to struggle to overcome a 10 man expansion team is not going to get me excited. Havinbg said that, we got the win which we needed so we are off and running.
Do I think we'll have a successful season and make the playoffs?
erm no

ManUtd4ever
04-15-2010, 10:18 PM
I just got back from the game. Great atmosphere as always. The pitch and the North Stand gave BMO the look and the feel of an authentic football ground.

The first half was terrible. The team was out of sorts with a questionable starting lineup (other than Garcia on the bench) and JDG and DeRo were ineffective while out of position.

The second half was somewhat encouraging albeit with Philly down to 10 men. I saw glimpses of chemistry among the attacking players after Preki made the substitutions allowing JDG to move back. JDG played his best half of football since signing with TFC.

TFC could have blown the game wide open in the last 30 minutes but a lack of finish still plagues the team. Cann was better than advertised and Usanov showed flashes of speed and creativity.

Overall, a work in progress took the first step towards respectability tonight...

twistedchinaman
04-15-2010, 10:18 PM
papered over the cracks, for me....to struggle to overcome a 10 man expansion team is not going to get me excited. Havinbg said that, we got the win which we needed so we are off and running.
Do I think we'll have a successful season and make the playoffs?
erm no

With the way we play tonight, and the way we stand?

Hell no.

But again this game has restored just one iota of faith. I just hope it builds...

Super Cereal
04-15-2010, 10:19 PM
Anyone else very impressed with the two new fullbacks?

Gazza
04-15-2010, 10:21 PM
I'm not the biggest DeRo guy around but I thought he played well.... except for his Barrett-esque miss... LOL

He puts that in it's 3-1 and suddenly the scoreline doesn't look so bad.

It's a start though... hopefully they can build on it.

He can blame that miss on the offside! lol...those flags can be distracting;)

Whoop
04-15-2010, 10:23 PM
Either way... that was horrific... LOL

On the plus side, we scored from the spot!

jazzy
04-15-2010, 10:24 PM
[quote=ballerz;979268]Am I the only one who thinks DeRo had a bad game? .....Yes

123 elite
04-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Fortunate to say the least. I don't get all the people on here saying it is negative to call it for what it was. It was a shit show. The first half was one of the worst examples of live football i have ever seen. JDG and Hscenovics (or whatever he's called) were dreadful. Dero was out of position and running around not knowing what to do. If that sending off happened against us we would all be screaming about it. No doubt about that but we got the break. The second half showed some promise. JDG pulling back and and White and Barrett played really well. And that was a really smart pass by Barrett. Its a team game and his team-mate was in a better position. End of.
Other plus was Cann. Very solid. Long way to go though. Something to give us a smile

Gazza
04-15-2010, 10:26 PM
Either way... that was horrific... LOL

On the plus side, we scored from the spot!

And he's done nothing but produce, which is all you can ask of him. If only the others would follow suit. Although, i was impressed with OBW's movement and speed.

Maybe he's finally building some confidence in his newly constructed knee?

ballerz
04-15-2010, 10:27 PM
You might be the only one, yes. He's our only game changer.

I guess we have to designate him a game changer. When we couldn't get a shot on goal in the first half, he managed to attempt a 50 yarder!

ballerz
04-15-2010, 10:29 PM
Just to continue my DeRo rant...I bet you that if he plays outright at forward for the whole season, he would lead the league in offsides. He simply does not focus on where the defenders are....or he is lazy

Lennon
04-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Just got back. I hope I'm not the first to say this ... I think we were very fortunate to win this one.

We had a very difficult time keeping possession in Philly's end ... for most of the first half it looked like we were the away team. Second half wasn't much better ... we only created one scoring chance (Barrett's missed header) until White was taken down in the box ... and we were at home playing against a 10 men expansion team :ack2:

We've got a lot of work to do if we're going to sneak into the playoffs ...

jazzy
04-15-2010, 10:31 PM
Petersen also attacked and crossed beautifully, new for us

billyfly
04-15-2010, 10:33 PM
This is a "ping-pong" league. Can anyone hold the ball on the ground for more than 30 secs?

Whoop
And he's done nothing but produce, which is all you can ask of him. If only the others would follow suit. Although, i was impressed with OBW's movement and speed.

Maybe he's finally building some confidence in his newly constructed knee?

I'm not disputing his performance tonight. Someone in the ratings thread gave him a 9.

I just think that's a little generous.

Auzzy
I don't know about you guys, but I GOT my gravy boat tonight. OK, it was made out of cardboard, and it said "Smoke's Poutine" on the side, but it was a GDMF gravy boat!

A goal on a PK, and a gravy boat, and a media guide, I'm a very happy man.

Goodnight!

Gazza
04-15-2010, 10:34 PM
I'm not disputing his performance tonight. Someone in the ratings thread gave him a 9.

I just think that's a little generous.

Haha, that was ME!...we'll agree to disagree!

But the poutine gets a 10 in my book!

billyfly
04-15-2010, 10:37 PM
BTW - it was good to see all my regulars back in 112 (and a few new friends)

twistedchinaman
04-15-2010, 10:37 PM
I still don't get this whole hubbub about gravy boats...but still...

Tonight JDG (I think) when dropped back a little looked better. In the first half, yes he was absolutely atrocious.

jazzy
04-15-2010, 10:41 PM
Fortunate to say the least. I don't get all the people on here saying it is negative to call it for what it was. It was a shit show. The first half was one of the worst examples of live football i have ever seen. JDG and Hscenovics (or whatever he's called) were dreadful. Dero was out of position and running around not knowing what to do. If that sending off happened against us we would all be screaming about it. No doubt about that but we got the break. The second half showed some promise. JDG pulling back and and White and Barrett played really well. And that was a really smart pass by Barrett. Its a team game and his team-mate was in a better position. End of.
Other plus was Cann. Very solid. Long way to go though. Something to give us a smile

Because I, We, have been critical since last years New York massacre, and yes we are at the bottom of the pack in teams but I go to a enjoy the game, especially when we win and lord knows we have lost al lot of games in the last minute. whatever. But I'd like to take a breather from the easier negativity, even just for the night and celebrate a win. We have all summer I'm sure to bitch. with plenty of ammo waitin. Remember Philly had nothing to lose and we HAD to win...which may explain the first half. also new teammates and positions etc,,,there was a passion out there thank god.....

Mikey
No Garcia at the back and Doctor Evil playing up front, good changes by Preki!

Shakes McQueen
I still don't get this whole hubbub about gravy boats...but still...

Mo promised us gravy boats, yet we have no gravy boats to speak of!

I came to the game with a two-stick that just said "GRAVY BOAT" on it, but the security folks took away, saying they were specifically ordered to confiscate any banners that mentioned Mo's inability to give the supporters their promised boats of gravy.

- Scott

DichioTFC
04-15-2010, 10:43 PM
Because I, We, have been critical since last years New York massacre, and yes we are at the bottom of the pack in teams but I go to a enjoy the game, especially when we win and lord knows we have lost al lot of games in the last minute. whatever. But I'd like to take a breather from the easier negativity, even just for the night and celebrate a win. We have all summer I'm sure to bitch. with plenty of ammo waitin. Remember Philly had nothing to lose and we HAD to win...which may explain the first half. also new teammates and positions etc,,,there was a passion out there thank god.....

definitely. the first half was a little shaky, but credit where credit is due, the possession was improved and the teamwork / communication was better with garcia out. if everyone considers TFC in the gutter then that means we have nowhere to go but up

twistedchinaman
04-15-2010, 10:46 PM
Mo promised us gravy boats, yet we have no gravy boats to speak of!

I came to the game with a two-stick that just said "GRAVY BOAT" on it, but the security folks took away, saying they were specifically ordered to confiscate any banners that mentioned Mo's inability to give the supporters their promised boats of gravy.

- Scott

He promised gravy? Hmmm, must've missed that part. But damned if I want my gravy boat now!

:lol:

Pachuco
04-15-2010, 10:49 PM
Well...I payed to go watch a professional game and instead I was surprised two house league teams showed up to play. We were no doubt going to lose this match until Califf made a bonehead move. I've celebrated losses more then I would ever celebrate this discusting win.

Usanov and Hscanovic, HORRENDOUS. That's Hscanovic's second game sucking shit, hopefully he gets better. Usanov, well he gets a by since that's his first game. He knows how to go forward, unfortunately has no idea how to defend (note the goal Philly scored).

Dero, well he's Dero. He has a bad game and still manages to score 2 goals. We've never had a winner like this on the team and I'm hoping we don't lose him to his own frustration.

Deguz - Meh, this guy isn't worth 200K and somehow he's making alot more. I'm done with waiting for him to get better.

Saric - fuck me, horrible. And to think Preki keeps playing him over Cronin. Fucked up!

Cann - pleasant surprise in the air, doesn't know how to pass the ball. One of the main guys that made me feel like I was watching house league with constant long balls to the other team. Nana did the same today, hopefully this isn't what Preki is teaching.

Labrocca was somewhat invisible. Didn't really see much from him.

Peterson looked like he might have some moves and speed. Still need to see more.

OBW atleast hustled when he came on the field. He seemed hungry to me.

Barrett was hungry as well, but still, same old barrett with two headers where he couldn't hit the net. He did give Dero a freebie for a hat-trick which was the right decision in my mind.

Frei - wasn't all that busy thanks to the ping pong play that went on in the midfield but he stepped up on that one diving save he needed to make.

Gargan - I don't know, he was ok I guess. He's definately better then the other two outside backs.

Enjoy the win boys, I have a feeling we won't be seeing another for a while.

Cashcleaner
04-15-2010, 10:53 PM
Quick question everyone.

Does anyone know why Mo was absent from the match tonight? The Fan 590 mentioned it at the start of the broadcast and it was confirmed afterward. Anyone hear anything more about it?

Krasno.pL.
04-15-2010, 10:55 PM
Quick question everyone.

Does anyone know why Mo was absent from the match tonight? The Fan 590 mentioned it at the start of the broadcast and it was confirmed afterward. Anyone hear anything more about it?

"Scouting" ;)

Gazza
04-15-2010, 10:56 PM
"Scouting" ;)

Literally spit out my water...thanks! ;)

twistedchinaman
04-15-2010, 10:58 PM
"Scouting" ;)

Oh no you did-n't! :lol:

twistedchinaman
04-15-2010, 11:00 PM
Well...I payed to go watch a professional game and instead I was surprised two house league teams showed up to play. We were no doubt going to lose this match until Califf made a bonehead move. I've celebrated losses more then I would ever celebrate this discusting win.

Usanov and Hscanovic, HORRENDOUS. That's Hscanovic's second game sucking shit, hopefully he gets better. Usanov, well he gets a by since that's his first game. He knows how to go forward, unfortunately has no idea how to defend (note the goal Philly scored).

Dero, well he's Dero. He has a bad game and still manages to score 2 goals. We've never had a winner like this on the team and I'm hoping we don't lose him to his own frustration.

Deguz - Meh, this guy isn't worth 200K and somehow he's making alot more. I'm done with waiting for him to get better.

Saric - fuck me, horrible. And to think Preki keeps playing him over Cronin. Fucked up!

Cann - pleasant surprise in the air, doesn't know how to pass the ball. One of the main guys that made me feel like I was watching house league with constant long balls to the other team. Nana did the same today, hopefully this isn't what Preki is teaching.

Peterson looked like he might have some moves and speed. Still need to see more.

Barrett was hungry as well, but still, same old barrett with two headers where he couldn't hit the net. He did give Dero a freebie for a hat-trick which was the right decision in my mind.

Frei - wasn't all that busy thanks to the ping pong play that went on in the midfield but he stepped up on that one diving save he needed to make.

Gargan - I don't know, he was ok I guess. He's definately better then the other two outside backs.

Seriously, what were you expecting? Two running works-in-progress...it's going to be ugly either way no matter how you slice it.

kodiakTFC
04-15-2010, 11:02 PM
I didn't get to see the game because I am in Montreal + I had a macroeconomics exam, which was damn near impossible. Terrible day that only gets worse because I have 2 finals in 2 days still.

Gazza
04-15-2010, 11:02 PM

Your description of Cann was brilliant, couldn't have said it better myself.

Pachuco
04-15-2010, 11:03 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Seriously, what were you expecting? Two running works-in-progress...it's going to be ugly either way no matter how you slice it.

I was expecting even worse then what I saw. What does that have to do with anything? I'm giving my thoughts on how the game went. Who cares what my expectations where? If my expectations were low (which they were) does that mean that they played better because of it?

rocker
04-15-2010, 11:04 PM
just watched the highlights on Major League Soccer Soccer.com ;) and the North Stand looks great on TV! it looks like two "decks" because the people standing + the people in those first two rows + the people outside the group buildings all blend together into what looks like a lower deck. And the camera doesn't even see the top of the north stand when showing the De Ro free kick, so it looks massive.

Pachuco
04-15-2010, 11:06 PM
Your description of Cann was brilliant, couldn't have said it better myself.

I will say this though, nobody was moving for any of the defenders when they had the ball. So I won't put all that blame on Cann. In the end, he exceeded my expectations today.

FluSH
04-15-2010, 11:06 PM
That Barrett pass was one of the greatest things I've seen at BMO Field (sadly) too bad it did not connect well...

Super Cereal
04-15-2010, 11:10 PM
I will say this though, nobody was moving for any of the defenders when they had the ball. So I won't put all that blame on Cann. In the end, he exceeded my expectations today.
Christ, I don't see how you could be too critical of Cann. He was being put in a bad situation (lt's face it, anyone is given the standard of play the team has demonstrated, home opener, replacing all star Nick Garcia etc.) and I thought he was impressive. Nana was, as expected, the best defender, but I thought Cann played well above expectations and earned another start.

Just my opinion though, I'm a little more optimistic than you.

Pachuco
04-15-2010, 11:12 PM
Christ, I don't see how you could be too critical of Cann. He was being put in a bad situation (lt's face it, anyone is given the standard of play the team has demonstrated, home opener, replacing all star Nick Garcia etc.) and I thought he was impressive. Nana was, as expected, the best defender, but I thought Cann played well above expectations and earned another start.

Just my opinion though, I'm a little more optimistic than you.

Ummm..I'm confused, didn't we just say very similar things? :) I definately think he earned another start. Hands down better then what I've seen from Harden and of course Garcia.

EDIT: BTW - Cann was better then nana today in my opinion. They were both awefull with their passes out of the back but Cann was great in the air. To the point he was stealing Nana's headers..hehe.

ag futbol
04-15-2010, 11:14 PM
Just to continue my DeRo rant...I bet you that if he plays outright at forward for the whole season, he would lead the league in offsides. He simply does not focus on where the defenders are....or he is lazy
I love these arguments, he can lead the league in offsides and shots taken for all i care. If he scores, that wins games.

Sure that was one run he didn't hold where he should have scored. But the bottom line of his game today was results.

I think people are also forgetting that every team we play blankets Dero with multiple guys and more or challenges anyone else on this team to make a play in the attacking third. You'd think some of these guys would be stepping up considering the amount of attention he's drawing.

Krasno.pL.
04-15-2010, 11:14 PM
Cann played very well! . very confident in his tackles . and in the air. Great to see over Garcia..

Super Cereal
04-15-2010, 11:19 PM
Ummm..I'm confused, didn't we just say very similar things? :) I definately think he earned another start. Hands down better then what I've seen from Harden and of course Garcia.

EDIT: BTW - Cann was better then nana today in my opinion. They were both awefull with their passes out of the back but Cann was great in the air. To the point he was stealing Nana's headers..hehe.
haha, didn't mean to say Christ in that fashion, my apologies! We were agreeing. :)

123 elite
04-15-2010, 11:40 PM

That wasn't a bitch session. It was the way I saw it. I'll take the win but there's no denying it was utter crud on a plate. Again.... points to dero, white, barrett, frei and Cann. But lucky lucky ref breaks.

James17930
04-16-2010, 12:02 AM
Just a random thought -- does Hscinaaoivaoivics play for the Latvian National Team?

Was he part of that game against Canada in the snow last year in Riga?

Whoop
04-16-2010, 12:04 AM
Hasn't played for the senior team.

mclaren
04-16-2010, 12:25 AM
We played very badly but got the 3 points..I'm happy with that. We have to remember that some of these guys have barely played together and they need time to gel. I'm a lot happier now that Preki is in charge - I actually feel like we're in good hands for a change i.e. he knows what the hell he is doing! Preki himself said we're way off where he wants us to be and I actually believe him, unlike the regular lies we've heard over the last few years. Preki actually has a plan to improve the team and the fact he's cleared out a lot of the deadwood is a good sign - the players he is bringing in are more athletic and suit this league much better. Not a good performance overall but I think we'll get better..still need a striker or too though.

menefreghista
04-16-2010, 05:37 AM
Just a random thought -- does Hscinaaoivaoivics play for the Latvian National Team?

Was he part of that game against Canada in the snow last year in Riga?

LOL. That game was against Estonia.

Batman
04-16-2010, 06:03 AM
just watched the highlights on Major League Soccer Soccer.com ;) a

:D:D:D

Goalie20
04-16-2010, 08:31 AM
Watched the game with my daughter in the front row of the North stands. Great seats! I agree with most of the comments and this is a work in progress. It would have been a loss against many other teams. Cann was impressive in his debut.

Section 110
04-16-2010, 08:40 AM
Dwayne de Rosario, I <3 you!!!!

:D

I saw him first!

But seriously - we all doubted him as our captain - including me. Shame on us. Even if he sometimes spouts off a little too much, man he's the hardest working guy on the field game in and game out, and with results!:scarf:

mastermixer
04-16-2010, 08:41 AM
We squeezed out a win against a bad expansion team with 10 men.
We may be able to compete against Colorado on Sunday, but I'm worried about the Seattle game next weekend. They are a very organized squad and I'm sure Ziggi will be able to take advantage of our weaknesses.

koryo
04-16-2010, 08:46 AM
We were gifted that game last night, let's be fair. In no way did we earn the win on the balance of play.

But I'll take it, especially given the number of times in the past a ref - that ref - has jobbed us.

Additionally, we're a better side when we play 4-4-2 with Barrett up front. Last night he was running his arse off, winning balls and delivering some nice crosses in.

I've thought it for some time now, he should be a winger.

Oblio2
04-16-2010, 09:39 AM
Agree. Barrett should be a winger.
He may not score much but he does hussle....

And OBW is a breath of fresh air.

Bloor West FC
04-16-2010, 09:40 AM
OK, so the win was great, but when were up a man for most of the match I did not expect to still see Philli in our on half for most of the game. I was very happy with Chad, I know he missed great chances but he is creating good balls in there zone gave us a few corner kicks which is good. His progress is really getting there I hope he should be in better shape by the sounders game. And hey the Danny Dichio look for him might also be helping :).

The crowd was good but needs to wake up, I think most people were tired from work or just not regulars. The massive was a complete failure with the west side of the south stands.

ACSertL
04-16-2010, 09:40 AM

I agree with this. For the most part our players weren't giving the centre backs much of an option so they went the safe route and just booted it up the field. I'd much rather them play safe.

I really liked Cann's aggressiveness in the air. Didn't lose too many aerial challenges from what I can remember.

ACSertL
04-16-2010, 09:50 AM
As for Usanov. I didn't think he had a particularly horrible game despite losing his marker on the Philadelphia goal. On the throw ins he looked a bit frustrated with the lack of movement and poor touches after he put the ball back into play.

I like his fire though. He had to be restrained after challenge he received from Miglioranzi (which could have warranted a red...I think he was saved by the fact that Califf was ejected 4 minutes prior) although it could have been a little payback for his challenge on Torres. And I think he could be fairly promising going forward.

Hope he sees some more time.

Lucky Strike
04-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Just finished reading Philadelphia's game thread over at Big Soccer. Good to confirm that yes, these are indeed Philadelphia folk - most are irrational and blame the referee when they lose. I've got plenty of experience with that one as a Pittsburgh hockey fan.

ginkster88
04-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Just finished reading Philadelphia's game thread over at Big Soccer. Good to confirm that yes, these are indeed Philadelphia folk - most are irrational and blame the referee when they lose. I've got plenty of experience with that one as a Pittsburgh hockey fan.

I would re-read some of our older post-match threads before you brand Philadelphians as irrational.

Pachuco
04-16-2010, 10:30 AM

Lucky, if we lost in that fashion what do you think this board would be saying? We probably take the cake around the league when it comes to bitching about refs. Our own coach got involved last year.

Lucky Strike
04-16-2010, 10:42 AM
I would re-read some of our older post-match threads before you brand Philadelphians as irrational.

Lucky, if we lost in that fashion what do you think this board would be saying? We probably take the cake around the league when it comes to bitching about refs. Our own coach got involved last year.

I can appreciate what you both are saying, but that's not the issue for me; what TFC supporters say in similar circumstances doesn't disprove my assertion.

ensco
04-16-2010, 10:45 AM

I was impressed by the caliber of discussion in that thread, actually.

This bit was a laugh, from a PU supporter who had been at BMO:

At the bar after the game, people bought us a many beer, I asked a few people what was the closest MLS city to them and it gave me an idea for a tag line "Toronto. eight hours from everywhere."

TFC USA
04-16-2010, 10:47 AM
Barrett made the right decision to pass. Who are you bashers fooling to think he would actually score anyway?

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Barrett was a beast last night........When OBW and BARRETT came on it made a huge difference!

If we can go out and clean up the back end.....as it was just awful to watch!

I think we'll be fine

FootieChick
04-16-2010, 11:58 AM
We won on a whim... we were lucky. Am I happy? yes... am I satisfied with the way we played? Heck no! we need to step it up a knotch. Barrett though, holy crap! He played very well :)

Cashcleaner
04-16-2010, 12:10 PM
^ I've seen a lot uglier soccer played at BMO Field, so I'm not too hung up over how we won. Philly was coming off a good win last week against DC and I think they played confidently, so we can't really say it was a lucky win against a bottomfeeder team.

We definitely do need to improve if we want to go anywhere this season, though.

trane
04-16-2010, 02:08 PM
Far from a perfect game. We started rough, passing was not great all game. But we held our shape better then before. We did drift to far to one side or the other, hence Usanov. Goal. I thought JDG and De Ro worked hard. The CB pair looked solid, the fullbacks looked very promising. Sanyang made some great, great plays and tacles , not sure if you so it on the north end. La Brocca worked hard. Barret worked hard, OBW worked hard. We have a lot of work, BUT I do not think we got lucky I think we were the better team because of what we did right. Their goal resulted from a slip up. The first red was deserved, the CB saw JDG, and put his had out to stop him, he got away with a couple of grabs on De Ro. We did get lucky that Shitz let the first goal in, as it was shot at him, BUT it had great pace. The second one was the result of great hustel by OBW. We could have had a third, and Barrett deserves the praise for that, and De Ro's finsih was almost fantastic. Almost. But them are the brakes. 3 points good. Lets get better. I like the back line it may be the best we have had, clearly to early.

Super Cereal
04-16-2010, 03:16 PM
I like his fire though. He had to be restrained after challenge he received from Miglioranzi (which could have warranted a red...I think he was saved by the fact that Califf was ejected 4 minutes prior) although it could have been a little payback for his challenge on Torres. And I think he could be fairly promising going forward.
Damn, I missed this. I'd love to see it if anyone has a video?

Yeoman
04-16-2010, 04:38 PM
i've let it simmer in me long enough
now i know that peter and flush both were trying to ensure that no one got near the drums.
but you fucking assholes try and beat my drum again, or decide to try and push me out of the way so you can jump around?
i'm going to fucking jab you right in the side of the knee cap and hope i dislocate it.

Stryker
04-16-2010, 11:10 PM
I got the impression from watching the game on TV that Dichio 24 is already starting to die with Joe Public in the stands. Wasen't nearly as loud as usual.

T.O TILL I DIE
04-17-2010, 12:09 AM
I got the impression from watching the game on TV that Dichio 24 is already starting to die with Joe Public in the stands. Wasen't nearly as loud as usual.

noone was that loud as usual:facepalm:...when i seen rpb /usector do the bounce most of the usector section wasnt doing anythingg! im not saying usectors bad as a supporter group there amazing but to much scalpinngg there! i thought for homeopener we wouldve been louder butt....
(and there massive was a hugee FAILL ahahaha)

t.o_moose
04-17-2010, 04:52 AM
i've let it simmer in me long enough
now i know that peter and flush both were trying to ensure that no one got near the drums.
but you fucking assholes try and beat my drum again, or decide to try and push me out of the way so you can jump around?
i'm going to fucking jab you right in the side of the knee cap and hope i dislocate it.

is this supposed to be directed at me? Because your drum was on my seat during the game