PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't the Home Opener a sell out????

GabrielHurl
04-15-2010, 12:27 AM
We've got grass

We've got more seats in the ground

We've got a DP who has had a full pre-season with the rest of the team

We got all we wanted, right????????????

Tomorrow nights weather is gonna be good

So when I go onto Ticketmaster tonight - how am I able to pick up a pair in 121 no problem, similarly I can can pick up 8 seats together in sections 104 and 227 respectively?

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-15-2010, 12:40 AM
There was an early thread on this. Not great, I think the Thursday and the start time hurt a little. I'm hoping it's a sellout come kickoff, guessing it will be 19k and change.

tfc2007
04-15-2010, 12:43 AM
The party is over.

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-15-2010, 12:43 AM
I just looked, I can't get 8 anywhere.

tfc2007
04-15-2010, 12:45 AM
I could get a pair though.

GabrielHurl
04-15-2010, 12:47 AM
There was an early thread on this. Not great, I think the Thursday and the start time hurt a little. I'm hoping it's a sellout come kickoff, guessing it will be 19k and change.

Its the home opener - the night it happens shouldn't count for squat - considering how long we've been waiting for meaningful football at BMO

19k and change isn't a sellout out though - especially with the 1500 new seats - making BMO's capacity 22,000

What happened to this 13,000 people waiting list we've all been told about??

It can't be all scalpers - can it?

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-15-2010, 12:48 AM
I can get 6. I think it might be okay, there's been some so-so crowds on weekdays before. There's been the suggestion that the Sunday Sounders game is a sellout. I think the start time is a bit of a deterrent, unless you're close in to the city, 7 pm can be a bit tough.

I'd like it to be a sellout, but I'm not going to let it ruin my enjoyment of the game if it's not.

GabrielHurl
04-15-2010, 01:01 AM
I can get 6. I think it might be okay, there's been some so-so crowds on weekdays before. There's been the suggestion that the Sunday Sounders game is a sellout. I think the start time is a bit of a deterrent, unless you're close in to the city, 7 pm can be a bit tough.

I'd like it to be a sellout, but I'm not going to let it ruin my enjoyment of the game if it's not.

The Jays Home opener was on a monday night at 720pm and it was a sellout - I don't think we can blame the day or time anymore

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-15-2010, 01:13 AM
^ That's different. Opening day is an event in baseball with some tradition behind it. I think the date and time are hurting the tickets sales. The performance of the team is probably a factor. Since you're so keen on shooting down my theories, why do think it's not a sellout?

Whoop
04-15-2010, 01:19 AM
See tfc2007's post.

Gabe is right though.

Home openers, in any sport, tend to be automatic sellouts.

I'll wait and see though what happens during the year... but methinks there will be more season tickets being available next season.

Hooligan69
04-15-2010, 01:26 AM
Why isn't the Home Opener a sellout????

Team sucks.

Free Agents
04-15-2010, 01:36 AM
Team sucks.

:D...

Shakes McQueen
04-15-2010, 01:40 AM
Combination of total malaise about the team after three years of failure, and a shitty start time on a shitty day for a home opener.

I'm also pretty sure the new seats are single ticket only. Perhaps if they were season seats, people would be snapping them up.

- Scott

GabrielHurl
04-15-2010, 01:46 AM
^ That's different. Opening day is an event in baseball with some tradition behind it. I think the date and time are hurting the tickets sales. The performance of the team is probably a factor. Since you're so keen on shooting down my theories, why do think it's not a sellout?

What's the difference between a home opener in baseball and the first game of the MLS season at BMO with grass that we've been waiting for?

The date and time thing is a weak excuse.

Why do I think its not a sellout - it's been mentioned twice already - the party/novelty factor has worn off.

That and the fact the team is playing complete garbage

GabrielHurl
04-15-2010, 01:51 AM
Combination of total malaise about the team after three years of failure, and a shitty start time on a shitty day for a home opener.

I'm also pretty sure the new seats are single ticket only. Perhaps if they were season seats, people would be snapping them up.

- Scott

Its no worse than the Jays opener on Monday night - I don't buy this excuse

The new seats might be singles only - but what about the groups of 6/8 tickets you can get together

I haven't even checked TicketExchange yet

Whoop
04-15-2010, 02:00 AM
A number available on TicketExchange.

Including a couple of handful of tickets in the south end.

ilikemusic
04-15-2010, 02:07 AM
This is what you get when your team has Maple Leafs-esque results but none of the history.

Waggy
04-15-2010, 02:19 AM
What's the difference between a home opener in baseball and the first game of the MLS season at BMO with grass that we've been waiting for?

The date and time thing is a weak excuse.

Why do I think its not a sellout - it's been mentioned twice already - the party/novelty factor has worn off.

That and the fact the team is playing complete garbage

30 years of history, past success and hope for the future*. Why should a team thats never made the playoffs, seems to be in total disarray and gone the entire preseason and first 2 games of the regular season having scored 1 goal be guaranteed a sell out? I hope the game is sold out, but it's unrealistic to expect it. Why would any non hardcore TFC fan pay money to see this club right now? What have TFC done to attract the casual fan, or the euro snob? If it's not sold out, theres only 1 person to blame.... hint, it starts with Mo

*Oh, also you can buy a Jays ticket for 11 bucks, and can get REALLY good seats for around 50 bucks. They don't start over 30.

Edit: This also explains http://www.torontosun.com/sports/columnists/bill_lankhof/2010/04/15/13591516.html

Shakes McQueen
04-15-2010, 02:30 AM
This is what you get when your team has Maple Leafs-esque results but none of the history.

I certainly think this is part (not all) of the reason.

But let's see what the announced attendance is tomorrow.

- Scott

Nestease
04-15-2010, 04:11 AM

The new seats might be singles only - but what about the groups of 6/8 tickets you can get together

Why do you ask a question and then proceed to tell everyone they are wrong. Just tell us what the answer is and avoid the whole question to begin with. :facepalm:

kodiakTFC
04-15-2010, 04:30 AM
The craze is over and only those who really cared to begin with are left.

justin
04-15-2010, 04:57 AM
the start time definitely has something to do with it. with a 7 start, it'd be nearly impossible for me to get there on time, since i dont get home from work until after 5.

MUFC_Niagara
04-15-2010, 05:02 AM
Team sucks.

Ya, i'm gonna go with the fact that, at present, we're shit.

dupont
04-15-2010, 05:37 AM

Did you see the attendance numbers for the Tuesday Jays game by any chance? It dropped from 45 thousand on the home opener to only 12 thousand the very next day and finally 10 thousand for last nights game.

I highly doubt TFC will have such a dramatic drop for their second and third games.

scots17
04-15-2010, 05:42 AM
0-2....GF 1....GA 6......0 PTS...Last Place

Same story, nothing much has changed....we've got grass now??? there was grass in Bradenton, Charlestown, Columbus and New England too!!
:picard:

denime
04-15-2010, 05:47 AM

Jays last night only 10K.

However

We have already thread with same topic,no need for new one.

Thread with exactly same topic is here:
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=21634

This one will be closed.