PDA

View Full Version : RBNY and 3 DPs

Smokecell
04-14-2010, 07:09 PM
We knew the 2nd was happening but using all 3 has to be a bit surprising...

http://www.mlssoccer.com/content/source-new-york-plans-buy-3rd-dp-slot

Nuvinho
04-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Henry and Raul or Henry and Marquez?

profit89
04-14-2010, 07:22 PM
Henry and Raul or Henry and Marquez?

or Raul & Marquez?

crofty
04-14-2010, 07:23 PM
so if they buy a 3rd dp slot, do they need to purchase the slot every year?

Chevy
04-14-2010, 07:34 PM
I would imagine they would have to pay the $250k every year they have the third DP.

boban
04-14-2010, 07:44 PM
We knew the 2nd was happening but using all 3 has to be a bit surprising...

http://www.mlssoccer.com/content/source-new-york-plans-buy-3rd-dp-slot
Bravo!!
A team who has it right.

Yeah they had a shit year in 2009, but they do realize what it takes fix the issue and what it takes to take the club to the next level.

CretanBull
04-14-2010, 07:59 PM
I would imagine they would have to pay the $250k every year they have the third DP.

I think it last for 3 years. I can't find comfirmation of that, but I read that on bigsoccer.

Pachuco
04-14-2010, 08:15 PM
I think it last for 3 years. I can't find comfirmation of that, but I read that on bigsoccer.

So we get some allocation money.....wooohooo :scarf:....

:rolleyes:

Chevy
04-14-2010, 08:23 PM
^^ I think the dollars go to the clubs that don't have a DP.

Oldtimer
04-14-2010, 08:29 PM
^^ I think the dollars go to the clubs that don't have a DP.

Nope, goes to all clubs that don't have 3 DPs.

OneLoveOneEric
04-14-2010, 08:40 PM
Fook me. They have 3 DPs and we have....
....JDG????

sulfur
04-14-2010, 09:06 PM
Pires'll be one of their DPs. NYRB wants to bring in some named talent, because that'll sell tickets in their new stadium.

If they can play as a team, they could do some serious damage this year.

Unlike TFC. :)

Dirk Diggler
04-14-2010, 09:10 PM
Angel, Henry and Pires/Raul/Marquez? Sounds good.

Whoop
04-14-2010, 09:12 PM
Brian Nielsen, 23 year old Danish midfielder on loan sounds like a good deal.

Plus whoever they get as DPs.

ManUtd4ever
04-14-2010, 09:15 PM
This thread is making me seriously jealous. Maybe next season we can look forward to a similar press release...

Super
04-14-2010, 09:25 PM
Brian Nielsen, 23 year old Danish midfielder on loan sounds like a good deal.

Plus whoever they get as DPs.

On loan from Red Bull Salzburg.

CretanBull
04-14-2010, 09:59 PM
The other player that they signed - Luke Rodgers - played at Notts County. He's a pretty good, but streaky player - he's small though, not sure how well he'll do here but I'm sure he came cheap.

Juanito
04-14-2010, 10:01 PM
This thread is making me seriously jealous. Maybe next season we can look forward to a similar press release...

I wish. We'd find some way to bollocks that up somehow as well. As long as Mo is in charge, I can't assume that the club's best interests are paramount.

Smokecell
04-14-2010, 10:09 PM
Pires'll be one of their DPs. NYRB wants to bring in some named talent, because that'll sell tickets in their new stadium.

If they can play as a team, they could do some serious damage this year.

Unlike TFC. :)

I believe the press report on mlssocer.com confirmed the shite bulls were not in talks with pires, even better for the league if he goes elsewhere

SmokedPanda
04-14-2010, 10:11 PM
These guys are taking a page from their neighbors to the north, the Yankees spent all kinds last year on big name players when they opened up the new stadium

icecoldbeer
04-14-2010, 11:44 PM
Flashback...

http://redbulls.theoffside.com/files/2009/05/cosmos-300x300.gif

TFC_4_Life
04-15-2010, 12:14 AM
The other player that they signed - Luke Rodgers - played at Notts County. He's a pretty good, but streaky player - he's small though, not sure how well he'll do here but I'm sure he came cheap.

The deal for luke rodgers might not go through as he is having trouble getting his work visa because of legal problems he's had in the past. He has been charged with some public fighting and i think maybe drunk driving etc. bad boy british footballer getting drunk and into bar fights.

CretanBull
04-15-2010, 12:51 AM
The only incident that I know of - and I hadn't heard of him until he joined Notts County - happened after he scored a hat trick in a game - he and some teammates went out to celebrate and they ended up in a bar fight. I'm sure they were being drunk assholes, but I'm also sure that some local tough guy wanted to prove himself or show up a bunch of professional footballers.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-15-2010, 12:56 AM
i think he ended up fighting another player of the opposing team from that days game (if im not mistaken)

CretanBull
04-15-2010, 01:06 AM
^ It might have happened, but I don't remember reading that...was one of the guys in the bar from the other team?

Oldtimer
04-15-2010, 07:54 AM
Flashback...

http://redbulls.theoffside.com/files/2009/05/cosmos-300x300.gif

It makes sense. New York needs "star power" to draw crowds.

Joe Kool
04-15-2010, 08:05 AM
What do you think Mo will do with our cut or the $250K? Add it to what we have for more USL type players?

boban
04-15-2010, 08:12 AM
^^ Well I'm pissed off we are evening talking about TFC being one of the receivers of the $250K. We should be one of the teams paying the $250K!!

Beach_Red
04-15-2010, 08:17 AM
^^ Well I'm pissed off we are evening talking about TFC being one of the receivers of the $250K. We should be one of the teams paying the $250K!!

Of course we should be, it shouldn't even be a question. The day the deal was announced we should have written the cheque and assigned someone the full-time job of finding the best player willing to come here.

As we should have done in season one with that DP slot.

What are they going to claim, money's tight? It's too soon? Preki doesn't like star players?

But no, we'll pick up $250,000 in allocation as if we're some team that can't sell 10,000 tickets.

boban
04-15-2010, 08:33 AM
^^ Actually we would be entitled to not even $17,000.
The 250 gets divided by the remaining teams which currently would be 15 teams.

Beach_Red
04-15-2010, 08:45 AM
^^ Actually we would be entitled to not even $17,000.
The 250 gets divided by the remaining teams which currently would be 15 teams.

Well, it's the remaining teams that don't buy the extra DP slot, so probably Seattle and LA will buy in, maybe Philly, maybe even a couple of others. So, maybe the money will get split between 10 teams.

But yes, we'll be one of the ones on the receiving end, not the spending end.

Pachuco
04-15-2010, 08:58 AM
Well, it's the remaining teams that don't buy the extra DP slot, so probably Seattle and LA will buy in, maybe Philly, maybe even a couple of others. So, maybe the money will get split between 10 teams.

But yes, we'll be one of the ones on the receiving end, not the spending end.

So the best we can hope for is that 10 teams buy 3 DPs, then we may have enough money to sign Ali Gerba again!

Ossington Mental Youth
04-15-2010, 09:03 AM
^ It might have happened, but I don't remember reading that...was one of the guys in the bar from the other team?

thats what i seem to remember reading, ill see if i can find the article

KezmanCCCC
04-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Bravo!!
A team who has it right.

Yeah they had a shit year in 2009, but they do realize what it takes fix the issue and what it takes to take the club to the next level.

Yea somethings ML$E has no sence in what so ever....

Cashcleaner
04-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Of course we should be, it shouldn't even be a question. The day the deal was announced we should have written the cheque and assigned someone the full-time job of finding the best player willing to come here.

As we should have done in season one with that DP slot.

What are they going to claim, money's tight? It's too soon? Preki doesn't like star players?

But no, we'll pick up $250,000 in allocation as if we're some team that can't sell 10,000 tickets.

Sometimes I think guys like you, Boban, and I are in the smallest of minorities. I'm not jealous of RBNY, I'm pissed that TFC seems to have ZERO initiative to do the same. We sell-out consistently. We buy the merchandise. We are helping to grow the TFC brand better than anyone could imagine. And with that in mind:

WHY ARE WE ALWAYS THE FOLLOWERS AND NOT THE LEADERS IN THIS LEAGUE?

TOBOR !
04-15-2010, 08:31 PM
We have no vision.

Whoop
04-15-2010, 10:55 PM
They have vision... but it's not necessarily looking down the right road.

boban
04-16-2010, 07:43 AM
WHY ARE WE ALWAYS THE FOLLOWERS AND NOT THE LEADERS IN THIS LEAGUE?
Perfectly said.
And this is why I don't get all the accolades the ownership gets. :noidea:

Jack
04-17-2010, 09:56 AM
What's the cap hit on 3 dps? What's the rest of the team gonna look like?

CretanBull
04-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Each DP counts as $335k against the cap...

I did the math when the rule was first announced:

I don't like the rule, and its far from ideal, but it does allow competent managers to build a team. After the 3 DPs, you're left with 1.5 million for 17 players which is an average salary of $88k. If you paid your other 8 starters $125k each, you'd have an average salary of $55k for your bench players. That alone is doable, but your numbers get significantly better if you have a Generation Adidas player in your line up, and if you use allocation money to pay down some of your cap hits.

If it was money well spent, our starting XI could have 3 DPs, Frei's GA contract not counting against the cap, 3 guys making $125k, 4 guys making $250k (paid down to $125k cap hits with $400k in allocation money). That would leave enough money to sign 9 guys making $70k each to fill out the bench...with allocation, a couple of those guys (the regular subs) could make $100k.

Oldtimer
04-17-2010, 10:34 AM
Mo has so mismanaged the cap, getting even a 2nd DP is not even a remote possibility (unless we give DP status to DeRo).

CretanBull
04-17-2010, 10:37 AM
^ It's bizarre, but we can't get two, but we could get 3!

boban
04-17-2010, 10:43 AM
Mo has so mismanaged the cap, getting even a 2nd DP is not even a remote possibility (unless we give DP status to DeRo).
That's bullshit. There are many roads to Rome. ;)

Beach_Red
04-17-2010, 10:58 AM

It's unlikely it was strictly mismanagement (some poor player selection maybe) but chances are he was told there would be no spending on DPs so he filled up the cap.

And a team motivated to bring in some expensive players will be able to do it. If First Wave ever represents a really big name, they'll figure out a way around the cap easy.

Beach_Red
04-17-2010, 11:44 AM
The worst thing about this thread - and the whole DP debate - is that we really don't think we'll get a really good player. If a rumour surfaced that TFC was talking about bringing in Henry or any other big-name, we simply wouldn't believe it.

They have managed to so lower our expectations that we'll fight with each other about who's fault it is that we're not getting the best players possible.

Dirk Diggler
04-17-2010, 11:54 AM
The worst thing about this thread - and the whole DP debate - is that we really don't think we'll get a really good player. If a rumour surfaced that TFC was talking about bringing in Henry or any other big-name, we simply wouldn't believe it.

They have managed to so lower our expectations that we'll fight with each other about who's fault it is that we're not getting the best players possible.

I don't think its about having low expectations ... I think by now, most of us have realized that MLSE is not going to bring in any big name guy despite what they said initially about bringing in a "World XI calibre player" :rolleyes:.

But yeah, at this point, it is better to have low expectations so as not to be severely disappointed when MLSE delivers nothing.

v00d00daddy
04-19-2010, 09:41 AM
http://www.football-italia.net/apr19d.html

This would be huge. I know it's been talked about before but it may actually have some merit now.

Juventus captain Alessandro Del Piero is seriously considering a move to the New York Red Bulls, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport.

The 35-year-old striker has received an attractive offer from the MLS side and is said to be taking it very seriously.

Del Piero has a year left on his existing deal, but La Gazzetta understands he is ready to cut it short for several reasons.

The World Cup winner appreciates that Juventus need wholesale change this summer and feels that if he stayed he might be a burden.

The last thing Del Piero wants is for the club's fans to end up resenting him.

However, before accepting the offer Del Piero wants to go through it carefully with his family.

After all, he has two very young children and there could be problems in moving them at the moment.

It wouldn't be the first time that a Juventus icon has crossed the Atlantic to close their career.

Roberto Bettega did just that with the Toronto Blizzard in 1984.

Shaughno
04-19-2010, 09:44 AM
No Del Piero... follow Bettega's footsteps and come to Toronto instead. :D

Oldtimer
04-19-2010, 10:01 AM
Del Piero to NY would be huge, both on the field and in marketing potential.

Dirk Diggler
04-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Are you serious? First Henry and now Del Piero? Wow ... they are gonna own.

CretanBull
04-19-2010, 11:57 AM

He would be one of our absolute best choices for DPs...I've read he has family in Toronto too.

Blizzard
04-19-2010, 12:52 PM

Ah yes, Bettega was pure class.

Blizzard
04-19-2010, 12:53 PM
Are you serious? First Henry and now Del Piero? Wow ... they are gonna own.

.... and then they change their name to the Red Bull Cosmos.

icecoldbeer
04-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Another story on Del Piero

http://www.football-italia.net/apr20h.html

Juventus captain Alessandro Del Piero looks ever closer to moving to the New York Red Bulls at the end of May, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport.

The pink paper understands that Del Piero's sponsors Adidas are pushing the deal because they also have an arrangement with the Red Bulls.

The prospect of Del Piero playing in New York where there is a sizeable Italian community is apparently a tempting marketing opportunity.

And as such the 35-year-old would apparently earn significantly more than Juventus are willing to pay him.

The Red Bulls have just opened a brand new 25,000-seater stadium on the outskirts of New Jersey.

They have also been linked with a move for Barcelona striker Thierry Henry.

Pachuco
04-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Another story on Del Piero

http://www.football-italia.net/apr20h.html

Don't worry guys....we're linked with Paul Dickov.

cincy
04-20-2010, 10:49 AM
for all the naysayers saying you cant have 3 players ( 3 x $335,000 ) making 1 million eating up that much of your cap...

We had it last year

Robinson - 330,000
Guevarra - 330,000
Dero - 4??,000

So it is doable

rocker
04-20-2010, 11:38 AM
for all the naysayers saying you cant have 3 players ( 3 x $335,000 ) making 1 million eating up that much of your cap...

We had it last year

Robinson - 330,000
Guevarra - 330,000
Dero - 4??,000

So it is doable

Yes, and you'd get more bang for your buck than you would from Robbo, Guevera, and De Ro if you went after 3 world class DP players.

The problem is the other 17 senior roster players would only make an about 88,000, which from what I remember during the CBA negotiations, is less than the median of salaries in MLS. That's very tight so there will be a big dropoff in quality after the 3 DPs. If you get an injury to a DP, then you're screwed.

It's doable if you're careful, but still very risky. You've gotta have a nice, cheap core of talent and ensure that the DP players are hardworking and willing to fit in.

flatpicker
04-20-2010, 11:42 AM
I think the risk is minimal if you make sure all 3 DP's are of the attacking variety.

You would be a clear favourite simply based on all the goals those three would produce.

Who cares about letting in a couple goals per game when you are scoring 3 or 4?

cincy
04-20-2010, 12:28 PM
Yes, and you'd get more bang for your buck than you would from Robbo, Guevera, and De Ro if you went after 3 world class DP players.

The problem is the other 17 senior roster players would only make an about 88,000, which from what I remember during the CBA negotiations, is less than the median of salaries in MLS. That's very tight so there will be a big dropoff in quality after the 3 DPs. If you get an injury to a DP, then you're screwed.

It's doable if you're careful, but still very risky. You've gotta have a nice, cheap core of talent and ensure that the DP players are hardworking and willing to fit in.

That's what I am saying .. it's not doable .. we already did it ..lol

profit89
04-20-2010, 01:17 PM

Buy 3 world class DP players, sell a good prospect, and with the allocation use it to buy down the cap hit. 3 world class DPs would then only cost 450K against the cap. That's for all 3!.

mmmikey
04-20-2010, 02:55 PM
Don't worry guys....we're linked with Paul Dickov.

i lol'd...

then died a little inside

S_D
04-20-2010, 05:40 PM

We had it last year

Robinson - 330,000
Guevarra - 330,000
Dero - 4??,000

So it is doable

It is doable, but the problem is with the rest of players you get what you pay for at an average of 88K a season. If you want to surround your DP's with decent talent, you have to keep your roster smaller to boost that average salary higher. That was done here and it was a disaster.

We were short in critical areas (no wingers and a suspect backline), WCQ for Guevera, CC for Marvel Wynne and had some largish other salaries for sub par talent. Had we had lower salaries for Barrett, Garcia and the Argentian guy (name escapes me) we probably could have had a few more dev roster positions.

But yeah of you are VERY careful you can probably do it, and hopefully RYRB can. I look forward to seeing how they manage it.

ag futbol
04-20-2010, 05:52 PM
Keep in mind last year we were on mega allocation dollar steroids. So year you can tie up that much cash but without that extra money you are going to be tight.

Pablo Vitti was on 300k too!

Beach_Red
04-20-2010, 06:18 PM
It is doable, but the problem is with the rest of players you get what you pay for at an average of 88K a season. If you want to surround your DP's with decent talent, you have to keep your roster smaller to boost that average salary higher. That was done here and it was a disaster.

We were short in critical areas (no wingers and a suspect backline), WCQ for Guevera, CC for Marvel Wynne and had some largish other salaries for sub par talent. Had we had lower salaries for Barrett, Garcia and the Argentian guy (name escapes me) we probably could have had a few more dev roster positions.

But yeah of you are VERY careful you can probably do it, and hopefully RYRB can. I look forward to seeing how they manage it.

Keep in mind we may never "see" how they do it, we'll only get the official story.

But they will probably do it. And a few other teams will do it, too. And there's no good reason why TFC shouldn't do it.

Frenchy
04-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Apparently Del Piero is only coming to America on vacation
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_6109169,00.html