PDA

View Full Version : Why the Kickofff Event was a sad sad event

bgnewf
04-13-2010, 02:16 PM
My reflections on the "Kick-Off" event at First Canadian Place today:

http://www.tfcpics.com/blog.html

__________________________________________________ ____________

I recently started a new job working for a financial institution on Bay Street in downtown Toronto. Next door is First Canadian Place Tower, the HQ of Toronto FC sponsor, the Bank of Montreal.

Earlier this afternoon TFC held it’s annual season “kick-off” event with the players and coaching staff being introduced along with the Voyageurs Cup on display. Being in the office tower next door I thought, why not…. Let’s go over on my lunch break and check it out.

The Coaching staff and players were introduced to the crowd to generally warm applause. Tom Anselmi and DeRo spoke to the crowd (which appeared to be well over 1,000 in number) and offered up their thanks and generic rah rah hopes for the season. The players also were seated in tables of four and settled in for over an hour to give autographs to fans.

Mo Johnston was nowhere to be seen, but Jimmy Brennan was lingering around the back of the stage chatting with a few staffers.

Sad Realities – Nametags and Photographs

After the speeches the players were hustled off to the side of the room and were seated in group of four to a table. Then fans lined up to get their chance to get things like soccer balls, scarves, jerseys and posters signed by the players.

And this was for me the saddest part of all. The saddest part of the event was that at each table there was a little card on the front stating the player's names next to a photograph of them.

Here we are in year four of this journey and we need bloody place-cards with photographs on them in order to identify who our players are!

Unbelievable.

This has to be one of the most severe indictments of the job that Mo Johnston has done with this club. Many dedicated knowledgeable fans from supporters groups were there that I am sure follow their club religiously. And even they needed to see photos in order to know who they were getting autographs from. A fourth year club should not feel like an expansion team all over again. TFC year 4 certainly does.

I will be uploading a short video from the event later this evening.

Stouffville_RPB
04-13-2010, 02:20 PM
I don't see the big deal about place cards. If they didn't and the players just sat where ever they felt like people may complain that it is unprofessional.

If the players wore name tags while walking around THEN you'd have something.

billyfly
04-13-2010, 02:23 PM
Update the photo from the South Stands.

You're missing the North Stands in the pic.

Gazza
04-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Making a mountain out of a mole hole (i was going to say Mo hole). Too much Mo on the brain.

MUFC_Niagara
04-13-2010, 02:25 PM
What exactly is the issue with the name cards? Lots of new faces, possibly new fans....I don't see the problem.

Look, this is Preki's team now, and he is clearly putting his name on it.

Gazza
04-13-2010, 02:28 PM
There's so much to complain about with this team that we don't really need to go nit picking now, do we?

Chevy
What exactly is the issue with the name cards? Lots of new faces, possibly new fans....I don't see the problem.

+1.

http://www.ameinfo.com/images/news/1/69901-adidas_press_conference.jpg

It seems as if some people just have to crap on everything this club does. Complaining about name tags? FFS come on!!

mclaren
I don't see a big problem given that they're a ton of new players in the squad - I mean, just look at the New England game, half the players were new!

Pookie
bgnewf, remember the word "objective" ;)

mastermixer
04-13-2010, 02:29 PM
I actually think I can call out which player is which even with all the changes.

Beach_Red
04-13-2010, 02:30 PM
What league do you think this is? What tier do you think this is? Have you ever supported an AHL team? AAA baseball?

This is a development/retirement league, how stable a roster are you expecting?

Now, that doesn't mean the management is doing a good job, but a changing roster isn't the biggest problem.

And I wouldn't expect the GM to be around, the guy has a family to support, he's probably out looking for another job...

Shaughno
04-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Agreed Timmmay...

Carts
04-13-2010, 02:31 PM
My reflections on the "Kick-Off" event at First Canadian Place today:

http://www.tfcpics.com/blog.html

__________________________________________________ ____________

I recently started a new job working for a financial institution on Bay Street in downtown Toronto. Next door is First Canadian Place Tower, the HQ of Toronto FC sponsor, the Bank of Montreal.

Earlier this afternoon TFC held it’s annual season “kick-off” event with the players and coaching staff being introduced along with the Voyageurs Cup on display. Being in the office tower next door I thought, why not…. Let’s go over on my lunch break and check it out.

The Coaching staff and players were introduced to the crowd to generally warm applause. Tom Anselmi and DeRo spoke to the crowd (which appeared to be well over 1,000 in number) and offered up their thanks and generic rah rah hopes for the season. The players also were seated in tables of four and settled in for over an hour to give autographs to fans.

Mo Johnston was nowhere to be seen, but Jimmy Brennan was lingering around the back of the stage chatting with a few staffers.

Sad Realities – Nametags and Photographs

After the speeches the players were hustled off to the side of the room and were seated in group of four to a table. Then fans lined up to get their chance to get things like soccer balls, scarves, jerseys and posters signed by the players.

And this was for me the saddest part of all. The saddest part of the event was that at each table there was a little card on the front stating the player's names next to a photograph of them.

Here we are in year four of this journey and we need bloody place-cards with photographs on them in order to identify who our players are!

Unbelievable.

This has to be one of the most severe indictments of the job that Mo Johnston has done with this club. Many dedicated knowledgeable fans from supporters groups were there that I am sure follow their club religiously. And even they needed to see photos in order to know who they were getting autographs from. A fourth year club should not feel like an expansion team all over again. TFC year 4 certainly does.

I will be uploading a short video from the event later this evening.

Unfortunately, lost on you is "who" this event is actually held for...

Its really held for the corporate crowd who work in the centre of the city - and not for the hardcore or general fan who will know who the players are by a quick glance...

Those events are the pub nights, the 90th minute year end dinner, etc etc etc...

I have been to many Maple Leaf events (yes that hockey team who has been around longer than the GST, most beer brands, and dirt if you ask some people) and they had name tags etc etc etc...

Stop "looking" for things to complain about...

Today's event was like the previous "launch" parties downtown. Sure, would it be great if everyone in the city knew every player, including the new crowd brough in? Yes, of course. But they're not - nor is that the way with other sports franchises here in Toronto, or even in most other cities in North America...

We're 0-and-2... That sucks, that hurts...

We've got almost an entire new team - that is tough to take & hurts...

But we're only 0-and-2... Columbus was WINLESS IN 7 and went on to win the East (I was told, could be wrong about the 9)...

Buck up, cheer up, support the lads & the franchise in the opener, and if things "continue" to slide (which they might) then I'll give you some slack for ragging on a corporate event...

Carts...

Pigfynn
04-13-2010, 02:32 PM
timmay! (said in the voice of Grover aka Adrian Cann) lol

bgnewf
04-13-2010, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Always appreciate it.

:)

Parkdale
04-13-2010, 02:34 PM
guys ---- this isn't actually about the name tags.

It's a metaphor - something people do in creative writing.

the issue is that even the most hard core supporters draw a blank when asked about the roster. can you name every player on TFC? how about just the starters and the bench?

the point is that we're rotating though players at such a fast rate that it's impossible to keep up. The point is NOT that we had name tags, but that we would need them to keep up with the revolving door.

Newf isn't complaining about the name tags, it's what they represent.

http://humanbeingsfirst.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/bruce-lee-dont-concentrate-on-the-finger-or-you-will-miss-all-that-heavenly-glory.jpg

^ you guys are looking at the finger pointing at the hand, not the hand itself

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-13-2010, 02:37 PM
+1.

It seems as if some people just have to crap on everything this club does. Complaining about name tags? FFS come on!!

Beautiful example!!!

END OF!

drewski
04-13-2010, 02:37 PM
this isn't meant to be rude or offensive, making mountains out of mole hills (as has been previously shown) makes you look petty and will generally turn people off to your opinions because of that perceived pettiness.

ED: shown a few posts down

Stouffville_RPB
04-13-2010, 02:38 PM
I get what you're saying Parky (and I agree that roster stability is an issue that needs to be addressed) but putting it out by picking on the place cards isn't what is going to get the most people to back your view.

EDIT: Or even to pick up on it (as this thread shows).

Carts
04-13-2010, 02:41 PM
+1.

+1 again...

This is the point I was making since the Maple Leafs use name tags in Toronto at corporate events as well...

This "blog" is nothing more than someone "looking" for someone to complain about something...

How's this: "...DAMN, ITS F*CKING SUNNY & WARM OUT AT BMO TODAY, NOW I'M GONNA GET A SUN BURN OR MAYBE HAVE A GREAT TIME - GOOD WEATHER SUCKS!..."

Carts...

Gazza
04-13-2010, 02:42 PM
I get what you're saying Parky (and I agree that roster stability is an issue that needs to be addressed) but putting it out by picking on the place cards isn't what is going to get the most people to back your view.

EDIT: Or even to pick up on it (as this thread shows).

Especially since the people i know that attended the event enjoyed themselves and appreciate some of the player's candor.

I like reading up on soccer and on tfc, but this will be a blog i avoid in the future.

bgnewf
04-13-2010, 02:45 PM
Thanks Parkdale. Metaphor was exactly what i was trying to achieve. I am by all accounts a pretty engaged TFC fan. There today there were so many faces on the team that I frankly did not recognize. Four years in that strikes me as not the situation we want to be in with this team.

Shaughno
04-13-2010, 02:47 PM
Not to be a pest Newf... but I could probably name at least 85% of the roster if they were standing in front of me... :lol: For the general fan, yeah I would agree they wouldn't recognize, but that's Preki blowing up a shit squad and rebuilding a hard working one to his specifications.

bgnewf
04-13-2010, 02:53 PM
Not to be a pest Newf... but I could probably name at least 85% of the roster if they were standing in front of me... :lol: For the general fan, yeah I would agree they wouldn't recognize, but that's Preki blowing up a shit squad and rebuilding a hard working one to his specifications.

You are never a pest Shaughno.

I can take the criticism, believe me. If I get people discussing an issue, even if they disagree with me, then I have done what I set out to do.

Cheers

Beach_Red
04-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Thanks Parkdale. Metaphor was exactly what i was trying to achieve. I am by all accounts a pretty engaged TFC fan. There today there were so many faces on the team that I frankly did not recognize. Four years in that strikes me as not the situation we want to be in with this team.

Hey, creative writing is hard, I know ;). And metaphor is a tough sell when everyone's so upset already.

The revolving door roster is a tough one - no one thinks it's a good idea, even the guys revolving the door. Probably each move taken on its own had enough justification to make it, but put together the bad result is inevitable.

This team has always had the feel of scrambling, a little bit of panic just below the surface. Well, the guys running the team were up till now on some pretty short-term contracts so it seems like it was designed that way. Not an unusual way for companies to act these days, but a tough way to build a team.

Shaughno
04-13-2010, 02:55 PM
You are never a pest Shaughno.

I can take the criticism, believe me. If I get people discussing an issue, even if they disagree with me, then I have done what I set out to do.

Cheers

I'm also very interested in trialists and inbound players... so I do think I'm probably more informed than the average fan/supporter is. :lol: :scarf:

rocker
04-13-2010, 03:06 PM
+1.

+1. hahaha.

Becks looks cute there (did I mention I wear his cologne?)

boban
04-13-2010, 03:10 PM
Becks looks cute there (did I mention I wear his cologne?)
You trying to pick up someone on this board?

Roogsy
04-13-2010, 03:15 PM
I don't see the big issue with the place cards.

HOWEVER....I do see BgNewf's point. The fundamental point is that the amount of turnover this team has had from a team cohesion OR marketing point of view is a big fail...and that falls plainly on one person's lap.

Beach_Red
04-13-2010, 03:20 PM
I don't see the big issue with the place cards.

HOWEVER....I do see BgNewf's point. The fundamental point is that the amount of turnover this team has had from a team cohesion OR marketing point of view is a big fail...and that falls plainly on one person's lap.

Are you absolutely sure of that? There's been a lot of info on this board lately about the involvement of First Wave and other things that make the situation seem more complicated than that. Maybe it's not, maybe it is that simple, but do we really know?

jloome
04-13-2010, 03:56 PM

I only know two other TFC fans in Alberta and we could all name all fo them face to face. Must come from watching lots of them on TV, I guess, with closeups.

dupont
04-13-2010, 04:17 PM
How's this: "...DAMN, ITS F*CKING SUNNY & WARM OUT AT BMO TODAY, NOW I'M GONNA GET A SUN BURN OR MAYBE HAVE A GREAT TIME - GOOD WEATHER SUCKS!..."

That reminds me of how people get mad at me because I say I love snow. I do love snow though! It's not my fault.. it's like they want me to be miserable when it snows just because they are!

TorCanSoc
04-13-2010, 04:22 PM
Sick kids hospital. Toronto Maple Leafs players visiting. Few years back.. I could name all the players by face, Sundin, Kubina, and one more I couldn't tell who he was. Until he turned his back and he a jersey on, it was Stajan. Well guess what, Sundin had his jersey on too. I don't think he needed to, but he did.

What does that mean for this thread? Nothing, i just like to hear the sound of my own post. :)

tfc2007
04-13-2010, 04:33 PM
I do not see an issue. At a free event like this their could've been alot of walk by's that do not follow the team. Atleast if these people have heard a name they could read it and understand who they were seeing.

Just because not everyone is a die hard fan doesnt me we shouldnt educate them on our very new roster.

DichioTFC
04-13-2010, 04:33 PM
having a public event without telling the public who the players are is ridiculous BUT Roogsy brings up a valid point about MLSE needing to do more to promote their players in the community.

we have DeRo, JDG, Frei, Cronin and Nana who should ALL be promoted with the team marketing activities. Get their faces on the advertisements. Make sure the non-soccer fans know who these guys are. They deserve the public acknowledgment and the public will catch on... hell, the only reason I buy Nutella is because Dwayne De Rosario is on the label
:D

DichioTFC
04-13-2010, 04:36 PM
Are you absolutely sure of that? There's been a lot of info on this board lately about the involvement of First Wave and other things that make the situation seem more complicated than that. Maybe it's not, maybe it is that simple, but do we really know?

Even if there is some big First Wave conspiracy, isn't it in everyone's best interests to get the players out into the community more, either through community events or cross-promotion?

There are so many opportunities out there especially in an eclectic city like Toronto, for MLSE not to do this is truly an injustice.

Davenport
04-13-2010, 05:27 PM
I don't see the big deal about place cards. If they didn't and the players just sat where ever they felt like people may complain that it is unprofessional.

If the players wore name tags while walking around THEN you'd have something.

The cards were for the players.
They don't know each other.....

Davenport
04-13-2010, 05:29 PM
What league do you think this is? What tier do you think this is? Have you ever supported an AHL team? AAA baseball?

This is a development/retirement league, how stable a roster are you expecting?

Now, that doesn't mean the management is doing a good job, but a changing roster isn't the biggest problem.

And I wouldn't expect the GM to be around, the guy has a family to support, he's probably out looking for another job...

...he should be, but he was probably in the nearest pub.

DichioTFC
04-13-2010, 05:44 PM
The cards were for the players.
They don't know each other.....

+1!!

T.O TILL I DIE
04-13-2010, 05:47 PM
this is a fail i dont get the big deal of name tags..... theres new players and new fans!

canadian_bhoy
04-13-2010, 06:04 PM
You gotta also take into account the audience. It's at FCP so there will be lots of people there who don't know the players or even the team.

Having said that.

IXaqDcb51tI

bgnewf
04-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Video from the event is now up on the blog

www.tfcpics.com/blog

Kevvv
04-13-2010, 06:19 PM
A crowd of 1000? I'd say that's a good crowd. I get that's it's sad we have so many new guys, but afte Saturday's game and the general mood on the boards, I'm glad that nametags is the biggest talking point.

(And really, who would bring their kid to FCP to meet the GM?)

canadian_bhoy
04-13-2010, 06:26 PM

www.tfcpics.com/blog (http://www.tfcpics.com/blog)

Wow - packed. Didn't think it'd be that busy.

Anselmi said the season starts tomorrow night. good times. haha ooops.

BTW - who was standing beside JB? He looked like he had a RPB pin on.

Kevvv
04-13-2010, 06:28 PM

A can of Carlsberg says CoachGT

tfc2008
04-13-2010, 06:41 PM
wat is the big deal about the name cards

they put also the name's at the back of the jerseys

DichioTFC
04-13-2010, 06:45 PM
wat is the big deal about the name cards

they put also the name's at the back of the jerseys

HOW DARE THEY!!!!

FluSH
04-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Dichio Was There!!!!

Carts
04-13-2010, 07:48 PM

www.tfcpics.com/blog (http://www.tfcpics.com/blog)

Based on the overly negative blog - I'll pass...

Carts...

Carts
04-13-2010, 07:51 PM
this is a fail i dont get the big deal of name tags..... theres new players and new fans!

Agreed, complete fail...

Its because some people will always, repeat WILL ALWAYS find something to bitch about...

Honestly, I think there's people in the world who could win $2,000,000 in Lotto 649, and say "...f*ck, if I won last week it would have been $2,500,000 - this is bullsh*t..."

Carts...

Detroit_TFC
04-13-2010, 08:10 PM
The event seemed ok from the video. It looks like it was geared for BMO people, which is fine, it's part of the ride being a major sponsor.

JonO
04-13-2010, 10:36 PM
I think that may have been Mo...

Whoop
04-13-2010, 10:45 PM
having a public event without telling the public who the players are is ridiculous BUT Roogsy brings up a valid point about MLSE needing to do more to promote their players in the community.

we have DeRo, JDG, Frei, Cronin and Nana who should ALL be promoted with the team marketing activities. Get their faces on the advertisements. Make sure the non-soccer fans know who these guys are. They deserve the public acknowledgment and the public will catch on... hell, the only reason I buy Nutella is because Dwayne De Rosario is on the label
:D

Which this management those guys could all be gone next week and there goes your marketing campaign. LOL

scooter
04-13-2010, 10:49 PM
Unfortunately, lost on you is "who" this event is actually held for...

Its really held for the corporate crowd who work in the centre of the city - and not for the hardcore or general fan who will know who the players are by a quick glance...

Those events are the pub nights, the 90th minute year end dinner, etc etc etc...

I have been to many Maple Leaf events (yes that hockey team who has been around longer than the GST, most beer brands, and dirt if you ask some people) and they had name tags etc etc etc...

Stop "looking" for things to complain about...

Today's event was like the previous "launch" parties downtown. Sure, would it be great if everyone in the city knew every player, including the new crowd brough in? Yes, of course. But they're not - nor is that the way with other sports franchises here in Toronto, or even in most other cities in North America...

We're 0-and-2... That sucks, that hurts...

We've got almost an entire new team - that is tough to take & hurts...

But we're only 0-and-2... Columbus was WINLESS IN 7 and went on to win the East (I was told, could be wrong about the 9)...

Buck up, cheer up, support the lads & the franchise in the opener, and if things "continue" to slide (which they might) then I'll give you some slack for ragging on a corporate event...

Carts...

right f'n on carts

KezmanCCCC
04-13-2010, 10:53 PM
i think you are over analyzing the photo cards with the players names on them.... i dont think it was ment for the players to be identified... its just the cheapest thing for the club to offer the fans for free in order to get autographed... and why wouldnt they include the players names on the photos?... anyways i wish i went but i had obligations with school that i couldnt skip... well as it turned out i shouldnt have gone to school because thoughs obligations really didnt come through... now i am kicking myself... there were a few (and i mean only A FEW) players that i would have liked to meet and get a photo with... anyways next time i will make it out... probably to the next open practice the club holds will be my chance...

Alonso
04-13-2010, 11:07 PM
This team has always had the feel of scrambling, a little bit of panic just below the surface. Well, the guys running the team were up till now on some pretty short-term contracts so it seems like it was designed that way. Not an unusual way for companies to act these days, but a tough way to build a team.

This is an angle I've never thought about before, but Mo should probably have thought this through, or at least you would hope that he had.

So what's his excuse for not signing a credible coach for a longer term deal? Better yet why didn't he start as GM and hire a coach from year 1 that he believed in? Or better yet still, why didn't he stay on as coach since year 1 and build this team properly?

Alonso
04-13-2010, 11:18 PM
Even if there is some big First Wave conspiracy, isn't it in everyone's best interests to get the players out into the community more, either through community events or cross-promotion?

There are so many opportunities out there especially in an eclectic city like Toronto, for MLSE not to do this is truly an injustice.

Dude they do this all the time, day in and day out.

From mosquito nets for Africa, to Toronto sick kids hospital, to breast cancer awareness/fundraising, to free community training for coaches, to community soccer trials, to building local facilities for soccer development (6 million worth by the way), to a bunch of fan events, and probably a whole bunch of other stuff that I can't think of at the moment....

DichioTFC
04-13-2010, 11:20 PM
Dude they do this all the time, day in and day out.

From mosquito nets for Africa, to Toronto sick kids hospital, to breast cancer awareness/fundraising, to free community training for coaches, to community soccer trials, to building local facilities for soccer development (6 million worth by the way), to a bunch of fan events, and probably a whole bunch of other stuff that I can't think of at the moment....

You're right, but what I was getting at was with the direct promotion / marketing.. instead of fake fans with war paint.

Alonso
04-13-2010, 11:30 PM
You're right, but what I was getting at was with the direct promotion / marketing.. instead of fake fans with war paint.

Like what exactly? I'm not following...

DichioTFC
04-14-2010, 12:05 AM
^
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:Klj5qLIhsN7QDM:http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/t280/imgs/fans/2008/bmo_contest_poster.jpg
like that...

drewski
04-14-2010, 07:31 AM

ya. they should do it for the real fans with hockey or luchador masks :lol:

Beach_Red
04-14-2010, 07:32 AM
This is an angle I've never thought about before, but Mo should probably have thought this through, or at least you would hope that he had.

So what's his excuse for not signing a credible coach for a longer term deal? Better yet why didn't he start as GM and hire a coach from year 1 that he believed in? Or better yet still, why didn't he stay on as coach since year 1 and build this team properly?

Wait, you think any of these decisions were his? The question is, why didn't MLSE start off the same as Seattle? Why didn't they hire a full front office, an experienced MLS coach, a DP?

Why didn't the company that is supposedly so experienced running sports teams have their own plan for the team? Why didn't it start at the top?

Chevy
04-14-2010, 08:09 AM
Wait, you think any of these decisions were his? The question is, why didn't MLSE start off the same as Seattle? Why didn't they hire a full front office, an experienced MLS coach, a DP?

Why didn't the company that is supposedly so experienced running sports teams have their own plan for the team? Why didn't it start at the top?

People tend to forget that launching a team in Toronto was a significant gamble - a relatively struggling league (some would argue it still is), little mainstream interest (pre-Beckham remember) and also a market in which soccer has not succeeded in past ventures.

You can't blame MLSE for being careful with their initial spending considering the risk involved, the history here and the market conditions. Seattle was the beneficiary of Toronto's strong fan support.

DichioTFC
04-14-2010, 08:12 AM
ya. they should do it for the real fans with hockey or luchador masks :lol:

luchalibres with the with feather boas and tearaway tank tops!!!

http://3.gvt0.com/vi/ST7nHAt4FyM/0.jpg

Oldtimer
04-14-2010, 08:13 AM

Hindsight is 20/20.

I think it should be obvious that no-one thought TFC would be the off-the-field success that it is, not MLSE (Peddie thought they'd get 12k per game), not the supporters (not one person on the original RPB or the U-Sector boards predicted sold-out crowds), no-one. Given the sorry history of soccer in Toronto, MLSE initially went in on the cheap, and hired Mo both as coach and GM. When they realized they had a valuable property and started putting real money into the team - grass, DP, lots of coaching staff, they were already stuck with Mo.

Hiring MoJo will turn out to have been the biggest mistake this club has ever done. By failing in their first 3 seasons (soon to be 4), they have long-term damaged the franchise.

I'm convinced that if they had known what TFC would become, they would have spent the bucks up front and hired smarter. As it is, the road ahead will be very difficult. Like RSL (who made similar stupid hiring mistakes when they started, with equally horrible results, but corrected it faster than MLSE) it will take a couple of seasons post-Mo for this club to become a contender.

The sooner Mo is gone, the sooner the building of a decent squad can begin.

DichioTFC
04-14-2010, 08:16 AM
People tend to forget that launching a team in Toronto was a significant gamble - a relatively struggling league (some would argue it still is), little mainstream interest (pre-Beckham remember) and also a market in which soccer has not succeeded in past ventures.

You can't blame MLSE for being careful with their initial spending considering the risk involved, the history here and the market conditions. Seattle was the beneficiary of Toronto's strong fan support.

I'd go even one further. Seattle and Philly's success would not be possible without Toronto's success. Those teams and MLS benchmarked what MLSE did with TFC and to encourage the growth of the team, the supporter groups, etc. The execs of MLS and various teams came to BMO on game day to take notes on the RPB tailgate, the fan atmosphere of the South End, Jack Astor's, and all the other stuff that go on with what makes TFC more like an experience then a sporting event.

For all the shit that MLSE gets, rightfully so, they rarely get the credit they deserve on the other aspects of their business.

Beach_Red
04-14-2010, 08:19 AM

Sure I can, it's not my money ;).

But serioulsy, pro sports isn't a place for the timid to invest. It's go big or go home.

It's like the movie business, it doesn't work well if you're constantly looking to minimize risk. Avatar could have been Howard the Duck.

Once the decision was made to get into MLS, a league with such a tight salary cap, there were many ways to go about building a winning team - Seattle showed how it's done and their plans were well underway even before Toronto played a single game. But this ownership looked at minimizing its exposure, minimizing the risk, even after it became apparent that there was a lot more potential here than anyone thought.

Now their timid, safe approach runs the risk of frittering away that potential and they'll just say, "See we knew it was just a fad that wouldn't last, that's why we got into it so slowly."

Beach_Red
04-14-2010, 08:27 AM
Hindsight is 20/20.

I think it should be obvious that no-one thought TFC would be the off-the-field success that it is, not MLSE (Peddie thought they'd get 12k per game), not the supporters (not one person on the original RPB or the U-Sector boards predicted sold-out crowds), no-one. Given the sorry history of soccer in Toronto, MLSE initially went in on the cheap, and hired Mo both as coach and GM. When they realized they had a valuable property and started putting real money into the team - grass, DP, lots of coaching staff, they were already stuck with Mo.

Hiring MoJo will turn out to have been the biggest mistake this club has ever done. By failing in their first 3 seasons (soon to be 4), they have long-term damaged the franchise.

I'm convinced that if they had known what TFC would become, they would have spent the bucks up front and hired smarter. As it is, the road ahead will be very difficult. Like RSL (who made similar stupid hiring mistakes when they started, with equally horrible results, but corrected it faster than MLSE) it will take a couple of seasons post-Mo for this club to become a contender.

The sooner Mo is gone, the sooner the building of a decent squad can begin.

Sure, fair enough, but that's not the sports business. It's not a business where the safe, timid, cheap approach is ever successful. They bet on TFC not being successful and guess what, they're right, demand is already slowing.

Luckily they put a fall guy in place, so none of those cheap decisions will hurt the suits at all.

Sure, now that they've seen it can be a success (even as poorly managed as it is) they'll pour in more money and build a more successful team.

Or, they'll have another Leafs on their hands and no matter who they bring in they won't be able to win a championship because the "culture" at the top has a lot more to do with it than who's in the GM's job nad no one will ever protest that.

DichioTFC
04-14-2010, 08:30 AM
Sure, fair enough, but that's not the sports business. It's not a business where the safe, timid, cheap approach is ever successful. They bet on TFC not being successful and guess what, they're right, demand is already slowing.

Luckily they put a fall guy in place, so none of those cheap decisions will hurt the suits at all.

Sure, now that they've seen it can be a success (even as poorly managed as it is) they'll pour in more money and build a more successful team.

Or, they'll have another Leafs on their hands and no matter who they bring in they won't be able to win a championship because the "culture" at the top has a lot more to do with it than who's in the GM's job nad no one will ever protest that.

With the corporate structure as it is, MoJo will be cherished by the suits as an innovative leader who galvanized transitional players into a solid team (read: he solidified and entrenched a loyal market following, which clearly had to be priority one). Suits think short-term and celebrate everything as a professional / personal gain.

bgnewf
04-14-2010, 08:31 AM
Sure I can, it's not my money ;).

But serioulsy, pro sports isn't a place for the timid to invest. It's go big or go home.

It's like the movie business, it doesn't work well if you're constantly looking to minimize risk. Avatar could have been Howard the Duck.

Once the decision was made to get into MLS, a league with such a tight salary cap, there were many ways to go about building a winning team - Seattle showed how it's done and their plans were well underway even before Toronto played a single game. But this ownership looked at minimizing its exposure, minimizing the risk, even after it became apparent that there was a lot more potential here than anyone thought.

Now their timid, safe approach runs the risk of frittering away that potential and they'll just say, "See we knew it was just a fad that wouldn't last, that's why we got into it so slowly."

I agree fully with you here with one small exception.

Seattle coming into the league had one significant leg up over TFC and that was the base of a successful USL franchise to build upon. A more apt comparison might be Salt Lake City that went and won the league after five seasons of existence.

The first three seasons they missed the playoffs. Year four they made it into the playofffs and lost in the semi's, and of course last season they won it all.

Kevvv
04-14-2010, 08:42 AM

Seattle coming into the league had one significant leg up over TFC and that was the base of a successful USL franchise to build upon. A more apt comparison might be Salt Lake City that went and won the league after five seasons of existence.

The first three seasons they missed the playoffs. Year four they made it into the playofffs and lost in the semi's, and of course last season they won it all.

Two exceptions. The one you mention, and being able to learn from Toronto's experience in entering the league - positives and negatives.

Beach_Red
04-14-2010, 08:43 AM

Sure, that's true. But MLSE have been in the sports team business a long time so that should make up for running a USL team (you know, MLSE's business is supposed to be sports, they aren't Drew Carey and Joe Roth coming in from the movie and TV business) and then, once they saw that their original estimates were all far too low (and that was before the first season even started) they could have changed their plan very quickly but they didn't.

But you're right, maybe RSL is an evn better comparison. And look at how differently they set up their front office. Why is the word 'Real' in their name?

Sure, maybe Mo Johnston isn't a good GM, but in this case he was really just set up to be the fall guy because one thing MLSE know very well is how Toronto fans pick heroes and villians. And we've played into their plan perfectly. We're now in the position of demanding our own GM be fired - what a great way to keep the heat from themselves and their lack of real investment in infrastructure.

They couldn't have gotten away with it in any other city.

Primavera
04-14-2010, 08:48 AM
I was wondering who that guy on the right was but then I noticed the name tag.

+1.

Red CB Toronto
04-14-2010, 10:05 PM
It was a great event, these are the type of events needed to expose the club to a group of people who do not follow the Reds on a regular basis. It let them meet the boys up front and personal.

Also I loved it because I won an authentic home jersey during the trivia contest, it will look great wearing it tomorrow night at the new BMO, with the smell of fresh grass in the air.