PDA

View Full Version : Your Preki moment of Zen

DangerRed
04-13-2010, 02:13 PM
From today's media scrum at BMO:

"The thing is for us right now is basically almost like a preseason because as you can see now we are finally having 20, 21, 22 guys in training and you know, it's going to take us a little bit of time to read them."

So, what the fuck have we been doing the past four months then?! And don't give me the CBA-wasn't-finalized bullshit, please.

TFC Tifoso
04-13-2010, 02:14 PM
From today's media scrum at BMO:

"The thing is for us right now is basically almost like a preseason because as you can see now we are finally having 20, 21, 22 guys in training and you know, it's going to take us a little bit of time to read them."

So, what the fuck have we been doing the past four months then?! And don't give me the CBA-wasn't-finalized bullshit, please.

exactly....

mastermixer
04-13-2010, 02:15 PM
Obviously everyone agrees it sucks we got to such a late start. But lets just hope this team comes into form in the next few games.

flatpicker
04-13-2010, 02:34 PM
First half of this season might be kinda tough.
But a lot can happen along the way to make a difference down the stretch.
Or so I hope.

Whoop
04-13-2010, 02:36 PM
Agreed... but when we miss the playoffs by 3-4 points we'll be lamenting over the lost points from the beginning of the season.

Shaughno
04-13-2010, 02:38 PM
I'd like to hear a statement from Preki on what he expects from the season. Personally I don't expect us to do overly well until we settle down with the changes and have a semi-consistent starting XI. I can see us finishing the season strong after a weak start.

Whoop
04-13-2010, 02:39 PM
"Expect the players to work hard and play good soccer."

stugautz
04-13-2010, 02:40 PM
Here's the thing, the past 4 years, it's always been the same deal. We wait until AFTER the season starts to bring in players. They're always playing catchup.

Shaughno
LOL I know that Whoop, but I mean in terms of end of season result. ;)

mclaren
I like Preki a lot - he is the first real football management person TFC has ever had.

Pigfynn
04-13-2010, 02:41 PM
I'd like to hear a statement from Preki on what he expects from the season. Personally I don't expect us to do overly well until we settle down with the changes and have a semi-consistent starting XI. I can see us finishing the season strong after a weak start.

I agree.

We will eventually settle in and win games because that's what Preki does. I also don't think Preki has ever had players as talented as a Dero or a DeGuzman in he's managerial career, so that can only help.

We will win, but not fast enough for many.

Whoop
04-13-2010, 02:45 PM
I thought he dismissed playoffs, did he not?

Or did he just say "It won't happen overnight."?

Shaughno
04-13-2010, 02:46 PM
That's all I've heard, was it won't happen overnight... mind you I haven't been able to watch any interviews in over a week.

Jeffro
04-13-2010, 02:48 PM
Just what we needed, another thread to bitch and complain in.

Whoop
04-13-2010, 02:48 PM
I think he's smart enough not to say anything.

If he says yes we'll make the playoffs and fails he looks like an idiot.

But if he says no, because of the players he has at his disposal, supporters will go ape shit demanding that how can you not get this team into the playoffs.

DangerRed
04-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Yeah, those first two dropped games (and who knows about Thursday and most definitely Sunday) will definitely come back to haunt us if we miss the postseason by a couple points.

Then again, we could surge suddenly in the second half of the season like FC Dallas did last year. Such is MLS.

Point is, and Preki keeps hammering it over and over again, don't expect a quick turnaround (ie. wins) at TFC.

DangerRed
04-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Just what we needed, another thread to bitch and complain in.

Thanks for the constructive input, brother! Hope you're having a nice day!

Jeffro
04-13-2010, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the constructive input, brother! Hope you're having a nice day!

Because there was lots of new and constructive information in your original post....

And thanks, I'm having a pretty awesome day :flare:

jabbronies
04-13-2010, 02:52 PM
Preki isn't going to say what he expects from this season. He's covering his ass, and rightly so.

Shaughno
04-13-2010, 02:53 PM
Yeah, those first two dropped games (and who knows about Thursday and most definitely Sunday) will definitely come back to haunt us if we miss the postseason by a couple points.

Then again, we could surge suddenly in the second half of the season like FC Dallas did last year. Such is MLS.

Point is, and Preki keeps hammering it over and over again, don't expect a quick turnaround (ie. wins) at TFC.

Which I think is a good thing. Something people need to realize that bringing in a new coach to instill a completely different work ethic and style of play isn't going to happen overnight. Yes, we'd all like to win all season long... but that's not going to happen, not even if we had Capello et al.

olegunnar
04-13-2010, 02:55 PM

We're so awesome, that we'll give the other teams 30 games with a full team...and we'll have 25 games with a full team. We'll basically give the rest of the league a 5 game head start.
Worked really well in year one.

I like it...show's he's confident. :drinking:

rocker
04-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Which I think is a good thing. Something people need to realize that bringing in a new coach to instill a completely different work ethic and style of play isn't going to happen overnight. .

Yup... people are seeing this season as a continuation of what came before, but Preki can't be faulted for radically revamping a squad he had no hand in creating. The fact that TFC has had a revolving door of players in the past has nothing to do with him, and it doesn't mean he has to keep everybody from the past just for continuity's sake.

It would have been interesting though if Mo had been fired and Preki given both jobs -- would people have had as much of a problem with the current moves? Or would it have been seen as a necessary dumping of dead weight?

Anyhow, I have no problem with Preki adding players lately. Gargan and Cann were with the team in pre-season, so they didn't just show up. the Latvian and Russian dude have been with the team since I think right after game 1. Kocic was with the team in the pre-season. The team as we see it today has been together pretty much since Charleston. One can't expect a new coach to have all 24 slots filled on Feb 1.

trane
04-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Which I think is a good thing. Something people need to realize that bringing in a new coach to instill a completely different work ethic and style of play isn't going to happen overnight. Yes, we'd all like to win all season long... but that's not going to happen, not even if we had Capello et al.

wowoowowowoow. That is blasphemy shags.

trane
04-13-2010, 03:03 PM
We're so awesome, that we'll give the other teams 30 games with a full team...and we'll have 25 games with a full team. We'll basically give the rest of the league a 5 game head start.
Worked really well in year one.

I like it...show's he's confident. :drinking:

EXACTLY. There is thing called an offseason, it would have been nive, if we had started doing this shit in the offseason. Sure it may not have been over yet, but starting after the seasons starts, seems silly. ( see state of the team thread)

But I am not sure how much Preki is to be blamed for this.

alex andrew
04-13-2010, 03:03 PM
So, what the fuck have we been doing the past four months then?!

enjoying life !

nothing wrong in spending time in florida for free !

because i am not convinced the players have paid out of their salaries.

nfitz
04-13-2010, 03:07 PM
I know it's frustrating ... but I'm glad he is telling it how it is; rather than spreading BS.

And really, he is telling us what we all know already. That should be reassuring.

My only real Preki concerns are:

a) he'll build a team that may win more often than it looses ... but the game will be dull.

b) (and the only one we can really change) he's not going to put our best team on the field for the Canadian Championship. These are our most important games this Spring ... how do we get that message across?

Hitcho
04-13-2010, 03:07 PM
I think under Preki we'll end up with a team of journeymen grafters who are good but not great, work hard as a unit and make the play offs late on most seasons, going out early on when we do. I just don't see him as a coach to bring us significant or sustained success. Having said that, I think its a big step forward from where we were, and will hopefully provide a good platform for his successor to come in and add some quality to make us a great MSL team.

This season is going to be all about bringing in the journeymen grafters and getting the players to do thinsg his way. How De Ro and De Guz will take to that I don't know. Preki was a great player in MLS, so hoepfully he can find a way to unleash these guys and let them dominate games.

[NBF]
04-13-2010, 03:08 PM
I think he's smart enough not to say anything.

If he says yes we'll make the playoffs and fails he looks like an idiot.

But if he says no, because of the players he has at his disposal, supporters will go ape shit demanding that how can you not get this team into the playoffs.

Yeah, but its good to know if he's on the same side as the supporters of the club, so people are looking for reassurances that the club is heading in the right direction and will progress to a title.

Also, I think we remember what happened to the Real Madrid manager that got fired for saying "We won't beat Barcelona this year". He got the boot.

What I would like to know is, whether he's calling the shots or is Mo Johnston officially out of the transfer picture and simply a desk jockey(If he even has a desk, with things in it). The entire group of arrivals seem to me like Preki's guys, but Mo is still there, cuz MLSE dont want to just hand him a bunch of money, so its a transitional period in management at the moment.

Originally posted by Shaughno

Which I think is a good thing. Something people need to realize that
bringing in a new coach to instill a completely different work ethic and
style of play isn't going to happen overnight. Yes, we'd all like to win all
season long... but that's not going to happen, not even if we had Capello
et al.

No style, 3-0 loss, thats my prediction for Thursday's game.

trane
04-13-2010, 03:14 PM
Shags, as I said elsewere I agree with you in principal, but the question is why start so late?

Darlofletch
04-13-2010, 03:21 PM
I think under Preki we'll end up with a team of journeymen grafters who are good but not great, work hard as a unit and make the play offs late on most seasons, going out early on when we do. I just don't see him as a coach to bring us significant or sustained success. Having said that, I think its a big step forward from where we were, and will hopefully provide a good platform for his successor to come in and add some quality to make us a great MSL team.

This season is going to be all about bringing in the journeymen grafters and getting the players to do thinsg his way. How De Ro and De Guz will take to that I don't know. Preki was a great player in MLS, so hoepfully he can find a way to unleash these guys and let them dominate games.

That's exactly what I think is the best we can hope for this season, then hopefully next year with robbo, gerba and garcia off the books (or do we have those contracts for longer than this year) we can hopefully use that spare cash to add some serious quality, whether two or three good mls players, or a second or 3rd dp. I've got faith that preki can manage the addittion of those players to make us something more than he had when he was at chivas.

trane
04-13-2010, 03:23 PM
A team of journemen with a two or three true offensive stars can win this league. I would be ok with it.

Pookie
04-13-2010, 03:27 PM
I like Preki.

His concept of team and alleged benching of a star player for breaking team rules sit well with me.

Shaughno
04-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Shags, as I said elsewere I agree with you in principal, but the question is why start so late?

Well it's pretty hard to tell... but I'm guessing they had a bunch of people lined up, as evident in our trialist thread. Problem was probably getting the right people, for the right $$ that actually wanted to come here.

I'm sure there's plenty more involved though...

I like Preki.

His concept of team and alleged benching of a star player for breaking team rules sit well with me.

Agreed. Nobody is above the club, no matter how much you get paid... That goes for you too MOJO!!!!