PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed: Toronto Sign Cann and Usanov

Daveisonfire
04-12-2010, 04:01 PM
[/URL][URL="http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/04/toronto-signs-cann-and-usanov"]Toronto FC announced Monday the team has acquired defenders Adrian Cann and Maksim Usanov (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/04/toronto-signs-cann-and-usanov)

TFC 420
04-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Finally some re-enforcements for the back line.

ManUtd4ever
04-12-2010, 04:06 PM
This is somewhat encouraging news. I believe Preki officially has no more excuses to include Garcia in the starting lineup...

Azerban
04-12-2010, 04:06 PM
what the fuck is the deal with fc skonto

Broadview
04-12-2010, 04:10 PM

At least it ends in "onto".

I wonder if people from Skonto just say "Skahno".

Corpand
04-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Cann looks roughed up in that photo. I hope they can both start on Thursday. Raivis---Cann---Nana---Usanov

sashavukelich
04-12-2010, 04:16 PM
At least it ends in "onto".

I wonder if people from Skonto just say "Skahno".

haha amazing. I'm happy for a couple reasons...

1) They're young players *read hungry* and that will help with future consistency
2) GARCIA TO THE BENCH!!!!!!!!!!!!
3) I imagine they aren't on that much money.

Well done, okay boys. Let's hope we can do philly hard at home! :)

Nuvinho
04-12-2010, 04:21 PM
The only time I want to see Garcia on the new grass is to cut it.

Kevvv
04-12-2010, 04:21 PM

eeeeffff
C Skonto
I'm going crazy
Oh yes it's true

Suds
04-12-2010, 04:22 PM
I have no idea how good these guys are but it's always better to have players earning playing time rather than get it because there's nobody else to put in.

profit89
04-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Raivis---Cann---Nana---Usanov

Agreed.

rocker
04-12-2010, 04:25 PM
what's up with Gomez anyway? I found him promising as a CB last year.

DangerRed
04-12-2010, 04:26 PM
No more Garcia, then? Please?

Nuvinho
i'm greedy, so we signed 3 players in the past few days.......we still need more please...a striker not named Dickov?

Davenport
Adrian Cann has played 14 competitive games in the last 3 years.
Before that he played with tier 2 clubs Vancouver and Montreal.
He failed to impress Nigel Clough on trial recently at Burton Albion in England.
Don't hold your breath.

grizzle

I think read somewhere that him and Hscanovic were represented by the same company so maybe they got some kinda of 2 for 1 deal or are just so desperate they will take whoever is available and it was easy for them to just work with the same agency.

backbeat
04-12-2010, 04:29 PM
what's up with Gomez anyway? I found him promising as a CB last year.

I was just going to ask that!! I thought he looked really good for a young kid - is he injured or outside Preki's plans??

Davenport
04-12-2010, 04:31 PM
I think read somewhere that him and Hscanovic were represented by the same company so maybe they got some kinda of 2 for 1 deal or are just so desperate they will take whoever is available and it was easy for them to just work with the same agency.

These 2 guys have no quality at all.

Johnston has no fukcing idea what he's doing.

Macksam
04-12-2010, 04:32 PM
He failed to impress Nigel Clough on trial recently at Burton Albion in England.
Don't hold your breath.
Would you prefer Garcia to start?

Davenport
04-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Would you prefer Garcia to start?

No way, he should never play again.
Just advising this player is one more in the many Johnston has signed who simply isn't good enough.

Carts
04-12-2010, 04:36 PM
A USL player and a player from a team I know nothing about...

Not much to get excited over...

Carts...

Davenport
04-12-2010, 04:39 PM

Carts...

Not much at all.

These players Johnston is signing are just not good enough.

oxygenatedbrain
04-12-2010, 04:39 PM
No way, he should never play again.
Just advising this player is one more in the many Johnston has signed who simply isn't good enough.

He actually failed to impress Clough Jr., because Clough Jr. isn't there...the Canadian manager, Paul Peschisolido, was impressed, however.

Jesus, man, talk about failure to impress...

sashavukelich
04-12-2010, 04:40 PM

Carts...

yeah i tend to agree...does anyone know much about his time overseas in...Norway? more like nor-wary.

ag futbol
04-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Don't hold your breath.
Agreed, he's @ about a Harden quality. No knock on the guy, he'll be a good depth player.

But if anyone is expecting him to be the defender we badly need, uh no.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-12-2010, 04:42 PM
These 2 guys have no quality at all.

so youve seen them play alot then have you?

Davenport
04-12-2010, 04:45 PM
so youve seen them play alot then have you?

No, have you ?

Look at who they've played for and how many competitive games they've each played in the last 3 years. Says it all.

You can't seriously think they're good signings ?

Davenport
04-12-2010, 04:47 PM
He actually failed to impress Clough Jr., because Clough Jr. isn't there...the Canadian manager, Paul Peschisolido, was impressed, however.

Jesus, man, talk about failure to impress...

My mistake. Clough's at Derby.
If he was impressed why didn't he sign him ?

Macksam
04-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Let's just wait and see.

Shakes McQueen
04-12-2010, 04:51 PM
No, have you ?

Look at who they've played for and how many competitive games they've each played in the last 3 years. Says it all.

My guess is he doesn't think a whole lot yet, considering we haven't seen them play a game for us. You're the one saying they're shit, based on who DIDN'T sign them.

- Scott

Davenport
04-12-2010, 04:51 PM
Believe me, no-one would like TFC to be a competitive team more than me.
It's been very frustrating seeing Johnston cock it up, and now it looks like he's getting desperate.

ArmenJBX
04-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Anyone have the kit numbers for these two?

Whoop
04-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Shalrie Joseph, Stuart Holden, Jimmy Conrad, etc all had a similar track records.

At the end of the day they're depth guys. Usanov at 25 I don't expect much, while Cann at 29 I expect less.

But I do expect more from them than Garcia.

Whoop
04-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Looks like we're up to 24 players.

Davenport
04-12-2010, 04:54 PM
My guess is he doesn't think a whole lot yet, considering we haven't seen them play a game for us. You're the one saying they're shit, based on who DIDN'T sign them.

- Scott

Didn't say they were sh**, just that they're not good enough.
We need to sign MUCH better players than we have already to improve the team.
Not similar to what we've already got.

ArmenJBX
04-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Looks like we're up to 24 players.

Defenders

Dan Gargan
Nick Garcia
Nana Attakora
Adrian Cann
Maksim Usanov
Ty Harden
Emmanuel Gomez
Raivis Hscanovic
Gabe Gala
Zac Herold

Forwards

Chad Barrett
O'Brian White
Fuad Ibrahim

How did that happen!? :D

rocker
04-12-2010, 04:59 PM
I'll give Cann and Usanov a chance to prove themselves as useful players before I throw them under the bus, the way I've thrown Garcia. They deserve at least half the chance Garcia has had.

Lucky Strike
04-12-2010, 05:00 PM
I was just going to ask that!! I thought he looked really good for a young kid - is he injured or outside Preki's plans??

Injured. A fairly long term injury I believe.

boban
04-12-2010, 05:05 PM
This is somewhat encouraging news. I believe Preki officially has no more excuses to include Garcia in the starting lineup...
Yes he does. Both still have to finish their ITC's and Usanov has yet to get a work permit.

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-12-2010, 05:08 PM
There was some spec. on the V's board at the Skonto connections, they had a couple English coaches who might have some Mo connections.

Can anyone with a more sophisticated understanding of these things explain why Cann, an out of contract, domestic player needs a ICT?

Ossington Mental Youth
04-12-2010, 05:13 PM
No, have you ?

Dunno
im just not jumping to conclusions before ive seen em play

Whoop
04-12-2010, 05:13 PM
The only English coach that Skonto had was Paul Ashworth.

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Cann is an improvement on Garcia just in terms of physical presence. There have been situations where Garcia's height has cost TFC, shouldn't be an issue with Cann.

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-12-2010, 05:17 PM
The only English coach that Skonto had was Paul Ashworth.

Gary Johnson coached Latvia, and I think he some Skonto connection too.

Bars92
04-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Mo needs to pull off a striker signing to save his career.

canadian_bhoy
04-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Exciting that we're adding some depth to our defense. I don't care where these guys are from - they've got a chance to prove themselves and I hope they do it. USL/trial/Eastern Europe, whatever. They got a shot and I hope they produce the goods.

Welcome to the club boys!

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-12-2010, 05:24 PM

I agree. For whatever reason this seems get overlooked. I'm just hoping he doesn't wait for Dickov. I think things will be too far gone by then.

sashavukelich
04-12-2010, 05:24 PM
Absolutely! welcome to the club :)

This should sort things out at the back, Garcia alone has been at BIG fault for...3/4 goals this term, with cann in the middle, should help. And help Gargan/Attackora/Usanov in the middle with him.

BS1327
04-12-2010, 05:25 PM
At least the signings are coming today and not Thursday at 6:59.

denime
04-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Exciting that we're adding some depth to our defense. I don't care where these guys are from - they've got a chance to prove themselves and I hope they do it. USL/trial/Eastern Europe, whatever. They got a shot and I hope they produce the goods.

Welcome to the club boys!

Agree 100%

Smokecell
04-12-2010, 05:27 PM

Paul Dickov may well end mojos carreer...careful how you phrase that

daner90
04-12-2010, 05:30 PM
I am willing to bet Garcia will still be starting Thursday....

profit89
04-12-2010, 05:46 PM
24 players. We're full. Only room left is for two Homegrown (Academy) signings to bring it to 26.

J .
04-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Im still not convinced about our backline. However, for the next 10-15 games, I hope they gel so when we push for one of the final playoff spots theyll have chemistry and play well down the stretch.

Garcia should retire to save us cap space.

Pachuco
04-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Not impressed at all with the signing of Cann. Don't know the least bit about Usanov so I'll wait until I see him play. Velez > Cann. I want Velez back.

Ontario Arab
04-12-2010, 07:03 PM
I would imagine MLSE are looking to purchase some smaller european teams..........with a view to purchasing an English team...........You will see, a "Cartel" sooner rather than later. Which is a fairly good way to go about things.......MLS team, Eastern Euro team(s) = Feeder for their "Big" team. Dont forget its all about making money for MLSE.

Blizzard
04-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Don't hold your breath.

Ya well Nigel Clough hasn't been with Burton Albion since January of 2009 their curent manager being a certain Mr. Paul Peschisolido.

And yes, you are correct in that Cann did trial with Burton Albion but to say Pesch wouldn't necessarilly be all that correct based on this article.

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/Sport/Defender-doubt-for-Peschisolido.htm

Pesch didn't say he was going to sign him but he sounded interested. It was this article that first linked Cann to TFC in a meaningful way.

tfc2007
04-12-2010, 07:36 PM
I don't think those are bad signings. Cann seems like a tough aggresive player. Hopefully this means gar see ya is on the bench... Or off the team.

Auzzy
04-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Defenders

Dan Gargan
Nick Garcia
Nana Attakora
Adrian Cann
Maksim Usanov
Ty Harden
Emmanuel Gomez
Raivis Hscanovic
Gabe Gala
Zac Herold

Forwards

Chad Barrett
O'Brian White
Fuad Ibrahim

How did that happen!? :D

Yeah that's pretty scary. At least Gargan and Gala also do well in midfield; maybe also Raivis.

Hmmm, we shall see.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-12-2010, 08:58 PM
i think we will see gargan and gala in mid more than defence

Kevvv
04-12-2010, 09:32 PM
I would imagine MLSE are looking to purchase some smaller european teams..........with a view to purchasing an English team...........You will see, a "Cartel" sooner rather than later. Which is a fairly good way to go about things.......MLS team, Eastern Euro team(s) = Feeder for their "Big" team. Dont forget its all about making money for MLSE.

More likely to purchase a big euro club for cross-promotional reasons, but I'd call it a remote possibility. They ddon't nee dto become vertically integrated and they couldnt translate the TFC model to a foreign market that they know nothing about.

drewski
04-12-2010, 09:45 PM

i remember 2 years ago they tried to buy Leeds

Whoop
04-12-2010, 09:48 PM
I thought it was Tottenham?

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-12-2010, 09:49 PM
I suppose we'll have to add a Latvian flag behind the south stand, then...

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-12-2010, 09:50 PM
I thought it was Tottenham?
I thought it was Sheffield Wednesday? :noidea:

tfcleeds
04-12-2010, 09:53 PM
I thought it was Sheffield Wednesday? :noidea:

I believe this was the team MLSE was linked with.

And no, it wasn't Leeds! Thank goodness! I support enough MLSE teams, don't need another.

Whoop
04-12-2010, 09:53 PM
And a Russian flag...

Whoop
04-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Tottenham Hotspur
http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/417801

http://www.spurs.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=506005

Sheffield Wednesday
http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=237031

Newcastle
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/124450

nfitz
04-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Defenders

Dan Gargan
Nick Garcia
Nana Attakora
Adrian Cann
Maksim Usanov
Ty Harden
Emmanuel Gomez
Raivis Hscanovic
Gabe Gala
Zac Herold

Forwards

Chad Barrett
O'Brian White
Fuad IbrahimWe seem a defender high, and a forward low. I guess we have to figure out which defender to throw under the bus. Hmm, now how would we make that choice ...

Macksam
04-12-2010, 10:23 PM
This won't happen.

Tottenham Hotspur
http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/417801

http://www.spurs.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=506005

Sheffield Wednesday
http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=237031

Newcastle
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/124450
All those stories said the Leafs "may" be interested in buying a club without giving any solid evidence. However, the last link said it all with this quote, "We're just not interested in owning a soccer franchise, football franchise in any place but Toronto. That project is completely dead. Some good learning, met some good people, but we have no interest. ... It's not for us."

They were never interested in buying a prem club. Most prem clubs don't make money, which is what MLSE is mostly after.

Oldtimer
04-13-2010, 06:24 AM
Both Usanov and fggewghqwgd are represented by an agency that specializes in Eastern European players. Finally some non-First Wave clients. Preki influence?

Not sold on Cann (USL-quality defender). Usanov? We'll have to wait and see.

Gazza
04-13-2010, 06:29 AM
I've seen Cann play a few times at the national level and he was a glaring liability every time. Hopefully Usanov can be a diamond in the rough. To steal a few comments from the rest of this thread, i'm not holding my breath.

Luanda
04-13-2010, 06:40 AM
Now with a full complement, time to get the job done.
And that job is both multi-faceted and has various components.

Chevy
04-13-2010, 06:50 AM
I've seen Cann play a few times at the national level and he was a glaring liability every time. Hopefully Usanov can be a diamond in the rough. To steal a few comments from the rest of this thread, i'm not holding my breath.

At least we now have some depth at the back. Let Preki figure out who deserves to be in the back four (although this should have been done six weeks ago, but I digress)

Red CB Toronto
04-13-2010, 07:51 AM
Will Cann remind us of the days of Braz and Reda? A USL quality player that the Reds signed due to their need for Canadian depth, who knows, but just a thought.

Gazza
04-13-2010, 08:01 AM
[quote=CBlake;973689]Will Cann remind us of the days of Braz and Reda? A USL quality player that the Reds signed due to their need for Canadian depth, who knows, but just a thought.[/quote

Adrian Cann is Marco Reda 2.0

menefreghista
04-13-2010, 08:28 AM
TFC didn't have to sign any more Canadians. So Cann wasn't signed to meet any quotas.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-13-2010, 08:40 AM
Both Usanov and fggewghqwgd are represented by an agency that specializes in Eastern European players. Finally some non-First Wave clients. Preki influence?

id say that the good majority of the signings this year are Preki's decision even if they are first wave clients.

Davenport
04-13-2010, 08:45 AM
Ya well Nigel Clough hasn't been with Burton Albion since January of 2009 their curent manager being a certain Mr. Paul Peschisolido.

And yes, you are correct in that Cann did trial with Burton Albion but to say Pesch wouldn't necessarilly be all that correct based on this article.

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/Sport/Defender-doubt-for-Peschisolido.htm

Pesch didn't say he was going to sign him but he sounded interested. It was this article that first linked Cann to TFC in a meaningful way.

My mistake. Clough's at Derby.

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-13-2010, 08:45 AM
Adrian Cann is Marco Reda 2.0
Way to judge a player before you've even seen him play. This guy is one of Canada's better defenders, coming from someone who, yes, has actually seen him play.

Pachuco
04-13-2010, 08:50 AM
Way to judge a player before you've even seen him play. This guy is one of Canada's better defenders, coming from someone who, yes, has actually seen him play.

But he said in his previous post he's seen him play. I've seen him play as well and there is no way he's one of canadas better defenders.

Nazzer
04-13-2010, 08:55 AM
TFC didn't have to sign any more Canadians. So Cann wasn't signed to meet any quotas.

Can someone explain to me how TFC has only 5 Canadians on their roster? I thought they had to have at least 7? And am I the only one that remembers the promise of an all Canadian starting 11 from Mo in year 1?

menefreghista
04-13-2010, 08:57 AM
But he said in his previous post he's seen him play. I've seen him play as well and there is no way he's one of canadas better defenders.

Ya, every time he's played for the national team I've wondered why they didn't have one of Hainault, Jakovic or McKenna in there instead of him.

We're most likely looking at a guy in the Reda/Velez/Boyens range of player.

menefreghista
04-13-2010, 08:59 AM
Can someone explain to me how TFC has only 5 Canadians on their roster? I thought they had to have at least 7? And am I the only one that remembers the promise of an all Canadian starting 11 from Mo in year 1?

With the signing of Cann we actually have 6 Canadians on our team.

Basically the reason we are allowed to have less Canadians is that we've traded for more international spots from other MLS teams and/or lobbied MLS for more international spots.

TFC is allowed to have 19 internationals (or Americans) on a roster of 24 (I'm not sure what this means with the roster increase).

Pachuco
04-13-2010, 09:01 AM
Ya, every time he's played for the national team I've wondered why they didn't have one of Hainault, Jakovic or McKenna in there instead of him.

We're most likely looking at a guy in the Reda/Velez/Boyens range of player.

Well at age 29 he has 8 caps. I'd be shocked if Nana doesn't replace him on the CMNT bench this year. Unless of course he comes in and proves himself with TFC. I guess there's always a chance he rescues his career here. At the end of the day though, if it was up to me today (which of course it isn't ;)) he wouldn't make the CMNT bench.

menefreghista
04-13-2010, 09:03 AM
Well at age 29 he has 8 caps. I'd be shocked if Nana doesn't replace him on the CMNT bench this year. Unless of course he comes in and proves himself with TFC. I guess there's always a chance he rescues his career here. At the end of the day though, if it was up to me today (which of course it isn't ;)) he wouldn't make the CMNT bench.

Can't believe I forgot Nana. :facepalm: That's another guy that should start for Canada ahead of him.

I think Cann could be a decent depth signing.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Nazzer
04-13-2010, 09:06 AM
With the signing of Cann we actually have 6 Canadians on our team.

Basically the reason we are allowed to have less Canadians is that we've traded for more international spots from other MLS teams and/or lobbied MLS for more international spots.

TFC is allowed to have 19 internationals (or Americans) on a roster of 24 (I'm not sure what this means with the roster increase).

Cann, Gala, Attakora, De Ro, De Guzman.

Who is the sixth?

menefreghista
04-13-2010, 09:08 AM

Who is the sixth?

O'Brien White counts as a Canadian.

Shaughno
04-13-2010, 09:09 AM
There's only 5 Cdn's.

Pachuco

Who is the sixth?

OBW?

Shaughno
O'Brien White counts as a Canadian.

I know he lived here, but does he hold citizenship?

Pachuco
04-13-2010, 09:12 AM
I know he lived here, but does he hold citizenship?

Actually...looks like he doesn't. Unless he got it since this interview.

Many readers (particularly Toronto FC fans) have been asking about your Canadian eligibility. Are you a Canadian citizen/do you currently hold a Canadian passport?

I’m a Jamaican citizen but I’m a resident of Canada.

http://mlsdraft.net/?q=node/88

TFCREDNWHITE
04-13-2010, 09:13 AM
Cann looks roughed up in that photo. I hope they can both start on Thursday. Raivis---Cann---Nana---Usanov

Agreed!

menefreghista
04-13-2010, 09:16 AM
I believe its OBW's landed immigrant status in Canada that allows him to be considered a domestic for us.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

He has lived here since 2002.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-13-2010, 09:23 AM
I believe its OBW's landed immigrant status in Canada that allows him to be considered a domestic for us.

pretty sure thats the case

Section 110
04-13-2010, 09:26 AM

The likelihood is that OBW is a "Permanent Resident" which means he has all the benefits of Canadian Citizenship, without actually being a passport carrier. This is the last step before becoming a full-fledged citizen, although he could remain a permanent resident until the end of time. For our purposes, this would probably qualify him for a Canadian roster slot although I am not sure how MLS determines that.

menefreghista
04-13-2010, 09:30 AM
The likelihood is that OBW is a "Permanent Resident" which means he has all the benefits of Canadian Citizenship, without actually being a passport carrier. This is the last step before becoming a full-fledged citizen, although he could remain a permanent resident until the end of time. For our purposes, this would probably qualify him for a Canadian roster slot although I am not sure how MLS determines that.

Thanks.

Shaughno
04-13-2010, 09:31 AM
That may very well be the case, but I'm pretty sure he just moved back here and hasn't been here since 2002.

J .
04-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Cann will get to start and lets not forget a USL team beat us last year in the Champions League qualifying.

Either way, Cann never has been my first choice for the CMNT and likely wont be for TFC.

It seems we have a lot of depth on the backline, but no one who really is a standout starter. Lets not forget Nana is still young and developing. Expecting him to carry our back line there is not a fair assessment.

Whoop
04-13-2010, 10:50 AM
With the deadline of April 15th, is TFC done with roster changes for now?

Macksam
04-13-2010, 11:30 AM
I don't recall. If anything, 2016 would be the earliest in all honesty to fielding an all Canadian starting eleven. It'll take time for it to happen.

menefreghista
04-13-2010, 11:50 AM
With the deadline of April 15th, is TFC done with roster changes for now?

We can still trade within the league.

Broadview
04-13-2010, 11:50 AM

This is what I understand as well. It's the similar to how Amado Guevara counted as an "American" for roster purposes since he held a green card.

Whoop
04-13-2010, 12:07 PM
We can still trade within the league.

Thanks.

menefreghista
04-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Thanks.

Gotta put all those 3rd round picks to use somehow!

S_D
04-13-2010, 12:42 PM
Gotta put all those 3rd round picks to use somehow!

haha they will hold on to them... they will be the cheapie dev spots for next season :D

Lucky Strike
04-13-2010, 01:24 PM
Not hugely important but:

http://www.torontofc.ca/content/new-pitch

See picture 3 of 12. Usanov will wear #33 (background). Seems someone beat me to the punch in Wikipedia though.

Serb_Star
04-13-2010, 02:04 PM
They can't be any worse than Garcia so I'm happy.

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-13-2010, 02:07 PM
They can't be any worse than Garcia so I'm happy.
My thoughts exactly.

toronto red
04-13-2010, 02:59 PM
pretty sure thats the case

Yes, permanent resident counts as domestic.

oxygenatedbrain
04-13-2010, 03:06 PM
The essential criterion is legal right to work in the country, which is part of PR status.

sashavukelich
04-13-2010, 03:16 PM
any word on the International Transfer Certificates (ITC) for Usanov/Cann + Usanov's work visa?