PDA

View Full Version : Home Field Advantage By The Numbers

bgnewf
04-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Blog Post Below:

Please feel free to visit www.tfcpics.com (http://www.tfcpics.com) to leave comments.

__________________________________________________ __________
Sporting a new North Stand, some new amenities and of course a new grass pitch, Toronto FC opens accounts at BMO Field on Thursday for it’s home opener against the expansion side Philadelphia Union.

Now after losing both away games to start the season there is undeniably a large amount of anger and foreboding out there in the dedicated TFC fan base. On the boards I am reading about some fans planning to wave pink slips for Nick Garcia for example and of even silence during the introduction of the players on Thursday. None of these kinds of actions, albeit understandable reactions, are going to accomplish anything. The players do not choose themselves. Mo builds the club and Preki chooses the starting eleven.

I am as angry as the next guy about how things have gone so far for TFC, and maybe angrier than most. I think that this season in many ways feels like a rebuilding year more than anything else, and in our fourth season calling it a rebuilding year is one of the most depressing things of all.

But I think a bit of perspective is in order. And to get some perspective I took a look at last season’s stats for Toronto FC home and away. Hopefully they can provide us some perspective and context for what the club has to do in order to get into the playoffs this season.

2009 Home Record

Wins 8
Losses 4
Draws 3
Points 27

2009 Away Record

Wins 2
Losses 7
Draws 6
Points 12

2009 Totals

Wins 10
Losses 11
Draws 9
Points 39

We dropped 18 points at home on that horrible rug called FieldturfTM. Even if we do just the same at home this season as last year the team will give itself a fighting chance. Columbus (Supporters Shield Winners last season) won only 13 out of 30 games last year to lead the league.
Away we only won twice all season. Two games won outright. Six draws away and seven outright losses. Win one or maybe two more games on the road than last season and we have a fighting chance to make the playoffs.

The debate has already begun about if this club is as good as last season. I for one do not think we are as good, not even close, but that does not necessarily mean we won’t make the playoffs. As I keep stressing, at this point it is too early to tell. There were three points separating 7th and 12th places last season in MLS. Parity can be the great leveller.

Even though the road ahead is long I believe strongly that TFC has to win the game Thursday. Nothing less is acceptable and nothing less will allay the fears that a large segment of the fan base has about the club’s prospects this season. A loss means the road ahead will be dramatically tougher if a win against an expansion club can’t take place and an 0-3 record will be a significant hurdle to overcome, even in a "parity" league.

J .
04-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Im stoked about the game. I hope the supporters bring their best. Lets give it our best and urge the team onto victory.

Krasno.pL.
04-12-2010, 11:47 AM
:iagree:

bangersandmash
04-12-2010, 12:14 PM
We dropped 18 points at home on that horrible rug called FieldturfTM. Even if we do just the same at home this season as last year the team will give itself a fighting chance. Columbus (Supporters Shield Winners last season) won only 13 out of 30 games last year to lead the league.

This is so very, very important. We only need to be a little bit better than last year and we're in. This is the MLS... *no one* is watching beautiful football week-in and week-out, and every team shares many of the problems we do.

If we can convert even half of our 9 ties from last year into wins (via not conceding in the last 15?) we've got it made. Especially since MLS teams are pretty much all leaky at the back (league avg = 38 goals against last year) and those that are better still have their very bad days (LA had one of the best D's last year and still managed to lay a turd in a 6-3 loss to Colorado)

A lot of the anger in here is justifiable, but I think a lot of it is pent up shell shock from the 5-0 ending to our season last year. I can't wait for Thursday!

billyfly
04-12-2010, 01:04 PM
http://content.ytmnd.com/content/f/8/4/f8484ac76b6c6b93acd1f99078611e35.jpg

scooter
04-12-2010, 01:30 PM
the weather watcher ( the mrs) says now they have changed forecast and its not going to rain but even if it does i have my new rpb poncho to break in