PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Monday,Apr.12

denime
04-12-2010, 05:34 AM
Mornin'

TFC to greener pastures? (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/tfc-to-greener-pastures/article1531021/)

Not a lot of hope for TFC’s direction (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/04/11/13547301.html)

Struggles Continue At Foxborough (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/04/struggles-continue-foxborough)

Preki's post game interview (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=-2&id=1760)

Some hard lessons for Toronto FC (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/james-on-soccer/some-hard-lessons-for-toronto-fc/article1530504/)

http://i40.tinypic.com/2z99ny1.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/ounzmw.jpg

SUNSHINE :)
(http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

DOMIN8R
04-12-2010, 06:05 AM
http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2010/04/12/1874859/monday-mls-breakdown-defensive-problems-continue-to-plague

As Johnston's ill-conceived deal to acquire former Kansas City teammate Nick Garcia and his massive guaranteed contract last summer (though, in fairness, with some considerations to soften the financial blow last campaign) neatly summarizes, the Scot's judgment on all defensive matters deserves considerable scrutiny.

ensco
04-12-2010, 06:53 AM
^What, his judgment on offensive matters is so stellar?

We have one goal in 600 minutes this year.

keem-o-sabi
04-12-2010, 07:35 AM
coed ladies 1 (http://coedmagazine.com/2010/04/11/miss-coed-michelle-chappell/) and 2 (http://coedmagazine.com/2010/04/09/entourages-emmanuelle-chriqui-gets-bootyboobalicious/)

Well if that is the case with Cronin, hopefully trade him as he was one of the better rookies last year imo.

flatpicker
04-12-2010, 07:40 AM
SSG = wow!

Lucky Strike
04-12-2010, 07:45 AM
Wheeler has this correct, I'm afraid. Cronin is neither a stopper (like Robbo) nor quick enough to move the ball upfield quickly. The more I think about it, the box-to-box midfielder we've had that best fits Preki's 4-4-2 system is Maurice Edu. Oh well. Sanyang has potential in this regard.

Despite what Gareth Wanker thinks, I don't see Cronin being shipped out. Put simply, by giving Preki the reigns to bring in and ship out players as he pleases, Mo has basically admitted (at least to himself) that he can't do the job. He's relying on someone else to save his job. However, most of us won't deny Mo's great drafting ability. If Cronin is shipped out, it's like taking away the one thing that Mo is actually good at, by accepting that Cronin is not a player they feel can contribute. I believe Mo's rat-like self-preservation skills won't allow that to happen.

Oldtimer
04-12-2010, 08:01 AM
Despite what Gareth Wanker thinks, I don't see Cronin being shipped out. Put simply, by giving Preki the reigns to bring in and ship out players as he pleases, Mo has basically admitted (at least to himself) that he can't do the job. He's relying on someone else to save his job. However, most of us won't deny Mo's great drafting ability. If Cronin is shipped out, it's like taking away the one thing that Mo is actually good at, by accepting that Cronin is not a player they feel can contribute. I believe Mo's rat-like self-preservation skills won't allow that to happen.

Cronin is a hard worker too, exactly the type of player that Preki likes.

Mo is a great drafter, it's his one good attribute. It's also no question that Preki has the reigns. If Preki dumps Cronin, Cronin will go.

ManUtd4ever
04-12-2010, 08:08 AM
The one area of the club that boasts considerable depth other than in goal is the central midfield. I love Cronin but if he is the card that needs to be dealt in order to acquire a quality center back than it might be a worthy sacrifice...

scooter
04-12-2010, 08:14 AM
mornin d

Steve
04-12-2010, 08:19 AM
I don't know, it just seems to me like Preki has lost the plot (I know I know, too early to tell). He started a very strange lineup, benched JDG and Cronin, had only a few starters from last year on (including Garcia for unknown reasons). Personally, I think starting Nane (a 53rd overall pick) at left mid over Cronin (a 3rd overall pick) was the height of insanity. Nane did nothing all game, was moved to defense (last year Cronin was actually quite good at playing defensively) and gave up what could only be described at the height of a rookie goal. Cronin played at left wing last year at times, did fairly well for himself, and provided great defensive cover. What the hell?

The only thing I can think of is Preki just doesn't want to deal with anyone who he has not personally selected, which is the height of folly. He doesn't seem to like JDG (every time he is asked to comment on him he avoids the question) even. Instead, he wants to bring in a bunch of players that, frankly, aren't that good and work with them (instead of working with players we have with good upsides). Again, I know it's too early in the season to tell, but this is the first season I haven't even known the direction we are going. Before it was always like "ok, I think these positions, we are strong there, we need a good vet CB to anchor the back line, a solid striker, and we're competative". This year I have no idea what the plan is, don't think we are strong at any position, and can't for the life of me figure out the direction we are headed. Maybe Preki is crazy like a fox, and a few games in his system will "click" and suddenly we'll be world beaters, but I just don't get it right now.

Shaughno
04-12-2010, 08:27 AM
Steve, I actually don't think he's lost the plot.

I thought the first 45 mins was one of the best, most hard working halves I've ever seen our team play. We were fighting for, and winning many balls in the middle.

I thought Nane did well until he was moved to the backline, which IMO was a huge mistake. He went from having a decent game, to a shit game. He went from winning balls in the air, and on the ground, to making stupid mistakes and oddball passes. I actually thought Garcia did 'OK' in the first half, making some incredible nearly end to end cross field passes for DeRo on the wing. Half the traveling support was almost gasping when he made those passes, then the second half started and the Garcia we all know and hate reared his ugly head.

Steve
04-12-2010, 08:31 AM
Steve, I actually don't think he's lost the plot.

I thought the first 45 mins was one of the best, most hard working halves I've ever seen our team play. We were fighting for, and winning many balls in the middle.

I thought Nane did well until he was moved to the backline, which IMO was a huge mistake. He went from having a decent game, to a shit game. He went from winning balls in the air, and on the ground, to making stupid mistakes and oddball passes. I actually thought Garcia did 'OK' in the first half, making some incredible nearly end to end cross field passes for DeRo on the wing. Half the traveling support was almost gasping when he made those passes, then the second half started and the Garcia we all know and hate reared his ugly head.

Fair enough, and I know I'm more emotional than rational about the team right now, so I'll take your statements for what they are (since I watched on TV, I didn't get the same experience you guys did). As I said, his moves might turn out to be the best thing for TFC, I just can't see it right now, especially after a 4-1 loss. I guess it just feels like we were close last year, and we've done nothing but move backwards.

Oh well, time will tell, Preki might step up and lead this team to its first ever playoff berth, or we may compete for worst team in MLS history. I'm willing stay on board either way, I just wish the ride were a little less painful :).

Chevy
04-12-2010, 08:36 AM
Well said - Time will tell. You can't fault Preki, or even (most of) the players just yet.

The problem is that in terms if personnel, tinkering with lineups, etc. where we are NOW is where we should have been five or six WEEKS ago.

Pachuco
04-12-2010, 08:45 AM
WTF? I wondered why Cronin wasn't playing. I never actually thought he was healthy when he was on the bench. Unfuckingbelievable that Preki benched Cronin with the shitty ass roster we have.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Cronin is a hard worker too, exactly the type of player that Preki likes.

Mo is a great drafter, it's his one good attribute. It's also no question that Preki has the reigns. If Preki dumps Cronin, Cronin will go.

i dont see Preki dropping Cronin, he is the type of two way hard worker he likes, i honestly think in this case he was tinkering abit and maybe felt some other younger players deserved a look, dont forget these guys need game experience too

MG42
04-12-2010, 10:07 AM
From Goff

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/?hpid=news-col-blog-viewall

*Former D.C. United striker Luciano Emilio is back in Brazil, awaiting word on whether he will be able to join a new MLS club before Thursday's international transfer deadline. Should Emilio reach contract terms with the league, United would have the right of first refusal and be able to request compensation. Philadelphia and at least one other MLS club have expressed interest. Emilio told the Insider in an e-mail this morning that "I think everything is going to be resolved soon!" A United official said there was nothing new to report at the moment.Could we see Emilio on Thursday?

Ossington Mental Youth
04-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Well said - Time will tell. You can't fault Preki, or even (most of) the players just yet.

The problem is that in terms if personnel, tinkering with lineups, etc. where we are NOW is where we should have been five or six WEEKS ago.

yep totally

Pachuco
04-12-2010, 10:10 AM
From Goff

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/?hpid=news-col-blog-viewall

Could we see Emilio on Thursday?

Could a deal involving Cronin and Emilio be in the works? that's the only explanation I have for him not starting on saturday.

MG42
04-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Could a deal involving Cronin and Emilio be in the works? that's the only explanation I have for him not starting on saturday.

hmmm interesting...

Shaughno
04-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Or maybe he wanted to get Sanyang a start to see how he would perform? Or maybe he wasn't up to snuff in practice this week? Who knows, but there's plenty of reasons he could have done what he did.

I heard a lot of interesting stuff this weekend and firmly believe with Preki at the helm, nobody is safe if they don't want to bust their balls.

Pachuco
04-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Or maybe he wanted to get Sanyang a start to see how he would perform? Or maybe he wasn't up to snuff in practice this week? Who knows, but there's plenty of reasons he could have done what he did.

I heard a lot of interesting stuff this weekend and firmly believe with Preki at the helm, nobody is safe if they don't want to bust their balls.

Oh there's definately reasons. But good ones, I only see one :)

Nazzer
04-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Preki's post game interview (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=-2&id=1760)

Is Preki's seemingly 'not give a shit' demeanor he puts out during interviews based on a difficuulty with the English language, or is that his natural demeanor? If it is, I would have a hard time being inspired by someone like that.

mastermixer
04-12-2010, 10:22 AM
I think its more a "I don't give a shit about the press" attitude more than anything. I'm sure he laid a big shitstorm on the players after the game.

icecoldbeer
04-12-2010, 10:23 AM
I think its more a "I don't give a shit about the press" attitude more than anything. I'm sure he laid a big shitstorm on the players after the game.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=372&pictureid=2350

Looks more like hes taking a shit.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-12-2010, 10:31 AM

i could be totally wrong but ill be amazed if we sign Emilio, especially with him wanting to play with Fred at Philly

Darlofletch
04-12-2010, 10:45 AM
This may be a dumb question, but is it nane joseph or joseph nane?

Up until the game on saturday, I though Joseph was his last name, and the goal.com article refers to him as nane joseph but the commentators on saturday always referred to him as Nane?

and also, Edson Buddle has 5 goals already!!!!!

T-Bird
04-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Johnston has essentially torn up his blueprint and passed the roster-building buck to Preki. Who’s in and who’s out at the club is completely at Preki’s discretion. Johnston has even disagreed with some of Preki’s player personnel decisions, but has signed off on the moves.

Serioux and Wynne out. . . .. . . PLEASE explain to me how any of our players currently are better than them.

Preki needs to be accountable as well. . In fact, I fel MORE of the responsibility lies with him. . we call for MO's head every couple of seconds and then Diefy Preki. . . he is part of the leadership and a BIG part of the problem as far as I see it. .

rocker
04-12-2010, 10:53 AM

Up until the game on saturday, I though Joseph was his last name, and the goal.com article refers to him as nane joseph but the commentators on saturday always referred to him as Nane?

check out the TFC TV interview the other day. Wileman asked him... he said Joseph Nane... or JO JO!

denime
04-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Johnston has essentially torn up his blueprint and passed the roster-building buck to Preki. Who’s in and who’s out at the club is completely at Preki’s discretion. Johnston has even disagreed with some of Preki’s player personnel decisions, but has signed off on the moves.

Serioux and Wynne out. . . .. . . PLEASE explain to me how any of our players currently are better than them.

Preki needs to be accountable as well. . In fact, I fel MORE of the responsibility lies with him. . we call for MO's head every couple of seconds and then Diefy Preki. . . he is part of the leadership and a BIG part of the problem as far as I see it. .

To call Preki responsible after 2 games is very premature and you have to try to see a big picture,don't live in a moment.To rebuild the team take time a little bit more than few months.

drewski
04-12-2010, 11:02 AM

on the MLS recap, it shows the players last names and for him it shows Joseph.

if you really wanna mess with your mind, wiki says Nane Joseph Fils Eone

drewski
04-12-2010, 11:04 AM
To call Preki responsible after 2 games is very premature and you have to try to see a big picture,don't live in a moment.To rebuild the team take time a little bit more than few months.

+1

once the team is formed in Preki's mold, then he will be responsible. Mo on the other hand is responsible for the cluster fuck that lead up to this point

rocker
04-12-2010, 11:20 AM
i wanna see how they look at home. TFC has always been absolutely and totally pathetic on the road (regardless of lineup, coach, city, turf, grass) but good at BMO. Usually, MLS teams over the course of the season will mostly lose on the road and win a great deal at home.
It's a Jekyll/Hyde league in that way. But if they suck at home, then we have a problem.

TFC_4_Life
04-12-2010, 11:25 AM
The other team interested in Emilio was Dallas, and not Toronto. I had been following the story over the past couple weeks. Unless of course that changed last minute.

bangersandmash
04-12-2010, 11:27 AM
This seems apt...

http://thisisindexed.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/card2537-380x222.jpg

From ThisIsIndexed.com (http://thisisindexed.com)

S_D
04-12-2010, 11:28 AM

Actually I find that Preki being the man to make the decisions against Mo's wishes refreshing. Mo has made too many mistakes. Preki has already proven he can win and get teams in playoffs while Mo has failed.

What Mo faces now is a test of his abilities to live up to the name Trader Mo. Can he dump the players Preki wants out and get decent return? To date I would say he has been unsuccessful in getting close to full value.

It is no doubt going to take some time. If the players we have now (minus the dead wood) last until next season, we should have a decent group that has played together, and not be as unprepared as seasons past.

We really won't be able to judge Preki until next season when he has a full salary cap -deadwood + whatever allocation money there is at his disposal.

Stouffville_RPB
04-12-2010, 11:32 AM
Who’s in and who’s out at the club is completely at Preki’s discretion.

To a certain extent. If Preki doesn't like one of the higher profile players (JDG or DeRo) and says get rid of them do you really think Mo or FO would allow this to happen?

It took them how much time and money to get those players here? I don't think they would be moved just because Preki says so.

When it comes to marginal players it's Preki's team.

Oldtimer
04-12-2010, 11:39 AM
To a certain extent. If Preki doesn't like one of the higher profile players (JDG or DeRo) and says get rid of them do you really think Mo or FO would allow this to happen?

It took them how much time and money to get those players here? I don't think they would be moved just because Preki says so.

With Preki, he's in charge, period.

At Chivas, they had made a big signing with Guevara, and he made Guevara walk the plank.

J .
04-12-2010, 11:42 AM
Cronin for Andy Iro please...

or Kenny Cooper

Ossington Mental Youth
04-12-2010, 12:04 PM
wynne was terrible technically and positionally, all he was is fast.
Serioux was played out of position, was injured, a surplus and cost alot.

denime
04-12-2010, 12:13 PM

He doesn't have to tell FO anything,he can sit certain players on the bench,1st halftime and then eventually whole game,etc. ;)

Then FO will ask themselves do we really want a big contract on the bench or should we try to trade him?

There are many way coach can make them do what he want,as long team has success they'll do it.

As for now Preki doesn't have a success with the team and everything looks like a big gamble i our eyes.

Time will tell.

CretanBull
04-12-2010, 01:30 PM

We didn't get better players, we got cheaper players to give us some cap room to sign some more cheap players - it was the only way that we could add players to our (embarrassingly thin) roster. That's Mo's fault.

Beach_Red
04-12-2010, 01:53 PM
We didn't get better players, we got cheaper players to give us some cap room to sign some more cheap players - it was the only way that we could add players to our (embarrassingly thin) roster. That's Mo's fault.

It's a little surpising that it's acceptable to have both sides of the negotiaton represented by the same agent when these players' contracts are signed. Especially given that it's in the best interest of the agent to get long-term, guaranteed, expensive contracts as they get paid a percentage. It's someone's fault this is allowed to happen....

Roogsy
04-12-2010, 02:11 PM
Well...at least today's SSG is hot.

Always look on the bright side of life? :noidea:

Gazza
04-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Well...at least today's SSG is hot.

True say...and if only the SSG was a CB and we wore the whites and it actually rained...i think i'm asking for way too much...let's just get win!

CretanBull
04-12-2010, 02:22 PM
It's a little surpising that it's acceptable to have both sides of the negotiaton represented by the same agent when these players' contracts are signed. Especially given that it's in the best interest of the agent to get long-term, guaranteed, expensive contracts as they get paid a percentage. It's someone's fault this is allowed to happen....

No kidding, eh?

I think the only reason why that isn't illegal is because - technically - the players are signed by the league and not the GMs.

bgnewf
04-12-2010, 03:18 PM
From the Associated Press:

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Major League Soccer's D.C. United will host Italy's AC Milan in an exhibition match May 26 at RFK Stadium.

It will be the clubs' first match against each other.

D.C. United president Kevin Payne said Monday the game will be ''a great test for our players.'' He also said D.C. United could add games against ''two other major European clubs.''

Because the game is less than three weeks before the World Cup, AC Milan won't have any of its stars who will be with national teams.

Could they be our big friendly of this season? We have had English and Spanish clubs here but nothing from italy as of yet. This seems like a no brainer to me.

jloome
04-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Wheeler has this correct, I'm afraid. Cronin is neither a stopper (like Robbo) nor quick enough to move the ball upfield quickly. The more I think about it, the box-to-box midfielder we've had that best fits Preki's 4-4-2 system is Maurice Edu. Oh well. Sanyang has potential in this regard.

Yet when I said this last year and said the obvious choice was to move him to fullback (as he can cross, dribble and tackle), people thought I was nuts.

Mark in Ottawa
04-12-2010, 06:37 PM

That's it!
If TFC starts to play badly we need a rousing chorus of "Always look on the bright side of life" ala Monty Python :rolleyes:

Ontario Arab
04-12-2010, 07:05 PM
wynne was terrible technically and positionally, all he was is fast.
Serioux was played out of position, was injured, a surplus and cost alot.
100% agreed