PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Game: TFC vs. Philadelphia Union (April 15th)

TFC USA
04-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Kickoff is at 7:00 PM live on GolTV Canada and on ESPN for those of us in the States.

Toronto FC hasn't won a game, but they also haven't played in front of the best fucking fans in MLS at BMO Field. :scarf:

Philadelphia Union has won a game, but they haven't won/scored on the road.

This is our best chance at victory for the entire month. If we can't win this then obviously Garcia will have started, and heads will start to roll.

I'm hoping for a 1-1 draw based on our form.

Stryker
04-11-2010, 04:03 PM
Gargan---Attakora---Gomez---Hscanovics
Cronin---------De Guzman-------LaBrocca
------------------Saric------------------
-------Barrett------------DeRosario------

If Gomez isn't ready then Usanov or Harden. Garcia shouldn't even dress.
Give Barrett the chance to start as White was invisable yesterday.
I thought Hscanovics played really well keeping in mind he's coming off injury and has had no time playing with the team.
I'm hoping De Guzman and Saric can form some chemistry through the middle.

deeznutz
04-11-2010, 04:10 PM
I heard it might rain...........Cover up the tears that might be!

Ossington Mental Youth
04-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Usanov---Attakora---Harden---Hscanovics
Gargan---Saric--De Guzman-------LaBrocca/Cronin
-------Barrett------------DeRosario------
Usanov is a RB so i suspect Gargan will move up to provide service up front, also preki likes for his cm's to take turns going back and forth

I think i might be a bit optimistic with the omission of Garcia from the line up

Gazza
04-11-2010, 04:29 PM
I predict Garcia will start and get man o' the match honours!

Stryker
04-11-2010, 04:34 PM

http://politicalpartypooper.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/bm1172say-no-to-crack-posters.jpg

Gazza
04-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Sorry, afternoon bbq started early, i'm drunk!

flatpicker
04-11-2010, 04:42 PM
You members who don't have a flag, or are too lazy to bring one to the game, please check this thread:
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=21462

Flag Volunteers wanted... the more the merrier!

nfitz
04-11-2010, 04:42 PM
This is really a must-win match. If we can't beat Philadelphia at home - then we have an insurmountable problem.

The forecast is a metaphor:
Monday 15° and sunny
Tuesday 13° and sunny
Wednesday 16° and sunny
Thursday 7° and rain
Friday 15° and sunny
Saturday 13° and sunny

It's like there is a big black cloud just hanging on top of Toronto FC!

profit89
04-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Preki is going to make Garcia captain. Cause he's hard working. Meh.

Lennon
04-11-2010, 06:34 PM
I want to see this lineup

--------------------------------Frei-----------------------------------
Gargan-------------Attakora---------Harden/Usinov----------Hščanovičs
----------------------LeBrocca----------De Guzman---------------------
-------------Peterson---------De Rosario-------------Barrett-----------
---------------------------------White---------------------------------

Nuvinho
04-11-2010, 06:40 PM
let's start with small steps, let's first pray for no rain..then we can pray for no Garcia, then we can pray for our team to score.

KiwiRedsFan
04-11-2010, 06:45 PM
I'm amped, I get to watch this game too without having to resort to my computer for a feed. Thanks to ESPN.

I blame all the other losses on myself cause I didn't wear my TFC shirt. But this time I will be...so hopefully we can lock in a win.

morgank1986
04-11-2010, 07:59 PM
You members who don't have a flag, or are too lazy to bring one to the game, please check this thread:
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=21462

Flag Volunteers wanted... the more the merrier!

I'll be at the top of 112, 212A I think it's called. I'll volunteer to wave the flag.

jloome
04-11-2010, 08:45 PM
I want to see this lineup

--------------------------------Frei-----------------------------------
Gargan-------------Attakora---------Harden/Usinov----------Hščanovičs
----------------------LeBrocca----------De Guzman---------------------
-------------Peterson---------De Rosario-------------Barrett-----------
---------------------------------White---------------------------------

Usanov is a 5'9" right back.

Lennon
04-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Usanov is a 5'9" right back.

Oh. Well he has some experience at CB if this (http://www.football-lineups.com/match/20965/)is accurate ...

Harden at CB then and Gargen/Usanov at RB

profit89
04-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Oh. Well he has some experience at CB if this (http://www.football-lineups.com/match/20965/)is accurate ...

Pretty wicked site dude.

Pearce321
04-11-2010, 09:09 PM

http://files1.guildlaunch.net/guild/library/68863/second%20scruffy%202.jpg

Auzzy
04-11-2010, 09:25 PM
let's start with small steps, let's first pray for no rain..then we can pray for no Garcia, then we can pray for our team to score.

I would change the order of that wish list. In fact, I would probably be ok with rain, snow, hail, fire & brimstone if that could guarantee us Garcia doesn't play.

LesH
04-11-2010, 09:46 PM
If some guys wanna pray, I have just a little suggestion: :D

Why not make it humble and simple, and instead of praying for so many things (you greedy bastards, lol), pray just for TFC to score one more goal than Philly. :hump:

jazzy
04-11-2010, 10:14 PM
I'm amped, I get to watch this game too without having to resort to my computer for a feed. Thanks to ESPN.

I blame all the other losses on myself cause I didn't wear my TFC shirt. But this time I will be...so hopefully we can lock in a win.

you sir are a breath of fresh air, thanx, much needed...... however I am now going back to my

:deadhorse::banghead:

Gazza
04-11-2010, 10:37 PM

Did you also happen to notice that he used to play on Jesus' team? He sold his soul to the devil to play for TFC, i like that dedication.

Red CB Toronto
04-11-2010, 10:45 PM
I am so pumped for Thursday, first game in my new location, having moved over to section 119, row 10, looking forward to a fun season despite whatever happens on the field.

I see the Reds wanting to come out strong, but who knows.

Brooker
04-11-2010, 10:48 PM
I hope it rains... nothing like that atmosphere!

CMOOOOOOOON YOU REDS!

Torontotonto
04-11-2010, 11:10 PM
I am so pumped for Thursday, first game in my new location, having moved over to section 119, row 10, looking forward to a fun season despite whatever happens on the field.

I see the Reds wanting to come out strong, but who knows.

Union's going down.

Torontotonto
04-11-2010, 11:27 PM
This is really a must-win match. If we can't beat Philadelphia at home - then we have an insurmountable problem.

The forecast is a metaphor:
Monday 15° and sunny
Tuesday 13° and sunny
Wednesday 16° and sunny
Thursday 7° and rain
Friday 15° and sunny
Saturday 13° and sunny

It's like there is a big black cloud just hanging on top of Toronto FC!

Rain is no problem, we will have the chance to were our new rain Ponco's for the opener.

:flare::drum::scarf::drum::flare:

twistedchinaman
04-12-2010, 12:01 AM

Yeah, don't even go there...

I agree with the 1-1 prediction.

nfitz
04-12-2010, 12:14 AM
Hmm 7 pm. I had 8 pm in my Outlook calendar ...

Did this get shifted?

Super
04-12-2010, 12:25 AM
I don't have any problems with a rainy game, but I do have issues with a half-empty BMO - so fingers crossed it'll be dry Thursday evening.

maninb
04-12-2010, 09:17 AM
I'll keep it simple...Garcia starts we LOSE 2-0....if he's benched we win 1-0....

Pachuco
04-12-2010, 09:34 AM
Philadelphia lost to Seattle in Seattle's home opener in the rain. Let's pray for rain.

TFC USA
04-12-2010, 09:47 AM
Yeah but they lost in the rain on shitty fake turf.

Now they're playing in the rain on real grass. :D :D

J .
04-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Toronto FC will win this game. The home support is great and I expect a lot from the lads at home. I was pissed JDG was not ready for game day on Saturday and it showed early in the second half. He and DeRo have to be the top players on the pitch for us to win, the end.

nfitz
04-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Thursday 7° and rainHmm, and 12-hours later it says 19° and 30% chance of showers. (i.e. 70% chance of not a drop all day!)

Looks absolutely beautiful ... not sure the point of even looking at the forecast so far ahead ... it doesn't seem to have much meaning.

I'll certainly be there no matter what, but it's nice to not scare away the softcore fans. Particularily when there is so many tickets unsold. I was just checking Ticketmaster and there is a lot of available. Even 4 together in 115.

Note to Paul. Not sure premium pricing and a weeknight game is a great mix.

jloome
04-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Unless we sign some offense and a new backline leader in the next week, we lose this.

We may have a slight (very slight) edge in overall talent (again, highly arguable) but in both Philly's games they've shown much more fight and heart.

Fortunately, they're not disciplined yet either, so they can suffer the same breakdown in team shape we had in the second half.

Maybe a toss up. But they're riding a wave of determination and success after that win. Who's gonna fire our guys up if they don't know it's needed already?

trane
04-12-2010, 01:37 PM
They are going to come into our stadium and humiliate us. ANother first year team will show how shit we are.

I almost hope it happens so that the charade is stoped. Enough is enough.

Garzilla
04-12-2010, 02:00 PM
I need to know who is in section 105! just moved there to be infront of the opposing team's supporters, we need to be ready for these guys so whats the plan boys? I cant do it all myself!!!!

ecospice
04-12-2010, 02:01 PM
They are going to come into our stadium and humiliate us. ANother first year team will show how shit we are.

I almost hope it happens so that the charade is stoped. Enough is enough.

No way. The losing streak stops at 2 games at BMO this Thursday night.

TFC forever!!! Garcia for never...

:scarf:

trane
04-12-2010, 02:02 PM
^ And then what we get Dickov as DP??? What is the point?

Whoop
04-12-2010, 02:03 PM
http://brandtjen.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/angry_mob_by_acwraith.jpg

Whoop
04-12-2010, 02:04 PM
7Z5kEqRFPwo

trane
04-12-2010, 02:05 PM
^ I am the one with the scythe.

tfc2007
04-12-2010, 02:06 PM

i'd rather it pour with no garcia.

rocktml
04-12-2010, 02:07 PM
I'm bringing my gf's brother out for the first time. I want lots of noise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whoop
04-12-2010, 02:08 PM
I think the Kaiser Chiefs are apropos.

We are the angry mob
We read the papers everyday day
We like who like
We hate who we hate
But we're also easily swayed

Whoop
04-12-2010, 02:10 PM
hamKl-su8PE

trane
04-12-2010, 02:11 PM
I think the Kaiser Chiefs are apropos.

We are the angry mob
We read the papers everyday day
We like who like
We hate who we hate
But we're also easily swayed

It took three years for this mob to be swayed that this is shit organization.

brad
04-12-2010, 02:18 PM
I need to know who is in section 105! just moved there to be infront of the opposing team's supporters, we need to be ready for these guys so whats the plan boys? I cant do it all myself!!!!

Anyone know how many Philly supporters are coming up?

ag futbol
04-12-2010, 02:25 PM
Ok, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Chad Barrett is the x-factor for Thursday. TFC have been about as threatening as a basket of kittens up top. His work rate might be exactly what the doctor ordered even if there's no end product.

I say this as someone who is about the most critical person of Barrett ever.

Maybe i just want to pull at strings to say we have some hope on Thursday. If Garcia starts that might just evaporate.

mastermixer
04-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Anyone know how many Philly supporters are coming up?

Just got an email that said Union supporters have not taken their allocation of tickets so they've made them available to buy. So I Guess not many are coming.

keem-o-sabi
04-12-2010, 02:41 PM
well i can't wait to go. Got my tix from work today :)

Pachuco
04-12-2010, 02:44 PM
Just got an email that said Union supporters have not taken their allocation of tickets so they've made them available to buy. So I Guess not many are coming.

I found that statement in the email really funny. I'm sure they were planning on putting Philadelphia Supporters in our very own South End, where there are plenty of tickets available on ticketmaster. This is simply their way of making an excuse for the # of tickets available.

mastermixer
04-12-2010, 02:45 PM
I found that statement in the email really funny. I'm sure they were planning on putting Philadelphia Supporters in our very own South End, where there are plenty of tickets available on ticketmaster. This is simply their way of making an excuse for the # of tickets available.
Completely agree. Way to spin MLSE. :facepalm:

Whoop
04-12-2010, 02:49 PM
I get the impression the game won't be sold out.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-12-2010, 03:01 PM
im sure itll be full or close to it.
Still retarded to make the opening game on a thursday night at 7pm

fetajr
04-12-2010, 03:05 PM
3-3-1-3 all the way.. I want offence..I know Preki is a tight ass but if we don't go out to win the game we're fucked.

--------------------------------Frei------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------D1-------------------D2--------------------D3---------------
------Saric/Cronin-------------Saric/Cronin----------------LeBrocca-----
-----------V--------------------------------------------------V---------
------------------------------De Guzman--------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------Barrett-------------White---------------DeRosario--------

Pachuco
04-12-2010, 03:07 PM
im sure itll be full or close to it.
Still retarded to make the opening game on a thursday night at 7pm

Kinda like the Jays making their home opener on a monday night? The Jays will get more people out to the game on Monday then TFC will on Thursday. And if the game isn't sold out, it's not because of the size of the stadium.

trane
04-12-2010, 03:12 PM
3-3-1-3 all the way.. I want offence..I know Preki is a tight ass but if we don't go out to win the game we're fucked.

--------------------------------Frei------------------------------------
-----------D1-------------------D2--------------------D3---------------
------Saric/Cronin-------------Saric/Cronin----------------LeBrocca-----
-----------V--------------------------------------------------V---------
------------------------------De Guzman--------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------Barrett-------------White---------------DeRosario--------

Yes, lets get humiliated on our own pitch. Good plan.

DangerRed
04-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Chad Barrett in video clip on TFC's web site:

"We're going to open up our scoring and we're going to get a win."

Whooooooop there it is!

trane
04-12-2010, 03:35 PM
When he said we, does he mean him?

DangerRed
04-12-2010, 03:37 PM
^Don't care who scores. Long as we win. That said, Chad did promise at least 10 goals earlier (video of that prediction still available on TFC's site).

Hope these turn out better than Jimmy B's guarantee of a playoff spot last season.

trane
04-12-2010, 03:40 PM
^ I appreciate the sentiment, but this guys need to stop talking and start delivering game in and game out. All of them.

sidvan
04-12-2010, 04:17 PM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/04/tfc-launches-matchday-programme

line up now to give your money to ML$E

Toronto FC is launching a Matchday Programme for the 2010 season. The first edition of the new programme will be available at the home opener against Philadelphia Union on Thursday (kick off 7:00 p.m.).

The Matchday Programme has 64 pages and will cost $5. Only a limited number of programmes will be produced so make sure you arrive early and don’t miss out!

craigtfc
04-12-2010, 04:27 PM
anyone going to the Brazen Head before kick off?

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-12-2010, 05:33 PM

Toronto FC is launching a Matchday Programme for the 2010 season. The first edition of the new programme will be available at the home opener against Philadelphia Union on Thursday (kick off 7:00 p.m.).

The Matchday Programme has 64 pages and will cost $5. Only a limited number of programmes will be produced so make sure you arrive early and don’t miss out!

I don't think $5 is too unreasonable, I know people have been complaining about the lack of match day programs in the past.

denime
04-12-2010, 05:36 PM
^ And then what we get Dickov as DP??? What is the point?

He is not coming as DP,more as supersub.

denime
04-12-2010, 05:38 PM

Preki's system is 4-4-2,your 3-3-1-3 would just give Philly a nice chance to take us apart.

KiwiRedsFan
04-12-2010, 06:29 PM
you sir are a breath of fresh air, thanx, much needed...... however I am now going back to my

:deadhorse::banghead:

haha, certainly not a sir last time I checked! http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

Hope to hear lots of singing through my tv people.

Auzzy
04-12-2010, 09:22 PM

Many people have been asking for this. It was discussed on the boards before, including the cost. I believe mlsintoronto even asked for feedback. No need to spend your money on that if you don't want to.

Kilgore Trout
04-12-2010, 09:36 PM
I was insanely mad at the team and everyone on it on Saturday, but I've gotten to be a little more optimistic since then. We just need to get more organized and not fall apart when faced with some adversity, and get Garcia off the pitch. I know it's easier said than done, but we looked decent in that first half on Saturday, and if we can manage to hold that composure for a full match, then this season might not be as bad as a lot of people here are fearing.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-13-2010, 03:45 AM
Looks like the weather wont be that bad after all!

nfitz
04-13-2010, 08:09 AM
Environment Canada is now calling for a high on Thursday of 22°; though it would surely be a bit cooler by the lake.

The Weather Network's hourly forecast calls for cloudy and sunny breaks and 17° at 7 pm; changing to isolated showers at 8 pm.

For an April night game, it really can't get any better! If only the forecast holds up!

koryo
04-13-2010, 08:11 AM
I hope it rains. We play better in the rain :D

fetajr
04-13-2010, 08:51 AM
Yes, lets get humiliated on our own pitch. Good plan.

yeah ..and the "lets try not to lose" approach has worked well for us in the past 2 games too.

denime
04-13-2010, 08:58 AM
yeah ..and the "lets try not to lose" approach has worked well for us in the past 2 games too.:picard:

I don't know what games you were watching,but one is for sure TFC did not play not to loose with 10 players defending like in some games last year.

We were leading after 1st half and you probably missed that because of to many:stogey: before the game.

Preki is signing players that can fit in his system 4-4-2,and that the one we will play on Thursday too.

trane
04-13-2010, 10:37 AM
yeah ..and the "lets try not to lose" approach has worked well for us in the past 2 games too.

Defensive football is winning football. Like it or not those are the facts. Sure Barca can attack and win. I am not sure if you have noticed but we are not Barca, a team with the lack of offensive tallent, like lets say TFC, if it wants to win MUST defend. THAT IS HOW YOU WIN. You do not win football by scoring lots of goals, you win my scoring more goals then the other side, that can mean 1-0, or 5-4. However, as we have a hard time scoring 2 goals, an open game more likely then not would mean a LOSS.

So Preki is not trying to play letes not lose, he is trying to bring in a game that could have us winnig. I was excited about it. what I am not excited about that, despite him being hired early, I thought early enought for the team to hit the pitch running, we have not. he has guted the team without bringin in replacemntes, he plays a CB who is not fit to play on a CSL team, and he seems to be married to a system that he does not have the players for. That I am not crazy about.

As for you system, I am not against playing an offensive system AC Milan is playing a simliar system 4 2-1-3. HOWEVER, their strikers are Ronaldinho, Pato and Borriello, and their CBs are Nesta and Thiago Silva. We have Garcia at CB, we have OBW (unproven) and Barrett as strikers. We are not going to dominate anyoen offesively and we will not shut down any body. the only thing that we do have is DMs, but we would need 3 above average backs, so far we do not have them. By the way even AC Milan when they do not have Ronalndho , Pato and Borreillo upfornt and Nesta and Thigao Silva at the back are very vulnerabel palying in the similar system. Just imagine TFC with Garcia.

Pachuco
04-13-2010, 11:00 AM
Defensive football is winning football. Like it or not those are the facts. Sure Barca can attack and win. I am not sure if you have noticed but we are not Barca, a team with the lack of offensive tallent, like lets say TFC, if it wants to win MUST defend. THAT IS HOW YOU WIN. You do not win football by scoring lots of goals, you win my scoring more goals then the other side, that can mean 1-0, or 5-4. However, as we have a hard time scoring 2 goals, an open game more likely then not would mean a LOSS.

So Preki is not trying to play letes not lose, he is trying to bring in a game that could have us winnig. I was excited about it. what I am not excited about that, despite him being hired early, I thought early enought for the team to hit the pitch running, we have not. he has guted the team without bringin in replacemntes, he plays a CB who is not fit to play on a CSL team, and he seems to be married to a system that he does not have the players for. That I am not crazy about.

As for you system, I am not against playing an offensive system AC Milan is playing a simliar system 4 2-1-3. HOWEVER, their strikers are Ronaldinho, Pato and Borriello, and their CBs are Nesta and Thiago Silva. We have Garcia at CB, we have OBW (unproven) and Barrett as strikers. We are not going to dominate anyoen offesively and we will not shut down any body. the only thing that we do have is DMs, but we would need 3 above average backs, so far we do not have them. By the way even AC Milan when they do not have Ronalndho , Pato and Borreillo upfornt and Nesta and Thigao Silva at the back are very vulnerabel palying in the similar system. Just imagine TFC with Garcia.

I appreciate what you are saying. But your comparison between TFC and AC Milan really isn't valid. TFC isn't playing against AC Milan, they are playing against DC United. You don't need Pato, Ronaldinho at TFC to score goals against teams in the MLS. A much better comparison would be if you took an attacking team in the MLS and the players they use to play the system. For example, LA Galaxy.

trane
04-13-2010, 11:03 AM
^ Offcourse we are not playing against the same competition. BUT in the CL Milan has three proven strikers/AMs to play the system, we do not have three proven MLS strikers/AMs to think we can dominate people offensively. We have ONE proven MLS offensive player, De Ro.

Pachuco
04-13-2010, 11:15 AM
^ Offcourse we are not playing against the same competition. BUT in the CL Milan has three proven strikers/AMs to play the system, we do not have three proven MLS strikers/AMs to think we can dominate people offensively. We have ONE proven MLS offensive player, De Ro.

What did you not get about what I was saying? I don't disagree with you that we can't play offensive football with the squad we have. However, going into what AC Milan does and doesn't do means nothing. Different league, different caliber of players, different caliber of coaches. Now, what team in the MLS plays a defensive minded style? I honestly don't know. BTW - playing a defensive minded style when you have Garcia is not the right thing to do either is it? If this team is going to win it's going to be about ball possession. There's no way we can sit back as a team and defend because at some point we'll break apart with the quality of defenders we have.

trane
04-13-2010, 11:18 AM
^ every team plays in leagues/competitions with similar quality, therefore comparisons do illustrate issues. If you have quality offensive players in relation to your league, you can play an offensinve brand of football, like Barca, but if not you are usualy better off defending.

Pachuco
04-13-2010, 12:08 PM
^ every team plays in leagues/competitions with similar quality, therefore comparisons do illustrate issues. If you have quality offensive players in relation to your league, you can play an offensinve brand of football, like Barca, but if not you are usualy better off defending.

Thursday night Toronto FC plays at home against an expansion team who has as much offense as we do and probably as weak a defense as we do (if Garcia doesn't start). Our midfield I would argue is better then theirs. So help me understand why TFC should sit back and defend against such a team?

Your strategy may be fine against some opponents, particularly when you are away from home. In the MLS, at home, there is no way we should commit suicide by sitting back and allowing a team to attack our pathetic defense.

denime
04-13-2010, 12:10 PM
If this team is going to win it's going to be about ball possession. There's no way we can sit back as a team and defend because at some point we'll break apart with the quality of defenders we have.

I think that is exactly what Preki is doing,remember after first game in his interview he said we had to many long passes,he is possession soccer coach.

We did not sit back in our first 2 games,and I don't think he is planing to that aether.

He wants to build up the game from defense,your defenders must be able to control the ball possession not just kick and run style defenders.
If you have that implemented in your system than you can control midfield much easier since your midfielders will get balls they on the ground and be able to keep the possession.

The fact is Garcia lost his confidence and mistakes he is making are basic mistakes that you can expect from 14 years old player,that affects other players in defense since they know there is a week link in their line and that's why some of them are being caught out of position.

Nothing wrong with 4-4-2 but unfortunately we played last two games 3-pylon-4-2.

nfitz
04-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Defensive football is winning football.True enough. However all 4 goals that were scored last on Saturday being a direct defensive failure (one by Garcia, two by Hščanovičs and one by Joseph).

With a decent defender in the bigger European leagues costing more than our entire salary cap, we're never going to achieve the kind of defence that is seen there. So if we just rely on defence, I think we are going to loose a lot of games.

trane
04-13-2010, 12:30 PM
Thursday night Toronto FC plays at home against an expansion team who has as much offense as we do and probably as weak a defense as we do (if Garcia doesn't start). Our midfield I would argue is better then theirs. So help me understand why TFC should sit back and defend against such a team?

Your strategy may be fine against some opponents, particularly when you are away from home. In the MLS, at home, there is no way we should commit suicide by sitting back and allowing a team to attack our pathetic defense.

Our Mids are our strengh, but they are not attaking mids.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-13-2010, 12:41 PM
theyre box to box mids

RoyalMidfielder
04-13-2010, 12:54 PM
If we (or Garcia) let that 17 year old kid from Philly score on us, I'm ripping up my season tickets

DichioTFC
04-13-2010, 12:59 PM
Nothing wrong with 4-4-2 but unfortunately we played last two games 3-pylon-4-2.
:lol:

jloome
04-13-2010, 01:55 PM

In fact, attacking teams win in MLS because the majority of teams don't have the offensive flair to press. So the team that is two-way solid wins, not the one that defends first and foremost.

There are multiple teams that are relatively uncompetitive in MLS but have strong defences. There are no teams that are competitive but have weak offences (except, lately, Seattle, but that's likely a blip, not the norm.)

GlenM
04-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Preki's system is 4-4-2,your 3-3-1-3 would just give Philly a nice chance to take us apart.

It seems anyone can pick up apart right now.

Doesn't mean a hill of beans...

Were totally disorganized, to many changes...

I love this team...

But it's reality..I admit it, we need a win seriously or were in trouble.

GlenM

trane
04-13-2010, 02:56 PM
In fact, attacking teams win in MLS because the majority of teams don't have the offensive flair to press. So the team that is two-way solid wins, not the one that defends first and foremost.

There are multiple teams that are relatively uncompetitive in MLS but have strong defences. There are no teams that are competitive but have weak offences (except, lately, Seattle, but that's likely a blip, not the norm.)

I understand were you are comming from, but the MLS cannot be the one league in which you cannot win defence first. We do not play a different game here, it is football (althought it does not look like it at times). A trully solid defensive team, and I am sorry there is not realy solid defensive team in the MLS, would win. Clearly each team would need a couple of players of offensive skills and creativity. I hope that we would look beyond the MLS for inspiration.

J .
04-13-2010, 03:27 PM
The first half of the NER game was the best battling display of football Ive ever seen from Toronto FC. The second half was the second worst Ive ever seen (NYRB the worst).

If we play like the first half, we win 2-1.

If we play like the second half, I see us losing our home opener 10-0.

J .
04-13-2010, 03:30 PM
True enough. However all 4 goals that were scored last on Saturday being a direct defensive failure (one by Garcia, two by Hščanovičs and one by Joseph).

With a decent defender in the bigger European leagues costing more than our entire salary cap, we're never going to achieve the kind of defence that is seen there. So if we just rely on defence, I think we are going to loose a lot of games.

I would say one was Garcia, one was Gargan, one was the Latvian Guy, the other was Joseph.

Gargan failed to have position to defend the cross. Our team is going to give up a lot of crosses, therefore the three defenders which are defending the cross need to have better body position.

The Latvian guy appeared to be a touch slow for the wide pace of MLS in the second half, hopefully over the next 10 games he will round into form.

:facepalm:

Mikey
04-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Union fans are sounding qiuetly confident, they figure if they can ride the storm for the first half TFC will fall to pieces before the game ends.

Classic comment:

"Strategy for TFC game: route the ball through Nick Garcia at every chance possible."

:picard:

rocker
04-13-2010, 04:24 PM
The first half of the NER game was the best battling display of football Ive ever seen from Toronto FC. The second half was the second worst Ive ever seen (NYRB the worst).

If we play like the first half, we win 2-1.

If we play like the second half, I see us losing our home opener 10-0.

totally true. At half time me and my dad were smiling.. 1-0 up. aggressive, battling approach -- on the road of all places! I'd never seen a TFC team play that well on the road ever. Then it just fell apart. :(

It's like that game NE played last year at RSL -- they lost 6-0! All six goals came after the half. Nicol must have shat himself. But he picked the team up and they went on to make the playoffs.

If they play at home this season the way they did in the first half, they'll capture enough home points to make the road relatively meaningless.

tfcleeds
04-13-2010, 06:12 PM
Union fans are sounding qiuetly confident, they figure if they can ride the storm for the first half TFC will fall to pieces before the game ends.

Classic comment:

"Strategy for TFC game: route the ball through Nick Garcia at every chance possible."

So I guess if Preki does the sensible thing and doesn't start him, they'll have to go back to the drawing board!

canadian_bhoy
04-13-2010, 06:21 PM
I like it.

I'm not a program guy so I probably won't buy it, but $5 for a well produced (hopefully it will be) is a good price.

At Celtic park it used to be a pound (not sure what it is now). There's no way TFC could do it for $2 so 5 is the next logical price.

This is way better than the leaf programs that I think are $20.

BTW - anyone know who's doing the "View from the stands"?? I'm assuming they've got Rycroft doing it.

deeznutz
04-13-2010, 07:10 PM
I like it.

I'm not a program guy so I probably won't buy it, but $5 for a well produced (hopefully it will be) is a good price.

At Celtic park it used to be a pound (not sure what it is now). There's no way TFC could do it for $2 so 5 is the next logical price.

This is way better than the leaf programs that I think are $20.

BTW - anyone know who's doing the "View from the stands"?? I'm assuming they've got Rycroft doing it.

LOL $20 for a laff program! WOW each and anyway possible they give it to the fans! ahahahah.....

Yeah I might get one to for $5bucks that sounds like a good price

menefreghista
04-13-2010, 07:22 PM
There is no way the Leafs program is $20.

I've been looking online and can't find prices for them, but in 05/06 it was $5. I doubt the price has quadrupled in 4 years.

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/logos/1/28/full/uo6trqtemclkz6wuygl7.gif

deeznutz
04-13-2010, 07:45 PM
There is no way the Leafs program is $20.

I've been looking online and can't find prices for them, but in 05/06 it was $5. I doubt the price has quadrupled in 4 years.

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/logos/1/28/full/uo6trqtemclkz6wuygl7.gif

Well someone had to pay McCabes contract!......What the Borg say and do the sheep follow.......

Crazy Canuck
04-13-2010, 07:47 PM

Mo is going to step down and hand over his position to Garcia!

ANTZ
04-13-2010, 08:12 PM
my starting line up:

..............................Frei................ ..................
........Usanov...AttaKora....Cann.........Hscanovi cs..
........Saric................DeGuZ.............LaB rocca....
.......................Dero....................... ................
...........Barrett....................White....... .............

Put Dero as supporting strikers hes the only one with a nose for the net he will shoot the ball from anywhere, can`t score goals without shots at the target!

deacon
04-13-2010, 08:24 PM
agree alot with Antz, Preki will play his boys. back four, Nana and 3 new signings.Up front laBrocca and dero, midfield Gargan,Sanyang,Saric and deGuz.

DichioTFC
04-13-2010, 09:07 PM
my starting line up:

..............................Frei................ ..................
........Usanov...AttaKora....Cann.........Hscanovi cs..
........Saric................DeGuZ.............LaB rocca....
............................Dero.................. .................
...........Barrett....................White....... .............

Put Dero as supporting strikers hes the only one with a nose for the net he will shoot the ball from anywhere, can`t score goals without shots at the target!

Really liking that lineup. Wouldn't mind Nane Joseph making a second half appearance, he has the height to claim / intercept long passes (good for ball control in the 75' onwards)

Daveisonfire
04-13-2010, 09:25 PM
I think LaBrocca will step up and be very influential on Thurs

DichioTFC
04-13-2010, 09:25 PM

Beside De Guz, feeding / overlapping DeRo, he has a chance to make a solid impact.

Blizzard
04-13-2010, 09:32 PM

I was encouraged by what I saw of him in New England ... in the first half anyway.

Saric, Dero, Labrocca and JDG in the MF is potentially a very potent MF IMO.

DichioTFC
04-13-2010, 09:34 PM
... wait wait... where's Sam Cronin????
:O

mastermixer
04-13-2010, 09:38 PM
I was encouraged by what I saw of him in New England ... in the first half anyway.

Saric, Dero, Labrocca and JDG in the MF is potentially a very potent MF IMO.

Sub Cronin for Saric and I agree with you.

DichioTFC
04-13-2010, 09:44 PM
Sub Cronin for Saric and I agree with you.

Saric has the experience advantage over Cronin, and played all 90 against NE. I'm not happy with it, but I see Preki going with Saric over Cronin.

jloome
04-14-2010, 12:32 AM
I call Barrett as making a world of difference (he's good at opening up space off the ball) and say we win this one 2-1.

twistedchinaman
04-14-2010, 02:04 AM
And as much as Le Toux was made to look like the next (insert some uber star here), don't let him run amok.

This means Garcia on the bench or in the stands.

GBV
04-14-2010, 05:38 AM
Betting line:
Toronto FC +100
Philadelphia Union +312
Draw +242

Goal line:
Toronto FC -0.5 +100
Philadelphia Union +0.5 -108

Over/under:
2 and 2.5 over -117

koryo
04-14-2010, 08:09 AM
Until this team proves it can play for 90 minutes instead of 45, don't get your hopes up for a result.

maninb
04-14-2010, 08:19 AM
If anybody notices a large disturbance in Sec 108 just after kickoff that's me and my mates launching hand grenades onto the pitch after Garcia has been announced as a STARTER!!!! If the turtle-that-is-Garcia is nailed to the bench I feel a victory coming on!!!! Come on you Reds!!!

J .
04-14-2010, 08:46 AM
Im fucking stoked about the match tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What stinks? PU!

habstfc
04-14-2010, 10:44 AM
I have a single ticket for Philly game tomorrow night. section 105 row 26, very close to 106. Don't want it to go to waste. Willing to sell for $20, can meet before game to exchage money for ticket.

Text me at 519-802-6070 if interested.

Don Julio
04-14-2010, 11:22 AM
If the programme has updated roster with player #s then it's well worth the $5. I'm really looking forward to seeing these guys in person, you really don't get a feel for players on TV the same.

nater_1386
04-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Is Cann available for selection? I'd love to see what he can do at centre back.

Super
04-14-2010, 12:07 PM
I'm loving the weather forecast, too. Now they're saying dry, and 22c. Few days ago they were predicting showers and 7c. What a difference a few days make in the world of meteorology, haha.

Gazza
04-14-2010, 12:12 PM
Is Cann available for selection? I'd love to see what he can do at centre back.

Are you a Union supporter?

nater_1386
04-14-2010, 12:21 PM
No I'm not.
You don't think he'll play well?

Gazza
04-14-2010, 12:24 PM
No I'm not.
You don't think he'll play well?

He has good size but doesn't use it. He's slow, weak and isn't a very good positional player. He's barely a USL-caliber player.

But i really wish him luck:)

nater_1386
04-14-2010, 12:33 PM
he seemed to really find his groove in Vancouver.. not that far removed

bangersandmash
04-14-2010, 12:34 PM
He has good size but doesn't use it. He's slow, weak and isn't a very good positional player. He's barely a USL-caliber player.

This would be the same USL that had two clubs in the CONCACAF Champions league semi finals a while back? Or the USL that still manages to show quality in the US Open Cup on an annual basis? I think history shows that a full strength USL side is more than a match for a full strength MLS side. And Cann has only played for top tier USL sides.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. If Cann wants to, he'll be fine here.

Gazza
04-14-2010, 12:46 PM
This would be the same USL that had two clubs in the CONCACAF Champions league semi finals a while back? Or the USL that still manages to show quality in the US Open Cup on an annual basis? I think history shows that a full strength USL side is more than a match for a full strength MLS side. And Cann has only played for top tier USL sides.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. If Cann wants to, he'll be fine here.

The same USL that had the Toronto Lynx, yes, that USL. But i'm not going to argue about the quality of the league, we could be here all day.

Just watch for yourself, i'm sure you will not be impressed by Cann. I know the national team players on TFC were groaning in private when they heard he was a trialist.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-14-2010, 12:58 PM
Are you a Union supporter?

Id like to see it too and im far from a union supporter.

Chevy
04-14-2010, 01:03 PM
Hmm 7 pm. I had 8 pm in my Outlook calendar ...

Did this get shifted?

Me too. I guess it was changed. ??

Gazza
04-14-2010, 01:04 PM
Me too. I guess it was changed. ??

I hope this doesn't affect the turn-out.

And does anyone know if they've improved the parking? Or should i get there extra early?

yankiboy
04-14-2010, 01:06 PM
Hey. Long time no see. Big ups to RPB and all the TFC supporters.

Our favorite Puerto Rico Islanders fan an TO resident, BoriQa posted this article one an Islanders supporters forum.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/04/13/13575566.html

“I am very happy to see him,” said Arrieta. “We will be good friends before and after the game. But, during the game, there is no friendship. It’s a war. And I hope we win it.”

Arrieta is one very classy guy because I knew that a few of us laughed when we read that. Once last season, in the middle of a match, when they were playing for Puerto Rico Gargan lost his mind and physically attacked Arrieta (a la the Impact and Vancouver debacles of last year). Gargan had to be phsyically restrained by other PRI teamates. he took exception to Arrieta's critique about what Cristian considered to be poor defensive coverage. Heck, it might have been the TO leg of the CCL play-in series. I don't recall the exact game.

Arrieta almost always says the 'right" things and takes the "high road". I was told by someone that for the sake of the team they quickly buried the hatchet but I seriously doubt they they are going to be sharing a bite to eat together at Vagobondo either before or after the match...

If Gargan plays and something jumps off between the two, I won't be surprised in the least. I hope that it doesn't. But if it does, even if it just harsh words and some shoves between the two whilst they are trying to "protect" their respective new teamates, it won't be any sort of shock.

Chevy
04-14-2010, 01:06 PM
Park at Ontario Place - always lots of room there for the spring matches.

Pachuco
04-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Hey. Long time no see. Big ups to RPB and all the TFC supporters.

Our favorite Puerto Rico Islanders fan an TO resident, BoriQa posted this article one an Islanders supporters forum.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/04/13/13575566.html

“I am very happy to see him,” said Arrieta. “We will be good friends before and after the game. But, during the game, there is no friendship. It’s a war. And I hope we win it.”

Arrieta is one very classy guy because I knew that a few of us laughed when we read that. Once last season, in the middle of a match, when they were playing for Puerto Rico Gargan lost his mind and physically attacked Arrieta (a la the Impact and Vancouver debacles of last year). Gargan had to be phsyically restrained by other PRI teamates. he took exception to Arrieta's critique about what Cristian considered to be poor defensive coverage. Heck, it might have been the TO leg of the CCL play-in series. I don't recall the exact game.

Arrieta almost always says the 'right" things and takes the "high road". I was told by someone that for the sake of the team they quickly buried the hatchet but I seriously doubt they they are going to be sharing a bite to eat together at Vagobondo either before or after the match...

If Gargan plays and something jumps off between the two, I won't be surprised in the least. I hope that it doesn't. But if it does, even if it just harsh words and some shoves between the two whilst they are trying to "protect" their respective new teamates, it won't be any sort of shock.

Interesting. Thanks for posting. Hey Yankiboy I have a couple of questions for you.

What's your opinion on Gargan?
How's Velez doing?

Technorgasm
04-14-2010, 02:35 PM
HAve we ever won a home opener.. . . I dont think so.

but for some reason, I think we will come out of this match with 3 points! (OG, PK, DERO)

morgank1986
04-14-2010, 02:45 PM
HAve we ever won a home opener.. . . I dont think so.

but for some reason, I think we will come out of this match with 3 points! (OG, PK, DERO)

Didn't we beat RSL in 2008

yankiboy
04-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Interesting. Thanks for posting. Hey Yankiboy I have a couple of questions for you.

Gargan is a real perplexing player. I can't give you a quick answer to such a puzzling question as Gargan. Seriously.
I will have to try and get back to you on him either later tonight or tomorrow before the match
(sorry but I have to run to pick up my daughter from school right now).

How's Velez doing?
Marco is a survivor. He's doing well. He has taken a lot of lessons from his time with TFC. He only has wonderful things to say about your beautiful city and the fans. He has moved on. he is very happy to have been able to return to Islanders and he feels that he has "unfinished" business to handle with the club.

My family and I are really looking forward to spending time with him when Islanders come to town next week to play Crystal Palace Baltimore. Whenever he heads this way, he always makes some time to spend with us which is really, really cool. We freaking love the guy.

billyfly
04-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Is there a pre-game ceremony honouring Jimmy B cuz his number and jersey are on the new "Wall of Honour" on the west side stands of BMO.

Anyone know?

drewski
04-14-2010, 04:17 PM
Cronin @ RB?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/04/14/sp-tfc-cronin.html

Ossington Mental Youth
04-14-2010, 04:28 PM
blech, why not our new guy at right back? unless hes playing CB
ah whatevs, im a little worried Preki might spend too much time tinkering like Juan Carlos Osario did

Nuvinho
04-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Cronin is great, he'll play anywhere the coach tells him to. Love that guy!!

Nuvinho
04-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Didn't we beat RSL in 2008

was that the Laurent Robert free kick goal?

Auzzy
04-14-2010, 05:15 PM
TFC vs Philly Game Guide: http://www.theaircanadacentre.com/assets/default/041510TorPhi.pdf

Everyone, learn those TFC players by heart, there's gonna be a test tomorrow! (Hope they didn't make any mistakes though...)

Oh, and can someone who lives in Scarborough print 9 copies and drop them off at Timmy's house? ;)

drewski
04-14-2010, 05:47 PM
TFC vs Philly Game Guide: http://www.theaircanadacentre.com/assets/default/041510TorPhi.pdf

Everyone, learn those TFC players by heart, there's gonna be a test tomorrow! (Hope they didn't make any mistakes though...)

Oh, and can someone who lives in Scarborough print 9 copies and drop them off at Timmy's house? ;)

oh crap, you mean they won't have name cards?!

ArmenJBX
04-14-2010, 05:51 PM
Apparently Jimmy Brennan is still on our roster.

TFC_Junky
04-14-2010, 06:04 PM
Cronin is great, he'll play anywhere the coach tells him to. Love that guy!!

seriously?! we really need to stop playing guys out of position, he is a good player with a good sense of the game but really?! Cronin in the back, let's get serious...

Edit: I'm drunk on a beach on Costa Rica at the moment, so you may want to ignore me..

playing that position in college may give him some experience but really, keep Cronin in the mid or as a sub and you'd get better results.

Pachuco
04-14-2010, 06:46 PM
I don't understand why it is that we are taking a midfielder that was being groomed to play as the defensive midfielder when Robbo left and instead Preki chooses to let him rott on the bench or play him out of position. I understand it even less because we have just as many people competing for midfield positions then we do competing for defensive positions. So what does that tell me? After all these USL caliber players Preki and Mo have acquired we still don't have a natural RB they feel comfortable with.

WTF do we have all these defenders on the roster for if we can't find Cronin a spot in the midfield?

WTF has Saric done in two games that gives him the edge over Cronin?

Havind said all that, I think Cronin is a solid player wherever you put him and I'm comfortable with him playing at RB. What I'm not comfortable with is the fact this position is still in limbo. Wait until Hscanovic has another bad game, we don't even have another lefty to play back there.

jloome
04-14-2010, 06:48 PM
I don't understand why it is that we are taking a midfielder that was being groomed to play as the defensive midfielder when Robbo left and instead Preki chooses to let him rott on the bench or play him out of position. I understand it even less because we have just as many people competing for midfield positions then we do competing for defensive positions. So what does that tell me? After all these USL caliber players Preki and Mo have acquired we still don't have a natural RB they feel comfortable with.

WTF do we have all these defenders on the roster for if we can't find Cronin a spot in the midfield?

WTF has Saric done in two games that gives him the edge over Cronin?

Havind said all that, I think Cronin is a solid player wherever you put him and I'm comfortable with him playing at RB. What I'm not comfortable with is the fact this position is still in limbo. Wait until Hscanovic has another bad game, we don't even have another lefty to play back there.

AS a professional, he's just better suited to be a fullback, he's mobile and has some speed but isn't overwhelming he crosses OK, he's a good tackler and decent marker, but he's not strong or imposing.

Says fullback to me.

Pachuco
04-14-2010, 06:59 PM
AS a professional, he's just better suited to be a fullback, he's mobile and has some speed but isn't overwhelming he crosses OK, he's a good tackler and decent marker, but he's not strong or imposing.

Says fullback to me.

I don't disagree with you at all. I always thought he'd make a good fullback as well. What annoys me a little is that I feel Preki's strategy is to go out and find a bunch of hard working guys, no matter how bad they are or what position they play. Now we have alot of guys who play a similar style in similar positions, but if you ask me, we still don't have a RB, a LB, two CBs (we have 1), a right winger and a left winger who are natural starters at their position and who are good enough to take the role by the balls and own it. I have a feeling the first half of the season we'll see changes every game as Preki figures out who should play where.

jloome
04-14-2010, 09:37 PM
I don't disagree with you at all. I always thought he'd make a good fullback as well. What annoys me a little is that I feel Preki's strategy is to go out and find a bunch of hard working guys, no matter how bad they are or what position they play. Now we have alot of guys who play a similar style in similar positions, but if you ask me, we still don't have a RB, a LB, two CBs (we have 1), a right winger and a left winger who are natural starters at their position and who are good enough to take the role by the balls and own it. I have a feeling the first half of the season we'll see changes every game as Preki figures out who should play where.

He kind of half joked about it at practice the other day, telling the scrum that it was like training camp now, with a full roster of players.

We also don't have a striker who can create goals, unless DeRo moves permanently, and even then, OB doesn't strike me as the answer. Can't believe I'm banking on Chad Barrett to finally click:facepalm:

Dirk Diggler
04-14-2010, 09:53 PM
I thought Cronin had tremendous potential at DM or CM but I guess we have to justify JDG's presence somehow. Too bad that it is coming at the expense of Cronin's career.

sidvan
04-15-2010, 04:02 AM
!!!!!!!It's game day!!!!!!!

T.Reis
04-15-2010, 04:09 AM
The entire Cronin thing is funny. He was picked 2nd overall so he could become our holding midfielder in the future but last year he spent most of the year on the wing and now possibly RB. Really takes the point away of having taken him 2nd overall for his distribution abilities. If this was the case then we should have just taken Gonzalez instead.

Brooker
04-15-2010, 05:32 AM
was that the Laurent Robert free kick goal?

http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=509884398351&subj=503321342 (http://www.facebook.com/#%21/video/video.php?v=509884398351&subj=503321342)

here's hoping tonight we get the same 3 points!

drewski
04-15-2010, 07:29 AM
!!!!!!!It's game day!!!!!!!

woot!

ManUtd4ever
04-15-2010, 08:47 AM
Interesting comments from the SOB's...

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1392102

yankiboy
04-15-2010, 09:06 AM

Dan Gargan—that is a tough guy to assess because with Gargan, there isn’t just the assessment of how he plays or how hard he works, there is the “where is his head realy at?” deal.

I haven’t spent a lot very much time talking to him when our paths crossed. It was limited to a greeting and pretty much left it at that. So that makes it harder for me to get a feel for the guy. There is a perception that he is not the most approachable guy. He’s not the sort of guy who will often go on and on chatting with the fans. That is just his way. Nothing wrong with that in and of itself. However, I do think that, and the Arrieta incident were considered more heavily than his play with some Islanders’ fans (an unusually hard lot to please, given our limited resources and club reality). Let’s just say that I don’t know too many who shed tears when it was announced that he got picked up by TFC. There was ambivalence or animosity towards the player.

He did a decent job playing for us. Especially after coming out of retirement amd arriving to the club mid-season. He was a fine USL1 back. He didn’t get terribly exposed in Champions League Matches.

I have been seeing Gargan play since his college days at local Georgtown University in DC. You could argue that he has already “overachieved” given his college playing career. He was an important part of the Hoya squad but the fact that he managed to not only make the Colorado Rapids but also play in so many games during his sting there (especially given the neurotic nature of Fernando Clavijo). He came from a soccer program that was not a national powerhouse, didn’t come with a lot of hype but he grinded out his spot on the team.

He has a very, gritty blue collar, playing style (which is good for a defender). He has a rep for training very hard and when he plays, he gives you the best that he’s got. Those two attributes have taken him soccer-wise further than some imagined he could go.

There is a sort of ‘black cloud” hovering around the guy since his abrupt retirement announcement after he had been picked up by ChivasUSA. The explanation of “personal reasons” added a mysterious twist to the whole deal. Since then, there is this “what the heck is up with Gargan” thing that sort of floats around.

Preki was the head coach of ChivasUSA when Gargan had his cup of coffee there. He probably has a better idea of what was going on with the guy when he retired.

I can tell you from personal experience “working” with Colin Clarke on a Puerto Rican national team during the last WCQ cycle regarding a call up for a Puerto Rican kid that I “discovered” in USL2 that Colin Clarke vets any potential player before he brings them in. He checks out the intangibles that aren’t often visible by watching tape of a player. Things like attitude, work ethic. He uses his contacts and very rarely takes in consideration just one or two guys' assessments about a guy’s intangibles. He’s well connected in the coaching community. That was why it was so bizarre when Gargan melted down like that, going after Arrieta during a Champion’s League match…

maninb
04-15-2010, 09:21 AM
"I know the national team players on TFC were groaning in private when they heard he was a trialist.""

BS!!!! I suppose you were there when they were slagging Cann????

Section 117
04-15-2010, 09:37 AM
I heard a rumor this morning our friend Nick "slower than molasass" Garcia might not even dress for tonight's game.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Godwilling

Pachuco
04-15-2010, 09:44 AM
I heard a rumor this morning our friend Nick "slower than molasass" Garcia might not even dress for tonight's game.

Oh wow, that's really good news if true.

Technorgasm
04-15-2010, 09:57 AM
I shaved my Ball fro JUST for this game. . they better win. .

or I will be forced to say. . "I shaved my balls for this?" hahaha

Technorgasm
04-15-2010, 10:01 AM

"Strategy for TFC game: route the ball through Nick Garcia at every chance possible.

I think a win is possible but I'd be happy with a tie."

Kevvv
04-15-2010, 10:06 AM
"I shaved my balls for this?"

That needs to be on a banner :scarf:

maninb
04-15-2010, 10:26 AM

Oh please God say it's TRUE!!! I'll sacrifice a dozen goats if this comes to be....

BuSaPuNk
04-15-2010, 10:42 AM
If that is true and Garcia doesn't even dress. Our odds of winning the game just went up 100%. Hopefully DeRo shows up tonight and has a big game to show just how happy he is we have grass.

Technorgasm
04-15-2010, 10:53 AM
I have heard very little about Danny's role of leadership in training and preparation for this game.. .

we all know he is a King amoung men, I hope he helps the new faces adjust and motivates them to come out firing. .

best case scenario we pot one. . early

as long as we Celebrate a goal tonight, I will be satisfied

Carts
04-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Oh please God say it's TRUE!!! I'll sacrifice a dozen goats if this comes to be....

Hey man - what have the goats done anything bad to us...???

Carts... :D

boban
04-15-2010, 10:59 AM

I'm reading through a few pages. It's depressing to see after 4 years we are basically thought of as a nothing team - by an expansion team no less!! :sad:.
Way to go MLSE.

Gazza
04-15-2010, 11:01 AM
"I know the national team players on TFC were groaning in private when they heard he was a trialist.""

BS!!!! I suppose you were there when they were slagging Cann????

I'm not going to argue with you, because you'll see for yourself soon enough. I really hope the russian guy is good and Harden is better than we've seen so that Cann never sees the pitch.

I'm hoping for a victory tonight with the two of them playing rock, paper, scissors on the bench together.

Gazza
04-15-2010, 11:02 AM
I'm not going to argue with you, because you'll see for yourself soon enough. I really hope the russian guy is good and Harden is better than we've seen so that Cann never sees the pitch.

I'm hoping for a victory tonight with the two of them playing rock, paper, scissors on the bench together.

By "them" i mean he and Garcia of course.

romburgundy
04-15-2010, 11:06 AM

this is from an unconfirmed source that told me about Jimmy's retirement way before it got out.

I think useless will be wearing the armband tonight.

BuSaPuNk
04-15-2010, 11:07 AM
this is from an unconfirmed source that told me about Jimmy's retirement way before it got out.

If that is the case. Wow. This team is fucking dysfuctional! :facepalm:

romburgundy
04-15-2010, 11:12 AM
I hope they are wrong which they can be as they have been before

menefreghista
04-15-2010, 11:13 AM

That doesn't make any sense. Why announce De Rosario as the captain?

Plus someone else is claiming he won't even dress.

We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Technorgasm
04-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Looking at SPortcenter and the other networks repeating broadcast. .

not ONE mention of TFC yet.. . . GO first games of Hockey Play offs!

Section 117
04-15-2010, 11:32 AM
Dero is the captain he will be wearing the arm band tonight

TFC USA
04-15-2010, 11:34 AM
I don't think we deserve one second on any sports network in the world the way we're playing.

If Garcia is captain.......fuck this team.

Beach_Red
04-15-2010, 11:35 AM
I'm reading through a few pages. It's depressing to see after 4 years we are basically thought of as a nothing team - by an expansion team no less!! :sad:.
Way to go MLSE.

People treat the Leafs and Raptors as expansion teams, too. Maybe that's the plan, to have all their teams be perpetual expansion teams, with the fans just happy to have a team.

Whoop
04-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Can Usanov even play tonight on account of paperwork?

Dave67
04-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Garcia will not be the captain. This is crazy. If he wears the band we can change our name to Titanic FC.

Whoop
04-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Wow... who starts these things?

DeRo was named the captain last I hear. Geez.

Gazza
04-15-2010, 11:43 AM
I'd like to meet these sources. Sounds like they drink more than i do!

Pachuco
04-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Somebody's sources are fucking with him ;)

Dirk Diggler
04-15-2010, 12:22 PM
People treat the Leafs and Raptors as expansion teams, too. Maybe that's the plan, to have all their teams be perpetual expansion teams, with the fans just happy to have a team.

LMAO ... funniest comment in the thread :scarf::scarf::scarf:

Oldtimer
04-15-2010, 12:32 PM

Hard to believe. I imagine Preki would at least want him on the bench.

Section 117
04-15-2010, 01:25 PM
Hard to believe. I imagine Preki would at least want him on the bench.

I know that as that is what I said, but I know that there have been talks about it. As of this morning nothing had been resolved yet

Pachuco
04-15-2010, 01:27 PM
I know that as that is what I said, but I know that there have been talks about it. As of this morning nothing had been resolved yet

what do you mean by nothing had been resolved? What's the issue at hand?

Or are we just talking about whether Preki is going to not dress Garcia?

Ossington Mental Youth
04-15-2010, 01:37 PM
yeah its aload of shit, its passed DeRo is captain

Whoop
04-15-2010, 01:38 PM
Does anyone know if Usanov is available to play tonight?

Section 117
04-15-2010, 01:41 PM
what do you mean by nothing had been resolved? What's the issue at hand?

Or are we just talking about whether Preki is going to not dress Garcia?

If Preki has decided to dress Garcia or not.... I don't know and I have not spokent o my source today I spoke to him last night and that is what he told me.

From my understanding there is next to no chance he is starting and he is potentially a healthly scratch

JonO
04-15-2010, 01:41 PM
when do the game day rosters have to be set by?

drewski
04-15-2010, 01:49 PM
sometime before 7pm :D

JonO
04-15-2010, 01:57 PM
sometime before 7pm :D
That's about the quality of response I've grown to expect :p

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-15-2010, 02:08 PM
whats the official start time??

Super Cereal
04-15-2010, 03:26 PM
I hate GolTV.

Gazza
04-15-2010, 03:29 PM
Does anyone know if Usanov is available to play tonight?

Will somebody answer Whoopee??? lol

Ossington Mental Youth
04-15-2010, 04:03 PM
dunno if his papers have gone through yet, fingers crossed

Shakes McQueen
04-15-2010, 04:16 PM
If Garcia plays, it better be because Gomez is still hurt, and the new guys haven't gotten their paperwork sorted out yet.

- Scott

ricciboy
04-15-2010, 04:22 PM
3-1 TFC Win

Brewer-NL
04-15-2010, 04:30 PM
I hope Bell screws off and starts carrying these games in HD. I was looking forward to seeing the grass in HD, but unfortunately I can't.

ilikemusic
04-15-2010, 04:36 PM
What channel does GolTV (on Rogers) broadcast in HD?

I couldnt find the New England game in HD anywhere.

Isnt it usually channel 500?

Shakes McQueen
04-15-2010, 04:40 PM
What channel does GolTV (on Rogers) broadcast in HD?

I couldnt find the New England game in HD anywhere.

Isnt it usually channel 500?

It was channel 501 last time.

- Scott

TFC USA
04-15-2010, 04:46 PM
I think this is the only time I've been eager to know the starting lineups.

James17930
04-15-2010, 04:51 PM
If Garcia plays, it better be because Gomez is still hurt, and the new guys haven't gotten their paperwork sorted out yet.

- Scott

No -- there can be no ifs.

He should not, must not, can not play, no matter what. Play Harden, Play Usanov, play 3 at the back, just DO NOT EVER PUT HIM ON THE FIELD AGAIN.

:)

Inklink
04-15-2010, 05:01 PM
I hate GolTV.

Agreed. The home opener should never be on a channel like GolTV. That's just killing the chances of casuals tuning in and catching the home opener.

Oh yeah, here's my daily F*** YOU GARCIA.

Cashcleaner
04-15-2010, 05:05 PM
Really surprising to see the game on GolTV as well. I'll have to settle for the radio and Asif's streaming blog, I suppose.

Corpand
04-15-2010, 05:11 PM
Thankfully Garcia will be on the bench today as per Luke Wileman

dantdot
04-15-2010, 05:18 PM
http://twitpic.com/1fuszd

That's an interesting lineup...

manic.street.preacher
04-15-2010, 05:22 PM
live matchday blog is up ... starting line up:

Frei, Usanov, Hscanovics, Cann, Attakora, Saric, Sanyang, Gargan, de Guzman, LaBrocca, De Rosario Thursday April 15, 2010 6:21 T.Boog

Corpand
04-15-2010, 05:24 PM
Thats really really strange. I have a feeling DeRo and Labrocca will link up well though. Similar-minded players.

Serb_Star
04-15-2010, 05:27 PM
I don't know what to think of that line up, seems pretty defensive no?

I'm just glad that there's no Garcia.

Musse
04-15-2010, 05:28 PM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/images/bigsoccer/statusicon/post_old.gif Today, 05:09 PM #80 (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showpost.php?p=20440205&postcount=80) bergbros (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/member.php?u=132181)
BigSoccer Member

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif Re: [Matchday 3] April 15, 2010 - Union @ Toronto FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradd http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/images/bigsoccer/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=20438676#post20438676)
Let's go Philly. Tonight I will be wearing the Philly scarf you guys traded me at the MLS Draft in support. Kick the crap out of the syrup chuggers!

Let me also second this sentiment. I moved to C-Bus from Philly 2 years ago and I am excited to return to Philly in August to see my family and catch the Crew game at the spanking new SSS in Chester. Also, I don't know if you had any experience with some of the TFC supporters but some of them are destructive SOBs with a penchant of setting off flares and smoke bombs and causing petty vandalism. They deserve the chronically crappy team they get.
@import "http://diacache.daylife.com/_static/release-46080/v2/css/daylife/thickbox.css";
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/images/bigsoccer/statusicon/post_old.gif Today, 05:09 PM #80 (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showpost.php?p=20440205&postcount=80) bergbros (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/member.php?u=132181)
BigSoccer Member

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif Re: [Matchday 3] April 15, 2010 - Union @ Toronto FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradd http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/images/bigsoccer/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=20438676#post20438676)
Let's go Philly. Tonight I will be wearing the Philly scarf you guys traded me at the MLS Draft in support. Kick the crap out of the syrup chuggers!

Let me also second this sentiment. I moved to C-Bus from Philly 2 years ago and I am excited to return to Philly in August to see my family and catch the Crew game at the spanking new SSS in Chester. Also, I don't know if you had any experience with some of the TFC supporters but some of them are destructive SOBs with a penchant of setting off flares and smoke bombs and causing petty vandalism. They deserve the chronically crappy team they get.
@import "http://diacache.daylife.com/_static/release-46080/v2/css/daylife/thickbox.css";

Hmm...looks like we deserve the TFC shitstorm occurring right now...according to others

"Let me also second this sentiment. I moved to C-Bus from Philly 2 years ago and I am excited to return to Philly in August to see my family and catch the Crew game at the spanking new SSS in Chester. Also, I don't know if you had any experience with some of the TFC supporters but some of them are destructive SOBs with a penchant of setting off flares and smoke bombs and causing petty vandalism. They deserve the chronically crappy team they get."

source: bigsoccer@import "http://diacache.daylife.com/_static/release-46080/v2/css/daylife/thickbox.css";

Fushida
04-15-2010, 05:28 PM
Interesting... don't see anything coming from that midfield though. Hard to see where the final passes are gonna come from.

Musse
04-15-2010, 05:29 PM
sorry!!! pasted it one too many times

Serb_Star
04-15-2010, 05:32 PM
I'm expecting a 0-0.

dantdot
04-15-2010, 05:33 PM
sorry!!! pasted it one too many times

You can edit posts you know :)

TFCRegina
04-15-2010, 05:40 PM
I don't think this game is going to be on the Match Centre...and if it isn't...I just blew 40 bucks. If they aren't going to give us all the games, I might as well just do the illegal stream over justin.tv

manic.street.preacher
04-15-2010, 05:42 PM
http://atdhe.net/index.html ... <-- i'll be watching one of those feeds

TFCRegina
04-15-2010, 05:46 PM
http://atdhe.net/index.html ... <-- i'll be watching one of those feeds

Same, since it's blacked out on Match Day.

Alixir
04-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Com'on boys... get'r done!!!!

[NBF]
04-15-2010, 05:49 PM
ok has there been any word on the lineup for todays game?

also, has anyone heard of juventus vs inter tomorrow?

Is that becaus eof champions league on tuesday/wednesday?

222Westside
04-15-2010, 05:52 PM
I don't think this game is going to be on the Match Centre...and if it isn't...I just blew 40 bucks. If they aren't going to give us all the games, I might as well just do the illegal stream over justin.tv

You can cancel match center for a full refund. I did. 80% of games blacked out, and all TFC games blacked out.

TFCRegina
04-15-2010, 05:52 PM
Garcia's dressed as a sub tonight.

twistedchinaman
04-15-2010, 05:54 PM

Good start.

James17930
04-15-2010, 05:56 PM
You can cancel match center for a full refund. I did. 80% of games blacked out, and all TFC games blacked out.

But you can watch the archived stream afterwards. Right?

Dirk Diggler

Garcia's dressed like this?

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/SubwaySandwichCostume.jpg

Gazza
Any word on travelling support from the Onions?

222Westside
04-15-2010, 05:59 PM
But you can watch the archived stream afterwards. Right?

I don't think so...

twistedchinaman
04-15-2010, 06:02 PM

:smilielol5:

Alixir
04-15-2010, 06:02 PM
No Nick!!!....its a sunny day.

Shakes McQueen
04-15-2010, 06:03 PM
on cell @ game - garcia is officially substitute

twistedchinaman
04-15-2010, 06:03 PM
If no one's doing it...I'm opening the Match thread.

drewski
04-15-2010, 06:06 PM
anybody else finding Rogers 501 choppy?

dantdot
04-15-2010, 06:06 PM
Game Thread: http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=21750

twistedchinaman
04-15-2010, 06:07 PM
Match thread opened!

Please stand clear of closeable thread...beep beep beep beep beep beep beep....

:D

Alixir
04-15-2010, 06:07 PM
anybody else finding Rogers 501 choppy?
at least you get it in HD...stupid bell expressview doesn't have a Gol tv HD channel.

TFCRegina
04-15-2010, 06:08 PM

:facepalm: Thank god for granting me this moment of clarity...

Aroundtheworld
04-15-2010, 06:15 PM
Great Tifo!