PDA

View Full Version : The JDG Speculation thread!

Pachuco
04-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Alright guys,

JDG was apparantly "ill" to start the game last night. What's the deal?

Either he was "ill" and Preki was trying to save him for thursday night OR there's something going on in the changeroom again.

I will say this, JDG did not look happy when he was on the field. There was a moment where Gargan (I think it was him) sent him a ball that ended up going out of bounds where you could see JDG visible shacking his head and rolling his eyes at the quality of the pass. It actually ticked me off when I saw that, I wonder if he's pulling shit like this at practice?

There is no doubt JDG has more experience and skilll then many of the guys, but right now, he isn't playing any better then these players to be visibly throwing them under the bus.

It could all just be that he was ill, but it's always fun to speculate :)

Lucky Strike
04-11-2010, 09:57 AM
You wouldn't look happy either if you came on to a 3-1 deficit caused by the incompetence of one player. And it was soon 4-1 following another shocking gaffe. Nothing to speculate on, really.

Pachuco
04-11-2010, 10:01 AM
You wouldn't look happy either if you came on to a 3-1 deficit caused by the incompetence of one player. And it was soon 4-1 following another shocking gaffe. Nothing to speculate on, really.

The incompetence was a team effort last night. Dero is just about the only player on the pitch that doesn't deserve to be bashed after that performance. That includes JDG who came on to give the ball away. Garcia was bad, but so was Hscanovic, so was Nana, and what exactly did JDG do last night except give the ball away?

deeznutz
04-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Idk.....Something is not right....

GabrielHurl
04-11-2010, 10:04 AM
What kind of effort would you expect from a mercenary?

Only reason he signed here is because he was unwanted in Europe.

He's done nothing since he signed to justify his salary

Sonny Cheeba
04-11-2010, 10:05 AM
JDG was doing that last year-- shaking his head and rolling his eyes.

he's gotta realize where he's at. yeah you expect better passes from professional players, but the quality in MLS is bushleague compared to La Liga.

Wildgreek
04-11-2010, 10:07 AM
its time for a change

canadian_bhoy
04-11-2010, 10:25 AM
What kind of effort would you expect from a mercenary?

Only reason he signed here is because he was unwanted in Europe.

He's done nothing since he signed to justify his salary

What can he do though?

His skill is to distribute great passes to players who can put the ball in the net. Obviously we don't have that.

JDG was never a good DP choice for TFC.

I don't blame him, I blame mo for yet another blunder signing.

The only way that JDG will show his worth is if TFC get a striker as a second DP. Someone who can actually run onto the passes that JDG can create.

J .
04-11-2010, 10:26 AM
JDG should be on a mid to bottom EPL team, not in a bottom MLS team.

That said, his role is to make guys better, work hard and not walk around with his hands on his hips rolling eyes.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-11-2010, 10:27 AM
sorry, not buying it at all, he looked disgusted because they were playing like crap, i looked disgusted too, he came on cuz he loves the team and hoped to do something to help them regardless of his condition, ill put good money thisll show up somewhere soon as a rumor, sigh

deeznutz
04-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Is White not that player to get on the end of JDG passes?

2Legit2Quit
04-11-2010, 10:41 AM
He was benched because he broke the team curfew, by not getting back to the hotel until midnight.

2Legit2Quit
04-11-2010, 10:44 AM
What can he do though?

His skill is to distribute great passes to players who can put the ball in the net. Obviously we don't have that.

JDG was never a good DP choice for TFC.

I don't blame him, I blame mo for yet another blunder signing.

The only way that JDG will show his worth is if TFC get a striker as a second DP. Someone who can actually run onto the passes that JDG can create.

At Depor, JDG was a pure DM. He was never the n10 or creative midfielder with an amazing pass in the last 2/3 of the field that you claim he is.

The problem is that in this league not one single team needs a DP DM. They need a DP striker or AM, but not a DM. The other part of the problem is that he doesn't care. He is getting paid and could care less about this team or where it is going. I am even amazed that the captain arm band was offered to him and he turned it down.

Fushida
04-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Is White not that player to get on the end of JDG passes?

LOL. no. when was the last time he scored in a team game? seriously.

JDG isn't an amazing passer either by any means. From what I've seen over the years his primary attributes are being able to hold up play and win balls with the occasional burst forward. He simply didn't have any of them last night.

canadian_bhoy
04-11-2010, 10:47 AM
He was benched because he broke the team curfew, by not getting back to the hotel until midnight.

Why doesn't the team just say that? Everything has to be a bottled lie.

Teams bench players for breaking curfew all the time. And it is in the paper. Happens in the EPL all the time. Why not just say so? I have no respect for TFC's PR dept.

Dichio can't fly - lie
Jimmy B and Preki didn't have any issues - lie
JDG has a mystery 24 hour flu and can't play - lie
Mo's got a 5 year plan....oh god

Dirk Diggler
04-11-2010, 11:01 AM
I reserved judgment on JDG till this year because I thought his 5-6 games last year were a wash considering the circumstances but so far this season, it disturbs me to see the trend from last year continue ... and not to mention alleged disciplinary problems already. There are not enough facepalm and head shaking emoticons in the world to truly display my feelings towards this.

sulfur
04-11-2010, 11:07 AM
I am even amazed that the captain arm band was offered to him and he turned it down.
Can we get confirmation of such? What's your source on this?

nfitz
04-11-2010, 11:09 AM
He was benched because he broke the team curfew, by not getting back to the hotel until midnight.Prove it.

Gixmo
04-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Prove it.

Seriously? Look in various threads.. You're going to be surprised.

ManUtd4ever
04-11-2010, 11:18 AM
Regardless of the reasons for his ommision from the starting lineup, JDG has yet to resemble even a shadow of the player he was at Deportivo La Coruna since he joined TFC. I acknowledge he is playing with an inferior supporting cast but he has been far from stellar in the midfield in terms of his individual contributions thus far. I have not been impressed with his attitude, distribution, and he seems to get muscled off the ball fairly easily in a more physical league such as the MLS. Will the real JDG please stand up?!

nfitz
04-11-2010, 11:18 AM
Seriously? Look in various threads.. You're going to be surprised.I've looked in various threads, and seen no proof - just what appears to be unfounded speculation. Perhaps I missed something ... and if so, please point it out to me.

Gixmo
04-11-2010, 11:23 AM
I'll put an over priced Carlsberg on it... He was benched, end of story. If it's not unfounded, it's extremely coincidental

Let's flip the coin - You find me any indication of
-Week long Flu bug
-24 Hour Flu Bug
-Any sort of illness in his look last night

He came on, played a few minutes at full pace, looking just fine - Albeit, pissed off...

So, Bet me a frosty Carlsberg?

nfitz
04-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Let's flip the coin - You find me any indication of
-Week long Flu bug
-24 Hour Flu Bug
-Any sort of illness in his look last nightThere's a lot of evidence that it was some sickness (I'd hardly doubt it was anything as serious as influenza though ... that seems a reach!). There are numerous media reports that he was ill. And not one that he was benched for missing curfew.

The media was attending training. If they thought something was amiss, I'd think they'd have said something.

Chevy
04-11-2010, 11:31 AM
Why doesn't the team just say that? Everything has to be a bottled lie.

Teams bench players for breaking curfew all the time. And it is in the paper. Happens in the EPL all the time. Why not just say so? I have no respect for TFC's PR dept.

Dichio can't fly - lie
Jimmy B and Preki didn't have any issues - lie
JDG has a mystery 24 hour flu and can't play - lie
Mo's got a 5 year plan....oh god

I can at least confirm the Dichio BS. In January I was on the same flight to Florida as Danny. He seemed to manage it fairly well - was even able to walk off the plane afterwards. :facepalm:

Gixmo
04-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Show me a media report that indicates JDG was ill. The media reported what the FO reported to them, JDG is ill...

Let's think outside the box. The media doesn't see everything, so they cannot report everything. Perhaps something occurred outside the reach of the media and the team kept it silent. Not all that improbable. I'd bet the media hasn't the oppurtunity to report on it yet. Maybe something happened and when it did, the reports are already out. The official media guide for last nights match mentions nothing about sickness. Reading the other threads and what is being said, is plausible and outside of the media (And really, couldn't have been reported anyways with deadlines etc).. Nor is Devos and Co going to bring it up.

The truth shall set you free... Speak up TFC!

nfitz
04-11-2010, 11:34 AM
He seemed to manage it fairly well - was even able to walk off the plane afterwards.What does that prove - I've seen 60-year old's walk off the plane just fine. I've even seen them play a great round of golf. Doesn't mean they should be starting every game though.

canadian_bhoy
04-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Show me a media report that indicates JDG was ill. The media reported was the FO reported to them, JDG is ill...

Let's think outside the box. The media doesn't see everything, so they cannot report everything. Perhaps something occurred outside the reach of the media and the team kept it silent. Not all that improbable. I'd bet the media hasn't the oppurtunity to report on it yet. Maybe something happened and when it did, the reports are already out. The official media guide for last nights match mentions nothing about sickness. Reading the other threads and what is being said, is plausible and outside of the media (And really, couldn't have been reported anyways with deadlines etc).. Nor is Devos and Co going to bring it up.

The truth shall set you free... Speak up TFC!

Here something that says the opposite.
Pre-game media guide mentioned nothing about an illness. You'd think he'd be on the "questionable" list if he was battling an illness that could keep him out of the game.

http://drop.io/mlssoccer/asset/410netor-pdf

Gixmo
04-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Ya, my response is a double negative, let me edit that back to what I actually mean lol You prove what I am actually trying to say (The Official Media Guide for last nights match mentions NOTHING about illness)

That should say...
Originally Posted by Gixmo http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/redbar/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=971039#post971039)
Show me a media report that indicates JDG was ill. The media reported what the FO reported to them, JDG is ill...

What I am saying is : The FO tells the media JDG is ill which is a cover-up. We all know JDG was not ill.. well the majority of us it seems. canadian_bhoy (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/member.php?u=139) is right. If he was ill, He'd be questionable. He was not ill, end of story. If the team wants to pipe up, they will.

nfitz
04-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Here something that says the opposite.
Pre-game media guide mentioned nothing about an illness. You'd think he'd be on the "questionable" list if he was battling an illness that could keep him out of the game.

http://drop.io/mlssoccer/asset/410netor-pdfI just opened that up, and Adobe Reader says that file was last modified about 2 pm on Thursday afternoon. I'm not sure how that proves anything one way or another.

There doesn't seem to be any proof - or even verbal quote from someone in the know. I fail to see the need for this unfounded speculation.

drewski
04-11-2010, 11:49 AM
was it possible JDG came down with some mysterious illness? sure, anything is possible....BUT, given the FO's track record for truthiness and not much evidence that backs them up, the balance of probabilities tells me the FO is hiding something.

Gixmo
04-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Nfitz - basically, what you're saying is you need to see a release from the team indicating what many are speculating as happened? It won't come. I'm not disputing your point, I can see you're stance 100%... what I am saying is think outside the box..

Can you honestly tell me that JDG looked ill?

was it possible JDG came down with some mysterious illness? sure, anything is possible....BUT, given the FO's track record for truthiness and not much evidence that backs them up, the balance of probabilities tells me the FO is hiding something.

Ding Ding.. A spade's, a spade...

Let's see what Molinaro/Wheeler dig up

Ossington Mental Youth
04-11-2010, 11:57 AM
Can you honestly tell me that JDG looked ill?

cmon dude, are you a doctor?
although i dont agree with nfits on quite a few things hes said recently, i do agree people are ready to assume and jump on anything at any given chance here and this is one of those things, its enough to drive people away
if it wasnt for the rumors and gossip that goes through here...

nimamalek
04-11-2010, 12:02 PM
The incompetence was a team effort last night. Dero is just about the only player on the pitch that doesn't deserve to be bashed after that performance. That includes JDG who came on to give the ball away. Garcia was bad, but so was Hscanovic, so was Nana, and what exactly did JDG do last night except give the ball away?

no it was a 1 man effort, the game was 1-1 when he gave up that easy goal and i think from the replay Garcia was the one who put Nyassi onside on the first goal (not completely sure about that one)

Gixmo
04-11-2010, 12:03 PM
Fair enough.. The writing is on the wall if you choose to read it.

Who are you to say we're making an assumption. Perhaps some of us are working on fact.. Remember, There are 2 sides to every coin.

ecospice
04-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Fair enough.. The writing is on the wall if you choose to read it.

Who are you to say we're making an assumption. Perhaps some of us are working on fact.. Remember, There are 2 sides to every coin.

All speculation on my part, but there were a lot of reports of the player missing curfew. Personally, I think he was benched for missing curfew and to try to prevent embarassing the team's DP it was reported by the team that he was ill. Again, all speculation by me.

Hopefully we win Thursday night. I don't want a repeat of last year's home opener (i.e. freeze in the cold, team shits the bed...).

Pachuco
04-11-2010, 12:12 PM
no it was a 1 man effort, the game was 1-1 when he gave up that easy goal and i think from the replay Garcia was the one who put Nyassi onside on the first goal (not completely sure about that one)

Ok man, since you called it out. Let me prove to you that what started the whole thing in the second half was Hscanovic and Gargan. Go to minute 45:33 and watch as Hscanovic admires Nyassi as he runs right by him. Nyassi crosses the ball (with all the time in the world thanks to Hscanovic) and Gargan doesn't have his man marked. That was the first goal, the one that started everything, the one that made the players put their heads down, and it had nothing to do with Garcia.

Oh and Garcia put Nyassi onside? what in the world are you talking about? There were 9 players (TFC and NE players) in front of Nyassi when he was passed the ball (I actually counted just now), I thought you might find that interesting.

Pachuco
04-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Just for the hell of it I went to the third goal (we all know what happened in the second goal). Watch Hscanovic again as he admires Nyassi running right by him. Nana then puts the NE forward onside and worst off, can't get back to mark him on time. Once again, nothing to do with Garcia.

The fourth goal was 100% Joseph Nane's fault. It was as bad a backpass as Garcia's in Columbus.

So how exactly is it that this loss wasn't a team effort?

flambe
04-11-2010, 01:07 PM
he's gotta realize where he's at. yeah you expect better passes from professional players, but the quality in MLS is bushleague compared to La Liga.

and the quality of TFC is bush league compared to other MLS teams.

I have no reason to doubt his loyalty as yet, but can easily imagine him using his "opt-out" clause at the end of the season if we keep our current form.

jazzy
04-11-2010, 02:11 PM
There's a lot of evidence that it was some sickness (I'd hardly doubt it was anything as serious as influenza though ... that seems a reach!). There are numerous media reports that he was ill. And not one that he was benched for missing curfew.

The media was attending training. If they thought something was amiss, I'd think they'd have said something.

It seems in other threads he was witnessed by RPB's, late night returning,before game day;............ seek and you shall find..........

jazzy
04-11-2010, 02:14 PM
and the quality of TFC is bush league compared to other MLS teams.

I have no reason to doubt his loyalty as yet, but can easily imagine him using his "opt-out" clause at the end of the season if we keep our current form.

I'm starting to think that is a good thing, for us and him..........quality at his position, isn't going to stop us losing 4 to 1.........

CretanBull
04-11-2010, 02:22 PM
The only facts we know are:
1. On Friday, one well-deserving hometown boy franchise player was named the new captain of the team and another well-deserving hometown boy franchise player was not.
2. At Saturday game time, JDG was too ill to play.
3. By the 60th minute, JDG was well enough to play the last 30 minutes.

These are the facts, anything else is speculation.

That's no a fact. It's possible, but not a fact.

Bloor West FC
04-11-2010, 03:37 PM
I was there when a fellow rpb opened the door for him at midnight to re-enter the hotel from the back near the restaurant . I am hearing there was a curfew of 9:30 that the players would have to be back in there rooms. I think preki was just pissed at him.

nfitz
04-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Nfitz - basically, what you're saying is you need to see a release from the team indicating what many are speculating as happened? That's not at all were I am saying. Where did you get that? But perhaps at least a single reference in the media, even on twitter. Given that the media has been very anti-TFC lately, one can't claim that they would ignore this.

Even something from someone on the inside ... I haven't seen anything here other than speculation.

DOMIN8R
04-11-2010, 03:51 PM
I was there when a fellow rpb opened the door for him at midnight to re-enter the hotel from the back near the restaurant . I am hearing there was a curfew of 9:30 that the players would have to be back in there rooms. I think preki was just pissed at him.

Here is another theory to help this thread reach 12 pages by monday:D

There is no evidence that anyone other than those who say him arrive ~ midnight knew he arrived that later. Not even Preki. I can't imagine anyone finding out, frankly. I don't think they do bed checks.

Perhaps he just goes to bed late. He wakes up feeling sub-optimal. Perhaps, because he stayed up late or as a result of what he did out.

nfitz
04-11-2010, 04:00 PM
There is no evidence that anyone other than those who say him arrive ~ midnight knew he arrived that later. Not even Preki. I can't imagine anyone finding out, frankly. I don't think they do bed checks.

Perhaps he just goes to bed late. He wakes up feeling sub-optimal. Perhaps, because he stayed up late or as a result of what he did out.Well at least as conspiracy theories go ... that one is plausible.

Though if one was in bed by midnight ... that hardly seems too extreme. What time did they report in the morning? Did any of these witnesses think he looked drunk?

Bloor West FC
04-11-2010, 04:03 PM
I am wondering if they are hiring for a bed check person I would nominate garcia lol hey wake up!! Seems he might b able to stay at a possition with us hahahaha.

DOMIN8R
04-11-2010, 08:29 PM
One thing is for damn sure. The team will conduct the appropriate due diligence, from now on, to make sure there isn't 100 fans staying the same hotel.

Between the cat and mouse, sightings, outings and threads - the FO will have to assume more of a bunker mentality when travelling.

Anyone want to apply for the TFC Travelling Coordinator imminent job posting?

scooterTFC
04-11-2010, 09:17 PM
Anyone know what prompted Paul James to write this on pregame blog before saturday's game;

"...Preki appears to be in touch with reality. Hard work, tough, resilient, and selfless are a few of the intangible traits you look for in players. If they do not have them you ultimately cannot win. Sure they can compensate with some other aptitude such as their supreme technical ability or athleticism to warrant inclusion but with coaches cut from the same cloth as Preki, it tends to be temporary until they can be replaced. So de Guzman watch out." http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/james-on-soccer/gutsy-preki-calling-the-shots-for-toronto-fc/article1530028/

Ossington Mental Youth
04-11-2010, 09:49 PM
saying that if deguzman doesnt play up to his talent he will get benched, i dont think itll happen that immediately

FluSH
04-11-2010, 10:00 PM
There should be a JDG or Amado thread...

I am missing Amado right now...

Pachuco
04-11-2010, 10:02 PM

I would shorten my penis size to see Amado play in Red again!

Gazza
04-11-2010, 10:09 PM
I want a winner here as much as anyone, but i would never shorten my penis size. I'll gladly hand over my left nut.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-11-2010, 10:17 PM
i liked amado alot but hes gone and im fine with it. i certainly wouldnt trade jdg for him

Shaughno
04-12-2010, 08:08 AM
I love that the people who are making 'factual' statements are the people who rarely, if ever, travel on the road to support their team. Some of us were there, talked to the players, Preki, etc. Some of our boys actually held the door open for JDG, who happened to be the last one into the hotel around midnight. I'm willing to bet my left nut that he was being made an example by Preki. Basically saying NOBODY is above the club.

It's a team game, and you won't win without playing like a team. That said, I have a feeling there are still issues in that changeroom. What the hell happened at half time that changed us from being a hard working, ball winning team... to a shit, ball watching, weak in the tackle team? It was one of the best 45 mins I've ever seen this club play as a 'TEAM'... then they come out for the second half and they were absolute shit. How? Why?

Shaughno
04-12-2010, 08:23 AM
JDG was passed over for captain on Friday morning, might have upset him, not surprising he might go out for on Friday night to mull that over and maybe miss curfew. Hopefully it will blow over.

No offense but do you think JDG was really expecting the captain's band? I wasn't and I don't think he was either.

Shaughno
04-12-2010, 08:46 AM
I don't think he's captain material personally. He's easily one of the best, if not the best, on the National team as well... but I can't remember him wearing the armband for the Nat's.

DreFuss
04-12-2010, 08:53 AM
its time for a change

Yeah, cause we haven't had enough already...

olegunnar
04-12-2010, 09:06 AM
I'm willing to bet my left nut that he was being made an example by Preki.

If he was being made an example of why weren't the team's own rules on curfew followed? I may be crazy but I think I saw JDG on the pitch in the second half.

So making an example of means, relaxing team rules for the DP? I wonder how far that policy will go towards mending fences in the dressing room? :rolleyes:

TFCREDNWHITE
04-12-2010, 09:23 AM
I would shorten my penis size to see Amado play in Red again!

from your previous posts, it sounds like you would also do that to keep Garcia on the pitch...

Pachuco
04-12-2010, 09:31 AM
from your previous posts, it sounds like you would also do that to keep Garcia on the pitch...

WTF are you talking about? You obviously confuse me with someone else.

ensco
04-12-2010, 09:39 AM
I don't think he's captain material personally. He's easily one of the best, if not the best, on the National team as well... but I can't remember him wearing the armband for the Nat's.

At first I dismissed the idea that JDG is unhappy about the armband thing, but upon reflection I'm not sure.

The armband means a lot. It's why the Beckham/Donovan thing was so interesting.

Face it, JDG's family, his friends, his agent, what do you think they're saying? I'll bet they're all telling him he should be captain.

Having said all that, he is a quiet guy. Hard to know what he wants, or what he's thinking.

Shaughno
04-12-2010, 09:45 AM
If he was being made an example of why weren't the team's own rules on curfew followed? I may be crazy but I think I saw JDG on the pitch in the second half.

So making an example of means, relaxing team rules for the DP? I wonder how far that policy will go towards mending fences in the dressing room? :rolleyes:

No, he didn't relax the rules if this is the case.... Everyone said our DP should be starting. By not starting him he obviously made a statement, whether or not you are a DP player, you abide by the team/coach rules. Nobody is bigger than the club. How does benching your most expensive player equal relaxing team rules?

At first I dismissed the idea that JDG is unhappy about the armband thing, but upon reflection I'm not sure.

Face it, JDG's family, his friends, his agent, what do you think they're saying? I'll bet they're all telling him he should be captain.

Having said all that, he is a quiet guy. Hard to know what he wants, or what he's thinking.

Hey, I'm sure his family and friends ARE saying that kind of stuff. I'm sure Frei's, Cronin's and DeRo's family and friends all thought the same thing respectively.

Whether or not he's bothered by it, we'll probably never know. Regardless, as a professional and friend of DeRo he should fully understand that at this point, DeRo has done much more to deserve the armband than JDG has.

tfc2007
04-12-2010, 09:51 AM
Alright guys,

Either he was "ill" and Preki was trying to save him for thursday night OR there's something going on in the changeroom again.

I will say this, JDG did not look happy when he was on the field. There was a moment where Gargan (I think it was him) sent him a ball that ended up going out of bounds where you could see JDG visible shacking his head and rolling his eyes at the quality of the pass. It actually ticked me off when I saw that, I wonder if he's pulling shit like this at practice?

There is no doubt JDG has more experience and skilll then many of the guys, but right now, he isn't playing any better then these players to be visibly throwing them under the bus.

I do not want to start any rumors or anything, but I went to practise last Tuesday, and the assistant coach had to come talk to him in the middle of a keep away drill and I clearly heard him say "come on julian, keep your head up.". After the coach left he kinda had this 'whatever' attitude about him.

Take it for what it is, I am not saying that for fact he is like this every practise, or even he was like this all practise as I spent most of it watching the keepers.

ManUtd4ever
04-12-2010, 09:52 AM
I can't remember which article it was at the moment, but I definitely recall reading a quote from JDG last week that he wouldn't be interested in the captaincy. Besides, JDG's body language would suggest that he has no such inclination anyways. During the New England match I saw something that exemplifies the "holier than thou" attitude he has portrayed since arriving in Toronto. Soon after JDG was brought on as a late sub, he misplayed the ball out of bounds in an attempt to connect with DeRo. Martin Saric came over to JDG with an outstretched hand in a gesture of good faith and JDG completely ignored him, walked right by without so much as an acknowledgement. I was not impressed to say the least and his level of play has not been such that he should be walking around with a chip on his shoulder...

ecospice
04-12-2010, 09:54 AM
WTF are you talking about? You obviously confuse me with someone else.

Perhaps it was sarcasm. :D

TFCREDNWHITE
04-12-2010, 10:05 AM
I do not want to start any rumors or anything, but I went to practise last Tuesday, and the assistant coach had to come talk to him in the middle of a keep away drill and I clearly heard him say "come on julian, keep your head up.". After the coach left he kinda had this 'whatever' attitude about him.

Take it for what it is, I am not saying that for fact he is like this every practise, or even he was like this all practise as I spent most of it watching the keepers.

I agree with you 100%

I also was at the teams practice....

Im not trying to say anything...but...Julian had this attitude and non-chalant swagger to him that made me want to puke!.....and JDG is my Canadian God, I love the guy!.....but he seemed "moppy" and dragging his feet so to speak....kinda like he was giving the middle finger to everyone "silently"....

anyways its just my observation

ensco
04-12-2010, 10:13 AM
I agree we'll probably never know, he's not going to say anything publicly. I thought Dero was the right choice for captain, however it's certainly not obvious to me (or likely) that JDG would necessarily think Dero deserves it more than himself.

In world football terms, there is a clear difference in pedigree between JDG and DeRo. Starting for an above average side in La Liga (and only a year removed from it, to boot) dwarfs anything DeRo has ever done.

But in MLS terms, and probably in terms of personality, DeRo is the more obvious choice.

You could see how there could be a problem.

Savage
04-12-2010, 10:13 AM

Amado had immediate impact with his playmaking, passing, corner kicks, free kicks and his guile and experience showed. He came in with bad rep and left us on good terms. He has not been replaced yet. JDG has shown nothing so far and he better get going.

Pachuco
04-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Amado had immediate impact with his playmaking, passing, corner kicks, free kicks and his guile and experience showed. He came in with bad rep and left us on good terms. He has not been replaced yet. JDG has shown nothing so far and he better get going.

I actually think we are in for a rude awakening when it comes to corner kicks and free kicks. None of us are complaining yet because we haven't had any yet. Once we do, it will be easy to see that we lack someone in the set piece department.

Pookie
JDG came here reluctantly after being blackballed out of Europe.

He did squat in his first few games but we gave him a pass because of fitness. This season is different. If he did break team rules, that isn't a great way to establish yourself.

If that was the case, hats off to Preki for benching a guy who makes a ton of cash. No one is bigger than the team.

As for comments about Preki lying. Again, if that is the case, I think a joke might help explain why a team might want to hide the real reason:

A man's wife went for a girls night out but didn't return home until the next day. She told him that she had too much to drink so slept over on the couch at a friend's house. Suspicious, he called 10 of her best friends and every one of them said that she did not stay there and had no idea where she was.

A woman's husband went for a boys night out but didn't return home until the next day. He told his wife that he had too much to drink so slept over on the couch at a friend's house. Suspicious, she called 10 of his best friends. 8 of them said that he had slept over at their respective houses, 2 claimed that he was still there sleeping.

Shaughno

IMO, two totally different players and you can't compare apples to oranges.

JDG = DM
Guevara = AM

If you want to compare players, compare DeRo to Guevara.

ensco
04-12-2010, 10:20 AM
^Yes, this is not a "lying" problem. Some things you just can't deal with publicly.

alex andrew
04-12-2010, 10:30 AM
the whole captaincy thing is about money.

although on paper dero makes less than deguz, wait for all his commercials.

he started with pokerstars or so, cannot turn the tv on without dero being there.

cereals next, subways, etc etc.

between being a dp ( pressure, results, targets ) and a captain, i'd chose the moddeling job.

alex andrew
04-12-2010, 10:44 AM
exactly, dero was mellow because deguz was making more, now it's viceversa, hahaha.

drewski
04-12-2010, 11:07 AM

JDG = DM
Guevara = AM

that and two different backgrounds.

JDG came from a top flight league in europe and has to adjust, Guevara was experienced with the type of play in this league.

SilverSamurai
04-12-2010, 11:13 AM

JDG takes more of a silent leader role.
I think he should be the CMNT captain, but TFC? Not yet...

Fushida
04-12-2010, 11:20 AM
You can say its apples to oranges, but in terms of impact, Guevara was hands down stronger than what JDG has shown so far.

I remember when he first signed, people were worried about whether JDG can continue playing at the level he had shown in Depor or whether he'll play down to TFC's level. As far as we can tell so far, he has not only played down to TFC's level, Saturday's performance would suggest he's playing worse than some players here in his position.

And this debate about Guevara also outlines a pretty big deficiency we have in the creative department. The past 2 years we've been almost totally dependent on Guevara's abilities. When he's on, we do well.. when he's off, we tend to play like shit. Other than him, we had virtually no other creative outlet. DeRo - as good as he is to us - is NOT nearly the same creative type of player as Guevara. He doesn't bring his teammates into the game as well as Guevara was able to. You can see this year that we have registered very few shots on target in all our games (including most preseason games).

I'm just surprised we have 4 virtually identical players on our roster - Sanyang, Saric, Cronin, and at the level he's playing right now, JDG. Zero creativity in the midfield save LaBrocca, who we haven't seen enough yet. That means we've been resorting to weak wing play and long balls. Good luck on that one because you can count the number of headers that OBW has simply MISSED (not outchallenged, simply mistimed and missed outright) on Saturday's game.

FluSH
04-12-2010, 12:12 PM
You can say its apples to oranges, but in terms of impact, Guevara was hands down stronger than what JDG has shown so far.

I remember when he first signed, people were worried about whether JDG can continue playing at the level he had shown in Depor or whether he'll play down to TFC's level. As far as we can tell so far, he has not only played down to TFC's level, Saturday's performance would suggest he's playing worse than some players here in his position.

And this debate about Guevara also outlines a pretty big deficiency we have in the creative department. The past 2 years we've been almost totally dependent on Guevara's abilities. When he's on, we do well.. when he's off, we tend to play like shit. Other than him, we had virtually no other creative outlet. DeRo - as good as he is to us - is NOT nearly the same creative type of player as Guevara. He doesn't bring his teammates into the game as well as Guevara was able to. You can see this year that we have registered very few shots on target in all our games (including most preseason games).

I'm just surprised we have 4 virtually identical players on our roster - Sanyang, Saric, Cronin, and at the level he's playing right now, JDG. Zero creativity in the midfield save LaBrocca, who we haven't seen enough yet. That means we've been resorting to weak wing play and long balls. Good luck on that one because you can count the number of headers that OBW has simply MISSED (not outchallenged, simply mistimed and missed outright) on Saturday's game.

THANK YOU

canadian_bhoy
04-12-2010, 12:18 PM
^Yes, this is not a "lying" problem. Some things you just can't deal with publicly.

Sure it is. If you do it right, you can deal with anything publicly.

TFC make themselves look stupid because they try to hide bust ups and issues. When the team then performs like ass, or people quit/retire/get traded, it makes it look like the club don't know what they were doing.

People look at the Dichio retirement and think "what the hell??? is cummins an idiot for not playing danny?" when they could have said "we've asked danny to retire early so we can sign JDG".

Which of those two makes TFC smart and which one makes them look incompetent?

Celtic example.

Here's how Celtic dealt with a discipline problem last week. No lies, no hiding. They said "here's what happend, here's what we did, now lets move on".

I hate that TFC treats us like kids that need to be lied to.

Celtic defender Edson Braafheid has been fined by the club after storming out of Hampden Park before their shock Scottish Cup defeat by Ross County.
The on-loan Bayern Munich left-back went AWOL upon learning he would not be in the squad for Saturday's 2-0 loss.
Interim manager Neil Lennon said: "There's a code of conduct and a code of discipline and it goes away from the team spirit we are trying to create.
"I spoke to him about it; he's bitterly disappointed with his behaviour."
Lennon insisted that the matter was now closed and that the 27-year-old Netherlands international would be in contention for Tuesday's Scottish Premier League game against Motherwell.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif He's been fined, it's dealt with internally and it's closed

Interim Celtic manager Neil Lennon

"He came to see me after the squad was announced and I explained my reasons why the team was picked and the substitutes," said the caretaker boss.
"I explained to him that I could only pick four outfield players, plus a goalkeeper, plus two under-21s.
"I was pleased he came to see me because it shows that he cares and he's disappointed.
"But what I can't have is him leaving before the game. He's been fined, it's dealt with internally and it's closed - and he is in contention tomorrow."
Braafheid was signed by Tony Mowbray in January, but the reinstatement of Lee Naylor at left-back was one of the first changes made by Lennon after the manager's sacking in March.

Boondaddy
04-12-2010, 12:32 PM
I just opened that up, and Adobe Reader says that file was last modified about 2 pm on Thursday afternoon. I'm not sure how that proves anything one way or another.

There doesn't seem to be any proof - or even verbal quote from someone in the know. I fail to see the need for this unfounded speculation.

well....this is the JDG speculation thread :rolleyes:

greatwhitenorf
04-12-2010, 12:52 PM
well....this is the JDG speculation thread :rolleyes:

In so many ways, sports was better - and more relaxing - before the internet.

FluSH
04-12-2010, 01:27 PM

JDG = DM
Guevara = AM

Personally I could care less what initials follow his name... he could be AMADO = SOB

I am missing him dearly right now....

Shaughno
04-12-2010, 02:20 PM

Not to be a dick, but an Attacking Mid is almost guaranteed to make a bigger impact than a Defensive Mid, hence the respective titles.

That said, I don't think JDG has played anywhere near good enough for us so far.

Would you say that Shalrie Joseph made a bigger impact than Zack Schilawski against us? No, because one's an attacking player, the other is a defensive link-up player.

Personally I could care less what initials follow his name... he could be AMADO = SOB

I am missing him dearly right now....

But Flush... it's not initials, it's the type of player they are.

Amado brings a creative, attacking minded approach to the game.
JDG brings a link-up, defensive style to the game.

Roogsy
04-12-2010, 02:27 PM
At Depor, JDG was a pure DM. He was never the n10 or creative midfielder with an amazing pass in the last 2/3 of the field that you claim he is.

The problem is that in this league not one single team needs a DP DM. They need a DP striker or AM, but not a DM. The other part of the problem is that he doesn't care. He is getting paid and could care less about this team or where it is going. I am even amazed that the captain arm band was offered to him and he turned it down.

QFT on all counts.

Roogsy
04-12-2010, 02:31 PM

I agree. It may be apples and oranges in terms of where each player played, but when you talk about "impact" it is a concept that is evident regardless of where you play.

The truth is that JDG is being given the "Barrett" treatment while other players are given the "Gerba" treatment. On the one hand some players are being given too much patience and time, and on the other, some players are being sent packing without getting a fair shot. It's a weird scenario being played out at BMO Field.

Shaughno
04-12-2010, 02:35 PM
I agree. It may be apples and oranges in terms of where each player played, but when you talk about "impact" it is a concept that is evident regardless of where you play.

The truth is that JDG is being given the "Barrett" treatment while other players are given the "Gerba" treatment. On the one hand some players are being given too much patience and time, and on the other, some players are being sent packing without getting a fair shot. It's a weird scenario being played out at BMO Field.

Not true at all actually. I plainly said that I don't think JDG has been up to snuff since he arrived, but in terms of impact on the game I still stand by my post. An Attacking Mid is going to have more impact on a game than a Defensive Mid will. At least in terms of people recognizing it.

Robbo got shit on in year one by MANY people, meanwhile he saved our asses many times and never got credit for it simply because it's what he's supposed to do as a DM.

Roogsy
04-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Not true at all actually. I plainly said that I don't think JDG has been up to snuff since he arrived, but in terms of impact on the game I still stand by my post. An Attacking Mid is going to have more impact on a game than a Defensive Mid will. At least in terms of people recognizing it.

Robbo got shit on in year one by MANY people, meanwhile he saved our asses many times and never got credit for it simply because it's what he's supposed to do as a DM.

There is a difference here Jay. On the one hand you are saying that an AM will have a bigger impact on a game than a DM (a concept I disagree with but I digress) and yet you go on to give an example of a DM that, and I quote:

saved our asses many times and never got credit for it...

Which in essence means he DID have an impact on the game (making him a poor example for your point), it's just that people were not informed or knowledgeable enough to recognize it.

I don't think that's the case here with JDG.

I think what you are trying to say is that the AM position is a sexier position than the DM position because the results show up on the score sheet and highlight reels. And I agree with you on this. However, I disagree that one has a bigger impact than the other...but even if it were true, I would argue that the DM has a bigger impact on the game than the AM.

To be frank, it's time for the DP DM to have an impact. No more excuses.

brad
04-12-2010, 02:46 PM
I think what you are trying to say is that the AM position is a sexier position than the DM position because the results show up on the score sheet and highlight reels. And I agree with you on this. However, I disagree that one has a bigger impact than the other...but even if it were true, I would argue that the DM has a bigger impact on the game than the AM.

I agree with both of you. Depends on the view.

The attacking play is in the MLS is just not good enough to need an above MLS quality DM. Having that talent in attack will turn the game quicker. Especially considering how suspect most MLS defences are.

At a higher level, well, try shutting down someone like Xavi without one.

Pachuco
04-12-2010, 02:53 PM
There is a difference here Jay. On the one hand you are saying that an AM will have a bigger impact on a game than a DM (a concept I disagree with but I digress) and yet you go on to give an example of a DM that, and I quote:

Which in essence means he DID have an impact on the game (making him a poor example for your point), it's just that people were not informed or knowledgeable enough to recognize it.

I don't think that's the case here with JDG.

Exactly, it's simple. It doesn't matter what position you play, everyone has a role on the team. The question at hand is how much impact has a player had relative to the role they play on the team. Deguzman has not shown by any stretch that he's impactfull relative to the position he plays. I would argue that Nana (a player who I think made 33K until last year) had a bigger impact on the team his first half season then Deguz has. That my friends, is a problem.

Shaughno
04-12-2010, 02:54 PM
I agree with both of you. Depends on the view.

The attacking play is in the MLS is just not good enough to need an above MLS quality DM. Having that talent in attack will turn the game quicker. Especially considering how suspect most MLS defences are.

At a higher level, well, try shutting down someone like Xavi without one.

Sorry, this is what I was getting at (in the MLS).

And yes Roogs, Robbo did impact the game. Just like Shalrie Joseph impacts the game for the Revs. It doesn't mean they will have the same impact as an attacking player would in this league. Otherwise, how else do you explain a rookie striker destroying us in the second half, with Shalrie playing near his best IMO. They both had an impact, but Shalrie just can't impact a game to the same level playing as a DM. Not in the MLS anyway. A highly creative and talented attacking player will almost always change a game more than any defensive minded player in the league.

ManUtd4ever
04-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Mo clearly panicked last season when he signed DeGuzman. He was desperate to appease the masses and push TFC into the playoffs. I agree that the DP slot in this league needs to be utilized on offensively gifted attacking players as opposed to defensive role players in order to have the desired impact or bang for the buck. The reality is that for better or worse, JDG is here to stay for the foreseeable future because of the size and length of his contract. For the sake of the organization, I hope JDG can check his ego at the door, put the team first, and adapt to utilize his considerable skill level to excel in an attacking midfield role. I have seen him play at his best with the CMNT and I believe he has the ability to earn his DP salary with TFC. The question is, does he have the motivation?

Shaughno
04-12-2010, 03:30 PM
^^ Exactly my thoughts. And for what it's worth... no, I don't think he does have the motivation. At least not from what I've seen.

trane
04-12-2010, 03:34 PM
^ I am started to wonder that as well. I had big hopes that the trio of JDG, De Ro, Gerba would reproduve their CMNT magic, so to speak, but it has been lacking. And while I do not blame the 5-0 loss in NY on him, clearly a CDM like him could have done more to organize the team. JDG could be fucking Adrea Pirlo in this leauge, right now he is playing like Barry. If you know what I mean, solid, but not that two way creative effective CDM.

Fushida
04-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Not to be a dick, but an Attacking Mid is almost guaranteed to make a bigger impact than a Defensive Mid, hence the respective titles.

That said, I don't think JDG has played anywhere near good enough for us so far.

Would you say that Shalrie Joseph made a bigger impact than Zack Schilawski against us? No, because one's an attacking player, the other is a defensive link-up player.

I know what you're trying to say, but I'm not just looking at stats here - which is what would lead an AM to have more "statistical impact" (in the goals and assists category) than a DM. That would be foolish. I'm talking about what others have just said before me. General impact on the game itself. There's 11 players on the field and every one of them has a role to fill. Frankly, JDG has been quite casual in his play in the two games that he featured in, and definitely hasn't done quite enough to justify being the highest paid player in the team.

Previous expectations aside, I don't think anyone expects him to be a box to box guy who can split defenses with his passes anymore (I sure did last year). But he hasn't really done enough in the defensive end at all, and clearly can't connect a lot more of his passes than we're used to seeing in the CMNT.

Shaughno
04-12-2010, 03:50 PM
I think that also has to do with the quality and familiarity of the players around him, personally.

Belfast_Boy
04-12-2010, 03:54 PM
he looked fine walking out of the hotel. was about 15 feet away from him.

SilverSamurai
04-12-2010, 04:07 PM
^ I am started to wonder that as well. I had big hopes that the trio of JDG, De Ro, Gerba would reproduve their CMNT magic, so to speak, but it has been lacking. And while I do not blame the 5-0 loss in NY on him, clearly a CDM like him could have done more to organize the team. JDG could be fucking Adrea Pirlo in this leauge, right now he is playing like Barry. If you know what I mean, solid, but not that two way creative effective CDM.

Why isn't he used as an AM though? Anyone thats seen him play for the CMNT knows he's capable of it, but TFC (unless I'm mistaken) plays him in a DM role.

trane
04-12-2010, 04:12 PM
^ he can. But I am thinking that the tought process is to use him as the "general" of the team, and as CDM, it is a great position to do that. It can be a great transitional, counte attacking position. However, he has not been effective as he could be in that manner. Part of the problem is ceratainly the players around him. From what I have seen one of the major problems is that in the MLS many players seem to expect the ball to be delivered to them all most all the time, instead of the ball being put into space for them to run too ( I am talking in terms of attacking).

He could dominate the league from the DM spot, if he played hard, he could shut down most attacks, and start inteligent counters, but there has been far to little of this.

ag futbol
04-12-2010, 04:27 PM

On the money, everybody thinks JDG is the style of player you saw in the 2007 gold cup. Not the case. He's an excellent DEFENSIVE midfielder that played in a league where the technical requirements are sky high. So he has some skill, but that doesn't necessarily translate to going forward and attacking all the time.

That being said, he hasn't really produced for us. I'm not concerned but it's time to step up. Without a doubt this signing has yet to pay dividends.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-12-2010, 04:44 PM
I think that also has to do with the quality and familiarity of the players around him, personally.

i think this is a big issue too

onemanbarmyarmy
04-12-2010, 04:55 PM
I think that JDG just isn't the same calibre of most of the other DP's in the league. Positionally there is no use for a DP DM. We had two very serviceable DMs to begin with so why spend the money and the spot on another. Are we playing a 4-5-1? Are we playing a 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield? If not there is no real need for a DM specifically. Maybe JDG can play as an AM but to be honest he looked like he didn't care to be there Sat. With the revolving door of players, who would?

Savage
04-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Not to worry, DeGuz will be will be gone and Thursday's game will be an indication of things to come. If he starts the game and plays well he may be around for a spell, but if he is "ill" again and is on the bench, well its goodbye DeGuz. I am sure that Mr. Preki would want his DP to show his class and exert his influence in a ""low quality league like the MLS which to date he has not been able to do. He would want him to pass the ball forward at least once out of every ten times he gains it or is given the possesion of it instead passing the ball backwards or laterrally. He would want him to find a way to cope with the physical play and have impact on the outcome of every game he plays, which he has not even remotely come close to. Only thing he has shown Mr. Preki is attitude.

J .
04-12-2010, 06:21 PM
JDG will be solid for us this year. He has the skills to do so. He is great at winning the ball and moving it forward. Hopefully JDG, LaBrocca and DeRo can gain some chemistry. Also, hopefully Julian wont be lamenting that he is playing in MLS and not Spain, England etc.

I disagree he is not worth the signing, he has all the tools to boss the midfield here. He could be a great DP selection. He is creative and the young high end talent we want to build around. We can get another striker DP if we want.

People are throwing him under the bus after seven games. Five of which he was unfit for selection. So far this season we have one game to judge him by, was Columbus his fault? Im pissed he didnt play in NE, but ladies, lets give the season ten games before we shit the bed.

Ontario Arab
04-12-2010, 06:58 PM
He needs to get his finger oot now tho, he plays for us and he should get on with it. I think he will after he gets a taste of the home fans again.....fwiw I think Barrett may surprise a few folk on here when he comes back.

canadian_bhoy
04-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Why couldn't we have Guevara, DeRo and DeGuz all in the mid. We'd have the best midfield line-up in the league.

I loved watching Robbo play - Jimmy B too...but Guevara will be our most "missed" player this season. (won't miss his diving though).

Ontario Arab
04-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Why couldn't we have Guevara, DeRo and DeGuz all in the mid. We'd have the best midfield line-up in the league.

I loved watching Robbo play - Jimmy B too...but Guevara will be our most "missed" player this season. (won't miss his diving though).
Maybe we should raid County for a few players.....sorry pal had to be said lol.:scarf:

onemanbarmyarmy
04-12-2010, 10:02 PM
JDG is a terrible choice for DP and if he scores 5 goals this season I will be surprised.

Heck I'll be amazed if he doesn't give the ball away in our own half 5 times in a game.

He won't stay around long enough to get better with this team. Expectations out weigh what he can contribute solely based on the weight of his contract and maybe his position.

Dirk Diggler
04-12-2010, 10:11 PM
JDG took too big of a step down in coming to the worst team in MLS from a mid-table club in La Liga. He should have signed with some team in Netherlands or France instead. There is just too much to adjust to in terms of the quality (or lack there of) of his team mates. Also, it does not help that it seems he thought he would be able to walk into the locker room and own the team like Beckham did in LA simply because he has such superior pedigree compared to everyone else. Let's just hope that he quickly regains the form that made him good enough to play in La Liga because there is certainly no doubting the fact that the guy is indeed talented and can be a tremendous asset.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-12-2010, 11:10 PM
yeah i kinda agree that teh adjustment for him will be major, there are times when you see clearly the pass hes trying to make and noone is there to get it. I do think he will be good once the team starts to gel and he understands teh quality of the league. No he wont score 5 goals but he was never a goal scorer

Monk
04-13-2010, 09:03 AM
Well Lets start with the fact that I don't think Preki has a clue how to properly utilise him. He wants JDG to score more goals. He wants him to be an attacking midfielder, which he is not. Doesn't take much to figure out that tactically mismanaged teams don't exactly bring out the best in players.

Pachuco
04-13-2010, 09:08 AM
Well Lets start with the fact that I don't think Preki has a clue how to properly utilise him. He wants JDG to score more goals. He wants him to be an attacking midfielder, which he is not. Doesn't take much to figure out that tactically mismanaged teams don't exactly bring out the best in players.

Ummm...JDG was used by Cummins as a defensive midfielder. He didn't do any better there. There were lots of complaints by people that they wanted to see JDG as an attacking midfielder. Personally, he is good enough to do both jobs (looks at Deportivo and CMNT). Unfortunately, with TFC, he hasn't done much.

Shaughno
04-13-2010, 09:11 AM
Ummm...JDG was used by Cummins as a defensive midfielder. He didn't do any better there. There were lots of complaints by people that they wanted to see JDG as an attacking midfielder. Personally, he is good enough to do both jobs (looks at Deportivo and CMNT). Unfortunately, with TFC, he hasn't done much.

I think that's what's frustrating for me. I see the quality in JDG, it's still there... but it's like he doesn't care to try and help his teammates sometimes. Almost as if within the first 5-10 mins of playing he gives up on the team because they aren't getting on the end of his passes...

Bluenose13
04-13-2010, 09:18 AM
I think that's what's frustrating for me. I see the quality in JDG, it's still there... but it's like he doesn't care to try and help his teammates sometimes. Almost as if within the first 5-10 mins of playing he gives up on the team because they aren't getting on the end of his passes...I think that's a bit harsh. I am sure he feels the pressure of being the highest paid player on the team & being a competitor he wants this team to succeed as much as we do. I think he will really benefit when the starting line up starts to stabilze & players can get on the same page.

Chevy
04-13-2010, 09:22 AM
To be fair to JDG (and all our mids for that matter), when you have a back four that has been as weak as ours, it really stretches the field for them.

The D's have been either scrambling and disorganized inside our own end, or hoofin' it up the field in a panic when they actually gain control. That type of play takes the mids out of the game - they are either buried at the back helping defend, or chasing long balls.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-13-2010, 09:22 AM
I think he will really benefit when the starting line up starts to stabilze & players can get on the same page.

you and me both

Shaughno
04-13-2010, 09:35 AM
I think that's a bit harsh. I am sure he feels the pressure of being the highest paid player on the team & being a competitor he wants this team to succeed as much as we do. I think he will really benefit when the starting line up starts to stabilze & players can get on the same page.

You may be right, I'm just calling it like I see it. He seems to start off with his head in the game and then either gets frustrated or fed up, I'm not sure which.

Gixmo
04-13-2010, 09:41 AM
You may be right, I'm just calling it like I see it. He seems to start off with his head in the game and then either gets frustrated or fed up, I'm not sure which.

I certainly don't think your assertion is far off, however I do give the benefit of the doubt that when the starting 11 is established we may see an incresae in the work rates of those out there, simply by virtue of being on the same page with one and other. It's hard to be fluid when your mates left/right are changing daily.

It's very easy to see JDG getting frustrated though. Hand/Arms a flailing after passes etc.

GlenM
04-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Alright guys,

He looked fine and healthly when I shook his hand at the hotel before he boarded the team bus for the game.

Think Preki was saving him....

He should be in the starting lineup on Thurs you would figure.

:scarf:

GlenM

trane
04-13-2010, 10:17 AM
I think that's what's frustrating for me. I see the quality in JDG, it's still there... but it's like he doesn't care to try and help his teammates sometimes. Almost as if within the first 5-10 mins of playing he gives up on the team because they aren't getting on the end of his passes...

That is exactly what I see as well. At the start of the game he seems OK, he cuts off passes, starts counters, and then passess the ball 1,2,3,4,5,6, times to players that are not there, or who receive the ball but run around like chickenss, then he slows down and seems like he is playing at half speed.

A great defensive mid is not a one way player. A great defensive players stars just ahead of the CB and plays right to say 8 yards from the opposing box. A great defensive mid CAN control the game. However, again having players who do not do much with it is limiting.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-13-2010, 12:39 PM
youre not going to see a great DM because Preki likes both his CMs to be box to box, this too might be a bit for De Guzman to adjust to

English Rachel
04-14-2010, 11:50 AM
where's my Dear JDG thread? I still stand by that...

*waits to be flamed*

Staying positive, for whatever that's worth....

JonO
04-14-2010, 11:52 AM
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/2808640/2/istockphoto_2808640-battery-aa-positive.jpg