PDA

View Full Version : Who Could Replace Mo??

SteeltownBhoy
04-11-2010, 08:26 AM
I've always said tht I would sleep for a night befor giving a knee jerk reaction to TFC shitting the bed, you know always look on the bright side
thing.

But for the first time I see nothing to ease my worried mind. I really believe this team is worse or has the potentional to be worse then year 1.

And that must be hung on the manager.

So with the accepted premise Mo must go, who could replace him??

So I thought, what about Paul James. Successful former National team player who has run some of the most successful Intercollegiate programs in Canada.

What do you guys think?? Any othe realistic choices?? pLease don't say "IT"

Chevy
04-11-2010, 08:29 AM
ummm...our assistant GM of course!

SteeltownBhoy
04-11-2010, 08:33 AM
lol, I think the media would get to love Jimmy B. I don't think there would be a dull moment.

wzhxvy
04-11-2010, 08:59 AM
Jimmy B would make Mo look like a genius. He should be fired by association and for lying to us about this reasons for his retirement. I hope whoever replaces MO fires him quickly as well for being an opportunist and signing this deal with the devil.

DOMIN8R
04-11-2010, 09:02 AM
Jimmy's not ready. This is a complicated league. If we want results anytime soon, we have to find a veteran MLS insider to complement their ability to find talent and negotiate good deals, etc.

Krasno.pL.
04-11-2010, 09:02 AM
This is not York. lol :)
Im just not a fan of James.. Trained a few times with him.. Ego problems

SteeltownBhoy
04-11-2010, 09:07 AM
This is not York. lol :)

I agree it's not York, but then I never thought anyone without management experience would be in the front office. Even if he is only fetching Mo's whiskey!!

Krasno.pL.
04-11-2010, 09:08 AM
LOl agreed there ^

Alixir
04-11-2010, 09:17 AM
I would have to go as far to say a bag of wet hay would probably do a better job then Mo.

canadian_bhoy
04-11-2010, 09:21 AM
Fire mo, ride out the season with an interim (pricki) then at the end of the year, drive a truck full of mo dy to Steve nicol's house.

Tfc shouldn't wait till we find a replacement. It just gives more time to mo to waste gap space on crap.

Anyone else excited about dickov? No? He's mo's answer to our scoring woes what does that tell you

Beach_Red
04-11-2010, 09:23 AM
It would have to be someone with a big enough reputation to get more than just the job for himself - he'd have to be able to bring in a proper staff and gt the entire front office budget increased.

What was one of the first things Brian Burke said when he took over the Leafs? He was going to have to completely rebuld the scouting department. So, obviously MLSE hadn't given JF jr., the resources to run a proper scouting department - and who knows what else they let collapse.

So, with TFC they obviously didn't jump in with both feet, they've only invested when they've been pressured to, so the GM will need to have some negotiating power to pressure them for more resources. And they seem happy to let whoever is GM (or coach) just use whatever contacts they already have to get players, so it'll need to be someone with a great agent who has great contacts because this organization won't really pay for anything else.

J .
04-11-2010, 09:29 AM
Steve Nicol

ua-kozak_TFC
04-11-2010, 09:32 AM
I've always said tht I would sleep for a night befor giving a knee jerk reaction to TFC shitting the bed, you know always look on the bright side
thing.

But for the first time I see nothing to ease my worried mind. I really believe this team is worse or has the potentional to be worse then year 1.

And that must be hung on the manager.

So with the accepted premise Mo must go, who could replace him??

So I thought, what about Paul James. Successful former National team player who has run some of the most successful Intercollegiate programs in Canada.

What do you guys think?? Any othe realistic choices?? pLease don't say "IT"
I think this is a clear case of addition by substraction. Just by the simple fact of getting rid of him we are ahead of our game. I would just fire him and let preki be the guy who calls the shots ( like in europe and south america) And then just look out for a possible replacement

Beach_Red
04-11-2010, 09:37 AM
Steve Nicol

Maybe. But in order to really have some negotiating power to get the front office into the kind of shape it needs to be in, it might have to be someone who's won an MLS Cup.

Only a GM who'd won a Stanley Cup would have been given the power to actually run the team, and it may be the same here.

Beach_Red
04-11-2010, 09:42 AM
I think this is a clear case of addition by substraction. Just by the simple fact of getting rid of him we are ahead of our game. I would just fire him and let preki be the guy who calls the shots ( like in europe and south america) And then just look out for a possible replacement

Sure, but MLSE is never going to use a European or South American model to run the team. How many people do those guys who call the shots have working for them? What kind of networks do they have around the world? How much does that cost?

But maybe they could poach from another MLS team and just do like Seattle and pay the tampering fine. Of course, they'd have to offer a lot more money than they're paying now...

drewski
04-11-2010, 11:13 AM
What was one of the first things Brian Burke said when he took over the Leafs? He was going to have to completely rebuld the scouting department. So, obviously MLSE hadn't given JF jr., the resources to run a proper scouting department - and who knows what else they let collapse.

or, and I believe this to be the likely case, JFJ had no clue about setting up a proper scouting department.

Pachuco
04-11-2010, 11:16 AM

Preki IS calling the shots. I think that's pretty obvious. I can't wait until we have a team of 11 Garcias.

Davenport
04-11-2010, 11:21 AM
Fukcing anybody who knows anything about football.

I don't get the GM role anyway.

In the rest of footballing world, the manager (coach) is in charge of the team, transfers and building his squad.

Get rid of the useless tosser.

Nuvinho
04-11-2010, 11:24 AM
JFJ or Rob Babcock.

Dirk Diggler
04-11-2010, 11:28 AM

In the rest of footballing world, the manager (coach) is in charge of the team, transfers and building his squad.

We used to have that setup in the Year 1 but then Mo realized that in order to have his job for longer, he needs to become the GM and create a separate head coach position so that he can constantly throw someone under the bus without being held accountable himself.

Davenport
04-11-2010, 11:34 AM
We used to have that setup in the Year 1 but then Mo realized that in order to have his job for longer, he needs to become the GM and create a separate head coach position so that he can constantly throw someone under the bus without being held accountable himself.

Yep, forgot about that.
How the FUKC he got the job and is still in it is beyond me.
Seattle and Philadelphia both have better balanced squads than TFC...with better players

If this doesn't get sorted soon what's left of any enthusiasm will be lost.

Beach_Red
04-11-2010, 11:38 AM
or, and I believe this to be the likely case, JFJ had no clue about setting up a proper scouting department.

So MLSE should have paid Gord Kirk to inteview him before they gave him the job?

If you're right, and the most profitable hockey team in the world hired someone who didn't even know how to set up a scouting department to run the team, doesn't it seem like it's those guys who should be fired?

It's really amazing how MLSE have managed to play the supposedly smart sports fans in this city so that nothing is ever the company's fault and as long as they keep rotating managers people expect things to get better and keep coming back.

King Jeff
04-11-2010, 11:38 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Frank Yallop yet. His position at San Jose must be almost as precarious as Mo's is.

If Yallop's canned first -- I'd make the move for him immediately.

drewski
04-11-2010, 11:41 AM
So MLSE should have paid Gord Kirk to inteview him before they gave him the job?

If you're right, and the most profitable hockey team in the world hired someone who didn't even know how to set up a scouting department to run the team, doesn't it seem like it's those guys who should be fired?

It's really amazing how MLSE have managed to play the supposedly smart sports fans in this city so that nothing is ever the company's fault and as long as they keep rotating managers people expect things to get better and keep coming back.

sure, except they have realized their mistake in his case and did replace him with somebody who does have a clue.

they (a recently remodeled board including Larry Tannenbaum, who is a real sports fan by all accounts) took a chance and it didn't pan out and they canned him. sometimes it works, spectacularly even, sometimes it doesn't. They learned and moved on and got somebody with a track record who was willing to move.

Gazza
04-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Frank Yallop is waiting for the Vancouver Job. Lenarduzzi won't let him go to Toronto.

ag futbol
04-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Let's see ...

maybe

Steve Morrow - former FC Dallas coach. Made the playoffs 2/3 years in charge, knows how to build a real scouting network as opposed to rely on league contacts +first wave. Maybe not the best "coach" but he can GM.

Colin Clarke - coach of PR islanders, best coach in USL 1. Identified a lot of the USL talent you see in MLS today.
Huge Stretch:

John Limniatis - needless to say he'd probably be Preki part II, but you can't argue with results. I'd most likely stay clear but his track record is solid. MTL threw him out prematurely to make room for Marc Dos Santos.

Walter Zenga - played in MLS, apparently wanted to coach in MLS, but was rebuffed. Did a good job at Palermo for my money.

Other than that, you can look for top NCAA coaches, top CONCACAF coaches, or macro level guys who have knowledge of key MLS feeder markets. The idea of "oh we fire Mojo until we have someone to replace him", you're actually assuming Johnston does anything positive for this organization, which he doesn't.

Beach_Red
04-11-2010, 11:50 AM
sure, except they have realized their mistake in his case and did replace him with somebody who does have a clue.

So if Mo,"realizes his mistake," he can have another chance? Sorry, they've realized far too many mistakes. How many chances do you give them?

It's a very Canadian attitude, though. I work in the TV business and in the US when enough shows flop the network execs get fired. In Canada the producers of the shows get fired but the network execs never face any consequences. It's very much like MLSE because the networks are profitable without making any hits of their own, just like these sports teams are profitable without winning any trophies.

drewski
04-11-2010, 11:53 AM
So if Mo,"realizes his mistake," he can have another chance? Sorry, they've realized far too many mistakes. How many chances do you give them?

no, cause Mo isn't the position that "realizes their mistake", MLSE is. They have to realize their mistake (and soon), fire mo and bring somebody in with a clue.

Beach_Red
04-11-2010, 12:01 PM
no, cause Mo isn't the position that "realizes their mistake", MLSE is. They have to realize their mistake (and soon), fire mo and bring somebody in with a clue.

You have way more faith in them than I do. What's that faith based on? That they hired Brian Burke, the most obvious choice? I'm still in shock they needed a search committee to come up with that.

When Anselmi made that joke at the press conference about, "Mo squirming," and it was obvious that even with all three teams playing like shit Anselmi wasn't squirming at all it told me a lot about the culture in the executive suites at MLSE. Until that culture changes, they're just rearranging the chairs on the Titanic. Can that culture change with the same people in those jobs?

SteeltownBhoy
04-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Never thought abou Frank Yallop as manager. He would have good connections and certainly knows the Canadian soccer landscape. Vancouver seems pretty set with it's front office, but maybe Montreal would poach him. Ya know the more I think about this the more I like it!!!

fetajr
04-11-2010, 12:52 PM
My Dad

flambe
04-11-2010, 01:20 PM
V7__SWWSaGM

These guys could do a better job than Mo and Friends

ua-kozak_TFC
04-11-2010, 01:42 PM
My friend you hit the nail over the head!!! I;ve been saying this since season 2... (when dissing mo was not very popular)
Mo is completely clueless when it comes to building a team. All he does is just looks up for guys with something to show.. "played w messi", "played for newcastle", blah blah blah. Just to give the fans hope and buy time, and then blame injuries.. small cap, internationals, etc... And all he cares about is MONEY! and he'll do anything to get what he wants. People often confuse GREAT players and think that automatically they can be GREAT coaches/ managers/ and have a great knowledge of what it takes to WIN! Thisis RARELY the case!!! ANd pedigree as a player is not a good predictor of ability as a coach. Great example of no names that are great coaches and manger Sigi Schmit... and more importantly Jose Mourinhio...
So name isn;t what raelly matter... just as long he has shown to be successful and to know what he is doing... he must be familiar to the league somewhat.

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-11-2010, 02:05 PM
Some interesting ideas, Paul James had occurred to me too. Thing is TFC is stuck with Mo for the moment, like him or hate him, it's to late to bring in a GM with the transfer window about to close.

tfcmanu
04-12-2010, 12:19 AM
Bob Stellic.......HAHA....Paul James - coach.......Preki - Gm

fetajr
04-12-2010, 08:52 AM
PREKI..let him run the whole show and fire whoever he needs to fire

nascarguy
04-12-2010, 04:11 PM

mo was our coach for one year