PDA

View Full Version : Onward! -- 3000 words about fixing TFC

Ben Knight
04-11-2010, 07:27 AM
Because someone in the media had to say it:

http://onwardsoccer.com/?p=1974

onemanbarmyarmy
04-11-2010, 07:32 AM
Did you just type "Lose Garcia" 1500 times?

I responded before I checked the link.

felipe
04-11-2010, 07:50 AM
Wait! We're only on year four of the five year plan!

London
04-11-2010, 08:11 AM
gold!!!!!

tfc2007
04-11-2010, 08:21 AM
Very childish from a member of the media. I would expect something with more insight. If I wanted to read that I'd just go to the Mo must go thread.

shaggingscot
04-11-2010, 08:33 AM
Very childish from a member of the media. I would expect something with more insight. If I wanted to read that I'd just go to the Mo must go thread.

Agreed, that sort of nonsense should be below a member of the media.

wzhxvy
04-11-2010, 08:56 AM
Did you read Ben's response ? Why are you not asking the members of the media to report the truth vs. the BS we have been given. Good one Ben.

gtaguy
04-11-2010, 09:00 AM

well written and very insightful.. Took the words right out of my mouth

:hurray:

BASE
04-11-2010, 09:00 AM
Ben,

Not to be anal, but you forgot the exclamation mark after each sentence!!!! Its Mo must go! Not Mo must go. Get it right next time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shaggingscot
04-11-2010, 09:05 AM
Did you read Ben's response ? Why are you not asking the members of the media to report the truth vs. the BS we have been given. Good one Ben.

Yes...usually I like his stuff, in fact his previous piece was good. However this bordered on message board nonsense, he's better than that and he knows it.

As far as the rest of the media....bah couldn't give a shit. Most of them haven't kicked a football let alone understand the game.

tfc2007
04-11-2010, 09:07 AM
But why not leave the repediative Mo must go up to people on forums. I understand he is a fan, but he's a fan with a little more influence. If he wrote a compelling argument over why month sucks, then that would be even better. He is a member of the media, saying what the fans know is true, but putting it in a way that others would take more serious.

wzhxvy
04-11-2010, 09:10 AM
Seriously guys, you think a reasoned argument will work here ?? You are talking to people who secretly extended this man's contract last year. What works here is the threat of this house of cards coming down on their heads, thats the only way they will react.

Cashcleaner
04-11-2010, 09:12 AM
For Ben:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/V3plvX2eRqf977jlJUOeGghwo1_400.gif

And to respond to tfc2007's and shaggingscot's posts. Ben's blog entry is exactly what we've been needing to hear from the media for quite some time now.

Childish? Immature? Perhaps. But also incredibly succinct and undoubtedly valid. This club has been given so much to ensure the creation of a winning team. We have supporters that have well and truly set a new standard throughout the league in terms of passion and dedication. We have a stadium with new grass installed because of the demand from players and fans alike. The owners are rolling in cash brought in by the second-highest grossing team in the league.

But still we are left in a situation where the big shots are called by a guy who is clearly out of touch with the realities of the sport we're facing today and doesn't seem to have any solid plan to build the team we all believe we should have. Toronto FC SHOULD by all accounts, be as much a success on the field as it is off it, but we can all concede that's simply not the case here.

shaggingscot
04-11-2010, 09:17 AM
Seriously guys, you think a reasoned argument will work here ?? You are talking to people who secretly extended this man's contract last year. What works here is the threat of this house of cards coming down on their heads, thats the only way they will react.

He could have said once Moe must go, then go on to state what we all know will happen if he doesn't. The support will stop showing up, the demand for scalper and game day tickets will dry up. Stated that the support is more knowledgeable about the game than MLSE realise, but why do that when you can cut and paste something and avoid a reasoned well thought out response. Fan or not it's not responsible journalism, it's the truth but he should be above that.

shaggingscot
04-11-2010, 09:19 AM
For Ben:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/V3plvX2eRqf977jlJUOeGghwo1_400.gif

And to respond to tfc2007's and shaggingscot's posts. Ben's blog entry is exactly what we've been needing to hear from the media for quite some time now.

Childish? Immature? Perhaps. But also incredibly succinct and undoubtedly valid. This club has been given so much to ensure the creation of a winning team. We have supporters that have well and truly set a new standard throughout the league in terms of passion and dedication. We have a stadium with new grass installed because of the demand from players and fans alike. The owners are rolling in cash brought in by the second-highest grossing team in the league.

But still we are left in a situation where the big shots are called by a guy who is clearly out of touch with the realities of the sport we're facing today and doesn't seem to have any solid plan to build the team we all believe we should have. Toronto FC SHOULD by all accounts, be as much a success on the field as it is off it, but we can all concede that's simply not the case here.

I agree with him that Moe needs to go but do you really think MLSE would read that and look upon as responsible journalism? It's childish nothing more.

ensco
04-11-2010, 09:19 AM
It's not enough. Anselmi/Peddie have no ability to hire the right person (s) to replace Mo. Nobody will work for the MLSE circus absent a ridiculous contract that makes the execs irrelevant.

Anselmi and Peddie must go.

tfc2007
04-11-2010, 09:20 AM
But I do agree someone in the Media needed to make it clear that Mo is a failure, but instead of looking like a 15 year old kid with a blog why not show some insight and say Mo sucks because of this, this and this. Mo needs to be let go because of this, this and this. Mo's replacement should be this guy, this guy or this guy.

Everyone knows Mo needs to go, why not provide some insight and a solution. Everyone knows the problem, no one has really stated a solution other than firing Mo. Thats great, but who replaces him?

That is more along the lines I would of something I would expect from a member of the media, and a bloger who is asking for donations on the side of his page. Give us something worth paying for.

tfc2007
04-11-2010, 09:23 AM
It's not enough. Anselmi/Peddie have no ability to hire the right person (s) to replace Mo. Nobody will work for the MLSE circus absent a ridiculous contract that makes the execs irrelevant.

This would help out every MLSE team...
but i guess we can leave that to another thread.

Ben Knight
04-11-2010, 09:38 AM
tfc2007: See Friday's Onward! -- http://onwardsoccer.com/?p=1967

Beach_Red
04-11-2010, 09:53 AM

Well, I've been saying this for a long time, so it looks good to see someone else say it.

Whatever people think of Mo (or thought of him before he even started) it's seems pretty clear that this team has been run on the cheap. MLSE have gotten exactly what they've paid for.

No one will work for MLSE unless, as you say, they get a rediculous contract, one that would include probably a much bigger staff and more expensive front office and so on.

But why would MLSE spend the money when they could just get another cheap GM? Or even better, gt Prki to do both jobs for the smesalar. It would shut up the fans fo he whole season and save a lot of money. I bet the memo has already been written.

Ben Knight
04-11-2010, 10:05 AM
I don't think MLSE is being cheap at all. They've poured money into grass turf, soccer facilities around Toronto, a new north grandstand, Dwayne de Rosario and Jonathan de Guzman. After that, an obscenely tight salary cap ties their hands quite firmly, thanks.

Problem is, Mo has got MLSE hornswoggled, as did Ken Dryden and Rob Babcock before him.

MLSE are confused -- and confusing. But it's not really fair to call them cheap.

torontocelt
04-11-2010, 10:14 AM
He could have said once Moe must go, then go on to state what we all know will happen if he doesn't. The support will stop showing up, the demand for scalper and game day tickets will dry up. Stated that the support is more knowledgeable about the game than MLSE realise, but why do that when you can cut and paste something and avoid a reasoned well thought out response. Fan or not it's not responsible journalism, it's the truth but he should be above that.

Realistically how many people would give up their season tickets at the end of the season if the team does not improve? I would keep mine regardless but I would be looking to move down in value. Even then there are till people who want seasons so the club could still be okay for a few years despite the pile of crap on the field and the piss poor results. Hopefully if this season is crap the MLSE will freeze or reduce ticket prices but to be honest I think I am being very hopeful to think that.

Greg
04-11-2010, 10:14 AM
I don't think MLSE is being cheap at all. They've poured money into grass turf, soccer facilities around Toronto, a new north grandstand, Dwayne de Rosario and Jonathan de Guzman. After that, an obscenely tight salary cap ties their hands quite firmly, thanks.

Problem is, Mo has got MLSE hornswoggled, as did Ken Dryden and Rob Babcock before him.

MLSE are confused -- and confusing. But it's not really fair to call them cheap.

Julian?

Pachuco
04-11-2010, 10:15 AM
Well, I've been saying this for a long time, so it looks good to see someone else say it.

Whatever people think of Mo (or thought of him before he even started) it's seems pretty clear that this team has been run on the cheap. MLSE have gotten exactly what they've paid for.

No one will work for MLSE unless, as you say, they get a rediculous contract, one that would include probably a much bigger staff and more expensive front office and so on.

But why would MLSE spend the money when they could just get another cheap GM? Or even better, gt Prki to do both jobs for the smesalar. It would shut up the fans fo he whole season and save a lot of money. I bet the memo has already been written.

Well, I think it's common knowledge that Preki has been responsible for alot of the moves that have happened since he got here. Believe me, that's not to say Mo must not go. He surely is incompetent, but proposing that Preki runs this team from that perspective could very well he a disaster. I mean, who else is responsible for playing Garcia?

Ben Knight
04-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Of course, that should have read Julian.

Wishful thinking on my part.

:-)

Beach_Red
04-11-2010, 10:35 AM

When we see the same thing over and over - Mo, Ken Dryden, Babcock, all these guys have MLSE hornswogled? (good word, by the way) Maybe we need to consider it's MLSE doing the hornswoggling (not sure if that's a word).

When the pressure looks to be just about to boil over, they spend a little. Grass is the perfect example, there were dozens of excuses - its the city, it's the Ex Board of Diectors, it's the province, and on and on. Seattle get a DP before they play a game, but TFC needs to wait. Why?

MLSE is not confused, they are master hornswogglers - no one is hornswoggling them, we're the ones getting horswoggled.

trane
04-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Wait! We're only on year four of the five year plan!

Hahhaha, Rocker is that you?

drewski
04-11-2010, 11:08 AM

Their job is to hire people to do the job and give them rope with which to work. Its obvious Mo has decided to hang himself with and its time for MLSE to remove him. If they don't within a reasonable period of time, I'll jump on the anti-MLSE bandwagon, but for now I'm gonna stick with

MO MUST GO!

CretanBull
04-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Great article. Like any good piece it goes right to the heart of the matter.

TFCREDNWHITE
04-11-2010, 11:28 AM
i know he must go.....but the leafs have sucked for a really long time, what makes u think that its gonna turn around??

ilikemusic
04-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Ive been saying this since year one.

SteeltownBhoy
04-11-2010, 02:38 PM
Yes...usually I like his stuff, in fact his previous piece was good. However this bordered on message board nonsense, he's better than that and he knows it.

As far as the rest of the media....bah couldn't give a shit. Most of them haven't kicked a football let alone understand the game.

This was nonsense. Ben you have done some very good writing in the past, but to be honest if this was a RPB THREAD IT WOULD HAVE BEEN CLOSED!!

I have donated to your Blog because I feel it's important to support you and other footie writers, but please no more Sh*t That stuff I can find on fan forums anywhere.

I do enjoy your Blog, look forward to your next piece of writing, which I'm sure will be articulate and thought provoking!!

TorontoBlades
04-11-2010, 03:52 PM
this is what you've been reduced to Ben....not even long posts anymore, just short ones over and over

try backing it up with something if you're gonna call it a blog

Shakes McQueen
04-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Couldn't have said it better. All of the SG's need to put their full weight behind the movement to get Mo sacked - meaning protests at every home game.

Let's do that "pink slip" idea at every single game. Make sure MLSE get the point. Make a huge, section-wide black and white banner that just says "FIRE MO" and unveil it at every single game.

- Scott

jloome
04-11-2010, 06:30 PM

I believe you mean "someone else."

rocker
04-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Hahhaha, Rocker is that you?

whoa, referencing me in a thread where I didn't even post!

I'm on your mind eh? ;)

ensco
04-11-2010, 08:56 PM
But there's no way that Anselmi and Peddie go. The nature of the MLSE beast is such that company value is king. As long as people are buying condos next to ACC and drinking $10 beers at that new megabar, these guys get to keep their job. The only way this changes if the fans stop going and the franchise values are hurt. I'm not sure it's wrong to hand out a ridiculous contract to run the soccer side, it just has to be the right person. Prior to Colangelo-Burke everyone complained endlessly about Peddie's meddling in the teams. We want these guys to be irrelevant. All they have to do is set the tone and keep the guys accountable. Unfortunately they haven't even done that. Instead of setting a goal of winning the MLS Cup right from the start, they said maybe we can win 7 games. That set the tone.

I'll bet the Seattle guys said let's go for the MLS Cup right from the start. So they hired Sigi Schmid, Casey Keller and Freddy Ljunberg before they kicked the first ball. We need that type of ownership.

Actually, I bet they're gone soon. Peddie will be forced out for sure anyway. Bet on it. The old "pursuing other interests, I want to go out on top, blah blah blah" is coming.

Not because of TFC. Leafs and Raptors competitive situations are dire and starting to significantly affect revenues.

ensco
04-11-2010, 09:43 PM
We can agree to disagree on this one. Peddie has been there since the start of the Raptors with Tanenbaum. The value of MLSE has multiplied over the years. He's got to retire someday but getting forced out now I doubt that very much, things would have to get much worse. On the competitive front, he can say he's hired guys with great track records for Leafs/Raptors they just didn't deliver yet.

Not an unreasonable position.

But I'd point out that the MLSE value increase was mostly the result of inflation (there was not much if any relative outperformance, all they did was raise ticket prices and rights fees, same as everyone else) and has actually declined over the last five years.

Value looks ready to go off a cliff, imho. This summer, with Bosh probably gone and the Bruins probably picking in top 2 overall, will make the TFC offseason look like a picnic.

Chewy Unikronik
04-11-2010, 10:01 PM
Wow people... Take yourselves too seriously much?

This was nonsense. Ben you have done some very good writing in the past, but to be honest if this was a RPB THREAD IT WOULD HAVE BEEN CLOSED!!

I have donated to your Blog because I feel it's important to support you and other footie writers, but please no more Sh*t That stuff I can find on fan forums anywhere.

I do enjoy your Blog, look forward to your next piece of writing, which I'm sure will be articulate and thought provoking!!

this is what you've been reduced to Ben....not even long posts anymore, just short ones over and over

try backing it up with something if you're gonna call it a blog
Main Entry: blog
Part of Speech: n
Definition: an online diary; a personal chronological log of thoughts published on a Web page

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-11-2010, 11:22 PM
^ I agree with SteeltownBhoy and TorontoBlades, Ben's recent piece lacks any insight and humour. I like the whole "It's Called Football" gang, but their at their worst when they're trying to be funny.

Yagbod
04-11-2010, 11:41 PM
The sad part is that if Mo goes this year someone else will come in and try to make a 'statement' and while that might be good in the long run it will just add to the ever spinning rotation of players for this club. Every club needs stability. So I say fire Mo now anyway. He needs to go as soon as possible. Like before he trades our first round pick for a Kessel and comes in last anyway... oh wait...

sashavukelich
04-12-2010, 08:37 AM
It's incredible seeing how reactionary people are being. Columbus (with Warzychaw) last year didn't win their first 9 games, it took time to bed in his philosophy...

incredible amounts of childish name-calling and everything on here. I'm a season ticket holder and have sat in section 114 since the beginning. Some of the people here spout incredible amounts of BS and have clearly joined a band wagon for a sport they don't know a lot about.

Give Preki time.....this is CLEARLY mo's last season, Anselmi made that very clear at the interview he gave @ the MLS Cup Match Presentation.

Oldtimer
04-12-2010, 08:51 AM
Give Preki time.....this is CLEARLY mo's last season, Anselmi made that very clear at the interview he gave @ the MLS Cup Match Presentation.

I don't think it was at all clear. It seemed to be that if the team doesn't make the playoffs, Mo will be held accountable.

Redcoe15
04-12-2010, 09:15 AM
Spot on Ben. Although you could have added another 3000 words to describe Garcia as well.

Beach_Red
04-12-2010, 09:30 AM
I don't think it was at all clear. It seemed to be that if the team doesn't make the playoffs, Mo will be held accountable.

Even then, the only person saying he'll be gone if they don't make the playoffs is Mo. It's not like anyone else in that organization seems to care if any of their teams make the playoffs, certainly no one ever puts their own job on the line over it.

mastermixer
04-12-2010, 09:45 AM
But there's no way that Anselmi and Peddie go. The nature of the MLSE beast is such that company value is king. As long as people are buying condos next to ACC and drinking $10 beers at that new megabar, these guys get to keep their job. The only way this changes if the fans stop going and the franchise values are hurt. I'm not sure it's wrong to hand out a ridiculous contract to run the soccer side, it just has to be the right person. Prior to Colangelo-Burke everyone complained endlessly about Peddie's meddling in the teams. We want these guys to be irrelevant. All they have to do is set the tone and keep the guys accountable. Unfortunately they haven't even done that. Instead of setting a goal of winning the MLS Cup right from the start, they said maybe we can win 7 games. That set the tone.

I'll bet the Seattle guys said let's go for the MLS Cup right from the start. So they hired Sigi Schmid, Casey Keller and Freddy Ljunberg before they kicked the first ball. We need that type of ownership.

Franchise values are hurt. I went to the Raptors game yesterday which had playoff like hype and it was not sold out. I can almost guarantee if TFC fails to play professional soccer sometime soon you will be seeing a lot of empty seats 4 or 5 home games into the season.

Ben Knight
04-13-2010, 08:31 AM
Here's my follow-up:

http://onwardsoccer.com/?p=1983