PDA

View Full Version : Home Grown Players

rocker
04-08-2010, 06:40 PM
MLS announced the home grown player rules.

-------------------------------------------

MLS Increases Roster Size to 26 to Allow for More Home Grown Players (http://www.mlssoccer.com/content/mls-expands-roster-encourage-youth-development)

Nuvinho
04-08-2010, 06:50 PM
So the 4 players we have now who fit into this categories are:

Frei, Ibby, Herold, and Gala (league min. salary).

rocker
04-08-2010, 06:53 PM
ya.. i wonder if any in the academy are ready for spots 25 and 26? $31,250 is not bad for a teen. Since it's free, and you can sign 4 per year, it's worth a crack to sign 2 and see what they've got. If those 2 don't work out, then you can sign another 2. it would be a great experience for a kid, and also a great carrot to dangle in front of the academy boys.

jabbronies
04-08-2010, 06:53 PM

I'm confused? how do they fit in?

Nuvinho
04-08-2010, 06:54 PM
I'm confused? how do they fit in?

Frei, Ibby, and Herold are GAs

Gala is the league min. so it won't count towards the cap.

DichioTFC
04-08-2010, 07:01 PM
^ $2.55M / 20 players = $127K per person

that seems reasonable, we could have a squad full of $100K players and it could be a skilled squad.

with DP DeGuz ($400K), Barrett ($200K), DeRo ($350K), Garcia ($200K) [and including Brennan ($200K) and Gerba ($150K) who are probably still on the books]:
$1.05M / 14 = $75K per person

Considering that OBW, Frei, Nana, and Cronin combine to $183K:
$867K / 10 = $86K per person

we could have some quality role players for that price.

i'm aware that my math might be off because of holdover factors like Wynne and Serioux, but still, not too bad, eh?

DichioTFC
04-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Frei isnt a GA anymore, our only GA is Zac

Jack
04-08-2010, 07:03 PM
LOL how many players do we even have on our roster right now?

Nuvinho
04-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Frei isnt a GA anymore, our only GA is Zac

Frei is GA - It was said around the Superdraft time

Ibbe is GA - If he wasn't I highly doubt he'd still be with the team.

Nuvinho
04-08-2010, 07:05 PM
LOL how many players do we even have on our roster right now?

hopefully enough for a starting lineup on saturday....the good news is that we'll have 2 backup goalies ;)

Jack
04-08-2010, 07:07 PM
I count 15 players who are eligible to play (with Herold being hurt), on the TFC website.

So we're only short 10 on the roster.

Nodoubtguy
04-08-2010, 07:09 PM
I count 15 players who are eligible to play (with Herold being hurt), on the TFC website.

Thats why I'm bring my boots and kit to Boston......enough cards and injuries and I'm on the pitch!

Nuvinho
04-08-2010, 07:10 PM
^ TFC like to sign players the day before a game (remember Saric), so hopefully a few guys are signed tomorrow.

DichioTFC
04-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Frei is GA - It was said around the Superdraft time

Ibbe is GA - If he wasn't I highly doubt he'd still be with the team.

Check the roster on the TFC website. Zac is our only GA.

DichioTFC
04-08-2010, 07:11 PM

But on the bright side, we can field a 7 v. 7 scrimmage with Garcia as a ref
:D

Nuvinho
04-08-2010, 07:12 PM
Check the roster on the TFC website. Zac is our only GA.

don't trust the MLS website. It says Chad Barrett is the only player on our team to play in the MLS before (his previous team).

the MLS rosters say that Teal Bunbury and Ike Opara aren't GAs either. Nothing is correct on the new site...haha!!

DichioTFC
04-08-2010, 07:18 PM
don't trust the MLS website. It says Chad Barrett is the only player on our team to play in the MLS before (his previous team).

the MLS rosters say that Teal Bunbury and Ike Opara aren't GAs either. Nothing is correct on the new site...haha!!

did a little bit of research, 2 years appears to be the threshold for graduating from GA status... so Frei might possibly still be a GA, Zac is definitely a GA, but Ibby (2007) is definitely not a GA any more.. but he did make $67K last year (more than Cronin, Nana.. as much as Frei)

jloome
04-08-2010, 07:26 PM
did a little bit of research, 2 years appears to be the threshold for graduating from GA status... so Frei might possibly still be a GA, Zac is definitely a GA, but Ibby (2007) is definitely not a GA any more.. but he did make $67K last year (more than Cronin, Nana.. as much as Frei)

Frei is a GA. Ives Galarcep had an item on his blog around draft time on the fact that, somehow, Frei is still there

rocker
04-08-2010, 07:40 PM
no, there's no automatic graduation after 2 years on a GA. Some of these guys are signed to 4-6 year GA contracts. If the competition committee thinks he's played too much, then he's graduated.

the Frei thing was weird, because he wasn't graduated (as mentioned above). So obviously TFC made some case as to why he shouldn't be graduated... who knows why not.

Ibby's had 3 years in GA. he's only played 18 games in the previous 3 seasons. I doubt he's graduated.

menefreghista
04-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Frei remains a GA player as a way for the league to help Mo Johnston and his poor cap management. MLS did us a nice little favour there.

Rudi
04-08-2010, 08:34 PM

Joseph Nane was signed to league minimum as well, so he'd count as a "protected" player.

denime
04-08-2010, 08:47 PM

Do a little bit more research,since the one you did is not good enough.
GA contracts are all different.Kid that came back from England last month signed 7 years GA contract with MLS and now he is in RSL.

Do you really think Ibby would be still around if he wasn't GA?

:search::google: :D

Red CB Toronto
04-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Does anyone know for sure when is the criteria for graduation from GA status?

It will be interesting to see if academy players actually sign for home grown money, I wonder if a kid is on the fence about signing and you offer say $40,000 or more can you do that or can they just sign for $31,250.

I am looking forward to seeing Jo Jo Nane on the pitch

DichioTFC
04-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Do a little bit more research,since the one you did is not good enough.
GA contracts are all different.Kid that came back from England last month signed 7 years GA contract with MLS and now he is in RSL.

Do you really think Ibby would be still around if he wasn't GA?

:search::google: :D

Have you met the "Director of Soccer" for TFC?
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2236/2235149750_64007abe9f_o.jpg

And I never said I did comprehensive research, I did literally a little bit of research.... specifically the average number of years some GA players graduate from their GA status. Let's see you find something concrete about who is currently a GA player and whose contracts have expired.

JonO
04-08-2010, 08:53 PM

You had me confused for a bit. By "this" category I assume you mean "protected" players. I was a little thrown because the title relates to home grown players and I thought I had too much :drinking:

DichioTFC
04-08-2010, 09:00 PM
You had me confused for a bit. By "this" category I assume you mean "protected" players. I was a little thrown because the title relates to home grown players and I thought I had too much :drinking:

Its never "too much" :D

rocker
04-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Does anyone know for sure when is the criteria for graduation from GA status?

People have tried to deduce what the exact criteria are (games played or whatever).. there was a blogger once who took all the GA graduates and tried to determine what commonalities they had. but the results were not clear, and the Frei case shows the subjectivity of the process. I do know there's a competition committee that reviews these players every year. Somehow Frei made it through unscathed.

But I have definitely seen guys sit on GA contracts for many years without graduating, because they play so few games.

That GA is pretty sweet cash. Ibby is pulling in over 100K a year hardly playing. I hope he develops cuz right now he's not lived up to that kind of money.

T_Mizz
04-08-2010, 10:50 PM
So is there any reason not to sign two academy players now? Is it now just on whether or not they want to sign? Surely there's one or two kids who could be worth signing.

oxygenatedbrain
04-08-2010, 11:32 PM
Let's see you find something concrete about who is currently a GA player and whose contracts have expired.

Alston, Kevin
Beltran, Tony
Gonzalez, Omar
Hall, Jeremy
Igwe, Amaechi
Nyarko, Patrick
Seitz, Chris
Wallace, Anthony
Wallace, Rodney
Zakuani, Steve

1. I'll let you do some more research and find out what teams they play for.
2. The contracts haven't expired; the players are no longer cap exempt.
Marvell, for instance, is still on his GA deal, which was a six year contract- check out how little base and how much bonus he gets. These guys may still go to Spain with the GA tour in the winter...Wynne did until the year before last, I believe.

[NBF]
04-08-2010, 11:39 PM
Im sure in 2011, the homegrown player rule will be a mix of U.S.A and Canadian players for Canadian teams and then 7 internationals player spots.

This Canadian theme at TFC is officially dead. Now it's just a schtick.

rocker
04-09-2010, 12:29 AM
So is there any reason not to sign two academy players now? Is it now just on whether or not they want to sign? Surely there's one or two kids who could be worth signing.

who's been with the academy at least 12 months (minimum time a player must be in the youth system to be signed) and who's good enough? i never watch the academy team so I wouldn't know. i always hear about that allando matheson kid.. it certainly can't hurt to promote him and another guy since it's free. but maybe it's best to see the academy play a bit this spring and letting the kids fight to get a spot.

T_Mizz
04-09-2010, 01:44 AM
^well i think most of the seniors have been there for 2 years and yeah Allando Matheson does seem to have a lot of hype surrounding him.

jloome
04-09-2010, 02:11 AM
^well i think most of the seniors have been there for 2 years and yeah Allando Matheson does seem to have a lot of hype surrounding him.

I thought he'd already accepted a scholarship to play for UConn?

tlear
04-09-2010, 07:06 AM
So we can sign 2 academy players and give them GA contracts.. thats like 100k a year each? Thats awesome news for long term player development. If I understand this right this is a great move by MLS

Steve
04-09-2010, 08:45 AM
Joseph Nane was signed to league minimum as well, so he'd count as a "protected" player.

Not if the other 4 are. It said specifically that there are 4 spots available for
"protected" players (meaning not counting against the cap). That could be Gen Addidas or league minimum. There are two additional spots that can only be home grown players though. So, right now we would probably have 4 people on the protected list (it doesn't really matter who for the min salary guys) and no one on the home grown list (yet).

I do agree though that it's a great move by MLS. Not only are they saying you can sign up to 4 players a year from your academy without having to draft them (huge if you have a great academy) but having 2 not count against the cap, and giving the team owners a bigger piece of the pie for selling them is also a great move. It means the owners now have a larger financial incentive to pump money into their academy, which can only be good for everyone.

Great move by MLS, let's hope it pays off.

Ben - D.O.W.
04-09-2010, 08:51 AM
I agree this is an excellent move by the league. Anyone else think it's coming into place now as a big concession to Vancouver next year and the academy they have set up?

Macksam
04-09-2010, 08:59 AM
Yeah, Vancouver has alot to do with this.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-09-2010, 09:13 AM

och, i hope this isnt a regular thing, id hate for us to help out players then they sign with the NCAA and go through the draft to play for someone else

hodgkiss
04-09-2010, 09:56 AM
here's a question... can we sign a player (like matheson) before he goes to school? that way when he's done and (hopefully develops more) at uni level, we still own his rights? this way, we wouldn't have to pay his salary but we would own him for when he is ready to play and we get around the fact that we would have to "draft" him - potentially letting another team pick him up that may be higher in the draft order.

this would be a great way to secure talent (older than academy players but younger than a ncaa graduate)

if this was possible, it would be great to sign a few players like this... and if they stink after college, you can just release them.

T_Mizz
04-09-2010, 10:40 AM
Yeah I don't doubt that most players in the academy are looking towards the NCAA, especially as when they're the age that we'd want to sign them, they're going to be going off to university. This was a concern of mine but at the same time I remember a few years back there was a kid from the Red Bulls system that was also playing in the NCAA that they were thinking about signing but opted not to and he entered the draft. I'm hoping we can do something similar.

Oldtimer
04-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Yeah, Vancouver has alot to do with this.

Vancouver has been pushing MLS hard to allow them their academy.

Now with the ability to sign 4 players per year, and get most of the cash from selling their players, Vancouver has preserved their business model (a lot of their income comes from selling players overseas).

FWIW, Vancouver sits on the MLS competition committee, although they are non-voting until they enter the league.

mmmikey
04-09-2010, 01:43 PM
here's a question... can we sign a player (like matheson) before he goes to school? that way when he's done and (hopefully develops more) at uni level, we still own his rights?

nope.. NCAA is pretty strict with their rules and im 99% certain this would mean he was considered a "professional" and therefore, ineligible at the NCAA level.

rocker
04-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Interesting paragraph from the MLS article on this home grown stuff:

The next step is ensuring that the Home Grown players see sufficient game action to continue their development, i.e., by providing a reserve system of some kind.
“That’s the big strategic discussion we’re having this year,” Durbin said. “We recognize the importance of making sure that these players [Home Grown] have appropriate programming. One of the things we’re examining with the technical committee and competition committee is how we solve those issues. One way to do it is to relaunch the Reserve Division. Another way is to form a relationship with the Second Division and have two-way contracts where they’re going back and forth between the two clubs. There are a number of different ideas of how to deal with the games issues. But it’s something that’s important to us and we’re going to address for next year.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/content/mls-expands-roster-encourage-youth-development