PDA

View Full Version : DeRo's the new Captain

Damien
04-08-2010, 10:47 AM
http://twitter.com/LukeWileman/status/11829720048

LukeWileman (http://twitter.com/LukeWileman)
Preki confirms Dwayne De Rosario is the new #torontofc (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23torontofc) captain

boomcha
04-08-2010, 10:51 AM
And rightly so.. who was so hungry for the Voyageurs Cup that he scored 3 goals himself?
DeRo speaks out of his heart and should be our new captain.

Brap Brap!!! Scarborough in da house!

billyfly
04-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Heard this this morning through "my source".

Lucky Strike
04-08-2010, 10:54 AM
It's not really astonishing news. There were really only him and JDG that were serious contenders. And DeRo has more seniority on the team and this also might be a way for management to make it up to him if his claims about "certain things promised to him never came" (read, DP status) are true.

Daveisonfire
04-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Hopefully his confidence, swagger and desire can get motivate this team to do well.

If we are lacking in anything right now, its confidence.

TFC Tifoso
don't necessarily think of him as a leader, but would rather have him as captain as opposed to anyone else on the roster right now....

dupont
Good. No one else would make any sense.

Pachuco
04-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Now, if this was such an easy decision for Preki, why in the world did they not introduce him as captain yesterday in the press conference? When I didn't see a replacement captain yesterday I thought there was no chance Preki was going to make up his mind quickly.

Chevy
04-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Now, if this was such an easy decision for Preki, why in the world did they not introduce him as captain yesterday in the press conference? When I didn't see a replacement captain yesterday I thought there was no chance Preki was going to make up his mind quickly.

Because yesterday was Jimmy's day. No need to announce a new captain before the body is even cold.

drewski
04-08-2010, 11:15 AM

same reason you don't make a big announcement at somebody else's wedding. You save the announcement because you don't want to take away from their big day.

drewski
04-08-2010, 11:18 AM
and congrats to DeRo!

While I don't agree with everything he says off the field, his onfield work is top rate and I trust his behind the scenes work has similar to make him deserving of the captaincy.

tfc2007
04-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Bad choice. Do not agree at all.

GhostKiller
04-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Amazing choice. Agree with it 100%

GhostKiller
04-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Also Dero is the funniest person I follow on twitter

Don Julio
04-08-2010, 12:45 PM
After reading DeVos' blog

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2009/10/what_defines_a_captain.html

I really had more questions about Brennan's success as captain, than concerns about DeRo. I think DeRo will be sink or swim in this capacity, and we should all hope for the best. If he fails, it will be the end of him as a TFC player. I can't see him being stripped of the armband and still playing for us in earnest.

Jack
04-08-2010, 12:47 PM
I want him to succeed and kick ass and take this team by the scruff.

I wish him all the best in this role and I think he has the potential to be a good captain, provided he can keep his head.

Ageroo
04-08-2010, 12:50 PM

I believe in the olden days it was "Radio Shack"........:D

I like a vocal leader like DeRo and guyanese to boot :) Let's just hope he can motivate the boys to bigger and better things on the field.

Belfast_Boy
04-08-2010, 12:56 PM
good luck DeRo, you have a big job on your hands.

menefreghista
04-08-2010, 01:00 PM

Who would you have chosen? The only other suitable player on this roster is DeGuzman.

BFin
04-08-2010, 01:03 PM
If he shuts up I am all for this.

The captain has to be diplomatic, understanding, and control the team. I fear DeRo can't do that because he doesn't control his emotions well.

Joe Kool
04-08-2010, 01:03 PM
http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=1738

atlanticTFCfan
04-08-2010, 01:04 PM
Who would you have chosen? The only other suitable player on this roster is DeGuzman.

I'll bet he would've picked Garcia. :facepalm:

maninb
04-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Now let's see if he'll be more of a TEAM guy...on and off the pitch...

Whoop
04-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Good blog post by DeVos.

reggie
04-08-2010, 01:45 PM
what does your source say about any signings happening soon..

flatpicker
04-08-2010, 01:50 PM

Amazing choice. Agree with it 100%

Totally agree with one of you.

madcow
04-08-2010, 03:15 PM
You want your captain to be a heart and soul type, Dero shows these traits constantly. Plus I like the idea of maintaining a Canadian (by way of Guyana) captain.

Baggio2TFC
04-08-2010, 04:18 PM
:scarf:Just heard it on the Fan 590......Well done FO....first good thing you have done all year!!

Now get someone in here so he can feed them and let's start winning some games here!!!

:scarf::scarf::canada::scarf::scarf:

Ladies Love Julius James
04-08-2010, 04:20 PM
You're a tad late bro LOL already a thread.

Baggio2TFC
04-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Opps...sorry....been stuck inthe house all day.

KiwiRedsFan
04-08-2010, 04:24 PM
wow, so many changes this season. I can't keep up. Anyone please give me q quick rundown on whats been going on? I haven't got enough hours in my day to go through all the threads...

icecoldbeer
04-08-2010, 05:09 PM
wow, so many changes this season. I can't keep up. Anyone please give me q quick rundown on whats been going on? I haven't got enough hours in my day to go through all the threads...

It's better to be a Wellington Phoenix fan. There is the short summary ;)

Redcoe15
04-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Definetly the best choice. If it were anyone else, it wouldn't look good.

If it was Garcia, :mad5:

Gazza
04-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Was Roy Keane ever diplomatic or understanding? He'll speak his mind and so he should. He obviously knows what it takes to win in this league, so he can say whatever the heck he wants if it means getting this team into the playoffs, which will be a hard enough task.

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Good choice, IMO. That is all.

bgnewf
04-09-2010, 03:58 PM
www.tfcpics.com/blog (http://www.tfcpics.com/blog)

Blog post below. if you like what I am doing or wish to leave a comment or rant please feel free to click through on the link above.

Cheers
__________________________________________________ _____________
CAPTAIN MY CAPTAIN - DeRo was the right choice!
And my outlook for TFC v New England Revolution

The decision to appoint Dwayne De Rosario as the new Captain of Toronto FC , succeeding Jim Brennan, was the right thing to do. And Coach Preki did the right thing in announcing the change quickly. God knows there has been enough instability and upheaval lately, and leaving this choice up in the air would have been a huge mistake.

Since his arrival here last season DeRo has been without question our best player and he has been outspoken about issues impacting the club that he has felt strongly about both on and off the field. Whether you agree with him or not he has been a leader and is seen by many fans as the “playing” face of the club. I personally could not be happier with the choice based on the options at hand.

I for one think that in the day of the modern athlete the role of a “Captain” is not what it once was. In years gone by captains not only acted as on field coaches but they acted as de-facto advocates to management about issues impacting the players on the club. Today there are agents and advisors fulfilling these roles and team sports in general is much more individualistic in tone than it used to be.

To me it seems like that for every Paolo Maldini out there, there is a John Terry out there as well. Some are obviously better than others. Captains are often the face of the players to the fans and in this role I think a local boy who plays hard and who leads by example on the pitch is just about the best you can ask for under the circumstances. And I wish him well.

And now onto New England.

As I stated before the Columbus game I would be overjoyed with a draw away from home against the Revs. Perhaps the presence of TFC fans in the high hundreds will be a catalyst for a stronger shoeing by TFC here than what we saw in Columbus. Who knows.

And even with two weeks to prepare the club is still very much a work in progress. Rumours are today that a Lavtian defender has been signed (nothing official from TFC as of this afternoon) and if Mo is to be believed (not sure who believe him fully these days frankly) we may indeed see some new faces tomorrow in Foxboro just like we did in Columbus.

Trying to guess a formation and starting XI would be like trying to guess the Lotto Max numbers, an obviously difficult task. What we all need to hope for is solid defending and decision making from the back (I hope Garcia is reading this) and if possible a goal would be wonderful. TFC’s lack of goals dating back to the Carolina Challenge Cup has been well documented. A goal away no matter the result would do the club wonders heading into our home opener in six days ON GRASS!!!!!!! A surprise three points tomorrow would really make the atmosphere at next Thursday’s game so amazing.

After the game tomorrow I will be posting a video blog recapping the game and the results.

fetajr
04-09-2010, 05:15 PM
a worthy captain, now its time for DeRo to walk the walk