PDA

View Full Version : Hey DeRo: Shut up and play

Jack
04-08-2010, 10:26 AM
We are coming up on the eve of our second match of the season. We have seen unusual events happen with our team, both with the retirement of Jim Brennan and the swirling rumours of discord in the dressing room.

No more excuses from the players about what is happening behind the scenes. You have a job to do. Get out on that pitch and do it!

DeRosario, we need you to lead, to set the example, to bring the team together! Not criticize in public and make negative comments. You complain about building team unity to the press?

Statements like this do nothing to promote confidence amongst the supporters or other players:

“It's extremely difficult — it's almost like a first-year team again, starting from scratch,” he said. “It's very tough to build team unity.”

If there's a new guy on the team, why are you not welcoming him and bringing him into the fold? Where is the leadership from a proven veteran, hometown guy and a winner?

Listen, we love and support our team through good times and bad, but internal divisions and crap have got to stop. It is time to put up or shut up on the field.

Put the work in and take that team by the scruff of the neck and make it yours. Bring them together and lead in the dressing room, not in the newspapers. You're here to play for us. We pay your salary.

Shut up and play.

Alarius
04-08-2010, 10:29 AM
He does whine alot...
Amen to the above!!

rocker
04-08-2010, 10:30 AM
yup. and involve those teammates in the play rather than being a ball hog like last year. i love De Ro but i wouldn't call him a team player on the field. last year he didn't seem to trust his teammates. he puts his head down and tries to do everything himself.

Ladies Love Julius James
Scarborough Stand Up.

MUFC_Niagara
It goes without saying that team unity would be difficult to build at this point because guys are getting to know each other. I have always been surprised at how much the players on this team are willing to say to the fans and media.

rocker
04-08-2010, 10:31 AM
oh, and do something about that offside problem... thanks!

Beach_Red
04-08-2010, 10:33 AM
All For One.

TorCanSoc
04-08-2010, 10:33 AM
He's stating what we blog about all day and night. If he said all is wonderful, and we're going to win MLS cup, and NCC, then CCL. We'd be on him for being positive without substance. I like DeRo's candor.

Pachuco
04-08-2010, 10:35 AM
I disagree with every post in this thread. Yes Dero talks alot, and he has alot of passion. But that passion shows when he's on the field as well. It's not like he plays like he's lazy and talks shit after game. You can literally see him busting his balls on the field.

Dero - Keep talking but keep playing!

Jack
04-08-2010, 10:36 AM
I disagree with every post in this thread. Yes Dero talks alot, and he has alot of passion. But that passion shows when he's on the field as well. It's not like he plays like he's lazy and talks shit after game. You can literally see him busting his balls on the field.

La ropa sucia se lava en casa.

Don't air your dirty laundry.

Shut up, keep it in the dressing room and work the shit out. I never questioned his on-field effort, but the fact is, we need him to be a leader on and off the field.

Suds
04-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Scarborough Stand Up.

Friggin' right, bro! Scarborough rules!!

Oh, and we need DeRo to become this team's leader, heart, and soul.

timmay
04-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Hey Jack: Shut Up and Support the Team

Jack
04-08-2010, 10:39 AM
He's stating what we blog about all day and night. If he said all is wonderful, and we're going to win MLS cup, and NCC, then CCL. We'd be on him for being positive without substance. I like DeRo's candor.

It would be better if he didn't say anything about that stuff. Candour is fine, but when it becomes divisive, it doesn't help.

Boris
04-08-2010, 10:39 AM

and these antics can create tension in the locker room he complains about not being united...seems a bit odd.

Yes, the players may be getting screwed, but at the end of the day they have a hard ass coach. the players are used to an easy friendly coach.

For once they have someone who isnt afraid making changes. Time will tell if these changes are right but until then....be professionals and get the job done.

Accountability of this teams performance goes from top to bottom and NO ONE will be excused.

Jack
04-08-2010, 10:40 AM

Hey Timmay....who are you?

If I can't be vocal in my support for the team, then we're screwed.

MUFC_Niagara
04-08-2010, 10:41 AM

Hey timmay: Shut up and support Cartman.

btw, there's only ONE timmay on this board....right Shaughno?

Pachuco
04-08-2010, 10:41 AM

Shut up, keep it in the dressing room and work the shit out. I never questioned his on-field effort, but the fact is, we need him to be a leader on and off the field.

I don't disagree with you there. But the example you showed above to me isn't airing dirty laundry. If he got up there and said, "this team is looking great, there is lots of unity, we are well prepared for the season, we have all the right players we need to make the playoffs" then I think we would call him dillusional right?

I'd just rather have a guy who wears his heart on his sleeves but at the same time can channel that emotion in a good way on the field then have someone who doesn't know how to express himself both on and off the field.

EDIT: BTW - If I ever start to feel Dero isn't giving it his all because of the off the field problems with the team then believe me, he'll be my new Vince Carter quickly :)

Yeoman
04-08-2010, 10:42 AM
i'm telling you, he's one of the cancers in the room

Boris

blind support is done.....
but we still have to wait and see how this goes....

FluSH
Jack our former RPB Prez has spoken...

Here! Here!

Whoop
Either way, he's our next captain.

It's his ship now.

At practice Wednesday morning, original signing Jim Brennan was nowhere in sight, readying lines for his retirement speech later in the day. His replacement at left back in the kickabout, a skinny blonde kid wearing a No. 28 jersey, has evidently yet to be introduced, or even signed to a contract.
“I think his name is Thomas,” Dwayne De Rosario suggested, then shrugged his shoulders.

I've seen a lot of captains in my day, even had to name a few - and before you ask it was for international competitions, not some pickup game - and like Jack said, a captain doesn't talk that way.

Just because you might be the team's best player, it doesn't mean you are a leader.

Is DeRo a good player? Yes.

Is he captain material? Well... we have no choice.

Belfast_Boy
04-08-2010, 10:43 AM
we liked it when he talked about grass and other problems. can't edit our boy from Scarborough. I'd be frustrated too.
as for being a ball hog etc. we need somebody to try to score. remember Montreal anyone?

Red Patch MVP! DERO for a reason.

Razor
Scarborough sucks! Grew up there...hated it and would never move back there. :D

Friggin' right, bro! Scarborough rules!!

Oh, and we need DeRo to become this team's leader, heart, and soul.

jloome
Nah, I gotta agree with Jack.

DeRo's a good MLS player, maybe even a great one. But he's not as good as he thinks (he was "embarassed" by the Real Madrid result, by way of example) he is. PLus he's publicly negative.

Sometimes, that's necessary. Times like this, not sure it helps. If he has something about management that needs to be said, sure. But this has been said to death and is just divisive.

Jack
I don't disagree with you there. But the example you showed above to me isn't airing dirty laundry. If he got up there and said, "this team is looking great, there is lots of unity, we are well prepared for the season, we have all the right players we need to make the playoffs" then I think we would call him dillusional right?

I'd just rather have a guy who wears his heart on his sleeves but at the same time can channel that emotion in a good way on the field then have someone who doesn't know how to express himself both on and off the field.

I see your point. But in some cases it's better to give a canned answer like: "we're working hard to bring in the players needed to make this work" or "whatever changes happen, we have to go out there and perform with the teammates we've got".

I understand his frustration as it is shared by many, but he is a team leader and needs to think of more than his personal frustrations and feelings on matters.

Billy the kid
04-08-2010, 10:44 AM

I agree completely. I didn't think that particuliar quote from DeRo was that bad.

billyfly
04-08-2010, 10:45 AM
This would make a great chant.

FluSH
04-08-2010, 10:46 AM

This thread is more about taking ownership... yeah he's working his ass off on the pitch, but at the same time you can argue if he's doing it for his best interest or the teams interest... many plays come to mind where I thought he was a bit selfish... (remember that Guevara steal) anyhow that's all in the past... we need Dero and we need him now.

Jack
And just to clarify, I hold DeRo in pretty high esteem as a player. I love his passion and his will to win. I also am demanding more of him as our best player and a leader of this team. He needs to think of the big picture a little more and that's what this thread is about.

Parkdale
I think everyone here respects DeRo's ability to make it happen on the field, because you'd have to be blind to not see his skill, but what we need now, more than ever, if a real leader to move us forward. The position is his for the taking, so it's time to take the high road and push things forward. No off handed comments, no canadian passive-aggressiveness, just pure leadership. We all know DeRo has it in him to lead - get at it!

Whoop
04-08-2010, 10:48 AM

100 fucking %.

To add... you don't air your dirty laundry in public.

You can go to management, you can go to your teammates over beer. But you never do it over the media.

I have no issue calling out a player in the media by a coach (as long as he doesn't do it all the time) IF it's part of the coach's tactics. Or even a captain calling out a player... again IF it's part of a tactic or it's been proven to work in the past.

But when it comes to team unity stuff... what happens in the dressing/locker room... stays there.

DeRo... you're the vet on the team... you're not a rookie. Guys should be looking to you. A new guy comes to the team - even if he's a trialist - doesn't hurt to know his name?

Fuck... this team is becoming worse than some of the disorganized house league teams I see out there.

Section 117
Preki has annouced that Dero is now the new captain of TFC....

All for One

Belfast_Boy
I agree blind support is useless. for us and the players.

the truth shall set you free.

Whoop
04-08-2010, 10:50 AM
I see your point. But in some cases it's better to give a canned answer like: "we're working hard to bring in the players needed to make this work" or "whatever changes happen, we have to go out there and perform with the teammates we've got".

I understand his frustration as it is shared by many, but he is a team leader and needs to think of more than his personal frustrations and feelings on matters.

Jack is on fire.

Hey Jack, now that you're "one of us" are you going to turn into a shit disturber? :D

TFC Tifoso
04-08-2010, 10:51 AM

and here lies the problem for many.....people see him as a leader....I do not.

he is a great player and imo the best we have, but I wouldn't look to him for leadership.

People loved DeRo last year when he spoke out against getting grass or spoke out against the Real Madrid game, but it seems that his nature is to be outspoken, so you have to take the good with the bad in terms of that.

I for one like what he's saying for this reason.......supporters are asking for accountability from this team. Now, many of these same supporters have resigned themselves to the fact that there is nothing we can do to enforce that accountability (which I think is total bullshit, and flies in the face of what "supporters culture" is imo ), and as seen from Jimmy B's press conference yesterday, media, for the most part, is not going to enforce it either, so the question becomes who will? Sad and twisted as it may be, its gonna have to come from our own players for now.
It's not gonna come from the sky, and lord knows Mo won't wake up one day and have an enlightening.

Pachuco
So maybe it isn't about shutting and playing, it's about taking charge, rattling the troops and embracing the role of leadership he'll have to play on the team.

If Dero can do that, I'm all for it.

Lucky Strike
I think everyone here respects DeRo's ability to make it happen on the field, because you'd have to be blind to not see his skill, but what we need now, more than ever, if a real leader to move us forward. The position is his for the taking, so it's time to take the high road and push things forward. No off handed comments, no canadian passive-aggressiveness, just pure leadership. We all know DeRo has it in him to lead - get at it!

I'm on board with that one. I should point out though that maybe DeRo thinks stuff like this is "leading". Consider that maybe he does these things not to be a douche of a human being, but because he's still learning what it means to be a leader on this team. So let's not have everyone get up in his face about it right away. I agree in feeling that some comments he's made since joining TFC aren't appropriate, but I think he's smart enough to learn.

Roogsy
04-08-2010, 10:52 AM

This isn't dirty laundry though. It's a plain and obvious fact. This has nothing to do with the dressing room.

Dirty laundry would be DeRo coming out and saying "Geez that (insert name) doesn't work hard at practice and Preki should release him."

I see nothing wrong with what DeRo has said, in fact I applaud it and I am constantly amazed at the inconsistencies on this board as to what people want from players.

Stand up and say something!
No! Shut up!

:noidea:

boomcha
04-08-2010, 10:53 AM
In other news....

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=21509

Suds
04-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Scarborough sucks! Grew up there...hated it and would never move back there. :D

I don't live there anymore either. :o But loved growing up there.

In The Beach now but close enough to step over the boarder form time to time. :)

K1nG
04-08-2010, 10:54 AM
I've always believed that DeRo's comments about the temp grass for the RM friendly was the anvil that broke the camel's (MLSE's) back. We owe him a lot. That said, it doesn't give him free reigns to hog the ball, break the offside record or hurt team moral. If the rumors were true and DeRo was butt hurt about JDG's salary then he does not deserve the arm band. I just hope that he realizes his role and does what Preki tells him to do.

Whoop
04-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Well the latest comment isn't that bad, I think it's just the way DeRo is and like TFC_Tifoso states just because he might our best player it doesn't mean he's a natural leader.

But... we have no choice now... as this team has NO leadership.

As Jack says, hopefully DeRo looks at the bigger picture.

The grass stuff and the RM stuff were separate issues. It affected the team, but it wasn't about the players.

Oh well, I'm glad someone higher up made his feelings known. LOL

Just waiting for Roogsy's response. LOL

Beach_Red
I agree blind support is useless. for us and the players.

the truth shall set you free.

Maybe, but it won't win you any games.

And has there ever really been blind support here? Okay, I admit, I didn;t really get on board until the second season but already by then there was always a goat, there was always someone on the team who got blamed for all the problems. Has it ever really been, "All for One," because it always seems to be, "All for Some." We do a better job of dividing our team than the opposition does.

Whoop
So maybe it isn't about shutting and playing, it's about taking charge, rattling the troops and embracing the role of leadership he'll have to play on the team.

If Dero can do that, I'm all for it.

That's what we're hoping for.

Whoop
04-08-2010, 10:56 AM
I'm on board with that one. I should point out though that maybe DeRo thinks stuff like this is "leading". Consider that maybe he does these things not to be a douche of a human being, but because he's still learning what it means to be a leader on this team. So let's not have everyone get up in his face about it right away. I agree in feeling that some comments he's made since joining TFC aren't appropriate, but I think he's smart enough to learn.

There could be an element of truth to that. But from my experience, 90% of the guys who are leaders... are naturals.

Pachuco
04-08-2010, 10:57 AM
I've always believed that DeRo's comments about the temp grass for the RM friendly was the anvil that broke the camel's (MLSE's) back. We owe him a lot. That said, it doesn't give him free reigns to hog the ball, break the offside record or hurt team moral. If the rumors were true and DeRo was butt hurt about JDG's salary then he does not deserve the arm band. I just hope that he realizes his role and does what Preki tells him to do.

If Dero was constantly complaining about salary and how much Deguz makes over how much he makes, do you think Preki would've made him captain? Preki of all people would have probably benched him instead of making him captain.

Jamaicanadian
04-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Dunno if I agree with you this time Jack....
I just spoke to someone that spoke to Dero yesterday and they found him to be very professional regarding the recent issues @ TFC...The person is a fan and was digging for dirt....Dero did not whine at all and didn't provide any insight that he could have under the circumstances IMO.

boomcha
04-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Scarborough is awesome. People that talk bad about it don't know. Its not all guns and drugs. Thats what sells papers and get ratings but the majority of Scarborough is great.

Grew up in the hood and Markham and Eglinton and played high school soccer against DeRo. Now also own a house in the upper beaches area, would have bought it in Scarborough if I didn't work downtown and don't like commuting.

I don't live there anymore either. :o But loved growing up there.

In The Beach now but close enough to step over the boarder form time to time. :)

MUFC_Niagara
04-08-2010, 11:00 AM
I agree with what the last few posts have said. He needs to step up as a leader off the pitch. He's talented, he works hard, he's a bit selfish but he's very skilled so I can live with that for the most part. Instead of saying "team unity is crap right now", do something about it! Organize team dinners or nights out, make a team rule that everyone eats together or plan a team golf outting. Whatever it is do seomthing other than bitch about it. Stop complaining, take charge DeRo and make Preki leave no doubt that you are the man for the captain's spot!

TFC Via Buffalo
04-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Hey Timmay....who are you?

If I can't be vocal in my support for the team, then we're screwed.

Yeah Jack. Shut up and support. What have YOU ever done for TFC? :rolleyes:

FluSH
04-08-2010, 11:01 AM
If Dero was constantly complaining about salary and how much Deguz makes over how much he makes, do you think Preki would've made him captain? Preki of all people would have probably benched him instead of making him captain.

but this has happened? or am I just imagining events, articles, and interviews? At any rate... it doesn't matter now... he is our Captain and has been promoted from Hired Gun status to Leader Status.

Roogsy
04-08-2010, 11:01 AM
And I have to say, I really do object to the title.

Shut up and play? Sometimes it seems like he is the ONLY one who plays! Really? We're gonna call HIM out? I could care less what he says, as long as he repeats what he did last season.

How quickly we forget. In my opinion, if you can put your money where your mouth us...have at it. The ones that should keep their traps shut are the ones that are an embarrassment. Which is why Barrett is smart to lay low and fly under the radar.

But really? We want the one player who in one year scored more goals than anyone in the 3 years prior combined, we want him to keep his opinions to himself? Without good reason?

Maybe we should apply some of our own council and shut up ourselves.

Whoop
04-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Everyone goes back to the game in Montreal.

That was one game. And he should have been the best player on the pitch that night. Other than Guevara, he was the best player on the pitch. Anything less would have been unacceptable.

Now, if he had taken control of the game against New York at the end of the year, especially after TFC went down a couple of goals... completely different story. But JDG in the picture, Dichio gone, Frei hurt, etc... well we know what happened.

Section 110
04-08-2010, 11:03 AM

This is the point precisely. De Ro is a Scarborough boy, and I wouldn't have it any other way. His candour has been effective in bringing attention to certain issues. However, De Ro is a little rough around the edges and, when it comes to being a captain, those edges need to be sanded down a little if he's going to be effective in this role. Not only from a PR persepective but as well on the pitch. He is going to be the team's spokesperson on the pitch and so he needs to reform his attitude to the point of diplomacy. If he can't do that, he can't be a captain.

I love the guy - I've go this jersey - but this is going to require serious effort on his part. Mabe they could make one of Jimmy B's responsibilities lessons in diplomacy?

Jamaicanadian
04-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Well said Roogsy.

Whoop
04-08-2010, 11:04 AM

Look at this team?!?

What other choices does he have?

I'm certain if Preki gave the armband to someone else... there would be another complete shit show.

When you have no leaders on the team, you give it to the guy who won't put up a stink if he DOESN'T get it.

It's an easier in hockey... you just give a guy an "A".

Ossington Mental Youth
04-08-2010, 11:04 AM

cosign, hes being honest but i dont think its a reflection of how he sees how well the team will do, i do think he will put his all into it and havce everyone else do the same

trane
04-08-2010, 11:05 AM
This isn't dirty laundry though. It's a plain and obvious fact. This has nothing to do with the dressing room.

Dirty laundry would be DeRo coming out and saying "Geez that (insert name) doesn't work hard at practice and Preki should release him."

I see nothing wrong with what DeRo has said, in fact I applaud it and I am constantly amazed at the inconsistencies on this board as to what people want from players.

Stand up and say something!
No! Shut up!

:noidea:

Agreed. Pressure has to be put publicly not on the players but on the FO.

In general I agree with Jack's view on this, but we are going in year four of futilily and confussion.

Pachuco
04-08-2010, 11:05 AM
but this has happened? or am I just imagining events, articles, and interviews? At any rate... it doesn't matter now... he is our Captain and has been promoted from Hired Gun status to Leader Status.

I've seen the speculation and rumblings which journalists have written, I don't think I've ever seen an interview with Dero where actually complains about not making enough money. It's possible that I missed it though if it did happen.

Shaughno
04-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Hey timmay: Shut up and support Cartman.

btw, there's only ONE timmay on this board....right Shaughno?

Fuckin' right Timmmmmay! TimTimTIMMMMAAAAYYYY!

As for DeRo.. I have no problem with what he's said so far. Sometimes all it takes is a public comment to stir the team on.

Whoop
04-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Dunno if I agree with you this time Jack....
I just spoke to someone that spoke to Dero yesterday and they found him to be very professional regarding the recent issues @ TFC...The person is a fan and was digging for dirt....Dero did not whine at all and didn't provide any insight that he could have under the circumstances IMO.

That's a start.

Think of the media as your "enemy" in a sense... they're looking for dirt. If you don't do it for a fan, why do you do it for the media?

Again... this last comment by him wasn't that bad and it's different that the grass or RM situation, but it's the pattern.

Now that he's the captain... he has to filter more things.

Roogsy
04-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Everyone goes back to the game in Montreal.

That was one game. And he should have been the best player on the pitch that night. Other than Guevara, he was the best player on the pitch. Anything less would have been unacceptable.

Now, if he had taken control of the game against New York at the end of the year, especially after TFC went down a couple of goals... completely different story. But JDG in the picture, Dichio gone, Frei hurt, etc... well we know what happened.

You're gonna pin a 5 goal debacle in NY to DeRo??? :facepalm:

Ossington Mental Youth
Either way, he's our next captain.

It's his ship now.

I've seen a lot of captains in my day, even had to name a few - and before you ask it was for international competitions, not some pickup game - and like Jack said, a captain doesn't talk that way.

Just because you might be the team's best player, it doesn't mean you are a leader.

Is DeRo a good player? Yes.

Is he captain material? Well... we have no choice.

dont forget that quote could be taken out of context, he may in fact not be allowed to say who it is or making a joke...

Pachuco
Look at this team?!?

What other choices does he have?

I'm certain if Preki gave the armband to someone else... there would be another complete shit show.

When you have no leaders on the team, you give it to the guy who won't put up a stink if he DOESN'T get it.

It's an easier in hockey... you just give a guy an "A".

Knowing Preki, he would've given the captaincy to anyone else if Dero had seriously pissed him off. I mean, we had Gerba available to play, taking up cap space, barely enough players to put 11 on the field, and instead he sent him home. I just don't see it.

Whoop
This is the point precisely. De Ro is a Scarborough boy, and I wouldn't have it any other way. His candour has been effective in bringing attention to certain issues. However, De Ro is a little rough around the edges and, when it comes to being a captain, those edges need to be sanded down a little if he's going to be effective in this role. Not only from a PR persepective but as well on the pitch. He is going to be the team's spokesperson on the pitch and so he needs to reform his attitude to the point of diplomacy. If he can't do that, he can't be a captain.

I love the guy - I've go this jersey - but this is going to require serious effort on his part. Mabe they could make one of Jimmy B's responsibilities lessons in diplomacy?

Well said.

torontocelt
04-08-2010, 11:09 AM
And I have to say, I really do object to the title.

Shut up and play? Sometimes it seems like he is the ONLY one who plays! Really? We're gonna call HIM out? I could care less what he says, as long as he repeats what he did last season.

How quickly we forget. In my opinion, if you can put your money where your mouth us...have at it. The ones that should keep their traps shut are the ones that are an embarrassment. Which is why Barrett is smart to lay low and fly under the radar.

But really? We want the one player who in one year scored more goals than anyone in the 3 years prior combined, we want him to keep his opinions to himself? Without good reason?

Maybe we should apply some of our own council and shut up ourselves.

Totally agree with Roogsy on this

ManUtd4ever
04-08-2010, 11:11 AM

Agreed...

Belfast_Boy
04-08-2010, 11:12 AM
is there anyone that works as hard? I can't think of a TFC player that does.

at the end of the day he's not going to shut up and he's going to continue to play just as hard as he's always done.

will he be a good Captain? i guess we'll see how the team responds.

Whoop
04-08-2010, 11:15 AM
You're gonna pin a 5 goal debacle in NY to DeRo??? :facepalm:

No... but as one of the leaders on the team... he shares a responsibility in it.

People were quick to blame Edwards when it was his teammates that let him down.

DeRo, JDG (even though he only played 5 games), Brennan, Guevara all share in it. These guys were/are the leaders of the team. And for the most part each of them were invisible in that game.

Everyone pins the win in Montreal on his shoulders.

Hey, if you're the leader... you have to take the heat too.

Whoop
04-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Knowing Preki, he would've given the captaincy to anyone else if Dero had seriously pissed him off. I mean, we had Gerba available to play, taking up cap space, barely enough players to put 11 on the field, and instead he sent him home. I just don't see it.

The problem with this team... aside from the cap issues... is that there is no leadership on this team.

Whoop
04-08-2010, 11:19 AM
is there anyone that works as hard? I can't think of a TFC player that does.

at the end of the day he's not going to shut up and he's going to continue to play just as hard as he's always done.

will he be a good Captain? i guess we'll see how the team responds.

Hopefully they do.

GabrielHurl
04-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Statements like this do nothing to promote confidence amongst the supporters or other players:

“It's extremely difficult — it's almost like a first-year team again, starting from scratch,” he said. “It's very tough to build team unity.”

He's right though

GabrielHurl
04-08-2010, 11:21 AM
The problem with this team... aside from the cap issues... is that there is no leadership on this team.

what happened the leaders we did have??

Two were forced into retirement and one was shipped off :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jack
04-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Ok...before people start putting words in my mouth.

DeRo needs to watch what he says to the media and get ahold of this team. He is the leader now. He is the captain now. He needs to know the guys' names.

Candour is fine, but leadership also involves knowing when to say the right thing, rather than the bald truth. Is the thread title a bit harsh? Yes. It's meant to be harsh and grab attention. Is the sentiment misguided? No. I think DeRo has brought a lot to this team and I never will forget what he brings. Just because he's our best player doesn't mean I can't take exception to something he does or says. He is not untouchable and, as captain, needs to be held to a higher standard.

If DeRo can't pull this team up by its bootstraps, then we are truly screwed. Everyone knows the team is in a shambles in terms of the front office and the pressure is on. We have seen that from the comments Mr. Anselmi made at the MLS Cup press conference.

Adding more fuel to the fire from the most prominent player (now captain) is not what we need right now. Regardless of the shitstorm, there are still games to be played and won.

So take Thomas and get his ass integrated. Build that team unity. Make the best of it. That's what he's got to do now. The pressure is already on the boss. Everyone can see that Mo's not on top of things.

That's what I mean by shut up and play.

Whoop
04-08-2010, 11:22 AM
I don't disagree with him on that.

Oh well... he is the captain now... and will support him.

Whoop
04-08-2010, 11:23 AM
what happened the leaders we did have??

Two were forced into retirement and one was shipped off :rolleyes::rolleyes:

LOL... I agree. I don't think anyone is saying he's wrong. LOL

To me Dichio was the true captain of the team and Jimmy wore his heart on his sleeve. And Robbo was class. He knew what to say.

Oh... to have a Dichio like guy at the moment.

ManUtd4ever
04-08-2010, 11:24 AM
He's right though

DeRo just as easily could have said it's been a difficult transition period with departure of teammates etc. but he likes the overall direction of the team under Preki's guidance and the next few games will be about building chemistry...

Whoop
04-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Ok...before people start putting words in my mouth.

DeRo needs to watch what he says to the media and get ahold of this team. He is the leader now. He is the captain now. He needs to know the guys' names.

Candour is fine, but leadership also involves knowing when to say the right thing, rather than the bald truth. Is the thread title a bit harsh? Yes. It's meant to be harsh and grab attention. Is the sentiment misguided? No. I think DeRo has brought a lot to this team and I never will forget what he brings. Just because he's our best player doesn't mean I can't take exception to something he does or says. He is not untouchable and, as captain, needs to be held to a higher standard.

If DeRo can't pull this team up by its bootstraps, then we are truly screwed. Everyone knows the team is in a shambles in terms of the front office and the pressure is on. We have seen that from the comments Mr. Anselmi made at the MLS Cup press conference.

Adding more fuel to the fire from the most prominent player (now captain) is not what we need right now. Regardless of the shitstorm, there are still games to be played and won.

So take Thomas and get his ass integrated. Build that team unity. Make the best of it. That's what he's got to do now. The pressure is already on the boss. Everyone can see that Mo's not on top of things.

That's what I mean by shut up and play.

Bang on Jack.

Now we know why you were prez. :)

Jack
04-08-2010, 11:25 AM
He's right though

Yes he is.

Roogsy
04-08-2010, 11:26 AM
No... but as one of the leaders on the team... he shares a responsibility in it.

People were quick to blame Edwards when it was his teammates that let him down.

DeRo, JDG (even though he only played 5 games), Brennan, Guevara all share in it. These guys were/are the leaders of the team. And for the most part each of them were invisible in that game.

Everyone pins the win in Montreal on his shoulders.

Hey, if you're the leader... you have to take the heat too.

So one minute he isn't good enough to be a leader, but when there is blame to give, he's good enough to be a leader. Which is it? The inconsistencies persist! Which is it? Is he a leader or not? And if he is, then his becoming captain should come with no objection.

If he is a "leader" enough to share in the blame for a bad game, then don't discount the good game in Montreal like you did. If it weren't for him, we'd have NO trophies so IF ANYONE gets more room to breathe and more forgiveness, he should. And you are clearly assigning more blame to DeRo for NY than the others, who you seem to consider afterthoughts in NY. Why did it have to be DeRo (AGAIN!) to take the team on his back? Why not the new DP? Why not the "striker" who's been given a gazillion opportunities to prove his 6 figure salary? Why not the actual captain of the team at the time? Really? DeRo is the one you single out for NY?

TFC Tifoso
04-08-2010, 11:27 AM
DeRo just as easily could have said it's been a difficult transition period with departure of teammates etc. but he likes the overall direction of the team under Preki's guidance and the next few games will be about building chemistry...

But that is not DeRo's style, and it is highly unlikely to me that a captain's arband will change that.....he speaks from the heart, and in a club that seems to be full of two sided answers and mystery, I like what DeRo says....

Belfast_Boy
04-08-2010, 11:28 AM
He's right though

i agree. he's right and we all know it and I'm sure everyone in red knows it too.
what's so bad about calling it how it is? it doesn't mean that he's not going to do his best to fix it as a leader on the team.

lazlo_80
04-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Don't mind this comment at all. Nice to see him not towing the company line. If he does become captain than clearly Preki doesn't mind this sort of thinking either. I also don't think it's very negative at all. He's just stating the obvious. We also don't know the context of the comment, right after he might've said "but we'll make do and try and work on team chemistry"

if he had said "We're screwed, this place is a sinking ship", trust me, they would've published it.

mastermixer
04-08-2010, 11:30 AM
Captain DeRo.
Wear that armband with pride and lead us to a win this Saturday.

Jack
04-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Well, he's the captain now, so he will be held to a higher standard. For the record, I've always considered him one of the leaders since he's been here. His vocal style and intensity lend themselves to the role.

He needs to make this his team and build the unity. If it's an "us against the world and against the management" mentality that's needed, then he needs to do that.

Anyway, with the armband, we'll see what unfolds. I am personally glad that he has it, as I think it will help to have someone with his intensity and desire as the captain.

TFC USA
04-08-2010, 11:38 AM
I don't even know what to think of this team anymore.

DeRo should know better than to say this in public after getting the Captain's armband. Not saying he's wrong in his statement but that's bad for your rep and further disrupts the already fucked up team chemistry/morale.

Ugh.....I know it's only one game we've played this season but I actually want the season to end now before it gets any worse.

trane
04-08-2010, 11:41 AM
I hope that we get behind him support him in his push for better from everyone. He had not been perfect, BUT he is certainly not our problem.

Whoop
04-08-2010, 11:42 AM
So one minute he isn't good enough to be a leader, but when there is blame to give, he's good enough to be a leader. Which is it? The inconsistencies persist! Which is it? Is he a leader or not? And if he is, then his becoming captain should come with no objection.

If he is a "leader" enough to share in the blame for a bad game, then don't discount the good game in Montreal like you did. If it weren't for him, we'd have NO trophies so IF ANYONE gets more room to breathe and more forgiveness, he should.

I never thought of him as a leader on the team, just one of the better players on the team.

While being one of the better players on the team might lead to some "leadership" situations, it's still mutually exclusive. Ideally you want your best players to be leaders on and off the field. But when you have no leadership on the team, or seemingly a lack of it or a fractured dressing room, the best players on the team become "de facto" leaders because you have no choice.

For example, look at Cristiano Ronaldo when he was with United. Was he their best players over the last few years? Even the biggest CR hater among United supporters would begrudgingly agree. But was he captain material? I think 95% of the people out there would say no. But United had such strong team chemistry that the team could put up with his antics.

I mean IF people want to pin the Montreal game on his shoulders than he should take responsibility for the NY game. But the people who put the Montreal game on his shoulders, somehow absolve him from the NY game.

That comes with being the best player on the team, regardless of you think of him as a leader.

Myself, I never pinned the win in Montreal on his shoulders, nor the loss in NY on his shoulders. Just stating if you want to pin the win on his shoulders, don't give him a free pass for NY.

Roogsy
04-08-2010, 11:44 AM
1) His goal totals last year didn't all come in the Montreal game, your statements almost seem to imply it's the one good game he had. That's a pretty narrow view of the season.
2) If you won't give him credit for Montreal, how can you justify blaming him for NY? You can'd to one without the other, both ways.
3) Who DO we credit for Montreal?
4) Who else stood up and carried this team last year?

Ladies Love Julius James
04-08-2010, 11:45 AM
3) Barrett :D

Roogsy
04-08-2010, 11:46 AM
3) Barrett :D

LOL! I knew someone was going to try that.

GabrielHurl
04-08-2010, 11:46 AM
I don't even know what to think of this team anymore.

DeRo should know better than to say this in public after getting the Captain's armband. Not saying he's wrong in his statement but that's bad for your rep and further disrupts the already fucked up team chemistry/morale.

Ugh.....I know it's only one game we've played this season but I actually want the season to end now before it gets any worse.

He got the armband today - his quote is from yesterday

Pookie
04-08-2010, 11:52 AM
What concerns me about De Rosario's comments is that they are usually negative. Sometimes they have to be, (ie. Grass situation) but other times they are counterproductive.

Change is a fact of life for all of us, in any profession.

Those who embrace it with optimism are more likely to succeed. Those who are pessimistic usually try to pull the rest of us down with them.

Whoop
04-08-2010, 11:54 AM
1) His goal totals last year didn't all come in the Montreal game, your statements almost seem to imply it's the one good game he had. That's a pretty narrow view of the season.
2) If you won't give him credit for Montreal, how can you justify blaming him for NY? You can'd to one without the other, both ways.
3) Who DO we credit for Montreal?
4) Who else stood up and carried this team last year?

1) I never said he had just one good game. Where did I say that? He had a number of good games. He was our best player last year. Doesn't mean he's a leader.

2) I didn't blame him for NY. I should have clarified my previous statement with a big IF... IF you give him credit for Montreal, then you should give him flak for NY.

3) You can credit DeRo for the win in Montreal. I have no issue with that per se. But those who make it seem like it was he did all alone, some David versus Goliath type situation when TFC was Goliath. I mean I recall Guevara having a strong game too. Again, against the team that Montreal put out that night, guys like DeRo and Amado were expected to do what they did.

4) Different players at different times. DeRo did most often last year, especially before JDG showed up. Again, being the best player on the team doesn't automatically make you a leader.

Roogsy
04-08-2010, 12:03 PM
1) I never said he had just one good game. Where did I say that? He had a number of good games. He was our best player last year. Doesn't mean he's a leader.

2) I didn't blame him for NY. I should have clarified my previous statement with a big IF... IF you give him credit for Montreal, then you should give him flak for NY.

3) You can credit DeRo for the win in Montreal. I have no issue with that per se. But those who make it seem like it was he did all alone, some David versus Goliath type situation when TFC was Goliath. I mean I recall Guevara having a strong game too. Again, against the team that Montreal put out that night, guys like DeRo and Amado were expected to do what they did.

4) Different players at different times. DeRo did most often last year, especially before JDG showed up. Again, being the best player on the team doesn't automatically make you a leader.

With all this said then....you really shouldn't have a problem with him speaking out! If he's just another player on the team without the responsibilities of being a leader (ignoring the events of today of course).

Belfast_Boy
04-08-2010, 12:05 PM
can we merge this into the Kook Aid thread? the page count would really help.

Jack
04-08-2010, 12:05 PM
With all this said then....you really shouldn't have a problem with him speaking out! If he's just another player on the team without the responsibilities of being a leader (ignoring the events of today of course).

But he's not. He's now the captain and has always been a vocal leader.

It's like you argue just for the sake of arguing :D

mmmikey
04-08-2010, 12:16 PM
as a member of any team it is beneficial to speak out, be the voice of opposition. sometimes your the only one. i'll credit DeRo for that.. he had that kind of courage, and it shows the conviction that is required to become THE leader of the group. but once you become the leader, in this case team captain, i think Jack is right. he needs to change his approach..

he is no longer a member of TFC, he is the CAPTAIN of TFC and there is more weight to his statements now more than ever. this is often a fine line.. he needs to be careful with how/what he says in public, and keep things in the dressing room. at the same time, this can be taken as him being just a yes-man for preki, etc.. as long as he keeps it in the dressing room though, the team will know where he really stands, and frankly that's what matters most.

the best leaders in most sports will pick and choose points in time for brutal honesty, while keeping their comments bland and boring the rest of the time because above all, the dressing room and the boys in there will come first. as a fan, im fine with that..

KdotOdot
04-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Man fuck'A Dero. I'm getting a white Barrett Jersey and making my own Captain armband.

ilikemusic
04-08-2010, 12:19 PM
I disapprove of this thread.

DeRo is holding the organization to a higher standard.

He has played for a winning club for his whole career. He knows what a winner looks like and how a winner operates.

Since coming to Toronto, I think he understands better than anyone how much of a pathetic shit show this team is.

Honestly, at this point, I would almost recommend he leave for his own good. This is a rudderless ship and it is clearly taking its toll on a DeRo.

Frankly I am shocked that the RPB President made this thread. It seems like the kind of 'looking for blame' thread that some random jackass would make.

Whoop
04-08-2010, 12:21 PM

I had no issue about the grass. It wasn't about his teammates.

I had no issue about the RM comments. It wasn't about his teammates.

I did have an issue with his salary comments with Wheeler at the end of the year. That's starting to encroach on team issues.

This last comment - while on the surface really isn't that bad - IF there are team unity issues (which there is on account of the FO)... fine agreed - IF you see yourself as a leader on the team, or one of the leaders on the team, then really the onus is on you now to make sure the team is unified.

You can lash out at your coach, you can lash at the FO, hell you can even lash out at the supporters once in a while or even your teammates behind closed doors... but team unity, at the end of the day, falls on the player's shoulders. No matter how difficult those around you make it.

And now... without Danny Dichio, without Jim Brennan, without Robbo, it's squarely on his shoulders.

He's the one now that has to say "guys there might be a shitstorm outside this dressing room... but WE have to stick together and WE have to go out and play for each other and WE have to take it on ourselves to make sure we win."

He can't say, "fuck it, the FO is screwed, I hate Preki... I'm just going to go out and play my game."

I'm willing to give him some slack. The situation DeRo's in, the whole team for that matter, will ultimately show his true colours. If he can lead this team to the playoffs, I will take everything back. By the same token, now if we keep hearing about problems on the dressing room... it's on his shoulders.

It's in times of adversity that leadership is made.

KdotOdot
04-08-2010, 12:23 PM

He has played for a winning club for his whole career. He knows what a winner looks like and how a winner operates.

Since coming to Toronto, I think he understands better than anyone how much of a pathetic shit show this team is.

Honestly, at this point, I would almost recommend he leave for his own good. This is a rudderless ship and it is clearly taking its toll on a DeRo.

Frankly I am shocked that the RPB President made this thread. It seems like the kind of 'looking for blame' thread that some random jackass would make.

Too bad the RPB president didn't make this thread.

ZING....MOTHERFUCKER....ZING!!!!!

ilikemusic
04-08-2010, 12:25 PM

I thought Jack was the RPB President? :noidea:

James Oliphant
04-08-2010, 12:25 PM
I thought Jack was the RPB President? :noidea:

You're right...he was...

Checkity-check your tense before you wreck your tense!

Whoop
04-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Now he's just a regular shit disturber. LOL

FluSH
04-08-2010, 12:27 PM

Shit I almost spewed out my lunch on this one.... EL OH EL!!!111

Roogsy
04-08-2010, 12:27 PM
But he's not. He's now the captain and has always been a vocal leader.

It's like you argue just for the sake of arguing :D

Nope...lack of a straight logical argument makes me want to argue.

It's a natural progression, like a flowchart.

Is he a leader? No? Then we can't use "he's a leader" as an excuse for his speaking out.

Yes? Then it begs the question, is what he said inappropriate in any way?

No? Then there should be no criticisms.

Yes? Then we properly criticize when it's warranted. but then also we give credit where credit is due.

The problem for me is people don't follow the natural progression of common sense and logic before going off and demanding a particular behaviour.

At the end of the day, to me the flowchart stops for you at the question "is what he said inappropriate"? I don't see how it is. You made reference to what he "should" be doing (with regards to new players coming in and whatnot) but do not provide any evidence how his statement or any behaviour from his part contradicts that. So in my opinion, you simply have not made your case as to how his statement is airing "dirty laundry" and damaging to the team! Is the way the team is being run like "starting over"? Sure it is! Is it damaging or insulting to other players? I don't see how since he is not talking about them but rather how the team is being built by management. Therefore, I don't see how we can criticize him for doing anything to the team when what he is really doing is calling out management. And I would think we'd applaud him for that rather than criticize him for it.

James Oliphant
04-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Now he's just a regular shit disturber. LOL

I think that's a little dismissive...he's a superb shit disturber in my books. ;)

Roogsy
I had no issue about the grass. It wasn't about his teammates.

I had no issue about the RM comments. It wasn't about his teammates.

I did have an issue with his salary comments with Wheeler at the end of the year. That's starting to encroach on team issues.

This last comment - while on the surface really isn't that bad - IF there are team unity issues (which there is on account of the FO)... fine agreed - IF you see yourself as a leader on the team, or one of the leaders on the team, then really the onus is on you now to make sure the team is unified.

You can lash out at your coach, you can lash at the FO, hell you can even lash out at the supporters once in a while or even your teammates behind closed doors... but team unity, at the end of the day, falls on the player's shoulders. No matter how difficult those around you make it.

And now... without Danny Dichio, without Jim Brennan, without Robbo, it's squarely on his shoulders.

He's the one now that has to say "guys there might be a shitstorm outside this dressing room... but WE have to stick together and WE have to go out and play for each other and WE have to take it on ourselves to make sure we win."

He can't say, "fuck it, the FO is screwed, I hate Preki... I'm just going to go out and play my game."

I'm willing to give him some slack. The situation DeRo's in, the whole team for that matter, will ultimately show his true colours. If he can lead this team to the playoffs, I will take everything back. By the same token, now if we keep hearing about problems on the dressing room... it's on his shoulders.

It's in times of adversity that leadership is made.

These statements are so full of contradictions I don't even know where to start so I won't try.

FluSH

P.S.

That's the kind of team spirit and loyalty we need around here!!!

Jack
04-08-2010, 12:29 PM

I'm not the RPB President. That honour falls to Boris, now.

Listen, you don't have to agree with my opinion, but equating me to some random jackass is not exactly appropriate.

I am asking DeRo to hold himself to a higher standard as a leader of this team. I am asking him to think of more than just himself when he makes comments to the media. I am asking him to be a leader of this team (and it looks like his coach is, too, considering today's events).

There is no doubting DeRo's credentials and I am not calling that into question. His history speaks for itself. I also admire his passion and I think that is a good thing. But I would like to see him harness that passion and put it to good use for this team. Now is not the time to throw more fuel on the already huge fire.

Whoop
04-08-2010, 12:31 PM
These statements are so full of contradictions I don't even know where to start so I won't try.

Where?

tfc2007
agreed.

Whoop
I guess I side with Jack. LOL

I'm glad he's more eloquent than I am.

Jack
04-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Nope...lack of a straight logical argument makes me want to argue.

It's a natural progression, like a flowchart.

Is he a leader? No? Then we can't use "he's a leader" as an excuse for his speaking out.

Yes? Then it begs the question, is what he said inappropriate in any way?

No? Then there should be no criticisms.

Yes? Then we properly criticize when it's warranted. but then also we give credit where credit is due.

The problem for me is people don't follow the natural progression of common sense and logic before going off and demanding a particular behaviour.

At the end of the day, to me the flowchart stops for you at the question "is what he said inappropriate"? I don't see how it is. You made reference to what he "should" be doing (with regards to new players coming in and whatnot) but do not provide any evidence how his statement or any behaviour from his part contradicts that. So in my opinion, you simply have not made your case as to how his statement is airing "dirty laundry" and damaging to the team! Is the way the team is being run like "starting over"? Sure it is! Is it damaging or insulting to other players? I don't see how since he is not talking about them but rather how the team is being built by management. Therefore, I don't see how we can criticize him for doing anything to the team when what he is really doing is calling out management. And I would think we'd applaud him for that rather than criticize him for it.

I guess we don't agree, then. I don't think it was appropriate.

ilikemusic
04-08-2010, 12:35 PM
P.S.

That's the kind of team spirit and loyalty we need around here!!!

Hey, if people dont think he is willing to accept an appropriate leadership role, then maybe we are better off without him.

Why does suggesting DeRo might need a change of scenery mean I am not loyal to TFC?

Frankly I dont care one bit who wears the TFC shirt so long as they perform.

Jack
04-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Nice ninja, olegunnar ;)

And no, I don't have that kind of foresight :D

FluSH
04-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Hey, if people dont think he is willing to accept an appropriate leadership role, then maybe we are better off without him.

Why does suggesting DeRo might need a change of scenery mean I am not loyal to TFC?

Frankly I dont care one bit who wears the TFC shirt so long as they perform.

I wasn't referring to you being loyal to TFC... I'm referring to our players wanting to play as a team... loyal to our club... to our badge.

Anyhow it was a response to your hypothetical suggestion to DeRo... which to me send the wrong message to players we want to attract here...

Roogsy
04-08-2010, 12:39 PM
I guess we don't agree, then. I don't think it was appropriate.

I gathered as much, what I don't understand is what exactly was inappropriate. You said:

What statement? That it was difficult because it was like starting from scratch and it's difficult to build team unity? How is that inappropriate? According to you it's beacuse:

If there's a new guy on the team, why are you not welcoming him and bringing him into the fold? Where is the leadership from a proven veteran, hometown guy and a winner?

And this is where you lost me. How is his statement about the team lacking consistency and it being an obstacle to team unity the same as accusing him of not welcoming in new players? Maybe he is welcoming of them, how would we know either way? How does his statement prove otherwise? Maybe he's the friendliest guy on the planet when a new player comes in, I don't know. But that won't make the team gel faster. Only time does that. Time that is taken away from them every single time management shakes up this team like I change my underwear. Time that is wasted when they go through 2 months of pre-season training only to have a squad that goes into the year that looks nothing like the team that was spending time together in pre-season training. That is what DeRo is referring to. I understood it that way from the moment I read it. How can we read it any other way?

That is a criticism of management, not the players. I highly doubt any players took offence to his statements, quite the contrary, I would guess they probably agreed with them. So then how would that be disruptive to team unity and therefore call into question his leadership? That is what we would need to prove if we're going to dedicate an entire thread calling his leadership into question.

GhostKiller
04-08-2010, 12:40 PM
I’m not reading this entire thread. Some of you people are fuckin retards. Dero has poured everything in to this team, single handedly giving us our first and only trophy. Because you don’t like the honesty of his comments you’re going to bust him up? You people need another fuckin hobby because nothing will ever be good enough for you.

FluSH
04-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Nice ninja, olegunnar ;)

And no, I don't have that kind of foresight :D

He was lucky...

But just so he knows... there are many more sections on this board that are private to members only...

Jack
04-08-2010, 12:43 PM
I’m not reading this entire thread. Some of you people are fuckin retards. Dero has poured everything in to this team, single handedly giving us our first and only trophy. Because you don’t like the honesty of his comments you’re going to bust him up? You people need another fuckin hobby because nothing will ever be good enough for you.

You know what would be better? If you posted without the insults.

I will repeat, no one is questioning what DeRo has done for the team. This thread is simply me asking DeRo to take a stronger leadership role by taking a more big-picture approach when he talks to the media and asking him to make th e most of his leadership of the team (especially now that he's captain).

Since you haven't read the entire thread, you might want to take less of a hard line with your comments when you don't know the whole story.

Jack
04-08-2010, 12:45 PM
I gathered as much, what I don't understand is what exactly was inappropriate. You said:

What statement? That it was difficult because it was like starting from scratch and it's difficult to build team unity? How is that inappropriate? According to you it's beacuse:

And this is where you lost me. How is his statement about the team lacking consistency and it being an obstacle to team unity the same as accusing him of not welcoming in new players? Maybe he is welcoming of them, how would we know either way? How does his statement prove otherwise? Maybe he's the friendliest guy on the planet when a new player comes in, I don't know. But that won't make the team gel faster. Only time does that. Time that is taken away from them every single time management shakes up this team like I change my underwear. Time that is wasted when they go through 2 months of pre-season training only to have a squad that goes into the year that looks nothing like the team that was spending time together in pre-season training. That is what DeRo is referring to. I understood it that way from the moment I read it. How can we read it any other way?

That is a criticism of management, not the players. I highly doubt any players took offence to his statements, quite the contrary, I would guess they probably agreed with them. So then how would that be disruptive to team unity and therefore call into question his leadership? That is what we would need to prove if we're going to dedicate an entire thread calling his leadership into question.

The fact that he didn't know the new guy's name is what led me to believe that he is not welcoming the new players.

Anyway, this is my opinion of the matter and what I would like to see from DeRo. We are now going around in circles, so I'm gonna leave it at that.

Roogsy
04-08-2010, 12:48 PM
Jack...these are players that get told they are being released by TEXT MESSAGES!

How do you think things are being run behind the scenes? How exactly would DeRo know the name of the new player when he was probably not introduced to him at all? Shoot...half the time, the players are the last to know when a new player is coming in at all, other people have to break it to them. That is hardly evidence that DeRo isn't welcoming of them. It's evidence that the team isn't providing an environment where the players become a cohesive unit.

Your criticism should be directed at the root cause of the problem, not the messenger who identified it to you.

Whoop
04-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Hey Roogs, much like I'm giving Preki time to see what he can do... I guess I will afford DeRo time as captain to see what he can do. :D

It's the least I can do.

Preki's previous coaching record... out the window.

DeRo and Montreal... out the window.

Jack
04-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Jack...these are players that get told they are being released by TEXT MESSAGES!

How do you think things are being run behind the scenes? How exactly would DeRo know the name of the new player when he was probably not introduced to him at all? Shoot...half the time, the players are the last to know when a new player is coming in at all, other people have to break it to them. That is hardly evidence that DeRo isn't welcoming of them. It's evidence that the team isn't providing an environment where the players become a cohesive unit.

Your criticism should be directed at the root cause of the problem, not the messenger who identified it to you.

Oh believe me, I have plenty of criticism for the root cause of the problem. Plenty.

But I will say again, when I see someone, even someone as saintly as DeRo, do something that I don't like, I reserve the right to call it.

I should say now: especially DeRo, our captain.

Whoop
04-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Come on Roogs. The new guy was at a practice with him. I mean if he's not introduced to you, take it upon yourself to introduce yourself to him.

No one wonder it looks like the guys on the pitch don't know how to communicate with one another. LOL

Shaughno
04-08-2010, 12:51 PM
To be fair, I DO think DeRo should know the player's name. Especially if he's going to talk about him in an interview, but for all we know he was saying it to emphasize the constant revolving door of players this club has become, especially when it comes to trialists.

GhostKiller
04-08-2010, 12:52 PM
You know what would be better? If you posted without the insults.

I will repeat, no one is questioning what DeRo has done for the team. This thread is simply me asking DeRo to take a stronger leadership role by taking a more big-picture approach when he talks to the media and asking him to make th e most of his leadership of the team (especially now that he's captain).

Since you haven't read the entire thread, you might want to take less of a hard line with your comments when you don't know the whole story.

Pass.

I know how these types of threads go on here.

"Hey Dero: shut up and play" thread is no more hard nosed then what I said.

Check yourself

FluSH
What Would Dichio Do?

That's the question... =)

Whoop
Bah... it's still all Mo's fault.

Everything.

Whoop
04-08-2010, 12:53 PM
What Would Dichio Do?

That's the question... =)

Give a canned response. LOL

Jack
04-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Pass.

Check yourself

Check myself?

You know, I don't know if we've met....

But maybe toning it down on the message board against a fellow member of your group would be a good first step.

Roogsy
04-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Come on Roogs. The new guy was at a practice with him. I mean if he's not introduced to you, take it upon yourself to introduce yourself to him.

No one wonder it looks like the guys on the pitch don't know how to communicate with one another. LOL

Unreal.

This team brings in trialists like I go through Apple Fritters. I'd be surprised if ANYONE on this team knew any of their names.

But DeRo should, he's the one we call out. :facepalm:

Roogsy
04-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Give a canned response. LOL

Nope...that's Jimmy B. I know what he's going to say before he says it! :lol:

menefreghista
Anyone stop to think DeRosario was sarcastically saying he didn't know the new guys name? Taking another shot at management?

Personally I have no problem with DeRo telling it like it is.

If anything, to me this shows more leadership from him than I was expecting. The other players will probably respect him more for this than if he just spouts off all the cliches.

FluSH
Pass.

Check yourself

comeon man... there are strong words

and then there is "some people on here are fucking retards" wtf is that?

Anyhow heat of passion etc... let's settle down...

However you should know if that was a non-member saying that I would have gone for the jugular...

done.

Roogsy
04-08-2010, 12:57 PM
I hate clichιs. They're useless and we have all become so used to players giving us that BS that now we demand it instead of appreciating honest forthright reaction.

And I love DeRo the way he is. Because like me, he says it straight. Plain and simple. You know where you stand with him.

Whoop
04-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Unreal.

This team brings in trialists like I go through Apple Fritters. I'd be surprised if ANYONE on this team knew any of their names.

But DeRo should, he's the one we call out. :facepalm:

He's the social convenor now. LOL

But as mentioned, going forward, he's going to be held to an even higher standard now if he wasn't already.

I'll give him a pass on it now.

Whoop
04-08-2010, 01:00 PM
I hate clichιs. They're useless and we have all become so used to players giving us that BS that now we demand it instead of appreciating honest forthright reaction.

And I love DeRo the way he is. Because like me, he says it straight. Plain and simple. You know where you stand with him.

LOL... you set that one up too perfectly that I'm going to pass on that. LOL

As for the first part... I actually agree that cliches are boring. But there is also a time and place for them. Just as there is a time and place for brutal honesty. I think it was said best though... at the moment... it isn't the best time to pour fuel on the fire.

BUT... like I said... I will give him time. Going forward, he's going to have to learn to pick his spots.

Pookie
04-08-2010, 01:04 PM

It's one thing to appreciate honesty, it's another to actually agree with what is being said.

I like De Rosario. The minute he spoke up about the grass being brought in for RM and how it showed a lack of respect for the guys wearing the TFC logo... that's captain material right there.

I also like Sam Cronin for similar reasons. When we lost in NY, he was in front of the cameras answering questions.

On both occasions, Brennan was invisible.

That said, if De Rosario uses his status to slag the managers over his salary relative to others or the players they've assembled... that's more selfish than it is captain. You don't tear down your teammates in public.

I hope he learns the difference because I think we've improved in the leadership category with Brennan giving up the band.

Those comments are best kept within the room and out of the media.

Shaughno
04-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Hey Roogs... where do I stand with you?

:rofl:

Roogsy
04-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Hey Roogs... where do I stand with you?

I love you bro, you know I do. I love our arguments.

Shaughno
04-08-2010, 01:08 PM
I was gonna say...

112 BITCH!

Roogsy
04-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Jay and I have a bromance going on...

Roogsy
04-08-2010, 01:10 PM
It's one thing to appreciate honesty, it's another to actually agree with what is being said.

I like De Rosario. The minute he spoke up about the grass being brought in for RM and how it showed a lack of respect for the guys wearing the TFC logo... that's captain material right there.

I also like Sam Cronin for similar reasons. When we lost in NY, he was in front of the cameras answering questions.

On both occasions, Brennan was invisible.

That said, if De Rosario uses his status to slag the managers over his salary relative to others or the players they've assembled... that's more selfish than it is captain. You don't tear down your teammates in public.

I hope he learns the difference because I think we've improved in the leadership category with Brennan giving up the band.

Those comments are best kept within the room and out of the media.

Cannot disagree at all. :thumbsup:

Shaughno
04-08-2010, 01:13 PM
haha fuck off. You wish!

AL-MO
04-08-2010, 01:13 PM
The days of the classic Roogsy/Shaughno debate are over.

For better or for worse depending on how you look at it. :D

Shaughno
04-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Now it's on to Jack vs Roogsy?

Round 2: Fight!

Whoop
04-08-2010, 01:17 PM
I think I've taken over for Shags in the debate with Roogsy role. LOL

Shaughno
04-08-2010, 01:18 PM
LOL this is true... go on grasshoppa, make me proud

AL-MO
04-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Jack vs. Roogsy isn't much of a fight.

Just two latinos discussing things "loudly".

:lol:

Shaughno
04-08-2010, 01:19 PM
This is also true... LOL

Whoop
04-08-2010, 01:23 PM
Eh... I'm not as eloquent as Jack.

He's smooth.

Roogsy
04-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Jack vs. Roogsy isn't much of a fight.

Just two latinos discussing things "loudly".

:lol:

That's the only way Latinos know how to discuss.

You'd get the same level of argument in a discussion about whether you should put milk or cream in coffee.

Dirk Diggler
04-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Just have to say that I completely agree with Roogsy on this, as with most others topics of discussion on this board it seems.

Whoop
04-08-2010, 01:36 PM
I think we can all agree that DeRo is a divisive individual. LOL

Boris
04-08-2010, 01:37 PM
That's the only way Latinos know how to discuss.

You'd get the same level of argument in a discussion about whether you should put milk or cream in coffee.

look cabron...its all about milk

Ladies Love Julius James
04-08-2010, 01:38 PM
LOL I can't believe in all of this someone said "check yourself."

This all boils down to fustration over time. Dero isn't happy and is voicing his displeasure. He wasn't speaking to the media but sending a subliminal message to management that they need to get their act together. That's fine in my book. As long as he gives it 100% out on the field and so far he's done that.

ag futbol
04-08-2010, 01:58 PM
I'm ready to cut Dero some slack here, without his candour we'd have ended up watching pseudo-soccer on a plastic pitch for the next 10 years.
His public comments about his contract were more troubling, especially considering he does 10 times what many of his teammates do. That has a much bigger impact on team unity.
FYP

I would rather he shut up, but these type of topics are completely overboard.

He's part of the maybe 20% of this team that can actually pull its own weight. That's the bottom line for me, because without him we're nowhere.

I think we should start looking more critically at all the chummy nice guys who are frankly completely useless. But because they come across as nice people, we get hilarious arguments all the time about how they'll improve through all their hard work and effort (how many times has that panned out?).

Performance > everything else

Boondaddy
04-08-2010, 02:00 PM
I agree with Jack. Team captains can't be going around saying dumb shit like that to the media. Sarcastic or not, he needs to think before speaking. The result? Negative threads likes this.

Gazza
04-08-2010, 02:03 PM
I appreciate his honesty, i think he'll make a great captain. Everyone talks about how this team is in shambles, well, he's your captain and he's letting you know he sees it too. All he can do about it is produce on the field which he has done since he's started his career.

Plus he's from Scarborough. Brrrrap!

FC Porto
04-08-2010, 02:12 PM
I've never agreed more with the title of a thread more then this one.

And now that we have grass, I don't want to see DeRo pull up with 5 minutes left in a home game (if he's scored a goal and TFC are winning) so he can get his ovation as he's being subbed off and walking slowly off the pitch.

It happened a little to often last year to simply be coincidence. What's wrong DeRo? want to make sure Mo hears how much everybody loves you?....... pussy!

McBrace
04-08-2010, 02:14 PM

And now that we have grass, I don't want to see DeRo pull up with 5 minutes left in a home game if he's scored a goal in it so he can get his ovation as he's being subbed off and walking slowly off the pitch.

It happened a little to often last year to simply be coincidence. What's wrong DeRo? want to make sure Mo hears how much everybody loves you?....... pussy!

That may be a tad harsh...

Gazza
04-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Making a villain out of the only player we have who produces like he should (dp production even). Typical toronto sports fans...i wonder why anyone would want to play here. What a shame. The guy echoes the same sentiments of its fans, yet takes criticism for it.

Perhaps he should let us know that everything is hunky-dory? That in Mo we trust? Get a grip.

Jack
04-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Making a villain out of the only player we have who produces like he should (dp production even). Typical toronto sports fans...i wonder why anyone would want to play here. What a shame. The guy echoes the same sentiments of its fans, yet takes criticism for it.

Perhaps he should let us know that everything is hunky-dory? That in Mo we trust? Get a grip.

Let's get one thing straight, I am absolutely not trying to make him a villain here.

I am simply calling on him to hold himself to a higher standard of leadership.

We need DeRo to be the man in all aspects this season if we are to have any hope of even minor success.

FC Porto
04-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Let's get one thing straight, I am absolutely not trying to make him a villain here.

We need DeRo to be the man in all aspects this season if we are to have any hope of even minor success.

Let's get another thing straight......Shutup and play DeRo!

As for his little pattern of wanting to get his ovation, fair enough, know that you've been given the bait to look out for, you (and everyone else)can make your own judgement as the season goes on.

Whoop
04-08-2010, 02:23 PM
No excuses this year....

That goes for everyone on the team this year. From the top to the bottom.

Roogsy
04-08-2010, 02:23 PM

And now that we have grass, I don't want to see DeRo pull up with 5 minutes left in a home game (if he's scored a goal and TFC are winning) so he can get his ovation as he's being subbed off and walking slowly off the pitch.

This post is digusting.

Gazza
04-08-2010, 02:24 PM
He spoke out against field turf, we got grass. If he speaks out about Mo and Garcia, we're golden!

Don't shut up De Ro, speak out more and continue to score! Hey...now that sounds like a chant!

Jack
04-08-2010, 02:31 PM
He spoke out against field turf, we got grass. If he speaks out about Mo and Garcia, we're golden!

Don't shut up De Ro, speak out more and continue to score! Hey...now that sounds like a chant!

So you think DeRo's comments were the one and only reason we got grass? :facepalm:

Gazza
04-08-2010, 02:32 PM
When your best player speaks, you usually listen...the wheels weren't in motion until he did. But no, not the only reason i hope.

McBrace
04-08-2010, 02:34 PM
This post is digusting.

Couldn't agree more...

FC Porto
04-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Jack I'm buying u a beer if I ever meet you! Kudos to you for having a pair and speaking out against the golden child.

Jack
04-08-2010, 02:38 PM
When your best player speaks, you usually listen...the wheels weren't in motion until he did. But no, not the only reason i hope.

The wheels were in motion well before he spoke. I won't say he didn't add momentum, but the bid for grass was already underway.

Pigfynn
04-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Although I agree with aspects of both sides of this...I do think this thread has become a bad one.

I wouldn't want any player to read this divisive stuff so close to a game that really needs to unite us. No?

Gazza
04-08-2010, 02:43 PM
Well said Pigfynn. Although, i'm not here that often, i do get the feeling that the majority on this site are anti-Mo. Sounds to me that you now have a voice with your captain also being anti-Mo. And he won't pull punches, on or off the field. I DO believe he was made captain by default. I'm sure next in line is Nick Garcia(good lord).

But he's one of the best players in the league and is very intense. He'll speak his mind because he's earned the right to. I only hope he can now get rid of that horrible goal celebration (oh, and lead us into the playoffs).

J .
04-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Its DeRos team now, we wanted him, Mo delivered. Now its up to DeRo to take this team on his shoulders. If he plays like a league MVP we can go far.

Menelaos
04-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Hey Jack!

Thank you for posting EXACTLY what I was thinking when I read what DeRo said to the media.

Richard

Roogsy
04-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Its DeRos team now, we wanted him, Mo delivered. Now its up to DeRo to take this team on his shoulders. If he plays like a league MVP we can go far.

With this team??? :eek:

I don't care if you're Messi himself, this team is horrendously undermanned to go anywhere. DeRo can't solve other people's problems and failings. You're asking too much.

Pigfynn
04-08-2010, 02:48 PM

I don't care if you're Messi himself, this team is horrendously undermanned to go anywhere. DeRo can't solve other people's problems and failings. You're asking too much.

ummmm no, I have to disagree there. We add Messi to this lot and we easily make the playoffs...minimum

Ladies Love Julius James
04-08-2010, 02:50 PM
I diagree, adding Messi to the team would help immensly, but people forget forget that this is soccer. One man can't play 11 positions, the team would still be in disarray

trane
04-08-2010, 02:51 PM
^ That is the point forget Messi, even Balotelli could not help.

Ladies Love Julius James
04-08-2010, 02:54 PM
People think it's easy for one man to come over and just tear apart the MLS. It isn't the case. It takes more than just scoring goals to win a game and be a successful club. You need to have more skills and the MLS just doesn't have that. It's still a very amateur league in terms of crossing, defence, and management. Messi would help no doubt about it but would he come over here score a shitload of goals and bring instant playoffs, I highly doubt it.

T.Reis
04-08-2010, 02:58 PM
I don't mind DeRo.

My question is will he be given the arm band now even after he's spoken out a few times (even about MLSE if me remebers correctly) and has shown that he may not be able to keep quiet at certain moments that a captain should.

And if he doesn't get the armband, how will he act about it?

Dirk Diggler
04-08-2010, 03:00 PM
I have to disagree. Messi won't make this team a champion but you add him to last year's TFC, we make the playoffs guaranteed. I agree that individual talent only takes you so far in the world of football but the improvement would still be enough to take us to the playoffs. People forget that despite us missing the playoffs last year, we were still relatively close in terms of points in order to make the playoffs. We add Messi to the team, we make up those points without a doubt.

GhostKiller
04-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Check myself?

You know, I don't know if we've met....

But maybe toning it down on the message board against a fellow member of your group would be a good first step.

no never met....

And to be honest, I didn't intend for you to take it as heavy as you did. What I wanted to say was already said

Phil
04-08-2010, 03:01 PM
I don't mind DeRo.

My question is will he be given the arm band now even after he's spoken out a few times (even about MLSE if me remebers correctly) and has shown that he may not be able to keep quiet at certain moments that a captain should.

And if he doesn't get the armband, how will he act about it?

Confirmed today, he has the armband.

T.Reis
04-08-2010, 03:04 PM
/\ Kool! Thanks for the 411 Rooney! How the hell u come back from injury yesterday? lol - just kiddin!

Belfast_Boy
04-08-2010, 03:07 PM
^ That is the point forget Messi, even Balotelli could not help.

how about DeRo, Messi and Balotelli???!!!!!!

Ladies Love Julius James
04-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Yea then they'll be okay with those 3 LOL

trane
04-08-2010, 03:09 PM
^We may be OK, in that case, but maybe get Gerrard to play as the CM.

Jehu
04-08-2010, 03:09 PM
oh, and do something about that offside problem... thanks!
Now I know why I stayed away from the forum last year and I see nothing has changed. Offside...you guys complained about another guy who played for Toronto, wait he was the golden boot champ.
The guy is right we have a crappy team that changes every week.
There is no team.:facepalm:

GBV
04-08-2010, 03:15 PM

+ 1 ! ! ! !

Roogsy
04-08-2010, 03:17 PM
ummmm no, I have to disagree there. We add Messi to this lot and we easily make the playoffs...minimum

LOL! You're missing the point. If DeRo and his 11 goals last year couldn't get us into the playoffs, how is it just because he was given the armband and even FEWER players, we're asking him to do better? That's ridiculous. That was the point of my post. I can't believe people are dwelling on the Messi reference. The point is one man can't do it all and Mo hasn't given DeRo anything to work with.

trane
04-08-2010, 03:18 PM
^ As far as JJ, me and Belfast Boy, we are joking.

Belfast_Boy
04-08-2010, 03:19 PM
DeRo has a hard job ahead. he'll be trying to motivate a team that are losing games and are having a hard time scoring. being Captain of a winning side is much easier than one that's losing and letting in late goals.
playoffs would be great, but to be honest I can't see it.

Ladies Love Julius James
04-08-2010, 03:21 PM
LOL! You're missing the point. If DeRo and his 11 goals last year couldn't get us into the playoffs, how is it just because he was given the armband and even FEWER players, we're asking him to do better? That's ridiculous. That was the point of my post. I can't believe people are dwelling on the Messi reference. The point is one man can't do it all and Mo hasn't given DeRo anything to work with.

You made an excellent point with the Messi reference though. People often think one guy can come here and make a world of difference, it isn't the case. Cohesiveness is underestimated.

Belfast_Boy
04-08-2010, 03:21 PM
^ As far as JJ, me and Belfast Boy, we are joking.

you guys were joking??????
sorry Lucas just scored for us and I'm having a hard time dealing with it.

Jack
04-08-2010, 03:24 PM
no never met....

And to be honest, I didn't intend for you to take it as heavy as you did. What I wanted to say was already said

Alright then. Let's have a beer at Shoeless one of these games :D

Then you can tell me to check myself and I won't take it heavy!

Anyway, my response to that post you quoted:

TFC Cityboy
04-08-2010, 03:25 PM
this thread completely justifies the existence of a member only area
:)

Roogsy
04-08-2010, 03:31 PM
We have one! :lol:

GhostKiller
04-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Alright then. Let's have a beer at Shoeless one of these games :D

Then you can tell me to check myself and I won't take it heavy!

Anyway, my response to that post you quoted:

Done!

Pachuco
04-08-2010, 03:42 PM
I thought I was doing a good job of backing up Dero's personality in this thread until Roogsy stepped in. Took the words out of my mouth everytime I tried to say anything..haha.

J .
04-08-2010, 03:55 PM

This team isnt horrible, its got one of the best midfields in the league and a solid keeper. In MLS its a playoff team and the team will go as far as JDG and DeRo take it.

Messi would score two a game in MLS :)

ag futbol
04-08-2010, 04:28 PM
This team isnt horrible, its got one of the best midfields in the league and a solid keeper.
If by midfield you mean guys who play in the middle of the midfield sure.

I wouldn't say we have one of the best mids because we're basically relying on three guys (JDG, Dero, and Cronin) who would all rather play centrally. There's zero effective wide play. Not enough pace, not enough ability to take on the man, etc..

Gabe Gala can start out wide for this team, that's not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Roogsy
04-08-2010, 04:39 PM

I wouldn't say we have one of the best mids because we're basically relying on three guys (JDG, Dero, and Cronin) who would all rather play centrally. There's zero effective wide play. Not enough pace, not enough ability to take on the man, etc..

Gabe Gala can start out wide for this team, that's not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Thank you.

Finally somebody addresses the issue that having a "great midfield" isn't the same thing as having a collection of "great midfielders".

Like I said before, this team is a mish-mash of players out of position. It's a prime example of "figure it out as you go along" and "sign whoever is available" mentality that doesn't show anything being "built" but rather simply thrown together.

Whoop
04-08-2010, 04:40 PM
It's been the case pretty much since the start...

rocker
04-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Like I said before, this team is a mish-mash of players out of position. It's a prime example of "figure it out as you go along" and "sign whoever is available" mentality that doesn't show anything being "built" but rather simply thrown together.

I think that was the case pre-Preki. But Preki seems to be bringing in guys for specific reasons and specific needs.

trane
04-08-2010, 04:58 PM
you guys were joking??????
sorry Lucas just scored for us and I'm having a hard time dealing with it.

hahaha, every club has one, for Milan its Dida every time he stops a shot I am surpised.

ag futbol
04-08-2010, 04:59 PM
I agree, Preki is very position specific. Almost overly so... (from what I've seen at least).

But that being said, problems still exist. I would never describe Cronin as a winger or Attakora as a RB.

denime
04-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Thank you.

Finally somebody addresses the issue that having a "great midfield" isn't the same thing as having a collection of "great midfielders".

I think only Preki knows what is going on as far team building and direction goes.
I'm sure nothing is simply being thrown together under Preki,before him,yes it was just a short term fixes with long term guaranteed contracts.:facepalm:

Preki is here to stay not get fired after few months or a year,he doesn't have England to go back or FO positions to fill up,his reputation is on line.
So if Preki "the Prick" makes certain players move he has a good reason for that and I don't think it is just simply thrown together.

Is DeRo a real leader it will show in the next few games,this team needs leadership on the field,or maybe Preki made him Captain until he "figures it out as they go along" that he is not the natural leader.

I honestly think he should talk less and keep playing as he always does 100% game in and game out.

DichioTFC
04-08-2010, 05:39 PM
We are coming up on the eve of our second match of the season. We have seen unusual events happen with our team, both with the retirement of Jim Brennan and the swirling rumours of discord in the dressing room.

No more excuses from the players about what is happening behind the scenes. You have a job to do. Get out on that pitch and do it!

DeRosario, we need you to lead, to set the example, to bring the team together! Not criticize in public and make negative comments. You complain about building team unity to the press?

Listen, we love and support our team through good times and bad, but internal divisions and crap have got to stop. It is time to put up or shut up on the field.

Put the work in and take that team by the scruff of the neck and make it yours. Bring them together and lead in the dressing room, not in the newspapers. You're here to play for us. We pay your salary.

Shut up and play.

I like the cut of your jib. ;)

But yeah, DeRo needs to stay classy now. For all of Jimmy B's faults, for better or for worse he remained classy till the end. Sure he should've spoke up about certain things in between but he stayed classy, he didn't whine and bitch any chance he got.... hell, he never whined and bitched EVER.

Complaining might be DeRo's way of dealing with things he's upset with, but it's probably not the best way for everyone else, it teaches the youngsters the wrong example, and its more counter-productive than productive.

All things considered, lets hope DeRo can bring some on-field leadership, it would be great to see DeRo's on-field enthusiasm shared by the squad.

DichioTFC
04-08-2010, 06:05 PM
on a slightly unrelated topic, check out the pic on the MLSsoccer.com article about DeRo being captain

http://www.mlssoccer.com/content/tfc-names-de-rosario-captain

How many of his teammates are still in BMO red?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/default/files/image_nodes/2010/04/dero.jpg

One of these things are not like the others...

dannyd
04-08-2010, 06:18 PM
Anyone questioning DeRo's leadership qualities should have their head checked. This is the man that MADE the miracle in Montreal. He has the balls to speak out for his team mates. Brennan is classy?! really he used to just hide behind his locker. DeRo is a true captain who will stand up for his team and stick his neck out. There's nothing wrong with that.

Preki doesn't screw around, he realizes what needs to be done and does it. You want someone who takes there time doing something, we should just have Mo Johnston coach as well - he takes 5 years to sign 11 players apparently that's a good thing around here.

Yeoman
04-08-2010, 06:20 PM
at the same time bitches that he deserves DP quality money as often as any of the stuff he's done for the team?
seems to yell more at the players on the field with him then anything else from what i've seen.

dannyd
04-08-2010, 06:29 PM
at the same time bitches that he deserves DP quality money as often as any of the stuff he's done for the team?
seems to yell more at the players on the field with him then anything else from what i've seen.

Look at what DeRo has done in his career... if he's not the definition of a "winner" I don't know what is. The people he's "yelling" at have nowhere near his kind of resume. If he needs to fire them up, great. I think he deserves more money, so whats wrong with that - you've never asked for a raise?! From what I saw last year, Jimmy B did a lot more whining to the refs, even had discipline problems yet he was too much of a pussy to stand up to under-performing team mates.
You criticize DeRo, but mark my words, with him as a captain and Jimmy B out of the side, you will see a much more cohesive and disciplined TFC this year...

FluSH
04-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Anyone questioning DeRo's leadership qualities should have their head checked. This is the man that MADE the miracle in Montreal. He has the balls to speak out for his team mates. Brennan is classy?! really he used to just hide behind his locker. DeRo is a true captain who will stand up for his team and stick his neck out. There's nothing wrong with that.

Preki doesn't screw around, he realizes what needs to be done and does it. You want someone who takes there time doing something, we should just have Mo Johnston coach as well - he takes 5 years to sign 11 players apparently that's a good thing around here.

There is no doubt that DeRo has proven his worth/weight in gold out there on the pitch.

He's actually exceed my expectations and the Miracle in Montreal is just but one example. Maybe it's his words that he needs to chose more carefully... at the end of the day... we are all behind DeRosario and Toronto FC once that whistle blows.

dannyd
04-08-2010, 06:35 PM
There is no doubt that DeRo has proven his worth/weight in gold out there on the pitch.

He's actually exceed my expectations and the Miracle in Montreal is just but one example. Maybe it's his words that he needs to chose more carefully... at the end of the day... we are all behind DeRosario and Toronto FC once that whistle blows.

I don't know. I understand what you're saying, however, this isn't a political campaign, it's a soccer team. I find there's been too much "choosing words carefully" around this team and it needs a huge reality check and some honesty. I think right now is a good time for some of DeRo's candor to be captain. Maybe some day it won't be the right style but I think this is what the team needs now. It needs a major kick in the back-side and Preki is doing just that. I think DeRo will help.

DichioTFC
04-08-2010, 06:37 PM

Easy there Double Ds. Scoring a hat trick doesn't automatically elevate someone into captaincy status. JDG, DeRo, Dichio, Robbo and other teammates all spoke out about Brennan being a great locker room influence. I personally like DeRo as captain, but he does need to shut up and play. Being professional is a pretty good attribute for a captain, its a common attribute for all captains, and its something that DeRo (an 11 year veteran) should bear as captain.

FluSH
04-08-2010, 06:45 PM
I don't know. I understand what you're saying, however, this isn't a political campaign, it's a soccer team. I find there's been too much "choosing words carefully" around this team and it needs a huge reality check and some honesty. I think right now is a good time for some of DeRo's candor to be captain. Maybe some day it won't be the right style but I think this is what the team needs now. It needs a major kick in the back-side and Preki is doing just that. I think DeRo will help.

Well DeRo is the Captain now... only time will tell.

jabbronies
04-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Well, what's done is done. Dero is the captain. This is now truly a new team and we'll see a different attitude on the field from these guys for sure. Dero is a scarborough boy, he's rough and plays rough, I'm sure he'll expect everyone else to play the same way.

We'll see how things progress from here.

Yeoman
04-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Look at what DeRo has done in his career... if he's not the definition of a "winner" I don't know what is. The people he's "yelling" at have nowhere near his kind of resume. If he needs to fire them up, great. I think he deserves more money, so whats wrong with that - you've never asked for a raise?! From what I saw last year, Jimmy B did a lot more whining to the refs, even had discipline problems yet he was too much of a pussy to stand up to under-performing team mates.
You criticize DeRo, but mark my words, with him as a captain and Jimmy B out of the side, you will see a much more cohesive and disciplined TFC this year...

that's what i don't get here. 'winner' never tried to put any real effort in any of the european dreams he had. i know i'd be damn sure working my ass off to get there.
instead just came back here to try and be a big fish in a shitty little pond.

dannyd
04-08-2010, 06:52 PM
Easy there Double Ds. Scoring a hat trick doesn't automatically elevate someone into captaincy status. JDG, DeRo, Dichio, Robbo and other teammates all spoke out about Brennan being a great locker room influence. I personally like DeRo as captain, but he does need to shut up and play. Being professional is a pretty good attribute for a captain, its a common attribute for all captains, and its something that DeRo (an 11 year veteran) should bear as captain.

...and yet players spoke publicly last year that the locker room was the biggest problem within the team...

Dirk Diggler
04-08-2010, 06:56 PM
that's what i don't get here. 'winner' never tried to put any real effort in any of the european dreams he had. i know i'd be damn sure working my ass off to get there.

Come on. We are going to use this against him now? Maybe he realized that he has limited potential in Europe and preferred to come back to a strong team in MLS rather than play for a bottom of the barrel team in England. He would have made more money there but who knows? Maybe success and family were more important factors to him.

jabbronies
04-08-2010, 06:57 PM

This I don't agree with. Just because he didn't go to Europe you question whether or not he's a "winner"?
Look at the way he plays, the guy leaves everything on the field. That effort alone should consider him a winner. He's won championships in this league, MVP trophies, he's scored highlight reel goals.

I don't think he'd be a good captain, but I'd never question his ability to be considered a winner.

dannyd
04-08-2010, 06:58 PM

So he's not a winner because he plays in MLS and doesn't want to live in Europe? whatever some people will find any reason to criticize someone I guess...

Yeoman
04-08-2010, 06:58 PM
but yet you all fapped about gerba coming
from mk dons?
i just think that dero should just shut up and play

torontocelt
04-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by ag futbol http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/redbar/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=967257#post967257)

Thank you.

That's funny because you thought a midfield of DeRo, Vitti, DeGuzman and Gueverra would be 'potent' and I would say that is a midfield that would never have worked. We basically seen the same midfield last year at times with Cronin or Robbo in place of DeGuzman and it simply did not work. In fact we probably did see the midfield you are talking about at some point or another in the later half of the season once we had JDG. Vitti, Gueverra and DeRo all want to play through the middle, they would constantly drift inside leaving no one on the flanks and it did not help our full backs when they had no one up the wing. If ever there were three players who could not work effectively together as a team and maintain their position it was these three players. Ag futbol is right in his assessment that DeRo, Cronin and DeGuzman all want to play centrally and you agree with him yet you think the inclusion of Vitti and Gueverra is somehow going to be potent and somehow add the missing width, I do not get it?

dannyd
04-08-2010, 07:04 PM
but yet you all fapped about gerba coming
from mk dons?
i just think that dero should just shut up and play

If it's any consolation, I don't think DeRo really cares what you think lol...

Chewy Unikronik
04-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Our "best" player shouldn't be the captain, just because he's the best.

If there are so many new faces and everyone is still getting the know each other, then character should win out. Sheeeeeeit... If it's Garcia, Attakora, Frei or Jesus Shuttlesworth... so be it!

Seniority at this point is mute.

DichioTFC
04-08-2010, 07:07 PM
Well, what's done is done. Dero is the captain. This is now truly a new team and we'll see a different attitude on the field from these guys for sure. Dero is a scarborough boy, he's rough and plays rough, I'm sure he'll expect everyone else to play the same way.

We'll see how things progress from here.

Hear Hear!

DeRo should bring his determined style onto the pitch and hopefully the other players pick up from his example... and FFS guys, lets give DeRo more than one game to prove himself as captain.

Slightly unrelated note, I wonder if DeRo tutoring any players, like how Robbo was tutoring Cronin.

Dirk Diggler
04-08-2010, 07:14 PM
There is more to being a captain than just being some sort of "leader", a quality that no one can really measure. Sometimes you have to lead by example (ex. your play on the field). This is the reason why players like Sidney Crosby are captains of their team ... they go out there, bust their butts and deliver results. Maybe DeRo is too divisive in terms of some of the things he says but at the end of the day, that is really nitpicking. I suspect he'll learn to be more diplomatic once he gets the armband. In the meanwhile, he is the most skilled, succesful and hardworking player on the team and he rightly deserves the C.

DichioTFC
04-08-2010, 07:36 PM
There is more to being a captain than just being some sort of "leader", a quality that no one can really measure. Sometimes you have to lead by example (ex. your play on the field). This is the reason why players like Sidney Crosby are captains of their team ... they go out there, bust their butts and deliver results. Maybe DeRo is too divisive in terms of some of the things he says but at the end of the day, that is really nitpicking. I suspect he'll learn to be more diplomatic once he gets the armband. In the meanwhile, he is the most skilled, succesful and hardworking player on the team and he rightly deserves the C.

There are clear metrics with which to measure leadership. Results, dedication, self-motivation, motivating others, reaching out to others, creating workplace harmony, relaying concerns of colleagues to management, diplomacy... most of these you mentioned that DeRo have going in his favour (results, dedication, self-motivation) but there are others that are questionable (motivating others, reaching out to others,harmonious workplace, relaying concerns, diplomacy). Nobody here really knows the strength of DeRo's characteristics with those criteria, but I suspect that he'll be successful so long as he maintains a positive working relationship with his colleagues.

Ontario Arab
04-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Give Barrett the C and see what happens.

Blazer
04-08-2010, 07:45 PM

+1.

This isn’t about “doing a job”. What, TFC isn’t doing their job? Newsflash, they’re doing their job like everyone else, they’re just no good at that job because their workers aren't as talented. This isn’t a switch that can be turned on or off.

This isn’t a great team. Shut our mouths and deal with it.

Chevy
04-08-2010, 07:49 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/default/files/image_nodes/2010/04/dero.jpg

One of these things are not like the others...

Yeah. One is really fat.

Yeoman
04-08-2010, 08:07 PM
If it's any consolation, I don't think DeRo really cares what you think lol...

thank goodness, for a second there, i thought we were on a message board discussing the team where none of the players dare to venture into :rolleyes:

Roogsy
04-08-2010, 08:16 PM
That's funny because you thought a midfield of DeRo, Vitti, DeGuzman and Gueverra would be 'potent' and I would say that is a midfield that would never have worked. We basically seen the same midfield last year at times with Cronin or Robbo in place of DeGuzman and it simply did not work. In fact we probably did see the midfield you are talking about at some point or another in the later half of the season once we had JDG. Vitti, Gueverra and DeRo all want to play through the middle, they would constantly drift inside leaving no one on the flanks and it did not help our full backs when they had no one up the wing. If ever there were three players who could not work effectively together as a team and maintain their position it was these three players. Ag futbol is right in his assessment that DeRo, Cronin and DeGuzman all want to play centrally and you agree with him yet you think the inclusion of Vitti and Gueverra is somehow going to be potent and somehow add the missing width, I do not get it?

For Toronto I prefer a broader midfield, probably a 4-5-1 setup where we can actually use our breadth of midfielders. Don't ask me who'd be on top, that would be something we'd need to address, but for the sake of argument, I would like to see a "Dichio-esque" player there. And the fifth midfielder, a true, winger to provide some width up the flanks. Something like:

------------Dichio-----------
Winger--Guevara--Vitti--DeRo
----------De Guzman---------
Wingback--CB--CB--Wingback
-------------Frei-------------

DeRo has played on the wing during his career, and even though it's not his favourite position, that is where I would play him to allow the centrally-minded players to remain up the middle. Not only that, but Vitti had the skills to overlap with DeRo as well and dominate the flank.

And I'd want to to have some real wingbacks. You know, someone like Wynne but with actual footie skills. A setup like that I believe allows for flexibility to control the ball up the middle but also have a threat from the wings.

The "potent" midfield of Vitti, DeRo, Guevara and JDG was a reference more to their individual abilities but it always relied on additional help from competent signings that would compliment them. But I still believe it would have been a great core to build around provided you address the shortcomings that this midfield would have definitely had such as width.

It's all a "moo" point now anyways.

James17930
04-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Excellent choice for captain. (and thank bloody hell it was Garcia)

De Ro is gonna grab this team by the balls and hurl us into the win column.

I really, really hope.

torontocelt
04-08-2010, 09:14 PM
For Toronto I prefer a broader midfield, probably a 4-5-1 setup where we can actually use our breadth of midfielders. Don't ask me who'd be on top, that would be something we'd need to address, but for the sake of argument, I would like to see a "Dichio-esque" player there. And the fifth midfielder, a true, winger to provide some width up the flanks. Something like:

-------------Frei-------------

DeRo has played on the wing during his career, and even though it's not his favourite position, that is where I would play him to allow the centrally-minded players to remain up the middle. Not only that, but Vitti had the skills to overlap with DeRo as well and dominate the flank.

And I'd want to to have some real wingbacks. You know, someone like Wynne but with actual footie skills. A setup like that I believe allows for flexibility to control the ball up the middle but also have a threat from the wings.

The "potent" midfield of Vitti, DeRo, Guevara and JDG was a reference more to their individual abilities but it always relied on additional help from competent signings that would compliment them. But I still believe it would have been a great core to build around provided you address the shortcomings that this midfield would have definitely had such as width.

It's all a "moo" point now anyways.

-------------Frei--

I would suggest considering we are so poor defensively this attacking line up would see us conceding even more goals. The problem with DeRo out on the wing is that he would not score as much goals and would not be disciplined enough to maintain his position. Wing backs are designed to of course run the wings, overlapping the midfield if need be to provide more of an attacking option. In this case if either wingback were to make their way up the pitch it would effectively leave our already leaky defence with only two center backs and possibly the other wing back and plenty of room down one flank. I would presume that De Guzman would either cover a wing back or roughly sit in the middle of midfield, either way I don't think it would bode well for the shambles that we call our back line. There would also be trouble in the middle of the park with Vitti and Guevara not providing enough grit to cover back, leaving more space. I did see Vitti chase back when he played but this kind of system is giving him a lot of license to attack and not so much defend. I couldn't really see Guevara doing much tracking back whatsoever. I think that a team playing a solid 4,4,2 would find too many gaps in the middle of the park and down the flanks and catch us on the counter. There are in my opinion too many flair players in the team and I would doubt they would be able to work hard enough when they dont have the ball to make life difficult for the opposition. It is in effect a kind of brazilian way of football which is fine if you have great players but those kind of players dont really exist in the MLS. It is interesting though, I just dont think it could realistically work, I think DeGuzman would probably tear all of his hair out at the prospect of tidying up after so many attacking players.

Roogsy
04-08-2010, 09:17 PM
True. But you're coming from a point of view of looking at our current roster as it is right now including the fact that I don't think we have a single actual real starting defender.

My scenario only plays out if we had an actual, real backline, which would allow for attacking football. A dream I know...but a man can dream, especially when reality bites so hard.

Either way, there is no denying the potency of a midfield like that. We were never close to having anything like this I know. But being that we're staring down the barrel of a season where we will probably score less goals than last year, and probably the same number that we scored in our first year (with another drought probably in the cards as well)...forgive me for going into the land of hopeful wishing. We're all going to be doing that during this season. :D

Alonso
04-08-2010, 09:57 PM

I don't understand why we have to do this. ^^^

Roogsy
04-08-2010, 10:07 PM
I missed that comment. Pretty shitty if you ask me. Definitely don't agree.

MLS is full of players who didn't cut it in Europe. Landon Donovan was accused of the very same thing until his 2nd or 3rd attempt in Europe. We could have said the same thing about him until recently. Are we going to cast every player in MLS with this tag? Really?

I'd respond simply by saying I'd prefer to be a big fish in a little pond as opposed to being a little fish in the same little pond. And if this is the way we're going to view these players, it begs the question why we're watching them at all?

Poor form.

torontocelt
04-09-2010, 06:36 AM
True. But you're coming from a point of view of looking at our current roster as it is right now including the fact that I don't think we have a single actual real starting defender.

My scenario only plays out if we had an actual, real backline, which would allow for attacking football. A dream I know...but a man can dream, especially when reality bites so hard.

Either way, there is no denying the potency of a midfield like that. We were never close to having anything like this I know. But being that we're staring down the barrel of a season where we will probably score less goals than last year, and probably the same number that we scored in our first year (with another drought probably in the cards as well)...forgive me for going into the land of hopeful wishing. We're all going to be doing that during this season. :D

The thing is, could we do much worse with this line up? I would have been willing to try it just to see what happened although I do think it would have been picked apart. When your best results in more defeats than normal and no creativity up the park then why not give it a shot and see what happens?

P-NUTZ
04-09-2010, 02:31 PM
DERO is a fantastic canadian player. He gets my support no matter what. He is the most skilled and the most dangerous guy on the field. I say let him captain how he sees fit, his way. He doesn't waste words and thats a dam refreshing reality to the morons we have had to hear from over the years like cummins and garcia to top the bunch. PREKI and DERO are a huge relief to my ears.