PDA

View Full Version : A couple of interesting threads

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-18-2008, 05:49 PM
Edu to Sunderland:

http://z15.invisionfree.com/U_Sector/index.php?showtopic=6940 (http://z15.invisionfree.com/U_Sector/index.php?showtopic=6940)

Big TFC news on GolTV

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16046 (http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16046)

Anyone got any info. to share on either of these fronts?

Ron Manager
06-18-2008, 05:58 PM
Anyone catch this?

Keyman
06-18-2008, 05:58 PM
Honestly, Edu doesn't fit in our system. He's going to be gone relatively soon anyhow, so I wouldn't be too angry to see him go. Especially if we were to make a substantial addition up front, with the roster spot + money we would recieve. I think it will happen.

Also, anyone know what kind of news could possibly be breaking?

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-18-2008, 06:03 PM
Edu transfer, incoming striker, TFC link up with a Euro club . . . Academy player moving to Arsenal?:noidea:

olegunnar
06-18-2008, 06:06 PM
MLS expansion to Ottawa? That's a real story?

Keyman
06-18-2008, 06:09 PM
Didn't GOLTV decide that they were going to have a weekly segment with Mo? Is he going to be on to break the news?

Or is this all just a lie.....

Nodoubtguy
06-18-2008, 06:15 PM
I only caught the back end of the Ottawa story...was there anything before that?

olegunnar
06-18-2008, 06:15 PM
It started right after the Jamaica game at 7pm.
The lead story was some Ottawa guy wants to bring the MLS to Ottawa and build a new soccer specific stadium there.
GolTV called the MLS' offices and apparently they said the commish isn't here to comment but our director of expansion is in Ottawa.

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-18-2008, 06:18 PM
The lead story was some Ottawa guy wants to bring the MLS to Ottawa and build a new soccer specific stadium there.
GolTV called the MLS' offices and apparently they said the commish isn't here to comment but our director of expansion is in Ottawa.

Interesting. A little disappointing in that I was hoping for some TFC news. Did they say who’s leading the bid?

London
06-18-2008, 06:20 PM
nothing succeeds in ottawa, since it is football maybe they will call them the roughriders???

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-18-2008, 06:20 PM

401 Derby..I love it!

Keyman
06-18-2008, 06:23 PM
So, is that it? Ottawa? That's the news?

arsenal
06-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Interesting. A little disappointing in that I was hoping for some TFC news. Did they say who’s leading the bid?

Senators owner

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-18-2008, 06:26 PM
Senators owner

Thanks. Well, he’s got the dosh. Still seems a little far fetched to me. Nothing against Ottawa, but is it big enough?

Lucky Strike
06-18-2008, 06:31 PM
I'd be glad to sell Edu: maybe that's why Mo is interested in Justin Mapp from Chicago in the whole McBride saga.

The Pope
06-18-2008, 06:35 PM
Ottawa better get in line, there's 4 or 5 (bigger) cities ahead of them

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-18-2008, 06:39 PM
I'd be glad to sell Edu: maybe that's why Mo is interested in Justin Mapp from Chicago in the whole McBride saga.

What do you think about MLS in Ottawa? I notice you’ve got Ottawa listed as your location.

TFC07
06-18-2008, 06:39 PM
Wow! So Ottawa wants a team too? Maybe we should form a Canadian soccer league. We got Montreal, Vancouver and Ottawa wanting a team while Toronto has a team, and I am sure Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Quebec City, Regina and Halifax can support a soccer team. That is enough to start a professional soccer league.

Keyman
06-18-2008, 06:40 PM
Wow, Mo wasn't shy about telling us how he feels about the Crew!

TFC07
06-18-2008, 06:40 PM
What did he say about the KKKrew?

olegunnar
06-18-2008, 06:41 PM
Mo's a funny commentator. They're doing the MLS round up and he's being pretty frank.
He says Columbus is bad, riding their luck.
KC made dumb trades.
But of course he's still in love with Steve Nichol and says the Revs are the best.

The LAG and Buddles hat trick are next...I wonder what he'll say about that

Keyman
^^^
He's very blunt, isn't he! :D

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
Wow, Mo wasn't shy about telling us how he feels about the Crew!

continue.....not all of us have GOL :)

olegunnar
06-18-2008, 06:54 PM
Okay next segment.
Said Buddle is playing like he knew he could...but for some reason he stank with us, maybe it was because he had a medical condition.
Talked about his buddy Preki...basically said Chivas sucks because of injuries, then went on to talk about how some clubs don't use allocations properly and end up having cap room that they should be using.
Asked about our road record...said first off it was the schedule...1st game we should have won and the other three loses were 2 @ dc and @ houston which is nothing to be ashamed of...then mentioned maybe it's also a mental block...hard to go from playing in front of 20K to 7K.

werewolf
06-18-2008, 06:56 PM
The LAG and Buddles hat trick are next...I wonder what he'll say about that

I hope says..." yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaasssss"

Keyman
06-18-2008, 06:57 PM
continue.....not all of us have GOL :)
He said that the Crew are not a good team at all, just very lucky.
Basically said they are shit, without saying the word shit. :cool:

ensco
06-18-2008, 06:57 PM
MLS should NOT go to Ottawa, ever

By the time MLS get to Miami/Detroit/Vancouver/Montreal/Atlanta/St Louis/NY # 2, the league will be plenty big enough

olegunnar
06-18-2008, 06:58 PM
besides him slagging the crew and the wizards some of the funniest stuff was about the Mcbride saga and Cunny.
the host asked Mo if talks had broken down with Chicago and he laughed...and said yup...that's why he's gone to the press.
The cunny stuff was funny too. While his answer was nice and polite and non-commital you could see Mo start to laugh when the host talked about Cunny missing all his chances.

Lucky Strike
06-18-2008, 07:01 PM
What do you think about MLS in Ottawa? I notice you’ve got Ottawa listed as your location.

I'd actually be against it on the basis that if it's not hockey, Ottawans aren't really interested. A CFL franchise has twice folded here and the AAA Lynx left town last summer. For the good of the league, it's best if they don't come here. Plus I wouldn't have to feel conflicted about supporting a Toronto team while in Ottawa.

Nuvinho
06-18-2008, 07:04 PM
With this Edu rumour, if he goes to Sunderland.

We get Mapp and Conde (hopefully) for McBride

Then get a DP striker.

I'd be fine with losing Edu and replacing him with Mapp.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-18-2008, 07:13 PM
MLS should NOT go to Ottawa, ever

By the time MLS get to Miami/Detroit/Vancouver/Montreal/Atlanta/St Louis/NY # 2, the league will be plenty big enough

No Detroit, Atlanta or Miami (i honestly dont see them coming or being them supported)

I'd be fine with losing Edu and replacing him with Mapp.

You are aware that Mapp plays the wing.

Why is everyone so hyped to lose Edu?
You guys realize he will be replaced with Harmse right?

TFC OZZ
06-18-2008, 07:14 PM
Am i the only person that does not want Conde??

Lucky Strike
06-18-2008, 07:16 PM
^I wouldn't want him either, but there is always the chance that Mo is telling RBNY that: hey, if I get Conde in the McBride thing, what can you give me for him?

Lucky Strike
06-18-2008, 07:17 PM
P.S. Where is the video/audio for the MLS in Ottawa stuff anyway?

Nuvinho
No Detroit or Miami (i honestly dont see them coming or being them supported)

my bad, wasn't aware of that. Is anyone on Chicago that would be a replcement for Edu?

Ossington Mental Youth
I would be amazed if we got conde and he stayed.
He wants to go to Redbull and plays Center back an area where we have plenty of players.
We'd trade him to NY for money.
Also hes only got a year left on his contract.
I would assume that unless he signs to Redbulls he wont be back to the MLS

Nuvinho
Who with NYRB give up for Conde?

Ossington Mental Youth
my bad, wasn't aware of that. Is anyone on Chicago that would be a replcement for Edu?

Marmol but I doubt we will sign him.
I have high doubts about Edu leaving as well.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-18-2008, 07:18 PM
Who with NYRB give up for Conde?

Altidore money.
Prob 200-300k maybe a draft but most likely money.

Nuvinho
06-18-2008, 07:21 PM
Altidore money.
Prob 200-300k maybe a draft but most likely money.

In terms of players? anyone who could replace Edu. Even if we don't lose Edu, in the next year or two we may lose him, also Robbo is no spring chicken, so we may have to replace him as well.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-18-2008, 07:26 PM
nah, noone, they need to stock up themselves.
Honestly i bet Edu stays til the end of the season, then we will have time to find a replacement. Also id put money on any of the players that we sign from Chicago (if we get players) will be traded off simply because we havent got the space and need money instead. Really Cunny will be leaving for a DP striker, yes we will be a striker short but we have Lombardo and Ibrahim (two reserves i realize but at least we will have a relatively solid mid and defense).

However, IF we can strike an agreement with Marmol (highly unlikely) id put money on Edu leaving.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-18-2008, 07:30 PM
This is all speculation obviously but as of right now outside of money and drafts new york has nothing to offer (they are lacking players just read comments and forums) and chicagos first team is good but who would Carver/Mo rid of to sign Barrett or Mapp?
Barrett is good but kinda inconsistant (so maybe Cunny?) and Mapp well, he'd sit on the bench most likely as i doubt he'd start ahead of Ricketts or Robert

Lucky Strike
06-18-2008, 07:34 PM
This is all speculation obviously but as of right now outside of money and drafts new york has nothing to offer (they are lacking players just read comments and forums) and chicagos first team is good but who would Carver/Mo rid of to sign Barrett or Mapp?
Barrett is good but kinda inconsistant (so maybe Cunny?) and Mapp well, he'd sit on the bench most likely as i doubt he'd start ahead of Ricketts or Robert

A bit off-topic but it's funny you should mention that, trading Cunningham for Barrett was the first thing I did on Football Manager 08. Turns out the virtual Cunningham also can't seem to find the back of the net (as I discovered in a few friendlies against USL teams.

RealG-TFC
06-18-2008, 07:52 PM
USL-1 in Ottawa would be more probable.

greatwhitenorf
06-18-2008, 08:07 PM
Not Irish enough for SundIreland? His name's perfect.

Edu-rah-loo-rah-loo-rah...

Ossington Mental Youth
06-18-2008, 08:08 PM
Nuvinho,
Lucky Strike pointed out that Soumare is a CB/DM but i doubt theyd give us him.
He'd be a good replacement tho thats for sure...

Ossington Mental Youth
06-18-2008, 08:11 PM
Nuvinho,
Lucky Strike pointed out that Soumare is a CB/DM but i doubt theyd give us him.
He'd be a good replacement tho thats for sure...

Now that i think about it, provided he was defo coming, Edu would then go.
Even then all reports say they are still far away from an agreement.

ExiledRed
06-18-2008, 08:13 PM
Not Irish enough for SundIreland? His name's perfect.

Edu-rah-loo-rah-loo-rah...

Actually 'Edu' is how an irishman declares his vows at the altar.

true.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Read this on the bigsoccer forum so i dunno how viable it is but its prob out there somewhere to confirm

Shep Messing just said Toronto has been asking for Chris Rolfe, Justin Mapp, and Logan Pause. Chicago, of course, laughed their asses off.

Gotta say thats a bit greedy but they could be testing the depths.
Pause is a DM apparently...

ExiledRed
06-18-2008, 08:39 PM
Shep Messing just said Toronto has been asking for Chris Rolfe, Justin Mapp, and Logan Pause. Chicago, of course, laughed their asses off.
Of course this was after Chicago asked for the rights to McBride in exchange for the warm fuzzy feeling gained from resettling a player in his hometown.
I imagine Mo's still grinning about that.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-18-2008, 08:41 PM
Of course this was after Chicago asked for the rights to McBride in exchange for the warm fuzzy feeling gained from resettling a player in his hometown.
I imagine Mo's still grinning about that.

HAHAHA
i can imagine

GuelphStorm2007
06-18-2008, 08:48 PM
In my opinion Edu has been a bit of a disapointment this year, If the Sunderland rumour is true then sell him . Whatever the transfer value is use that money for reinforcements.

noochie
06-18-2008, 08:53 PM
Read this on the bigsoccer forum so i dunno how viable it is but its prob out there somewhere to confirm

Gotta say thats a bit greedy but they could be testing the depths.
Pause is a DM apparently...

Consider the source also... I dont think he has any kind of inside track on that kind of a deal. Besides it is rather nuts based on the fact that we would have to clear up 3 I slots to make this work. I doubt Mo would be willing to do that given the current state of the squad. How can it be 3 players? More likely it is 1 or 2 that they don't want to part with (Rolfe is the man Mo wants, I am sure of it) and money/allocations.

Roogsy
06-18-2008, 09:06 PM
MLS in Ottawa?

Puh-lease. If that happens, the MLS has no credibility. Ottawa can't even support a CFL franchise, a true-blue Canadian institution, they are going to come out in numbers to sustain a team through the tough expansion period?

There are only 2 cities in Canada that should be looked at before looking anywhere else in Canada. Vancouver and Montreal. Come back to me when those two are already in.

BeachRed
06-18-2008, 09:22 PM
MLS in Ottawa?

Puh-lease. If that happens, the MLS has no credibility. Ottawa can't even support a CFL franchise, a true-blue Canadian institution, they are going to come out in numbers to sustain a team through the tough expansion period?

There are only 2 cities in Canada that should be looked at before looking anywhere else in Canada. Vancouver and Montreal. Come back to me when those two are already in.

The rumour is the Senators owner, right? That probably has more to do with it than the city. if they could convince him to put the team in a different city, it might work.

You never know, with a good downtown stadium it might work in Ottawa, too. It's a different sport than the CFL, that's for sure. They could draw 25,000, but they'd never generate any TV numbers.

Still, this would be another hockey owner looking into the MLS. I think we'll see more of that.

djking2
06-18-2008, 09:38 PM
GA contracts are all for four years and I"m not sure Edu has enough international starts to qualify for a Brit visa although he might. Given that I doubt he goes this summer but I'm sure the suits at the USMNT would be very happy if he did. I'd agree he hasn't always looked as impressive in this years company as he did last year but his last game here against LA he looked to be a little more comfortable playing both ways. You never know Altidore looked shit this year and it was probaably the distraction of the trade negotiation that rattled him. I hope that isn't the case with Edu.

Nuvinho
06-18-2008, 09:39 PM
on FSW just a few seconds ago.

Mo was on saying the want 1 player, and 1 player only! As getting more than 1 player, throws off his 18 man roster.

noochie
06-18-2008, 09:45 PM
on FSW just a few seconds ago.

Mo was on saying the want 1 player, and 1 player only! As getting more than 1 player, throws off his 18 man roster.

That was exactly my point. It would be a 6 player swing with 3 guys. Messing is a douche who hates TFC of course he would support this Shitcago douche... especially because we are talking about the golden boy of American soccer here.

jloome
06-19-2008, 12:17 AM
Mapp isn't just a winger, he can play all across the midfield, very skilled and quite young still, I think 23. Chicago wouldn't let him go. He's probably third on their "must keep" roster behind Blanco and Soumare.

Daveisonfire
06-19-2008, 12:37 AM
No Detroit, Atlanta or Miami (i honestly dont see them coming or being them supported)

I'm thinking he would be replaced by a quality striker (DP quality perhaps) and then we would move to a 4-4-2 diamond formation

----------------------------Sutton----------------------------
----Wynne--------Marshall--------Velez--------Brennan---
--------------------------Robinson----------------------------
Ricketts--------------------------------------------Robert---
--------------------------Guevara----------------------------
-------------Dichio--------------------DP---------------------

Yummy:D

Cashcleaner
06-19-2008, 01:02 AM
Pretty interesting stuff, but I have serious doubts.

1) Ottawa simply will never get an MLS franchise before Montreal and/or Vancouver. As it was mentioned, there's a multitude of other cities in Canada and the US that have a much better chance of properly supporting a team. It's much too small of a market.

2) Edu going to England doesn't sound like a stretch of the imagination, but I really don't think Carver and Mo are gonna let him go just yet. I have a feeling we'll see him play out the rest of the season than let his record speak at that time. He's only got one goal and no assists this year for almost 900 minutes of playing in MLS. I don't think that's enough to attract a club playing in the EPL or even towards the top of Championship. If he does improve, maybe we'll see him off in 2009, but again, not at the moment.

Keystone FC
06-19-2008, 03:57 AM

1) Ottawa simply will never get an MLS franchise before Montreal and/or Vancouver. As it was mentioned, there's a multitude of other cities in Canada and the US that have a much better chance of properly supporting a team. It's much too small of a market.

I could see them getting a USL 1 spot after Montreal or Vancouver leave for the MLS but that's it. I think the USL would jump at the chance to get them into their league seeing as how so many of their clubs are leaving for the MLS or want to join.

Marc"2L"
06-19-2008, 04:15 AM
They want to build a SSS out in Kanata. Can't see it being marketed to anybody other then kids and families.

RealG-TFC
06-19-2008, 06:38 AM
that's exactly what they shouldn't do. They should build close to downtown. Or they can buy Lansdown and renovated it.

ensco
06-19-2008, 07:35 AM

I can't speak personally about the other two cities, but I can say that Miami, with an SSS, would be a bigger success than TFC.

The level of football interest in that community is higher, by a significant margin, than other other city in North America.

The Fusion "failed" because they had terrible ownership and played in a high school stadium far from anywhere (sort of like the Panthers in the NHL, btw, they keep repeating this problem down there). Even despite all that, ask Tyrone Marshall (I have) - the Fusion fans were right up there with the Barra Brava. (Tyrone makes his home down there still, btw)

The Fusion and the Tampa Mutiny were folded in 2001, when MLS were a very different league, they were on the brink.

Miami got a promise, from the then-commissioner and AEG, to return, fwiw.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-19-2008, 07:58 AM
I can't speak personally about the other two cities, but I can say that Miami, with an SSS, would be a bigger success than TFC.

The level of football interest in that community is higher, by a significant margin, than other other city in North America.

The Fusion "failed" because they had terrible ownership and played in a high school stadium far from anywhere (sort of like the Panthers in the NHL, btw, they keep repeating this problem down there). Even despite all that, ask Tyrone Marshall (I have) - the Fusion fans were right up there with the Barra Brava. (Tyrone makes his home down there still, btw)

The Fusion and the Tampa Mutiny were folded in 2001, when MLS were a very different league, they were on the brink.

Miami got a promise, from the then-commissioner and AEG, to return, fwiw.

Ill see if i can dig it up but since then the MLS said it would turn its back on florida unless someone stepped in saying they would buy an SSS and pay the fee by a certain date (the 5th i think) and obviously noone has. If you look at other sports (and how they are supported) in florida you dont see much success anywhere whether its with hockey (no shit, they dont like hockey in floriday?!), baseball (big cuban and venezuelan contingent, still no support) or football (americas game). There are just too many other places (St Louis, Portland, Montreal, Vancouver, NY2) that are certain and solid places.

BeachRed
06-19-2008, 08:05 AM

It's tough because you need the combination of the owner and the fans. Either one on their own isn't enough.

In year one economics (back in the stone age, I admit) we learned if something isn't selling you can lower the price or raise the price. The MLS has raised the price of admission so much that they're now looking at a completely different class of owners.

I'm sure they'd like to a guy like Melnyk in the league, but does it have to be Ottawa?

Ossington Mental Youth
06-19-2008, 08:09 AM
Ottawa just isnt going to happen.
Of all places Ottawa is the last.
Ottawa doesnt need it, want it or deserve it.
Talk about a place to fail.

Pachuco
06-19-2008, 08:10 AM

2) Edu going to England doesn't sound like a stretch of the imagination, but I really don't think Carver and Mo are gonna let him go just yet. I have a feeling we'll see him play out the rest of the season than let his record speak at that time. He's only got one goal and no assists this year for almost 900 minutes of playing in MLS. I don't think that's enough to attract a club playing in the EPL or even towards the top of Championship. If he does improve, maybe we'll see him off in 2009, but again, not at the moment.

How many goals does Jimmy Brennan have? exactly. I don't understand why people are still judging Edu by the number of goals and assists he gets when that has NOTHING to do with his role. He's a defensive midfielder for crying out loud.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-19-2008, 08:16 AM
How many goals does Jimmy Brennan have? exactly. I don't understand why people are still judging Edu by the number of goals and assists he gets when that has NOTHING to do with his role. He's a defensive midfielder for crying out loud.

Yep, playing in his second professional year with WAY better players.
I think hes doing fine and people need to give the guy some time, he really is still developing and better then Harmse.

brad
06-19-2008, 08:18 AM

Agreed. Also, scouts at that level are going to looking the all around picture, not just current form.

If true, I'd be Keano has him marked as a box to box player, and I can't think of a single better mentor in the world for that than Roy Keane.

pat416
06-19-2008, 08:37 AM
In Areas Like Glochester ( area in Ottawa) Soccer is big i know a lot of people that play in in Ottawa. That being said i agree that Montreal or Vancouver would get a spot first and then maybe Ottawa would join USL 1.

Cashcleaner
06-19-2008, 03:02 PM
I could see them getting a USL 1 spot after Montreal or Vancouver leave for the MLS but that's it. I think the USL would jump at the chance to get them into their league seeing as how so many of their clubs are leaving for the MLS or want to join.

Oh for sure. USL-1 or USL-2 makes a lot of sense. The sort of scenario just fits well with the city and the USL organisation. I could easily picture it becoming a bit of a feeder team as well for Toronto and (hopefully) or Montreal.

That's good point, but would you not agree that Brennan is a better game as a straight defender than Edu does as a defensive mid?