PDA

View Full Version : De Guzman for DP? seriously im not kidding

edmundo
04-08-2010, 01:45 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_de_Guzm%C3%A1n

so i know alot of people are on him for turning his back on canada, but believe it or not i think we have a chance to potentially bring home a young canadian talent that could be a mainstay in the team for 10+ years, hes been battling through some injuries of late but this could be a blessing in disguise as according to his wikipedia and i quote

"After suffering another knee injury, Feyenoord will not be offering De Guzman another contract and he will leave the team this summer on a free transfer"

this would be fantastic considering that we wouldnt have to pay a transfer fee as well, i know many will say this is crazy, but the guy is clearly going through a transition period, and what better way to get back to top form than playing at home with your brother for a few years, and who knows, with fifas new changes to the rules maybe this might make him wanna wear the maple leaf in the next round of wcq, call me a dreamer, but im gonna dream........

TFC The Hague
04-08-2010, 03:53 AM
N-o-t-g-o-n-n-a-h-a-p-p-e-n :)

Shakes McQueen
04-08-2010, 04:37 AM
I think it's unlikely.

I'd never say it's not going to happen, because a lot of people said the same thing about Julian a year ago.

But depending on how close he is to his brother, and how much he likes being home - who knows? Maybe he'd be open to playing here.

I'm not going to hold my breath, however.

- Scott

nascarguy
04-08-2010, 05:56 AM
he is not going to come here his own brother told him to wait he is too young to wast his time

Zeke_Jones
04-08-2010, 06:25 AM
WHy not be like new york and try to sign a real superstar?

profit89
04-08-2010, 06:57 AM
sign a guy with a blown out knee ?

Fort York Redcoat
04-08-2010, 07:10 AM
No thank you. Unless we get a broken Hargreaves with him. Two traitors for the price of one? OK.

TFC Tifoso
04-08-2010, 07:17 AM
I think one underachieving De Guzman is enough for now.....

brad
04-08-2010, 07:26 AM
Why on earth would a young player on the radar of some of some of the biggest clubs in Europe commit career suicide by coming to TFC?

drewski
04-08-2010, 07:32 AM
even with a bum knee, given he's on a free transfer, somebody in Europe will take a chance on him guaranteed.

edmundo
04-08-2010, 09:11 AM
sign a guy with a blown out knee ?

galaxy signed a guy with a blow out foot lol

Shaughno
04-08-2010, 09:12 AM
I'd love to see him here, knee injury or not..... but it won't happen.

edmundo
04-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Why on earth would a young player on the radar of some of some of the biggest clubs in Europe commit career suicide by coming to TFC?

perhaps, but considering he would leave on a free transfer makes you wonder if a team would be willing to pay him more than tfc would, just saying, but like another guy said, after julian you can never say never anymore

Shaughno
04-08-2010, 09:18 AM
Julian wasn't on the up and up though... whereas Jono definitely is. Still interest from some fairly high profile European clubs...

bangersandmash
04-08-2010, 09:21 AM
Perhaps it will all come down to the role he's offered at any given club. I like Bruce Arena's perspective (referring to Donovan's time at Everton) that being a key player in a small market club does more to build your game than being a utility player at a mediocre club. Hopefully he'll go wherever he'll have the biggest chance to improve his game.

Alonso
04-08-2010, 09:30 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_de_Guzm%C3%A1n

so i know alot of people are on him for turning his back on canada, but believe it or not i think we have a chance to potentially bring home a young canadian talent that could be a mainstay in the team for 10+ years, hes been battling through some injuries of late but this could be a blessing in disguise as according to his wikipedia and i quote

"After suffering another knee injury, Feyenoord will not be offering De Guzman another contract and he will leave the team this summer on a free transfer"

this would be fantastic considering that we wouldnt have to pay a transfer fee as well, i know many will say this is crazy, but the guy is clearly going through a transition period, and what better way to get back to top form than playing at home with your brother for a few years, and who knows, with fifas new changes to the rules maybe this might make him wanna wear the maple leaf in the next round of wcq, call me a dreamer, but im gonna dream........

I like this dream! And you know what, many and most of the people on this board said that we'd never get Julian, but guess what? We did...

I've seen stranger things happen.

edmundo
04-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Julian wasn't on the up and up though... whereas Jono definitely is. Still interest from some fairly high profile European clubs...

what clubs have you been hearing tho, i knew at one point Chelsea were talking about him but i haven't heard anything on him for ages, the reason i looked him up on wiki was cuz i actually heard nothing of him for what seemed like 2 years

Krasno.pL.
04-08-2010, 09:41 AM
Villa is still interested.. as was Valencia at one point..
but according to that Wiki , Feyenord will not re up his contract.. knee issues and his confidence must be flailing. You Never Know ;)

edmundo
04-08-2010, 09:41 AM
Perhaps it will all come down to the role he's offered at any given club. I like Bruce Arena's perspective (referring to Donovan's time at Everton) that being a key player in a small market club does more to build your game than being a utility player at a mediocre club. Hopefully he'll go wherever he'll have the biggest chance to improve his game.

knowing jono hell prolly try to go to the biggest club possible, ride the bench, and fade off in obscurity, this guy turned down a guaranteed starting spot for canada to be a fringe player with holland, i dont think mediocrity is his thing

mmmikey
04-08-2010, 09:50 AM
stewart downing blew out his knee as well, and he still ended up at aston villa.. once he gets put through some physicals a club in one of the top leagues will offer him a contract. there are ALOT of teams in europe that can offer him much more than what TFC can (money and exposure wise). if someone offers him a decent contract with a release clause he could easily play himself to a big signing within a year.

Lucky Strike
04-08-2010, 10:02 AM
I like this dream! And you know what, many and most of the people on this board said that we'd never get Julian, but guess what? We did...

I've seen stranger things happen.

I'm in the same boat as you, but TFC's improbability drive makes a lot of things happen. It's an interesting idea for sure.

J .
04-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Has he capped himself with the Oranje?

TFCREDNWHITE
04-08-2010, 11:20 AM
i think not...he was on the bench, but never subbed into the game...not 100% sure though...

Dirk Diggler
04-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Surely his national team career is finished for the foreseeable future. Can't see the Dutch including guys on their squad who can't even secure a contract with their current team.

Also, yeah, I'll take a pass on him. Even though I don't believe any of the rumours stating how some big clubs are interested in him, he can probably easily find some mid-table Dutch team to go to.

Roogsy
04-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Julian was barely interested in coming here. There is NO way Jonathan wants to be here at all. He'll get an offer in Europe for sure.

Darlofletch
04-08-2010, 12:02 PM
I imagine the tfc experience isn't getting a glowing endorsement from Julian right now to help overcome the career suicide angle.

I'd like it, but can't see it happening at all.

menefreghista
04-08-2010, 12:06 PM
I actually wonder how much interest this kid really has in Europe.

Sure, I realize he has had injury problems, but if he was as good as his hype he would have been scooped up by now by a bigger club.

I'm thinking he lands a gig at a mid-table Dutch team.

As for whether he has been cap-tied to the Dutch, I'm not really sure. He did play for them at the 2008 Olympics. But FIFA changes its eligibility rules so often that I've lost track if that even means anything.

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-08-2010, 12:08 PM
If the dickface repatriates himself, I have no problems with it. Let's face it, we can't afford to be proud right now. Canada needs all the players it can get.

Doubtful it will happen, though. The big advantage Judas holds over his brother is that he now holds an EU passport, making it much easier to get a contract over there.

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-08-2010, 12:09 PM
knowing jono hell prolly try to go to the biggest club possible, ride the bench, and fade off in obscurity, this guy turned down a guaranteed starting spot for canada to be a fringe player with holland, i dont think mediocrity is his thing
Am I the only one to whom that statement seems very contradictory?

Shaughno
04-08-2010, 02:06 PM
No he wouldn't...

Edit: the fucker removed his post! LOL

FC Porto
04-08-2010, 02:20 PM
I say some fans get together, start a revelotion to sign him, and then when Mo does they can all go on this form and get powtty afterwards when Mo was forced to deal away one of their other favorite players to make room for John DeGuzman. And then they can bash Mo some more for not having any loyalty towards the player he traded away to make room for him.

LOL sorry, it must be my time of the month!

Crazy Canuck
04-08-2010, 08:32 PM
N-o-t-g-o-n-n-a-h-a-p-p-e-n :)

Don't bash the idea nobody thought Julian was coming to town.
A Canadian franchise will definitely keep him under radar.

DichioTFC
04-08-2010, 08:45 PM
Don't bash the idea nobody thought Julian was coming to town.
A Canadian franchise will definitely keep him under radar.

What? There was speculation about JDG for months and buzz for a year plus. He said while under contract to Deportivo that he would consider coming to TFC later in his career. Looks like you're the only one who didn't foresee him coming.

DichioTFC
04-08-2010, 08:46 PM
JDG II is a full 7-8 years removed from MLS. He'll make it the Premiership eventually (it seems thats where he wants to be anyways) and unless he craps out like Ricketts, there is no chance he'll be here sooner. No chance.

Gazza
04-08-2010, 11:13 PM
Jonathan is an up and comer in Europe. Could potentially be a star. Julian had no where else to go, which, sorry people, is the real reason why he plays for TFC. Mo gave him two or three times more money than any european club would've offered.

J .
04-08-2010, 11:16 PM
Jonathan is an up and comer in Europe. Could potentially be a star. Julian had no where else to go, which, sorry people, is the real reason why he plays for TFC. Mo gave him two or three times more money than any european club would've offered.

I wish he took less money and stayed in Europe, his skills will rot in MLS, he should be on a mid to lower level EPL team.

Gazza
04-08-2010, 11:21 PM
Has there been an "Owen Hargreaves and his two wonky knees to TFC?" thread yet?

K1nG
04-08-2010, 11:25 PM
A player not resigned by a mid-level Dutch team should not be put on a to good for the MLS pedestal.

tfc2007
04-08-2010, 11:51 PM
His brother will give him a heads up to make sure he doesnt come.

Although if he did come, what would theirs jerseys say on the back?
J. DeGuz and J. DeGuzman?

devioustrevor
04-09-2010, 01:01 AM
His brother will give him a heads up to make sure he doesnt come.

Although if he did come, what would theirs jerseys say on the back?
J. DeGuz and J. DeGuzman?

JDG and JDG2

Realistically though it would probably be Ju. de Guzman and Jo. de Guzman.

CretanBull
04-09-2010, 02:30 AM
James Sharman has said that Mo told him that no new DP is coming - no cap space for one.

Lucky Strike
04-09-2010, 08:53 AM
JDG and JDG2

Realistically though it would probably be Ju. de Guzman and Jo. de Guzman.

No, it would just read DeGuzman with each differing numbers. At least, that's based on when we had Johann Smith and Jared Smith, both J. Smiths.

Heathen
04-18-2010, 10:19 PM
After suffering another knee injury, Feyenoord will not be offering De Guzman another contract and he will leave the team this summer on a free transfer.

Considering Chelsea etc were supposedly after him last summer it's pretty shocking

tfc2007
04-18-2010, 10:20 PM
Everything on wikipedia is always true.

denime
04-18-2010, 10:21 PM
WOW that's sad ,but in the same time we need striker, no?

SmokedPanda
04-18-2010, 10:23 PM
2 De Guzman's make a right?

Krasno.pL.
04-18-2010, 10:26 PM
Doubt It ^

Roogsy
04-18-2010, 10:27 PM
I am going to merge this with the TFC discussion on Jonathan DeGuzman.

Heathen
04-18-2010, 10:35 PM
stewart downing blew out his knee as well, and he still ended up at aston villa

poor bastard, I would've told the doctors to leave my knee fucked up if that was what I had coming

Whoop
04-18-2010, 10:36 PM
He can score.

One of the goals he scored before getting hurt.

iMDcED6g9Js

Still don't think he'll be coming to the MLS any time soon.

TFC14
04-18-2010, 10:41 PM
It would be nice...a center attacking and center defending deguz, however this kid has a promising future...and from Julian's reaction on the field I can't see him convincing his brother over.

ballerz
04-18-2010, 11:35 PM
This is not entirely impossible! I would say there is at least a 10% chance that this can happen.

For your information, the last two years have been pretty turbulent for Judah. He was rumoured for Man City before the 2009 season but Feyenoord couldn't decide on his transfer fee. However his season was wrecked by injuries and he had a really bad season. This year, he was beginning to play well and Chelsea showed interest, but he suffered a knee injury again. For the past 2 seasons, he made a grand total of 12 appearances only. Due to his poor play, injuries, and Feyenoord's decision to go in a new direction, his club have decided to not renew his contract this year. He is eligible as a free transfer this summer.

He is not the hot prospect that the Big 4 teams from the Big 3 leagues covet anymore. Whether he is good enough for top flight European football is also in question, but you would think that a manager somewhere would love to take a chance of such a once-promising player. But you never know what might run through his mind as his connection with Julian seems really close. If MLSE opens up the cheque book, it is possible to get him as our second DP.

Believe or not, Judah is eligible for the CMNT because he has not receive a Holland senior cap. It is very unlikely for him to be in Holland's plans. At 23 years old, you are no longer young in top level football. He needs to have a major career resurrection and beat out a ton of better and younger talent.

I am waiting for the day Judah comes crying back to Canada but I will still welcome him with open arms as he should still be twice the quality of what TFC or Canada have ever produced.

Roogsy
04-18-2010, 11:38 PM
This is not entirely impossible! I would say there is at least a 10% chance that this can happen.

For your information, the last two years have been pretty turbulent for Judah. He was rumoured for Man City before the 2009 season but Feyenoord couldn't decide on his transfer fee. However his season was wrecked by injuries and he had a really bad season. This year, he was beginning to play well and Chelsea showed interest, but he suffered a knee injury again. Due to his poor play, injuries, and Feyenoord's decision to go in a new direction, his club have decided to not renew his contract this year. He is eligible as a free transfer this summer.

He is not the hot prospect that the Big 4 teams from the Big 3 leagues covet anymore. He's good enough for top flight European football but you never know what might run through his mind as his connection with Julian seems really close. If MLSE opens up the cheque book, it is possible to get him as our second DP.

Believe or not, Judah is eligible for the CMNT because he has not receive a senior cap. It is very unlikely for him to be in Holland's plans. At 23 years old, you are no longer young in top level football. He needs to have a major career resurrection and beat out a ton of better and younger talent.

I am waiting for the day Judah comes crying back to Canada but I will still welcome him with open arms as he should still be twice the quality of what TFC or Canada have ever produced.

Is Judah a nickname he has IRL or are you using the oft-used among supporters "Judas" epithet?

Viruk42
04-19-2010, 02:25 PM

For your information, the last two years have been pretty turbulent for Judah. He was rumoured for Man City before the 2009 season but Feyenoord couldn't decide on his transfer fee. However his season was wrecked by injuries and he had a really bad season. This year, he was beginning to play well and Chelsea showed interest, but he suffered a knee injury again. For the past 2 seasons, he made a grand total of 12 appearances only. Due to his poor play, injuries, and Feyenoord's decision to go in a new direction, his club have decided to not renew his contract this year. He is eligible as a free transfer this summer.

He is not the hot prospect that the Big 4 teams from the Big 3 leagues covet anymore. Whether he is good enough for top flight European football is also in question, but you would think that a manager somewhere would love to take a chance of such a once-promising player. But you never know what might run through his mind as his connection with Julian seems really close. If MLSE opens up the cheque book, it is possible to get him as our second DP.

Believe or not, Judah is eligible for the CMNT because he has not receive a Holland senior cap. It is very unlikely for him to be in Holland's plans. At 23 years old, you are no longer young in top level football. He needs to have a major career resurrection and beat out a ton of better and younger talent.

I doubt he'd come crying back to Canada, but I'd welcome him with open arms even if he said "I'm not good enough for Holland, so it's Canada or nothing".

Anyways, there's no way, in my mind, that he comes to MLS. Yes, he's had injuries, but the skill he has shown will convince many managers in Europe to take a chance on him. At the very least there will be teams at the lower end of the Dutch league who will go for him. As long as he can prove his fitness, he'll have a job over there.

Suds
04-19-2010, 04:23 PM
At 22 and the ability to rehab his knee there will be many many teams in Europe lining up to sign him on a free transfer.

He's had top flight EPL teams showing interest and trying to sign him prior to his injury. Maybe the big clubs around Europe will back off but there are plenty of other teams that will take a serious look at him. If he's so injured that no team in Europe will touch him then there is no point in TFC signing him.

While I wouldn't say it's 100 % impossible, I would say it's highly improbable.

J .
04-19-2010, 04:37 PM
He'll be playing in England likely, a Wigan, Swansea, Newcastle? A team that needs young talent with upside.

Bombonera
04-19-2010, 05:36 PM
Let's give our head's a big collective shake

Her we are beating JDG senseless for the now infamous side "hop", and people are suggesting his brother might consider playing here..?

If he does it is becasue we will pay him 2.5M+ when nobody else wants to pay him even 1M. I suspect that might bee the bortherly advice he gets at this point.

ballerz
04-19-2010, 08:35 PM

Her we are beating JDG senseless for the now infamous side "hop", and people are suggesting his brother might consider playing here..?

If he does it is becasue we will pay him 2.5M+ when nobody else wants to pay him even 1M. I suspect that might bee the bortherly advice he gets at this point.

What is wrong with paying him $2.5M or $10M? It's not your money and if you bring in a DP, the cap hit would be the same regardless. No club in the world would have given Deckahm $250M for a football salary/advertising gig.

Stryker
04-19-2010, 09:08 PM
JDG is telling his brother and probley any other pro european footballer who will listen to stay as far away from this team as possible.
You can thank Mo and Preki for that.

Super
04-19-2010, 09:09 PM
The next DP better be a striker, so no to #2 DeGuzman.

Pachuco
04-19-2010, 09:50 PM

I'm not sure if you're suggesting that he wouldn't come here because the fans are quick to criticize, but if you are, remember where he plays and what fans do in Europe when you have a bad game. JDG himself was expecting a confrontation with TFC after their loss in NE, instead he probably had people asking for autographs.

Number Ten
04-19-2010, 10:07 PM
Foreigners taking away jobs from good Canadian boys.... no way...
Seriously, he's not worth the DP status. I agree with other posters: one disappointing De Guz is enough; if we're gonna get another DP, let it be a star who can really contribute and bring people to their feet.

I'm looking forward to watching Seattle DP Freddie Ljungberg on Sunday.

Manutd #1
04-22-2010, 10:14 PM
Jono will come to Toronto he still loves the city and his fam lives here, every chance he gets he is back here. He just wont come yet he can still play in Europe he has had bad injury luck(maybe carma for turning his back on canada, i mean it started after his first major tourny, the olympics) but before his injuries he was scoring spectacular goals and apparently was close to signing with Man City and Chelsea and Athletico Madrid and was in the plans of the dutch national team.

Manutd #1
04-22-2010, 10:20 PM
No thank you. Unless we get a broken Hargreaves with him. Two traitors for the price of one? OK.

People who hate on Hargreaves do not know the story....Canada as they usually do fucked up they basically told Hargreaves he wasn't good enough and didn't cap him he left for Europe and never looked back. Good for him that he chos England it;s funny Canada must have had some great talent back then, even better then Englands eh.

Canada has done this time and time again, why not cap guys like O'brian White, Bunberry, both Holliete brothers, one of which plays for Blackburn even in bigs games, they may refuse but you have to try and lock these guys up early as they can all play for other nations and are leaning towards other options. why have we not capped David Edgar in the senior team? the guy played games in the top flight and is now on loan in the championship but can't get a call up for a friendly pure bullshit the CSA wastes talent so dont hate on Hargreaves for making the right choice look to the CSA for fucking up

ag futbol
04-22-2010, 11:01 PM
People who hate on Hargreaves do not know the story....Canada as they usually do fucked up they basically told Hargreaves he wasn't good enough and didn't cap him he left for Europe and never looked back.

First of all, pretty much everyone in the "know" on these boards has heard this story. It's been brought up ad nauseum. Now if you replace CSA with Alberta Soccer Association and instead of just saying OH, you say an OH who got cut as a younger player in a team made up of mostly older players, it starts to get a little more accurate.

Let's face it, at the end of the day OH was more interested in pretending to be an Englishman than playing for Canada. It created opportunities to do things like showcase himself in international tournaments and transfer to Man Utd. Because there would have been zero momentum behind moves like that if he was playing as a Canadian. Being English was a great commercial opportunity, being Canadian wasn't.

There are plenty of athletes out there who had to overcome some form of rejection before making it. Somebody made a wrong assessment of a player who was very early in his career, it's up to him how he wants to deal with it. BTW on the opposite side of the same system he's so willing to kick down, there were some people who helped him get his break in Germany.

In the end, he's entitled to his decision but be clear: it was always about personal opportunity and glory. Very little about how he felt or some sandbox provincial politics.