PDA

View Full Version : TFC Ticket Demand

RedsYNWA
04-07-2010, 08:59 PM
It has been a few years now.... but I have never seen such a low interest in new Tix. Call me crazy but this year we get the first official non sell out date ...it could only get worse with the sub par product on the field. I really hope we do not fade away.........

canadian_bhoy
04-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Last season was the first time that I can remember people on this MB having a hard (really hard) time getting rid of tickets. It was also the first time that you could easily find a pair, even on gameday.

It is still amazing to be at BMO on a Saturday watching the matches, but for a lot of people, the team that Mo has put together doesn't make them want to run to ticketbasterd and shell out $40 a pop.

STB
04-07-2010, 09:04 PM
It has been a few years now.... but I have never seen such a low interest in new Tix. Call me crazy but this year we get the first official non sell out date ...it could only get worse with the sub par product on the field. I really hope we do not fade away.........

I was very surprised that they still have tickets for the home opener on the web site.

Usually you cant get single tickets unless you are checking a month in advance (at least)... I guess the best way to look at it is weeding out the douchebags who just 'want to be seen'.............

billyfly
04-07-2010, 09:06 PM
^That's the thing. I always knew if the team didn't perform than the "tourists" would leave BMO. Pros and Cons to that.

Suds
04-07-2010, 09:13 PM
The demand seriously drops off for the more expensive seats for sure. Last year if you wanted to sit in Dark Gray or more expensive seats you could get tickets no problem at all.

I share one extra season seat with a friend, so basically a half season each, and we were starting to find it hard to find people who wanted to come last year. First two season I had people calling me constantly asking if I could help them get tickets. Now, I'm the phoning everyone else.

Pachuco
04-07-2010, 09:13 PM
HOLY CRAP. I just searched Ticketmaster for 8 tickets and got a hit in the $47 range. That's ridicolous. And no, it's not in the North End. I'm getting hits at alot of the ticket price ranges. Nevermind not having a defense at the opener, we may not have any fans :(

billyfly
04-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Less eye-candy in the stands for sure.

MUFC_Niagara
04-07-2010, 09:17 PM
It's not unreasonable for people to not want to go to BMO with the team in such a shambles in season 4. I certainly won't be going to every game this year.

Suds
04-07-2010, 09:21 PM
HOLY CRAP. I just searched Ticketmaster for 8 tickets and got a hit in the $47 range. That's ridicolous. And no, it's not in the North End. I'm getting hits at alot of the ticket price ranges. Nevermind not having a defense at the opener, we may not have any fans :(

That is ridiculous. I have no doubt the number crunchers at TFC are seeing this. The question is, how concerned are they and what do they plan on doing about it?

justin
04-07-2010, 09:23 PM
i'll be surprised if i make it out to any games this season. i can't afford to spend the money to watch such a poor product.

McBrace
04-07-2010, 09:25 PM
i think once the warm weather hits and the world cup is in full swing regardless on how the team is doing, we will see a higher demand... nothing like the first two years but better then last.

mastermixer
04-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Wow... just checked for tickets as well. Lots of seats available everywhere for the home opener. Paul and the rest of the brass at ML$E i hope you are making note of this. Maybe you should make an announcement to the 16000 on the waiting list that they have lots of tickets to choose from if they want them.

Suds
04-07-2010, 09:28 PM
i think once the warm weather hits and the world cup is in full swing regardless on how the team is doing, we will see a higher demand... nothing like the first two years but better then last.

I'm sure they are banking on the WC to help drive interest.

McBrace
04-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Well sure as shit isn't going to be team nobody knows..Or is playing poorly.. Sad thing is the finals are here and it will be a less publicized event then Real Madrid.

CretanBull
04-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Wow... just checked for tickets as well. Lots of seats available everywhere for the home opener. Paul and the rest of the brass at ML$E i hope you are making note of this. Maybe you should make an announcement to the 16000 on the waiting list that they have lots of tickets to choose from if they want them.

If they advertised that fact they couldn't force those people to buy Marlie tickets ;)

Pachuco
04-07-2010, 09:33 PM

I am 100% sure last year's home opener was sold out by this point.

dupont
They should charge less money for the tickets if they want them to sell. I know tons of people that want cheap seats but barely anyone that wants expensive seats.

ensco
Good.

This is something that MLSE has to be noticing. It's the only thing they care about.

This TFC off season (which doesn't seem to end even after the season starts!) has been a remarkable nonstop display of insouciance to the fans. Subtract five players and add....zero. In contrast, no matter how bad the Leafs and Raptors have been the last few years, they have both always made off season moves that showed that the management was trying and the team was spending.

They can convince themselves down at 40 Bay St all they want about how JDG was really a 2010 acquisition, and how Preki may not be great with the media but at least he has a plan, blah blah blah....but the reality is, since the Dichio charade last September, all this team has done is drive fans away. Damn near every day.

Erkan16
04-07-2010, 09:35 PM
maybe the home opener is not a sell-out because it is on a weekday?

McBrace
04-07-2010, 09:37 PM

Good Point!

CretanBull
Good.

This is something that MLSE has to be noticing. It's the only thing they care about.

This TFC off season (which doesn't seem to end even after the season starts!) has been a remarkable nonstop display of insouciance to the fans. Subtract five players and add....zero. In contrast, no matter how bad the Leafs and Raptors have been the last few years, they have both always made off season moves that showed that the management was trying and the team was spending.

They can convince themselves down at 40 Bay St all they want about how JDG was really a 2010 acquisition, and how Preki may not be great with the media but at least he has a plan, blah blah blah....but the reality is, since the Dichio charade last September, all this team has done is drive fans away. Damn near every day.

QFT :thumbsup:

mastermixer
Another notch in the negativity this season.
I feel like this organization needs to have a town hall meeting with its fans to settle all this bull**** between the suits and the supporters.

Pookie
04-07-2010, 09:39 PM
That is ridiculous. I have no doubt the number crunchers at TFC are seeing this. The question is, how concerned are they and what do they plan on doing about it?

They aren't concerned, as long as he buys the 8 tickets :)

I'm not sure what to make of it. Tickets are often held back and then released in the days leading up to a game. They could be held for corporate/player/league needs and then released.

We should also recognize that they made an effort to get more "new faces" into the stadium this year. None of the North stands were offered up in the Season ticket packages. I'm sure they would have been snapped up.

I've been searching on Chicago, May 8 and can't find a pair at all.

At the same time, the prices are getting up there and we all do that marginal utility equation in our heads. Is the value of my $100 worth more in my pocket or do I get more value in seeing TFC live?

I'd imagine that as prices go up and performance goes down, there are quite a few people that would rather keep their $100.

torontocelt
04-07-2010, 09:44 PM
The ticket prices in some areas are outrageous. I hope demand is dropping so that areas such as the dark gray fall to prices which is in line with the quality of the product on the pitch. Hopefully if tickets sales continue to falter it will eliminate the insane marlies tickets and FO will be forced to reexamine their exploitative tactics. I've said it before and I will say it again, the most expensive ticket in the stadium should be no more than $60. The team is woeful, the standard of football is woeful and the league itself is woeful. I dont want to see the team fail by any means but they are over charging big time for a what is at times a piss poor product.

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-07-2010, 09:47 PM
I hate threads like this, I start getting worried about the future of the team. I hope the outstanding tickets get picked up. Week day games are alway less attended anyways.

Red CB Toronto
04-07-2010, 09:53 PM
To say the the waiting list is at 14,000 or whatever the number may be is somewhat inaccurate, the Gold list, which means you bought something somewhere along the line has about 1,500 people on it.

The Red list means you just signed up for it online.

Yes interest in tickets has dropped , that can not be denied.

I think the casuals come and go, also the thing is I think TFC is looked at by most as a cheap time out so as ticket prices go up or in the case with the new north end being set rather high compared to the south.

The TFC demographic is completely different to the typical MLSE crowd at the Leafs and Raptors and the Crowds dropping is reflective of that.

torontocelt
I hate threads like this, I start getting worried about the future of the team. I hope the outstanding tickets get picked up. Week day games are alway less attended anyways.

I'm pretty sure I read something which said that the MLSE only banked on having 14,000 supporters initially despite the stadium being built bigger than that. Realistically what number would the support have to drop to before they called it a day? I wouldn't worry about the club going out of business, a drop in attendance by a quarter would be a good thing for real fans as they will get a better deal. The way things are going the club will quite happily increase season ticket prices every year despite the team sucking ass, I dont thing anyone wants that?

rocker
Subtract five players and add....zero.

you must mean not adding players of the same quality, right? Cuz they have added players.

Pookie
04-07-2010, 09:54 PM
^ you have to put it in perspective. You can get Leaf tickets about 2-3 days before the next game from the box office. That isn't recent either. You could do that when they were winning. Everyone thought it was sold out but these "ticket drops" happen all the time.

TFC had a 95% renewal rate on season tickets. The secondary scalping market is alive. I really don't think they are worried.

We should be though. An indirect impact of rising ticket prices and unchecked secondary markets mean that greed could price out the average fan.

ilikemusic
04-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Oh wow. Ive got two tickets on ticketmaster right now in 114.

Would have been unheard of two years ago.

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-07-2010, 09:56 PM
I think there's probably some people out there who just assume the games are sold out.

jvanpeebles
04-07-2010, 09:58 PM
I hope this sends a message. Doesn't matter what day of the week it was this was a gauranteed sell out in past seasons. Everygame could be sell outs if they allowed people to buy seasons tickets now. I would buy them in crap spots for the opportunity to move next year. Hell I only bought one partial package this year because I was sick of having to buy tickets for a hockey team that is worse than most double A teams.

Beach_Red
04-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Good.

Sure, they must be noticing, but it can't be taking them by surprise. When they decided not to spend any money until the CBA was settled they knew what the fallout would be.

Suds
04-07-2010, 09:59 PM

Would have been unheard of two years ago.

Yeah, I just saw that. Sec 114A Row 1 ... are those the seats just behind the railing?

Gixmo
04-07-2010, 10:01 PM
So what you are saying is next year, I won't have to buy a Marlies pack and will finally be a SSH.. Very well, I am excited... Bring it on!

CretanBull
04-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Another notch in the negativity this season.
I feel like this organization needs to have a town hall meeting with its fans to settle all this bull**** between the suits and the supporters.

The thing is that just about nothing is new. No one has learned something about MLSE from their TFC experience that they didn't know before, it's just that its reached a tipping point. Most of us aren't just TFC fans, we're also Leaf and Raptors fans too and at the moment nothing is going right.

The let down comes from the early feelings that things might be different with TFC. It was a relatively small investment for MLSE, they weren't really sure what to expect but they're expectations were blown away and they were gratefull to the fans. And in a lot of ways they still are. I love the fact that Paul B. comes here - often to face the music! Our group has a connection to the team's front office that doesn't exist with fans of the Leafs, Raptors (or Jays or Argos for that matter). They've worked with us in a lot of ways, often behind the scenes. Sometimes they don't get enough credit for that. It's that relationship that gives me hope and stops me from becoming just a casual fan or walking away altogether.

What I think they need to learn is that what makes TFC special is that it isn't the Leafs or Raptors, but now that the team is such a success they want nothing more to make it more and more like the Leafs and Raptors. Their small investment turned out to be a gold mine, and their natural instinct is to rape that mine - get all the goal out as quickly as possible, damn the consequences.

I almost don't blame them for that. They're in business to make money, not to make us happy or entertain us. The challenge to them is to continue to make their money, but to do a better job of not alienating the most dedicated of fans. When we're fed up it shows, people can feel it. When the atmosphere isn't there, going to a TFC game is a lot less of an event - and that will effect their bottom line a lot sooner than they realize. If it's ever lost, it will take a lot of work to get it back...there's just too many people out there waiting for soccer to fail. The feeling of being let down coupled with the pressure to not go back (from the anti-soccer sports media) will be a tough for fans to get over.

The problems at TFC are magnified 10 fold here because we're all super dedicated. If we take a step back, take a breath and gain some objectivity things aren't as bleak as they might seem.

A note to the FO: Honesty, transparency and communication will go a long, long way in getting rid of all the negativity surrounding the team right now. Be honest with us, trust us to understand things - don't think that you need to lie or cover things up. If pushing Dichio into retirement was the most logical/effective way of getting the cap space to sign JDG, just tell us that - we'll understand, its a cap based league and tough decisions have to be made. Don't tell me that he suddenly can't fly.

Auzzy
04-07-2010, 10:13 PM
For sure, the demand is softening a bit. It's not the "shiny new exciting thing" in Toronto anymore, where quality of play didn't really matter. Finalizing the CBA last minute, and the amount of roster turnover, surely didn't help either. Both probably led some people to take a "wait and see" approach -- will there be a season, and who am I actually cheering for?

However, a major factor wasn't mentioned yet: all the extra seats (1500?) in the new north stand. If there are about 16,000 season ticket holders, plus partial pack holders (are they counted separately?) then up to now, there have only a few thousand single-game tickets available. Adding 1500 to that makes a big difference, and I think that's what we're seeing now in terms of single tickets available. BTW, at times I couldn't see any tickets for the home opener. So I do believe these are now the leftovers that have gone back (that get held for corporate clients, away supporters, etc etc).

We shall see how it turns out. Results on the pitch & a stable squad would help. Better weather, WC fever, and excitement about the new grass may help. Ongoing turmoil & crappy play would go the other way.

Whoop
04-07-2010, 10:15 PM
A note to the FO: Honesty, transparency and communication will go a long, long way in getting rid of all the negativity surrounding the team right now. Be honest with us, trust us to understand things - don't think that you need to lie or cover things up. If pushing Dichio into retirement was the most logical/effective way of getting the cap space to sign JDG, just tell us that - we'll understand, its a cap based league and tough decisions have to be made. Don't tell me that he suddenly can't fly.

Great post... but this part is key.

We're not gullible... for the most part.

Macksam
04-07-2010, 10:22 PM
I'm pretty sure I read something which said that the MLSE only banked on having 14,000 supporters initially despite the stadium being built bigger than that. Realistically what number would the support have to drop to before they called it a day? I wouldn't worry about the club going out of business, a drop in attendance by a quarter would be a good thing for real fans as they will get a better deal. The way things are going the club will quite happily increase season ticket prices every year despite the team sucking ass, I dont thing anyone wants that?
Somebody else would buy the team before that happens.

I almost don't blame them for that. They're in business to make money, not to make us happy or entertain us. The challenge to them is to continue to make their money, but to do a better job of not alienating the most dedicated of fans. .
Any sort of business involves an exchange between the manufacturer (MLSE) and the consumer (fans). We are paying for the game day experience and the rest of the intangibles that go along with a sport product so they are in the business to entertain us. If they weren't, it would be marketing fail on their part.

Suds
04-07-2010, 10:25 PM

However, a major factor wasn't mentioned yet: all the extra seats (1500?) in the new north stand. If there are about 16,000 season ticket holders, plus partial pack holders (are they counted separately?) then up to now, there have only a few thousand single-game tickets available. Adding 1500 to that makes a big difference, and I think that's what we're seeing now in terms of single tickets available. BTW, at times I couldn't see any tickets for the home opener. So I do believe these are now the leftovers that have gone back (that get held for corporate clients, away supporters, etc etc)....

The eye-opening issue is not that North End seats are available. It's that you can go on ticketmolester and pick up South End seats; which would have been unheard of in past years.

If fact, you can pretty much grab seats anywhere you want.

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-07-2010, 10:25 PM
I'm not worried about the team going out of business, I worry about the team becoming Columbus North. Big teams sell out, that's what I want for TFC.

Whoop
04-07-2010, 10:26 PM
see Rock, Toronto

billyfly
04-07-2010, 10:28 PM
It was harder last year to find people to go to games where I had an extra seat in 112.

FluSH
04-07-2010, 10:29 PM
It was harder last year to find people to go to games where I had an extra seat in 112.

whaaat?

Call me... I have a big family :D

Whoop
04-07-2010, 10:31 PM
Likewise billy. I can probably get you some Leafs tickets. LOL

billyfly
04-07-2010, 10:31 PM
I sit with the Boca guys remember? You sure you want to sit beside these people? :D

CretanBull
04-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Somebody else would buy the team before that happens.

Any sort of business involves an exchange between the manufacturer (MLSE) and the consumer (fans). We are paying for the game day experience and the rest of the intangibles that go along with a sport product so they are in the business to entertain us. If they weren't, it would be marketing fail on their part.

They're in business to make money. Sports/entertainment is how they make their money not why they make their money. This isn't a labour of love, they're in it for profit (nothing wrong with that BTW). If the money wasn't there, they'd be gone. If they were in busines to entertain us, they'd be there no matter what - maybe even as a non-profit community service. Their purpose is to make money, they do that through sports/entertainment. If their purpose was to entertain us, they'd find a way to do that irregardless of profit.

billyfly
04-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Likewise billy. I can probably get you some Leafs tickets. LOL

I don't need you. Bfin is taking me.:prrr:

EDIT: I want my book. When can I pick it up/get it?

Beach_Red
04-07-2010, 10:33 PM
I almost don't blame them for that. They're in business to make money, not to make us happy or entertain us.

No, sorry, that's wrong. They're in the entertainment business, that's what sports is.

Banks are in the money business, they're product is money. MLSE is in the entertainment business, they're product is entertainmet.

People aren't buying as many tickets because the product isn't entertaining enough. They could run the team like a CIA operation and if they won championships no one would care. It's not about honesty or openness or better PR, or better press conferences or even signing bigger name players or any of that - it's about winning. Just winning. Do that and you sell out every game. Every sport is like that. The New Jersey Devils played the most boring, annoying, hard to watch hockey and when they were winning they sold out. They play the same style and lose and they don't sell out.

nfitz
04-07-2010, 10:42 PM

Would have been unheard of two years ago.They must have just released those then, because there were no sign of those a couple of weeks ago. I managed to pick up similiar tickets last season in the week or two before a game.

As for the unsold seats in general ... it's suprising given all the advertising I've seen about ticket sales ... oh wait ...

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of potential ticket buyers aren't aware that there are tickets available. Though a Thursday night in April might not be the best indicator.

Whoop
04-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Speaking of which is the TicketExchange not working this year?

Auzzy
04-07-2010, 10:44 PM
The eye-opening issue is not that North End seats are available. It's that you can go on ticketmolester and pick up South End seats; which would have been unheard of in past years.

If fact, you can pretty much grab seats anywhere you want.

True, that is surprising. I just checked out the tickets. I agree that demand is softening. Weekday/evening game in April might not help either.

However, the north end seats have a ripple effect throughout the stadium. During the single-ticket pre-sale date for partial pack holders & red-listers last week, I could easily get extra tickets at relatively low cost, for all games that I wanted throughout the season. The North End seats helped a great deal with that. Therefore, I (and others who bought during the pre-sale dates) no longer have to wait for these single tickets that are released in the weeks before the game.

I just think that softening demand, AND extra seats, both play a role throughout the stadium.

Perhaps scalpers are also snapping up fewer seats, if they're not sure that they can get rid of them at a decent price. That is also affected by both the softening demand, and the extra single-game seats available through legal means.

CretanBull
04-07-2010, 10:45 PM
No, sorry, that's wrong. They're in the entertainment business, that's what sports is.

Banks are in the money business, they're product is money. MLSE is in the entertainment business, they're product is entertainmet.

What I'm getting at is that sports/entertainment is a means (a product) to an end (money) - not the means itself.

People aren't buying as many tickets because the product isn't entertaining enough. They could run the team like a CIA operation and if they won championships no one would care. It's not about honesty or openness or better PR, or better press conferences or even signing bigger name players or any of that - it's about winning. Just winning. Do that and you sell out every game. Every sport is like that. The New Jersey Devils played the most boring, annoying, hard to watch hockey and when they were winning they sold out. They play the same style and lose and they don't sell out.

I suspect that you're right. Winning does allow people to focus their attention elsewhere, but you can't always win so if those underlying issues aren't dealt with then they'll keep cropping up. Also - and this is pure speculation on my part - but I'm willing to bet that there's a relationship between a lack of professionalism by the FO/Manager and on the pitch success. At the very least, honesty, openess, communication etc. will build stronger and more loyal ties to the fan base and that plays a big role in establishing a 'home field advantage'.

I doubt Raptor's fans droning out "D-fence" does much, but our constant heckling of the opposition's goal keeper, our distracting a player taking a corner, our boos and cheers probably have some level of impact. We know of atleast a few time when we got under the skin of some visiting players to the point where they reacted.

Auzzy
04-07-2010, 10:46 PM

It was working in my account today.

Whoop
04-07-2010, 10:48 PM
Never mind it looks like it's up.

AL-MO
04-07-2010, 10:49 PM

Good luck with getting that from anyone in the 'football' side of things.

CretanBull
04-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Good luck with getting that from anyone in the 'football' side of things.

I know, I'm just trying to be optimisitc...and hopefully someone who can make a difference will read it or get the message. A tiny bit of faith on their part would be rewarded 10 times over. It's in their own best interest, we just have to convince them of that!

Beach_Red
04-07-2010, 10:53 PM
I suspect that you're right. Winning does allow people to focus their attention elsewhere, but you can't always win so if those underlying issues aren't dealt with then they'll keep cropping up. Also - and this is pure speculation on my part - but I'm willing to bet that there's a relationship between a lack of professionalism by the FO/Manager and on the pitch success. At the very least, honesty, openess, communication etc. will build stronger and more loyal ties to the fan base and that plays a big role in establishing a 'home field advantage'.

Why stop it there, at the FO/Manager? If you're right (and I think you are, though I'd call it something other than a 'lack of professionalism') why would it stop in the middle and not go on higher in the organization? Remember, this orgaization is owned by a union that has crushed unions in its other holdings who have dared to go on legal strikes.

Whoop
04-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Wow there was a pair in 112 for Montreal on the TicketExchange....

CretanBull
04-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Why stop it there, at the FO/Manager? If you're right (and I think you are, though I'd call it something other than a 'lack of professionalism') why would it stop in the middle and not go on higher in the organization? Remember, this orgaization is owned by a union that has crushed unions in its other holdings who have dared to go on legal strikes.

I don't disagree, its just that I think we can help change the way the FO/managers interacts with us whereas I have no hope that we can force MLSE to sell the team ;)

menefreghista
04-07-2010, 11:50 PM
The value for TFC has always been in the cheaper seats. How MLSE ever managed to get people to pay some of those higher prices still shocks me.

On the point of tickets being released closer to the date of the game I want to make one point. While this is true, I've been sporadically following ticket availability for TFC on Ticketmaster since the public onsale date. And since that day every time I've checked I've been able to find tickets to most games. In the other seasons that would have been unheard of, except for the few that get released closer to the date. Even the home opener had tickets available hours and days after the sale started. That would have never happened in the first 3 seasons.

Call me crazy but this year we get the first official non sell out date ....

TFC has actually already had a handful of non-sellout games.

While that's plausible, I think the 'premium' pricing doesn't help either.

But than again, the Blue Jays home opener for next Monday is close to a sell out. Sport fans generally don't have a problem coming out to games on weekdays. You would figure a home opener would sell itself.

Number Nine
04-07-2010, 11:58 PM
I think there's probably some people out there who just assume the games are sold out.

Like me! I didn't know! I bought tickets off a scalper, albeit at only a small mark-up.

GBV
04-08-2010, 05:42 AM
I hope this sends a message. Doesn't matter what day of the week it was this was a gauranteed sell out in past seasons. Everygame could be sell outs if they allowed people to buy seasons tickets now. I would buy them in crap spots for the opportunity to move next year. Hell I only bought one partial package this year because I was sick of having to buy tickets for a hockey team that is worse than most double A teams.

the yearly price increases are rubbing a lot of people wrong, too.

ensco
04-08-2010, 06:52 AM
Here's what I think is going on in the FO:

There was so much energy/effort put into the grass project, which took years and had all these elements: convincing the suits internally at MLSE to spend the dough, the complicated deal with the City, then the north end expansion/Argo schmozzle.

Plus they landed DeRo and JDG last year.

So they figured, like business people do, we had a whirlwind of positive activity, let's sit back and reap the benefits of all this....plus my guess is there is nobody who they trust in the exec suite on soccer matters so, despite whatever misgivings they may increasingly have, they've given the command of on field matters to Mo and it's "best practices" for the suits not to interfere.

Forget the "Mo must go" stuff...he'll go if the team is bad this year. We knew that last fall. (If anything, there should be a lot more "Anselmi must go" around here.)

Here's what the suits have missed. The real problem right now is, Mo has, it seems to me, decided he doesn't give a shit about the fans. He's been through too much in his life to care about them. The simplest, easiest gestures escape him. He can't be bothered to even try to explain what's up. Add Preki's natural disposition, and it's toxic to the marketing of the team.

GBV
04-08-2010, 06:57 AM
Face it, no one should be charging "premium prices" in a league like MLS where it's a group of relative nobodies.
In a stretch, I could see it for "The Beckham Game" but, come on, half the people who go to the games couldn't even name a couple players on the opposition.
It's not a "star" league, so the premium prices crap is a slap in the face.

Fort York Redcoat
04-08-2010, 06:59 AM
I think we should date this thread more to specify which year we were worried about the demand for tix dropping(in 2010). While I agree it's happening I think threads about it aren't very productive. All the reasons for poorer attendance are in other threads.

rocker
04-08-2010, 07:03 AM
they will get 20000 a game no problem. But they just added 1700 seats to the stadium, so that 20000 is now spread out over 21700 seats. We had always been teased about the 15000 on the waiting list, but that was never a tangible thing. It's easy to put your name on a list but when it comes to actually paying, that's a different story.

scots17
04-08-2010, 07:12 AM
i agree...i finally got season tix this year (i'm in London, ON) and i can't make it to all of the games, but i can't even get rid of my home opener tix and i'm in 107, 7th row which are fantastic viewing seats...i don't think we will "fade" away as someone else put it, but slowly the demand will go down until the product on the field and our position in the table changes

Davenport
04-08-2010, 07:19 AM
Lots of my friends have seasons and they can't give them away.
People don't want them.
Johnston you tosser.

Pookie
04-08-2010, 07:22 AM

It's up and running as of yesterday.

Beach_Red
04-08-2010, 07:29 AM
I don't disagree, its just that I think we can help change the way the FO/managers interacts with us whereas I have no hope that we can force MLSE to sell the team ;)

No, all we're doing is giving them an easy out. They don't even need to make excuses for all their lousy teams, we make them for them. We're doing the opposite of forcing them to change the way they operate, we're playing into their methods perfectly.

We don't even talk abut winning anymore, we talk about the way the FO "interacts" with the fans, we want more "honesty" and we want to be treated better, and we want bigger ceremonies for guys who retire and better press conferences or something.

So, we'll likely get almost everything we're demanding. Too bad we care more about this stuff than we do about winning.

brad
04-08-2010, 07:46 AM
they will get 20000 a game no problem. But they just added 1700 seats to the stadium, so that 20000 is now spread out over 21700 seats.

Dead on. 1700 additional seats is most likely the reason that tickets are available. Supply and demand has has two sides. They've increases the supply, it doesn't mean the demand has decreased.

We had always been teased about the 15000 on the waiting list, but that was never a tangible thing. It's easy to put your name on a list but when it comes to actually paying, that's a different story.The other thing that they've never released, which I've been very curious about - what percentage of those people on the waiting list are on there to get into the supporters section, or one of the cheap sections? My guess is a large part of that.

Here is an interesting quote from an article I read the other day about Manchester United's wait list:

The club is very keen to stress the season ticket waiting list, the existence of which was rather undermined by the experience of one supporter who spoke at BBC Radio 5Live’s United “Fan’s Forum” on 27 March 2010. Having received an email from the club asking if she wanted to join the list, she duly did so as an experiment (despite already having a season ticket) and was amazed to receive another email from the club the very next day saying she had been very lucky and was now at the top of the list!

Scarcity (either real or implied) drives up demand. That's one of the reasons people have swallowed the price increases. Fear that if you let your ticket go, you'll never get back.

TheRenter
04-08-2010, 08:18 AM
just look on ebay and it will help tell the tale...9 f'n pgs. of tickets..unheard of, and very sad indeed

some douche is even advertising beckham for the la game, and look where the seats are:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/2-Tickets-Toronto-FC-v-LA-GALAXY-at-BMO_W0QQitemZ290401085403QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Tic kets_all_in_one?hash=item439d40e7db

RedsYNWA
04-08-2010, 08:29 AM
section 112 nice^^^

TFC Cityboy
04-08-2010, 08:34 AM
just sent the scalper a nasty message vie ebay saying how misleading that is.
twat.

Mark in Ottawa
04-08-2010, 08:41 AM
the 16000 on the waiting list
This is a bunch of marketing malarkey.

mastermixer
04-08-2010, 08:48 AM
they will get 20000 a game no problem. But they just added 1700 seats to the stadium, so that 20000 is now spread out over 21700 seats. We had always been teased about the 15000 on the waiting list, but that was never a tangible thing. It's easy to put your name on a list but when it comes to actually paying, that's a different story.

But I just checked and up to 5 seats are available together in the south end. Are you saying that the supporters in the south end gave up their seats to move to the north end?

drexel10
04-08-2010, 08:49 AM
A few reasons to this could be that ticket prices are more expensive, scalpers aren't getting the same demand and people don't want to watch the Marlies. I have season tix through a friend for 3 years now and the last 2 years they asked me to buy a package for the Marlies (red waiting list)??? Not sure about everyone out there, but I find that to be incredibly greedy and a big turn off to the club.

S_D
04-08-2010, 08:52 AM
they will get 20000 a game no problem. But they just added 1700 seats to the stadium, so that 20000 is now spread out over 21700 seats. We had always been teased about the 15000 on the waiting list, but that was never a tangible thing. It's easy to put your name on a list but when it comes to actually paying for marlies tickets as well, that's a different story.

FYP :D

I am very low on the red waiting list, not sure where, but low. I got the call again this year telling me that I could get a partial pack as long as I bought the marlies tickets as well. No thanks, no need to watch a team full of players that can't make the roster on a last place team in the NHL. Told them to call me back when they have seats for sale with no hook.

And I agree about the prices of tickets in the upper deck etc. Pretty expensive for what you get.

cincy
04-08-2010, 08:56 AM
Ticketmaster even scalping....

2 tickets available in 114 for a total of $95

last year these seats were selling for $23 each... now its $40 plus a ton of fees

drexel10
Also, is it just me or did the club stop advertising?? The first year there were billboards, commercials and a lot of advertising, now there is nothing unless it is on GolTV???

TFC Cityboy
if the seats on TM are in sections appended with an A - eg 115A or are 200 series - eg 215, there are the accessible seats that the club releases back to TM 2 weeks before each home game.

If they are not these seats, it's a worrying sign.

mmmikey
04-08-2010, 08:59 AM
although im not happy about what this means for the atmosphere/fanbase, at the same time i'm kinda happy this is happening. ive been on the red list and every year there is only all season packs available by the time my window comes up. since i am NOT a hockey fan at all, there was no way i could justify that and it basically meant i would never have a chance to move up to the gold list and maybe get seasons one year. now, the tide has finally turned!! :) :(

mastermixer
04-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Also, is it just me or did the club stop advertising?? The first year there were billboards, commercials and a lot of advertising, now there is nothing unless it is on GolTV???

Yeah great strategy. Market to the people who are big enough fans to actually subscribe to GolTV and not to any potential fans. :facepalm:

Macksam
04-08-2010, 09:25 AM
They're in business to make money. Sports/entertainment is how they make their money not why they make their money. This isn't a labour of love, they're in it for profit (nothing wrong with that BTW). If the money wasn't there, they'd be gone. If they were in busines to entertain us, they'd be there no matter what - maybe even as a non-profit community service. Their purpose is to make money, they do that through sports/entertainment. If their purpose was to entertain us, they'd find a way to do that irregardless of profit.
They are in the busines to entertain us. They make money through that.

What he said.

Belfast_Boy
04-08-2010, 09:26 AM
FYP :D

I am very low on the red waiting list, not sure where, but low. I got the call again this year telling me that I could get a partial pack as long as I bought the marlies tickets as well. No thanks, no need to watch a team full of players that can't make the roster on a last place team in the NHL. Told them to call me back when they have seats for sale with no hook.

And I agree about the prices of tickets in the upper deck etc. Pretty expensive for what you get.

same here. was offered extortion packs twice this year and I'm not taking the bait.
last year I bought a ticket from a couple that had 4 seats. I ended up sitting beside them. they had season seats for a few years. during the game I had to tell them who 14 was and explain the offside rule. and they left part way through the second half.
the product on the field plus the novelty wearing off is going to equal a thinning of the herd.

Wighty
04-08-2010, 09:29 AM
if the seats on TM are in sections appended with an A - eg 115A or are 200 series - eg 215, there are the accessible seats that the club releases back to TM 2 weeks before each home game.

If they are not these seats, it's a worrying sign.

They are the accessible seats, which have always been offered a week or two before the games. It's how I got my tickets for the past two seasons and will be for this season too. The prices for these 'premium' games are bullshit though.

billyfly
04-08-2010, 09:31 AM
How many people hold on to their seasons just in case somehow, someway the team ever gets good? Kinda like Leafs seasons. People hold on b/c of that faint hope for PAYDAY.

Goalie20
04-08-2010, 09:36 AM
There are plenty of seats at all price ranges on TM. There are better seats today than ones I purchased on Monday in the north section.

leafsman
04-08-2010, 10:14 AM
picked up some 114a seats. how are those?

TFC Cityboy
04-08-2010, 10:25 AM
they are excellent seats - right against the railing.

Toronto Ruffrider
04-08-2010, 10:33 AM

Those are accessible seats in the front of section 114, no?

menefreghista
04-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Ticketmaster even scalping....

2 tickets available in 114 for a total of $95

last year these seats were selling for $23 each... now its $40 plus a ton of fees

LOL. That's actually regular price. The 'face value' TFC puts on a premium game plus the $7.50 ticketbastard anal rapage charge.

nfitz
04-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Hmm ... yeah, it's offering me Section 114A, row 1, seat 114 for the Phillie game.

and Section 115A, row 1, Seats 118 to 119.

I'm not even sure what these are - doesn't look like the 214 and 215 seats at the top. There is no row 1 in 115, or 114 to the east. Temporary seating? Whatever they are, they are a steal at yellow prices.

edit ... oh accessible seating .. Still a steal!

TheKing7
04-08-2010, 04:40 PM
i have 2 in section 212A... whats that all about?

Auzzy
04-08-2010, 04:46 PM
^ You need to come in a wheel chair to sit in those seats with the "A" at the end, or someone will make sure you leave in a wheelchair.

LOL just kidding. Those are accessible seats, that are held back all around the stadium, first dibs for people that actually need them. Then, some time before the game (1 - 2 weeks), they release most of the remainder for general purchase (with some priority for Account Manager users I guess).

TheKing7
04-08-2010, 04:49 PM
haha so they are still valid seats? they are above 112 which is why i want them - you think i should purchase them?

Auzzy
04-08-2010, 04:57 PM
I've never been there myself, but the TFC ticket rep offered them to me once when there was a problem with other seats.

However, others have said that they are right up against the railing at the top & very nice. (Unless you like to be right next to the pitch of course.)

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-08-2010, 05:07 PM
The team...has gotten worst....its been 4 years we are as bad as we have ever been..... TFC supporters wont put up with the shit the put out on the field....THIS IS NOT THE TML....They are in for a big SHOCK if this team is a disaster this year!!! and it looks like its heading that way!

I'll be livid if MLSE raise the SS prices next season!

TheKing7
04-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Just booked my seats for the home opener - just above 112.

There seems to be alot of tickets which have been re released, hopefully the ground will be full on a weeknight for the home opener.

morgank1986
04-08-2010, 05:25 PM
^^ You're right beside me. I've got 6 across the top of 112.