PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Wednesday,Apr.07

denime
04-07-2010, 05:29 AM
Mornin'

Toronto FC veteran to join team management (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/791250--toronto-fc-veteran-to-join-team-management)

TFC's Brennan to become assistant GM (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/04/06/sp-mls-torontofc-brennan.html)

Reds v. Revs Match Pulled Back (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/04/toronto-fc-media-advisory%22%20]Toronto%20FC%20Media%20Advisory[/url]%3Cbr%20/%3E%0A%3Cbr%20/%3E%0A%3Cbr%20/%3E%0A[url=%22http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/04/reds-v-revs-match-pulled-back)

Toronto FC adds depth in goal (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/04/06/sp-kocic-torontofc.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Eastend
04-07-2010, 06:26 AM
Sad to hear Brennan is done...something's definitely wrong there...why work your ass off all preseason only to move to the front office after only 1 regular season game? VERY strange indeed.

Good to hear the May 22 game was moved up....BMO, then Joes....hopefully 2 REDS victories that day.

The Kocic signing, along with Conway being added, definitely makes you think Frei's days are numbered.

I'll put my faith in Preki and what he's building but at this point it is a short fuse....

Waggy
04-07-2010, 06:52 AM
On the plus side, no matter how bad it gets for TFC we can always look at todays sunshine girl and remember; it could always be worse :picard:

Moving on to less ugly things, we are probably announcing new players today! And one may actually be a successful striker! :flare:

Eastend
04-07-2010, 06:53 AM
On the plus side, no matter how bad it gets for TFC we can always look at todays sunshine girl and remember; it could always be worse :picard:

Moving on to less ugly things, we are probably announcing new players today! And one may actually be a successful striker! :flare:

You think? I say it's just to announce the Jimmy thing but here's hoping you're right.

TFC_Junky
04-07-2010, 07:05 AM
Rumoured trialists in camp include: Iwan Redan, Kerry Baptiste and Adrian Cann according to Toronto FC News on Twitter... Hopefully this isn't just a farwell to Brennan (which he certainly deserves!).

Waggy
04-07-2010, 07:06 AM
You think? I say it's just to announce the Jimmy thing but here's hoping you're right.

I'm praying haha. The whole photo op thing seems strange to me if it's just announcing Jimmies retirement

denime
04-07-2010, 07:12 AM
Rumoured trialists in camp include: Iwan Redan, Kerry Baptiste and Adrian Cann according to Toronto FC News on Twitter... Hopefully this isn't just a farwell to Brennan (which he certainly deserves!).

More likely Usanov,Hscanovics and Cann will be announced as new players,no striker for now ;)

TFC_Junky
04-07-2010, 07:14 AM
Denime, i've heard Usanov and Hscanovics (LB and RB respectfully) are in camp as well but the big names being tossed around seem to be Cann and Baptiste. Any of the 5 mentioned would certainly help our depleted roster at this point...

TFC_Junky
04-07-2010, 07:16 AM
at any rate, let's hope the 1:30 presser will shed new light on our situation.

denime
04-07-2010, 07:23 AM
Denime, i've heard Usanov and Hscanovics (LB and RB respectfully) are in camp as well but the big names being tossed around seem to be Cann and Baptiste. Any of the 5 mentioned would certainly help our depleted roster at this point...

If it's true that Dickov is coming in June/July,I don't think they will sign Baptiste.
I know it doesn't make any sense,but lately anything closely related to TFC doesn't make any sense anyway.

All we can do is speculate until 1:30PM .

Waggy
04-07-2010, 07:28 AM
More likely Usanov,Hscanovics and Cann will be announced as new players,no striker for now ;)

Better than nothing, thats for sure. Is it 1:30 yet?

TFC_Junky
04-07-2010, 07:32 AM
Oh God, why would we fore go Baptiste and sign Dickov?! What a bloody disgrace that would be!

lintberg
04-07-2010, 07:40 AM
Grass is looking good and they are installing the seats in the north end.
As tweeted by:
Paulbeirne (http://twitter.com/Paulbeirne)

Looking all right! http://yfrog.com/0hlkbrj (http://yfrog.com/0hlkbrj)

sidvan
04-07-2010, 07:48 AM
Sweeping changes at Toronto FC continued Tuesday as Jim Brennan surprisingly decided to retire to join the team’s front office.
Contrary to reports, the new role will not be as assistant general manager. A source privy to the move confirms Brennan will indeed be moving upstairs, but his role will be revealed Wednesday.

http://eedition.toronto.24hrs.ca/epaper/viewer.aspx

Broadview
04-07-2010, 07:52 AM
Maybe Jimmy's new job will be "Guy Who Announces New Signings".

flatpicker
04-07-2010, 07:56 AM
Maybe Brennan is going to be Assistant to Danny Dichio?
What does Danny Dichio do again?

maninb
04-07-2010, 07:57 AM
Oh God, why would we fore go Baptiste and sign Dickov?! What a bloody disgrace that would be!

EXACTLY!!! How the f*ck can Mo sign a washed up 38 YEAR OLD, 5'5 STRIKER!!!! We all know he's an old buddy of mo's but this stinks to high heaven!!!

scooter
04-07-2010, 08:00 AM
let the games begin

mornin d

Oldtimer
04-07-2010, 08:06 AM
Jimmy will be the guy who gets the coffee and Timbits in the morning.

deltox
04-07-2010, 08:09 AM
just saw the Joseph Nane interview on TFC TV.

back in Cameroon he went by JO JO.... i think thats his nickname here now!

Technorgasm
04-07-2010, 08:13 AM
so we have ADDED a GK, and Subtracted a defender?

this MO Math is getting silly. . . lets just subtract the points now, and divie up the non play-off eastern spots.

a great man said to me yesterday:

Dont go to support the management
Dont go to support the FO
Dont go to support th Players.

Go to support the supporters.
the lads that are there week in week out full of hope and song!

Menelaos
04-07-2010, 08:21 AM
A third goalie!! Yes, less defenders, more goalies....exactly what we need.

Hell, maybe they will let us use two goalies at once....

I'll miss Jim, I always liked him.

Shaughno
04-07-2010, 08:33 AM
Guys, 3 keepers is the 'norm' in the MLS. Especially when there has been a reserve league as well. For the cost of Conway and Kocic, I really don't see any point 'complaining'. Besides, Kocic was fantastic in preseason from all accounts. Besides, we have 3, yes 3, defenders in camp of which at least two are expected to sign with us.

Don Julio
04-07-2010, 09:03 AM
Can we get some money together and buy pb a decent camera ffs?!

Stouffville_RPB
04-07-2010, 09:05 AM
Guys, 3 keepers is the 'norm' in the MLS. Especially when there has been a reserve league as well. For the cost of Conway and Kocic, I really don't see any point 'complaining'. Besides, Kocic was fantastic in preseason from all accounts. Besides, we have 3, yes 3, defenders in camp of which at least two are expected to sign with us.

I think the complaining is coming more out of frustration that things haven't been done in areas of greater need than the actual signing of another keeper.

reggie
04-07-2010, 09:08 AM
Sweeping changes at Toronto FC continued Tuesday as Jim Brennan surprisingly decided to retire to join the team’s front office.
Contrary to reports, the new role will not be as assistant general manager. A source privy to the move confirms Brennan will indeed be moving upstairs, but his role will be revealed Wednesday.

http://eedition.toronto.24hrs.ca/epaper/viewer.aspx
i heard he may be working with some of the local soccer clubs..ie woodbridge soccer club,he has done some coaching with them..

CoachGT
04-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Jim told me down in Charleston that he will be working with the Woodbridge Soccer Club in some capacity this year. I had expected that he'd be running a few clinics and other stuff on the technical side.

CoachGT
04-07-2010, 09:38 AM
I think the complaining is coming more out of frustration that things haven't been done in areas of greater need than the actual signing of another keeper.

I think it is the answer to our defensive woes - if we put 4 keepers on the pitch at the same time it reduces the chance of goals against in the last 15......:rolleyes:

Nuvinho
04-07-2010, 09:56 AM
2007 MLS MVP Luciano Emilio has signed with a team (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2010/04/dc_united_mls_news_notes_2.html?wprss=soccerinside r), according to DC United coach Curt Onalfo. We just don’t know which one.

Waggy
04-07-2010, 10:02 AM
2007 MLS MVP Luciano Emilio has signed with a team (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2010/04/dc_united_mls_news_notes_2.html?wprss=soccerinside r), according to DC United coach Curt Onalfo. We just don’t know which one.

.... don't toy with me.... won't even consider the prospect. It'll just set me up for disappointment. The only things Mo brings back from his Brazil trips his urologist takes care of for him

Menelaos
04-07-2010, 10:02 AM

Ok, it is the norm.
Isn't also the norm to have defenders and strikers on the team?
I bet the other teams in the MLS have the same # of bodies that we do.

Shaughno
04-07-2010, 10:08 AM
Ok, it is the norm.
Isn't also the norm to have defenders and strikers on the team?
I bet the other teams in the MLS have the same # of bodies that we do.

And if all goes to plan, we'll have 4 decent defenders (from all accounts) and Gomez, Garcia, Herold and Cann to back them up. I'd say that's at least comparable depth to anyone else in the MLS for defenders.

As for forwards. We have OBW, Barrett, Ibrahim, Peterson up front, with possibly Dickov, Redan and Kerry Baptiste all in line to possibly join.

I know it's never fast enough, or good enough, for Toronto fans, but at least it seems the pieces of the puzzle are there... just haven't been put in place yet.

Menelaos
04-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Sorry, how many of those forwards could play last game or the next?

Didn't DeRo and White play all 90 mins?

I am frustrated because we let go of so many players and replaced them with air and picks.

Now, another defender goes, and we get a third goalie....

Shaughno
04-07-2010, 10:12 AM

I am frustrated because we let go of so many players and replaced them with air and picks.

And I'm sure if it was easy as posting on a messageboard, it would all already be a done deal yeah? How many times have we been buggered by the MLS FO taking their sweet ass time filling out the paperwork and all that shit?

maninb
04-07-2010, 10:19 AM
And if all goes to plan, we'll have 4 decent defenders (from all accounts) and Gomez, Garcia, Herold and Cann to back them up. I'd say that's at least comparable depth to anyone else in the MLS for defenders.

As for forwards. We have OBW, Barrett, Ibrahim, Peterson up front, with possibly Dickov, Redan and Kerry Baptiste all in line to possibly join.

I know it's never fast enough, or good enough, for Toronto fans, but at least it seems the pieces of the puzzle are there... just haven't been put in place yet.

Shaughno..Nice points...but PLEASE don't insinuate Dickov is any kind of a replacement...he's a slow 38 year old 5'5 washed up striker who wouldn't even be considered if he wasn't one of Mo's drinking buddies..

jenkinsm
04-07-2010, 10:21 AM
And I'm sure if it was easy as posting on a messageboard, it would all already be a done deal yeah? How many times have we been buggered by the MLS FO taking their sweet ass time filling out the paperwork and all that shit?

There is obviously a lot of logistics that go on in the background that we are not aware of. Afterall, the league has to approve all contracts.

Look how long it took to get de Guzman's contract approved last year after they had already released that he was signing.

Maybe they couldn't sign these guys (or whoever) until Brennan and Gerba's contract/allocation had been resolved. Hopefully today will shed some light.

We're an impatient bunch.

Waggy
04-07-2010, 10:21 AM

To be fair, I think everyone agrees that the players we had were inadequate. It's not like we just let all world players walk away with no replacements. It's unfair to complain one day that these garbage players are here, and then the next that they aren't. We know more signings are immanent, we see the training reports and we know that the team can't function without more players. We've waited for 3 years to have a decent team, whats another few hours to see what we've got? We don't even know what happened yesterday yet. For all we know Del Piero and Ronaldo are chilling at the ACC right now waiting for their introductions. (obviously joking, but you get the point)

jenkinsm
04-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Shaughno..Nice points...but PLEASE don't insinuate Dickov is any kind of a replacement...he's a slow 38 year old 5'5 washed up striker who wouldn't even be considered if he wasn't one of Mo's drinking buddies..

A 'a slow 38 year old 5'5 washed up striker' that last year alone scored tons of goa...yeah...yeah, you're probably right. :(

ManUtd4ever
04-07-2010, 10:24 AM

If it was TFC, that would be sweet! Doubtful though as I think it would have leaked by now...

TFCREDNWHITE
04-07-2010, 10:28 AM
P.Union

maninb
04-07-2010, 10:28 AM
A 'a slow 38 year old 5'5 washed up striker' that last year alone scored tons of goa...yeah...yeah, you're probably right. :(

???? LOL!!! 10 goals in 50+ games over 2 seasons is a TON OF GOALS???? Man you do have low expectations...Gerba could have beatne that! :o

Menelaos
04-07-2010, 10:31 AM

I don't believe anyone here thinks or has posted that it would be easy.

I'll state it again...

"I" (as in myself) am frustrated because they lose players in certain positions (via trade/retirement/sent home/not resigned) and don't replace those positions.

So, when I see us signing a 3rd goalie...it makes me wonde WTF they are doing.

Shaughno
04-07-2010, 10:33 AM
I don't expect Dickov to be the answer to our goal scoring woes. Not at all actually. I fully expect if he joins he'll be more for experience and used as a super sub. Beating up the opposing backline. He is the ideal secondary striker partner in Preki's system. He works hard, no matter who he's playing. He got the nickname the wasp for a reason. He's still wanted in England for a reason. He's a pest. He forces opposing defenders to hurry the game and usually forces a ton of mistakes. This is how he will be utilized I would bet, along with tutoring the young strikers we do have already.

Shaughno
04-07-2010, 10:34 AM
I don't believe anyone here thinks or has posted that it would be easy.

I'll state it again...

"I" (as in myself) am frustrated because they lose players in certain positions (via trade/retirement/sent home/not resigned) and don't replace those positions.

So, when I see us signing a 3rd goalie...it makes me wonde WTF they are doing.

As mentioned a few posts above. You can't sign the player if the space isn't there, whether it be roster spots or cap space. The MLS simply isn't going to approve of a signing until all of the i's are dotted and the t's crossed. This means the players must be moved, prior to officially signing any new players. We've seen it before, including last year with JDG and Dichio.

For what it's worth, we needed depth basically everywhere except midfield, and it looks like those issues are being addressed. Give it time. Although not ideal, I'd much rather get this sorted in the next week or two, than wait until June/July before moving players/making trades/acquisitions.

jenkinsm
04-07-2010, 10:37 AM
???? LOL!!! 10 goals in 50+ games over 2 seasons is a TON OF GOALS???? Man you do have low expectations...Gerba could have beatne that! :o

haha...jokes.

Gerba? That's debatable. :D

JonO
04-07-2010, 11:02 AM
He got the nickname the wasp for a reason. He's still wanted in England for a reason. He's a pest. He forces opposing defenders to hurry the game and usually forces a ton of mistakes. This is how he will be utilized I would bet, along with tutoring the young strikers we do have already.Sounds like the perfect guy to tutor barrett

Shaughno
04-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Sounds like the perfect guy to tutor barrett

Barrett... Ibbe... OBW... why not all of them? He has the experience and definitely the mental aspect of the game.

gtaguy
04-07-2010, 11:46 AM
If Jimmy B is assistant head GM is he allowed to Hire and Fire people.. If so the first order of business is to fire GARCIA'S ass

Nuvinho
04-07-2010, 11:57 AM
Wheeler:

CONFIRMED - 3 more TFC signings are imminent - one player has already signed, 2 others are close

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-07-2010, 12:02 PM
Damn... I didn't see this coming at all. While I've been critical of Brennan's play in the last two seasons, he still has all my respect. Quite a shame.

ManUtd4ever
04-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Wheeler:

CONFIRMED - 3 more TFC signings are imminent - one player has already signed, 2 others are close

Good stuff. This scenario reminds me of season 2 when the signings of Robert, Ricketts, and Guevara were announced within the first couple of weeks. Let's hope the players signed this time around have a greater long term positive impact on the fortunes of the club...

keem-o-sabi
04-07-2010, 12:09 PM
coed girls 1 (http://coedmagazine.com/2010/04/07/miss-coed-anni-friesinger/) and 2 (http://coedmagazine.com/2010/04/06/miss-coed-maya-rew/)

Mikey
04-07-2010, 12:10 PM
I'm sure all this could have been avoided if someone had told Mo the season starts in March, not June.......

Waggy
04-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Well, I was wrong

icecoldbeer
04-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Wheeler:

Link?

Damien
04-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Link?

http://twitter.com/LukeWileman/status/11767607580

icecoldbeer
04-07-2010, 01:14 PM
http://twitter.com/LukeWileman/status/11767607580

Thats Luke Wileman, not Gareth Wheeler...common Bolton!

Waggy
04-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Thats Luke Wileman, not Gareth Wheeler...common Bolton!

Uh, thats what Mo said in the press conference. No inside sources there. He said it sounding like a used car salesmen. Don't get your hopes too high up. Though hopefully Mo actually comes through this time

icecoldbeer
04-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Uh, thats what Mo said in the press conference. No inside sources there. He said it sounding like a used car salesmen. Don't get your hopes too high up. Though hopefully Mo actually comes through this time

I understand that, plus Luke is on the ML$E payroll. Hopes are starting to flatten haha

shutupkid
04-07-2010, 07:02 PM
I'll miss Jimmy B.

bangersandmash
04-07-2010, 08:42 PM
TFC's Brennan to become assistant to the GM

fixed. Jimmy B, coffee boy extraordinaire.

DOMIN8R
04-07-2010, 09:09 PM
“To be a vocal guy like Jimmy isn’t easy,” he admitted. “He’s always been supportive of us and he’s meant so much for this club. That he’s still around is huge. He’s still part of the team. He’ll still be with us every day, and that will help the guys on this team, especially the young guys. Just not on the field.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/content/de-guzman-mates-dark-over-new-tfc-captain

Auzzy
04-07-2010, 10:30 PM
^ Another interesting article on mlssoccer.com. I know the new website roll-out has been a gigantic mess. But I somehow feel the articles are showing a bit more journalistic independence than in the past. There have been some hard-hitting headlines, some reporting of in-official information (like writing about the Brennan departure based on the media rumours, before the club had officially announced it), and a few more things. This article quoting JDG is another that doesn't seem to be written by The Ministry of Truth.