PDA

View Full Version : An Open Letter to the Toronto Sports Media

bgnewf
04-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Dear Toronto Sports Media:

Tomorrow Afternoon at BMO Field Toronto FC Director of Soccer Mo Johnston will announce that TFC Captain Jim Brennan is retiring with immediate effect in order to take a position as the Assistant to the Director of Soccer. This development is one of the most surprising things to happen in the short history of this club.

Over the past couple of weeks club staff such as Coach Preki, and Jim Brennan himself for that matter, have come out as upset about what they consider as overly critical or negative coverage of this club so far this season in the media. This is im my opinion a tactic designed to get the heat off the club during a time of great uncertainty and upheaval. And with due respect, it appears to be working. You are not asking the tough questions.

Don't believe them! You are not being nearly critical enough in your approach to finding out what is really happening with this team. As the media you have a responsibility to ask the questions that your readers, viewers and listeners want to have asked. We do not care how excited anyone is. We don't care about the mood. And we don't want to hear about how anyone is feeling.

During this press conference a number of very important questions need to be asked to both Mo and Jim, and based on past history, I frankly believe that you all may not be up to the task of asking them. Softball questions are all we as fans have to come to expect from most of the journalists covering this club and if there is ever a time to ask some tough questions then tomorrow is that time.

I implore you all to at least consider asking some of the questions that need answering.If you are stuck for a loss of words when Michelle Lissel calls upon you to ask your question I have a few suggestions below to help you out, in no particular order.

"Jim, last week on the 'It's Called Football' program you stated that your intention was to play the rest of this season and then retire at the end of this year. What changed from last week to now to make you change our mind and retire from playing immediately?"

"Mo, there are a lot of apparent similarities between the retirements of Jim Brennan here today and Danny Dichio last season. When Danny retired suddenly last season Julian De Guzman was signed days after. Now Jim retires and we have rumours of high priced players like Paul Dickov on their way into the club. Can you address fan concerns Mo that these types of moves are more related to your management of the salary cap than any wish of the players to retire in this type of fashion at this time?"

"Mo, reports yesterday quoted an executive of another MLS club who said this move was, quote '...strange (considering) that a player with little business experience and no experience in this league when it comes to soccer administration...has been promoted to such a position...". Would either you or Jim care to respond?"

"Jim, you were the club's first signing and the club's captain from day one. Some fans are saying that you leaving at this time in this way is not the way a leader should lead. Do you feel you are turning your back on the players in the locker room and on the fans?"

"Mo, is this a rebuilding year?"

"Mo, can you rate the club's chances to make the playoffs?"

"Jim, why did you go through a gruelling training camp and work hard to prepare for the season as a player and then realize now that this was the time to retire? Was there a specific event or issue that precipitated this decision?"

"Mo, you stated previously that Preki has been responsible for most, if not all, the player personnel decisions with the club since his arrival. With that in mind can you please clarify what you consider your role as Director of Soccer is if you are not making the calls on players?" And as a follow up question: "Mo, can you or Jim explain specifically what an assistant to the Director of Soccer is going to be directly responsible for?"

Breaking news sells newspapers, draws in viewers/listeners and makes you look good to your bosses. Newsrooms are places now experiencing cutbacks and layoffs. There are stories here people. I urge you to take advantage of a great opportunity tomorrow to break them and do yourselves a favour.

Good luck.
Tim Drodge

PS. Please visit my blog called "The View From The South Stands" about all things TFC at http://www.tfcpics.com/blog (http://www.tfcpics.com/blog)

deeznutz
04-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Dear Toronto Sports Media:

"Mo, is this a rebuilding year?"

Not even 4 years years in and were "rebuliding".....:facepalm:

Krasno.pL.
04-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Id Like To See A Reporter ask some of those..

ensco
04-06-2010, 08:05 PM
"Jim, would it be contrary to your role as a paid spokesperson for Fieldturf to appear on grass at BMO?"

(just kidding....but it makes you wonder....)

Cashcleaner
04-06-2010, 09:05 PM
Not even 4 years years in and were "rebuliding".....:facepalm:

It's true, though. As much as we don't want to admit it, there's no other explanation.

TFC Cityboy
04-06-2010, 09:09 PM
well crafted questions. Let's see if any of the muppets have the gonads to ask any of them

anto7
04-06-2010, 09:11 PM
All very good questions that should be asked

prizby
04-06-2010, 09:12 PM
what no questions about nick garcia lol?

Pookie
04-06-2010, 09:26 PM
bgnewf, I like your questions and willingness to put yourself out there.

I was reading the one about "Taking one for the Director" and came to this line:

"I am sure Danny did not want to end his career as a player the way it ended. And I think that Jimmy feels exactly the same way today"

I'll admit, I rolled my eyes over that one.

Jimmy may have wanted to be a role player coming off the bench. He may have wanted to hoist the Cup in Toronto on home field.

But in talking with him personally, he mentioned he felt he had one more season and was looking forward to pursing his coaching licenses. I'm not talking out of school here, he's said to more than one person.

From his perspective, he could finish this season and risk being unemployed while pursuing his coaching licenses or he could take a completely made up job, show up for work now and then and tackle his licensing and future career now... while still having his mortgage paid.

You lose me on the woe-is-Danny or woe-is-Jimmy angle that you seem to gravitate towards. This may in fact be a good thing for Brennan and his family.

I am seeing this move as you do, a clear attempt to cut salary and work within the cap system. They are pushing a long standing player off of the bench and into retirement.

But in both cases, they offered them plum jobs in line with their future careers at a time when both players were thinking that they would soon retire anyways. That may not be a bad thing for them.

That said, it's your blog so write whatever the hell you want. I like to read well thought out opinion and love looking for posts that challenge me to think about my perspective. Your stuff has a ton of potential and I think you'd earn even more credibility if you abandoned the Damien Cox style of siding with any anti-management angle to a story.

I guess I'm just saying try to be objective and you might uncover some very interesting things to write about.

:)

daner90
04-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Not even 4 years years in and were "rebuliding".....

Didn't we have to be good at some point to be RE-building...

I think we are in the 4th year and still trying to build...

Roogsy
04-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Didn't we have to be good at some point to be RE-building...

I think we are in the 4th year and still trying to build...

Either one is a fail.

K1nG
04-06-2010, 10:39 PM
bgnewf (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/member.php?u=482),

I applaud you for putting forth these questions. They are very well thought through and relevant. We need more people like you.

sulfur
04-07-2010, 07:00 AM
Why, oh why, is the constant focus on Paul Dickov though? Especially since (even if he chooses to come here) he can't join TFC until mid-June at the earliest.

Oldtimer
04-07-2010, 07:31 AM
Good questions. The media watch this board, so we know that at least some of them will see this list.

Will the media ask the hard questions, though? None of them want their access cut off.

bgnewf
04-07-2010, 07:44 AM

I was reading the one about "Taking one for the Director" and came to this line:

"I am sure Danny did not want to end his career as a player the way it ended. And I think that Jimmy feels exactly the same way today"

Jimmy may have wanted to be a role player coming off the bench. He may have wanted to hoist the Cup in Toronto on home field.

But in talking with him personally, he mentioned he felt he had one more season and was looking forward to pursing his coaching licenses. I'm not talking out of school here, he's said to more than one person.

From his perspective, he could finish this season and risk being unemployed while pursuing his coaching licenses or he could take a completely made up job, show up for work now and then and tackle his licensing and future career now... while still having his mortgage paid.

You lose me on the woe-is-Danny or woe-is-Jimmy angle that you seem to gravitate towards. This may in fact be a good thing for Brennan and his family.

I am seeing this move as you do, a clear attempt to cut salary and work within the cap system. They are pushing a long standing player off of the bench and into retirement.

But in both cases, they offered them plum jobs in line with their future careers at a time when both players were thinking that they would soon retire anyways. That may not be a bad thing for them.

That said, it's your blog so write whatever the hell you want. I like to read well thought out opinion and love looking for posts that challenge me to think about my perspective. Your stuff has a ton of potential and I think you'd earn even more credibility if you abandoned the Damien Cox style of siding with any anti-management angle to a story.

I guess I'm just saying try to be objective and you might uncover some very interesting things to write about.

Really appreciate the feedback and I welcome it. You can't please veryone and I don't pretend to try. If I can give a fan a different perspective and challenge their opinions then I am perhaps on the right track. :)

Steve
04-07-2010, 08:00 AM

Well said. I also don't get the whole "Dichio and Brennan have been mishandled!" line. They were offered jobs. They accepted the jobs. Why do people have such a hard on for making Mo the devil that they want to make stuff up to make him look bad? From my perspective, he's done enough legitimately wrong to replace him, so why also try to come up with these horror stories? If you ask Dichio, do you think he's pissed at Mo for offering him a choice. Likely:

"Hey, we don't have room under the cap to sign De Guzman, and you're looking to retire at the end of this year anyway. I know you're not really in the coaches plans for the rest of the year. Do you mind retiring now to free up some space, and we'll make sure to set you up well on your next career path by hiring you right away to coach at the same wages (or more) you were making as a player?"

You know what I would have said to that if I had a wife and kids (who I had moved over from England) to support? "Where do I sign!". Sure, he might have been disappointed in not finishing the season, but he got to make a seamless transition into another relatively high paying job. How many soccer players can say that? Same thing with Brennan.

As for your questions (bgnewf) I think most of them are quite apt. I completely agree with asking both Mo and Brennan "What exactly are the roles and responsibilities of an assistant GM, and what makes Brennan at all qualified to fulfill those roles and responsibilities" as that's where it all falls apart to me. I mean, technical director, assistant academy coach, sure, but assistant GM? The only thing I can think of is that Brennan doesn't have his coaching license yet, so they're putting him into a "placeholder" job until he gets it.

brad
04-07-2010, 08:05 AM
I'd really, really like to see someone pin down Mo on his 5-year plan. Particularly, was gutting the squad at the start of the fourth year part of the 5-year plan, and if not, what was the 5-year plan and where did it fail?

Not that that would ever get asked or answered...

boozilla
04-07-2010, 08:08 AM
Unless a reporter grows a pair, odds that these pertinent questions will be asked and answered are low.
Expect hollow 'chin-up' awkwardness, which could be funny, if it weren't so tragic.

Pookie
04-07-2010, 08:09 AM
I'd really, really like to see someone pin down Mo on his 5-year plan. Particularly, was gutting the squad at the start of the fourth year part of the 5-year plan, and if not, what was the 5-year plan and where did it fail?

I'm also curious to see if a 5 year plan, in the MLS, is even possible.

Most models for professional sport assume that you acquire a franchise player (or more) and build a supporting cast around them. You find skilled, consistent, and hard working talent and go from there.

Except in the case of the MLS, if you find skilled, consistent, hard working talent, they are most likely to end up on a transfer within a few years. Imagine a long term plan built around Edu or in present terms, around Nana.

The closest thing we have is JDG on a 3 year deal.

Mango Kid
04-07-2010, 08:11 AM
Love the questions, Big Newf. Sadly, the odds of them being answered - even if asked - are about as low as Tiger producing a video montage for all to see of him banging the dozens upon thousands of ladies he did with Elin having held the camera.

scooter
04-07-2010, 08:19 AM
finally rational in a sea of passion

hey jimmy we need to free up cap space retire now and we will set you up as a coach so you can nicely support your family for years to come
where do i sign

that is all

bgnewf
04-07-2010, 08:19 AM

That's a great question. Wish I would have thought of it.

Beach_Red
04-07-2010, 08:24 AM
I'm also curious to see if a 5 year plan, in the MLS, is even possible.

Most models for professional sport assume that you acquire a franchise player (or more) and build a supporting cast around them. You find skilled, consistent, and hard working talent and go from there.

Except in the case of the MLS, if you find skilled, consistent, hard working talent, they are most likely to end up on a transfer within a few years. Imagine a long term plan built around Edu or in present terms, around Nana.

The closest thing we have is JDG on a 3 year deal.

I've never been able to find anywhere where anyone said "five year plan." All I've ever seen is people saying it would take five years to go from scrath to competing for the championship. No one said it woud be a straight road.

Technorgasm
04-07-2010, 08:29 AM

Ali Gerba
Edson Buddle
Conor Casey
Jeff Cinningham
Laurent Robert. .

Davenport
04-07-2010, 08:34 AM
Why does everyone on here call Johnston Mo ?
Using a first name implies friendship/familiarity and is way too cosy for a man who's such a shocking job.
Mourinho is Mourinho, Ferguson is Ferguson, Benitez is....
Get it ?
They're not Jose, Alec....etc
Johnston should be Johnston.

One question:
How come you got a job you're not qualified for and how come you're still in it when you've done nothing in 4 years to improve a team that the loyal TFC supporters deserve ?

fetajr
04-07-2010, 08:46 AM
Dickov?, you're shitting me? that guy is done... cant understand why Mo doesnt think outside of the box

H Bomb
04-07-2010, 09:09 AM
Why does everyone on here call Johnston Mo ?
Using a first name implies friendship/familiarity and is way too cosy for a man who's such a shocking job.
Mourinho is Mourinho, Ferguson is Ferguson, Benitez is....
Get it ?
They're not Jose, Alec....etc
Johnston should be Johnston.

One question:
How come you got a job you're not qualified for and how come you're still in it when you've done nothing in 4 years to improve a team that the loyal TFC supporters deserve ?

They call benitez rafa. And they dont like him. We could call mojo sweet cheeks and still think him a fool.

bgnewf
04-07-2010, 09:10 AM
Dickov?, you're shitting me? that guy is done... cant understand why Mo doesnt think outside of the box

I have been talking to a few Leeds United supporters across the pond via their message boards and I can tell you that the scuttlebuttt over there is that Dickov coming here is a done deal, whatever that is worth.

Whether Brennan 'retiring" is part of that remains to be seen I guess.

Beach_Red
04-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Another question I'd like to ask anyone at TFC is, "It seems like in season four you're still filling front office positions. Has this team been given enough resources, especially considering it's one of the few profitable teams in the league?"

menefreghista
04-07-2010, 09:26 AM
Even if a tough question is asked, its doubtful you would even get a satisfying answer.

Beach_Red
04-07-2010, 09:41 AM
^ Yeah, but it can still be satisfying just to hear the question asked. And see a little squirming.

In fact, Anselmi's line about Mo squirming is one of the lowest points n this team's history and shows what little regard senior management atually has for the fans, how little they really care about the team. Maybe a question about that would be good, too.

I'd also like to ask MLSE to compare the way they're building an expansion team to the way RSL have done it and if they feel they've been doing as good a job? Not just the results on the field, but the way they've built infrastructure.

Krasno.pL.
04-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Lets Get These Questions Out There ;)

tfc2007
04-07-2010, 11:40 AM
Well thoughout questions.

What does the future of TFC look like within the upcoming weeks, months, and years?

bgnewf
04-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Dear Toronto "mainstream" sports media. With the exception of Nigel Reed you all suck.

EPIC FAIL

Glenchen29
10-17-2010, 04:55 PM
When Jimmy retired that was a HUGE red flag for me, something was going down behind the sceens???

Great questions to look back on!