PDA

View Full Version : Rumour-Iwan Redan, Kerry Baptiste and Canadian Adrian Cann to Toronto FC?

hodgkiss
04-06-2010, 06:12 PM
not the most reliable sourse but could solve some issues in teh short term...

http://www.mls-rumors.net/7857/2010/04/incoming-iwan-redan-kerry-baptiste-and-canadian-international-adrian-cann-to-toronto-fc/

Lots of going on at TFC today, club Captain Jim Brennan steps down to take up a position as assistant GM, reportedly due to personality conflicts with Preki. Also, strikers Iwan Redan, a Dutch player best know for headbutting one of his own players during a game, and Kerry Baptiste, a prolific TNT international, are strongly rumoured be signing with the club. Canadian international Adrian Cann, an off-again, on-again trialist with the club, was seen at training today.

Full Name Iwan Redan
Birth Date August 21, 1980
Birth Place : Netherlands
Height 5′ 11″ (1.80m)
Weight 172 lbs (78 kg)
Age 29
Position Forward

Kerry Baptiste – photo www.socawarriors.net
Position Midfielder
Height 175 cm
Date of Birth December 1st, 1981 (age 28)
Place of Birth Carenage, Trinidad and Tobago
Debut January 29th, 2003 (aged 21)
Caps/Goals 43 ( 8 goals)
Current Club Joe Public (2007- present)

Adrian Cann – Photo www.efb.dk
Date of birth 19 September 1980 (1980-09-19) (age 29)
Place of birth Thornhill, Canada
Height 1.90 m (6 ft 3 in)
Playing position Defender

Shakes McQueen
04-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Adrian Cann has to be considered a lock at this point, with the departure of Brennan.

- Scott

MG42
04-06-2010, 06:18 PM
where have we seen this type of player before lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iwan_Redan

2004–2007: Willem II and rise to fame
At Willem II he became one of the teams key players and almost represented the team in all of their league games. However in late December 2005 he and Dutch international player Kevin Bobson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Bobson) were relegated to Willem II's second team because their mental and physical performances were considered to be weak.[7] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iwan_Redan#cite_note-6) As a result Redan wanted to leave the club and went on trial to several clubs like Preston North End (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preston_North_End), Sheffield Wednesday (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_Wednesday), Ipswich Town (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipswich_Town_F.C.) and CD Numancia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD_Numancia), but did never sign a contract and returned to Willem II.[8] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iwan_Redan#cite_note-7) Since then he hardly played any matches until he became a regular again in the 2006/07 season and even became the team's captain. Willem II was however performing badly and was found in the lower rankings of the league all the time. During a KNVB Cup (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KNVB_Cup) match against De Graafschap (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Graafschap) Redan headbutted team mate Kristof Imschoot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristof_Imschoot) and the Willem II board decided Redan had to leave the club.[9] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iwan_Redan#cite_note-8)

2007–present: downfall

Redan was not sold, but found himself on loan to Cardiff City FC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiff_City_F.C.). He failed to establish himself in the squad and at the end of the season he returned to Willem II (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willem_II_Tilburg) but was released by the club at the end of the year. He had a trial for Aris Thessaloniki F.C. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aris_Thessaloniki_F.C.) but he did not persuade the head coach Dusan Bajevic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dusan_Bajevic).

hodgkiss
04-06-2010, 06:20 PM
i like this: kerry baptiste 2007 - present - 87 appearances, 67 goals!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerry_Baptiste

redan seems like a reject and a trouble maker.

cann is needed big time!

backbeat
04-06-2010, 06:30 PM
if we had to bounce Brennan for enough cap space to help bring this lot in then we absolutely have NO money left!!

Nodoubtguy
04-06-2010, 07:04 PM
Press conference tomorrow at 1:30 to announce player movement

Not sure if that's players in or Jimmy B out

Stryker
04-06-2010, 07:07 PM
Oh look who's on the club's radar, it's another well traveled striker with a spotty record.
Excellent.

Krasno.pL.
04-06-2010, 07:08 PM
I hope some reporter just stands up and asks.. Wtf m8?

tfc2007
04-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Saw Cann at training today..
He looked really good. Tackled hard, played smart, good first touch.
That would be a good pick up.

Nuvinho
04-06-2010, 07:19 PM
i like this: kerry baptiste 2007 - present - 87 appearances, 67 goals!

that sounds like my scoring record as 'Be a Pro' in FIFA10 on beginner level ;)

Kaz
04-06-2010, 07:30 PM
ummm I seem to recall Baptiste being the Captian of Joe Public. At least during the last two Concacaf CL's. What reason would he have to leave... did he just play one game in the regular season an say, fuck it I've played close to home long enough?

ManUtd4ever
04-06-2010, 07:34 PM
ummm I seem to recall Baptiste being the Captian of Joe Public. At least during the last two Concacaf CL's. What reason would he have to leave... did he just play one game in the regular season an say, fuck it I've played close to home long enough?

I could think of two reasons. Money and the sizeable Trinidadian community in Toronto...

billyfly
04-06-2010, 07:40 PM
After the Hedo disaster, we don;t need any communities help...

poppamidnight
04-06-2010, 08:11 PM
After the Hedo disaster, we don;t need any communities help...

BALL!

Pachuco
04-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Fuck me if Mo signs Cann as a replacement for the horrendous defense we have. We don't need more depth. WE NEED STARTERS!

Gixmo
04-06-2010, 08:36 PM
I don't see why Cann would be a bad addition, We clearly need some defensive help.

We also need strikers, Yes - But we hurt all over. Baptiste is an ideal candidate unless this is smoke & mirrors

Pachuco
04-06-2010, 08:42 PM
I don't see why Cann would be a bad addition, We clearly need some defensive help.

We also need strikers, Yes - But we hurt all over. Baptiste is an ideal candidate unless this is smoke & mirrors

So any defender is a good addition because we need defenders? what about Cann tells you he's good enough as a starter in the MLS? If Cann works out then he's overachieving. There's nothing about his resume that makes me think this guy can replace Nick Garcia at CB.

denime
04-06-2010, 08:48 PM
So any defender is a good addition because we need defenders? what about Cann tells you he's good enough as a starter in the MLS? If Cann works out then he's overachieving. There's nothing about his resume that makes me think this guy can replace Nick Garcia at CB.

So you are saying we should keep Garcia?

Whats wrong with you,you can't make a statement like that in public,angry mob will get you right away. :D

Now back to topic,Cann is at least 5 years younger and that 10 cm taller,that makes him better CB than our Designated Pylon Garcia.

TFC_4_Life
04-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Found this info on Iwan Redan from The Offside
http://cardiff.theoffside.com/cardiff-city-news/whatever-happened-to.html

"Iwan REDAN (01/07 – 05/07)
A Surinamese striker with pace and power making waves in the Eredivisie. Sound familiar? To followers of Oranje-flavoured football, this is a scenario that generally plays out each season as numerous neophytes burst in to XIs nationwide. Alas, breakthrough sealed, so began young Iwan’s descent to the proverbial wayside. Tales of ugly footballer-style excess, car crashes, and the dissipation of that famous burst of pace culminated in Redan leaving the Netherlands after offering a teammate a Glaswegian kiss.
The Dutchman’s locomotive had ground to a permanent shrieking halt at the perdition that is Stagnation Station. Below the platforms, Cardiff City were one of the retail outlets Redan browsed at during his time in the concourse. A player once dubbed the ‘new Patrick Kluivert‘ scarcely featured in the blue shirt despite arriving with a commendable career goal tally. Even when he did get opportunities, it was only to be upstaged by youngsters against the likes of Carmarthen Town. Since his time in Glamorgan, the Surinamese stroller has lugged his socks & shinnies to Aris Thessaloniki (Greece), RKC Waalwijk, RBC Roosendaal, AEP Paphos (Cyprus), Excelisor, and Germany’s VfL Osnabrück respectively. Most recently, Redan has embarked upon fruitless trials with FC Zwolle, and latterly, Den Bosch. It would appear the flâneur’s train is still lifeless at the aforementioned rail stop, doing little more than gathering rust and ‘NCF’ graffiti."

Doesn't sound very promising. Sound like he needs a complete change of attitude, a new found commitment and his speed from 5 years ago.

Smokecell
04-06-2010, 09:54 PM
I would still play Garcia over Cann...

CretanBull
04-06-2010, 09:54 PM
I've never heard of Redan. I think Cann is better suited for a back-up roll. Baptiste is a solid player - he's also a target man type striker, not a midfielder.

jloome
04-06-2010, 10:33 PM
I've never heard of Redan. I think Cann is better suited for a back-up roll. Baptiste is a solid player - he's also a target man type striker, not a midfielder.

He was a midfielder/wide forward for most of his career, because he's really good with the ball at his feet. He moved to striker last season and scored 47 goals, apparently. Can create by dribbling through people, open up defences. We were looking at him two seasons ago (I think he came over for a trial then, and was still playing wide.)

He had trials in England but the usual problem of work permit issues got in the way. Given how much other club interest there's been in him over the last four years or so, I'd say he's got a legit shot.

EDIT: he just got back from a trial at Ipswich but it must've not worked out. There's an interview on one of the sites saying he turned down a trial with TFC and FC Dallas because he wanted a direct contract offer. He also scored a hat-trick in domestic play last week.

GuelphStorm2007
04-06-2010, 10:40 PM
I honestly do not know about Iwan and Baptiste but definaty we need Cann in the defensive position

Shakes McQueen
04-06-2010, 10:40 PM
I'll be happy if we can get Baptiste. The other two don't interest me very much.

- Scott

CretanBull
04-06-2010, 10:45 PM
^I've seen him play a few times, and each of those times he's been a striker - maybe as a wide forward (I guess depending on formation and how you want to define a particular role). On the national team, his role seems to be to hold up the ball and make a quick, short pass to Kenwyne Jones...he tends to dangle the ball at his feet to draw in defenders, then tucks the ball through to open space/a breaking Jones. On Joe Public - in the games that I've watched - he's more of a traditional striker. He can run with the ball and shoot, but they tend to play the ball into him while his back is to the goal and he turns and fires.

I assume :noidea: we'd be interested in him as a striker, not a midfielder...

BS1327
04-06-2010, 11:04 PM
If we got Baptiste as a striker, we'd have him up front with either White or Barrett.
Then we throw DeRo in as attacking midfeilder in the centre, allowing DeGuzman to play a more central defensive role, which is honestly where he's best suited!

Inklink
04-06-2010, 11:42 PM
OP says Baptiste is mid.

But posts say otherwise. Either way, intriguing for sure.

VPjr
04-06-2010, 11:57 PM
Baptiste is an intriguing player.

Cann can play at this level. He's not as good as Jakovic (DCU) but better than what TFC has at the moment at CB, imo.

Steve
04-07-2010, 07:50 AM
From the little I know of them (come on, I've totally read their wikis) I would say:

Cann would be a good signing. With our limited cap space, and the way Preki seems to favour role players on defense rather than players with unique upsides (he dumped Wynne pretty fast), Cann seems the perfect fit. Would probably come very cheap, has height, seems to be a solid player, and can fit into a system. That exactly what we need at defense. Sure, he isn't flashy, but Preki hates flashy players at the back.

Baptiste could actually be great. Scoring that many goals, even in an inferior league, is quite something. He seems to be a striker that can create for himself, which is what we sorely need on this team. He also doesn't seem to be on a downward spiral like many of our signings, so I have some good hope for him.

Speaking of downward spirals, Redan I expect to be an absolute disaster signing. Somehow Mo seems to find players that used to be prospects, but never quite made it and have been falling ever since (ala Ricketts, sorry Ricketts fans). Redan I imagine is one of those players. I can't see Preki liking him, I can't see him getting along with our team, and I can't see him scoring many goals for us. I hope he proves me wrong, but I feel like he's going to be offered 200k and then be benched for most of the season. I only hope Mo stays the fuck away from the guaranteed contract papers in this case, because I don't want another Gerba situation at the beginning of next year.

J .
04-07-2010, 08:15 AM
Adrian Cann should be a good depth acquisition, but likely they look at him in a starting role, I am supposing to replace Jimmy B. From what Ive seen of him, he tends to stop moving his feet and watch the game, but I think he would benefit from the Preki style of play.

For the other two, I am cautious about bringing in a player from a lower level of talent and people who have 'mental' issues.... Baptistes strike rate appears impressive however.

What ever happened to Said? He looked promising.

Pachuco
04-07-2010, 08:21 AM
Why would we want Cann over Velez? seriously. Look at their resumes. On paper, there is no way you take Cann over Velez. In fact, I predict Cann becomes the next Velez around here if Preki actually starts him. We already have Ty Harden (another minor league player). How could you possibly build your central defense with Garcia + 2 minor league hitters and hope that it works out? For fucks sakes how does anyone think replacing Serioux with Cann is a good move?

J .
04-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Why would we want Cann over Velez? seriously. Look at their resumes. On paper, there is no way you take Cann over Velez. In fact, I predict Cann becomes the next Velez around here if Preki actually starts him. We already have Ty Harden (another minor league player). How could you possibly build your central defense with Garcia + 2 minor league hitters and hope that it works out? For fucks sakes how does anyone think replacing Serioux with Cann is a good move?

Oddly, I agree with you. We would have three defenders which are at best depth players. People will turn on Cann quickly, he ends up watching the game around him and will get burned wide often.

mmmikey
04-07-2010, 09:02 AM
simple answer: cause we can't afford a proper CB.. and we can maybe play total team defense to patch that over, but we need a baptiste cause we haven't scored in like a million minutes. sad state... but im hoping baptiste turns out to be a revelation for us!!

Shaughno
04-07-2010, 09:03 AM
I'm just curious how 2.5 seasons in the MLS and 1 game in the USL makes Harden a minor leaguer??

Cann will be a solid depth player, I don't expect him to start once we sign these RB/LB that are rumoured. I figure a healthy backline will look like this:

Usanov---Attakora--Harden---Hscanovics

With Gomez, Garcia, Cann subbing in and Gargan/Cronin/Gala filling in the wide positions in times of injuries.

mastermixer
04-07-2010, 09:08 AM
I'm just curious how 2.5 seasons in the MLS and 1 game in the USL makes Harden a minor leaguer??

Cann will be a solid depth player, I don't expect him to start once we sign these RB/LB that are rumoured. I figure a healthy backline will look like this:

With Gomez, Garcia, Cann subbing in and Gargan/Cronin/Gala filling in the wide positions in times of injuries.

Wait a minute. So we are signing Usanov, Hscanovics, Cann, Redan and Baptiste? I find that hard to believe considering our "tight budget".

Shaughno
04-07-2010, 09:12 AM
I'm pretty sure our signings today will be defense only. I don't think Baptiste and Redan have won their contracts yet. Besides, we've been shedding cap space for about a week now and with Jimmy's salary off the cap, that frees up... about $175-200k of cap space, which IMO could easily be distributed between 2-3 players. I don't see two Latvian league defenders commanding much more above $100k each max.

J .
04-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Maybe we are trading Frei to KC for Bunbury or to Houston for Hainault?

I dream...

Ossington Mental Youth
04-07-2010, 09:24 AM
Maybe we are trading Frei to KC for Bunbury

no thanks Bunbury's unproven so far at this level

Wait a minute. So we are signing Usanov, Hscanovics, Cann, Redan and Baptiste? I find that hard to believe considering our "tight budget".

we just freed 200k with Jimmy retiring

menefreghista
04-07-2010, 09:30 AM
we just freed 200k with Jimmy retiring

The interesting question is how much did the Gerba release free up.

Its too bad MLS isn't run like the other major sports where all this contract and CBA stuff is out in the open.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-07-2010, 09:42 AM
id assume 300k seeing as he was paid half that when he came in in June, i should specify that its actually 190k from Jimmy, i just rounded it off

mastermixer
04-07-2010, 09:46 AM
If Mo can sign even 4 out of the 5 guys discussed in this thread, especially Cann and Baptiste, I may give him a little slack. Note... A LITTLE SLACK.

menefreghista
04-07-2010, 09:48 AM
id assume 300k seeing as he was paid half that when he came in in June, i should specify that its actually 190k from Jimmy, i just rounded it off

The thing is we don't know how the league handles a situation with a guaranteed contract being terminated. Do we still take a cap hit? A partial cap hit? No one really knows.

rocker
04-07-2010, 09:53 AM
i wonder tho -- guaranteed contracts are only guaranteed if the player wants it to be.

BY that, I mean, a contract can be terminated, even if guaranteed, by the player as well. This happens in Europe all the time.

So if Jimmy B is basically being given the same $$$$ as assistant GM, he may say "i don't want a buyout, I'll accept the cancellation of the contract." I doubt MLS would have a problem with that. It's money they no longer have to spend.

menefreghista
04-07-2010, 09:55 AM
i wonder tho -- guaranteed contracts are only guaranteed if the player wants it to be.

BY that, I mean, a contract can be terminated, even if guaranteed, by the player as well. This happens in Europe all the time.

So if Jimmy B is basically being given the same $$$$ as assistant GM, he may say "i don't want a buyout, I'll accept the cancellation of the contract." I doubt MLS would have a problem with that. It's money they no longer have to spend.

But the league needs to put in place a system that doesn't allow the rich teams to overly outspend the poorer ones. If TFC can easily sign and release players on guaranteed contracts with no cap implications than it gives them a tremendous advantage over other teams.

The other thing is do people think Gerba gave TFC a discount? I highly doubt it. He probably gets all his money.

Really, if it was as simple as just terminating the contract to get the cap space, Robinson doesn't get traded to NYRB for minimal cap relief.

I'm willing to bet MLS quietly did us a favour.

J .
04-07-2010, 10:09 AM
no thanks Bunbury's unproven so far at this level

Agreed to an extent, maybe Bunbury and some allocation :)

Conway is a capable keeper and we need strikers, even if Bunbury needs development, I would love to pair him and OBW up, let them develop together. If OBW can improve his ability to 1v1 a defender he will be dangerous in MLS. He is not really able to challenge in the air and he is not very fast, but he can strike a ball and just needs too improve his ability to take on MLS defenders. From what I hear about Bunbury he is pacey with a nose for goal like OBW. Obviously, I am just day dreaming on a slow tuesday and Ive not seen Bunbury play, I'd just love for an all Canadian strike tandem that carries us to glory =D

Shaughno
04-07-2010, 10:10 AM
That's what I was thinking Rocker. Mutual Termination usually goes over and above any contract obligations.

jloome
04-07-2010, 10:32 AM
From the little I know of them (come on, I've totally read their wikis) I would say:

Cann would be a good signing. With our limited cap space, and the way Preki seems to favour role players on defense rather than players with unique upsides (he dumped Wynne pretty fast), Cann seems the perfect fit. Would probably come very cheap, has height, seems to be a solid player, and can fit into a system. That exactly what we need at defense. Sure, he isn't flashy, but Preki hates flashy players at the back.

Baptiste could actually be great. Scoring that many goals, even in an inferior league, is quite something. He seems to be a striker that can create for himself, which is what we sorely need on this team. He also doesn't seem to be on a downward spiral like many of our signings, so I have some good hope for him.

Speaking of downward spirals, Redan I expect to be an absolute disaster signing. Somehow Mo seems to find players that used to be prospects, but never quite made it and have been falling ever since (ala Ricketts, sorry Ricketts fans). Redan I imagine is one of those players. I can't see Preki liking him, I can't see him getting along with our team, and I can't see him scoring many goals for us. I hope he proves me wrong, but I feel like he's going to be offered 200k and then be benched for most of the season. I only hope Mo stays the fuck away from the guaranteed contract papers in this case, because I don't want another Gerba situation at the beginning of next year.

I assume the new CBA is in effect and all contracts are guaranteed.

jloome
04-07-2010, 10:35 AM
I'm pretty sure our signings today will be defense only. I don't think Baptiste and Redan have won their contracts yet. Besides, we've been shedding cap space for about a week now and with Jimmy's salary off the cap, that frees up... about $175-200k of cap space, which IMO could easily be distributed between 2-3 players. I don't see two Latvian league defenders commanding much more above $100k each max.

THere was an article in the Trini guardian on Baptiste a few months ago in which hsi agent said he's not going anywhere that he's expected to trial. I imagine they're talking terms or that he's imminent, same with Cann,.

Redan would surprise me a bit, due to the need for a work permit and his poor disciplinary record. DOesn't sound like Preki's kind of player. Maybe he was in the works for quite a while. Never has amounted to much.

Shaughno
04-07-2010, 10:38 AM
THere was an article in the Trini guardian on Baptiste a few months ago in which hsi agent said he's not going anywhere that he's expected to trial. I imagine they're talking terms or that he's imminent, same with Cann,.

Redan would surprise me a bit, due to the need for a work permit and his poor disciplinary record. DOesn't sound like Preki's kind of player. Maybe he was in the works for quite a while. Never has amounted to much.

Yeah, I figure Baptiste is probably close to signing. I just don't think he'll be announced today.

I'm not sure what's up with this Redan stuff. I don't know much about him personally, but is it a history of discipline problems, or just that one time?

jloome
04-07-2010, 10:39 AM
If Mo can sign even 4 out of the 5 guys discussed in this thread, especially Cann and Baptiste, I may give him a little slack. Note... A LITTLE SLACK.

Why? Cann might not cut it, Baptiste is unproven at this level and Redan is a nutjob. I think Cann will do well, but we're the most demanding fans in the league, so it might not be well enough. I think Baptiste can score goals at this level, but it's not gonna be 48.

And even if none of those issues were issues, there's the fact that he didn't sign any of them between last October and now. We're already in week three of the season.

J .
04-07-2010, 10:40 AM

If he refuses to trial, then I hope he is willing to sign a not guaranteed contract. It appears we cannot afford another contractual fuck up.

jloome
04-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Yeah, I figure Baptiste is probably close to signing. I just don't think he'll be announced today.

I'm not sure what's up with this Redan stuff. I don't know much about him personally, but is it a history of discipline problems, or just that one time?

No, he's had training issues throughout his career, not putting in work ethic etc., plus he 's a hot head. I dunno, reeks of Cunny. He'll either struggle to get anything -- or playing time, if it's up to Preki -- or he'll surprise everyone.

I hate gambling, though. Seems dumb. I'd put Baptiste as the better bet to come through.

jloome
04-07-2010, 10:41 AM
If he refuses to trial, then I hope he is willing to sign a not guaranteed contract. It appears we cannot afford another contractual fuck up.

AS I said, I'm pretty sure there are no unguaranteed contracts any more. All deals are guaranteed under the new CBA.

J .
04-07-2010, 10:44 AM
AS I said, I'm pretty sure there are no unguaranteed contracts any more. All deals are guaranteed under the new CBA.

I missed that part.... I hope then they have faith this guy can do it otherwise we could be in trouble if he does sign and pulls a Gerba.

Shaughno
04-07-2010, 10:45 AM
No, he's had training issues throughout his career, not putting in work ethic etc., plus he 's a hot head. I dunno, reeks of Cunny. He'll either struggle to get anything -- or playing time, if it's up to Preki -- or he'll surprise everyone.

I hate gambling, though. Seems dumb. I'd put Baptiste as the better bet to come through.

Fair enough, like I said, he's a nobody to me. From the sounds of it, I'd much rather at least give Baptiste a shot. He's figured out how to hit the back of the net. That's good enough for me right now, especially if Dickov is coming later in the season. He's our hard worker, Baptiste the goal scorer... hopefully it works like that anyway LOL

mastermixer
04-07-2010, 11:06 AM
Why? Cann might not cut it, Baptiste is unproven at this level and Redan is a nutjob. I think Cann will do well, but we're the most demanding fans in the league, so it might not be well enough. I think Baptiste can score goals at this level, but it's not gonna be 48.

And even if none of those issues were issues, there's the fact that he didn't sign any of them between last October and now. We're already in week three of the season.

I agree.. but I'm just trying be positive. Believe me its hard.

Broadview
04-07-2010, 11:10 AM
I assume the new CBA is in effect and all contracts are guaranteed.

The CBA provides for guaranteed contracts for all players who are at least 24 years old with three years of MLS service.

Darlofletch
04-07-2010, 11:39 AM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2010/04/dc_united_mls_news_notes_2.html?wprss=soccerinside r

Luciano emilio has apparently signed with someone, but can't be announced yet. seems like the sort of desperate move mo might make.

Nuvinho
04-07-2010, 11:57 AM
Wheeler:

CONFIRMED - 3 more TFC signings are imminent - one player has already signed, 2 others are close

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-07-2010, 12:00 PM
^ Goff kind of hints it's us or NY:

For a Luciano Emilio update and news from Toronto and New York.....

Nuvinho
04-07-2010, 12:00 PM
^ Goff kind of hints it's us or NY:

I think he had news about New York and TFC in his article, because he later goes on to talk about Backe and Brennan.

Pachuco
04-07-2010, 12:01 PM

I've seen all I need to see from Harden, he's a minor leaguer. No way in hell is he a starter in the MLS. Havind said that, I'm curious how you can think that a healthy backline consists of guys you looked up on Wiki? Not being rude or anything, but atleast I'm going by having seen Cann and Harden play in addition to their resume.

Pigfynn
04-07-2010, 12:02 PM
Wheeler:

CONFIRMED - 3 more TFC signings are imminent - one player has already signed, 2 others are close

Where you seeing this?

Nuvinho
04-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Where you seeing this?

from twitter and its also posted i think on the grill room facebook.

http://twitter.com/grillroom (http://twitter.com/grillroom)

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-07-2010, 12:05 PM
This may prove unpopular, but personally, I don't want Cann to come to TFC for the sake of our national team, and I said the same thing about JDG. These guys need to be playing at a higher level.

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-07-2010, 12:07 PM
JDG maybe, but MLS (or lesser Euro. league) is Cann's level.

menefreghista
04-07-2010, 12:21 PM
This may prove unpopular, but personally, I don't want Cann to come to TFC for the sake of our national team, and I said the same thing about JDG. These guys need to be playing at a higher level.

I don't think Cann is coming here as a favour to the Canadian national team. Not sure what you are going on about.

Shaughno
04-07-2010, 12:24 PM
I've seen all I need to see from Harden, he's a minor leaguer. No way in hell is he a starter in the MLS. Havind said that, I'm curious how you can think that a healthy backline consists of guys you looked up on Wiki? Not being rude or anything, but atleast I'm going by having seen Cann and Harden play in addition to their resume.

"Guys I looked up on wiki"

Pardon? Check the trialist thread good sir, they've been here for a while now.

Whoop
04-07-2010, 12:25 PM
LMAO...

Ossington Mental Youth
04-07-2010, 12:26 PM

its very unpopular from where i sit, club before country, especially with how the csa is doing things

Velvet Elvis
04-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Everyone knows that Shags doesn't look players up on wiki ...

I do it, and then send him the info ...

:D

Pachuco
04-07-2010, 12:38 PM
"Guys I looked up on wiki"

Pardon? Check the trialist thread good sir, they've been here for a while now.

Checked the trialist thread. Found their Wikis. what do I do next in order to come to the same conclusion that these guys are what we need in the back?

I'm personally not judging these guys at all until I see them play. Just wondering how you've come to that conclusion?

Shaughno
04-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Checked the trialist thread. Found their Wikis. what do I do next in order to come to the same conclusion that these guys are what we need in the back?

I'm personally not judging these guys at all until I see them play. Just wondering how you've come to that conclusion?

There have been rumblings within the club that these guys are very close to signing. Given that they're two of the three defenders in on trial that we know about, I would assume they are to be our defensive stand-ins, would you not?

Pachuco
04-07-2010, 12:51 PM
There have been rumblings within the club that these guys are very close to signing. Given that they're two of the three defenders in on trial that we know about, I would assume they are to be our defensive stand-ins, would you not?

Do you seriously think Preki is going to play Harden over Garcia? I think that's wishfull thinking. You've seen gargan play, you even said he looked decent, why wouldn't he start over the new trialists that we've never seen play?

Anyways, all I was trying to say is that I've seen Cann and Harden and that's how I made my assessment of them being minor leaguers (plus their resumes of course). The rest of the guys, I have no idea who they are or how they'll work out or whether they should even start. It is quite possible Mo went out and signed someone worst then Harden and Garcia but I won't comment on guys I don't know until I see them play.

Shaughno
04-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Fair enough. I actually thought Harden did alright, aside from having Garcia beside him...

I thought Gargan did alright, but I also thought he was a midfielder before he came to TFC... so where's he going to play??? LOL

UltraFootyKWC
04-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Do you seriously think Preki is going to play Harden over Garcia? I think that's wishfull thinking. You've seen gargan play, you even said he looked decent, why wouldn't he start over the new trialists that we've never seen play?

Anyways, all I was trying to say is that I've seen Cann and Harden and that's how I made my assessment of them being minor leaguers (plus their resumes of course). The rest of the guys, I have no idea who they are or how they'll work out or whether they should even start. It is quite possible Mo went out and signed someone worst then Harden and Garcia but I won't comment on guys I don't know until I see them play.

Contrary to the name, MLS is by no means a "major league". The whole fuckin' league are a bunch of minor leaguers save a select few.

I am definitely with you on reserving judgement until I see these guys play though. If they do get signed, Preki obviously sees something he can work with.

mmmikey
04-07-2010, 01:08 PM
well... that's good that they are minor leaguers. depsite the name, MLS is a MINOR LEAGUE.

edit: ^doh, i knew i should have gone to the bathroom before posting that!

Pachuco
04-07-2010, 01:15 PM
So imagine when you have a guy (Harden) who couldn't even cut it in the minor leagues last year ;). And Cann, well, he's never played in the minors.

Shaughno
04-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Harden was a regular starter before he 'retired' I would assume last year was more to get him in shape and match fitness more than anything... but who knows. ;)

UltraFootyKWC
04-07-2010, 01:30 PM
So imagine when you have a guy (Harden) who couldn't even cut it in the minor leagues last year ;). And Cann, well, he's never played in the minors.

Fair enough. I'm right there with you dude. I don't know these guys from a whole in the ground, so I am reserving judgement on them for now, but what can we really expect to get in this league? I think you should lower your expectations a bit.

If we can pick up some young serviceable defenders on the cheap, that Preki can mold and and fit in to the system, then I say great. You have to remember that we only have $2.5M to work with here, and almost half of that is being spent on two players.

rocker
04-07-2010, 02:06 PM
it's not that we need the most amazing defender in the world. we just need a decent guy who doesn't fuck up every single game like Garcia does. You can expert defenders to get beat in this league, but it's just too easy with Garcia. My guess is Cann's size alone would prevent a few of Garcia's mistakes (remember Garcia against Casey last year? you put a 6'3 defender up against Casey and Casey probably doesn't score there.

TFC_4_Life
04-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Kerry Baptiste was recently on trial at Ipswich Town in the championship. He also scored 2 goals for Joe Public at the end of march in a caribbean cup game.

http://guardian.co.tt/sports/football/2010/03/21/baptiste-brace-pushes-joe-public-past-leo-victor

This gives impression he is in form and looking for a change of scenery.

TFC_4_Life
04-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Also found this on Baptiste

"He is a strong passer of the ball, and one of the more composed players around, and he has a hunger for getting forward and assisting the strikers and scoring goals. A hardworking midfielder, he has set his sights on earning a professional contract abroad and securing a long-term spot on the National team."

http://www.socawarriors.net/mens-senior-team/player-pool.html?view=playerprofile&id=39

Macksam
04-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Negative. Having more Canadians playing in MLS is what we need in order for the national team to become better.

Stryker
04-07-2010, 05:50 PM
I don't know anything about Cann but I like the fact that he's 6'3".

jloome
04-07-2010, 05:55 PM

Harden was the Galaxy's defender of the year in 2007 and started 27 games for them. And I'll bet a friendly wager he's not the pantload you seem to think he is.

Dirk Diggler
04-07-2010, 06:01 PM
To be honest, I've learned to reserve judgment about the caliber of guys we sign till they actually come to Toronto and play a few games. Since 90% of our signings are virtual unknowns or have played in extremely low level competitions, it is pretty much useless to play professional talent evaluator. One can find positive things on the internet about the clowniest of clowns but at the end all of that is for naught. I remember people posting some positive comments about Gerba from Milton Keynes' fans and we all know how worthless he turned out to be. I think it is best to assume the worst out of every new signing and just hold your judgment before seeing them play in TFC red.

reggie
04-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Also found this on Baptiste

"He is a strong passer of the ball, and one of the more composed players around, and he has a hunger for getting forward and assisting the strikers and scoring goals. A hardworking midfielder, he has set his sights on earning a professional contract abroad and securing a long-term spot on the National team."

http://www.socawarriors.net/mens-senior-team/player-pool.html?view=playerprofile&id=39
do we know if he is on trial with tfc now?

Dirk Diggler
04-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Harden was the Galaxy's defender of the year in 2007 and started 27 games for them. And I'll bet a friendly wager he's not the pantload you seem to think he is.

But to be fair, LA was the worst defensive team in the entire league in 2007 and 2008 so that is not saying a whole lot.

Pachuco
04-07-2010, 06:26 PM

Sooo two things scare me about this statement.

LA Galaxy Defense - Need I say more ;)
2007 - This is a what have you done for me lately business isn't it? I get he was coming out of retirement but Colorado obviously didn't care to keep him after that loan spell considering they traded him for a 3rd round pick.

Regardless, friendly wager on something that could never really be judged? sure why not :)

Shakes McQueen
04-07-2010, 06:33 PM
But to be fair, LA was the worst defensive team in the entire league in 2007 and 2008 so that is not saying a whole lot.

Our defense was pathetic last season, but I think most people would agree Nana Attakora is a phenomenal individual talent.

- Scott

CretanBull
04-07-2010, 06:34 PM
The fact that Harding couldn't crack Colorado's line up, and that they didn't want to keep him as a depth player even though he was on a league minimum salary ($34k) says a lot. It also says a lot, that regardless of those facts - we need him.

Pachuco
04-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Our defense was pathetic last season, but I think most people would agree Nana Attakora is a phenomenal individual talent.

- Scott

CMNT future captain!!!

Dirk Diggler
04-07-2010, 07:27 PM
Also, back in 2007, wasn't Brennan our best d-man? So really, it just seems like a sideways move of replacing one washed up defender with another ... but yeah, we do need some warm bodies so whatever ... not going to complain about Mo signing someone instead of just having a depleted roster ... unless of course the contract is ridiculous.

devioustrevor
04-07-2010, 10:14 PM
I was just chatting with a Dutch guy online and when I mentioned that TFC was trialing Iwan Redan he thought it hilarious and was surprised Redan was still playing professionally.

Then he suggested instead a team like TFC should look at former PSV, Ajax and Charlton Athletic winger Dennis Rommedahl (currently on loan at NEC Nijmegen) who's current deal with Ajax expires at the end of the season and thusly he'll be available on a free.

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Dennis Rommedahl, unlike Redan, would still have lots of options in Europe.

Whoop
04-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Umm... Rommedahl was on loan to NEC last season. He's with Ajax this year. Has scored some goals but is not on the first squad but like Ultra said he would still have options.

I wonder if anyone would go after a guy like Roy Makaay or Gerald Sibon?

Super Cereal
04-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Everything I read about Baptiste is extremely positive.

I like the way he's handling things too. Wanting to play for the National team, actively pursuing a change of scenery while still obligating his contract to Joe Public. I hope TFC signs him.

edmundo
04-08-2010, 01:32 AM
ok so as the original trini on this board im gonna chime in on baptiste, hes a good player but hes been very inconsistent, tons of potential but like i said, inconsistent, this has been his knock particularly with the national team, if it makes you guys feel any better colin samuel featured more in the last round of wcq for t&t, i really hope the guy comes and makes an impact cuz he is a two way player and is comfortable on the ball, he may fit into what we do so i say why the hell not

heres a clip of probably his best game playing for the national team scoring both 2 against mexico
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFX-Simce5E

and an interview with concacaf that will give u a sense of his personality
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkqPez0E16w