PDA

View Full Version : Captain?

tfc2007
04-06-2010, 12:19 PM
With the news (rumor) of Jimmy B moving to the FO, who becomes Captain?

IMO Dero is not suited be a captain, but i do not know who should get it.

Possibily JDG?

Parkdale
04-06-2010, 12:21 PM
people LOVE new threads.

Parkdale
04-06-2010, 12:21 PM
I think the 'post new thread' button should be our new captain. ;)

Nuvinho
04-06-2010, 12:23 PM
new threads always look good the first time you put them on...but after you look in the mirror...you think twice.

but this is thread that is needed.

DeRo or JDG.

co-captains?
switch at the half? every game?
haha!!

TFCUNITED
It's probably going to either be Dero or JDG.

tfc2007
people LOVE new threads.

Is this a legitimate topic?
I dont really understand your comment?

fetajr
04-06-2010, 12:24 PM
2 words....

NICK GARCIA

boomcha
04-06-2010, 12:26 PM
My vote is for DeRo!

Parkdale
04-06-2010, 12:28 PM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=21436

let's keep the talk in here until there more to it.

ecospice
04-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Frei.

tfc2007
04-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Sam Cronin would make a good captain eventually I think, but this year is to early for him.

menefreghista
04-06-2010, 12:39 PM
2 words....

NICK GARCIA

That would not surprise me actually. :facepalm:

Whoop
04-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Nana... but like Cronin, he's too young.

tfc2007
04-06-2010, 12:41 PM
He actually seemed today at practise to talk alot different players, and be a leader.
Sadly his play is sub par, and not that of a captain. A captain does not have to be the best player, but you cannot be the worst.

Roogsy
04-06-2010, 12:42 PM
At this point I am more concerned over whether we can field a competent XI on the pitch.

This team is almost laughable if it weren't so sad.

Anyways, at this point I have no idea who'd make a good captain. I am not sure we have the person in the locker-room to fill that void. What does that say about how this team was put together?

tfc2007
04-06-2010, 12:44 PM
Nana... but like Cronin, he's too young.

Nana I think actually might be more prepared for that position than Sam. That wouldnt be a bad choice.

Whoop
04-06-2010, 12:47 PM
At this point I am more concerned over whether we can field a competent XI on the pitch.

This team is almost laughable if it weren't so sad.

Anyways, at this point I have no idea who'd make a good captain. I am not sure we have the person in the locker-room to fill that void. What does that say about how this team was put together?

LOL

I agree with you there. :D

Wow... what a clusterfuck. And NE is what, 4 days away?

Pachuco
04-06-2010, 12:57 PM
JDG is in no way shape or form a captain. Unless he buys it with his DP status. I personally would make Dero captain and make Nana co-captain so he can get used to being the future captain of TFC.

Brooker
04-06-2010, 01:02 PM
JDG is in no way shape or form a captain. Unless he buys it with his DP status. I personally would make Dero captain and make Nana co-captain so he can get used to being the future captain of TFC.

QFT.

tfc2007
04-06-2010, 01:05 PM

Dero is too cocky as it is. This would go to his head and he would be even more full of himself.

Oblio2
04-06-2010, 01:07 PM
GARCIA!!!!!

"Do we have an "oh Fuck" button?)

tfcmanu
04-06-2010, 01:10 PM
DERO!

Redcoe15
04-06-2010, 01:14 PM
2 words....

NICK GARCIA
:mad: :mad5::hulk::banghead: :prrr:

and of course... :puke:

Belfast_Boy
04-06-2010, 01:24 PM
the only solution is to make them all Co-captains.

I love DeRo, I voted for him as our MVP last year. I wear his shirt too, but don't think he should be captain. his style of play doesn't go well with that job.

there isn't a real captain on the team. HOLY SHIT! WE'RE ENGLAND!

Oblio2
04-06-2010, 01:25 PM
TFC New Captain?

Bitchy the Hawk!!!!

tfc2007
04-06-2010, 01:27 PM
the only solution is to make them all Co-captains.

I love DeRo, I voted for him as our MVP last year. I wear his shirt too, but don't think he should be captain. his style of play doesn't go well with that job.

there isn't a real captain on the team. HOLY SHIT! WE'RE ENGLAND!

Yeah you sumed up Dero right there. But at the same time I dont want to be like the Leafs. We need a Captain. So if I had to pick 2 co captains, I would go with Croning and DeRo.

Whoop
04-06-2010, 01:29 PM
Co-captains? Is there such a thing in football?

I've never seen two guys on the same team each wear an armband.

Belfast_Boy
04-06-2010, 01:29 PM
TFC New Captain?

Bitchy the Hawk!!!!

could she be trained to shit on the ref?

tfc2007
04-06-2010, 01:30 PM

Robinson and Jimmy were for a bit, just only Jimmy wore the band.

I can not think of a better solution?

Belfast_Boy
04-06-2010, 01:42 PM

me neither Vic. I honestly don't know who should get the job. glad I don't have to pick.

the least worst best choice is DeRo.

tfc2007
04-06-2010, 02:20 PM
you really think dero would be a decent captain?

Oldtimer
04-06-2010, 02:25 PM
Nick Garcia?:hide:

tfc2007
04-06-2010, 02:27 PM
I honestly dont think Nick Garcia is a bad leader. He just doesnt have the skill to back it up.

canadian_bhoy
04-06-2010, 02:27 PM
My money is on Garcia. He's a vet and Mo/Preki love him.

[insert epic of all epic facepalms]

Whoop
04-06-2010, 02:28 PM
me neither Vic. I honestly don't know who should get the job. glad I don't have to pick.

the least worst best choice is DeRo.

LOL

That's the best way of putting it.

Belfast_Boy
04-06-2010, 02:31 PM
you really think dero would be a decent captain?

Compared to real captains? no, but there's no one else.

tfc2007
04-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Compared to real captains? no, but there's no one else.

Dichio?

Suit Up!

Eastend
04-06-2010, 02:42 PM
2 words....

NICK GARCIA

If I was a betting man I'd put $4 on this one for sure. :facepalm:

Raging Reggie
04-06-2010, 02:43 PM
people LOVE new threads.

yup, sorry but this calls for a:

MaBo5eHEkeY

grizzle
04-06-2010, 03:05 PM
I think Dero was playing the role of captain at several of the preseason games. Is he the best? Prob not, but given the other choices who else do we really have other than maybe Garcia (who most people want gone)? De Guzman doesn't really look like a captain to me and he has only been with the team for a short period of time. Given that I think it almost has to go to Dero.

ArmenJBX
04-06-2010, 03:10 PM
I think Dero was playing the role of captain at several of the preseason games. Is he the best? Prob not, but given the other choices who else do we really have other than maybe Garcia (who most people want gone)? De Guzman doesn't really look like a captain to me and he has only been with the team for a short period of time. Given that I think it almost has to go to Dero.

LaBrocca can do it, but he's new...

In 2 or 3 years LaBrocca can easily captain this side

OneLoveOneEric
04-06-2010, 03:13 PM
IMO this is the most overblown issue in football. I couldn't care less who is made captain. What does it really mean?

Roogsy
04-06-2010, 03:13 PM
LaBrocca can do it, but he's new...

In 2 or 3 years LaBrocca can easily captain this side

You say this beacuse....

he's that skilled a player? A scoring machine?

he was captain at Colorado at some point that none of us realize?

he's made the National team under an assumed name?

Roogsy
04-06-2010, 03:14 PM
IMO this is the most overblown issue in football. I couldn't care less who is made captain. What does it really mean?

A captain gives it's team their identity. I am suprised you don't know this. Anyone who has played organized sports at any high level would know this.

If a team struggles to identify with a captain, they are struggling to identify who they are as a team.

OneLoveOneEric
04-06-2010, 03:16 PM
I don't agree. I think the leaders on the team are the leaders on the team. Regardless of the arm band. I remember even Capello commenting on this when he first showed up in England. He was shocked at the interest in who was to be named captain. He said something like - in Italy, it's just the most senior player. End of story.

tfc2007
04-06-2010, 03:17 PM
A Captain is everything. Without it, you be come the Leafs. We need the captain as a face of the team.. the leader. Plus who will lift the MLS Cup up first when we win?

Roogsy
04-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Capello is an incredible coach, and an incredible tactician. But people skills are not his forte. The Captain is all about managing the personalities of the team. Capello has always struggled with that. Of course, everyone overlooks that because he is such a brilliant tactician. So I won't take his view of the need for a captain.

OneLoveOneEric
04-06-2010, 03:19 PM
BTW, my "end of story" was part of the paraphrase of Capello, not me being a prick :)
I dunno.... The big deal over captaincy is very hockey to me.

ArmenJBX
04-06-2010, 03:20 PM
You say this beacuse....

he's that skilled a player? A scoring machine?

he was captain at Colorado at some point that none of us realize?

he's made the National team under an assumed name?

He was a silent leader in Colorado and played every single game, the most minutes for any of the Colorado players. He was doing alright for himself, didn't piss people off and he's got a good head on his shoulders, plus he's hardworking and a good role model for younger players

OneLoveOneEric
04-06-2010, 03:20 PM
I agree Roogsy, but to me that also illustrates that issues like captaincy are secondary to tactics and personnel.

Belfast_Boy
04-06-2010, 03:23 PM
perhaps one of the back four.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/mike24k/bmo_field/P1100714.jpg

Roogsy
04-06-2010, 03:24 PM
I agree Roogsy, but to me that also illustrates that issues like captaincy are secondary to tactics and personnel.

I agree.

Roogsy
04-06-2010, 03:24 PM
He was a silent leader in Colorado and played every single game, the most minutes for any of the Colorado players. He was doing alright for himself, didn't piss people off and he's got a good head on his shoulders, plus he's hardworking and a good role model for younger players

None of this says "captain" to me. Sorry.

tfc2007
04-06-2010, 03:29 PM

Good mentor and good guy. not good captain.

ArmenJBX
04-06-2010, 03:36 PM
None of this says "captain" to me. Sorry.

Good mentor and good guy. not good captain.

Fair enough :)

Whoop
04-06-2010, 03:36 PM
It's definitely secondary to tactics and personnel.

But I agree with Roogsy that a captain gives a team an identity.

In TFC's case the fact that we can't name a definitive captain on this team goes to show that all is not well with the personnel side of things, which would mean that tactically TFC is not all there yet either.

Can captaincy/leadership be overblown? Sure.

But I'd worry more about the lack of leadership on this squad more than who is the captain.

Roogsy
04-06-2010, 03:37 PM
It's definitely secondary to tactics and personnel.

But I agree with Roogsy that a captain gives a team an identity.

In TFC's case the fact that we can't name a definitive captain on this team goes to show that all is not well with the personnel side of things, which would mean that tactically TFC is not all there yet either.

Can captaincy/leadership be overblown? Sure.

But I'd worry more about the lack of leadership on this squad more than who is the captain.

QFT...

tfc2007
04-06-2010, 03:48 PM
QFT...

What does that mean?

grizzle
04-06-2010, 03:52 PM
What does that mean?

Quoted for truth

Belfast_Boy
04-06-2010, 03:53 PM
I don't agree. I think the leaders on the team are the leaders on the team. Regardless of the arm band. I remember even Capello commenting on this when he first showed up in England. He was shocked at the interest in who was to be named captain. He said something like - in Italy, it's just the most senior player. End of story.

that's easy to say when you have guys like Maldini, Cannavaro and Zoff.

JuliquE
04-06-2010, 03:53 PM
As I've said in previous topics, I first voted for Jimmy to retain the armband before and JDG to take it whenever it was he'd retire.

I changed my mind, however; I look at DeRo and he surely has his faults, but I think that people often rise to the occasion when it may be least expected of them.. if only to make a statement against those of whom have written them off.

He's worn the band before and I feel like it would give him enough respect to cool his head (less "cocky" as some have put it); sort of like he doesn't have to PROVE he's the shit any more. He's also going to have to be more team oriented as opposed to roaming around as he does, so this might benefit him playing into Preki's system.

I think DeRo would make a great captain.. and this coming from someone who was absolutely against it, at first.

Tschuess.

J .
04-06-2010, 04:43 PM
Andy Welsh

tfc2007
04-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Really the first person i thought of was robbo.

zooko62000
04-06-2010, 04:56 PM
I seriously think that they should make Cronin our captain, he's the kind of player that just gets the job done, doesn't complain and will lead by example.

TFCtoMUFC
04-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Cronin or Attakora. Just for laughs I would LOVE for Garcia to be captain. It would sum up our whole existence.

Anyone but DeRo.

TFCtoMUFC
04-06-2010, 05:09 PM
I seriously think that they should make Cronin our captain, he's the kind of player that just gets the job done, doesn't complain and will lead by example.

+1, my personal favorite player and a complete player to boot. Doesn't talk much, doesn't complain just gets stuff done.

CretanBull
04-06-2010, 05:16 PM
^Older and more experienced guys aren't going to turn to a 2nd year player for leadership.

tfc2007
04-06-2010, 05:23 PM

Thats what i was thinking as well but i think hed be afraid to call out dero or deguz

GeorgeBest
04-06-2010, 05:35 PM
I agree that Cronin has good leadership skills and would make a good captain. I wonder where he fits into Preki's plans though. Preki signed Saric to play in Cronin's natural position and has favoured him over Cronin there. Preki has used Cronin as a wide player this year but I think Preki wants faster players out wide. So will Cronin even be a starter under Preki? The captain needs to be a starter in my opinion.

Razor
04-06-2010, 05:43 PM
I wouldn't give DeRo the captaincy, he already has a massive ego.

My pick would be Nana A.

TFCtoMUFC
04-06-2010, 05:46 PM
^Older and more experienced guys aren't going to turn to a 2nd year player for leadership.

Older and more experienced players will respect a level headed player that does his talking on the pitch. Lets be honest, DeRo and DeGuz won't let anyone tell them anything. I also wouldn't want DeRo or DeGuz being captain because newer, younger guys may find them unapproachable whereas Cronin seems to be a down to earth kinda dude.

CretanBull
04-06-2010, 05:51 PM
What makes you think that DeRo or JDG are unapproachable? What makes you think that a 2nd year player has the leadership and experience needed to be captain, who would turn to him when he hasn't been through anything?

TFCtoMUFC
04-06-2010, 05:55 PM
What makes you think that DeRo or JDG are unapproachable? What makes you think that a 2nd year player has the leadership and experience needed to be captain, who would turn to him when he hasn't been through anything?

DeRo and DeGuz never had to learn the ropes or start at the bottom with TFC, they both came here already on top. Cronin would be great for the younger players because he started at the bottom and has accomplished a good amount in his time here and has been a leader on the pitch. Isn't the point of a captain to help the new/young guys? DeRo and JDG strike me as very self-centered and egotistical kinda guys, not the type I would want leading a footy squad.

Blowing Bubbles
04-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Capello is an incredible coach, and an incredible tactician. But people skills are not his forte. The Captain is all about managing the personalities of the team. Capello has always struggled with that. Of course, everyone overlooks that because he is such a brilliant tactician. So I won't take his view of the need for a captain.

Why? His results speak for themselves. Having "the right captain" isn't a pre-requisite for success. In England anyway the whole talk about the captaincy is more because whoever is named has to go and play the role for the FA as a media salesman rather than its effect on the pitch.

Anyway I'd like to go with Cronin but I don't want this to be another "DeRo gonnna DeRo" and have to hear him complain about lack of respect if he's passed over.

This is starting to feel like a transition year ......

CretanBull
04-06-2010, 06:05 PM
What has Cronin accomplished?

Young players don't turn to each other for leadership, they appeal to people who have already gone through what they're going through - they try to learn from other people's successes and mistakes.

The captain's job is to lead the whole team, not just young players/new guys. Cronin hasn't done anything to earn the respect of the older players yet - he'd never be accepted as their leader.

DeRo is one of the best and most successfull players in the MLS. JDG was named team MVP while playing in one of the best leagues in the world. Both guys are vetrans of the CMNT. They're both older guys who have been through all kinds of highs and lows. Those are the guys that the other players are going to turn to when times are tough.

Cronin does seem level headed and he has shown that he's willing to speak out and has shown signs of being a leader but all of that is still early stages for him.

TERSIGNI
04-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Wow; take a look at MLS rumours. We supposedly have a trio of incomming players and more on the Jim Brennen situation...

djking2
04-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Dero for the simple reason that in that one game in Montreal last year he proved he could pick this team up and carry it

ensco
04-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Gargan. Just because I love his name.

Got a better reason?

"Release the Gargan! Release the Gargan! Release the Gargan!"

jabbronies
04-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Nick Garcia?:hide:
We have a winner

Baggio2TFC
04-06-2010, 06:49 PM
DeRo all the way!!! Only guys who give 110% evry fucking game....With out question our new leader....no afraid to say what is on his mind inside the locker room, on the field or to the media!!! DeRo!!!!!!

tfc2007
04-06-2010, 07:02 PM
What has Cronin accomplished?

Young players don't turn to each other for leadership, they appeal to people who have already gone through what they're going through - they try to learn from other people's successes and mistakes.

The captain's job is to lead the whole team, not just young players/new guys. Cronin hasn't done anything to earn the respect of the older players yet - he'd never be accepted as their leader.

DeRo is one of the best and most successfull players in the MLS. JDG was named team MVP while playing in one of the best leagues in the world. Both guys are vetrans of the CMNT. They're both older guys who have been through all kinds of highs and lows. Those are the guys that the other players are going to turn to when times are tough.

Cronin does seem level headed and he has shown that he's willing to speak out and has shown signs of being a leader but all of that is still early stages for him.

Captain doesnt have to be the most skilled player. No doubting that Dero and de Guz are the top skilled players on TFC, but not captain material.

Stryker
04-06-2010, 07:04 PM
My only problem with DeRo being a captain is that he can be abit of a hot-head.
But I like the fact that he'll call people out who are fucking up, be it a teammate or management.

tfc2007
04-06-2010, 07:16 PM
My only problem with DeRo being a captain is that he can be abit of a hot-head.
But I like the fact that he'll call people out who are fucking up, be it a teammate or management.

IMO his hot head ness trumps his ability to call people out. As a captain you have to do this in a certain way. I dont think he will do that. He calls them out in the heat of the moment.

ensco
04-06-2010, 07:36 PM
Poll idea....which is most likely?

A. Preki making DeRo his captain
B. Preki and DeRo getting into a fistfight
C. Both

TFCRegina
04-06-2010, 07:38 PM
I'm a firm believer in giving the captaincy to a defensive player.

I know he's young, but I'd give the armband to Attakora.

AL-MO
04-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Spin the bottle. That always makes for fun times. :D

Carts
04-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Mo and Preki will meet with the team, and say "...we've got a lad on this team with 10-years of experience in this league. He anchors our backline, and is a leader on this team... Please welcome, your captain and leader, NICK GARCIA..."

A bunch of say things like this as a joke, but honestly, if they weren't worried about our reaction and the media shitstorm, and the distraction we'd cause during games - it would probably happen!

Carts...

anto7
04-06-2010, 09:07 PM
After what has been going on of late I would not be at all surprised it they make Garcia the captain.

CretanBull
04-06-2010, 09:12 PM
Captain doesnt have to be the most skilled player.

I didn't say or even imply that.

No doubting that Dero and de Guz are the top skilled players on TFC, but not captain material.

Why?

TFCRegina
04-06-2010, 09:22 PM
Mo and Preki will meet with the team, and say "...we've got a lad on this team with 10-years of experience in this league. He anchors our backline, and is a leader on this team... Please welcome, your captain and leader, NICK GARCIA..."

A bunch of say things like this as a joke, but honestly, if they weren't worried about our reaction and the media shitstorm, and the distraction we'd cause during games - it would probably happen!

Carts...

He does anchor the backline doesn't he...he's a total drag on our defense.

K1nG
04-06-2010, 11:05 PM
Hey Parkdale, I dont you should criticize the creation of this thread. The Jimmy B to F.O thread should discuss the shock move and the potential reasons for it, hidden agendas, salary issues etc. The new captain discussion deserves its own thread.

As for the topic at hand. Tough to say, I agree with the overall sentiment that it should be either DeRo or JDG:

DeRo gave us grass. His comments in front of the camera criticizing MLSE for bringing in grass for the Real Madrid friendly but forcing them to play on turf was the "anvil" that broke the camels back. Unfortunately MLSE knows this and I wouldn't be surprised if Peddie walked into Mo's office like he did JFJ's and insisted he not pick DeRo for captain.

JDG, possibly the most important position on the field. The link between the back and front; and therefore an integral part of any coach's on field communication relay. Mourinho's Chelsea MVP was Makelele and then Essien. Perhaps JDG can be to Preki what they were to Mourinho. On the other hand, JDG probably doesn't truly want to be here, else he would have signed before it was to late to make a difference last year.

Decision decisions.

BS1327
04-06-2010, 11:14 PM
If it was Garcia, do you think there would be an increase in jearsey sales with his name on the back :p

maninb
04-07-2010, 08:02 AM
Definitely NOT DeRo after he threw his teammates under the bus last year in NYC...

Belfast_Boy
04-07-2010, 08:09 AM
Cronin or Attakora. Just for laughs I would LOVE for Garcia to be captain. It would sum up our whole existence.

Anyone but DeRo.

too young.

Belfast_Boy
04-07-2010, 08:36 AM
Older and more experienced players will respect a level headed player that does his talking on the pitch. Lets be honest, DeRo and DeGuz won't let anyone tell them anything. I also wouldn't want DeRo or DeGuz being captain because newer, younger guys may find them unapproachable whereas Cronin seems to be a down to earth kinda dude.

Do you think that they respected Jimmy B?
Cronin does seem down to earth and in time he might be ready. but he isn't now.

Steve
04-07-2010, 08:44 AM
Do you think that they respected Jimmy B?
Cronin does seem down to earth and in time he might be ready. but he isn't now.

I agree that Conin would be a poor choice. You can't give the captain title to what is, essentially, still a rookie. DeRo is way too hotheaded for it, he complains about his salary too much and I don't see him being a captain. DeGuzman is the only one I think I would choose. I agree with people that he seems too quite to take the roll, but as a defensive midfielder, our most experienced (internationally) player, and our highest paid player, I think he is the best choice. Players are more likely to respect what he's done therefor respect him, where players won't respect the younger kids.

Davenport
04-07-2010, 08:44 AM
It's sad when there's no-one on the team who stands out as captain material.
It really shows the lack of character on this team.

Belfast_Boy
04-07-2010, 08:54 AM

Carts...

yikes! but I think you're right.

drewski
04-07-2010, 09:03 AM
I don't believe youth is an anti-requisite to captaincy. some people are natural leaders who draw respect from the get go and can make good captains.

scooter
04-07-2010, 09:05 AM
nick garcia is the obvious choice
he has been groomed for the job and done interveiws preseason for the teams public relations

Shaughno
04-07-2010, 09:07 AM
I don't believe youth is an anti-requisite to captaincy. some people are natural leaders who draw respect from the get go and can make good captains.

This. I believe a natural leader is a natural leader, regardless of age. Didn't Cronin get the armband for one game last year? I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the running, and to be honest I'd rather have him as a captain, or co-captain than DeRo or DeGuz... personally.

drewski
04-07-2010, 09:11 AM
nick garcia is the obvious choice
he has been groomed for the job and done interveiws preseason for the teams public relations

DAMNIT!

I really hate that you make a great point as to who they'll probably make captain.

Steve
04-07-2010, 09:19 AM
This. I believe a natural leader is a natural leader, regardless of age. Didn't Cronin get the armband for one game last year? I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the running, and to be honest I'd rather have him as a captain, or co-captain than DeRo or DeGuz... personally.

The biggest problem I have with giving Cronin the armband is what that says to him. I mean, personally, though I think Cronin is good, he still had a lot of learning and developing to do. If he has the captains armband he may be too focused on leading to sit back and learn. Since he plays the same position (essentially) as DeGuzman, I want him to learn as much as he can from DeGuzman, and putting him in some kind of power position over DeGuz may hamper that.

jaahuuu
04-07-2010, 09:25 AM
Gala

Unless I missed something he's our longest tenured player.:facepalm:

Pearce321
04-07-2010, 10:04 AM
I would say Nick Garcia...but... for obvious reasons.... I wont :)

I think DeRo is a safe choice.

scots17
04-07-2010, 11:50 AM
well our Leafs don't have a captain, it's a new Toronto sports theme...since we are a Canadian team, let's slap an "A" on JDG, DeRo & Frei :facepalm:

TFC OZZ
04-07-2010, 12:14 PM
De Ro has functioned as the captain before for Houston, and if Dominic Kinnear has faith in his leadership abilities I will too.

Considering the options we have, I think De Ro is the best choice.

tfc2007
04-07-2010, 12:37 PM
"its up to preki"

Mo just said that in the conference.

Canadian Blue
04-07-2010, 02:57 PM
No one should be captain....they are all shite in their own way

DichioTFC
04-07-2010, 03:25 PM
the name that's been forgotten... CHAD "Fuckin" BARRETT!!!

who's harder working on the pitch than him? who gives makes more runs than him? who lives and dies with the squad (just watch him after he misses, its like something inside him has died).

sure his goalscoring is on par with a defender, but honestly, he is the epitome of what Preki's looking for and (minus the lack of results) what we're looking for.

CHAD "Fuckin" BARRETT for captain!!!

Section 117
04-07-2010, 03:27 PM
IMO it should be Dero he is the most vocal leader on the team as told to me by former players. I admit he does have his flaws, but so does everyone else playing in this league does.

he gets my vote

menefreghista
04-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Before Jim Brennan joined TFC I never thought of him as captain material either. People just got so used to him being our captain that they have learned to live with it and make it sound like he is the only guy on the team worthy.

I have no problem with either DeRo or De Guzman being captain. In fact, I would prefer De Guzman because I like the captain to be a player who is playing in the middle of the team. What better than a DM?

grizzle
04-07-2010, 03:59 PM

who's harder working on the pitch than him? who gives makes more runs than him? who lives and dies with the squad (just watch him after he misses, its like something inside him has died).

sure his goalscoring is on par with a defender, but honestly, he is the epitome of what Preki's looking for and (minus the lack of results) what we're looking for.

I think Barrett has too much of an attitude. Several times last year it got the best of him on the field and I definitely think that makes him "not captain material".

DichioTFC
04-07-2010, 04:10 PM
I think Barrett has too much of an attitude. Several times last year it got the best of him on the field and I definitely think that makes him "not captain material".

Valid, but I still think his name should be thrown into the ring because he has incredible work ethic. I don't think he'll realistically be captain, but he definitely embodies some qualities I would love to see in a captain.

tfc2007
04-07-2010, 04:20 PM
I really think this gives a youngster like Cronin or Nana a chance to step up. I think Garcia will be thrown around, but they know him and the fans do not sit well with eachother, ultimately scraping that idea.

Whoever the new captain is, will need to play with as much heart and determination as Jimmy. He wasnt the most skilled, but always was a role model because he never stoped, and would do anything for the team. Sad to see him step down.

hrvat87
04-07-2010, 11:01 PM
JDG will be the new TFC captain

KezmanCCCC
04-07-2010, 11:03 PM
I would imagine De Ro as the new captain with JDG as the vice-captain... thats what i would like to see anyways... De Ro has more experience in the leauge and i see him as more of a leader than JDG... anyways thats just my thought...

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Attakora, I know he's young but it's not unprecedented. Mamadou Sakho captained PSG at 17 years-old. Maybe have Attakora captain the team at home and a more senior player do it on the road?

jabbronies
04-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Dero is a hot head. He's not a captain imo

netsan
04-07-2010, 11:25 PM
Dero has played in MLS for the longest time. He has won the MLS cup before. He has the respect of the team. He is the best choice.

menefreghista
04-07-2010, 11:29 PM
DeRo isn't anymore of a hothead than Brennan is/was.

dupont
04-08-2010, 12:23 AM
Dero has played in MLS for the longest time. He has won the MLS cup before. He has the respect of the team. He is the best choice.

Yes, yes and yes! I agree on all points.

kaos197O
04-08-2010, 04:55 AM

He's also been with the club longer than anyone else on the team. A factor that some clubs consider in choosing their Captain. He is also very well spoken........don't be surprised!

JuliquE
04-08-2010, 10:25 AM
The perspective of Barrett as captain is an interesting one, but I, too, am all too concerned about his apparent attitude issues.

Perhaps my take on DeRo as captain would apply, seeing him rise to the occasion (more matured temperament).. and it might even provide him with a heightened sense of confidence, in front of goal.

jabbronies
04-08-2010, 10:40 AM
Give it to Cronin!!!! why the fuck not? Nothing else on this team seems to be making sense. I mean he was the first one to speak out last year, maybe he's one of them silent leaders, like an Yzerman.

menefreghista
04-08-2010, 10:52 AM
According to Luke Wileman, its De Rosario

http://twitter.com/LukeWileman/status/11829720048

Damien
04-08-2010, 10:53 AM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=21509

It's DeRo

tfc2007
04-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Dero is a hot head. He's not a captain imo

I agree with you 100%.

He should not be captain, but he is now and guess the only thing we can do is get behind him.