PDA

View Full Version : THE "Brennan to Become Assistant GM" Thread

Pages : [1] 2

drexel10
04-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Don't shoot me if I am wrong, but someone just told me that I heard it first and Brennan is stepping down/retiring to become assistan GM?

Gixmo
04-06-2010, 11:48 AM
lol.. Nothing against Jimmy B, but let's be honest here... How is he going to influence Mo? ..

.... Or did we just learn something valuable about the locker room?

drewski
04-06-2010, 11:49 AM
cause that's what we need less of, regardless of quality, defenders :facepalm:

mastermixer
04-06-2010, 11:50 AM
Ok, I think we need some more details...

Pigfynn
04-06-2010, 11:50 AM
no no no

tfc2007
04-06-2010, 11:51 AM
Don't shoot me if I am wrong, but someone just told me that I heard it first and Brennan is stepping down/retiring to become assistan GM?

I went to the practise today and he wasnt there.

canadian_bhoy
I've heard similar rumblings about a potential move. Not sure about asst GM, but some sort of move to team staff.

Parkdale
we don't have a 'GM'. We have a 'director of soccer'.

Lucky Strike
W...T...F.

Darlofletch
Ok, I think we need some more details...

Yeah, I'm usually quite happy to jump on any rumour without really demanding details, sources etc, but this one doesn't make sense in lots of ways.

Beach_Red
04-06-2010, 11:53 AM
cause that's what we need less of, regardless of quality, defenders :facepalm:

Wait till he and Tim Regan have to suit up half way through the season... That's why we have such a shallow bench, our reserves also work in the front office...

denime
04-06-2010, 11:54 AM
Let's hope next TFC news is going to be TFC "Designated Pylon" Garcia is retiring .

olegunnar
04-06-2010, 11:55 AM
Now?

I was under the impression it'd be later in the summer.
Mostly because he'd be reaching the age where he'd be too old to fly, I mean we'll need room for a summer signing

canadian_bhoy
04-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Now?

I was under the impression it'd be later in the summer.

I'm not sure about timelines. The rumours I heard were that it would be some point "this season".

Looks like the story is starting to break.

I don't really see this as a huge tradgedy to be honest.

Jimmy loves TFC and the city and has been a great captain for us. His form wasn't his best last season and perhaps its time for him to take on a different role with the club.

Keeping JB at TFC is great for us and if it gives us the opportunity to bring in some new blood, well that's great too.

Nodoubtguy
04-06-2010, 11:59 AM
as long as someone is in place to replace him on the pitch, I have no problems with this

Bluenose13
04-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Clears more cap space.......Could something big be about to happen?

torontocelt
04-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Although I dont think he is great by any means he is still a good squad player for TFC. If he us not playing at all then it would be a big loss for a small squad, it would be yet another questionable move by management.

Auzzy
04-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Jimmy made about $190k last year. It _should_ be possible to sign a decent defender for that amount (or less, if they need cap space for other moves).

Oblio2
04-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Oh shit...here we go....

flatpicker
04-06-2010, 12:05 PM
Damn all this speculation and rumour!

I want this team sorted out!
I want the pieces in place!

I can't stand all the maybe's, perhaps', and wait and see.

I need clarity!

CretanBull
04-06-2010, 12:05 PM
^It seems like this is how Mo finds cap space - push guys into retirement but give them jobs in the organization. I think Nick Garcia would make a fantastic..hmmm...assistant to the regional manager.

Whoop
04-06-2010, 12:06 PM

I need clarity!

LOL... this is how they hook you in.

Keep you wanting more, feeding you a little tidbit at a time...

They're good.

Brooker
04-06-2010, 12:06 PM

I need clarity!

why on earth are you in this section of the board then? it's 85% speculation and rumors. :D

Snoop
04-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Man, even though this will open up roster and cap space, it is sad that the first player signed by our club will no longer be lacing up the cleets. He has been a model player on and off the pitch and has done us all proud. Our Jimmy B scarf is still a classic. I will accept this news with a heavy heart and only if we get a solid player in his place.

There's only one Jimmy Brennan!
:scarf:

Nodoubtguy
04-06-2010, 12:07 PM
^It seems like this is how Mo finds cap space - push guys into retirement but give them jobs in the organization. I think Nick Garcia would make a fantastic..hmmm...assistant regional manager.

fixed

flatpicker
04-06-2010, 12:08 PM
why on earth are you in this section of the board then? it's 85% speculation and rumors. :D

Silly me for expecting anything different from the NEWS forum!

:D

Section 117
04-06-2010, 12:08 PM
From my understanding this was suppose to happen in late June right before the contracts became gaurenteed. Now that they changed the rules with the new CBA I guess it just sped up the process.

Now there is just more usless defender we need to get rid of...

Pigfynn
04-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Why would they ever do this now? How fucked up of a team dynamic are we shooting for here? Like seriously???!!? Are we trying to set some kind of dysfunctional record ?

olegunnar
I think Nick Garcia would make a fantastic..hmmm...ticket scanner.

I like my version

Nodoubtguy
Memories.....

mogjOnhMLC0

Phil
I am going to move this to the regular forum as I see no news, just speculation.

sarsippius
04-06-2010, 12:11 PM
This is being confirmed all over the place on Twitter - 24thminute, RJ and a whole bunch more.

brad
04-06-2010, 12:12 PM
KristianJack (http://twitter.com/KristianJack)
#tfc (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23tfc) breaking news - Jim Brennan to step down as a player and become assistant GM of the club. Will continue to update you with more.....

Sound's like someone is getting Dichio'd.

Beach_Red
04-06-2010, 12:13 PM
^It seems like this is how Mo finds cap space - push guys into retirement but give them jobs in the organization. I think Nick Garcia would make a fantastic..hmmm...assistant to the regional manager.

It also tells us that the organization has been too small -- all these positions that haven't been filled until now.

I like the idea of filling the FO with retired players like Dichio and Brennan, but why are these positions only being filled in season four? How cheaply has this team been run up until now? There's no salary cap on FO positions, and yet this team seems to have been as short there as they are with roster spots.

No wonder this is one of the few profitable teams in the league.

brad
If this is true, who becomes the Captain?

My guess is JDG or DeRo.

Pigfynn
Holy fuck!....that is all

Red4ever
Yeah I'm hearing from a very reliable source that this is legit. The proverbial cat is out of bag.

Nodoubtguy
I am going to move this to the regular forum as I see no news, just speculation.

Quick...move it back!!!

Waggy
04-06-2010, 12:14 PM
In the offseason I was praying for this to happen, but I thought Jimmy looked great against Columbus. So now I'm mixed on the whole thing. IF, if, this signifies some serious action is about to happen involving really REALLY good players coming in, then I'm all for it. If not, well you know my feelings on Mo.

Jimmy, thanks for everything. I mean everything. You won't ever be forgotten.

Section 117
04-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Sound's like someone is getting Dichio'd.

Not really Dichio got screwed, they are just giving Jimmy this position. There is a big difference IMO. This is a long rumored move it has been sped up due to th new CBA rules regarding guarenteed contracts

ManUtd4ever
04-06-2010, 12:15 PM
LOL! There is never a dull moment around here, that's for sure. I actually think it would be a classy move by the organization. I love Jimmy B and I thought he was solid against Columbus but his salary is excessive for what he brings to the table at his age. If this is true, something has to be in the works...

daner90
04-06-2010, 12:16 PM
I agree, I though Brennan looked solida against the KKKrew.
Well this is an interesting development...

zeelaw
04-06-2010, 12:18 PM
I miss Todd Dunivant man....

olegunnar
^It seems like this is how Mo finds cap space - push guys into retirement but give them jobs in the organization.

It's the carrot he uses to get them off of their guarenteed deals.

Kind of...
You agree to stop playing and I'll get you a regular paycheque in the FO. You can stay in the city and stay connected with soccer.
OR
You can keep playing, but at the end of the year when your deal is up....can't really promise we'll offer you anything really competitive.

I bet Jimmy B is the last to get this deal...everyone else from now on in the Mo regime will get the Robbo/Gerba treatment when we need their cap space.

Nuvinho
there you go.....your capologist.

sarsippius
04-06-2010, 12:19 PM
In the offseason I was praying for this to happen, but I thought Jimmy looked great against Columbus. So now I'm mixed on the whole thing. IF, if, this signifies some serious action is about to happen involving really REALLY good players coming in, then I'm all for it. If not, well you know my feelings on Mo.

Jimmy, thanks for everything. I mean everything. You won't ever be forgotten.

Agree with your sentiment here. Jimmy has been a champion for this club. doubt he'll be forgotten, though - especially if he is going to be the Assistant GM. My only hope is that the organization shows some class this time around and provides a proper "thank you".

Bloor West FC
04-06-2010, 12:20 PM

I hope so. Although I would be happy with a win right now.

drexel10
04-06-2010, 12:20 PM

Kind of...
You agree to stop playing and I'll get you a regular paycheque in the FO. You can stay in the city and stay connected with soccer.
OR
You can keep playing, but at the end of the year when your deal is up....can't really promise we'll offer you anything really competitive.

I bet Jimmy B is the last to get this deal...everyone else from now on in the Mo regime will get the Robbo/Gerba treatment when we need their cap space.

Agreed and I think the days of paying Canadian talent to come back are over. I am guessing that we will be singing younger, cheaper Canadians, hoping that they will develop like Gala and Nana.

TFCUNITED
04-06-2010, 12:21 PM
LOL! There is never a dull moment around here, that's for sure. I actually think it would be a classy move by the organization. I love Jimmy B and I thought he was solid against Columbus but his salary is excessive for what he brings to the table at his age. If this is true, something has to be in the works...

That's so true.

Lucky Strike
04-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Questions to consider:

1. Does Jimmy B have any qualifications to actually do managerial stuff?
2. We only really had one left back as it is (not sure if Gala can play the position), you'd want at least 2 players to be able to cover the position. I should hope 2 players can be signed as a result of this move if it comes to pass.

torontocelt
04-06-2010, 12:23 PM
If Jimmy wanted to continue playing and it was his salary that was the problem then could he not consider a pay cut? He isn't that old at 32 and does not seem to be injury prone, if he is considering retirement then he must just not want to play anymore rather than not being physically able to cope with the physical demands. That for me would be a surprise as most footballers try to go as far as they can if their body allows it. Obviously it is different for the Zidane's and Cantona's of this world.

heather
04-06-2010, 12:23 PM
:( sad news!

Parkdale
04-06-2010, 12:26 PM
(http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=21439)

Pigfynn
04-06-2010, 12:28 PM
I think Mo has been put under serious pressure to get this roster much stronger in this our "cup" year.

cochrdoc
04-06-2010, 12:29 PM
With Gerba and Brennan gone we should have some cap space to bring in some players to improve this roster.Still surprized that we signed a third keeper and midfielder when we need defenders and a striker.Now what do we have to do to get Garcia to retire.

Niall
Hey Jiiiiiiiiiimmy Brennan!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe4s49zjG10

Waggy
KJ reporting its to make room for Dickov. Not good enough in my books. We need to do better http://blogs.thescore.com/footyblog/

BS1327
Maybe this has been planned for a while. Quite personnally, I don't think Jimmy would have wanted to retire after the Red Bulls horror show last season. Maybe he felt he could come to preseason, give it a go, then see from there. At least a 2-0 loss to the Yellows is a more respectable final game.

Hustle
Does Jimmy have the wherewithal to take on this position? Can we have a testimonial match for Jimmy and Dichio? Flip the thank you banner over boys.

Nuvinho
question: has MLS removed the # of canadians we need on our team or something? am I missing something?

Beach_Red

Kind of...
OR

They're both First Wave, this has nothing to do with Mo....

Whoop
04-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Oh no, all our Canadians are getting cut!

menefreghista
04-06-2010, 12:32 PM
First of all, I just want to say thank you Jimmy!

question: has MLS removed the # of canadians we need on our team or something? am I missing something?

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm quite sure we only have room at this point to sign Canadians.

Maybe Cann? Can't think of anyone else out there.

Waggy
04-06-2010, 12:33 PM
On who the new captain should be, I have a different idea than most: how about Cronin? Hes young, hopefully he'll be here for a while. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders, doesn't run from responsibility (see Red Bulls game last year). I dunno how he is in the locker room obviously, but I'd rather him be captain for years than Dero get the arm band for 2 years before hes on his way out somewhere.

SteeltownBhoy
04-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Clearly Mo is clearing cap space. I think ,something big is about to happen. Jimmy did say on 'It's Called Football" he would be retiring after this year and wished to stay with the organization.

Greg
04-06-2010, 12:35 PM
This is really strange given his very recent interview on It's Called Football. There he certainly didn't sound like he was going to retire.

He did say that he thought this season would be his last but that he had a lot to accomplish in making it to the playoffs.

Why couldn't this be decided before the season? What's the point of going through the pre-season with him on the roster only to dump him after one game?

So much for team cohesion.

Nuvinho
04-06-2010, 12:36 PM
So Gerba + Brennan = Joseph + Dickov

wtf!!

DangerRed
04-06-2010, 12:37 PM
If this is all being done so Dickov can join us, prepare for TFC to shit the bed. Hard.

Also, Saturday is like right there, who the fuck are we going to start?

Waggy
04-06-2010, 12:37 PM
So Gerba + Brennan = Joseph + Dickov

wtf!!

Plus the cap space to sign at least 1 DP (hopefully)

Nuvinho
04-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Dickov isn't coming til late May early June.....does Mo know we have games before then?

mastermixer
04-06-2010, 12:39 PM
If Dickov is coming in June then wtf are we going to do until then??? April and May have the most games in the schedule and we decide to get rid of more players?

Roogsy
lol.. Nothing against Jimmy B, but let's be honest here... How is he going to influence Mo? ..

.... Or did we just learn something valuable about the locker room?

This is my guess right here.

Whatever the locker-room dynamics, this is a short-sighted move by Jimmy B. Hopefully by the end of the year, Mo is gone. Where will that leave him?

Whoop
As I was going to post, I have no idea who is going to be captain as there is no one on this squad who embodies the qualities I would want in a captain.

I like Cronin, but he's too young and inexperienced. DeRo has a take charge personality but also has a selfish streak. DeGuzman seems to be too quiet.

I would select Nana, but like Cronin, he's too young.

It would likely be DeRo by default.

DangerRed
Breaking: DeRo to take Paul Beirne's job, Paul Beirne to start at CB on Saturday, Nick Garcia playing striker. Sigh.

Whoop
This is one big clusterfuck though.

menefreghista
04-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Dickov isn't coming til late May early June.....does Mo know we have games before then?

Wouldn't we have to wait for the international transfer window? Meaning early July?

reggie
04-06-2010, 12:41 PM
Dickov stinks...a small old striker that cant score...fuck off mo yr a clown,let jimmy take over...

SteeltownBhoy
04-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Mo is clearing salary like a drunken sailor spends on payday, I think there is something more immediate about to happen. Watch to see if Dero is made a DP to clear another 80k. This has more to do then just Dickov.

Don Julio
I have to think there are some major roster moves around the corner. More than just Dickov. Mo's fault for no being prepared, or not, he's been thrown a lot of curve balls this spring.. New Guaranteed salary rules, new DP rules, Gerba not making Preki's team. It's no surprise he's reeling a bit, and playing catch up.

Nuvinho
Wouldn't we have to wait for the international transfer window? Meaning early July?

he is a free agent by then, kinda like how Danny Dichio came over before the window was open.

CretanBull
04-06-2010, 12:43 PM
fixed

I'm glad someone got it :thumbsup:

drexel10
04-06-2010, 12:43 PM
I have to think there are some major roster moves around the corner. More than just Dickov. Mo's fault for no being prepared, or not, he's been thrown a lot of curve balls this spring.. New Guaranteed salary rules, new DP rules, Gerba not making Preki's team. It's no surprise he's reeling a bit, and playing catch up.

I heard they are signing "Eastern Europeans", this could be some of the guys in camp now??

menefreghista
04-06-2010, 12:44 PM
he is a free agent by then, kinda like how Danny Dichio came over before the window was open.

Hmm. Didn't Beckham have to wait? He was also a free agent.

Parkdale
04-06-2010, 12:46 PM
you know who I miss?

http://torontofcfans.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/adrian_serioux.jpg

Yeah, I said it.

hell....

http://www.torontofcfans.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/marco_velez.jpg

^ Bring back Velez too while we're at it.

Waggy
04-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Hmm. Didn't Beckham have to wait? He was also a free agent.

Transfer window is only for transfers. Out of contract guys can sign anytime (like how we just signed Joseph). MLS won't pay a big transfer fee, any serious player from another league will only come in the form of an out of contract signing. Which is why I'd LOVE it if ANYONE here knew ANY site that had a relatively up to date list of expiring contracts.

Roogsy
04-06-2010, 12:47 PM
We'd better be getting Del Piero or Cannavaro or something like that because right now, this crap is becoming laughable.

UltraFootyKWC
04-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Mo is clearing salary like a drunken sailor spends on payday, I think there is something more immediate about to happen. Watch to see if Dero is made a DP to clear another 80k. This has more to do then just Dickov.

I think you're on to something here. This seems bigger than just Dickov.

mastermixer
I hope Mo knows what he is doing. It just seems like lots of desparation moves from a man who knows his job is done by the end of the year so he's got nothing lose. He's blowing up this team in the process and leaving the next guy with rubble.

Mango Kid
Assistant GM? How do you assist one who does nothing?

Viruk42
04-06-2010, 12:51 PM
First of all, I just want to say thank you Jimmy!

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm quite sure we only have room at this point to sign Canadians.

Maybe Cann? Can't think of anyone else out there.

According to Duane Rollins, we've got 7 American/International slots left, plus 2 Canadian (3 if Brennan is officially done).

http://www.24thminute.com/2010/04/tfc-roster-breakdown.html

Apparently we're using 7 Americans and 5 Internationals, but the cap is 8+8. Plus there's 3 that we traded for (I would guess those can be used on any nationality, since we got them from US teams. Once Vancouver/Montreal join, in theory it'd be possible to trade US slots as well as International slots).

Velvet Elvis
04-06-2010, 12:51 PM

Jimmy will type up the pink slips ... "sorry mate, we had to cut you for cap space"

dupont
04-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Please don't just be for Dickov.... please...

Waggy
04-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Jimmy will type up the pink slips ... "sorry mate, we had to cut you for cap space"

No, he'll be making runs to the LCBO for Mo now. It's better for all of us, one less drunk driver on the road!

manic.street.preacher
04-06-2010, 12:53 PM
i'm actually in a state of shock, wtf is going on with this team ... this Brennan business is breaking all over twitter, has it been reported elsewhere?

djcuse
04-06-2010, 12:55 PM

It's clearing the way for Lebron James to sign this summer, or maybe
Chris Bosh would take up the challenge upfront... TFC's version of Peter Crouch!!

icecoldbeer
What. The. Fuck.

Mango Kid
I knew that perpetually broken hand last year (or at least bandaged) would shorten Brennan's career. HA!

Pachuco
04-06-2010, 12:56 PM
oh lord, I don't know what else to say that hasn't been said. This is all very fucked up. This team is a disaster. MO you're a fucking disaster. Get the F*ck out of Canada. Actually, no, go to Vancouver please.

mastermixer
04-06-2010, 12:56 PM
But seriously... who is our starting back line now? wtf.

Nuvinho
04-06-2010, 12:57 PM
But seriously... who is our starting back line now? wtf.

Garcia.....that's all we need.......1-8-1.

I think those RBs and LBs on trial will definately be signed now.

Oblio2
04-06-2010, 12:57 PM
WICKED
We lose another outfield player...I REALLY hope MO has something up his sleave. This squad is woefully thin.

reggie
04-06-2010, 12:59 PM
maybe jimmy will at least talk to the media and the fans...unlike that coward mo.

Parkdale
04-06-2010, 01:00 PM
...I REALLY hope MO has something up his sleave.

it makes me think he does.

It just wouldn't make any sense to work us into this spot without something else coming up.

Nuvinho
04-06-2010, 01:00 PM

It just wouldn't make any sense to work us into this spot without something else coming up.

I just hope we don't have to wait til late May or June for it.

Oblio2
04-06-2010, 01:01 PM
If this is really happening, Mo is really bending us over and giving us a poke with the bagpipes.

Are we a fucking expansion team still?
Fuck me...this is a joke.

I am so sad for this team. We are surely the laughing stock of the league.
For what it's worth, if a player retires (or is pushed) -thats fine...but get a GODDAMN replacement!!!!!!

Pachuco
04-06-2010, 01:02 PM

Nothing he hasn't done before. Member when he traded Marshall expecting to inc some Polish dude who then backed out? Well yeah, we still haven't replaced Marshall.

Mango Kid
04-06-2010, 01:03 PM
WICKED
We lose another outfield player...I REALLY hope MO has something up his sleave. This squad is woefully thin.

At least Mo didn't wait until a couple days before the second game. Oh...wait...

(we need a "blowing brains out" avatar)

wzhxvy
Just stupid....

Gixmo
We'd better be getting Del Piero or Cannavaro or something like that because right now, this crap is becoming laughable.

Both are plausible, as is Matterazi.. However I do not see these moves being made to free up cap space for a DP - I could, and I hope, be wrong but this just does not make sense at all.

I cannot find justification behind this - Sitting Jimmy down for 2 months to bring him a striker (Potentially) who's ability is questionable does not sit well with me. This NCC is over by early June, and the season could be well rooted by then.

Something stinks here, and it's no Mo's cologne. Prove us wrong, please..

Oblio2
04-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Question:
If a GM does fuck all, what does an Assisstant GM do?

Maybe Jimmy will get to go on junkets to Brazil :)

Parkdale
04-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Both are plausible, as is Matterazi...

naw, he's driving across the USA during the WC in a motorhome

Bluenose13
04-06-2010, 01:07 PM
There is no doubt that all this wheeling & dealing has an end result coming.

Step away from the cliff.

Exciting times ahead :D

Section 117
04-06-2010, 01:08 PM
I personally think he will be more of a figure head then anything else. WTF does he know about the rules regarding the MLS and all the fun shit we all can't figure...

Something just came to me who is Jimmy's agent again??? Cause if it is who I think it is I am going to absolutley loose it

Nuvinho
There is no doubt that all this wheeling & dealing has an end result coming.

Step away from the cliff.

Exciting times ahead :D

hmmm.....do you know something that we don't?

ua-kozak_TFC
WICKED
OK i am kinda fed up with the Mos got something up his sleeves...
The only thing that mo has up his sleeves is a mickey...:drinking:
It's just appauling how an someone like him could have been allowed to control TFC for these years... disgusting...

tfcmanu
I'm hoping all this makes sence, or there will be an uprising at BMO if we don't at least make it into the post season.:facepalm:

billyfly
04-06-2010, 01:09 PM
These are the days of our lives....

mastermixer
04-06-2010, 01:10 PM

Exactly, if there was no replacement immediately then why retire today? Wait till June when the replacment is available.

Krasno.pL.
I personally think he will be more of a figure head then anything else. WTF does he know about the rules regarding the MLS and all the fun shit we all can't figure...

Something just came to me who is Jimmy's agent again??? Cause if it is who I think it is I am going to absolutley loose it

You Know It :D
Good Old Barry MaClean and his FirstWave

Oblio2
I think we should sign....ANDY WELSH

Redcoe15
04-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Another day, another stand up guy removed from the playing roster. FUUUUUUUCK!!!!! :facepalm:

With our luck, Garcia will end up as the next captain of the team. :prrr:

Gixmo
04-06-2010, 01:14 PM
naw, he's driving across the USA during the WC in a motorhome

... I thought you were joking.. but alas you are not..

Matterazi - strike out

Batman
04-06-2010, 01:15 PM
Sorry to be the odd man out in this whinefest.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this move.

Jimmy has expressed interest in moving upstairs or into another position.

He's been a loyal soldier to TFC throughout his time here.

He is a well spoken guy, who can handle media very well.

He knows his soccer, having played at mutliple levels.

He knows MLS having been in it for excess of 3 years.

I assume the above 3 points will make him a valuable part of the management of the club both in assessing talent as well as aiding in communication with both players, media, and fans.

I for one, hope it's true. Mo definitely needs all the help he can get.

Oblio2
04-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Batman. I have NO problem with Jimmy stepping down (or being pushed) but we need replacements.

tfcmanu
04-06-2010, 01:17 PM
COLLIN SAMUELS?...30 MINUTES OR FREE! (pizza pizza):drinking:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collin_Samuel

sulfur
04-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Welsh is tied up with his contract at Yeovil Town, playing against Paul Dickov in League 1. :)

jabbronies
04-06-2010, 01:22 PM

If one starts doing something, you tell him to stop.

Don Julio
04-06-2010, 01:23 PM
I know it's fun for us all, but one of the major challenges TFC faces is the ridiculous amount of press leaks coming from the club. For all we know there is a replacement, or will be by Thursday when they were planning on announcing it.

I don't think it's fair to freak out about the lack of replacements until we actually get an announcement from the club.

Dudebroguy
04-06-2010, 01:23 PM
So it's official. We have no players left from game/year 1.

Velvet Elvis
04-06-2010, 01:24 PM
I know it's fun for us all, but one of the major challenges TFC faces is the ridiculous amount of press leaks coming from the club. For all we know there is a replacement, or will be by Thursday when they were planning on announcing it.

I don't think it's fair to freak out about the lack of replacements until we actually get an announcement from the club.

But ... it's the internet. That's what it's for, right ???

:D

Oldtimer
04-06-2010, 01:24 PM
At least Mo didn't wait until a couple days before the second game. Oh...wait...

(we need a "blowing brains out" avatar)

This works just as well: :facepalm:

Of course, for Mo, we need something more: :picard:

GhostKiller
04-06-2010, 01:25 PM
I've heard this story before. Mo does some insanely stupid shit that pisses the world off. We call for him to be pubically executed, then out of no where Mo surfaces with some miracle signings that shuts us all up and Mos looks good somehow. Fast forward and the signings end up being shit.

Waggy
04-06-2010, 01:28 PM

Uh, I dunno if you remember year 1 but that isn't necessarily a bad thing at all.

Velvet Elvis
04-06-2010, 01:29 PM
Remember the good old days ... when all we had to worry about was a possible players strike ???

LOL

Lucky Strike
04-06-2010, 01:31 PM

It actually kind of a hurts a little.

There has to be replacements coming. Like someone said, to sit the captain at left back for a mediocre striker arriving two months later just makes no sense. I think we just have too little information at the moment to make an educated guess as to what will happen.

But due to the Marshall situation in the past (he was traded before the replacement was signed and he backed out) I don't think it's unreasonable to see people freak out a little.

I'm thinking (and like everyone I have too few pieces of the puzzle) that Brennan and Dickov are actually unrelated situations. Dickov was going to be signed by Mo regardless of what happened with Jimmy B. Rather, I believe that Brennan re-signed as a kind of "well, could you do us a solid and stay on a little longer because we have no one to replace you?" kind of move. And now that we have a truckload of trialists, most of whom are defenders, it's not unreasonable to think that replacements for Jimmy B have now been found and cap space needs to be cleared before the signings are announced.

Dudebroguy
04-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Uh, I dunno if you remember year 1 but that isn't necessarily a bad thing at all.

Agreed, just sayin'.

TorCanSoc
04-06-2010, 01:32 PM
Elvis: lol !

Nuvinho
04-06-2010, 01:33 PM
the Latvian LB is on trial, maybe they are getting his paperwork ready before announcing him.

As well there is also a Russian RB on trial.

olegunnar
04-06-2010, 01:34 PM

Kind of off topic....but I miss year one.
May and June were outstanding...and that is also before we knew that All for one was a sham.

We had The Chicago Game, Dichio's goal, Goldwaithe and Edu sealing it.
We had the game in the rain where we beat Houston on Welsh's goal
We had the 4-0 Fathers day masacre of Dallas and Dichio scoring during the dichio chant
We beat Colorado 2-1 with Wynne nutmeging a Crapids defender to set up Dichio.
We had Jimmy's wonder strike against the KKKrew

We're in year 4...and it's never been any better than that. Never.

ua-kozak_TFC
04-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Sorry to be the odd man out in this whinefest.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this move.

Jimmy has expressed interest in moving upstairs or into another position.

He's been a loyal soldier to TFC throughout his time here.

He is a well spoken guy, who can handle media very well.

He knows his soccer, having played at mutliple levels.

He knows MLS having been in it for excess of 3 years.

I assume the above 3 points will make him a valuable part of the management of the club both in assessing talent as well as aiding in communication with both players, media, and fans.

I for one, hope it's true. Mo definitely needs all the help he can get.
I think you are missing the point... if thi was in october/november of last year or 2010. Then i would be sure he definetly won;t get better as a player. Also gives you all winter to restructure and bring someone in his place. THE SEASON HAS STARTER!!! This is what makes the difference.
Mo looks like an incompetent, procratinating alcoholic with ADD. Can;t hold his idea straight DO you realize that with Jimmy B leaving ALL of MO's GREAT CORE (for 5 year plan) is gone. there will be no playersfrom inagural season. Which further shows that MO has no clue WTF he is doing... he just makes changes to make it seems like he is doing something... And greasing the fans butt. MAny of us who said this from season ONE were caller irrational pessimist, unable to look at the bright side...
WHat is the bright side NOW? IF any of you are really thinking that TFC has a REAL chances of making the play offs this season. You are living a dream, As much as I would like it to happen. There is no way it will.

DO you ANY of you realize that at the moment we are in a worse shape than Philadelphia... they may not have DP... but atleast they have something that resembles a cohesive team... SOmething that we;ve never had...

Chevy
04-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Questions to consider:

1. Does Jimmy B have any qualifications to actually do managerial stuff?
2. We only really had one left back as it is (not sure if Gala can play the position), you'd want at least 2 players to be able to cover the position. I should hope 2 players can be signed as a result of this move if it comes to pass.

My thoughts exactly. Love the guy but he seems a little tempermental to succeed in a management role.

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-06-2010, 01:37 PM
I like this idea, maybe they'll use him to bring some more Canadians to the team / do some scouting within the country. This won't go over big, but I'm not a huge fan of stocking the team with players with a background NCAA college soccer. Sure there's a few good players there (your first round types), but on the whole they bring down the level of play.

Mango Kid
04-06-2010, 01:38 PM
I've heard this story before. Mo does some insanely stupid shit that pisses the world off. We call for him to be pubically executed, then out of no where Mo surfaces with some miracle signings that shuts us all up and Mos looks good somehow. Fast forward and the signings end up being shit.

You forgot...

Lovingly yours,
Laurent Robert et al

Damien
04-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Maybe Jimmy will call Mo a "fucking cunt" as his first move as AGM.

On a brighter note, we have a Canadian calling some shots now and spitballing Canadian ideas for our club.

Yeh it sucks we're short a player but Mo's gotta have something up his sleeve, otherwise he's fired by mid-summer anyway.:D

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-06-2010, 01:42 PM
KJ reporting its to make room for Dickov. Not good enough in my books. We need to do better http://blogs.thescore.com/footyblog/

Like the Dickov move or not, how does anyone with this team think we can wait until May or early June for a striker? It's insane.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-06-2010, 01:43 PM
wow people are taking this harshly.
im on the mo must go boat too but this is ridiculous, he was going to retire after this year (some say in June), we know hes not what he used to be and we've seen it from game to game, theres two trialists one of which is a natural LB who are supposed to sign, hes still staying with the team just in a different section AND they are freeing up almost 200k in salary. Cmon guys, i love Jimmy too but this si ridiculous, i dont see him to be the type to be pushed out or pushed around

Batman
04-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Batman. I have NO problem with Jimmy stepping down (or being pushed) but we need replacements.

I understand and fully agree with you on that one.

I assume (a big assumption, I admit) that replacements are on the way, and the added cap space only goes to help.

I hate to say in Mo, I trust, based upon history, but on this one I assume we'll have a few more players in a matter of days.

deltox
04-06-2010, 01:44 PM
it cant be just the Dickov thing. makes no sense to leave now if dickov and his wheelchair arnt coming until june

flatpicker
04-06-2010, 01:45 PM
I'm gonna take a nap.
Wake me up in a few months when we have a team.

Krasno.pL.
Fan just reported he's Joining The "Coaching Staff" now .. lol

rocker
I think you are missing the point... if thi was in october/november of last year or 2010.

You can't make every decision in October/November and close up shop for the next year.

You have playoffs until November 25 or so.. then you have expansion drafts, college drafts.. then training camp doesn't start until February.

Then the league didn't have a new CBA until two days before the season started.

This deal happened now because it had to happen now.

KdotOdot
04-06-2010, 01:46 PM
Brennen GM eh? fuck! I'm all for it. Whatever gets him off that feild!

Mango Kid
04-06-2010, 01:46 PM
I get ua-kozak's point...there is just too much of a flying-by-the-seat-of-our-pants thing going on here, far too often.

Oblio2
04-06-2010, 01:47 PM
it cant be just the Dickov thing. makes no sense to leave now if dickov and his wheelchair arnt coming until june

I actually like Dickov.
I think he'll be a breath of fresh air but when he sees he's got fuck all to work with, we'll have to replace him to, after he leaves.

Dirk Diggler
Lets be real ... players like Cannavaro and Del Piero are not coming here. Also, it remains to be seen whether MLSE is willing to fund another DP signing (significantly more expensive than Julian). Sometimes shit just happens ... there is no silver lining or lessons to be learned. Unfortunately for us, the signing of Mo as our GM is an example of that.

Phil

my god, its been less than an hour.

Believe it or not paperwork takes time especially in this league. :D

Ossington Mental Youth
04-06-2010, 01:48 PM
I get ua-kozak's point...there is just too much of a flying-by-the-seat-of-our-pants thing going on here, far too often.

best thing ive read in a bit

Bluenose13
04-06-2010, 01:50 PM
wow people are taking this harshly.
im on the mo must go boat too but this is ridiculous, he was going to retire after this year (some say in June), we know hes not what he used to be and we've seen it from game to game, theres two trialists one of which is a natural LB who are supposed to sign, hes still staying with the team just in a different section AND they are freeing up almost 200k in salary. Cmon guys, i love Jimmy too but this si ridiculous, i dont see him to be the type to be pushed out or pushed around
Stop being so rational........We will not stand for that here!

deltox
04-06-2010, 01:51 PM
i think MLSE will spend the money. they have already shown they will.

and look at what the other MLSE teams spend. 2 or 3 DP's are a drop in the bucket.

we could get 3 Dps for less than what Kaberle is getting

ForestGlade
04-06-2010, 01:51 PM
It's an utter shame Jimmy didn't get to play his final game on BMO grass.

Instead his last game was in Columbus

That really sucks

Lucky Strike
04-06-2010, 01:53 PM
BTW,

Latvian LB: Hscanovics
Russian RB: Ulanov

Just to make it easier to refer to some of the trialists.

Oblio2
04-06-2010, 01:54 PM
Ok, get a chant for Hscanovics!!!!!
:)

ManUtd4ever
04-06-2010, 01:55 PM
my god, its been less than an hour.

Believe it or not paperwork takes time especially in this league. :D

QFT! Obviously, this move is a precursor to new signings that will be announced shortly otherwise Jimmy B wouldn't be promoted to the front office at this juncture of the season. I'll reserve judgement until then...

craz11
04-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Kind of off topic....but I miss year one.
May and June were outstanding...and that is also before we knew that All for one was a sham.

We had The Chicago Game, Dichio's goal, Goldwaithe and Edu sealing it.
We had the game in the rain where we beat Houston on Welsh's goal
We had the 4-0 Fathers day masacre of Dallas and Dichio scoring during the dichio chant
We beat Colorado 2-1 with Wynne nutmeging a Crapids defender to set up Dichio.
We had Jimmy's wonder strike against the KKKrew

We're in year 4...and it's never been any better than that. Never.

and how! I completely agree with everything above. Year 2 did not have much in the way of memorable moments except for losing the Canadian Championship, and last season was a gong show that has continued thus far...

GONG!

TFC Cityboy
04-06-2010, 01:57 PM
I actually like Dickov.
I think he'll be a breath of fresh air but when he sees he's got fuck all to work with, we'll have to replace him to, after he leaves.
agree...he'll do well in this league - I saw an early pre-season game and he was involved ina lot of good link up play and was unlucky not to score a couple.
If/when he comes to TFC, he will change a lot of opinions, and you get a dressing room character who will not stand for slackers.

Having said that, I doubt that whatever is happening behind the curtain is this move as he is not a banner player...

I guess my work is done for the day and I'll just hit F5 a lot now...

canadian_bhoy
From what I heard, this wasn't supposed to happen until June/July.

The fact that it is happening now seems to suggest that Mo has done some wheeling and dealing and troops are on the way.

Sad to see JB go, but great that he's staying with the club.

Now someone hurry over to BMO and steal all the captain's armbands out of the changeroom before Mo gives it to his girlfriend Nick Garcia.

Velvet Elvis
and how! I completely agree with everything above. Year 2 did not have much in the way of memorable moments except for losing the Canadian Championship, and last season was a gong show that has continued thus far...

GONG!

(we did get a trophy last year LOL)

Mango Kid
04-06-2010, 01:59 PM
best thing ive read in a bit

Thanks OMY, but I'm sure I'm not saying anything most haven't thought before. I think part of being a professional club is acting the part, and far too often, the act is real weak and we get ill timed and ill advised moves that looks like nobody is in control or has a clue which may well be exactly how things should seem in this case.

We went from scrambling to sign guys in the HOURS before our opening game, to about 10 days of silence, and now we get our captain (albeit a diminished one, IMO) shutting it down days before game two? Was there not any thought this off-season of a plan, other than getting a coach?

Ridiculous, and now when I see Toronto media members taking swipes at the team, I find myself very hard pressed to disagree. We're no longer an expansion team, but seem one more by the day.

Dbl_D
04-06-2010, 01:59 PM

how is that actually pronounced... ;)

Beach_Red
04-06-2010, 02:01 PM
OK i am kinda fed up with the Mos got something up his sleeves...
The only thing that mo has up his sleeves is a mickey...:drinking:
It's just appauling how an someone like him could have been allowed to control TFC for these years... disgusting...

He doesn't, check out the First Wave thread, Mo is only here for people to have a person to direct their anger at, the publc face. Brennan is also First Wave, this is just them securing the entire FO and making sure they stay on after Mo leaves.

It would almost be better if they respected us enough to at least try and be sneaky about it...

Section 110
04-06-2010, 02:02 PM

Awesome, love it.

Mango Kid
04-06-2010, 02:03 PM
It would almost be better if they respected us enough to at least try and be sneaky about it...

You assume, of course, they would know how.

Beach_Red
04-06-2010, 02:03 PM
I think you are missing the point... if thi was in october/november of last year or 2010. Then i would be sure he definetly won;t get better as a player. Also gives you all winter to restructure and bring someone in his place. THE SEASON HAS STARTER!!! This is what makes the difference.
Mo looks like an incompetent, procratinating alcoholic with ADD. ...

There was zero chance MLSE were going to sign any contracts until the CBA was settled. Of course, Mo looks like an idiot, that's his job, that's the plan here, we're just supposed to be angry with Mo and not even look at the organization he fronts. Sadly, it's actually working...

Ossington Mental Youth
04-06-2010, 02:07 PM

lets figure out how to pronounce it first ;)

Lucky Strike
04-06-2010, 02:07 PM

Good question, there are in fact a lot of accents and doodads that go with his name (Raivis Hščanovičs) that would change the pronounciation beyond what I assumed was "hss-ka-no-vichs".

Anyone trying to make up a chant for this guy should he sign will be hard pressed...

canadian_bhoy
04-06-2010, 02:08 PM
Bye bye Wynne
Bye bye Jimmy B
Hello nobody
I feel like I could cry

Bye bye Carl
Bye bye serioux
Now what will we do
I feel like I could cry

Bub buy old boys good byeeye

7-eU9nS7fXk

billyfly
04-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Hello,

I'm from the future. Everything will work out fine and you'll all look back at this and laugh.

Regards,

The Guy from the Future

(I really, really wish)

tfcmanu
04-06-2010, 02:14 PM

Hooked on Phonics???? Hscanovics :(

SteeltownBhoy
04-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Cnadian_Bhoy

That works and it's f*ckin spot on!!

Ossington Mental Youth
04-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Thanks OMY, but I'm sure I'm not saying anything most haven't thought before. I think part of being a professional club is acting the part, and far too often, the act is real weak and we get ill timed and ill advised moves that looks like nobody is in control or has a clue which may well be exactly how things should seem in this case.

We went from scrambling to sign guys in the HOURS before our opening game, to about 10 days of silence, and now we get our captain (albeit a diminished one, IMO) shutting it down days before game two? Was there not any thought this off-season of a plan, other than getting a coach?

Ridiculous, and now when I see Toronto media members taking swipes at the team, I find myself very hard pressed to disagree. We're no longer an expansion team, but seem one more by the day.

although i agree with absolutely everything youve said, i was thinking of it in another context like we jump to conclusions far to often in this forum:D

Pookie
04-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Brennan mentioned to me directly that he was planning on playing one more year and then pursing coach aspirations. I don't think I'm talking out of school here since this has been repeated by quite a few folks.

Maybe he just determined he simply moved up the timeline

drewski
04-06-2010, 02:18 PM
Brennan mentioned to me directly that he was planning on playing one more year and then pursing coach aspirations. I don't think I'm talking out of school here since this has been repeated by quite a few folks.

Maybe he just determined he simply moved up the timeline

AND change positions?

bgnewf
04-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Jimmy Brennan – The Captain Takes One For The Director of Soccer. (http://www.tfcpics.com/blog/2010/04/jimmy-brennan-%e2%80%93-the-captain-takes-one-for-the-director-of-soccer/) (http://www.tfcpics.com/blog/2010/04/jimmy-brennan-%e2%80%93-the-captain-takes-one-for-the-director-of-soccer/)

My blog post is below. Please feel free to click through and support the blog. Comments always welcome, good or bad.

http://www.tfcpics.com/blog (http://www.tfcpics.com/blog)

Jimmy Brennan and Danny Dichio have always, and perhaps always will be, my two favourite Toronto FC players. They were professionals that played hard and clearly loved the club and the supporters. They were the first heroes we had to cheeer for in TFC Red. And that will never change in my eyes. New stars and heroes will come, but for me these two players will always hold a special place.
Last season, under inarguably unclear circumstances, Danny “retired” late in the season to take a coaching position with the club. Today we hear that Jimmy Brennan is essentially doing the same thing and has “retired” with immediate effect to take a position titled as “Assistant to the GM”. Both Danny and Jimmy still work for the club so we will never really hear the truth about these two situations if ever. But something really stinks about this announcement. In Danny’s case his salary comes off the books last season and we immediately sign Julian De Guzman. And if reports are to be believe, Jimmy’s not inconsequential salary comes off the books and a potential signing of Leeds United striker Paul Dickov is just around the corner.

Not A Man Who Sounded Like He Was Packing It In.

I listened to Jimmy Brennan be interviewed on the “It’s Called Football” podcast last week and in that wide ranging interview he stated that this season was definitely going to be his last as a player. He also stated that his future interest was to work with the team in some capacity going forward. He did not sound like a man that was planning to hang up his cleats and pick up a clipboard a week later. No way no how was this in the cards for Jim Brennan a week ago.
I can’t help but think that in both cases, Danny and Jimmy were forced out before their time. And Mo was the person forcing them. There can be no other logical explanation.
And I am not being nostalgic or maudlin when I say this. I am sure Danny did not want to end his career as a player the way it ended. And I think that Jimmy feels exactly the same way today. They will put a brave face on it and say the right things, but we all know better. Danny went off the roster at a time when his talents for poaching goals and playing a holding role up front were in short supply for the club. And we all know how that ended last season. This season our defence is arguably still the weakest part of our club and we now drop an experienced professional from the roster who can still contribute.

Unfair At Best And Disgraceful At Worst

Danny Dichio allows Mo Johnston to sign Julian De Guzman last season. If Danny had not retired and freed up the cap space the De Guzman deal could never have happened. Now Jimmy comes off the books with immediate effect and the rumours out of Leeds and Toronto state that Paul Dickov is very close to signing. With our thin roster and well known problems with the salary cap and allocation it looks like Jimmy’s cap room will be used to sign other players, perhaps Dickov.
I want to give Mo the benefit of the doubt here, I really do. But if he had managed the roster and salary cap space of the club better than he has, he would not have to ask two professionals who are TFC through and through to unfairly have to sacrifice their playing careers to bail him out. Asking two professionals who he essentially has over a barrel to get Mo out of the predicament he walked into with open eyes out is unfair at best and disgraceful at worst. You do not treat professionals this way just because you can.
Last season TFC supporters created banner thanking Danny Dichio for his service and the memories he helped. One banner covered the entire south end of the stadium andThe North End Elite also did an amazing Tifo for the same game thanking him for the same reasons. I am not sure what we will collectively do for Jimmy but I hope that fans do take some time to remember our first player, our first Captain and a local boy who came home to give his all for his hometown club.

deltox
04-06-2010, 02:23 PM
this was on the score blog comments:

It’s not Dickov. TFC are preparing to sign Kerry Baptiste and Iwan Redan. One or two (maybe three) roster moves still to come by the end of the week.

TFC Cityboy
04-06-2010, 02:26 PM
who?

Whoop
04-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Baptiste = another midfielder
Redan = a striker who hasn't scored since 2007

Pookie
04-06-2010, 02:27 PM
AND change positions?

He still has to get his licenses so I imagine this is the job that pays the bills while that happens.

Being an assistant to a control freak is probably going to give him lots of time on his hands.

billyfly
04-06-2010, 02:28 PM
The Great Canadian experiment is over.

rocker
04-06-2010, 02:28 PM
he would not have to ask two professionals who are TFC through and through to unfairly have to sacrifice their playing careers to bail him out. Asking two professionals who he essentially has over a barrel

how do you know Brennan sacrificed his playing career? Someone earlier in the thread said he planned to retire at midseason before the guaranteed contract date to save TFC the $$$. Now it's just a few months earlier.
Brennan and Mojo seem pretty close. I doubt he just sprung this on him yesterday.
Instead he's rewarded Jimmy's loyalty with a pretty sweet job he probably would never get at any other team. That's professional by any standard.

TFC Cityboy
04-06-2010, 02:29 PM
PERFECT - if true...they'll fit right in.

drewski

a high scoring MF for Joe Public according to wiki

and a guy who's barely played since 2007 and when he did it was with 2 2nd div dutch teams

Bluenose13

It’s not Dickov. TFC are preparing to sign Kerry Baptiste and Iwan Redan. One or two (maybe three) roster moves still to come by the end of the week.Kerry Baptiste was being chased by TFC & Dallas about a month ago....

http://www.socawarriors.net/mens-senior-team/6905-mls-clubs-join-hunt-for-kerry-baptiste.html

Whoop
04-06-2010, 02:32 PM
So if it is Baptiste.... would he push DeRo back to his preferred position and Baptiste be more of an attacking mid/forward?

Bluenose13
04-06-2010, 02:32 PM
Baptiste played as a striker last year & scored 48 goals.

Oblio2
04-06-2010, 02:33 PM

It’s not Dickov. TFC are preparing to sign Kerry Baptiste and Iwan Redan. One or two (maybe three) roster moves still to come by the end of the week.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerry_Baptiste
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iwan_Redan

Stouffville_RPB
04-06-2010, 02:35 PM
What about Zac Herold, our LB 1st round pick? Sure he's young but he's young but this team isn't going anywhere anyway.

On Dickov; didn't we just cut the last League 1 striker we signed?

FO really makes it hard to cheer for this team.

Beach_Red
how do you know Brennan sacrificed his playing career? Someone earlier in the thread said he planned to retire at midseason before the guaranteed contract date to save TFC the $$$. Now it's just a few months earlier.
Brennan and Mojo seem pretty close. I doubt he just sprung this on him yesterday.
Instead he's rewarded Jimmy's loyalty with a pretty sweet job he probably would never get at any other team. That's professional by any standard.

Yes, a lot of people seem to forget that these guys still need to make a living, they have young families to support. A steady paycheque means a lot more than a final game on grass or some farewell celebration.

In a business where no promises are made and people get cut and fired all the time, not having to skip a single paycheque is a big deal.

Ossington Mental Youth
sorry bgnewf, i hate mo too but im still not convinced that Brennan was forced out. Dont forget he would put the team above himself and if he felt that him leaving to make room for other players that could contribute on a higher level would help, he would do so

Ossington Mental Youth
04-06-2010, 02:36 PM

saw that too, sounds realistic too

Whoop
04-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Favourite fact about Redan...

During a KNVB Cup match against De Graafschap Redan headbutted team mate Kristof Imschoot and the Willem II board decided Redan had to leave the club.

Stouffville_RPB
04-06-2010, 02:40 PM
Favourite fact about Redan...

During a KNVB Cup match against De Graafschap Redan headbutted team mate Kristof Imschoot and the Willem II board decided Redan had to leave the club.

That will be good for our locker room that was rumored to have "isuues" last year.

2 club appearances sinve the 06/07 season. Sounds good sign him up!

Shaughno
04-06-2010, 02:42 PM
I remember Baptiste. If he can play in the MLS like he did in the TTPL, he should do well. Good passer, likes to shoot as well.

Daveisonfire
04-06-2010, 02:42 PM
:willy_nilly:

ManUtd4ever
04-06-2010, 02:43 PM
Baptiste would definitely be a solid addition...

Waggy
04-06-2010, 02:48 PM
HO boy. This place is gonna go nuts over this. Lets not over-react too much...

KristianJack

Former team-mate of Jim Brennan just told me: "He doesn't like Preki." Keep an eye on score.com for story coming soon. #tfc
2 minutes ago via web

bgnewf
04-06-2010, 02:48 PM
sorry bgnewf, i hate mo too but im still not convinced that Brennan was forced out. Dont forget he would put the team above himself and if he felt that him leaving to make room for other players that could contribute on a higher level would help, he would do so

With the poor communications at the club I guess we will never know. Appreciate the feedback.

mastermixer
04-06-2010, 02:49 PM

KristianJack

Former team-mate of Jim Brennan just told me: "He doesn't like Preki." Keep an eye on score.com for story coming soon. #tfc
2 minutes ago via web

I just put my head in my hand and realized I just did a real life facepalm.

McBrace
04-06-2010, 02:50 PM

KristianJack

2 minutes ago via web

Now this make no sense... Hi I'm the new assistant GM and the new coach is an ass! I doubt this very much...

RedsYNWA
04-06-2010, 02:50 PM
ITs A Circus but I'm not laughing

Chevy
04-06-2010, 02:51 PM
^^ Who is that in your avatar? It's distracting.

drewski
04-06-2010, 02:52 PM

sounds like he might have been (sorta), just not by Mo

KristianJack (http://twitter.com/KristianJack)
Former team-mate of Jim Brennan just told me: "He doesn't like Preki." Keep an eye on score.com for story coming soon. #tfc (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23tfc)

Krasno.pL.
04-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Soo is it Jimmmy who doesnt like Preki.. or Jimmys teammate.. lol

dantdot
04-06-2010, 02:54 PM
This is madness, this is spar--TFC!

Broadview
04-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Definitely a popcorn thread :)

I'll miss seeing you on the field Jimmy. Congrats on the new gig.

tfcmanu
04-06-2010, 02:56 PM

KristianJack

2 minutes ago via web

ADRIAN SERIOUX!

Gixmo
04-06-2010, 02:56 PM
KJ's latest comments are sure to send this place into an uproar of speculation!

Shaughno
04-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Soo is it Jimmmy who doesnt like Preki.. or Jimmys teammate.. lol

ADRIAN SERIOUX!

^^ Was the first thing that came to my mind...

Roogsy
04-06-2010, 02:59 PM
:smilielol5:

OMG...it's a debacle at BMO Field.

Phil
04-06-2010, 02:59 PM

I am thinking someone else who has left the team. :D

Gixmo
04-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Such as?

Daveisonfire
04-06-2010, 03:01 PM

Either Adrian or Ali

Frick
04-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Robbo?

Shaughno
04-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Hmmm.. who would KJ be in touch with, Gerba? :lol: Geez, that would be a surprise

sully
04-06-2010, 03:02 PM
ADRIAN SERIOUX!

The trouble is...it could any of a number of players.. Not encouraging

dupont
04-06-2010, 03:03 PM
http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt79/englishmuse/ScarJo_popcorn.gif

Ossington Mental Youth
04-06-2010, 03:06 PM
With the poor communications at the club I guess we will never know. Appreciate the feedback.

agreed, my pleasure, keep prodding the FO ;)

Pookie
Now this make no sense... Hi I'm the new assistant GM and the new coach is an ass! I doubt this very much...

Agreed. For a player to quit because he doesn't like the coach is one thing.

For a GM to learn that the player doesn't like the coach and then finds the player a job within the organization that just hired the coach he supposedly doesn't like... well that would just be stupid. No one would do that... would they? :confused:

I think the real story is less sexy than the speculation. Brennan recognized he wouldn't be playing much, was offered an option that would see him maintain a steady pay cheque and give him time to get his coaching licenses.

I imagine his role as assistant GM is going to be much like Doug Gilmour's role with the Leafs was. More of a symbolic position and a way to make good on promises made in previous years.

Roogsy
Scarlett Johansson is hawt, hawt, hawt. :hump:

sully
04-06-2010, 03:07 PM
If true, this timing shows nobody is in control at the club...they're just reacting to problems... Not encouraging

dupont
04-06-2010, 03:08 PM

haha i didn't even know who that girl was that I posted! I just googled "popcorn!" :D thanks for letting me know!

Gixmo

Super fine!

Ali Gerba, Complaining about Preki.. SHOCKING

Ossington Mental Youth
great point McBrace

Phil
http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt79/englishmuse/ScarJo_popcorn.gif

This is about all we can do right now.

mmmmmm, popcorn, and Scarlet :D

ManUtd4ever
04-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Wow. KJ certainly knows how to stir the pot. Based on Gerba's reputation and outspoken nature it could be him. Whoever it is, I don't think Jimmy appreciates this unecessary negative publicity...

craz11
04-06-2010, 03:15 PM
Baptiste played as a striker last year & scored 48 goals.

Keep in mind the T&T league isn't much better than most Toronto men's leagues...

Nuvinho
04-06-2010, 03:19 PM
isn't KJ and Sharman close with Robbo?

Waggy
04-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Like I said. Let's not over react to this. Clearly, even if Brennan doesn't like Preki it isn't THAT much of an issue since he had no problem accepting a role in the club. Also don't forget that this whole sweeping attitude change that was required after last year was prompted by mass laziness. Brennan was the captain for that, perhaps Preki was harder on him for his role in that? Assuming KJ got good info, and god knows there are more than a few potential sources who could be stiring up trouble to get Mo in our bad books (Adrien, Robbo, Ali G etc).

Either way, no getting distracted. The point right now is we just cut one of our only good players with no immanent replacement and a game in 4 days. We need to keep asking who's coming in. Who's playing left back on saturday? Who's going to wear the armband? I think Mo probably has a plan here, all these moves are lining up to something, but that something has to reveal itself at a certain point no?

Bluenose13
04-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Keep in mind the T&T league isn't much better than most Toronto men's leagues...Hmmm.......His team Joe Public beat New England in a Champions league match 4-0.

Shaughno
04-06-2010, 03:21 PM
Hmmm.......His team Joe Public beat New England in a Champions league match 4-0.

I was gonna say, JR has been in the CONCACAF Champions League for two years running have they not?

ua-kozak_TFC
04-06-2010, 03:25 PM
You can't make every decision in October/November and close up shop for the next year.

You have playoffs until November 25 or so.. then you have expansion drafts, college drafts.. then training camp doesn't start until February.

Then the league didn't have a new CBA until two days before the season started.

This deal happened now because it had to happen now.
LOL....
I agree ALL deals can;t be made in november or october By the same tocken all deals can;t be made right at the beggining of the season... while SHIT ALL hapens in the offseason...
CBA or NO CBA isn;t really an excuse... cause everyone knew that the cap WILL increase... There was NO question that the cap will be smaller. The fact that MO got himself tied to many overpayed and underperforming players is a different story...

I can;t believe that some are still think that Mo is a good GM... or somehow that the lack of success was is tied to constant difficult situation that happen in the club.... I am fed up with these irrational excuses for everything... When will MO be accountable for his desicion.

The other day I heard Burke say somethings that i ahve never heard Mo say in the almost 4 years he has been here. Although Burke is fairly new to the Maple leafs he acknowledge that the lack of success in the team ha has been with a team is no doubt his fault... (That was right before they signed phaneuf...) My point is STOP THE EXCUSES...

Beach_Red
04-06-2010, 03:35 PM
LOL....
I agree ALL deals can;t be made in november or october By the same tocken all deals can;t be made right at the beggining of the season... while SHIT ALL hapens in the offseason...
CBA or NO CBA isn;t really an excuse... cause everyone knew that the cap WILL increase... There was NO question that the cap will be smaller. The fact that MO got himself tied to many overpayed and underperforming players is a different story...

I can;t believe that some are still think that Mo is a good GM... or somehow that the lack of success was is tied to constant difficult situation that happen in the club.... I am fed up with these irrational excuses for everything... When will MO be accountable for his desicion.

The other day I heard Burke say somethings that i ahve never heard Mo say in the almost 4 years he has been here. Although Burke is fairly new to the Maple leafs he acknowledge that the lack of success in the team ha has been with a team is no doubt his fault... (That was right before they signed phaneuf...) My point is STOP THE EXCUSES...

Yes, but stop them at the very top where they start.

Burke can say whatever he wants, his team is still in last place. Okay, maybe wat he took over was worse than an expansion team, maybe he has a plan, maybe even a five year plan, maybe we just need to be patient. But if it doesn't work out the guy who hired him will just hire someone else and it'll start over.

woolly
04-06-2010, 03:40 PM
I guess what really grinds my gears is not the wholesale dumping of players, without anyone new signed to the roster. It's not even that Jim was the First, and now is the last of the first year starters to get treated to an apparent brush off.

It's the fact that we no longer have any players on out team that have played together consistently for more than a year. Sam Cronin and Stefan Frei are now as veteran a TFC player as we have, despite having been drafted at the beginning of last year.

JDG
04-06-2010, 03:44 PM
I guess what really grinds my gears is not the wholesale dumping of players, without anyone new signed to the roster. It's not even that Jim was the First, and now is the last of the first year starters to get treated to an apparent brush off.

It's the fact that we no longer have any players on out team that have played together consistently for more than a year. Sam Cronin and Stefan Frei are now as veteran a TFC player as we have, despite having been drafted at the beginning of last year.

Jimmy isn't being brushed off and he's not the last.
Attakora and Galla are the last two from 2007.
Kristen Jack tweeted that he has been told that Jimmy doesn't like Preki.

nfitz
04-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Our longest-serving veteran now is Gabe Gala, who first appeared in Spring 2007. And number 2 would be Nana Attakora or Fuad Ibrahim, depending on how you do the math. Attakora was around in 2007, but didn't play until August 2008.

Whoop
04-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Please don't tell me that's the reason why he's quitting/retiring?

I know minor hockey kids who have more resolve than these guys "hating" their coach.

Lots of people hate their bosses/co-workers and unless it becomes totally unbearable, most don't quit.

Dirk Diggler
04-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Keep in mind the T&T league isn't much better than most Toronto men's leagues...

To be honest, if someone scored 48 goals in Toronto men's league, I would want him on TFC as well ... such is the sad state of our roster at the moment.

SteeltownBhoy
04-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Well this has all made MLS RUMOURS, so it must be gospel!!

Gixmo
04-06-2010, 03:55 PM
To be honest, if someone scored 48 goals in Toronto men's league, I would want him on TFC as well ... such is the sad state of our roster at the moment.

The statement regarding the T&T leagues is not entirely accurate.

Joe Republic spanked New England in CCL play and has been a consistent contender in the tournament. Likewise, the guy dented the onion bag 48 times.. Which is 35 some odd times more then most TFC's 'Strikers'

If Baptiste comes to fruition, I'll be ok with that.

Shakes McQueen
04-06-2010, 03:56 PM
I won't judge this situation until the dust settles a bit.

By the same token though, isn't it kind of pathetic that, unlike other teams, we are always blowing up our roster well into the beginning of the season? Other teams put the pieces in place, give them time to play together, then they go and play. Our GM is scraping together cap space and moving guys left and right.

And does anyone really buy that this team has a long term "plan" in place any more? These moves are the wild flailing of a GM on death row. Look at the sheer number of players we dump and bring in every single season - there is no plan.

- Scott

Shaughno
04-06-2010, 03:57 PM
The statement regarding the T&T leagues is not entirely accurate.

Joe Republic spanked New England in CCL play and has been a consistent contender in the tournament. Likewise, the guy dented the onion bag 48 times.. Which is 35 some odd times more then most TFC's 'Strikers'

If Baptiste comes to fruition, I'll be ok with that.

That's what I'm saying. The guy knows how to find the net and has over 100 goals with Joe Republic. Coming from that league he can't be costing much either, I would assume anyway.