PDA

View Full Version : Toronto FC signs GK Milos Kocic

Nuvinho
04-06-2010, 08:14 AM
LukeWileman (http://twitter.com/LukeWileman)

Kocic will wear #30. Johnston: "He's a good young keeper and it gives us good protection in this position" #torontofc (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23torontofc)

Nuvinho
04-06-2010, 08:15 AM
bye bye Frei!

Nuvinho
04-06-2010, 08:15 AM
Toronto FC signs Milos Kocic (http://blogs.thescore.com/footyblog/2010/04/06/toronto-fc-signs-milos-kocic/)
Posted by Joe Ross (http://blogs.thescore.com/footyblog/author/joeross/)

PRESS RELEASE
Toronto FC announced Tuesday they have signed goalkeeper Milos Kocic.
“Kocic is a good young keeper,” said manager, director of soccer Mo Johnston. “Having him here will be good protection for us at this position. He’ll learn not only from our coaches, but will be able to work with our other two great keepers – Stefan and Jon, that will only benefit him down the road.”
Kocic, 24, was drafted in the 2nd Round, 21st overall in the 2009 MLS SuperDraft by D.C. United. He was signed to a developmental contract and made his professional debut with D.C. on April 22, 2009 in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup against FC Dallas. The following week he played once again against Dallas.
The keeper played in Serbia prior to college and was part of the youth system of his hometown team Dubocica Leskovac.
Kocic will be available for selection upon the approval of his Canadian Visa and the arrival of his ITC.

Phil
04-06-2010, 08:19 AM
bye bye Frei!

I would be surprised if Frei were gone, this looks like a depth move to me.

Nodoubtguy
04-06-2010, 08:19 AM
lol....yes, GK's....thats where our problems are

Nuvinho
04-06-2010, 08:21 AM

I guess, but for me I don't think a team needs 3 keepers unless one is a home grown or really young keeper. With the MLS keeper pool, if injuries arise then we can get a replacement.

I just figured that with a small roster, you'd want to maximize your outfield players, especially since we had problems in the past with injuries and fielding a full squad.

drexel10
This sounds like Frei might be going to Europe in the summer.

Nuvinho

new MLS rules, you can start 2 keepers:

TFC will deploy a 2-1-7-1 formation

Phil
04-06-2010, 08:24 AM
I guess, but for me I don't think a team needs 3 keepers unless one is a home grown or really young keeper. With the MLS keeper pool, if injuries arise then we can get a replacement.

I just figured that with a small roster, you'd want to maximize your outfield players, especially since we had problems in the past with injuries and fielding a full squad.

I would rather look at Conway being shaky....

As well, are we not supposed to see a return of reserves? Year one we needed a lot of keepers.

I am really hopeful they get creative with development and player movement.

Stryker
04-06-2010, 08:25 AM
We have no defenders and no goal scorers and we're going to spend our last few dollars on a completely useless third goalkeeper?
Come on... don't piss on my leg and tell me its raining.

Roogsy
04-06-2010, 08:25 AM

:smilielol5:

OMG Sal, I can hear the sarcasm dripping through my monitor.

deltox
04-06-2010, 08:27 AM
do we still need a certain amount of CDNs on the team?

how do we not have a CDN backup goalie?

Nuvinho
04-06-2010, 08:29 AM
We have no defenders and no goal scorers and we're going to spend our last few dollars on a completely useless third goalkeeper?
Come on... don't piss on my leg and tell me its raining.

If you look at the salaries of our 3 keepers, we could be in line with the rest of the league, remember we have Frei on a GA contract

So with Frei ($0), Conway ($40K), and Kocic ($40K).....$80K on 3 keepers is not bad. But at the same time, I rather use the open roster spot on someone else.

Roogsy
04-06-2010, 08:29 AM
I don't even bother looking at the roster anymore...it just ticks me off.

ManUtd4ever
04-06-2010, 08:31 AM
For what it's worth, Kosic was excellent in the pre-season. It's still a questionable signing though unless Frei will be used as trade bait to bolster the backline or frontline...

Cashcleaner
04-06-2010, 08:34 AM
Well, I think this pretty much confirms that Frei is leaving us. Like Stryer said, we need anything BUT another keeper at the moment, so this is looking like just one phase in a plan to free up some much-needed cap space and acquire the players we do need.

jabbronies
04-06-2010, 08:38 AM
Actually, there are a lot of teams in the MLS that carry 3 goalies on their roster. So this is not an uncommon thing in a league with roster limitations.

And at the prices we are paying, it makes sense to have 3.

denime
04-06-2010, 08:45 AM
Frei is not leaving TFC.Period.How I know,can't tell you but source is solid.

so please stop being so paranoid abut Frei leaving TFC for some other MLS team.
If he leaves TFC,than for some European team,not MLS team,and not now.

If I'm not mistaken Reserve league is coming back so 3 goalies are minimum requirement anyway.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-06-2010, 08:45 AM
If Frei leaves itll be for something big considering his value at this time, i also dont think that the roster is finished yet, cant say im dismayed any longer altho we definitely need need some strikers (believe it or not im feeling a bit more comfortable with our defender selection, although id love to see Garcia leaving and a solid CB coming in)

Cashcleaner
04-06-2010, 08:47 AM
Actually, there are a lot of teams in the MLS that carry 3 goalies on their roster. So this is not an uncommon thing in a league with roster limitations.

And at the prices we are paying, it makes sense to have 3.

Yes, we're not paying a lot for them (thanks mostly to Frei's Generation Adidas status), BUT we would stand to get quite a bit for Stefan if he was put up on the block.

UltraFootyKWC
04-06-2010, 08:51 AM
new MLS rules, you can start 2 keepers:

TFC will deploy a 2-1-7-1 formation

:lol: You know what? With all of the wacky MLS rules, hearing this wouldn't suprise me.

rocker
04-06-2010, 08:55 AM
there was a time when TFC fans complained that TFC only had 2 GKs on the roster and had to depend on pool keepers when those guys got injured ;) now things are reversed I see. 3 keepers is too much! ;)

as mentioned above, most MLS teams have 3 keepers on the roster. TFC has always been the exception. And as mentioned, with Frei as GA and costing nothing, he doesn't even count.

Nodoubtguy
04-06-2010, 08:56 AM
there was a time when TFC fans complained that TFC only had 2 GKs on the roster and had to depend on pool keepers when those guys got injured ;) now things are reversed I see. 3 keepers is too much! ;)

2.5!!!! I want 2.5!!!!!

Section 117
04-06-2010, 08:57 AM
Frei isn't going to Europe anytime soon. He has some flaws which need to be worked out prior to him even thinking of going over seas IMO.

Also, if we traded him within the MLS I don't think we would get fair value for him unless Mo has info to blackmail another GM

jabbronies
04-06-2010, 09:02 AM
Yes, we're not paying a lot for them (thanks mostly to Frei's Generation Adidas status), BUT we would stand to get quite a bit for Stefan if he was put up on the block.

I don't get why everyone is so excited to trade Frei for other assets.
I'd rather sell him to a Euro club for cash, which is guaranteed to be value, than trade him for a player who ends up being a bust.

Whoop
04-06-2010, 09:02 AM
a) What would Frei realistically command in a trade?
b) Which European team would want him?

He's not as good as Guzan and while he does have a Swiss passport, is moving to Norway going to be beneficial at this time in his career? And he's not going to bring in Edu money.

I think when it comes to Frei some people look at him with red coloured glasses. I would move him to get a forward, but in reality I wouldn't be expecting much in return.

EDIT: What Section 117 said.

Chevy
04-06-2010, 09:05 AM
2.5!!!! I want 2.5!!!!!

Bring back Monsalve. He would count as a .5

Oldtimer
04-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Frei isn't going to Europe anytime soon. He has some flaws which need to be worked out prior to him even thinking of going over seas IMO.

Also, if we traded him within the MLS I don't think we would get fair value for him unless Mo has info to blackmail another GM

If Mo had that, he could unload Nick Garcia. :D

Pachuco
04-06-2010, 09:13 AM
I hope this is all part of a bigger plan we don't know about yet. 3 international GKs is just silly when you are struggling to sign enough outfield players to have a bench. Unless of course we have the cap space and most people's assumnptions are all wrong. Based on what Paul B said a week ago on twitter I'm starting to think that's the case. People around here put way too much emphasis on the numbers they calculate yet there are alot of assumptions in those numbers. At the end of the day we have no idea how much cap space Mo has to work with.

I think he's simply incompetent to sign anyone, not so much that he doesn't have the room to do so.

maninb
04-06-2010, 09:26 AM
a) What would Frei realistically command in a trade?
b) Which European team would want him?

He's not as good as Guzan and while he does have a Swiss passport, is moving to Norway going to be beneficial at this time in his career? And he's not going to bring in Edu money.

I think when it comes to Frei some people look at him with red coloured glasses. I would move him to get a forward, but in reality I wouldn't be expecting much in return.

EDIT: What Section 117 said.

Good post....Frei isn't going to Europe unless he PROVES himself here or with the Swiss men's team....and his trade value is VERY LIMITED since he's been openly saying he's off to Europe ASAP...

Yohan
04-06-2010, 09:26 AM
this sounds like a just in case move to me, though it's not hard to pick up a solid back up GK in MLS on free agency

menefreghista
04-06-2010, 09:39 AM
Good post....Frei isn't going to Europe unless he PROVES himself here or with the Swiss men's team....and his trade value is VERY LIMITED since he's been openly saying he's off to Europe ASAP...

Add to that the fact that we can pretty much only trade him for another Gen.Adidas player within the league.

Its fairly obvious there is nothing the club could do that would ever upset you. You should change your username to Mr. Brightside.

Adding a 3rd keeper is fine. But when you have other pressing needs it seems redundant. Plus people probably wanted 3 keepers back in the 28-player roster days. Not sure if 3 keepers is a good idea in the 24 player roster era, with a pool of keepers at our disposal.

Cashcleaner
04-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Reading a bit more into things, I'm gonna go ahead and change my mind about Frei. 3 GKs for the price we're paying is a good move and probably one that will be mandated by the league soon enough. I'll concede that this is not likely part of a move to shop Frei.

Which is fine by me! :D

Lucky Strike
04-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Frei is not leaving TFC.Period.How I know,can't tell you but source is solid.

so please stop being so paranoid abut Frei leaving TFC for some other MLS team.
If he leaves TFC,than for some European team,not MLS team,and not now.

If I'm not mistaken Reserve league is coming back so 3 goalies are minimum requirement anyway.

That was the assumption I was working under as well.

Lucky Strike
04-06-2010, 11:14 AM
I just had another thought: what if Kocic or Conway are also secretly strikers? Just kidding, but what if one of them could play an outfield position and we had no idea. It's unlikely, but just something else to chew.

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-06-2010, 11:14 AM
They're studying the feasibility of reinstating the reserve league. Not happening this year, so we don't need a goalie for it.

This is just getting stupid, we need a striker now, not a third goalie.

reggie
04-06-2010, 11:20 AM
the league should step in and get rid of this clown...wtf is he doing.
does this max out our internat spots???

FC Porto
04-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Is there really any team out there willing to give up something half decent for Frei?

Don't get me wrong he's a quality young keeper, but unless a team is rebuilding I don't see them being interested in giving up a good asset(s) for Frei. And if the team is in fact rebuilding then will they have anything to give up we need cuz God knows we don't need picks!

Throw in the possibility of him heading to Europe soon and I really don't see anyone offereing up something worth while to TFC.

A few years back we thought that Edwards had some value but no one bit. Then last year when the Union said they would probably going to select Seitz, RSL couldn't find anyone to take him that would want to use up a protection spot on him, and RSL wouldn't either.

I think Frei has more value then the other 2 mentioned, but I think the label "good young keeper" sounds a lot sexier to MLS fans then what it actually is to GM's around the league.

Hell, every draft the best keeper in the pool tends to go late in the 1st round (except Seitz) at best.

Inklink
04-06-2010, 01:38 PM

No worries! I hear Kocic plays at CB too! :rolleyes:

rocker
04-06-2010, 01:58 PM
This is just getting stupid, we need a striker now, not a third goalie.

It's not stupid to have three keepers. Just because you sign a third keeper (which is important if Frei gets hurt and Conway is the starter), doesn't mean you can't sign a striker.

It's not one or the other. And you don't stop signing players at other positions until you sign a striker.

T_Mizz
04-06-2010, 02:06 PM
It's not stupid to have three keepers. Just because you sign a third keeper (which is important if Frei gets hurt and Conway is the starter), doesn't mean you can't sign a striker.

It's not one or the other. And you don't stop signing players at other positions until you sign a striker.
It doesn't mean that but it does mean you have less money available to sign that striker

Wooster_TFC
04-06-2010, 02:08 PM
the league should step in and get rid of this clown...wtf is he doing.
does this max out our internat spots???

Who knows right now? The signing of Joseph (or Nane whatever his last name is) pushed us 1 over the limit as we have it. Now we are two over. Unless the two slots that were supposed to expire didn't...then we are now full.

oxygenatedbrain
04-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Again...(again...again...it echoes) those spots weren't "supposed to expire", they were to be reviewed......no way Garber has any interest in limiting American jobs in MLS, or putting a marquee franchise at competitive disadvantage. If Preki wants more American slots...why would MLS oppose that?

menefreghista
04-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Who knows right now? The signing of Joseph (or Nane whatever his last name is) pushed us 1 over the limit as we have it. Now we are two over. Unless the two slots that were supposed to expire didn't...then we are now full.

Duane Rollins blogged at 24th minute that TFC doesn't have to sign any Canadians. :facepalm:

http://www.24thminute.com/2010/04/tfc-roster-breakdown.html

Apparently we have spots for 18 non-Canadians.

The only good thing I guess is that the Mo apologists can't pull out the Canadian excuse.

oxygenatedbrain
04-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Good to know...you'd think someone would've asked them by now...just let Duane do it...

trane
04-06-2010, 04:31 PM

Agreed, we need more Gk's and Mids.