PDA

View Full Version : Does TFC employ a 'capologist'?

Blowing Bubbles
04-05-2010, 10:10 PM
hi i'm a noob.

With all of the intricacies of the single entity system, quirks in the cap rules, allocation money implications, etc I would argue that a capologist is absolutely necessary. Especially since the football ppl in charge have never been exposed to this prior to MLS.

The Leafs & Raptors both employ such people. The Raptors guy is a CFA, not a basketball person but he works hand in hand with the GM running 'what if' scenarios in Excel and hitting the goalseek button looking to make things work.

Does TFC employ such a person?

Nuvinho
04-05-2010, 10:14 PM
I asked someone who worked at MLSE, the lawyers do most of the number crunching.

DichioTFC
04-05-2010, 10:19 PM
^ wouldn't an accountant be preferable?

lawyers really shouldnt be trusted with the foresight required to determine athlete depreciation.

Nuvinho
04-05-2010, 10:22 PM
I asked about that (since I was trying to see if I could get a job there..haha!)......since I am an accountant by name, but a statistican by practice.

I don't think you need a full-time capologist in MLS, everything can be automated in a dbase or in excel. Since the MLS does not have daily cap values like the NHL and I think the NBA, they make someone in-house take care of the details.

Nuvinho
04-05-2010, 10:23 PM
Jeff Jackson used to be the leafs Capologist.

Troll
04-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Jeff Jackson? no way!!! :eek6:

Who the fuck is Jeff Jackson?

Kevvv
04-05-2010, 11:41 PM
^ wouldn't an accountant be preferable?

lawyers really shouldnt be trusted with the foresight required to determine athlete depreciation.

Depends. It probably boils down to interpreting what the contracts allow, which wold suggest a lawyer.

nascarguy
04-06-2010, 12:21 AM
mo know's the mls but does not know how to be a good gm he should fire as gm and hired as a capologist