PDA

View Full Version : Nane Joesph signs with TFC

Nuvinho
04-05-2010, 01:41 PM
LukeWileman (http://twitter.com/LukeWileman)

Draft pick Joseph Nane signed to developmental contract by #torontofc (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23torontofc)

Pigfynn
04-05-2010, 01:43 PM
We're going to win the league!

:)

rocker
04-05-2010, 01:45 PM
i thought they did away with developmental contracts? At least Garber or one of his helpers said that terminology is over under the new CBA.

At least Joseph doesn't have the 12000 deal that guys got back in 2007. Haha. 40K minimum now I believe.

Davenport
04-05-2010, 01:47 PM
What's his name...Joseph Nane or Nane Joseph ?

Pigfynn
04-05-2010, 01:48 PM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/04/toronto-signs-nane-contract

Shaughno
04-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Davenport LOL his name is Nane Joseph.

http://www.uslsoccer.com/teams/6187507/6757867-6187564/6968745.html

Nuvinho
04-05-2010, 01:51 PM
is his press release shorter than Gerba's?

profit89
04-05-2010, 01:52 PM
i thought they did away with developmental contracts? At least Garber or one of his helpers said that terminology is over under the new CBA.

At least Joseph doesn't have the 12000 deal that guys got back in 2007. Haha. 40K minimum now I believe.

Yeah... developmental contracts are done !

Don't get it.

reggie
04-05-2010, 01:53 PM

:)
which league.....USL USL2:drinking:

DangerRed
Little does he know that "developmental contract" in TFC parlance means "get suited up, you're starting next weekend."

tfc2007
What has happened with the other kid they drafted? the 17 year old?

Chevy
04-05-2010, 01:54 PM
LOL. I love how in MLS you're a "good young prospect" at 23 years of age.

..and Lionel Messi is 22.

CretanBull
04-05-2010, 01:56 PM
^ Messi is a decent prospect. Next year he'll be a good one :D

billyfly
04-05-2010, 02:00 PM
Is he better than Nani?

http://www.football-pictures.net/data/media/358/Nani_salto.jpg

brad
04-05-2010, 02:07 PM
LOL. I love how in MLS you're a "good young prospect" at 23 years of age.

That is true of many North American sports where players go through the college system

..and Lionel Messi is 22.

Guys like Messi, Ronaldo and Aguero are still the exception overseas. Plenty of players are still considered prospects at that age.

mastermixer
04-05-2010, 02:18 PM
What has happened with the other kid they drafted? the 17 year old?

Zack Herold... he was picked ahead of Nane Joseph wasnt he? Haven't heard anything about him since the draft.

Daveisonfire
04-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Zack Herold... he was picked ahead of Nane Joseph wasnt he? Haven't heard anything about him since the draft.

Isn't he the one who's on a 7 year GA contract? I'd assume we are going to keep him around, its not like he counts against the cap or anything

Shaughno
04-05-2010, 02:31 PM
yeah, pretty sure Herold is already listed on the TFC site isn't he?

Edit: just checked and he is.

rocker
04-05-2010, 02:42 PM
I never heard what the heck was up with Herold... anyone have the latest on why we never see him in any practice video or on the bench.!?!?

TFC Cityboy
04-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Nane and Nana...FFS is my Nan next?

Ben - D.O.W.
04-05-2010, 02:46 PM
I never heard what the heck was up with Herold... anyone have the latest on why we never see him in any practice video or on the bench.!?!?

Didn't it have something to do with him being under 18 and therefore not allowed to play for us until his next birthday? I thought I remembered reading that somewhere.

KezmanCCCC
04-05-2010, 02:49 PM
great another midfielder.... we will have to play a 1-8-1 formation now... lol

Shaughno
04-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Didn't it have something to do with him being under 18 and therefore not allowed to play for us until his next birthday? I thought I remembered reading that somewhere.

Yep, pretty sure it's something along those lines.

Broadview
04-05-2010, 02:51 PM

That's true for international signings, like Sanyang last year.

I don't think that holds weight in this case though. At least it didn't for Ibby in 2008.

devioustrevor
04-05-2010, 02:52 PM
He's 6'2"

Maybe we can convert him to a Centre Half.

devioustrevor
04-05-2010, 02:56 PM

Since he's American FIFA would probably consider an international transfer. Same reason we had to wait for Sanyang last year.

Luanda
04-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Hey folks, what about that 2nd rounder (?) from last year's draft: was it Kyle Hall?
Whatever happened to him? Simply released?

rocker
04-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Since he's American FIFA would probably consider an international transfer. Same reason we had to wait for Sanyang last year.

I don't think so.. cuz he's signed to an American company (MLS). And Ibby was considered an American too but he's been able to play for TFC.

Nonetheless, this wouldn't explain why Herold doesn't even seem to be with the team at all. Sanyang practiced for almost a whole year with the team.

devioustrevor
04-05-2010, 03:30 PM
I don't think so.. cuz he's signed to an American company (MLS). And Ibby was considered an American too but he's been able to play for TFC.

Nonetheless, this wouldn't explain why Herold doesn't even seem to be with the team at all. Sanyang practiced for almost a whole year with the team.

Good points.

At the very least the new NCAA rules means Herold should be playing for TFC Academy since it wouldn't affect the college eligibility of the other academy lads.

Jack
04-05-2010, 03:32 PM
So we're up to what, 17 warm bodies now?

djking2
04-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Herold is still in High school and went back to complete his year last i heard

Pearce321
04-05-2010, 03:50 PM
great another midfielder.... we will have to play a 1-8-1 formation now... lol

I'm fine with that as long as the defender isn't Garcia. :facepalm:

Luanda
04-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Someone needs to update the TFC website fast.
And this not only because of Josephs!

flatpicker
04-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Wait, I'm still confused... is his first name Joseph or Nane?

And how do you pronounce Nane?
Does it rhyme with pain?

TFCRegina
04-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Wait, I'm still confused... is his first name Joseph or Nane?

And how do you pronounce Nane?
Does it rhyme with pain?

Nah-Ney.

Like "No, Mr. Napoleon's Cavalry Marshal!"

flatpicker
04-05-2010, 04:01 PM
^ That's what I thought... but I couldn't think of anything witty to say that rhymes with Nah-Ney

TFCRegina
04-05-2010, 04:06 PM
All I have to say is that if we signed this guy to play a utility midfielder, we better be picking some guys off the Academy and CSL...they can probably produce guys of this quality to fill our bench.

TFCRegina
04-05-2010, 04:09 PM
And for the record, Developmental contracts are still in place. They're just higher than they were before. The league minimum senior contract is 40k, the minimum developmental is 30k (developmentals can range from 30k to 40k), I believe...although I'm not certain of that.

What I am certain of is that they're still in place.

devioustrevor
04-05-2010, 04:11 PM
I thought $40K was the new league minimum.

TFCRegina
04-05-2010, 04:14 PM
I thought $40K was the new league minimum.

For senior contracts, yes.

rocker
04-05-2010, 04:40 PM
And for the record, Developmental contracts are still in place. They're just higher than they were before. The league minimum senior contract is 40k, the minimum developmental is 30k (developmentals can range from 30k to 40k), I believe...although I'm not certain of that.

in the Garber press conference after the CBA deal, one of his dudes or he said "we won't be using that terminology" referring to the developmental term. Maybe they changed their minds, but I distinctly remember a reporter asking him this.

All players have a minimum of 40K from spot 1 to spot 24 on the roster. The 32K thing was something else -- either the homegrown player slots or in case the league adds more senior roster spots, they would start at 32K.

It's all quite fuzzy.

profit89
04-05-2010, 04:47 PM

No.

Developmental Contracts are gone.

*MLS issued a clarification on the new roster and salary guidelines: Each club may have between 18 and 20 players on the senior roster, each of whom will count toward the $2.55 million salary cap. Clubs may have up to four players that do not count against the cap (Generation adidas players or those earning the $40,000 minimum). In the event MLS expands rosters for the purpose of a reserve division, additional players will be known as "apprentices" and earn $31,250. Also, as I understand it, homegrown players (signed from a club's academy) are exempt from roster and salary rules.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2010/03/wednesday_kickaround_53.html

During the media teleconference, Garber and Mark Abbott (President) confirmed that they would no longer be a ``developmental`` contract.

profit89
04-05-2010, 04:51 PM
in the Garber press conference after the CBA deal, one of his dudes or he said "we won't be using that terminology" referring to the developmental term. Maybe they changed their minds, but I distinctly remember a reporter asking him this.

All players have a minimum of 40K from spot 1 to spot 24 on the roster. The 32K thing was something else -- either the homegrown player slots or in case the league adds more senior roster spots, they would start at 32K.

It's all quite fuzzy.

That`s correct.

Read my post above.

I think it works as follows:

There are 18-20 senior roster slots. Each team receives 18-20 senior slots, all of which count against the cap. THEN, 4 Roster slots, cap exempt, but only for GENERATION ADIDAS or THOSE EARNING THE LEAGUE MIN (40K). And then TWO Homegrown slots, cap exempt, but only can be used by Academy Players.

20 + 4 + 2 = 26

ag futbol
04-05-2010, 05:41 PM
All I have to say is that if we signed this guy to play a utility midfielder, we better be picking some guys off the Academy and CSL...they can probably produce guys of this quality to fill our bench.
I agree, it sounds like a warm body that takes up space on the bench (and isn't domestic).

Wonder how much Gerba got out of TFC. If I were him I'd willing sit on that contract for as long as humanly possible.

Super Cereal
04-06-2010, 10:02 PM
http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=1740

Great interview with him. He prefers Joseph Nane.

I like what he was saying, gotta say I'm a fan.

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-06-2010, 10:05 PM
^ He was well spoken. It's always funny how much you pull for someone when they come as a good person. At first I was underwhelmed with this signing, now I'm kind of pulling for him.

rocker
04-06-2010, 11:36 PM
i kinda feel sorry for the guy ... TFC signs him and the first reaction on the boards is basically to wish we had somebody else. Nice way for TFC fans to welcome him to the team ;)

Inklink
04-06-2010, 11:39 PM
Great interview, seems like a nice guy.

Joseph Nane it is.

Super Cereal
04-07-2010, 09:03 AM
^ He was well spoken. It's always funny how much you pull for someone when they come as a good person. At first I was underwhelmed with this signing, now I'm kind of pulling for him.
I agree completely, that's exactly how I am. If I know very little about a guy (and all I know about Nane is what I've read from his wiki and on SBI) that's really all it takes to make me a fan. I'm wishing him the best now, he seems to be really excited and happy to be a part of the team, as everyone should be.

deltox
04-07-2010, 09:06 AM
and back home he went by JO JO.

ag futbol
04-07-2010, 01:14 PM
This is from the comments under the 24th minute blog entry, make of it what you will .. lol

He was rated as one of the poorest players at the Combine and was passed over by every other team at the draft, forcing TFC to use their 4th round pick to take him (by league rules, if you ask for a player to be invited to the Combine, you better be prepared to use a draft pick on him if no one else does).

Super Cereal
04-07-2010, 01:24 PM
This is from the comments under the 24th minute blog entry, make of it what you will .. lol

He was rated as one of the poorest players at the Combine and was passed over by every other team at the draft, forcing TFC to use their 4th round pick to take him (by league rules, if you ask for a player to be invited to the Combine, you better be prepared to use a draft pick on him if no one else does).
I don't put a whole lot of stock into it, because if he really was just a forced pick, why would they sign him?

I mean I know they've had some questionable signings before, and they do need warm bodies, but they didn't sign Kyle Hall last year.

devioustrevor
04-07-2010, 01:43 PM

Well, as the Detroit Red Wings prove a lot of so called experts can routinely be wrong when it comes to evaluating young players.

rocker
04-07-2010, 01:44 PM
I don't put a whole lot of stock into it, because if he really was just a forced pick, why would they sign him?

I mean I know they've had some questionable signings before, and they do need warm bodies, but they didn't sign Kyle Hall last year.

yeah i don't think there's any truth to that. Not every guy who goes to the combine gets drafted. That's the point of the combine -- to see who's good enough and who's not.

since the draft has some pretty ineffectual rounds (and you can actually pass on making a pick, as Mojo has done), "forcing" a team to draft a guy would basically be a big joke.

menefreghista
04-07-2010, 01:49 PM

Desperation?

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-07-2010, 03:42 PM
He's a big physical player, there's likely to be a place for him in the MLS.

ag futbol
04-07-2010, 04:46 PM
He's a big physical player, there's likely to be a place for him in the MLS.
Let's not get into this debate too much, but there's an excess supply of those around. I'd rather put emphasis on something else if we had to pick and choose qualities.

Needless to say, while i would never call a random post on a blog a great source, there was some back chatter about this guy being complete crap at the combine despite TFC picking him up. In the end it's a fourth round pick and that's generally what they turn out to be anyways.

Really, I have no opposition to it except that i think his spot should be going to a domestic instead. It's not like we can't find comparable talent to fill that spot, he's as average as they come.