PDA

View Full Version : August 28 vs. RSL

devioustrevor
04-03-2010, 12:34 PM
TFC hosts RSL on August 28th, that is the day Toronto Metros-Croatia won the Soccer Cup in 1976. Anyone else think it would be kind of cool for TFC to wear Metros-Croatia throwbacks that night as a tribute to those former champions. If the front office was super awesome they'd bring in members of that team, including Eusebio.

Redpunkfiddle
04-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Dunno. Old Timers, please chime in.

TorCanSoc
04-03-2010, 01:31 PM
I forget how long we were Toronto Metro Croatia... I remember going to one game a year with my soccer association. I think we were Toronto Blizzard by then. When we were playing as kids in the 70's, we had no opportunity to get fanatical about the local game. Nothing like TFC is to me today (and for some kids). I don't think I ever watched an NASL soccer game on T.V. as a kid.

In any case... a Blizzard/Croatia throwback wouldn't really mean much to me. In 2017 I will proudly ssssqqqqquuuuuueeeeeeeeeeze into my game#1 2007 jersey.

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-03-2010, 01:33 PM
I don't think that a team that's four years old should be wearing another teams jersey. Maybe something at the begging of the game or at half time?

SoccMan
04-03-2010, 01:40 PM
I think it would be a great idea, that Metros Croatia championsip was our last North American soccer championship in a major league type league in soccer. I remember watching the champoinship game on tv on CBS, the game was televised live on a major national tv station in the USA and Canada.

Detroit_TFC
04-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Maybe invite former players to get some recognition before the match. That would be interesting.

kodiakTFC
04-03-2010, 02:04 PM
Bring in former players yes. Where the jerseys no.

ecospice
04-03-2010, 02:09 PM
TFC hosts RSL on August 28th, that is the day Toronto Metros-Croatia won the Soccer Cup in 1976. Anyone else think it would be kind of cool for TFC to wear Metros-Croatia throwbacks that night as a tribute to those former champions. If the front office was super awesome they'd bring in members of that team, including Eusebio.

[I was born in '76, so have no memory of this but, why should I let a minor detail like that stop me from commenting]. So...

Hell yes, and, if Eusebio or anyone else can score goals or play CB, let's sign them up and let them play...:p

rocker
04-03-2010, 02:15 PM
ya they could do some notice of it before the game with the old players on the field for a wave and a thank you. But the throwback jersey thing is a bit much at this point i think.

ensco
04-03-2010, 04:03 PM
I was there for that (at least I'm old enough to remember watching that game on TV).

The Blizzard of 3-5 years later (in the Cosmos megateam era) were a far bigger deal. I'd do something to memorialize the Blizzard before I did anything for the Metros-Croatia.