PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Saturday,Apr.03

denime
04-03-2010, 06:42 AM
Mornin'

No TFC news for now.

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

spark
04-03-2010, 08:18 AM
With 14 days between CLB and NE - and given (IMO) for the most part TFC didn't look as bad as preseason indicated - with NE focused on DC this week, here's thinking they will be more than prepared to take all three points next weekend.

TFC's CLEAN SLATE (http://www.rednationonline.ca/TFCs_Clean_Slate_apr_3_10_column.shtml)

Eastend
04-03-2010, 08:49 AM
This 2 week game break is the best thing that could've happened. With a couple players coming in just before the 1st match and us not looking as bad as season predictions would have had you think, I do expect to see the boys 1-1 at the home opener.

ArmenJBX
04-03-2010, 08:50 AM
This 2 week game break is the best thing that could've happened. With a couple players coming in just before the 1st match and us not looking as bad as season predictions would have had you think, I do expect to see the boys 1-1 at the home opener.

1-1? Let's try 2-0 TFC with goals from LaBrocca and De Rosario. :D

scooter
04-03-2010, 08:56 AM
mornin d

and yes only a win will do

flatpicker
04-03-2010, 09:03 AM
1-1? Let's try 2-0 TFC with goals from LaBrocca and De Rosario. :D

I think he meant 1 win and 1 loss by the home opener.

Damien
04-03-2010, 09:17 AM
http://torontofc.tumblr.com/post/492728650/as-per-rednationonline-tfc-is-trialing-judah

As per @rednationonline TFC is trialing Judah Hernandez. A 23 year old midfielder/forward who played in the CSL, he’s pacy & attack-minded.

Roogsy
04-03-2010, 09:32 AM
Another midfielder...great. :rolleyes:

Damien
04-03-2010, 09:35 AM
^ He's from the CSL so he'll hopefully he's cheap.

[NBF]
04-03-2010, 10:04 AM
Good to hear TFC is at least looking in Canada. I was going to post yesterday in the thread about the lack of scouting in Canada by TFC. You have to admit when teams like West Ham and Blackburn are able to find a few gems, if you are a MLS team i'm sure you can find at least 13 Canadian players to add to the starting/foreign 11.

Did anyone catch the CBC piece they did leading to the World Cup this morning? I think it was called "The Beautiful Game". It might be an article on CBC website. It mainly said that Canada is hungry for soccer and that the NASL Montreal team use to average 50,000 fans per game and for soccer to grow in North America the talent quality/pool needs to grow:canada:

So, if TFC is only letting kids from the fan club join the TFC Academy, then they better smarten up and start scouting for talent.:scarf:

Roogsy
04-03-2010, 10:11 AM
;959355']Good to hear TFC is at least looking in Canada. I was going to post yesterday in the thread about the lack of scouting in Canada by TFC. You have to admit when teams like West Ham and Blackburn are able to find a few gems, if you are a MLS team i'm sure you can find at least 13 Canadian players to add to the starting/foreign 11.

Did anyone catch the CBC piece they did leading to the World Cup this morning? I think it was called "The Beautiful Game". It might be an article on CBC website. It mainly said that Canada is hungry for soccer and that the NASL Montreal team use to average 50,000 fans per game and for soccer to grow in North America the talent quality/pool needs to grow:canada:

So, if TFC is only letting kids from the fan club join the TFC Academy, then they better smarten up and start scouting for talent.:scarf:

Bringing in Canadian kids is fine and dandy but it barely makes sense when you drop serviceable established Canadian players like Serioux.

And these Canadian kids will surely become useful...but we are still trying to build the starting XI, that should come first before looking at trialing kids in the CSL that are going to get zero playing time this season and sit all the bench.

1 week into this 2 week break and barely any good news out of the TFC camp, it looks as though it will be a wasted break.

ManUtd4ever
04-03-2010, 10:19 AM
I don't think much can be expected in terms of significant reinforcements to the roster until the next transfer window at the conclusion of the european schedule. It's disappointing, but Preki will have to make due with the current lineup (and any of the current trialists that may be signed) for the immediate future...

Roogsy
04-03-2010, 10:22 AM
I don't think much can be expected in terms of significant reinforcements to the roster until the next transfer window at the conclusion of the european schedule. It's disappointing, but Preki will have to make due with the current lineup (and any of the current trialists that may be signed) for the immediate future...

I agree.

Which is always my biggest problem with Mo's now established practice of going into a season unready. It has consistently translated into "hoping" that at the next transfer window he can pick somebody up. Meanwhile, I suspect we will have another disastrous beginning to a season putting the team behind from the start. His inadequacies are creating obstacles for this team to succeed.

Whoop
04-03-2010, 10:27 AM
Give Mo credit... goes into the season unprepared... everyone is upset and angry... next transfer window he signs a player everyone is happy again...

Why go into the season with a full squad and make everyone happy? I mean what happens if that squad stinks and Mo can't make any more moves... :rolleyes:

Just does enough to appease the masses. I think the board showed him the Leafs blueprint.

Rudi
1 week into this 2 week break and barely any good news out of the TFC camp, it looks as though it will be a wasted break.
There hasn't been any bad news, either. :D

Whoop
Wait until Saturday night. :(

ManUtd4ever
04-03-2010, 10:28 AM
I agree.

Which is always my biggest problem with Mo's now established practice of going into a season unready. It has consistently translated into "hoping" that at the next transfer window he can pick somebody up. Meanwhile, I suspect we will have another disastrous beginning to a season putting the team behind from the start. His inadequacies are creating obstacles for this team to succeed.

No argument there. Our only hope of avoiding a disastrous start is Preki's ability to potentially guide the club to overachieve. It doesn't seem likely at the moment based on the glaring deficiencies of the roster but I saw glimmers of hope last week...

Rudi
04-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Wait until Saturday night. :(
I doubt it. I think NE is ripe for the taking.

Whoop
04-03-2010, 10:29 AM
I hope so Rudi. I hope so.

Roogsy
04-03-2010, 10:35 AM
No argument there. Our only hope of avoiding a disastrous start is Preki's ability to potentially guide the club to overachieve. It doesn't seem likely at the moment based on the glaring deficiencies of the roster but I saw glimmers of hope last week...

I agree. But it frustrates me that this is what we have to count on to succeed. That is not a recipe for winning, it's putting your eggs in one basket and counting on luck. For a numbers guy, this is frightening.

ag futbol
04-03-2010, 10:35 AM
There hasn't been any bad news, either. :D
No they just decided to lump all that on us up front.

[NBF]
04-03-2010, 10:48 AM
;959355']Good to hear TFC is at least looking in Canada. I was going to post yesterday in the thread about the lack of scouting in Canada by TFC. You have to admit when teams like West Ham and Blackburn are able to find a few gems, if you are a MLS team i'm sure you can find at least 13 Canadian players to add to the starting/foreign 11.

Judah Hernandez, he's from T&T and he's a guy looking for his big break for over 3 years, I think he might be here to trial and be gone after one game if signed.

If he played in the CSL it was a long time ago. You might as well have Dave Simpson on trial, but apparently he's signed to Heracles in Holland.

Beach_Red
04-03-2010, 10:53 AM
I agree. But it frustrates me that this is what we have to count on to succeed. That is not a recipe for winning, it's putting your eggs in one basket and counting on luck. For a numbers guy, this is frightening.

It's a recipe to win in MLS, though. The teams are so close skill-wise that the only reason someone like RSL wins the Cup last year is by overachieving and luck. At the moment that's just the kind of league it is.

TFCRegina
04-03-2010, 10:57 AM

It's essentially requiring him to work a Chivas USA with TFC...it never should have came to this. We are a big spending team, but all of our money has been allocated in the wrong way over the past 3 years...he's just dealing with the mess.

It is scary isn't it?

Roogsy
04-03-2010, 11:09 AM
It's a recipe to win in MLS, though. The teams are so close skill-wise that the only reason someone like RSL wins the Cup last year is by overachieving and luck. At the moment that's just the kind of league it is.

For this statement to be true, there would have to be precedent that proves it to be accurate. I can't think of one. This is simply taking the belief that on any given day any MLS team can beat another to an extreme by stating that any team can have extended success just by pure luck.

Real Salt Lake is not an example of that. They are an example of a team that has progressed each of the past few years with stable coaching and a stable roster, keen signings and THEN added to that, a little luck to win the championship.

We're missing out on the stable coaching, the innovative and effective signings and just relying on luck. RSL is in no way similar to Toronto so to say we can enjoy similar success is simply looking for similarities where there are very, very few.

CretanBull
04-03-2010, 11:12 AM
;959355']

Did anyone catch the CBC piece they did leading to the World Cup this morning? I think it was called "The Beautiful Game". It might be an article on CBC website. It mainly said that Canada is hungry for soccer and that the NASL Montreal team use to average 50,000 fans per game and for soccer to grow in North America the talent quality/pool needs to grow

50,000 fans as an average can't be right...I used to go to Manic games and the attendence was around 20-25k at the big O. Before the Manics, the Olympique used to play in a stadium that probably had a max capacity of about 30k.

Maybe for individual games 50,000 turned up at the Big O, but there's no way that was the average...I went to games when there might have been 10-12k (especially in the last year).

Roogsy
04-03-2010, 11:19 AM
And given the difficult economic environment, especially in Montreal, I doubt there is excessive demand of this kind.

I think Montreal can see results in the TFC range, averaging 20k per game is doable.

CretanBull
04-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Montreal would match our success...they have a lot of the same social/cultural etc. conditions that made TFC a hit.

Beach_Red
04-03-2010, 11:34 AM
For this statement to be true, there would have to be precedent that proves it to be accurate. I can't think of one. This is simply taking the belief that on any given day any MLS team can beat another to an extreme by stating that any team can have extended success just by pure luck.

Real Salt Lake is not an example of that. They are an example of a team that has progressed each of the past few years with stable coaching and a stable roster, keen signings and THEN added to that, a little luck to win the championship.

We're missing out on the stable coaching, the innovative and effective signings and just relying on luck. RSL is in no way similar to Toronto so to say we can enjoy similar success is simply looking for similarities where there are very, very few.

Oh, it's true, RSL's owners have gone "all in," spending a lot of money on an academy, signing that agreement with Real Madrid and operating with an overall vision that our ownership certainly lacks.

But at the beginning of last season no one expected them to win the Cup ;).

Beach_Red
04-03-2010, 11:37 AM
Montreal would match our success...they have a lot of the same social/cultural etc. conditions that made TFC a hit.

Yes, and the lack of baseball and basketball is also a big factor. They'll get more media coverage, sponsorship money and so on.

ag futbol
04-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Oh, it's true, RSL's owners have gone "all in," spending a lot of money on an academy, signing that agreement with Real Madrid and operating with an overall vision that our ownership certainly lacks.

But at the beginning of last season no one expected them to win the Cup ;).
Well quick comparison, when RSL first came into the league they were led by some bubbling idiot. They fired said, bubbling idiot and Jason Kreis has done a good job evaluating talent since then.

Sure they squeaked in by one point to the playoffs, but spot-by-spot, do you really think they compare to TFC? I'd say no, as they generally seem more well rounded, have better wing play, better AM/DM combo in the centre, semi-competent defenders and coach as opposed to incompetent, and more than one decent threat up top. They also made the playoffs in 2008.

So while they might of had a forgettable season, I wouldn't hesitate to put them ahead of TFC.

TFCRegina
04-03-2010, 11:45 AM
^ I believe the word is bumbling :P

Ornoch is available on a free now, if TFC were to acquire him, we'd have some more midfield depth...but what we really need is a striker or a centrehalf.

Beach_Red
04-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Well quick comparison, when RSL first came into the league they were led by some bubbling idiot. They fired said, bubbling idiot and Jason Kreis has done a good job evaluating talent since then.

Sure they squeaked in by one point to the playoffs, but spot-by-spot, do you really think they compare to TFC? I'd say no, as they generally seem more well rounded, have better wing play, better AM/DM combo in the centre, semi-competent defenders and coach as opposed to incompetent, and more than one decent threat up top. They also made the playoffs in 2008.

So while they might of had a forgettable season, I wouldn't hesitate to put them ahead of TFC.

Yes, I would put them ahead of TFC as well - they are the reigning champions, after all, and it's true when you look a little deeper it wasn't such a fluke.

But Kreis wasn't an instant success and during the regular season last yar they were one point better than TFC.

The difference, I think, is that there's responsibility taken a higher level there than here. It's much more than just firing the "bumbling idiot," and carrying on. The teams are run in a completely different way and the gap between them will continue to widen.

ag futbol
04-03-2010, 11:52 AM
^ you got it, that's what i ended to post but the Judah Hernandez thread messed with my mind. I will leave it for all to admire my stupidity :P

Ornoch should have come to MLS a while back. For my money he's better than Will Johnston.

Redpunkfiddle
04-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Just for the record, RSL was widely expected to do well last year after getting close to the final in 2008. They underachieved in the regular season.

By the time they squeaked into the playoffs expectations had dimmed.

djking2
04-03-2010, 02:32 PM
I agree.

problem with Mo's now established practice of going into a season unready. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, "hoping" that at the next transfer window he can pick somebody up. ,,,,,,,,,we will have another disastrous beginning to a season ........ His inadequacies are creating obstacles.

I have to agree on the facts of the first part, that's what he's doing again. Although he doesn't have to wait if the player is already available.

On the third part I know in the last two seasons if the team had finished the last 15 games the way they played the first 15 we'd have been in the playoffs.

The last one is pure opinion and considering last week they announced arguably the biggest change in the roster regulations in the history of the league the situation is pretty much open for debate. Perhaps Mo has just been preparing the way to make a couple more significant roster additions and come November looks golden

Ya never know

J .
04-03-2010, 03:44 PM

They finished one point ahead of us and that was with the 5-0 embarassment.

I would suggest that DeRo and JDG are much better than their DM/AM combo. However, our wing play has been always weak.

menefreghista
04-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Perhaps Mo has just been preparing the way to make a couple more significant roster additions and come November looks golden

This is highly doubtful because our current cap situation is a disaster.

CoachGT
04-03-2010, 04:30 PM
This is highly doubtful because our current cap situation is a disaster.

I'm not so sure the cap situation is as bad as some make it out to be. I think we've got a fair bit of room. I think the issue is less with cap and more with the nationality of players. We're limited in the number of US and internationals we can play, and I think that is more of an issue to us than anything else.

Pigfynn
04-03-2010, 06:45 PM
^ Lee Godfrey doesn't think so as per his interview on yesterday's It's Called Football podcast. He said he didn't think there was much room at all.

Waggy
04-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Off the top of my head, this off-season we moved 350k of Robbo for actually nothing (even if half his salary is still hitting us), JDG's cap hit dropped 75k, and the cap increased by 200k. The rest of the moves basically evened out money wise from what I can recall, and of late we've been getting guys on the cheap. I wouldn't be shocked if we had a fair bit of room. Esp if we can find someone to take Gerbas contract off the books.

ag futbol
04-03-2010, 08:39 PM
They finished one point ahead of us and that was with the 5-0 embarassment.

I would suggest that DeRo and JDG are much better than their DM/AM combo. However, our wing play has been always weak.
Well in theory i think you're correct. JDG and Dero is much more talent than Morales / Beckerman. But the thing is Dero really doesn't fit into that AM spot and link with the DM well. He plays more like a support striker, but hates to call himself one.

So I tend to think that, while we look better on paper. Dero isn't really playing the AM spot, so he doesn't enter the equation. JDG (as long as he's been here) hasn't been able to link play as well as we'd hoped.

So I'd still say they are better because they work together seamlessly and they have two defined guys playing each of those roles. We have one guy who's a DM everybody wants to make a box-to-box or AM when he's not. The other guy we rely on in the middle is a mystery.. we're always pairing two different guys in there and the results have been poor.